View Full Version : Western Youth Institution : Any information

Katie50
08-04-2005, 06:11 AM
Hey everybody

Im practically a full new member of this place and I was just looking for some information on the western youth institution . I understand there isnt that much info as it is a juvenile place but I would be grateful for any help I could be given.

From what I have read I look forward to meeting all of you as you seem like such a great team of supporting people.

Hugs and Prayers to all .

Katie

ps : My name is Katie (Kates) and Im from Wilmington , NC :o

marcsbaby
08-05-2005, 08:50 AM
Hi Katie....Welcome to PTO! Great name by the way!
Western Youth Facility is also known as Morganton Highrise around here....If you see the picuture you will know why! ....
http://www.doc.state.nc.us/DOP/prisons/western.htm
There's the link to the page for Western youth facility....it houses inmates from 13-22 years old.
Let me know if I can help you in any way.....
~Katie

supamommy
08-05-2005, 06:51 PM
hello.. i live in the same town where highrise is.. it's about 10 minutes drive from my home.. any questions you have that i can try my best to answer..i've been inside the visiting room there before so.....

Katie50
08-06-2005, 04:02 AM
Thank you both , I didnt know it was called the Morganton Highrise and managed to find out some more information by googling that so thanks =]

One of my friends is in there just in holding until trial , I just want to know that its safe as it can be I guess , I havent heard any horror stories or anything but I guess these things happen everywhere .

Thanks again for the warm welcome !

DonaldsWife
08-08-2005, 01:39 PM
My husband was in Western Youth Institution for 45 days in 2004 for probation violation. He was 22 at the time. They house inmates from 16 to 22. He is now serving an 11 month sentence and has been in 3 other institutions so far. I have visited each one. WYI is by the worst. I know from experience that the more outside support that administration knows you have, the better. They are strict there. No smoking period. They were locked in single cells out only for meals and a couple hours in the evening. This seemed extreme for a non-violent adult male serving time for misdemeanor probation. He had his mattress taken for 24 hours for standing at his cell window. He lost about 15 pounds in 45 days. However, after 30 days I met with the shift captain after visit, let then know I KNOW what is going on in there and I would and did call Raleigh. Somehow my husband was then treated better, etc, although a guard did tell him he better look out because if he so much as bumped into a staff member he'd get street charges and never leave. Terrible place. Everywhere else he's been so far has been much different. Actually not a bad exprience yet. But,as a wife, I stay on top of things that happen.

marcsbaby
08-08-2005, 01:46 PM
My husband was in Western Youth Institution for 45 days in 2004 for probation violation. He was 22 at the time. They house inmates from 16 to 22. He is now serving an 11 month sentence and has been in 3 other institutions so far. I have visited each one. WYI is by the worst. I know from experience that the more outside support that administration knows you have, the better. They are strict there. No smoking period. They were locked in single cells out only for meals and a couple hours in the evening. This seemed extreme for a non-violent adult male serving time for misdemeanor probation. He had his mattress taken for 24 hours for standing at his cell window. He lost about 15 pounds in 45 days. However, after 30 days I met with the shift captain after visit, let then know I KNOW what is going on in there and I would and did call Raleigh. Somehow my husband was then treated better, etc, although a guard did tell him he better look out because if he so much as bumped into a staff member he'd get street charges and never leave. Terrible place. Everywhere else he's been so far has been much different. Actually not a bad exprience yet. But,as a wife, I stay on top of things that happen.

Honey.....Just thank goodness he wasn't at Polk Youth Institution.....In my experience, it was the worst....I guess all prisons are bad, but I believe that the youth facilities are the worst because there are a lot of kids there who still think they are hard @$$e$
~Katie

Katie50
08-12-2005, 08:04 AM
thanks for the info Donalds wife , from what I have read about other institutions this is what I excpected . No doubt when he is sentenced he will be moved else where but time is time isnt it no matter where he is . I appreciate all the information it gives me a better understanding .Love and prayers to all and their loved onesKatie

NC_Peaches
08-15-2005, 04:35 AM
I can see the high rise from my house :( and it makes me sad because years ago my son spent 2 months there on the 10th floor I am thinkin...at that time it had single cells locked down except for meals and outside time...the visiting was always crowded and I dont' think it was a good experience but things may have changed now. One of my neighbors was a guard there. Used to you could bring magazines and books for them at visiting time but I don't know now and compared to what they say about Polk it is probably better at high rise.

Please keep us informed when he gets moved...and yes prison is prison but some places are harder to do time at. At high rise they do have some programs like GED and some college stuff. They post pictures in the local paper when they graduate.

Good luck to you and I hope he doesn't have much time. How long did he get anyway?

Katie50
08-16-2005, 02:21 PM
The trial hasnt been yet so will need to wait and see but lwpp I expect.Thanks for all the info :)

supamommy
08-16-2005, 06:20 PM
nc peaches.. you live in morganton ?

NC_Peaches
08-24-2005, 06:37 PM
yes supamommy I live in morganton

august09
09-15-2005, 11:09 PM
My son is in Western Youth now... he is serving 45 days for having a brass knuckles in his pocession. He served 7 days in our county jail before being transported to western. I thought the 7 days he spent in county were to suppose to count as time served also but the staff at western are saying they don't. I have heard a fewhorrible things about this place and now I am constantly stressing myself and worrying about my son.

NC_Peaches
10-02-2005, 12:01 AM
My son was in county jail waiting for his trial for 2 and half years...he only saw outside once and that was to go get a tooth pulled...I've heard it said and now believe it when people say county is the hard time. And the staff don't know what they are talking about apparently...yes...days in county do count as time served. His programmer knows that...these people just crack me up sometimes. But I won't get started on that one.

My hope is that the younger ones learn how not to repeat mistakes so we can stop worrying about them. Good luck and keep us informed.

supamommy
10-02-2005, 09:49 AM
yes ..anyone who spends time in county jail DOES count as time served...

D_J_S
10-25-2006, 08:44 AM
I just found this place, only because it has now apparently came into my life. My son has been in jail for 6 months now. They were going to release him a few months ago.. but my husband and I were tired of his behaviour and thought maybe this would be a good learning experience for him so maybe he would get in his head that he has to follow the rules at home and all. So doing the "hard love" act.. we said, "No you have to figure this one out on your own"
Im not sure we made the right decision now. A lady came to my house and spoke to me about what they would be doing for my son. She said they were sending him someplace to be evaluated and at that point helping him to get out on his own and get a job.. etc etc etc. He was 2 months away from turning 18 at that time. She told me she wasnt sure of the name of the place they were sending him to, but would call me the following day to let me know. Nope.. no phone call.. 3 months went by and my son calls and tells me he was in prison (Western youth institution) and how they had just brought him back to the county jail the night before. I had NO CLUE and had told these people countless times.. if it came to a point where he had nowhere to go.. then absolutely he could come home.. but I didnt want him to just set his goals on that.. (he is one that wants to live his own life.. do as he pleases.. so on and so forth. Hes an awesome worker and is not afraid to work. I have no doubt he will do well once he gets out there and does it. Which is what I thought he was doing all this time!!)
I dont understand why I wasnt notified on where he was and because of that I dont trust any of them now. My son is coming home in 5 days now.. and I will never again trust the legal system to do as they say!!

spc08
09-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Hi to all! I work With DOC for over a year and currently my father in-law in for life x 2 plus 186 years for bull crap. i worked at Piedmont Correctional, Western Youth, IMPACT West. Thank God Gov. Easley shut it down it was worsted then Western Youth. Any Question just asked and need to know anything I can let you know Just give me his or her Opus or DOC Number! Get me on messanger best way to get me or by email. MY GOD BLESS YOU!!!!

MaleLove
10-03-2008, 08:02 AM
Hey everybody im new here and im a young girlfriend. i miss him so much and we having so many problems idk wat to do!:angry:can someone please give me some advice?

ddjoy2
10-03-2008, 10:32 AM
what type of advice?

Ldx3
06-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Okay so my boyfriend is in western youth institute & i was wondering if i can send him any
gifts or stuff like that. He sent me a letter saying to send him pictures or something to read
because he's bored and has nothing to do.. Is it possible to send him stuff like that by Mail to him.
I live in chapel hill & it is like maybe 4 hours away.

06-01-2010, 02:32 PM
The Family and Friends Handbook has information about what you can mail.
Page 24.
http://www.doc.state.nc.us/Publications/2010Handbook.pdf

ladymiller09
02-16-2011, 04:28 PM
ok so i just got news that my boyfriend was sent to western youth institution...i have no information at all about this place. i am beyond stressed! someone/ anyone please give me some information about this place! :(

LooneysBarbié
02-20-2011, 12:02 PM
ok so i just got news that my boyfriend was sent to western youth institution...i have no information at all about this place. i am beyond stressed! someone/ anyone please give me some information about this place! :(

My husband (2 Be) & a friend went here, they are only suppose to have 1 call a month. But it didn't go like that lol. Hm its an all male facility. Both my fiance & friend are in gangs, so I heard thats why they were sent there. Its a high rise. its anywhere from 3-5 hrs from fayetteville. Visitation forms must be approved before visiting.