View Full Version : Good Time in Illinois

18months
01-31-2005, 06:13 PM
I found the following on the Illinois DOC page and thought I would post it. Since I am new to all of this mess.... I was wondering just what good time means, so here is what I found. You may have already known about this and it may be posted somewhere, but I couldn't find it, so I went searching.

What is Good Time? There are four types of good time, however not all inmates are eligible for each type.

Statutory Good Time refers to the percentage of time an inmate must spend incarcerated. Some inmates convicted of non-violent crimes must spend 50% of their sentences incarcerated. Others who are convicted of violent crimes must spend 85% of their sentences incarcerated under "truth in sentencing" laws, or 100% if convicted of murder. The inmate’s release date is based on the custody date of the crime which is set by the sentencing court.

Meritorious Good Time refers to the discretionary 90-days the director may grant to any inmate based on their behavior while incarcerated. Please note that the award of meritorious good time is not automatic, it is at the discretion of the director.

Supplemental Meritorious Good Time refers to a second block of 90-days that the director may award to nonviolent offenders. Again, it is not automatic and inmates convicted of violent crimes and Class X crimes are not eligible. Meritorious good time must be earned before supplemental meritorious good time will be considered.

Earned Good Conduct Credit refers to time earned by an inmate for participation in education, drug treatment or Illinois Correctional Industries programs. Again, not all inmates are eligible; inmates convicted of violent and Class X crimes are not eligible. Inmates earn one-half day off their sentence for each day of participation in such programs if they successfully complete the programs (Example: if an eligible inmate completes a drug treatment program that is 30-days in duration, he may be awarded 15-days off his sentence).

TONYGIRL
01-31-2005, 10:28 PM
Thanks, I never did read about it, now you have found it for me. I can try to understand it also.

18months
02-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks, I never did read about it, now you have found it for me. I can try to understand it also.
Hey Tony Girl! Nice new picture! Yer lookin' good!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TONYGIRL
02-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks, that was taken last Christmas, I took another this past Wed but I've been having a hard time trying to post it. But that is my honey.

TONYGIRL
02-08-2005, 08:54 PM
the one above is the one taken this past wed.