View Full Version : How does Tether work in Michigan?

donnysgirl4life
04-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Anyone who has had experience with tether in michigan, or anywhere else, please give me a heads up! I could wait another 13 days to find out from his PO, but i kind of want to know what to expect.
Such as
*Do they get to choose where they live?
*What if their family isnt "stable" and the house isnt fit?
*Will the PO come herself/himself and check the house out?
*What are the limits?
*How much time do you have to look for a job/day?
*Can they go to church?

Just a few questions, if any one has some answers to these thatd be great!! Thank you all again for you time!

gipsyrose
04-19-2005, 01:56 PM
I know there are 2 different kinds of tethers. One has an alcohol monitor and the other doesn't.
There has to be a phone line wherever he will be staying.
Most times there is a curfew. It can go around the work schedule.
You have to stay within the raduis of the monitor. If they go outside it, it triggers something and the PO usually calls to make sure they're still there. Having it go off too much can get someone into LOTS of trouble.
I'll try a search and see what I can up w/ for ya :)

gipsyrose
04-19-2005, 02:21 PM
This is what I got from the DOC's website:

Electronic Monitoring of Offenders in the Community

Michigan's electronic monitoring system is meant to provide community supervision staff with an additional tool to more intensely supervise offenders who are not incarcerated. The department also provides this monitoring service for some district and probate courts, sheriffs' departments and juvenile offenders. The program was successfully piloted in l986 for selected Washtenaw County probationers. By the end of 1987, it was being used on a statewide basis. It allows for the monitoring and enforcement of curfews and other conditions of community supervision. With the exception of prisoners living in corrections centers, tethered offenders are more closely supervised than any other offenders in the public. Because most offenders are placed on the system in lieu of prison or jail, the program is much less costly.

The current "active monitoring" system initiates contact with the offender and is the largest state-operated system of its type in the nation. While the system does not "track" offenders' whereabouts like a homing device, it is able to determine if offenders are home when they should be. Known in the MDOC as the "Electronic Tether Program," the system allows the department to tell 24 hours a day, seven days a week, whether an offender is living up to the supervision requirements of his or her placement.

LeaAnn
04-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Well tomorrow I will find out if they are going to have my boyfriend tethered or not and may have some info for you if they do it real soon.

donnysgirl4life
04-19-2005, 07:00 PM
Thank you BOTH Very much for taking the time to get info for me!!! VERY MUCH APPRECIATED :) One other question is can he pick where he lives..hes almost 20, so I beleive as a citizen of the US he is considered an Adult!! Correct?!?! lol Theres issues with his family, and drugs, and personally i do not want him living there..too much temptation ya know..But I really do appreciate the input, and LeeAnn let me know w/e you find out!!

zhane
04-19-2005, 10:51 PM
They do come an check out the living arrangements same as they would do if he was being paroled. Depending on radius of neighborhood etc. is how they make there determination; I have heard that the agents and parole officers usually have a map of the city and have the high drug/crime areas marked. They are usually able to look for work, go to work, and attend church services; anything else would be under determination of the tether agent.

donnysgirl4life
04-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Thank You Zhane for your information. Around here drugs arent that hard to get...as easy as buyin milk from the store..:( I know hes determined to not get into that...BUT having it in your face all the time (his parents house) isnt a good thing...

LeaAnn
04-22-2005, 07:46 PM
So far we have decided to get a second phone line put in and it looks like some time next week he will be on a tether.

donnysgirl4life
04-22-2005, 08:03 PM
So far we have decided to get a second phone line put in and it looks like some time next week he will be on a tether.
How do the house checks work? Do they do a thurough search, like closets, and everything? or just look around a little bit? Also do they tell you how long they have to be on it when they get "hooked up"? :)

LeaAnn
04-22-2005, 11:01 PM
My house check was done before he came home and was quite brief he never went any further than my kitchen and asked a few questions and that was about it. Originally my guy wasn't supposed to be on a tether and his parole is for 18 months. He screwed up and that is why he will be on a tether. It is supposed to be for 90 days.