View Full Version : South Mississippi Correctional Institute - SMCI - Discussion, Comments, & Questions

Piercedbrat72
08-20-2003, 12:50 PM
Looking for info on Southern Ms Correctional Institute If anyone knows anything about this facility please let me know.Thinking about getting married here so info on that would also be helpful! Thanks

lorib
10-21-2004, 12:03 PM
ok, I think I finally got my info right this time:yes: ... ( I hope) and I am hoping that someone may be able to give me some addl info on SMCI rules and regs... He was just transferred there on the 18th... is there a wait time for him to receive letters? i saw that phone numbers can only be updated every 6 months... is this correct and how much do they generally cost from this facility. I am anxious to meet others with loved ones in this facility just to get a jist of how everything works, feel free to PM me or respond on here!!! thanks again EVERYONE for your help:bow: ... I'm gonna get in contact with him sooner or later!!!

Amy
10-21-2004, 12:08 PM
Good luck with getting in touch with him. I don't have any idea how things work at SMCI, but I am sure someone will come around who does. Until then, have you checked out the Mississippi prison profile forum? I know that is one of the few facilities that we do have outlined.

lorib
10-21-2004, 01:58 PM
Thanks amy, I did and got some great info... I am so greatful for this site! thanks!

Mrs.Glamma
07-05-2005, 01:52 AM
Hi, some info for those who visit at SMCI. When I went to visit last weekend and saw people with sandals, I asked the guard about it since I thought they were not allowed. She told me that rule had been changed. I had checked MDOC site the night before and did not see any change but most women were wearing sandals.

PTO-29412
07-05-2005, 02:06 AM
Thanks DAM, I just called MSP, they also said sandles are allowed now. As always though I would suggest you to all have another pair of shoes in the car just in case they change that rule over night.

Mrs.Glamma
07-06-2005, 01:12 AM
Thanks DAM, I just called MSP, they also said sandles are allowed now. As always though I would suggest you to all have another pair of shoes in the car just in case they change that rule over night.

Good point Jonathan!!

Tojo&Mar
08-08-2005, 07:24 AM
I would like to warn anyone that is visiting for the first time to SMCI... They will not allow any camera phones through the guard shack. Luckily, I was creative when I heard this and I managed to overcome this. Please be careful. I would hate to see someone turned out when they have come so far to see their loved one. I drove 2 hours to see my husband and was warned a minute before I pulled in that the guards would make me turn around because of the camera phone!!!!! Thank God I was warned or I would be incarerated now for hurting someone!!!!! :)

PTO-29412
08-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Thanks for letting us know about this!

Tojo&Mar
08-08-2005, 05:23 PM
I spoke with Sgt. Boner (visitation) she's ordered the sheets and pillows, etc. for the conjugal visits to start in this building. Anyone married should get ready!!!!:D :eek: :thumbsup: :p ;) :o :)

Tojo&Mar
08-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Yes girls, if you are married and visiting someone at SMCI 2, then you are entitled to a conjugal visit. They are starting this next visit. I, myself, am going to hop on it (no pun intended):rolleyes: Ya'll know what I mean, I'm very excited.....:D

Tojo&Mar
08-21-2005, 07:06 PM
You can also wear a chain and cross to SMCI. If the chain doesn't have a cross then forget it....

Tojo&Mar
08-26-2005, 12:21 PM
What's the address to mail money to an inmate at SMCI?

PTO-29412
08-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Mississippi Department of Corrections
Inmate Name, and Inmate Number
P.O. Box 544
Jackson, Mississippi 39205-0544

drc106751
02-22-2006, 06:38 PM
I was incarcerated at smci for about a year. Ive been out for 1 year next month. I would be glad to answer questions about the place as best I can if anyone has someone there they are worried about.

PTO-29412
02-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Welcome to the Mississippi forum and PTO! From one ex-con to another we are glad to have you here!

I-Care
02-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Welome.. It does my heart good to see those who have "walked the dark valley's" to be aboard and offer support and assistance...
God Bless..

"I-Care"

shesmiles
03-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Welcome... glad to have you on this side :)

ScoobynScrappy
04-26-2006, 09:57 AM
www.mdoc.state.ms.us (http://www.mdoc.state.ms.us)
This web site can help you a lot..... The phone calls i think are 1.90 to except to call and 25 cents a minute after that. about 5 dollars for 15 minutes.

neptune08
07-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Need info on programs my husband can participate. Does his classification bar him from anything? He's Classification C. I'm worried he's sitting around, baking his head with stress. I looked online, and saw different vocational programs. Also, how does he get to see a psychologist? He was on meds before incarcerated and has since stopped taking them.

PTO-29412
07-11-2006, 08:22 PM
If he is C custody that prohibits him from all programs.

neptune08
07-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Well, he just called....he got a shakedown, and they caught him with liquor? Some concoction that another guy made with orange juice, and some other things. Anyways, I'm supposed to fly down on Saturday to see him Sunday...now I'm worried that they'll take his visit. Anyone know how fast they punish for RVRs? I haven't seen him in almost 2 months! Not too thrilled with it

PTO-29412
07-13-2006, 12:29 AM
Alright for the Buck!! That was good stuff!! Anyway.....I would call and DOUBLY make sure he still has that visit before coming down.

Typically it takes a week or so for RVR's to be heard and discipline issued - so just keep in contact with him - and check with the visitation department.

neptune08
07-13-2006, 09:24 AM
What's Buck? I just heard from him again and said it probably won't affect this weekend. But, yes, I'll definitely be checking with visitation on Saturday, before I fly out.

I-Care
07-13-2006, 09:32 AM
CJ..I think he means it is good stuff for what is paid for it..NOT SURE though!! Good LUCK!! I will be praying that your visit happens and that it is a good one.. Be safe...

PTO-29412
07-13-2006, 02:55 PM
BUCK is inmate made alcohol. You use any type of juice, sugar, yeast, and make a concoction with it!

neptune08
07-13-2006, 04:10 PM
That's the ingredients he explained to me! LOL, does it work? He didn't even get a taste! I laughed, sorry to say, but I told him "man, you got in trouble for something you couldn't even taste yet, that sucks!"

Mrs.Glamma
07-13-2006, 09:07 PM
I heard that they confiscated two GALLONS of that stuff and that it stunk so bad when they dumped it in the yard the guys in the other area could smell it. :yuck:

neptune08
07-13-2006, 10:09 PM
He got his official RVR this evening...kinda fast...now I'm real worried they're gonna go after his visit this weekend and take it away. All I can do is call tomorrow and Saturday before I get on the plane. Don said something about going to the disciplinary board tomorrow? Is this fast? What should we expect? Thanks for any advice

PTO-29412
07-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Yes it worked quiet well - would give you a hangover from hell and back - but hey you had to get your kicks at times where you could.

If he goes for disciplinary tomorrow you will know what he gets. They may take away canteen or phone privledges. OR visit. You will know tomorrow for how long or what.

neptune08
07-13-2006, 10:25 PM
He told me there's an inmate willing to sign something saying it was his, not my husband's. Said there's a possibility that they'll drop it. The story doesn't add up to me, and Don wouldn't go into detail over the phone. If anything, I hope they take the phone, it's costing me a fortune anyway. He needs his canteen for snacks, smokes, etc. I need this visit, I miss him like crazy.

Mrs.Glamma
07-13-2006, 10:36 PM
CJ, sending good thoughts your way that you still get your visit.
D

NisyB
07-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Hi everyone. i'm fairly new to this and I recently found out a friend of mine was locked up in SMCI in unit 2. I really want to write him but I dont know what information I need. I have his name and MDOC number. Can you please help me? Thanks in advance

I-Care
07-28-2006, 01:26 PM
NisyB
I will send you a private message.. Maybe I can help.. I have the address for SMCI 2 but not his building number..

Mrs.Glamma
07-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Hi and welcome.

Friend's name MDOC#
SMCI 2, need unit number, bed number
PO Box 1419
Leakesville, MS 39451

You can call them and they will give you the unit number. I'm at work but can send phone number later if you do not find it in one of the other threads here.

DAM311

lionessden
09-11-2006, 11:05 AM
My son was sent of SMCI July 7, 2006 from Rankin which is 6 hours from us. I am caring for his 2 small children. My question: Is there anyway to help him get transfered to a regional facility or any place closer to us? If so who do I contact etc.

I-Care
09-11-2006, 01:49 PM
lionessden.. There are several factors that I am aware of to get a transfer. #1 the inmate must request this not the familiy. #2 I think they cannot have any RVR'S ( write ups) and #3 They must have money in their canteen to pay for a tranfer ( gas and guard's salary). All three of these are just things I have HEARD to be true. We have never been through a transfer ourselves. Maybe others will comment more..

Good luck. This is a TERRIBLY long way from home.. HORRIBLE situation.

Oh I also think it makes a differecne in what custody they are as well.

God Bless,

"I-Care"

neptune08
09-11-2006, 10:32 PM
lionessden-

I'll share my personal experience as far as we've gotten with it... I-Care is right, no RVR's, your son has to put in a written request with his case manager, and he has to find out what the cost is. Once the transfer is approved, they'll withdrawl the funds from his canteen. However, keep this is mind...the transfer could take a long time to actually happen. MDOC doesn't give an actual time frame, and during the wait, if your son gets an RVR for anything, he'll lose his transfer, and the money you invested to pay for it.

You can visit the MDOC website to search which facility is closest, and also see what facility will take his classification.

SMCI's main phone number is 601-394-5600. You are allowed to speak to his case manager and he/she can guide you.

In the meantime, there's a bed and breakfast in Leakesville, if your traveling is lengthy. There's not much else there. But, if it makes ya feel any better, I fly from Ohio to Alabama, then drive over on the visit day, then fly back the next day, every month. Every other month, I fly with my 4 year old son.

If I can help anymore, please feel free to PM me. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Maryss
09-25-2006, 07:25 AM
My son was just transferred to SMCI, Saturday from Forrest County CWC, I don't know why yet but How long before he will be able to write to me? And do you know if he would have been able to take his property with him?

Mrs.Glamma
09-25-2006, 07:40 AM
My son was just transferred to SMCI, Saturday from Forrest County CWC, I don't know why yet but How long before he will be able to write to me? And do you know if he would have been able to take his property with him?
Hi,

He should be able to write immediately. When my guy was transferred from another facility to SMCI his property went with him.
You can call SMCI to get his unit number and start writing to him right away. The phone number is: 601-394-5600
My guess is he is in Area 2 to start so address will be:
your son MDOC#
SMCI 2, Unit #, Zone, Bed #
P.O. Box 1419
Leakesville, MS 39451

D

lionessden
09-27-2006, 02:05 AM
Thank you all for your kindness. It really helps to have others who understand this nightmare. I got a letter yesterday and he has been moved back to the same building he was in. Which relieves my mind a lot even though I know he can be moved again. I am so new to this but would be happy to do all I can to help anyone. If I don't know the answer I will help search till we find it. thanks again lioness

Mrs.Glamma
09-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Thank you all for your kindness. It really helps to have others who understand this nightmare. I got a letter yesterday and he has been moved back to the same building he was in. Which relieves my mind a lot even though I know he can be moved again. I am so new to this but would be happy to do all I can to help anyone. If I don't know the answer I will help search till we find it. thanks again lioness

They move people quite a bit there. Hope he gets to stay put for a little while. Take care. :)

Maryss
09-27-2006, 11:38 AM
My son is there now he just got transferred there last Saturday and I need to know a few things:
Do I get to send him packages from the outside?
WHen can I visit him? Any help would be appreciated

Maryss
09-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Can I send him packages or does he have to go through the store? I am fairly new at this and I need help to know what to do.;

Mrs.Glamma
09-27-2006, 01:58 PM
My son is there now he just got transferred there last Saturday and I need to know a few things:
Do I get to send him packages from the outside?
WHen can I visit him? Any help would be appreciated

Mississippi has a special holiday Package Program. This is the link to it: http://www.accesscatalog.com/shop/main.html. The deadline is end of October and the goody bag will be delivered the last week in November.

Other than that you can not send in packages. Everything is purchased off the canteen. So you can see what is on Canteen, here is the link to it on the MDOC website: http://www.mdoc.state.ms.us/Commisar...ice%20List.htm (http://www.mdoc.state.ms.us/Commisary%20Price%20List.htm). It has not been updated yet this year, and I know for instance that noodles are now .43 not .26...and we in the free world complain about price increases!!!

Your son needs to let you know his visit schedule. It is likely twice a month, a Saturday one time and Sunday the other. but each unit has a set schedule. He also needs to send you a visitor form for approval. I remember I needed to send a new one in when my Hon was transferred.
This is the link to visitation information, just scroll down to South Mississippi: http://www.mdoc.state.ms.us/visitation.htm. You can contact Ms Reeves with visitation questions if your son does not send it soon.
QUESTIONS/CONTACT
Ms Becky Reeves
601.394-5600 ext 1200
breeves@mdoc.state.ms.us (%20breeves@mdoc.state.ms.us)
It technically is up to your son to notify you though and to send you the visit rules and all. I go there 1 to 2 times a month so ask away.

I got a lot of info off the MDOC website, actually still do. http://www.mdoc.state.ms.us/ Scroll down the main section of the page to Inmate Information, click that, then click family information. Neat that you can read their handbook too.

I likely have posted lots of info in this thread and the visit thread about SMCI visits/mail/phones, etc.

Feel free to contact me anytime, I will be more than happy to assist you.
I promise to get back to this later.

Hugs
D

taryn
10-12-2006, 05:22 AM
ok, I think I finally got my info right this time:yes: ... ( I hope) and I am hoping that someone may be able to give me some addl info on SMCI rules and regs... He was just transferred there on the 18th... is there a wait time for him to receive letters? i saw that phone numbers can only be updated every 6 months... is this correct and how much do they generally cost from this facility. I am anxious to meet others with loved ones in this facility just to get a jist of how everything works, feel free to PM me or respond on here!!! thanks again EVERYONE for your help:bow: ... I'm gonna get in contact with him sooner or later!!!

Hello! Did you finally get in-touch at Southern MDOC? I have a loved one in there also and I live about 22 miles from that facility. I can answer just about any question you have or tell you who to ask for to get your questions answered. The people are NOT FRIENDLY, but you just be persistent and don't let them scare you. They have to tell you certain things. I visit my loved one twice a month there. Please just let me know if you need anything at all?
My regards, taryn

Mrs.Glamma
10-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Hi Taryn
I was surprised and sorry to see you had problems with SMCI staff being "not friendly". I guess that I have been very fortunate in that everyone I have dealt with there in person, by phone and email for almost three years has been nothing short of respectful, courteous and helpful. Actually at Parchman and CMCF as well.
Hope you have a better interaction next time.
D

southrnsweetpea
12-27-2006, 10:05 AM
hey how r u. i would appreciate it if u could get in touch with me. i have seceral questions...thank you Email Address removed per PTO Guidelines. Please PM Member

Mrs.Glamma
12-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi and welcome to PTO and the Mississippi forum.

Ask away. We are here to help. If your questions are private you can PM me.

Dam311

Mrs.JKee
03-04-2010, 03:19 PM
What can an inmate do in order to get transfered to a new facility??? Someone please help me on this:(

PTO-29412
03-04-2010, 03:41 PM
You must request the transfer by the case manager, however it is extremely hard for this to happen.

I-Care
03-04-2010, 04:37 PM
What can an inmate do in order to get transfered to a new facility??? Someone please help me on this:(

The inmate also must have "funds" in his account to pay for the transfer ( usually about 100 dollars).

sfuqua68
12-17-2010, 05:28 PM
I was incarcerated at smci for about a year. Ive been out for 1 year next month. I would be glad to answer questions about the place as best I can if anyone has someone there they are worried about.

Hello my fiances visitation day was today at wccf and when i arrived there they informed me that they transfered him to scmi and i know nothing about that place. He is in building 7 what can you tell me about visitation and mail and getting married and calls. Are they strict. if you can help let me know.

sfuqua68
02-26-2011, 05:08 PM

my question to you is can you get married if you are on A-Zone unit 7 and what is the procedure.....

Fae
03-01-2011, 02:25 AM
On my last visit to SMCI on 02/19 I saw the lady officer that searches people turn a lady away for flip flops. She mentioned going to Leakesville to buy another pair orf shoes and the officer said that would be ok to do. She was not allowed to wear flip flops in.
As for the camera phone I take mine everytime and they know it. I told them I had a camera phone the first time I visited and they have never turned me away because of the cameraphone. After they check everything I lock the phone up in the trunk in my purse or in the glove compartment.
I can't speak for what they will do. I can only tell you what has happened to me. Good Luck!