View Full Version : Grimes Correctional Facility - Arkansas

Jade01
02-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Grimes Unit

Location: Four miles northeast of Newport, off Highway 384 in Jackson County.
Mailing Address: 300 Wackenhut Way
Newport, AR
72112-33493
Telephone: 870-523-5877
Fax Number: 870-523-8302
Employees: 144
Established: 1998, managed by Wackenhut Corrections Corp.
Unit Capacity: 600

Operations:
Substance Abuse Treatment Program, education and Technical Parole Violator Program.

Directions: From Little Rock travel approximately 100 miles north on Highway 67 North. Turn right on Exit 83, Highway 384. Travel approximately 2 miles and turn left on 384S (Wackenhutway Road), Grimes Unit on the left.

lakecitygal
07-12-2005, 07:19 PM
hi... i have a son in grimes unit.how is it in there.not yet visit him..and this is my frist time on here..loving mom

D's Wifey To Be
04-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Hey! My boyfriend was there and he said it was pretty much a calm atmosphere. He was only there 2 or 3 months but he said nothing bad was going on in there or anything like that. Visitation was okay too.

lilwedita2006
09-18-2007, 05:14 PM
my bro is at grimes just got there and wanted to know when u can visit and stuff and regulations

ittybittykitty
09-18-2007, 09:45 PM
I believe it is the same as other Arkansas ADC units...Saturday & Sunday 12-4.You will have to fill out a visitation form and be approved by his warden.Which can take 2 to 6 weeks.I think they all visit according to class and last names A-M are Saturday and N-Z Sunday.....or close to that. You can call the visitation clerk at Grimes adn get all the info you need from them. Call the main number and ask for them.
Oh yes Welcome to PTO Arkansas Forum.Best of Luck to you & your family.Be Blessed..........Kitty

UBO
09-19-2007, 12:37 AM
Saturday visits are more crowded but the machines are full. I visit on Sundays. It is pretty laid back on the sundays we go. They alternate COs and my inmate likes the ones on these sundays. I see lots of kissing and hugging. They finally have a small area with mats for the children and I even saw an inmate and his female visitor rolling around on these mats with lots of contact. I was surprised but like I said, it is usually pretty laid back. Also on these Sundays, they don't seem to be as picky about the dress code and shoes as I have seen on the alternate sundays or worse, when we went on saturdays. I think it all depends on whose in charge and the worse one has moved on I hear. You wait in line in a line of cars. They wave you up when they are ready to do the car searches. You get out of the car and open your trunk. They ask year and model of the car, look at your license and write down your tag number. They give you a little piece of paper with a number on it. Then you move on into the parking area. Be sure to put the paper with the number on it on your dashboard so it can be seen. Make sure you lock all your car doors. You go up to the first gate and they buzz you thru. Then you are buzzed thru a second gate. Then into the lobby area. Waiting in a line there. A clipboard with a sign in sheet is passed down this line. You put your name, inmates name, the time and if any children are with you. When you get to the front of the line, you give them your driver's license and your inmate's ADC number. They give you another slip of paper with your name and the inmates name on it. You go to the line in front of the metal doors. When they decide to open these doors, about 12 Noon, here is where you go thru the metal detectors. Then down a long hall, another locked door where they take the paper with the names and let you in. This is the visiting are. Short rows of conjoined chairs. Fairly comfortable though. My back is bad and so far I have had no trouble and we sit for 3 hours. I am kind of antisocial and it is hard for me to have contact with so many people and with so much noise but I focus on my inmate and we try to get him what he wants to eat and drink and the time flies by. Oh and Kitty is right about the visits. The first inital of last name is how they decide which day. The inmate's classification decides if he can have weekly visits or twice a month visits. It will all be fine and the first time was the worse just not knowing what to expect.

lovedonlybyone
01-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi I am a wife of someone in Gimes unit and i would like to know if anyone has heared about a Febuary kickout?

ittybittykitty
01-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Check out the Ark News and events.....Pods posted some info on this.Go to Arkansas Main page ....second section down on the list.:)

pearl_rose1986
02-04-2008, 06:35 PM
My husband was just moved to Grimes from Wrightsville. It was a shock as it was done this afternoon. I kept calling and asking and so did he and the lady didn't know why they moved him. At least he was moved with 9 other guys from his unit. I was freaked out to visit him at Wrightsville for the first time (I've only been twice) and now I have to find and get use to another place. All this information is really helpful though.

sadgrl
02-17-2008, 09:39 PM
My fiance is in grimes. Been there for just over a month now. From what I have read it is not a bad place to be considering where he could be so i am at least thankful for that. But I am in Missouri so calls are more expensive and i have to wait the 30 days to see him since we are not married yet. Hopefully will get to see him march 8.

chelsbell
04-15-2010, 12:08 AM
my husband is at grimes, he is sick and is at the infirmary hes only been there a month, and had missed all his visits due 2 being in there..is there anything i can do about it? how close can u get on sat visits?

SamuelsWife
12-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Anyone got any current info on grimes?

domsangel
06-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Visitation is tomorrow, and my car is broken down. Do they allow motorcycles through the gate for visitation? Need to know! :eek:

rdm312
01-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Who is it that stipulates that you have to take a SATP class and if your TE/PE date is a shorter time than how long it takes to take the SATP class are you still expected to take the SATP class before getting paroled? My dad’s TE/PE date is 03/06/12 and he goes before the parole board 02/08/12. His first day of December 1 st to Pine Bluff and December 8, 2011 to Grimes. He hasn’t gotten to start the SATP class yet, so I am wondering how can they hold someone if your time is shorter than how long the class is. If anyone with any information on this could please help me I would appreciate it.

bluedevil 2
01-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Rdm312 Sorry I really don't know much about classes at that unit. Maybe he will have to complete the class once he is released. Have you called up there, to speak with a counselor? I'm sure they could tell you something. It's not very many people active in this forum. Maybe someone on here will come alone with some better advice.

SamuelsWife
01-18-2012, 07:32 AM
I'm no expert but to my knowledge the inmates TE/PE date is when they are ELIGIBLE for parole. Many people do NOT make parole the first time and stay beyond that date. Just go look on the inmate search, pick a unit and scroll through, you will see many that are way past their date.

The parole board stipulates which classes must be taken before release.

I don't think they can hold a person too much past their time if they have served their ENTIRE sentence, but I don't think many people stay anywhere close to that time, most are released out onto parole long before their entire sentence is served.

lizzybell1979
01-18-2012, 07:57 AM
If he is stipulated by the parole board it is a requirement before they will release him. Unfortunately they look at the charges when making those decesions and they will keep them past the te date if the parole board requires it as a condition of release/ Hope this helps

lizzybell1979
01-18-2012, 07:58 AM
That is correct, they dont have to release them if they feel the need to stipulate a class.

chstigergyrl05
01-21-2012, 10:57 AM
They can't hold you past the discharge date, whether stipulated or not. When your time is up, it is up. Basically...if the Parole Board stipulated that you have to do RSVP/SOFT before being paroled and your discharge date falls in the middle of completing that program, you are free to go without having the finish.

SamuelsWife
01-22-2012, 07:21 AM
They cannot hold you beyond your discharge date meaning the date that your ENTIRE SENTENCE is served, NOT the PE/TE date that you see posted because that is the parole ELIGIBLE date.

Just so you aren't confused.

lizzybell1979
01-23-2012, 07:45 AM
That is correct, they cant hold you past 100% time served but if its for parole they can hold until stipulation is met