View Full Version : felon in possesion/felony firearm-How long do they have to charge them?

mammyof2
07-20-2005, 01:20 PM
does anyone know the law on how long they have to charge someone with felon in possesion of a firearm or felony firearm? my hubby heard they only have 21 days, but I cannot find this anywhere, thanks

zhane
07-20-2005, 09:43 PM
It would depend if individual was arrested with a gun in possession and is a felon? You better believe if there is a time period that it will be done within that time period they recently changed that law regarding felon in possession of firearm; My husband is in for that and they don't go real light on gun charges especially when they have another felony. You can always consult an attorney they'd give that info for free.

mammyof2
07-20-2005, 10:18 PM
thank-you...
he did not have a gun on him when he was arrested, but there were some in our house when they did the search warrant...
I am just trying to be prepared because the charges keep coming, and he hasn't been charged with it yet

zhane
07-21-2005, 02:42 AM
Oh I read an article which was published in July 04 that stated Granholm had changed the law on parolees in possession of firearms(you didnt mention if he is on or discharged from parole) they can now be sent back to prison for the remainder of their term even if not on parole being somewhere around guns is frowned upon. Felons arent even suspose to be around someone or a house where guns are even if it's a toy gun. My husband is in on a CCW because he had a gun in his car, he never pointed it at anyone or threaten them with it but because he was stopped, on parole they searched his car and found it. Try reading the information found on link I am attaching; to have a gun in possession a felon has to of been discharged from prison, parole and all applicable fines to even be able to purchase a gun license.... www.michigan.gov/documents/NSL600_17151.7.pdf (http://www.michigan.gov/documents/NSL600_17151.7.pdf); you can search the Michigan.gov site and type in felon in possession of firearm and find a lot of info there as well.

Nick Savage
07-21-2005, 05:59 AM
Greetings,
In most states, A felony charge can be held over your head for up to 7 years. You can contact any local District Attorneys office or Law enforcement agency and they can tell you. You can search for laws by states and look it up that way. Hope it helps.

JDsgirl0913
10-10-2005, 01:29 PM
my fiance has felony firearms on him he is in jail right now. his offence was on 1/27/2003 and he wasnt sentenced til 06/05/2003

tday
10-13-2005, 08:36 PM
Im not sure but my fiancee was charged with the same thing and they sentence him for 2 years- Im wondering will he have to serve the full 2 years for felony firearm

chelles35
11-14-2005, 05:36 PM
tday im not sure but my fiancée was charged with the same thing and they sentence him for 2 years- I'm wondering will he have to serve the full 2 years for felony firearm

my boyfriend is is for felony firearm also and yes it is a flat 2 years no parole however we are in a battle with the mdoc right now for placement into crp they did just change the policy directive to not allow felony firearm placement into crp now but he was eligible before the amended it

zhane
11-16-2005, 05:53 AM
He'll have to serve whatever his minimum before he'd go before the parole board. That is considered to be a violent crime and violent offenders must have a hearing.

DJB's Wife
11-16-2005, 06:05 AM
If the sentence is for two years (no range - example 2 - 4), they do not have to see the board. Basically, they max out at the two year mark, unless there is another charge with a higher sentence.

StacysWar030
12-06-2005, 07:53 PM
My husband has 20 gun charges & a CCW. He got 2 1/2-5 for being a felon in possession. 1-4 for the CCW. It depends on what kind of gun as well. Short barreled shot gun? BIG NO NO!

Stacy

thugluvin
01-23-2006, 08:52 PM
HELLO FELLOW MICHIGANDERS MY FIANCE IS ALSO SERVING A TWO YEAR SENTANCE FOR FELONY FIREARM AND FELONY POSSESION. THE STATES THE MAX IS 5 YEARS. ALOT OF PEOPLE ARE GETTING TWO. HE HAD A PREVIOUS FELONY CHARGE AND THAT'S HOW HE PICKED UP THE NEW CHARGES. HAD HE NOT BEEN CHARGED WITH THE FIRST FELONY CHARGE THEN HE WOULD HAVE GOTTEN PROBATION.