View Full Version : Gatesville Unit Women's Prison Texas

texascricket
04-12-2003, 09:48 AM
Just wanted to post and see if ANYONE has been, has someone in or knows anything about it. This is probably where I am headed. Any info would be great. Thanks.

:cuffs:

lin88jon
04-12-2003, 11:22 PM
I SEARCHED THE INTERNET SOME AND I NEVER FOUND AN ARTICLE ABOUT THE UNIT, ONLY ARTICLES ABOUT THOSE AT THE UNIT. BUT I DID FIND THE MAILING ADDRESS THAT YOU WILL NEED FOR YOUR FAMILY AND LOVED ONES:

Gatesville Prison
1401 State School Road
Gatesville, TX 76599-2999

texascricket
04-13-2003, 12:54 PM
Thank you Lin! That's so thoughtful that you searched that for me. I haven't been able to find much either. I looked all day the other day.....nothing.

lulu
04-13-2003, 01:04 PM
there is not a whole lot of info on prisons in Tx that i can find,lol that is Tx for ya

SHERRON
04-13-2003, 09:33 PM
wishing you good luck Txchick....((((((((HUGS))))))))

texascricket
04-13-2003, 09:34 PM
THANK YOU SHERRON! ;) SAME TO YOU WITH YOUR LAWYER DEAL! GO FOR IT!

Trulykath
04-14-2003, 10:16 AM
GATESVILLE (GV)

ID Prison

Unit Address/Phone:
1401 State School Road, Gatesville, Texas 76599-2999 / (254) 865-8431 (**024)

Unit Location:
3 miles north of Gatesville on Hwy 36 in Coryell County

Senior Warden: Linda Ament
Regional Director: Leslie Woods, Region II
Date Unit Established/On Line: August 1980
Total Employees*: 775
Non-Security Employees*: 116

Security Employees*: 527
Contract Medical Employees*: 81

Windham/Education Employees*: 26
Contract Treatment Employees*: 25

Offender Population*/Gender: 1,751 / Female

Maximum Capacity*:
Unit: 1,392 Boot Camp: 8 Trusty Camp: 321

SAFP: 288 MROP: 106

Custody Levels Housed:
G1 G5, Administrative Segregation, Intellectually Impaired (Intake)

Approximate Acreage:
1,244 (Co-located with Hilltop, Murray, and Woodman)

Agricultural Operations:
Gatesville, Hilltop, Hughes, Mountain View, and Murray work in cooperation - Contract Grazing, Edible and Field Crops, Farm Shop, Regional Pest Control, Security Horses/Dogs, Swine Finishing Operation, Unit Garden

Industrial Operations: None

Facility Operations:
Unit Maintenance

Medical Capabilities:
Ambulatory medical, dental and mental health services. Specialty clinics available on site include Hospital Galveston physicians, OB/GYN, and regional telemedicine facility. Limited sheltered housing beds available. Managed by UTMB.

Special Treatment Programs:
Mentally Retarded Offender Program (MROP); Substance Abuse Felony Punishment Facility, including Intermediate Sanction parole violators

Educational Programs:
Literacy/GED, CHANGES/Pre-Release, Special Education, Cognitive Intervention Project RIO

Career and Technology Programs: Construction Carpentry, Personal and Family Development (at Hilltop)

Central Texas College Academic / Tarleton State University Academic

Central Texas College Vocational: Graphic Arts,
Office Administration (at Hilltop)

Additional Programs:
Female Boot Camp (SAIP), Spiritual Growth Programs, Community Education Programs (Kick-It), Crime Stoppers, Community Tours, Substance Abuse Education and Support Groups, Operation Outreach

Community Work Projects:
Services provided to city and county agencies, local non-profit organizations, area school districts, Habitat for Humanity and Texas Parks and Wildlife.

Volunteer Programs:
Chaplaincy, Education, Substance Abuse

* Data as of May 31, 2002

lulu
04-14-2003, 11:09 AM
here is a site that you can look at, it has the questions you ask baout mail and stuff.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/faq/faq-home.htm

Dalene
10-01-2003, 05:41 PM
I was in Gatesville for 16 months, The best thing to do if you go is make the best out of it, keep busy, read and excercise, it will make the time go by much faster. Stay away from the problem makers. If you show respect to the guards, you in return will also receive respect. Ther are many good people there working that will help if you need it, as long as you take care of business the correct way while there.

PAULA frayre
12-21-2003, 05:22 PM
how do you talk or know abot an inmate from the gatesville unit

PAULA frayre
12-21-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Dalene
I was in Gatesville for 16 months, The best thing to do if you go is make the best out of it, keep busy, read and excercise, it will make the time go by much faster. Stay away from the problem makers. If you show respect to the guards, you in return will also receive respect. Ther are many good people there working that will help if you need it, as long as you take care of business the correct way while there. my sister is in tghe gatesville unit and she said we can talk to her but i dont know how

Jim
12-21-2003, 07:56 PM
My wife is at Gatesville and I can update Kathy's information a little. The senior warden is Rebecca Adams, a graduate of Southwestern U. She is reputed to be fair, reasonable, etc. I met with her once and she seemed all of the above. I laid some complaints on her desk and she agreed with most of them. But, of course, she did nothing about them and I guess it's because guards are so hard to come by they don't dare fire any of them. The women live in dorms and I gather they have their share of the same problems you get when there is a large group of unhappy people forced to live in close quarters. Most of the guards seem tolerable as guards go. It seems to me they are on lockdowns a lot but I really don't have anything to compare their frequency with.

Dalene
12-22-2003, 10:46 AM
You can of course write to your sister, and you can visit her on Saturday or SUndays for two hours, you just have to have her add you to her visitation list. Depending on her status depends on what type of visitation you will get. I was a trusty and I was able to have contact visits for two hours. There is no telephone calls aloud untill the night before she is released. Good Luck

sinn fein
09-19-2004, 02:09 AM
:confused: My Sister has gone to gatesvill and I need to know some info on the prison please my mother is very scared and worried for her, so if anyone can give us some info that may help ease our minds then please let me know...:cry: :help:

Tracy68
09-19-2004, 03:29 AM
Im sorry I cant offer you any help but I wanted to welcome you to Pto.:thumbsup:

Im sure there will someone along soon who can give you the info your looking for.

Good luck
Tracy:)

deb
09-19-2004, 07:29 AM
Welcome to PTO! I moved your post to the Texas forum as I'm assuming the facility is in Texas and the folks there will have answers for you..... ((hugs))

Deb

sinn fein
09-21-2004, 02:06 AM
thanx mate

Grace1
09-21-2004, 10:05 AM
GATESVILLE (GV)

CID – Prison

Here is some info on Gatesville from the TDJC web site,

Unit Address/Phone:
1401 State School Road, Gatesville, Texas 76599-2999 / (254) 865-8431 (**024)

Unit Location:
3 miles north of Gatesville on Hwy 36 in Coryell County

Senior Warden:
Rebecca Adams

Regional Director:
Gilbert Campuzano, Region VI

Date Unit Established/On Line:
August 1980

Total Employees*:
767 Non-Security Employees*:

Security Employees*:
Contract Medical Employees*:

Windham/Education Employees*:
Contract Treatment Employees*:

Offender Population/Gender:
1,932 / Female

Maximum Capacity:
Unit: 1,392 Boot Camp: 8 Trusty Camp: 321

SAFP: 288 MROP: 106

Custody Levels Housed:
G1 - G5, Intake, Outside Trusty, Intellectually Impaired, Substance Abuse

Approximate Acreage:
1,317 (Co-located with Hilltop, Murray, and Woodman)

Agricultural Operations:
Gatesville, Hilltop, Hughes, Mountain View, and Murray work in cooperation - Contract Grazing, Edible and Field Crops, Farm Shop, Regional Pest Control, Security Horses/Dogs, Swine Finishing Operation, Unit Garden

Industrial Operations:
None

Facility Operations:
Unit Maintenance

Medical Capabilities:
Ambulatory medical, dental and mental health services. Specialty clinics available on site include Hospital Galveston physicians, OB/GYN. Limited sheltered housing beds available. Managed by UTMB.

Special Treatment Programs:
Mentally Retarded Offender Program (MROP); Substance Abuse Felony Punishment Facility, including Intermediate Sanction parole violators

Educational Programs:
Literacy/GED, CHANGES/Pre-Release, Special Education, Project RIO

Career and Technology Programs: Construction Carpentry (available at Hilltop), Personal and Family Development

Central Texas College Academic / Tarleton State University Academic

Central Texas College Vocational: Graphic Arts, Office Administration (available at Hilltop)

Additional Programs:
Female Boot Camp (SAIP), Spiritual Growth Programs, Community Tours, Mentor Program

Community Work Projects:
None

Volunteer Programs:
Chaplaincy, Education, Substance Abuse

* Data as of June 30, 2003

Grace1
09-21-2004, 10:12 AM
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13104&highlight=gatesville

found this other thread also, if you go up to "search this forum" to the right of the texas thread banner you will get some useful info

JESSJ
10-28-2004, 10:39 AM
:) A Big Hi To All Of You In Texas.

Can Any One Tell Me Any Thing About The Prison At Gatesville,femal,
At 2305 Ransom Road,gates Ville.
In Particular The Mt View Unit And Any Info On Helping Someone In Trying To Reverse A Three Year Set Off On Parole.
I Would Rearly Like Some Help,thanking You ,yours Jesse,england.

key jo
10-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Welcome to PTO! Sorry, I can't help you with your inquiry. I'm sure someone will be around soon to help you.

Retired-18
10-28-2004, 10:48 AM
Hi JessJ and welcome to PTO! http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/unitdirectory/all.htmThis link will take you to a complete listing of all TDCJ units. Simply click on the unit you are interested in for more information.
Hope this helps!

Retired-26
10-28-2004, 10:58 AM
welcome to pto! i am sorry i dont know anything on mountain veiw, but wanted to say hi!

JESSJ
10-29-2004, 09:51 AM
;) Thank You To All Who Have Replyed To Me It Was Good To Hear From You All So Thanks Again,i Need To Know If Possable Of The Conditions Inside The Mt View Unit,as I Know That My Girl And Pen Pal Are Not In Too Good Health And The Post Seems To Take Forever So Does Any One Have Aney News On Pamola Perillo At Mt View Please,allso There Is A Lady In Gatesville Or In Huntsville,who,s Name Is Francis,who Is On Death Row,does Any One Know How She Is? That Is All The Information That I Have,so Thanking You Again Jesse,england.

wifeynana
05-25-2005, 11:17 AM
My daughter is serving time in Plane State Jail in Texas and is wanting to be transferred to Gatesville. Can someone tell me about the prison in Gatesville?? She is serving time for a felony 3 conviction for revocation of parole and doing flat time. Also, any info on flat time? Can it be parolable??? Thanks, wifennana

sociologist
05-26-2005, 05:41 AM
Sorry but I don't know about TX prisons but I do know a bit about flat time as it works in LA. Flat time means no probation or parole. This is something that the judge sets at sentencing. However, as I understand it, here in Louisiana the DOC gets the final say in this. If the inmate does work to improve themselves (get GED and other education, goes to rehab if needed, no infractions, etc.) the warden can recommend an early release for them. Here they must serve 85% of their time before that can happen. My son is doing 5 yrs. flat-got sentenced May 6th.

itscindergirl
05-26-2005, 08:25 AM
I write to a girl there she says it is strict but it is an okay place. The only time i was in gatesville was entrance in and exit out hated the entrance in cells they were like dungeons you see only on tv from the middle ages really cages. But lots of trustees go to gatesville also so it depends on which jail she goes to. Lots of them there but if she goes to hilltop i can give her a girls name from texas that is there she can look up and feel like she has a friend if she wants. Just let me know this girl has like 3 years and just got a set off so she will be there with her. Sorry to hear about your daughter that is the hardest when we can't reach them and not know what is happening. good luck

jimshucks
05-26-2005, 08:12 PM
Near the town of Gatesville are several units for women:

The Gatesville Unit itself, is actually a collection of several small "satellite" units: Riverside, Terrace, Valley, Hackberry, and Sycamore - all under one warden

Right on the same chunk of land is the Hilltop Unit, and Lane Murray Unit, each with thier own warden, then just off the loop road that encircles all that is Woodman State Jail - has it's own warden, and just down the road, not even a quarter mile is Mountain View Unit, with its own warden. All of these are womens's units and story goes each one of them has a personality of its own.

Then if that is not enough, the Hughes Unit for men is just down the road a ways.

It's a big industry on Coryell County.

lonewolf1962
05-26-2005, 08:24 PM
I have a girlfriend who is in the trustee unit at gatesville where she was recently transferred from lane murray unit. she was denied parole and was set back two years. what exactly is a trustee unit? I have been down there and seen her a few times, it is like a minimum unit i suppose. She hates it there says food is horrible very hot and claustifobic and she has maybe one friend. I send her money via ace express which she does get and I also send her stationary via office depot which she also gets. so far as I know she is treated ok but I worry because she has diabetes and I don't know what kind of meds she is getting. we plan on marrying when she gets out. would love to hear back from some people.

thanks,

mike

nh boy
05-26-2005, 10:41 PM
hay loanwolf how are you? well my baby is in lane murray unit gatesville.and she hates it. hot,food s%$#s. ,lots of fights,and of course hoe squad! visiting isint bad there though,i have never had a problem.mail seems to come and go like it should. any questions feel free to pm me. later rick

vim1946
05-27-2005, 09:55 AM
In Texas flat time means you must serve 50% of your sentence before you are parole eligible. You earn good time credits and work credits but they don't come off your sentence -- they just go to show good institutional adjustment when your file goes before the parole board. So, for instance, if you got sentenced to 20 years, you must serve 10 years before you are parole eligible. There is no early release for flat time.

Hope this helps.

Val

RedzReyna
05-27-2005, 10:33 AM
I have a homegirl at Mt. View, and she really doesnt complain alot about the unit she has been there for 6 1/2 years and is doing 50 Agg. so she'll be there for a while :o, Visits there are wonderful the ladii COs are very nice and from the times that I've went to see her they've went smooth, as for the mail :) I would say that have very good Mailroom Staff unlike some of the men's prisons becuz our mail doesnt take long at all.

wifeynana
05-29-2005, 02:06 PM

wifeynana
05-29-2005, 02:10 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded to my request about prisons in Gatesville. Does anyone know anything about the Terrance Unit????? How is it decided who goes to what unit??? My daughter has a felony 3 conviction and is in Plane on parole revocation. I want and need any info possible on Texas prison systems. Also, she is doing time as a TDCj inmate at a state jail.....not sure what all this means, but wanted everyone to know what I am dealing with. Thanks again for any info......wifeynana

dusty_429
10-04-2005, 02:48 PM
Am new to the site and not quite sure how to navigate around it or, post correctly. So, Please be patient until I figure out what I am doing..:) I am looking for Stephanie Barron who is suppose to be in Gatesville Teaxas women's facility. Would very much like to have a conversation with her if I can locate and connect with her. So, if anyone can tell me how to find her or, for her to contact me I would greatly appreciate it,
If I cannot connect with her on posting she can contact me through email [Email Removed per PTO Policy - Please use Private Messaging system]
Much love and, again,
Thanks

David
10-04-2005, 04:58 PM
You may want to call TDCJ's inmate locator. They should have this information.

Brent's Mom
03-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Gatesville (Female) Unit is in Gatesville,Tx. Do you have a loved one there? If so tell us about it. This is your place to discuss or chat with others who visit or have been at this prison.

Brent's Mom
03-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Gatesville Female Unit is in Gatesville,Tx. Do you have a loved one here? If so tell us about itl This is your place to disuss or chat with others who visit or have been at this prison.

cenicerosgirl
03-24-2006, 07:10 AM
I Have A Friend That Has Just Arrived On The Unit, She Will Be Doing Life.

auntkim
04-06-2006, 02:20 PM
My SIL just got transferred to Gatesville yesterday, from Parker County Jail. We have no idea how to find out what unit she is in, mailing address for her daughter to send her mail, and contacts numbers. If anyone knows how to contact them, please let me know. Do you have to find out what unit she is in first? I see a lot of threads that say to call and find out the information, but I can't seem to find a number online.

Thanks,
aunt Kim

Ashagirl
04-06-2006, 08:43 PM
You can try this link.
www.tdcj.state.tx.us/offender_information.htm#General (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/offender_information.htm#General)

Once you know the unit, you can go to the tdcj site for the address and #'s. PM me if you have any questions.

teresa moran
04-24-2006, 10:44 AM
My daughter is at gatesville hilltop unit close to Gatesville I havn't found anyone else who has a daughter in there. It would be helpful to be in discussion with somebody who has a daughter in there.

Mandy2206
04-29-2006, 06:09 PM
Hi how are you? I know that it has been a while since you have posted your question, but my cousin recently transfered to Gatesvill and I want to know some as much as I can about that place. So if you can please write me back. Thank you and God bless.

gigi v
04-29-2006, 08:43 PM
my sister in law is at gatesville, she has done just fine since she has been there, no trouble . she has taken classes to help her and she has a job in there. we keep a little money on her books so she can buy the things she needs. she has not been hurt nor sick hope fully she will change her way of life and get back to the person we all know and love. with this time she has on her hands it gives them plenty of time to rethink about what is most important in their lives. hope this helps

auntkim
05-09-2006, 01:25 AM
My SIL is doing 20 years/10 with probation, if we're lucky. She's in for Intoxication Manslaughter with use of a deadly weapon (her car). This is a woman who has never been in trouble with the law, and while living in the country, had a few (very strong) drinks that she wasn't used to drinking, and drove afterwards. In a freak accident, she got lost, was going a bit too fast in unfamiliar surroundings, ran off the road and while correcting herself, flipped her Explorer. A man was killed and his wife injured when her truck flipped over there's while rounding a corner.

We write a lot, and the whole process is very new. She's at the Gatesville Unit, waiting for permanant housing, and we're not sure where that will be. She said that she's been yelled at more in 3 months, than ever in her life. You have to know a million rules immediately, and if you don't, they belittle you. The worst problem is women getting involved with other women, although it's not something that is forced on you. If they do though, that's when jealousy crops up and issues get out of hand. If you mind your manners, stay out of relationships that aren't friendship based, and be respectful to your guards, you'll be fine.

All my SIL's mail is gone through. I've shipped legal tablets and envelopes from Office Depot, and the pads were confiscated because they had staples. They need to be glued on top. If you call Office Depot, they have a department that deals directly with incarcerations, and they can transfer you to someone who knows what's excepted and what's not. I've mailed many books from Amazon/Borders.com and she's received them. Ask them to include a receipt in the shipment and make sure her TDCJ number is listed next to her name. Put her name and # first, unit on second line, address on 3rd & 4th. This has worked the best. DO not put "Inmate Correspondense" in the corner, or it wil get refused. They will think it's inner prison mail.

They need money for their trust fund, to buy essentials, and I have a list of prices if you need them. Just email me. $100 the first couple of months should fill her basic needs, and then about $25 a month after will get necessities. You can go through Western Union, which is better than sending a money order. It's quicker.

Inmates are desperate for books. They can't share them, and before they get to their final unit, they don't have library access. Also, lots of mail. I send my SIL anything, but something about 3-4 times a week. A crossword puzzle, Hollywood gossip, articles (no staples), letter's, ...., you get the gist.

Until they are classified, and in there permanant unit, they can't have contact visits, only 20 min. behind glass. If you are on their visitation list, you can have contact visits eventually. It usually takes 30-60 days after they've gotten out of Woodson State Jail to Gatesville Unit. We're still waiting. They look for someone who is comparible in size to the inmate. They don't want someone really heavy bullying someone small.

Any other questions, just email me at: **email removed - please read PTO policies - please pm member**
Kim

LostNLove4EvaWithCarlos
05-09-2006, 08:19 AM
auntkim..i'm so sorry to hear about you SIL!!! That's horrible!!! But with a great SIL like yourself, I'm sure that she will be able to make it with her sanity!!! I wish you all good luck

xtxco3
05-13-2006, 01:35 PM
I was on different parts of the Gatesville Unit for over 11 years. To family and friends if you get a request for money know that it goes directly into the inmates trust fund. With the exception of the fruit sale near Christmas other than for money for necesssities and writing materials and stamps, maybe extra foodstuffs to keep in their house, There is NO REASON for a whole lot of money to be sent. There is a limit on commissary spending and it is only raised at christmas time. Many inmates are asking for money above and beyond their needs and spending limits. When this occurs be aware that someting is not right. Special purchases such as a fan (really resirable), radio (private ear to the world outside), hair dryer, curling iron, athletic shoes, ect. are strictly regulated.

I know that you want to do anything for them that you can but the fact is there is not much you can really do except visit regularly, write often, and if you can see that that there is a little money in their trust fund for weekly treat of going to the store (commissary). Mail call is the most popular thing of the day.

PLEASE, for your sake, realize that scams for money are really at an all time high. If you haven't bee in prison you do not know the lenghts to which an inmate will go to take your money from you.

xtxco3
05-15-2006, 01:01 PM
:confused: The Gatesvill Unit is more challenging to figure out since it is composed of 6 separate units each with their own main function. As I have worked on each of them at some time I would be glad to answer questions. I am retired so they no longer have any control over my lips. My honesty was one thing that on the unit level was sometimes used against me. Like it stopped me:D .

catminister
05-18-2006, 04:54 PM
I have a girlfriend in Gatesville/Lane Murray.

realjwann
05-25-2006, 11:30 AM
My sister has apparently just arrived at Gatesville. She is about 420 miles from our family here in deep south Texas (mexican border). How is this prison? She is doing 5 yrs. on a F1 Murder (was the driver when her bf and his brother did a drive-by). 1st time offender, not even a traffic ticket on her record and she get into this with her boyfriend.

Anybody with any info. that could help us out, please pm me. thanx.

Hector

tassie
08-25-2006, 11:03 AM
To Auntkim:
Yes, I would like a copy of the comissary list. Daughter is going to Gatesville in about two weeks. Your message was very helpful to me. Thanks.

rangersguy
12-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Hi, i posted this in another part ofthe site but i thought it would be addressed here better. thanks.

hi, i am new to this and am glad to find this site. my wife of 6 months was arrested last month for her 2nd DUI. she was sentenced this friday for two years in prison. i am scared for her. she is 22 and a beautiful girl. she was a cheerleader in high school and college if that helps explain that. so my questions are, what is going to happen to her. what is jail like? what is she going to do, is she going to be in cuffs often, i want to know about her life in there. she will be going to gatesville in texas. she does not have a transfer date yet either. and what can i do to help my lonlieness. thanks, ben

BrandNewGirl
12-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Hi Ben. Welcome to PTO-hopefully we can help answer some of your questions.
I don't know a lot about the female prisoners-but there are a couple of the guys around that might be able to help you out a bit more with your questions.
As far as your lonliness-you have to continue to live your life. I know that is hard, but don't stop your life just because she's not there daily with you. You can visit and write letters-she won't be able to make phone calls to you though. (Phone calls are once every 90 days for 5 minutes on a speaker phone). As far as her being in cuffs-she shouldn't be, except for when she's transferred. She will be in cuffs the whole time she's being transferred from county to prison though.

Try not to worry too much. I know that's easier said than done-we've all been in your place and we'll be here to support you though!

Nance

Kay
12-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Rangersguy, Hopefully she will be paroled fairly quickly. How much time has she done in County? I think this is the first person I have seen sentenced for a second DWI! They don't reach the felony stage until the third charge. I'm sorry you are having to go through this. There is a guy on PTO who might can help you out. His girlfriend is doing time for the same thing as is my son only his was more than two charges. His name is Robinsman. You might PM him for more information. I'm sure he would be glad to try and help you out.Good Luck and God bless! Welcome to PTO! Katy

RobinsMan
12-26-2006, 08:35 PM
I am really confused about a 2nd DWI as well. That simply is not a felony and does not carry TDCJ time. It takes three or more to consitute a felony unless the first offense was "under Section 49.08 (intoxicated manslaughter, added by RobinsMan) or an offense under the laws of another state if the offense contains elements that are substantially similar to the elements of an offense under Section 49.08". Until then it's a class A misdemeanor with a maximum of one year in county jail. Of course, that's just details to wonder about. If she's been sentenced to TDCJ then there was a reason.

I think that a two year sentence is actually pretty tough because she is likely to do all of it from all that I've heard.

You ask about what it's like inside. Some aspects of it will be a shock for her and you too. As much as you may not like to hear it at all it will help her greatly to hear about it before she catches chain in the middle of the night and suddenly she is living it. I think it likely that there are women in county with her that have been there before that could be filling her in but for the six months that Robin was in county and for all of the gals that she talked to she still had not heard it all.

PM me if you'd like.

Kay
12-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Robinsman, I knew you would be along to help this new member out. Thanks, Katy

RobinsMan
12-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Well, I am always willing to help anybody, if I can, but how could I not with all of the wonderful support that I enjoy from all of ya'll?

pami57
12-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Texas has recently enacted the toughest DWI laws in its history. Misdemeanor offenders can now face up to two year license suspension without the possibility of even a work-related driving permit. Repeat offenders often face punishments comparable to those meted out for sex-offenders and felony level theft offenses. Almost every person arrested for a DWI or DUI in Texas (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/33140/theme/836/texas.html) has more than one case to defend against.
Penalties for the first DWI are a jail sentence of up to 180 days, an optional fine of up to $2,000 dollars and a one year license suspension. The jail sentence is almost always probated. A second arrest within ten years of the first offense carries a punishment of up to a year in jail, a $4,000 fine and a two year license suspension. Felony level offenses provide for a minimum of two years in state prison and as many as twenty years for an intoxication manslaughter charge. It is not uncommon for a driver arrested for a felony DWI to receive a maximum sentence of ten years in prison.

Read more at:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/33140/dwi_and_dui_penalties_in_texas.html

Kay
01-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Thank you for an interesting read! Katy

kds'mom
01-29-2007, 09:56 AM
My daughter has made numerous mistakes due to usage and will go to SAFP when there is a bed available. I pray for her each day, but dread her questions about SAFP cause I don't know much and I don't want her to dread the inevitable. Any clue if SAFP is different than SAFP-Special needs, which is where she will go.

Thanks, kds'mom

jojacks
01-29-2007, 10:02 AM
I have not had to deal with Safp, but a lot of people on here have, and I am sure someone will be along to answer your questions. I will be praying for you and your daughter to have strength to get through this.

pams lilsis
01-29-2007, 01:46 PM
which safp will she be going to if it is Halbert I know a little and another lady on here knows much more but if it is Hackberry I know some on that to

pami57
02-04-2007, 07:53 PM
It probably is SAFP, Halbert Unit. My daughter just got released from there this past November. I can probably answer any of your questions. Just let me know what you want to hear about. You can PM me or ask here.

pami57

pams lilsis
02-04-2007, 08:38 PM
I think if she is classified as special needs then she will go to Hackberry safp in Gatesville Tx my neice was sent there because she had really high blood pressure her mother(my sister) was sent to Halbert safp in Burnet Tx

kds'mom
03-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Trying to get as much info as possible to present to probation officers in Ft. Bend County, as the PO's don't seem to know anything about the punishment program they are sending people to.

pams lilsis
03-08-2007, 11:04 AM
do you know yet about where she will go if she is on Meds she will go to Hackberry Safp and if they are telling you Gatesville then it is for sure Hackberry that is the only Safp in Gatesville as Pami57 said she knows alot about Halbert and I know some things now

pams lilsis
03-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Hey Pami 57 Pam is finally off tight house about 32 days she came through it but I think she is bitter about it now she said they still do not have much free time she has 4 months to go and I pray they have a bed ready for the halfway house they still have not given hera mammo yet I have called and e-mailed people but still nothing she talked to a doctor about Depression and the doc said if she goes on meds that she will have to go to Hackberry but first she would be sent back to an ID unit to wait on a bed she is going to tough it out .She is not about to wait any longer she will get help out here instead .I hope your girl is doing well.

Howling Wolf
03-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Tic Toc Tic Toc

Waiting for my visit in the morning! :D

1300 mile drive, but we do what we have to do!

Kay
03-23-2007, 11:33 PM
That is the truth if it was ever spoken!! We certainly do whatever it takes!! Glad to have you in Texas!! Have a wonderful visit!!

softheart
03-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Hope you have a great visit and a safe drive.

softie

Howling Wolf
03-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Thanks softie, visit #1 is over and it was great!

Back tomorrow for another 4 hours and then heading back to California.

softheart
03-24-2007, 05:18 PM
awwww that is great that you guys had a good visit.
I hope you both enjoy your visit tomorrow.

Have a safe trip driving back to Cali.

softie

username987
06-28-2007, 09:12 PM
HI all My Freind is in Gatesville , I am not reallysure ofalot in TDJC all I know is it is getting moreconfusing
I ve done time my self and it was nothing like what I am dealing with TDJC has me confused to the point of do they even know what they are doing ? it isas if they enjoy tormenting others and loved ones outside . onephnecall amonth no pay for work yes know slavery is lelgal for inamtes but most states have abolished that .
So she is lucky to get any money I send a little when I can had some sationary sent she got that and envelopes . Though I sometimes do not get letters for weeks and she called me asking about them inher onece a month call what is that all about ? Once a month is there any reason for that nonsense . I was surpsied said I never got them . she was not mad at me at me I send her mail any ways but she said something in Spanish quitely about them just letting mail sit around ! now that is just plain sick . lots of familes are waitng for letters it is all they get just send the mail !

One question does it take along time to get mail in and out of Gatesville on average it takes about 2 weeks or so . sometimes longer . I mail from Colorado In Pitkin county , mostly l I send it from Aspen . I am tyring a new idea and using priorty mail with online tracking , I hope it does not get her into trouble .
I hear TDJC can be very arbitrary

she is praying she will be out in a year or so I am not so sure it seems as If the BPP does what everthey want not folowing any rules or laws . I am afraid she will get flat Time that is going to be a long haul more than a few years and it is a wats to vist i hope can at least get 4 hr vits . orseeingshe has nofamiley that realy visits is it possible I could if I write really nice to have contact vists or will my record mess that up .

isgatesvill a realnightmare and harsh place . she does not say much other than she is afraid at times of COs mostly, they make advances at all the women in another place they raped some she heard . and they do strip seach she does not like to go into detail . I tell her just keep quite and do not say much keep a low profile read a lot go to classes . and just stay out of trouble never,
tell any one a bout your personal life it can be used agaisnt you .

I just want her safe and out of there .

Thanlks for any info and if ther is a place that is reasonble to stay near Gatesville . I can fly to either Dallas or Huston and get a cheap rental for a weekend

Howling Wolf
06-28-2007, 11:40 PM
Well, first welcome to PTO!

Mail: I write to Gateville almost daily from California and almost without fail travel time is 2 days either going to her or a letter coming from her. I've done the priorty mail with confirmation deal,and it gets there quickly, but once it hits Gatesville it's just regular mail to them so it will be delivered during the evening mail call so save the dough.

You refer to your loved one as a friend, so contact visits won't happen unless she is a trusty to the best of my knowledge.

If she's getting a call every month that's outstanding. The rule is one 5 minute call every 90 days and only if you have remained case free.

When I visit I stay at the Holiday Inn Express which is not the cheapest, but it's close. Of course anything in Gatesville would be close because it is so small.

Once I flew and when I did I flew into Austin. It's a smaller airport and about the same distance away. The next time I drove and I must say it was the experience of my life. I have never driven is such terrible weather! Kind of like what's going on in Texas right now!

If you are going to request a "special visit" which you qualify for if you are over 300 miles away make sure you call a few days in advance and that you are on her visiting list. Get the name of the person you talk to when requesting the visit (they are used to being asked), and get the name of the person who tells you that it has been approved when you call back. You'll be glad that you did because odds are that when you go to visit they won't have you down for the special visit and by having that info they can straighten it out quicker. ( 2 for 2 with me, and the first one took 20 minutes to get right) Just call Gatesville when you get ready to go and ask for inmate records, they are the ones that handle that.

I have only been there twice in the past year, in fact I am getting close to going again and I have to say that the visits went better than I anticipated. I treated the COs with respect and they returned the respect to me. I had no problems at all. Read the visiting guidelines in the "offender's guide book" available on line thru the TDCJ site and you will save yourself from getting into any trouble.

Hope this helps with some of your questions.....Good Luck!

username987
06-29-2007, 10:15 PM
thanks howling wolf

I had the calls wrong one every 90 dys .
isright .
It takes at least 4 -5 days from the time it leaves Waco to get to me I am just curios about it getting thereandhowvlng also ido wantto knwothy haveit . icn ad on a few dats
then once itgets togatesville they mUst sit on it for a whilE as it seems that way

She does not have ,much .guess I can send a letter more often .it will keep in better sprits . iam niot sure of every thing else

Visits guess it wil lbe a non contact . even if she has nobody else . ? That is tough o every one . Well i just drop off a quick letter and see what happens . I and prrbably send more for stamps ihad nodea about that place .livend elearn I m a surpsied she is alowed to use power tools .

thanks a lot

Howling Wolf
06-30-2007, 11:10 PM
With regard to the mail you are right. Sometimes it stacks up in the Gatesville mailroom and she will get threee letters at a time. There are also time that I mail a letter Wednesday afternoon in Southern California and she gets it Friday night at mail call so I guess it depends on the volume that they are dealing with or perhaps the person that happens to be working the mailroom at the time.

Same deal the other way. I have received a letter on Wednesday that she has written over the weekend and "mailed" on Monday morning. She "drops it in the mail" on the way to breakfast whatever that means! :)

Read this boring booklet, it has a lot of information in it including visiting regulations:

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/publications/cid/OffendOrientHbkNov04.pdf

Good luck!

username987
07-01-2007, 09:04 AM
Yeah I check the date it is mailed . andtime it usally t ismailed in the evening or that iswhen Waco gets it . then about 4-5 days or more to me . so who know. Though ihave heard the sit on it for the hell of it .

More in PM .

Illseewhat happens .
moslt it ismail though shedid say nototsendany money . ??? ithink iknowwhy .but it too is in the PM

Thanks from Pitco in CO

HerMomma
07-03-2007, 11:06 AM
I have only gotten one letter from my daughter since they moved her there, It was dated the 27th of June stamped by Waco the 29th and I got it on the 2nd, that is not so bad. She always wants money though, I have never gotten a letter that she didnt say "I need" She had 20 with her when they took her to Gatesville. she says she has to buy a lock 1st thing for $10.5. She hasnt mentioned being scared though, yet. Just that it is unbarebly hot. I also sat confussed tho Like is she where she is gonna be? Is she is some kind of classification thing and then moved again? When will she know about parole, when will I know. How come she does the crime, does the time and I have to work out all the details for her. Guess i am still a little hurt over the whole ordeal.

sroloff
07-03-2007, 06:16 PM
I have a wife in Gatesville and have been visiting and writing for over two years. Usually the mail is pretty reliable. Sometimes I think they get overwhelmed and mail will sit for a day or two but for the most part they have been pretty efficent getting our mail in and out. As far as being afraid of the CO's my wife has been in Gatesville for several years and has denied being abused or denied having any CO make advances toward her. My wife is young and very attractive and she is doing a lot of time so if that were happening I would think she would have shared that with me. She also denies any mail CO does any strip searches on the femal inmates. Howling Wolf is a good friend of mine and he hit it right when he advised you to read the visitors booklet before your visit. Good luck!

HardHeadedWoman
07-08-2007, 11:55 PM
HI all My Freind is in Gatesville , I am not reallysure ofalot in TDJC all I know is it is getting moreconfusing
I ve done time my self and it was nothing like what I am dealing with TDJC has me confused to the point of do they even know what they are doing ? it isas if they enjoy tormenting others and loved ones outside . onephnecall amonth no pay for work yes know slavery is lelgal for inamtes but most states have abolished that .
So she is lucky to get any money I send a little when I can had some sationary sent she got that and envelopes . Though I sometimes do not get letters for weeks and she called me asking about them inher onece a month call what is that all about ? Once a month is there any reason for that nonsense . I was surpsied said I never got them . she was not mad at me at me I send her mail any ways but she said something in Spanish quitely about them just letting mail sit around ! now that is just plain sick . lots of familes are waitng for letters it is all they get just send the mail !

One question does it take along time to get mail in and out of Gatesville on average it takes about 2 weeks or so . sometimes longer . I mail from Colorado In Pitkin county , mostly l I send it from Aspen . I am tyring a new idea and using priorty mail with online tracking , I hope it does not get her into trouble .
I hear TDJC can be very arbitrary

she is praying she will be out in a year or so I am not so sure it seems as If the BPP does what everthey want not folowing any rules or laws . I am afraid she will get flat Time that is going to be a long haul more than a few years and it is a wats to vist i hope can at least get 4 hr vits . orseeingshe has nofamiley that realy visits is it possible I could if I write really nice to have contact vists or will my record mess that up .

isgatesvill a realnightmare and harsh place . she does not say much other than she is afraid at times of COs mostly, they make advances at all the women in another place they raped some she heard . and they do strip seach she does not like to go into detail . I tell her just keep quite and do not say much keep a low profile read a lot go to classes . and just stay out of trouble never,
tell any one a bout your personal life it can be used agaisnt you .

I just want her safe and out of there .

Thanlks for any info and if ther is a place that is reasonble to stay near Gatesville . I can fly to either Dallas or Huston and get a cheap rental for a weekend

.oops wrong thread :D

username987
07-15-2007, 04:06 PM
I have only gotten one letter from my daughter since they moved her there, It was dated the 27th of June stamped by Waco the 29th and I got it on the 2nd, that is not so bad. She always wants money though, I have never gotten a letter that she didnt say "I need" She had 20 with her when they took her to Gatesville. she says she has to buy a lock 1st thing for $10.5. She hasnt mentioned being scared though, yet. Just that it is unbarebly hot. I also sat confussed tho Like is she where she is gonna be? Is she is some kind of classification thing and then moved again? When will she know about parole, when will I know. How come she does the crime, does the time and I have to work out all the details for her. Guess i am still a little hurt over the whole ordeal.

I think others here know more about all of the classifaction stuff it is very arbitrary TDCJ seems to do what ever they want .
My Friend who I know from my Grad school project .
Id i get mail it was backed up due to soem scamming going on .
yeah myfriendsaid it is hot there.
We send her enough for a book of stamps writting paper , and envelopes every onther month So it is not as easily abused . Visit her often as you can . Hopefully she will be where my friend got moved to it is a Dorm .

They do not get paid to work so they will want money . Be careful with that so she does not get into trouble . It is altogether to easy .
I can ak my friend what they really need . and also others here can tell you .

Write her as much as you can and bevery careful of Pen pal sites some will rip you off , best bet is to post here for pen pal . Iam sureyou are upset . It isavery hard ting to live withandheart breaking . I found my best support was my family and onegood friend . whobelived in me . myjob outside of beinga inamte wasto do all Icouldotget out ,. .to work with my attorney. Never mindall theBS you might run int to . also ..
I am sure you will get mail soon .

If I do have a stop over in TX I might plan a visit . Kind of hard really .

When I served time we could call in the morning after showring a rule to make some who would not shower do so ! Aat lunch and afteryour job till ights out. I have no way of saying hey Ill be in Huston or Dallas on a stop over . I'll see ya sat or sunday I should get a extened visit not sure .
But she is doing better he folks said she is very depressed . I talk with them .and so does the attorney who advises me .

My friend did say the BS has stopped. I think soemthing was going on not sure A person famialr with TDCJ said therwasa scam outfit operating out of gatesville and the mail rooms do have Scam sqauds from a LE agency that could cuase .slow mail if thereadall mail it wil take forever and some do get a lot . others very little theare alot of inmates in gatesville well over1,00 0so that is alot of mail each day and TDCJ does not pay well so a mail room might easily get backed up . keep that in mind
she is reluctant to say much for fear of reltaltion .
.I think what goes on depends on where the inamte are . and who is running the show at the time.

DebS
08-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Hi I'm new here. My daughter just got to the Halbert Unit a couple weeks ago. Her dad and I are planning to visit this weekend with her 2 small children, ages 5 years and 6 weeks. I don't know anything about the place really, and it's going to be a long drive for us, 4 to 5 hours, with the little ones. Any suggestions? Will it be scarey for the older one to see her mom there? Any help I can get will be appreciated.
Thanks

RobinsMan
08-27-2007, 03:47 PM
I suggest letting the kids stay up the night before as late, and then leave that morning as early, as possible so they will sleep most of the way there. Actually, I just stopped in the say that I don't think that it will be scarey for any of them to visit mom. Y'all have a great visit and welcome to PTO.

pams lilsis
08-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Halbert visiting area is ok lots of tables there vending machines were full the guard walks around every once in awhile and asked the women there dorm number .There is 4 chairs to a table so you will have to hold the babies and she could only hug one of us when she came in .There was my husband my 13 yr old daughter and me.But she did hug us all at the end of our 2 hr visit. all in all it was ok. it was really beautiful country .When you get there wait at the guard gate to be checked in .I hope that helped if you have anymore ? just PM me . My sister left Halbert today to stay at a HWH in ft. Worth her wait for a bed to open at the HwH was almost 2 months.It is not a scarey place the kids should be fine and I bet so happy to see Mama Go early so you do not have to wait very long for your visit 8-5 We got there about 8:30 and it was filling up real fast

DebS
08-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Thanks so much for the info. I called Halbert yesterday and got some more info from a very nice lady. She also told me what we can and cannot take/wear into the unit.
Have you heard about or gone to family meetings?

pams lilsis
08-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Debs no I never got to go to family meetings it was just to far for me to travel for that but at least Pam is out now and in Ft.Worth HWh. I am so relieved that she is close again. Hope your visit goes well.

slactivty
05-26-2008, 07:20 PM
well my daughter is in prison now and i worry about her also . does any one have info on mail restrictions

reggie42
05-28-2008, 02:42 PM
well my daughter is in prison now and i worry about her also . does any one have info on mail restrictions
I hope this helps:
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/

most of the information your looking for can be found under the section General Information.
I'm sorry about your daughter. God Bless.

Back12draft
06-11-2008, 11:32 PM
My wife wanted me to find out what the overall situation (Feel) is at the women’s unit in Gatesville. Does anyone have current info on the overall mood with inmates, staff, work details, etc...

Personally, as a visitor I found Mountainview Unit was best for visitation but as an inmate my wife said it sucked, too small and the CO’s were all over everything.

Thanks, any info would be appreciated.

Unhappy n Hobby
06-13-2008, 07:39 PM
I knew an inmate from Gatesville and she didn't complain much. She was young and beautiful so she said everyone was always friendly to her even the CO's. I since lost track of her but she said it was prison and she didnt expect a mint on her pillow at night..infact..she did not even have a pillow!

Howling Wolf
07-09-2008, 11:22 PM
I've visited the same woman in 4 different units at Gatesville, all non-contact.

I agree with the opinion of the Mountain View unit. They are really up your rear end in the visiting room (non contact). Gatesville is a big place and it's not like you get to pick your unit.

Murray unit seems to hold the high profile and lifer inmates (never been there).

Riverside unit was pretty laid back.

Hughes was about average for visiting although the unit itself was described as PETTY and easy to get a case in.

There is a "reception" unit where visiting totally sucks (also non contact). The guard sat in a chair about 4 feet over my left shoulder for each 4 hour visit. He relaxed a bit the second day, but it wasn't any less annoying. This could have been a reflection on the person that I was visiting who is doing life for capital murder.

woodman2165
01-31-2012, 10:21 PM
My wife is about to transferred to one of the Gatesville units and this thread answered every question I had, much thanks to all