View Full Version : Benifits with a dishonorable discharge

buddyg1965
06-20-2005, 05:32 AM
Hi, Im new to this type of forum. I was at the USDB from 1988-1993. I have a dishonorable discharge. Is there any military benifits that I am eligible for? What are the chances of me getting a discharge upgrade? Thanks for your help.

2nice
06-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Hi... I havent got any answers to your questions (sorry!!). I just wanted to welcome you to PTO!! :wave: You'll get lots of advice, information and support here. Glad that you've found us, and decided to join! :)

princes' girl73
06-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Hello and welcome:) . I am not sure about Dishonorable Discharge upgrades, but here is a thread that talks a little more about this hope it helps you and your situation:thumbsup: ..

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128495

Sorry, I just re read the link and this may be only for G.I. Bill questions, my apologies but still may be something worth reading. I hope that someone can come along and help you with your question. Take care.

honey_77
06-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Once a service member has received some form of adverse action, it is still possible to have their records corrected, and to have the negative information removed from their file. This is true whether the service member is still on active duty, retired, or has simply gotten out of the military. These remedies range from the Boards for Correction of Military Records to the Discharge Review Boards to boards which can increase your rank (if you were reduced on active duty.) There are frequently strict time limitations in these cases, so you should act quickly.

buddyg1965
06-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Hi... I havent got any answers to your questions (sorry!!). I just wanted to welcome you to PTO!! :wave: You'll get lots of advice, information and support here. Glad that you've found us, and decided to join! :)
Thank you for the welcome and the wave. I hope all works out for you.

vim1946
06-20-2005, 11:39 AM
Thank you for the welcome and the wave. I hope all works out for you.

Buddy:

Since each service has it's own Board of Military Review, the easiest way for you to get the proper address is for you to contact the nearest VA hospital and ask to speak to the Veteran's Service Representative. They will have the address for the Board of Military Review. You will have to write to them presenting your case, any mitigating circumstances and if you are looking for medical benefits due to service connected injuries, you will have to get your records from St Louis. That address is National Military Records Center, 9700 Page Boulevard, St Louis MO.

I wish you luck and if you have any more questions, please feel free to PM me and I will do what I can to help you.

Val

DeNada
06-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Another avenue is through an action to upgrade your discharge. For that, you will most likely need an attorney experienced in jumping through the hoops. There are several good military lawyers. Try this link for information... (i can't copy hyperlinks into PTO threads, so just copy and paste the URL)...

(put the www here).court-martial.com This is the law office of Philip D. Cave. I think he's near you. I know he "advertises" discharge upgrades. Good Luck. As to benefits, a dishonorable severely limits eligibility but I believe you can appeal an initial denial.

GottheTshirt
06-20-2005, 08:49 PM
There are a number of Veteran's organizations that will help. Am-Vets or VFW for starters. If your questions meet with some resistance, or if they can't refer you to anyone (highly unlikely) every unemployment agency (state agency) has a veteran's representative to assist with job placement. You may not need a job, but they are used to assisting the homeless, a number of whom have DD's or BCD's. They will know who to send you to. In addition, if you ARE homeless, they have a federally funded program now (who knows when the money will run out) that will assist with housing and some vo-tech type training. This is a pilot program with limited slots. I didn't qualify for the re-training because I answered truthfully "does your mother or father have a college degree?" Since they both did, I was ineligible. I did receive $$$ for housing. This is offered in most major cities in the US.

Hope this helps,
Kevin

vim1946
06-20-2005, 09:43 PM
According to the regulation that I read, the Veteran's Service Rep that I mentioned (and a friend of mine is the one for NJ) is the authorized person to help them fill out all the paperwork to upgrade a discharge. My son is working with the one from the Dayton VA Hospital right now to upgrade his own discharge. It doesn't cost anything.

ExUSDBmember
02-26-2007, 12:02 AM
Hi, Im new to this type of forum. I was at the USDB from 1988-1993. I have a dishonorable discharge. Is there any military benifits that I am eligible for? What are the chances of me getting a discharge upgrade? Thanks for your help.

If you have more than DD214 and one is Honorable then yes.
I have 3. Two which are Honorable. The bad one does not cancel out the other good ones. I was on the phone once with a VA rep about my GI Bill Benefits. He was telling me part of my record was "restricted" or "sealed" and could not give me all the information I wanted.

But other than that..NO