View Full Version : Gangs in Idaho Prisons

TNC
06-20-2005, 06:02 PM
Recently I found out that at least one Idaho prison had a gang unit. I would assume that the others probably do as well. I have to say I was suprised to find this out.

I was born and raised right here in Boise Idaho and over the years I have heard that Idaho does have gangs, but I have never seen signs of gangs first hand. I tend to visualize gangs as what you see on TV and if thats the case then I have never seen anything that would flag me.

I'm sure a lot of my problem is I am niave when it comes to things like this. The only thing I have ever known Idaho to have is AB, but as far as I knew that wanst even around here locally and I dont even know if that classifies as a gang.

I know that some of the other states and prison systems have a lot of gang activity and I guess as far as prison that is what I have always compared Idaho to. I have always compared Idaho to a walk in the park compared to prisons in CA or TX and some of the other larger prison systems.

So now that brings me to wondering if Idaho in general is worse then my niave mind wants to believe? Even more is Idaho prisons worse then I have always believed? Does Idaho have a gang problem and has it spilled into the prison system? Maybe this is niave to think, but in my mind I just assumed if its not talked about like it is in the larger prison system then it must mean it doenst exist here in Idahos prison. Often times in some of the larger prison systems you hear about how inmates are housed by race and such to keep them from all mixing together. In Idaho it seems that everyone is all blended together so I just took that as we dont have any of the problems others have.

I have always had a "this is Boise Idaho and that kind of stuff only happens in bigger states" attitude. The has brought on a million questions for me and the first one is as a parent. I know that things arent as safe as when I was growing up, but has Idaho really gotten this bad or is this just standard for prisons to have gang units just in case

suni_baby
07-17-2005, 06:11 AM
Recently I found out that at least one Idaho prison had a gang unit.
Which prison is this in?

Often times in some of the larger prison systems you hear about how inmates are housed by race and such to keep them from all mixing together. In Idaho it seems that everyone is all blended together so I just took that as we dont have any of the problems others have.
From what Jeremy has said was that he has always been celled up with another hispanic guy just because of his last name. Even though he is more white than anything. And that most of the time they do keep people within their own race to stop the gang stuff. He has also said stuff about there being gang "activity" in there. He doesn't always tell me a lot of what he thinks will worry me. I know its worse than he portrays. Jeremy thinks he can protect me that way.

I have always had a "this is Boise Idaho and that kind of stuff only happens in bigger states" attitude. I know that things arent as safe as when I was growing up, but has Idaho really gotten this bad or is this just standard for prisons to have gang units just in case
Have you realized how close you are to Nampa? :rolleyes: Which seems to be the raging gang capital of Idaho lately? I mean they are even reporting that news on our local channels. Seems to be a lot of gang shootings there lately.

TNC
07-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Have you realized how close you are to Nampa? :rolleyes: Which seems to be the raging gang capital of Idaho lately? I mean they are even reporting that news on our local channels. Seems to be a lot of gang shootings there lately.
Nampa has always been a little rough and scarey so its hard for me to complrehend "gangs". I have always thought people who will drive by and shoot another were people with problems or cold hearted. Never really thought those kinds if things meant gang. Kinda like the guy who was killed over a girl a few weeks ago. They said both guys were gang members, but yet it doesnt take being gang members to fight over a girl.

I think all in all I dont know exactly what makes gangs in Idaho differnat from violent people in Idaho

jesuschick
07-17-2005, 12:57 PM
Just last night I was searching on the web to study about the different gangs in the prison systems. I was shock to have read that the AB was started in the prison system, they feel that is a training ground for them. Then once they are out they recruit from the out side. The leaders that are in prisons believe it or not run it from the inside. I was and still am horrified at what I read last night. They are in all the prisons, not just isolated to just a few. You can go to google and type in gangs in prisons and find out all you need to know.

TNC
07-17-2005, 09:33 PM
Just last night I was searching on the web to study about the different gangs in the prison systems. I was shock to have read that the AB was started in the prison system, they feel that is a training ground for them. Then once they are out they recruit from the out side. The leaders that are in prisons believe it or not run it from the inside. I was and still am horrified at what I read last night. They are in all the prisons, not just isolated to just a few. You can go to google and type in gangs in prisons and find out all you need to know.
My husband and I talked about this briefly today. I dont know what started the conversation, but I asked if Idaho really has prison gangs. He says they do. He said there are a few Mexican gangs and the AB. He said that they do a pretty good job at keeping the ones that conflict with others seperated. Apperently I am pretty niave about what its really like in Idaho and even more so Idaho prisons.

I have this mentality that if you dont hear about it in places like the news then it doesnt really exist. Idaho prisons are rarely ever in the news for anything. For the most part the only thing you ever hear about is the occassional walk away at work centers