View Full Version : Grants to Start a business

Oso's Girl
04-15-2003, 03:14 PM
I keep searching the net here and I can find information that there ARE grants out there for ex-cons, but does anyone know of where you can locate specific information about this?

Ken
04-15-2003, 05:50 PM
Sorry, I was not aware of this... Where is the link that is telling you that there are grants available?

Oso's Girl
04-16-2003, 09:48 AM
I just typed in grants for felons and there were some sites there. Nothing too specific and very helpful.

Ken
04-16-2003, 06:50 PM
I have looked around as well and don't see anything specific.

I have never heard of this but perhaps someone else has?

Oso's Girl
04-17-2003, 11:42 AM
I found some grants on governmentgrants.com that are not necessarily listed as felon spedific, but stated that they help all sorts of minorities communities and those with no or bad credit.

Danielsgirl
05-07-2003, 10:15 PM
Hey... my fiance just asked me to look into small business grants for felons... he's heard the can be up to $30 grand but I haven't had much luck finding info online either. If anyone figures something out, let me know! Thanks

udevilish
08-06-2003, 03:41 PM
I have also heard this I was hoping to find the answer her my boyfriend is having a hell of a time finding work I mean good gosh he isn't on parole or probation anythingn he maxed out for god sake but that doesn't seem to matter is this kind of attitude the same all over the country or just the state of arkansas???

Oso's Girl
08-07-2003, 08:51 AM
I think it's pretty much the same. Maybe he could look into federal bonding programs. THere is money out there to bond an employer to give them incentive to hire an ex-con.
THere are also some grants and monies listed in Matthew Lesko's book for excons.

Jules J.
11-21-2003, 07:43 PM
My husband asked me the same thing very recently! I keep searching but haven't found much at all. I hope someone can!

NITESWIFE
11-24-2003, 01:52 PM
I AM ALL NEW TO THIS SITE AND NOTICED THAT THERE IS NO ACTIVITY SINCE APRIL HERE. HAS ANY ONE BEEN SUCESSFULL IN FINDING OUT WHERE TO GO TO GET HELP? MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING EMPLOYMENT AND GETTING HELP FOR SMALL BUSINESS LOANS. I AM STILL SEARCHING.... HELP!!!

fed-up2themax
12-14-2003, 01:01 PM
I am an ex-offender and there are grants avaiable to help start your own business. Start with vocational reabilitation they offer money to help. Also the sba does as well depending if you are a state or federal ex-felon. I have a list of potential people that can help. If you would like more information please feel free to contact me.

blueviolet
12-15-2003, 12:22 AM
Is Matthew Lesko's book worth the price? I'm curious about it, but would like to know more before forking over that much money.

Oso's Girl
12-15-2003, 09:15 AM
Thank you very much Fed-up, I will contact you regarding this! ANd About Matthew Lesko's book, there is a little in there that is helpful, but I was lucky enough to find someone who had the book and they copied the info for me. Best if you can find it that way! Maybe you could find it in the library.

blueviolet
12-19-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Oso's Girl
I think it's pretty much the same. Maybe he could look into federal bonding programs. THere is money out there to bond an employer to give them incentive to hire an ex-con.
THere are also some grants and monies listed in Matthew Lesko's book for excons.

Which one of his books has this information? I noticed that he's got tons of books for just about every niche.

Thanks,
Blueviolet

p.s. I did check my library for his books, but they were all stolen!

Oso's Girl
12-22-2003, 04:09 PM
okay, let me check with my friend that gave me the copies and see which one she got it out of!

jpstrick
02-18-2004, 05:38 PM
I would be interested in getting more information from you--the list of names you mentioned. My boyfriend has been asking me to find out about grants for ex-offenders (felons), especially from Federal prison

Manzanita
03-07-2004, 09:39 PM
I am also interested for my husband

striving_1
04-22-2004, 08:28 AM
You can go to your local library to do research on Matthew Lesko's books. They might not carry all of them but I know the one that's titled, "Free Money to Change Your Life" has a lot of great information. Even about government auctions too. Where I go to purchase things and re-sell them. Being a convicted felon myself and the dream to live my life w/out people hanging my criminal record over my head, I decided to go into business for myself. It's not easy, but the results are rewarding and fulfilling and I'm my own boss.

I live in a really small town in Florida and our library isn't that advanced and they have a few of the Lesko books in the reference section. Our library's policy is that the books in the reference section can't be checked out. But hey, they're there and you can copy the pages which is what I ended up doing because there was too much info to be writing down. And a lot of the programs offered, you write to the same address anyway. So before you fork out the money, go to your library first and save yourself some time and dough.

Hope this helps! Good luck to everyone here. If you need any help or info feel free to e-mail me at: striving_1@safe-mail.net

Take care everyone!

harleygirl65
05-26-2004, 01:01 AM
I am an ex-offender and there are grants avaiable to help start your own business. Start with vocational reabilitation they offer money to help. Also the sba does as well depending if you are a state or federal ex-felon. I have a list of potential people that can help. If you would like more information please feel free to contact me.

i would like the information you have for ex-felons to start businesses. I cant find them anywhere. Thanks:)

eddierene
03-06-2005, 12:34 AM
I am an ex-offender and there are grants avaiable to help start your own business. Start with vocational reabilitation they offer money to help. Also the sba does as well depending if you are a state or federal ex-felon. I have a list of potential people that can help. If you would like more information please feel free to contact me. I'm very interested in more information. I've been looking into this for quite sometime and have had little or no luck. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Manzanita
03-06-2005, 10:48 AM
http://www.leskobooks.com/grants.htm Leskos Grants

http://www.sba.gov/ Small Business Administration

http://governmentgrants.com/ Government Grants

Civ7
10-09-2005, 08:59 PM
I am an ex-offender and there are grants avaiable to help start your own business. Start with vocational reabilitation they offer money to help. Also the sba does as well depending if you are a state or federal ex-felon. I have a list of potential people that can help. If you would like more information please feel free to contact me.I am very interested in getting this information. I have found nothing of use yet and would really appreciate this information.

durty_gurl_28
10-10-2005, 01:48 PM
I was just wondering if u knew of any grants to help ex-felons get into college? I have spent hour upon hour trying to locate something and have found nothing to help with getting into some kind of college. I only have my GED, and if u could help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Manzanita
10-10-2005, 02:09 PM
you can apply for financial aide...have you tried that? if you do not have a drug conviction you qualify for student loans, or maybe even Pell Grants depending on income.
http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

mocha1
12-02-2005, 10:50 PM
I would like that information!!

Thanks!!

cntrypoet
12-28-2005, 10:04 PM
I would like to know any information about getting a business loan.

rubydoodle
12-30-2005, 08:32 AM
I would, too!!! We are hoping our son can start his own heating and air conditioning business.

ajap
12-30-2005, 08:46 AM
Most public libraries have information like this and if not a Reference Librarian should be able to help find things.

ecargo
12-30-2005, 02:24 PM
Ask your local librarian if you can't find stuff on the Web. They're professionals and very good at locating information like this! And they won't ask you any impertinent questions either.

sickandtired
01-04-2006, 10:23 PM
let me know if u find anything out

Leaps63
03-20-2007, 04:40 PM

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: I am a felon and my husband is currantly incarcerated in hobbs for parole violation. He keeps telling me that i can get a grant for a small business and he may also be elligible. Any information you could share would be greatly appriciated.
Leaps63

Cyndy67
03-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Someone asked this exact question and in the response were links directing you to legitimate government grant sites that could possibly help. since I haven't made 25 posts they won't let me put the the link on this page. Just private message me and I'll give you the link.

Cyndy67
03-20-2007, 10:24 PM
I found the information on Yahoo!Answers.

DeAnthony'sgyrl
03-21-2007, 12:15 AM
www.grants.gov

jodiiiiiii
03-21-2007, 01:04 AM
I was just wondering if u knew of any grants to help ex-felons get into college? I have spent hour upon hour trying to locate something and have found nothing to help with getting into some kind of college. I only have my GED, and if u could help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Not sure about grants but loans are plentiful

gsr67
03-22-2007, 07:17 PM
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5065503AAtj2xr
posted for cyndi67

cannot_clasp
04-03-2007, 01:19 AM
one word of advice, most businessmen/women will not tell u how they make
money and investment opp. unless u are very close to them. but since i'm about to go to prison and i really dont care about whats going on in the business world i might as well give out some jewels. ok, there is a grant for ex-felons but its not as easy as ones like the training and migrant worker grant. this grant is pretty good and the person to contact is
LANCE GRUBB – ETA
GRANT OFFICER
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
EMPLOYMENT AND TRAINING ADMINISTRATION
200 CONSTITUTION AVE., NW, ROOM N4671
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20210
PHONE: 202-693-3151; FAX: 202-693-3362

Thats the easy one.....but u have to remember starting a business is hard so u must have cash flow and sba loans helps with that...thats not the only grant by the way there are grants for even hiring veterans,keeping drug free workplace etc. http://www.sba.gov/services/financialassistance/grants/index.html is a starting point. i cant really say more but this topic is very broad send me pm if yall want

mspj90
06-08-2010, 02:19 PM

Hey I would like to get information about grants available . I see that you have a list of potential people that can help. My best friend is in federal prison and I am trying to help him to get some ideas and details together. Thank you so much!

lack10
06-10-2010, 09:09 AM
I was wondering the same thing, where can you find help.

dreamcatcher1
07-19-2010, 02:37 PM
i liked your topic ... did u find anything?? you still on here???

Hey... my fiance just asked me to look into small business grants for felons... he's heard the can be up to $30 grand but I haven't had much luck finding info online either. If anyone figures something out, let me know! Thanks