View Full Version : house arrest what to expect?

donnalee
04-04-2005, 06:59 PM
My husband will be out in 96 days to do 4 months of house arrest.
what can we expect? do they come out and look at the house? Do they visit while he is under house arrest?
What about the phones, we run a business out of the house and I did get another phone line. some where I was told no answering machine, cordless phone, caller Id ...

will he be able to go to work?
We have a landscaping business so he is never in one spot all day.
thanks for any info.

MrsBenji
04-04-2005, 07:07 PM
I haven't had much personal experience, and definitely now with Vermont, but .... Yes, they will come out to the house. They can visit while he is under house arrest if they should feel inclined ot do so. My friends who have been on house arrest had to have a phone line just for the ankle bracelet. If they approve it, he can go to work, but him being all over the place may not be acceptable.

Good luck! At least he will be home! That is a start!!!
Jenn

donnalee
04-04-2005, 07:11 PM
do they come to the house before he is here to check it out?

MrsBenji
04-04-2005, 07:23 PM
I am sure they most likely will.

Jenn

flamered
04-04-2005, 07:37 PM
ok, things might be different here in washington.

This is from the experience of my man being on it before & unfortunately again real soon.

They do come out to your house to set it up. You cannot have any calling features at all on your phone, & it cannot be cordless either. The "box," unit will be in the central area of the house. They will try to set it up so he can go to the basement & the upper most floor of your house. Also, depending on the size of the yard, he will be able to go in the front & back yard.
The unit on his ankle will be waterproof. He cannot wear socks under it. They will leave it loose enough to avoid irritation.
He will have to have a set schedule. If there is a change to the schedule he must call 24hours prior to the change. Only exception to that is if there is an accident & he is either involved or the only adult around & must go to the emergency room, which will be verified.
If late due to traffic or a bridge, again it will be verified by the company.
After all this is a punishment. So some normalities will have to change for those 4 months.
The three of you will need to come up with a schedule together.
From my experience it is best to have a schedule written up prior to the "home confinement" people showing up.
Also since there is another adult, you will have to take on a lot of his errands. He will be allowed out for doctors appts, legal stuff & any court related treatment. Also he should be allowed to go to church. Take advantage of every chance they allow him out of the home.
They also do drive by's of where he is suppose to be to check on him as well. You never know where they are or what they may be driving.
So follow all rules, pay on time, & enjoy what little freedom he does have out.
Most of all be glad that you 2 are back together & you only have to deal with it for 4 months.

Any more questions feel free to ask, i may have left something out. :)

brownshuga27
04-04-2005, 10:21 PM
yes thats true, you cant have ANY features on the phone line, just a basic phone line. when my ex was on house arrest, they didnt come out and look at your house. we had to go pick up the monitor, and my ex had to hook it up himself( thats how they do it here i guess). they do come to your house while on house arrest to take UA'S and to make sure your there. sometimes they will call, sometimes they will do a suprize visit. yes he can go to work, all he has to do is let the probation officer know what his work schedule is, they will ask you how long it takes you to get home from work. they want you to go straight home after work, nowhere else. you are allowed to stop for gas. if you arent home by the time given , they will want an explanation, and they do check it out.

My husband will be out in 96 days to do 4 months of house arrest.
what can we expect? do they come out and look at the house? Do they visit while he is under house arrest?
What about the phones, we run a business out of the house and I did get another phone line. some where I was told no answering machine, cordless phone, caller Id ...

will he be able to go to work?
We have a landscaping business so he is never in one spot all day.
thanks for any info.

donnalee
04-05-2005, 07:23 AM
We have a lawn business where he covers about three towns is he going to be able to do that? He was fired from he job at Home depot before he went to prison so the lawn business the only job he will have when he gets home.
also how far does the box allow him to go? Our garage is 150 feet from the house is this going to be off limits?
Plus I have a phone line for the business only I should be allowed to keep that no?
Thanks
You are right anything will be better than him away in prison even if he has to stay in the house.

flamered
04-05-2005, 08:29 AM
He should be able to go to the gargage. My man lives in a 2 (3 if you count the garage) story house & could go outside to the sidewalk with the monitor on the main floor.

You should be able to keep the business line as long as it is a completely seperate line.

He should be able to keep the business going, he just needs to set up a schedule for it for awhile. Be sure to figure in travel time. And no matter where he is they will check up on him & no one will know except for the person doing the checking. :) They are sneaky like that.

So for the most part things seem pretty much the same no matter what state you are in. It seems the only difference is if the company installs it or the person wearing it does.

Enjoy your time together for the next few months, cause if your man is anything like mine..... After any type of confinement he is ready to go like a rubber band that has just been shot. (if that makes any sense) :)