View Full Version : Connally Unit, Kenedy

companera
04-14-2005, 07:10 AM
I have just a question about lockdown -can it be possible that Connally Unit has been on costant lockdown for several monthes now? Does anybody know? Or is it just part of the unit? Please if anyone has information about this Unit I would like to know... Thank you :)

jen_n_beau
04-14-2005, 12:20 PM
I have a penpal there and he hasn't mentioned to me that he is on lockdown. He usually tells me when he is. I also got a phone call from him last week so I'm pretty sure he isn't on lockdown. I will be sending him a letter today or tomorrow so if you would like I could ask him if any part of the prison has been on lockdown for a few months.

AEMS
04-14-2005, 12:27 PM
You should be able to call up there and ask them if the unit or any part of it is on lockdown. Just a suggestion!!

companera
04-15-2005, 12:08 AM
Thank you for replying. Yes, I was wondering about my penfriend telling me that he is still on lockdown and that has been several monthes ago.... Not that I don't belive him but it seemed pretty looooong to me. I just became the "Wonder if this is really true" feeling cause usually someone on pto would have posted something if a lockdown is going on for so long.

This penfriend is not having a good time since his mother died and parole denied and he has been through surgery.. .So now when you tell me there probably is no lock down, I wonder if he maybe he uses "lockdown" as an "explanation" for not having written so much? I really don't mind, maybe he doesn't know to explain the not writing in another way. Or it might be only a small part of the unit on lockdown..? :confused:

I don't think he intentionally lies to me when he writes: "We are still under lock down with no end to it any time soon". I just wanted to know if someone of you had heared about it and since you have not I will ask him directly about it. THANK YOU FOR REPLYING! Love from Karlina

PS: It is possible that PARTS of a unit are on lock down only, isn't it? SO YES PLEASE, IF YOU COULD ASK YOUR PENFRIEND ABOUT IT WOULD BE GREAT! I really find it horrible to imagine MONTHES of lockdown...so please ask him for me???!!!

jen_n_beau
04-15-2005, 11:35 AM
I am sending him a letter out today and I will ask him. I will pm you when I get a response :).

vim1946
04-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Just an FYI -- when we post to anyone and tell them that they can call and ask a question of the unit -- we need to look and see where they are -- Karlina is in Denmark and can't just pick up the phone and call - so maybe when that is the case we could offer to do so for them -- most of us have cell phones with some sort of free minutes and I know I don't mind doing our overseas friends a favor now and then -- just a thought I had.

homewreckerjohn
04-15-2005, 11:56 PM
i have never posted anything here, but i know he is lying to you!!! mail is picked up every day, whether on lockdown or not!!! i worked for tdc for a better part of my life!! most (not all) will lie and deceive their family, friends, and general public to get them to believe the system is all bad!! it is not!! if someone is there minding their own business and doing time, they don't get any flack, even if you do something you are not supposed to be doing!! 9 times out of 10, an officer will let you off for minor infractions like gambling, trafficking and trading etc!! but, if you are repeatedly caught doing the same thing over and over, he has no choice but to do what he is supposed to do!! the convicts on the inside let you know through visits and/or letters how everything is!! what they don't tell you is the reason why things are the way they are!! i have A LOT of friends i went to school with on the inside!! before i went to work there, they told me all the bad things the co's would do!! after working there, i had a whole new light on things!! they were just doing their jobs!! it is not a glorious job, but it is steady and gonna be there for a while!! i fyou have any questions, i will answer!! it may take me awhile, but, i will answer!!!

companera
04-16-2005, 05:59 AM
Thank you all for replying. Thank you Jen for asking! I will wait for your p.m.. Curious, but somehow I think he doesn't lie... we'll see.

Yes, Docs wife, that is so nice of you to say. It is of course possible to call units from here and I have tried that before but OMG, it is mildly said exiting and I go on saying: "Could you speak slowly please", when that texan accent just went fast..huhhh. The most ofiicers I had on the phone when trying to reach the chaplain at Wynne Unit some time ago where real nice and helpful and somehow I could "see" their smiles when I couldn't find the words... So, yes sometime it defenetely is a great thing to get help offered :) - But I have seen that kind of offer here and me too, have gotten lots of help everytime I ask here. Things get so much easier. Like sending money, since someone here from pto does help me with that I save alot of money and it is so easy now. Maybe I can use this place here right now to shout a THANK YOU over to all of you who have helped me with all kinds of matters (parole, money, wisdom...:) and all the good advices....) THANK YOU THANK YOU for your support and friendship!

Dear homewreckerjohn... My penfriend did not say that he doesn't write BECAUSE of lockdown, he just mentioned being on lock down several times, before christmas and again now. So I was just speculating if that is possible to have a lock down going on for several monthes.

I DO KNOW there are nice guards around, I have a friend in Wynne Unit and he tells me all the good things and the jokings and all that he has with the nice guards, and he tells me the problems the others (not so nice) give, too. So I am not sure I get your point. But thank you for replying anyway and even giving me the honor of being the reason to your first pto post :) Yes, I will get back to you if I have any questions, thank you for offering.

Karlina

companera
05-10-2005, 06:16 AM
Hi Jen - I have not heard from you so I suppose you are very busy getting ready for your love come home. HUH! Have fun :)

Well, nevermind. My penfriend told me the whole Unit is on lock down now, but that there has been a small group of 30 incl. him who have been under lock down and that that is why I have not heard about it.

He hopes to be out of lockdown when the Unit gets off lockdown.

I just wanted to make an update, Karlina

jamiefromtx
05-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Hello,

I just wanted to let you know that I too have a friend that is located at the Connally Unit. I received a letter from him Monday 5-9-5, after not receiving one for several months. I was beginning to be extremely worried about him as he is a sexual offender and I worry about his safety there.

He mentioned that his unit is still on lockdown after several months. I have been in a Texas prison myself and can attest to the fact that yes you can receive mail and send mail while on lockdown. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The trips to the "store" commissary are few and far between and depending on when you get to go (before or after most of the other inmates for the day) means they may have already ran out of the most needed items such as stamps etc....

My friend stated that his area is one of the last to come off of lockdown since it is a "discipline unit" and that they are on lockdown more often because of that reason. He did state that they have been on this lockdown for several weeks.

I hope this helps.

Jamie

jen_n_beau
05-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Oh goodness I am so sorry I never got back to you. I have been super busy getting ready for my boyfriends homecoming but I did talk to my penpal and he said that there were parts of the unit that were on lockdown for a really long time. I visited my penpal this past Sunday and the whole prison was supposed to get off lockdown Monday morning so hopefully everyone got off of lockdown. Again, I am soooo sorry I forgot to get back to you.

companera
05-12-2005, 12:12 AM
JEN, HUGE HUG from here - no reason to be sorry. I thought you was busy, so it didn't even surprise me that you didn't write... smile. THANK YOU for asking your friend, and yes I hope they all get out soon. I wish you all the best with you boyfriends homecoming :)

JAMIE, thank you for replying. I have received a letter too (last week) where my friend tells me that probably why I have not heard about the lockdown here is that it "only" includes 30 people. I guess what made me wonder was that from what he told me before I concluded that he is on lock down for several MONTHES and I find that real cruel. So I wanted to know if there are others so we could do something about this, maybe write a letter to the Unit...whatever. When nobody here at pto had heard of that lockdown I just could not understand what was up. Smile, now I do see whats up and I hope they soon will be out of that lock down.

My friend writes "After this letter I will be able to still send you 3 more letters. If by then I am not allowed yet to buy stamps than you will know its caused by lack of stamps if you do not hear from me. But lets hope that by then the warden allow us to buy stamps."

Yes, I was worried too, cause he has been down because of an operation and his mothers death, plus lockdown.... and if I than don't hear anything I start speculating... but thank God he is doing fine now. Thats what counts.

Jamie, since there are only 30 people involved maybe our friends know each other- should we try to ask them? If you want we can pm.

Have a good day everyone and again thanks for replying .... Love from Karlina

PalmviewPrincess
05-14-2005, 02:23 PM
I just saw this post, have been away quite a bit. I just wanted to say that I called that unit last week because my friend wanted to go visit a friend and wanted to make sure she was on visitation. Anyhow, I was told that they are on lockdown and cannot receive visitation until further notice. However, when they are on lockdown they are free to receive and send out mail as much as they want... as long as they have stamps, and envelopes of course. Hope he writes soon!

a_coleman
05-14-2005, 03:00 PM
They are off of lock down now. They have been on lockdown off and on since Oct of last year because of that guard that got killed. My husband is there and he told me that everyone got off of lockdown on Monday except for buildings 7 & 8, but they got off lockdown on Friday. Now how long they are going to stay off of lockdown is up to them (the inmates).

companera
05-15-2005, 02:56 AM
Yes I hope they stay out of lock down. I don't think its up to my friend to stay out of lock down though cause he himself didn't do anything to get locked up. I think sometimes a few can make it difficult for many, no? So good to know that everyone is out of lockdown now. Thanks for replying everybody :) Love from Karlina

shaftedinTX
06-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Hi...saw your message and thought I'd let you know that this unit has a ridiculous number of lockdowns. My man is currently in the 2nd lockdown since a very long lockdown just last month. Due to a past incident, I think they tend to move fast into one whenever tensions are high. His Pod is currently locked down, but I'm not sure of the whole facility for the weekend.

Thank you for replying. Yes, I was wondering about my penfriend telling me that he is still on lockdown and that has been several monthes ago.... Not that I don't belive him but it seemed pretty looooong to me. I just became the "Wonder if this is really true" feeling cause usually someone on pto would have posted something if a lockdown is going on for so long.

This penfriend is not having a good time since his mother died and parole denied and he has been through surgery.. .So now when you tell me there probably is no lock down, I wonder if he maybe he uses "lockdown" as an "explanation" for not having written so much? I really don't mind, maybe he doesn't know to explain the not writing in another way. Or it might be only a small part of the unit on lockdown..? :confused:

I don't think he intentionally lies to me when he writes: "We are still under lock down with no end to it any time soon". I just wanted to know if someone of you had heared about it and since you have not I will ask him directly about it. THANK YOU FOR REPLYING! Love from Karlina

PS: It is possible that PARTS of a unit are on lock down only, isn't it? SO YES PLEASE, IF YOU COULD ASK YOUR PENFRIEND ABOUT IT WOULD BE GREAT! I really find it horrible to imagine MONTHES of lockdown...so please ask him for me???!!!

shaftedinTX
06-08-2005, 10:35 AM

a_coleman
06-08-2005, 01:16 PM
I just called up to the unit, and all of medium custody is on lockdown. The wardens secretary just told me that they just got a new warden, so maybe he won't make them stay on lockdown as long. Im getting real tired of all these lockdowns they are having too. I couldn'r imagine staying in that cell all day long escpecially right now when its so hot outside.

companera
06-10-2005, 03:40 AM
Thanks for replying :) . What does "medium custody" mean???

My penfriend said that before he was released from lockdown recently, that he had stayed a whole YEAR in lockdown... I find that absolutely not understandable, shouldn't lock down be a short time thing, like when there is tension or things they need to check cells or something??? But a whole year being locked up - unbelievable to me.

Maybe when they get the new warden I will write nice and polite letters in case that the lockdown thing goes on much longer. I find it inhuman to lock people up like that for so long.

I was a little insecure about my information cause my friend had not written regular because of depression (his mum had died and she was the only loyal soul to him) plus that no one here on pto ever mentioned those long lockdowns, but now I must realize that it really has been an whole year for some of them :(. Well, I hoppe the new warden brings less lockdown - and thank you for replying to all of you :) Love from Karlina

AutumnNAllen
06-10-2005, 01:12 PM
do you know if the mail is running slow out of connally because of the lockdown. my fiance has only been at that unit for a month

a_coleman
06-10-2005, 01:35 PM
The mail is ONE thing that they are pretty good about. I get my letters in 2 days, and he gets his the same. They do have a big problem with guards writing untrue cases. I have heard people say that this has happened to their loved one, and it just happened to my husband. They say that he was out of place, and that is a major case. He didn't even find out about the case until the very end. nobody even let him know that a case was being written up. Im not going to let this one slide though. I'm going to try to fight this one till the end. He already got one major case for defending himself, and now this. That new warden really needs to take a good look at the guards at that unit.

vim1946
06-10-2005, 01:42 PM
That is a major problem in a lot of units. My husband got a major case for being out of place -- it was written for 6:15 pm on a particular evening. But, it was written by a particular CO and this same CO had put him on the count sheet for the same evening at 6:15 pm and neither of them could be in both places at the same time. When he went to review for his case and they convicted him I went ballistic. I called the warden and when he said he couldn't get involved I informed him of the times and it was the same CO so he did get involved and the case was dismissed and the Co got a reprimand -- this was right after we got married last year -- last December. I'm not saying he's perfect -- he's not but that one he didn't do!

a_coleman
06-10-2005, 01:56 PM
Thats the same way I feel. This is not my husbands first time in TDC, so he knows what will get him a case, and what won't. He told me that he doesn't really even go out of his cell, because on Connally, especially in Medium Custody where heis, there is always something bad happening. He doesn't want to get in any trouble, so he just stays in the cell, and only comes out to eat and shower. I know that he would tell me if he really did what they said that he did. I believe him, and thats why Im not giving up on this one!

companera
06-11-2005, 01:21 PM
AutumnNAllen- Hi ! :) I don't know if mail is slow because my penfriend doesn't write regular, but the last letter was from 29. may and arrived a few days later here in Denmark, so that seems pretty normal....

a coleman ... I am sorry to here. I really hope you can help and get it right.

Your guys at Connally are lucky that they have strong support :)

Hugs to you all: Karlina

companera
07-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Sad news... AGAIN lock down.

My friend said in his letter from june 26 that the buildings 3,4,7 and 8 are on lockdown (but building 18 and 19 is not locked down.)..... He sais the reason was a riot in building 4. He goes:"I don't know how long we will remain in lock down. But the manner of administrating this Unit with constantly calling for lockdowns, makes no difference if we come out of lockdown tomorrow. I know that we will be back in lockdown in a matter of days." :(

Aren't there no rules about how long and how often they can put them on lock down? I mean, in this whole year my friend did not do anything himself that would get him in lockdown and yet he is going to lock down all the time cause his part of the unit is locked down.

WHO CAN I WRITE TO ??? Who decides when and where there is a lock down at this Unit? Could I ask to move him somewhere else? I don't know what to do, I think its unfair to lock someone up ALL THE TIME. NO? Am I being to delicately strung? :confused:

Love from Karlina

a_coleman
07-04-2005, 07:13 PM
No, its not fair, but unfortunatly the inmates that feel they have nothing to lose anymore just dont care about everyone else. And I dont understand what all of those other buildings have to do with what happened in building 4. The new warden that they got is much worse. At least the other warden let them have visits while they were on lockdown. The thing that Im most worried about is that they only get peanut butter sandwiches to eat 3 times a day, and the heat. Even though they are locked down, I still think that TDC is required to feed them with the same amount of calories and nutrition. Peanut butter sandwiches definatly doesnt have the same nutrition as a whole meal. I pray everyday that they will transfer my husband off of that unit. That is by far the WORST unit that he has EVER been on.

companera
07-05-2005, 03:13 AM
Thanks for answering. To me this sounds far out for a modern democratic country. I have always tried to be engaged for human rights and this defenitely seems a disrespectful and humiliating way of treating a person to me... I hope your husband will be transferred soon. If they only get that peanutbutter sandwich sounds sick to me. Should I write to the warden? Who is he? How do I address him properly? Does the newspaper put focus on things like that sometimes? Maybe I should not do anything at all now since my friend seems to be able to deal with it. But the past year when he had been depressed because of his mothers death was hard on him and he was ill too and than constant lock down.....maybe they hope to reduce the prison population through suicide???

My other friend is at Huntsville Wynne Unit, he can always get stamps and normal food, yard time.... So yes, probably Connally is worse than the rest. Lets hope so.

Thanks again for writing, it helps already to talk about it :) - Love from Karlina

a_coleman
07-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Your welcome, Im not really sure of the new wardens name, but something tells me that it really wouldnt help because he is worse than the other one that they had. And if you do write him, just dont mention your friends name because sometimes it makes it worse for them. I know its hard and frustrating, but it has got to get better sometime. Im praying that my husband makes it through the summer okay. The heat is unbearable, and of course...no AC.

companera
07-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Don't mention his name??? What could I than say? I must tell them his name and situation. I could write and ask him but the tricky thing is that he just has used his last stamp on me so he wouldn't be able to answer...

Even to the worst warden I would try to write, I always believe into the best in people until it shows different.. But yes I think you are right, right now I feel the same "it wouldn't help" and I don't have so many resources for that right now and once started I want to do a good letter and follow up :)

If you hear any news from the Unit/lockdown - would you be nice and post it? My friend is in building 3 I think. Thanks and love from Denmark... Karlina

a_coleman
07-05-2005, 03:07 PM
Sure, I just called and as of right now, they are still on lockdown. They told me to call back on Thursday to see if they were still on lockdown. Im not in anyway trying to discourage you from writing the warden. Thats really shows that you care. I was just trying to warn you about him so you wouldnt be upset if you got no response, or one that you didnt want ot hear. I have already talked to him once, and he just doesnt seem like he cares.