View Full Version : Please settle an argument!! Egg shells and the disposal!!

JJT
01-28-2005, 10:02 PM
I believe that you are not supposed to put egg shells down the garbage disposal.

Others believe it is fine, and actually helps sharpen the blades.

I need a ruling here!!!

JJT

MoMo
01-28-2005, 10:04 PM
i agree with that they help sharpen the blades. It is safe.

Did I win???!!!!

busman
01-28-2005, 10:04 PM
I send them down the drain. Mrs Bus saves them for the composte bin. I have heard it is fine to run them in the disposal.

dazzler
01-28-2005, 10:06 PM
It depends on how many you shove down at once. Sometimes a large quantity can actually plug up the pipe - same with potato peels. If you feed them at intervals there's no problem. I've spent many a time plunging egg shells from my 1 h.p. disposal which is rated for peach pits....LOL

mrsdragoness
01-28-2005, 10:07 PM
I grind them up and use them on my plants. I've heard its OK to put them in the disposal..onion skins don't do well in them though

JJT
01-28-2005, 10:07 PM
Thank you.

I guess I was misinformed!! (never wrong, just misinformed!!)

JJT

jdcjmc1
01-28-2005, 10:12 PM
i have always been told never to put egg shells in drain..i think it has soemthing to do with the skin that fotms around the shell

California Sunshine
02-05-2005, 08:00 PM
I too have been told not to although I don't know the reason why.I'm just used to putting them in the trash

Ravenslove
02-05-2005, 08:04 PM
I am not sure but I always err on the safe side so my egg shells go in the trash.

betrayed_4_life
02-05-2005, 08:24 PM
I have always put them in the disposal.

Also, I put the orange and lemon rinds in there to freshen up the drain.

MomsInTrouble
02-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Okay, here's the skinny from my plumber: Egg shells do not damage the garbage disposal itself. It depends on WHERE your waste goes as to the egg shell question. If you have a septic tank, do NOT put egg shells down the disposal as the bacteria that eats the waste cannot digest the shells. However, if you are connected to city/county sewage, it is fine. Plumber says don't put anything fibrous into the disposal such as asparagus or celery.

JJT
02-05-2005, 11:26 PM
If you have a septic tank, do NOT put egg shells down the disposal as the bacteria that eats the waste cannot digest the shells. However, if you are connected to city/county sewage, it is fine. Plumber says don't put anything fibrous into the disposal such as asparagus or celery.
Thank you!!! So I did hear that somewhere along the line......... having lived on septics several times in my history!!

We were both right. Ha!

JJT

California Sunshine
02-06-2005, 12:41 AM
I have always put them in the disposal.

Also, I put the orange and lemon rinds in there to freshen up the drain.

I have to try that! Of course I never eat healthy so it may be waiting a while LOL

CRAZY4ALBERT
02-06-2005, 12:44 AM
I Was Told That You Are Not Supposed To, But I Do It Anyway, For Goodness Sake, Their Egg Shells, What Harm Can They Do?

Demi
02-06-2005, 12:57 AM
An interesting tidbit- after you boil eggs, let the water cool and then water your plants with it. Some trace mineral that gets into the water from the shells is good for your plants.

Doc's Sis
02-06-2005, 03:46 AM
If you have city services (sewage), ok to put the shells in the disposal. I worked as an apartment manger for many years and saw many things. Many people didn't know how to use the disposal properly. NEVER push food into it until after you've turned on the COLD water and let it run for a bit. Then - start pushing food into the disposal. After you've pushed all the food into it, let the water continue to run for a minute or two so that it will all be pushed out of the pipes and into the outside line! Then you won't have a stopped up disposal or stopped up sink.
As one person mentioned, never put onion, celery or any stringy thing in there! I wouldn't put peach pits in (or bones of any kind) either even if the manufacturer says it's ok to do so! If you don't have instrucitons for your disposal, do a search and find some guidelines on the internet.