View Full Version : Segovia Prison Unit - Edinburg, Texas

clintswife
01-31-2005, 07:17 PM
does anyone have a husband in the segovia unit in edingburg texas?

joenash4lyf
01-31-2005, 08:29 PM
Not mine.You'd get mor accurate info in the tX forum.By the welcome to PTO And god bless

jeffsprincess
01-31-2005, 08:39 PM
Welcome to PTO! I also agree, post this in the Texas forum.

BryansGirl
02-09-2005, 12:17 AM
My man is also at the Segovia Unit, he has been there since Sept 12 2004

txsfmhstn
03-04-2005, 03:13 PM
I have a son at the Segovia Unit. If you have questions pm me and I will try to answer them from what I know about the unit.

a_coleman
04-20-2005, 07:43 PM
My husband was on the Segovia Unit, and he said that it was a real laid back unit, but it was just too far away from home (dallas) and it was way too HOT in the summer. It's way down in south Texas by the mexico border, so its gets really hot down there. Other than that he didn't have any problems on that unit

NuNu713
04-21-2005, 12:41 AM
My boyfriends at Lopez which is right next door. He says that it is really hot there in the summer, its really close to McAllen.

Yvette
04-21-2005, 11:28 AM

Hello... Welcome to PTO!!! My husband is also at the Segovia Unit. He's been there since September 2004.

txchic
04-21-2005, 01:00 PM
my husband is at lopez unit which is right next door. My husband says it is VERY HOT there now. Any questions - let me know.

sweetsomebdoy23
04-21-2005, 01:43 PM
I live maybe 10 minutes away from the segovia and lopez units but they put my ray-ray at the willacy state jail in raymondville tx 30 minutes away

MsToyZ
12-22-2005, 10:36 AM
I am in Florida and I have a friend in the Segovia Unit. Here in Florida there are websites you can access that give you updated information about the inmates along with pictures of them. Does TX have anything like that?

txsfmhstn
12-31-2005, 10:39 PM
TDCJ is not likely to do anything like that for the families of the inmates. This past summer it was extremely hot at the Segovia unit, what is worse they don't sell fans. I noticed that they changed the type of unit it is now to strictly a pre-release so hopefully those guys can get fans by the time summer is here again. My son was moved off that unit so I don't have to travel there anymore, thank god!

jeroid's gal
12-31-2005, 11:50 PM
So they officially changed it to a pre-release unit now?????? If so does it still mean contact visits for everyone now that it's changed???

txsfmhstn
01-01-2006, 01:23 AM
You would have to call the unit to find out about the visits being all contact. I will be going to see my son tomorrow and will ask him about the Segovia before it is over and I will pm you with what he tells me. It says on the TDCJ website that it is a pre-release unit.

txsfmhstn
01-02-2006, 01:15 AM
Nothing has changed at the Segovia as of yet. So good luck!

jeroid's gal
01-02-2006, 05:25 AM
Thank you for checking!

gamma577
01-04-2006, 09:44 PM
My son is there and i had contact visit and its not all that bad considering it is a unit.Take care all and oh yes you can bring20 dollars in change in abaggie for goodies but you are the only one that can get it for him.Watch what you say because they do monator your conversations,I notice that when I satarted to look around.But it is not a bad plase.Take care al Gamma577

ilovemyhusband
09-06-2007, 10:31 PM
My husband just arrived in Segovia today. I have no idea how to get there or what airline flys to Edinburg. I live in Phoenix. I also have no idea about hotels to stay at while i am visiting. Can someone hook a sista up with some info, PLEASE!

Adrienne
09-07-2007, 11:46 AM
My guy just left there at the end of May. he spent his last 6 months there. If you have any particular questions PM me back and I'll ask him. It is a good unit for him to be at but it gets hot because there is no AC. The closest airport in in McAllen. From there it about a 25 minute drive. I used to drive there from Dallas (9 hour drive) every month and I would stay at Echo Motel in Edinburg. It was the nicest with the best price. About $40 a night with a good breakfast included and a beverage at night in their bar. Let me know f you need more info and we will try to help out.

RMD4EVER
10-10-2007, 06:19 PM
My husband has been there for 6 months now.Thanks Adrienne for the 411,it will be helpful.

cmsmom
12-21-2007, 10:48 PM
My son is at Segovia.Way to far for me to go see him. He said he is only 36 mile sfrom the Mexico border.They don't have any plug ins is why they don't have fans.

RMD4EVER
12-24-2007, 05:57 PM
hey cms,your son coming home soon?

cmsmom
12-25-2007, 09:07 PM
hey cms,your son coming home soon?My son won't get out until Feb 2009.

RMD4EVER
01-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Only 13 more months cms,God bless and Happy New Year!

rhughessrwifie
01-12-2009, 01:23 PM

my husband is in segovia unit.

JaycieDnTejas
01-15-2009, 07:09 PM
My grandson's father is at Segovia.

angelita05
01-27-2009, 05:57 PM
well my boyfriend is in segovia right now. i think he's been there for like a month and a half or so... i was wondering if anyone knows how it is over there, if its a good place to be not so strict or how do they treat the inmates over there and all...

karen
01-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Hubby is in Segovia. He says it is a pretty "laid back unit." And he is realitively happy there. I will say that I am not impressed with the way the unit is ran.

The mail room ladies like to be over exuberant in thier denial of mail content. I have had to call Huntsville and talk to the DRC several times over mail that is being denied.

I had problems with inmate records when we were getting the common law established. My first set of forms I sent, supposedly did not get to them, (kind of makes you wonder about the mail room) and then the second set I sent registered mail, and they did get them , but processing was slow. When I had surgery, I called up the unit and left message for the chaplian to call me back. He never did. I left messages on three separate occasions. Finally, I ended up talking to the assistant warden (warden wasn't there) on that situation. Hubby been trying to get a pair of boots from commissary for nearly 4 months. I finally called commissary to find out what is going on. Ended up calling the warehouse. It just seems like no one on that unit wants to put forth any effort in thier jobs. They are really good at passing the buck.

I will say this, at visitation the lady CO who is usually there checking people in is a sweet heart! And hubby works on the maintenance crew and he says his boss is a very nice and fair man. So there are good people there.

Really my biggest issue has been with the mail room. Tell your boyfriend that if they deny any of your letters, for him to contest the denial.

Hopes this helps some and good luck!

trishie35
05-13-2009, 03:55 PM
My son just got there today, any help on visitation would be great! do they get work jobs or how do they pass the time?

jersgurl
07-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Hi my name is brandy my husband just got transfered out there and i have no way to get out there to visit i would be willing to help with gas money if you would like to go out there together and visit u can give me a call if you want 214-336-2259

ciberpine
07-31-2010, 04:54 PM
No, but we have a son there.

jersgurl
08-24-2010, 06:17 PM
hi my name is brandy and i have a husband in this unit

snavely1329
08-25-2010, 04:32 PM
I have a husband here too! My name is Kimi

cutekittycats2
09-20-2010, 07:35 PM

Yes just recently, he arrived there on 9/16/2010. they denied his parole and assigned him the unit.

deeintx
09-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Welcome to pto and I'm sorry about you denial...my son is there also new to the unit ...I haven't went to visit him there since its too far and he should be moved closer fairly soon...we talk on the phone more now... I don't have any insight to add about the unit..its not been the best unit my son has been to. but others say its layed back and he agrees somewhat.. Best of luck and hope your able to visit soon and that you don't have much time left to finish... :) deeintx

deeintx
10-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Well, Grandpa and Grandma drove the 18 hour round trip and visited yesterday.. they were pleasantly surprised with the visiting room and the overall appearence of the facility, also said everyone was very friendly :) my son seemed in good spirits and except for the spider invasion (they seemed to be everywhere -tho it is October lol) had no complaints...I haven't been able to visit this unit do to the distance so this was reassuring news...deeintx

mrsrussell22
04-20-2011, 01:28 PM
My husband just go to segovia and trying to find the best hotel so i can go see him and if its close to the unit. does anyone know how the unit is now??? if its still a laid back unit and if they can call home?

auprd
06-12-2011, 12:48 PM
My man was moved there 3-4 weeks ago. Since we live in the Amarillo area, when he was moved outside of Lubbock, we were so thankful. Now a yr later they move him as far south as possible. :( so disappointing

I notice it is listed as a pre-release facility. Is there a reason inmates are moved to these facilities? or just coincidence?

ljv
07-01-2011, 12:36 PM
does anyone know if segovia unit is on lockdown or their phone are not working. because my husband told me he was going to call me on the 1st at 10:00 but he never did and that i not like him. Im worried.

shotjas
07-19-2011, 09:58 AM
does anyone know if segovia unit is on lockdown or their phone are not working. because my husband told me he was going to call me on the 1st at 10:00 but he never did and that i not like him. Im worried.
The odds that they are on lockdown this time of year, not too likely. I was released from the unit back in Oct 2010. We had just finished a annual then. I think the next one is going to be around Aug/Sep. It's too hot currently to have them locked down. As for the phones, there were several occasions that the system was just offline or something wonkey happened. Took a few days for the person in charge to even realize it was offline. If you still have problems, contact them on the Lopez unit as they are not located on the Segovia. Lopez/Segovia share the same resources.

tfreeman
09-29-2011, 05:20 PM
what is this unit like, my boyfriend just got sent there. i have no idea what he has to look forward to. is it like a ranch or what. i am from the state of sc and i have no idea about this unit. thanks for all the info you may give me in advance.

tfreeman
09-29-2011, 09:25 PM
i dont have a husband there but my boyfriend just got sent there; can you give me any information of what this place is like.