View Full Version : How to file taxes with husband in prison

pasajes4
11-04-2005, 01:25 PM
My husband is now in prison. We have always filed a married joint return.
How will his incarceration affect my filing status so that I will not be penalized for his actions. I live in Texas. If anyone has faced similar concerns please let me know what you did about it. Thank you

gigi v
11-07-2005, 07:45 PM
You Can File Married /jointly But You Can Not Claim Him As A Dependent Unless He Lived in Your Home for 6 Months Hope This Helps

CONWIFE
11-07-2005, 07:47 PM
i always file head of household

one_luv
11-07-2005, 07:51 PM
You can file jointly even though he is in prison.
To file head of household, don't you have to have kids?

CONWIFE
11-09-2005, 03:05 PM
i do have kids. i didn't think about that. you can also file married but filing seperate. figure it out both ways and see which gets you the better return. what do inmates do about their taxes and tax returns ? can you get a tax return if you're incarcerated ?

Derrick'sbaby
11-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Okay first the question is will he have anything to file for income tax purpose..

Second if you file Married filing jointly then he would need to sign the paper work so you dont want to do that..

Next with u have childre, you will need to file HOH (head of Household) which would befenit you more.. or you may file married filing single.. Never the less you will not be able to file MFJ. If you have any other question feel free to send me a message I will be glad to give you more info... I am a tax preaper for H&R Block.. :thumbsup:

Doc's Sis
11-10-2005, 04:16 AM
NO, he does not have to file a return UNLESS he had earned income (income from which taxes were deducted)..... If he had no taxable income, then he doesn't have to file anything.

If you have children, then you can file either Married/Separately OR Head of Household. Figure it out both ways and see which way is best for you.

If you have no children, you may NOT file Head of Household. Will need to file as Married, filing separately.

If you are married and your spouse was sent to prison in 2005 = and had earned income the first part of the year, then you should be able to file jointly. Be sure to get a Power of Attorney so you can sign the forms for him and cash any refund check received.

Cappageno
11-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Never file married filing sep. you dont get eic or the child tax credit in fact you get no credits hoh is the best

TNC
11-26-2005, 09:28 AM
Second if you file Married filing jointly then he would need to sign the paper work so you dont want to do that..
This is all a bit confusing to me and maybe I am missing something, but if you are married dont you have to file either married filing a joint return or married filing seperate?

Next with u have childre, you will need to file HOH (head of Household) which would befenit you more.. or you may file married filing single.. Never the less you will not be able to file MFJ. I was under the impression you cant claim the EIC if you file married filing seperate

If you are married and your spouse was sent to prison in 2005 = and had earned income the first part of the year, then you should be able to file jointly. Be sure to get a Power of Attorney so you can sign the forms for him and cash any refund check received.
How would you file if you got married in 2005 and he has never lived with you AND you have children???

and also does how you file have to match your 1099 or whatever form you fill out with your employer on your deductions? I think when I filled mine out if just said put one here if you have a spouse and without giving it much thought thats what I did

gabbygirl372001
11-26-2005, 11:22 AM
I know that your w-4 form(the one you fill out for your employer) does not have to match how you file your return. This is confusing to me. Of course we all just want to know how to get the most money back, bottom line. Is it even to our advantage to list our husband on the return, since he isnt living with us and we can't claim him as a dependent? ~Gabby~