View Full Version : Federal Prison E-mail - Trust Fund Limited Inmate Communication System (TRULINCS)

David
11-08-2005, 01:02 PM
How about that... Something I wasn't sure we would ever see, though it is a great idea for everyone involved! Prison Email communications..

I will admit to being surprised that the Federal Bureau of Prisons is the first known system to test something like this because while I was doing time in 2001, the BOP was scared to death of inmates & computers. They didn't even all you to run any macros or database programs in the computer training class that was on a completely (& physically) isolated network. I guess anything is possible now but it begs the question of "WHY".. Certainly it isn't because it will make the loved ones of prison inmates happy... They don't care about that at all..

Here are some quick thoughts on why a system like this would be beneficial to the BOP and any other prison system for that matter..

1. Reduces the amount of manpower time required to hand out mail at mail call..
2. Will possibly reduce contraband introduction in the future if it is widely excepted.
3. Permanent record of communications. They don't have to scan anything.. They have it all and can look back on an inmates history.
4. Profits? Will they be changing for this in the future and how much?

Those are just off the top of my head and the BOP may have already answered this someplace else..

Regardless, I think it is a great idea and hope they roll it out system wide. At the moment it is a pilot program still from what I understand, thanks to PTO members talking about it. :)

Here is the BOP's site that offers a FAQ on the new system.
www.inmatemessage.com/ (http://www.inmatemessage.com/)
Since this is a government owned site I am guessing the content can be copied and pasted here below. (If not, they can contact me and I will take it down :thumbsup: )

What is TRULINCS?
The Trust Fund Limited Inmate Communication System (TRULINCS) is a pilot program currently being conducted by the Federal Bureau of Prisons to provide inmates with some limited capabilities to send and receive electronic correspondence without having access to the Internet and uses no taxpayer dollars.

One purpose of this program is to assist in the inmate’s eventual community reentry. Many of these inmates are nearing their release date. Electronic communications have now become a standard form of correspondence within most American homes and businesses and can now also serve as a way to keep inmates connected to their families. Strengthening or re-establishing these family ties assists the inmates with their successful reentry into the community and can reduce the possibility that they recidivate.

Do inmates have access to the Internet?
No; this service is solely a messaging application and provides no inmate access to the Internet.

Who funds TRULINCS?
No taxpayer dollars are used for this service. Funding is provided entirely by the Inmate Trust Fund, which is maintained by profits from inmate purchases of Commissary products, telephone services, and the fees inmates pay for using TRULINCS.

Which inmates have access to TRULINCS?
The pilot program is currently being conducted at the Federal Prison Camp and Low Security Correctional Institution in Coleman, Florida, utilizing inmates that volunteer to participate.

How do I correspond with an inmate?
Inmates are limited to sending and receiving electronic correspondence only from individuals on their approved contact list. An inmate must request to exchange electronic correspondence with a person in the community by placing that person on their contact list. If staff approve the inmate’s request to exchange electronic correspondence, the system generates a message to that person advising them of the request and gives them the option of accepting; rejecting the request and any future electronic correspondence from that particular inmate; or rejecting the request and any future electronic correspondence from any Federal inmate. The inmate will be notified of the requested contact’s reply action and messaging may begin if the applicable response was received by the contact.

What do I do if I have not received a system generated message, but the inmate added me to their contact list?
Verify with the inmate that they entered your e-mail address properly. Pay special attention to domain names (.com, .net, etc.).
Many mail clients have filters to protect users from spam and viruses. Once you have verified the inmate entered your correct e-mail address, you should check your junk mail folder to see if a filter diverted the message.

I accepted the system generated message, but the inmate has not been notified
Responses will only be accepted from the exact e-mail address placed on the inmate’s contact list. Messages from forwarded domains, alias addresses, or mis-configured mail software will not be recognized by TRULINCS and, therefore, can not be delivered. Please verify your Reply Address in your mail client’s account settings. It must be the exact address entered on the inmate’s contact list.

Is correspondence monitored?
Yes; all correspondence is subject to monitoring. Inmates consent to monitoring when they agree to participate in the program. Contacts consent to monitoring when they approve corresponding with the inmate and are notified each time they receive correspondence from the inmate.

Are there rules?
Correspondence may not jeopardize the safety, security, or orderly operation of the correctional facility, or the protection of the public; exceed 4,000 characters (approximately two pages); or have attachments. Correspondence that jeopardizes the safety, security, or orderly operation of the correctional facility, or the protection of the public or exceeds the 4,000 character limit, will be rejected. Any attachments sent with correspondence, will be stripped and not delivered to the inmate.

What do I do if I want to stop corresponding with an inmate
Contacts may remove themselves from a specific inmate’s contact list or refuse all future Federal inmates’ requests for message exchanges at any time by selecting the applicable action identified in the footer of each inmate message.

What do I do if I accidently declined to correspond and want to correspondIf a member of the public accidently responds that they do not want to correspond with the specific inmate or any Federal inmate and a block is placed on their e-mail address, they must provide a written request to the Warden of the facility where the inmate is located to remove the block. Requests must include the contact’s name, physical address, e-mail address, and telephone number.

David
11-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks to icengineer for posting this in another thread. This is the email that was sent to get setup and approved to communicate with an inmate in the BOP.

This is a system generated message informing you that the above-named person is a federal prisoner who seeks to add you to his'her contact list for exchanging electronic messages. There is no message from the prisoner.

You have only the following options in response to this message.

* You may APPROVE this prisoner for message exchanges by clicking here and then clicking the Send button;

* You may REFUSE this specific prisoner's request for message exchanges by clicking here and then clicking the Send button; or

* You may REFUSE this and all future federal prisoners' requests for message exchanges by clicking here and then clicking the Send button.

Any additional response will not be delivered to the prisoner or the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

By approving this transaction, you consent to have Bureau of Prisons staff monitor the content of all electronic messages exchanged.

Once you have been approved by the Bureau of Prisons to correspond with the prisoner, the prisoner will be notified and must initiate messaging.

David
11-08-2005, 01:21 PM
These are pre-existing threads at PTO relating to email in federal prison:

My First Email from Prison
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123928

Email to Federal Prison? Can it be?
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121669

They are installing computers in my guys prison for inmates to send emails
http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139246

not_unrealistic
11-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Does anyone know how long they plan to test this at Coleman and if/when it will be available at other federal prisons?

jahanara
11-14-2005, 11:31 AM
That's great! Thank you for sharing this with us!!

MRSLMW
11-14-2005, 10:12 PM
Sorry, I am not that impressed nor thrilled with this little "project", I think the money spent out of the prisoner trust fund could, and should, be (better) spent on better medical care, education, and recreation for the prisoners.

I don't see this as something that the majority of prisoners will benefit from, I don't believe this will ever go "system wide", and you know it is only a matter of time before someone figures out how to abuse it; then it's something else they can "take away".

Why don't they try doing simpler things if they want to promote re-entry into society and stronger family/outside relationships to help the offender re-enter society? Things like: Conjugal visits, removing the 300 minute limit on phone calls, or removing the stipulation that the person wanting to visit a Federal prisoner must have known him or her prior to their incarceration?

How about more visitation hours, lower commissary and visitation vending machine prices so the prisoners and families would not have to spend so much money inside, to support stupid ideas like this one, and could save a little bit to pay for expenses that they will be faced with when the prisoner comes home?

Or, God Forbid, how about -- dare I utter the word-- PAROLE????

Oh, I could go on and on about this little gem, but I'll stop here. I am sure there is money to be made here for the BOP, otherwise they would not even have considered it.

It is not for their concern over prisoner re-entry, re-adjustment to society, nor is it out of the kindness of their heart; someone, somewhere is going to make money off this.

Then when things go wrong, which they will, they will blame it all on those nasty, unworthy, scumbucket "inmates".

They always have, they always will. Believe that.

mrslmw

Atalie
11-14-2005, 11:13 PM
It sounds great, but MRSLMW made some valid points.

petnanny
11-18-2005, 08:04 AM
I am one of the lucky recipients of daily emails from my loved one at Coleman Low in Florida. Being able to interact with him in "real time" is awesome, and keeps me abreast of what's happening with him at the federal correctional facility every day. I am thankful that he volunteered to participate in this pilot program. Perhaps this will encourage other inmates to learn how to use the computer, and re-connect and communicate with their loved ones via email. This might also be the first step toward gainful employment, when they are released, as the majority of jobs now require computer skills.

ajap
11-18-2005, 08:22 AM
I agree some of the bad points are valid, but I was thrilled to see this email stuff; my friend is at the federal super max prison and I doubt he'll ever have this, but I AM happy for those that get this sort of contact.

Lillybee
11-18-2005, 10:17 AM
With technology changing every day, the reduction of paper usage, I can see computer terminals in prisons cells or in the tv room, etc. First come, first serve, sign up for time (limited). With restrictions, of course. I may not see it in my life time, but it's coming. Paper money, paper billing, anything to do with paper will eventually disappear. All computer based, ie. telephones, computers, and God forbid v-chips.

MRSLMW
11-18-2005, 08:15 PM
ah, how easily everyone believes that technology is the better way; just wait until the network fails, then when there is no e-mail because of that, oh well. I have had several visiting days cancelled due to the computer based visitation system crashing, but in the beginning it was done with pencil and paper and it worked just fine. Never got told I couldn't visit because the lead in the pencil broke!

I wonder what they will be taking away for this little project? You know somethings gotta go, hmmm, maybe a limit to the number of letters that can be mailed or recieved, maybe 200 minutes a month for the phones, or maybe they'll just take more visitation time away.

As it is, we are at a facility that DOES NOT give Federal holidays free. Not even Christmas, and you know what, that really sucks.

SCM32
11-18-2005, 08:39 PM
We email each other everyday now. I think the email pilot program has helped me more than it has him. Because now if I need to tell him anything, or whatever, all I have to do is get on my computer and tell him, and he gets it usually within an hour, sometimes a little longer.
Before,.. I had to write a letter(which I still do) and had to wait 2 or 3 days for him to get it, or I had to wait for him to call.
The emails are monitored the same way mail is. They (CO's) read all incomming, and outgoing emails. It costs him 5 cents a minute from the time he logs on, till he logs off.
I personally think it is a good thing. I also hope this WILL eventually be in all prisons one day. It opens the means of comminucations greatly.
And even if they do limit the amount of minutes, or take away this or that. It is still better than what they had before. Some good points were made above. :thumbsup: I am just thankfull they allowed something like this,(even if it is to their own benifit) and hope they do for all prisons one day :thumbsup:

Homiegirl
12-03-2005, 12:56 PM
I would love it if they added this program into the facility my love is in. Being able to contact him in any way would be wonderful!!! Mine is 900 miles away so I cant visit him as much as I would like, so this would be another way to stay connected...especially after we run out of phone minutes for the month!

ga in june
02-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Hmmmmmmmm, I'm leary about this one....Fed ex pointed out some good issues.
thanks May God Bless

JJT
03-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Any updates on how this program is going?

JJT

bellisq
03-09-2006, 08:34 PM
I just posted yesterday that it is now in 4 prisons.

annie33
04-15-2006, 04:16 PM
I think this is a good program,especially for parents such as myself, I am awaiting sentencing and would love the chance to maintain contact daily with my children to know what theya re doing in school and on a day to day basis it will allow me to follow them as if I were close by, although it cant replace what i am going to miss if I get sent to prision but it will help ease alot of our pain between times.

cyndian865
05-18-2006, 05:38 PM
I got an email today asking my approval to receive email from my daughter, Dana, at FCI Danbury, CT. I'm so excited! For the past 3 years my daughter was "contracted" to a state prison, 2 hours away and I could take her 5 daughters to visit. A month or so ago they sent her off to Danbury...1200 miles away! This is great news to us!
Cyndee

bluemango
05-19-2006, 12:20 AM
YAY! I got my first email from Chris today! He is at FCI Terminal Island, I guess they have had the email program for a few weeks, but I was weary of it. But, I guess all of my other interactions are monitored, so why not this one?

It's cheaper, only 5 cents per minute for his use on the computers, instead of 25 cents per minute on the phone...

We used to send each other cute little emails when he was home, so it makes me happy that we can do that again. It also makes him feel less disconnected from the 'outside' world.

Homiegirl
05-21-2006, 10:48 PM
OMG its at the FCI's now....that means it may make it to my mans soon....any info u guys know I would appreciate!

Hubie
06-05-2006, 08:35 PM
I also know that OMG is at the Victorville USP now. So it's getting around!

What would I do without this site????

moetbj
06-07-2006, 06:04 PM
how do we find out which one's have it?

Brent's Mom
06-07-2006, 06:11 PM
I wish it would happen for state too!

may556
06-16-2006, 09:01 PM
Alderson Fed Prison, WV has it

haswtch
06-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Just the idea of being able to send an email in and they get it in an hour sounds like a big positive to me.

osin
06-19-2006, 07:23 AM
You know, I rarely post to the forums because I'm usually busy on one of my projects, but for some reason I checked the Federal forum today and saw this thread. I think it is generally a good idea, but if it is handled in the typical BOP way, it will be doomed to failure. MRSLMW has some good valid points. I, too, wonder who is profiting from this. I cannot imagine that the BOP system administrators are going to administer this program. Potentially, it could take a lot of time if they extend it to the entire system, so, so much for the taxpayers not having to foot the bill (think overtime).

The hacker in me is wondering if they outsourced this test pilot program. And if so, to whom? For those of you who have received an email from someone in the test program, it would be beneficial to see the headers in the email. All email sent over the internet has what are called headers that tells which email server it originated. That would give some indication who is handling the program. Generally, nearly all email programs allow you to view the headers of an email message. For Windows users, it might be under the View tab.

The hacker in me also sees a potential of abuse in this. If the BOP (or the contractor) is not doing reverse domain name resolutions then there is the potential of email getting spoofed. And no attachments? Who cares? With the latest round of Internet Explorer vulnerabilities, you only need Javascript. One would hope they're parsing out ALL html tags. And I'm dying to know how inmates are viewing their email. Is it proprietary software or just a regular windows box with limited features?

And finally, I ask myself if ALL inmates will be eligible for this program or just the ones close to being released? I know if I was a lifer and I was supporting a project with my trust fund payments and not allowed to use it, I would sue. You can bet your ass if it was a religious program it would be nixed in a heartbeat. If the BOP puts its usual half-assed approach to TRULINCS as it does to other endeavors then it's doomed to failure.

Mom2006
07-26-2006, 12:14 PM
I see the good and the bad in this. My only thought is if they'd spend a little extra money they could keep inmates closer to home and save some money from transporting them hundreds of miles from home when there are facilities close to home! And from what I've read, when the times comes they don't transport them back! It would save all of us some grief, money and time. And keep families together instead of driving them apart further when they can't afford to drive hundreds of miles and pay hotels. Especially now with everything going up in price.

minmin
07-26-2006, 03:12 PM
Does anyone know if it is in State Prisons?And which ones?

neurosis
08-02-2006, 11:27 PM
I sure hope where ever I end up has email. It would sure make it easier.

Ifoundhim
08-16-2006, 06:58 PM
My father is in Cumberland FCI and email is supposed to be coming there sometime soon....

pristock230
08-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Is there a master list somewhere so we can see what Federal Facilities have it?

tkeefover
09-27-2006, 11:29 AM
I know Terminal Island FCI has it. Last night I just received an email asking for my permission to interact with an inmate. It was my husband. I am now waiting for the "true" email. I can't wait to see what an improvement this will be rather than "snail mail".

RachelisJims
10-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a list of which Fed prisons are using the email.....

auntnet
10-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Hey everyone. I'm curious about which federal prisons have implemented the TRULINCS program. My husband is going to Yazoo City low on Dec. 1st. Just hoping I might be able to communicate with him via email. That would be great!:o

mlg_0720
10-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Hey everyone. I'm curious about which federal prisons have implemented the TRULINCS program. My husband is going to Yazoo City low on Dec. 1st. Just hoping I might be able to communicate with him via email. That would be great!:o
Hello,

my name is MaryLynn did u get your answer on what federal prison has email. my husband just went to a federal prison (Milan, Michigan) do a 10 year sentence. i dont have alot of money to send to him and this email thing would be so great that way i would not have to wait for a letter in the mail and i could talk to him everyday. let me know and thanks

Ifoundhim
10-29-2006, 06:37 PM
There is email at cumberland fci now.

belay55
10-31-2006, 08:49 PM
I have to say i love the email program. I am over 1000 miles away from FMC Carswell and visits are out. This is the only way besides high priced phone calls and the letters to have contact with my wife. At least this is almost real time. There have been some problems over the last several days with her receiving my emails but the sewer unclogged this morning. So today i am back to loving it.

quietlion
11-11-2006, 03:18 AM
My husband is in Seatac Federal Detention Center pending his trail and we've been able to correspond via email, so it's not just for inmates who have been sentenced or are on their way out. I have to say that although emailing doesn't make our situation any easier it does make it slightly better. I use to live for the phone calls and sometimes missed a few. This email thing makes it so much easier. Check it once, twice a day and if I miss a phone call, it's ok.

rebecca22557
11-16-2006, 08:27 PM
I was released from Marianna FPC on Aug. 30, 2006 and our warden said soon all federal prisons would be allowed access to e mail.

One_Flesh_Union
11-27-2006, 09:46 AM
My husband is also at seatac and has access to email. Email has changed the dynamic of our family! It keeps my husband involved in every day life. He is involved in daily decision making with me and with our kids! Email access is keeping our family close together and I pray everyone within the federal system will have access to this amazing means of communication soon!

gsochris
11-29-2006, 09:33 AM
My Fiancé started her commitment at FPC Victorville beginning of Nov. She's been setup on TRULINCS which has provided us an excellent opportunity at daily communication. In this camp there are time restrictions, for example, the inmate can only be on for a 1/2 hour then they have to step away for 15 minutes. At FPC Victorville there are only four terminals and I'm told they are very busy. The cost is minimal though. I'm not aware if the other institutions there in Victorville have TRULINCS or not.

mlg_0720
11-29-2006, 04:27 PM
Has anyone hear if Milan Federal Prison in Michigan has got it yet?

Eia
11-29-2006, 04:33 PM
My fiance is in USP Victorville.So it looks like the complex must have it.:)

greyghost
12-29-2006, 09:35 PM
The pilot program went well and the BOP has authorized this system to be implemented bureau wide. No time table set up, but it will be coming to a prison near you.

Baby Girl27
12-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Thank you, God. I know it will take a while, but at least we know it is coming. Is this just for camps or all fci's and usp's? Greyghost thank you so much for that much needed information.

kintml2u
12-31-2006, 10:29 AM
The pilot program went well and the BOP has authorized this system to be implemented bureau wide. No time table set up, but it will be coming to a prison near you.

I second the thanks! It seems like more and more are coming up which is a good thing for those of us who have limited contact and keep things level (nothing to be concerned about)!

KMORSE
01-07-2007, 05:34 PM
I too was thrilled when my man told me about this (he is in Morgantown WV). I was just as thrilled to start getting email from him. But in the past 3 weeks he has been sending me messages and I have NOT recevied any of them. He has tried everything even talked to th CO in charge of it... but still nothing. We are both very fustrated.... has anyone else had this problem or can shed some ligt on this?

mlg_0720
01-07-2007, 06:07 PM
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN:)

Does anyone know if Waseca MN got this email program:confused: my hubby is shipped there the end of by febraury first he will go to Okalahoma for a few weeks.

RachelisJims
01-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Is there a list as to what prions offer this. I've searched the BOP site without any luck.

optimistic
01-12-2007, 09:41 PM
How often do inmates get to use the email system and for how long? Also is there a max they can spend like with the 300 minutes of phone time and also does it factor into their $290 allowed spending per month?

A lot of questions....LOL...I know! :)

jgino
02-02-2007, 01:59 PM
I was at Danbury FPC, womens camp recently and was released! TRULINCS is a great thing to have access to. With limited phone use as far as minutes and TRULINS being unlimited and not expensive. It is a great way to keep in touch with family and friends. Hopefully they will expand this to many more facilities

PoohBaby
03-01-2007, 05:53 PM
i did hear recently that all the facilities at Coleman, FL will be getting the email soon. Thank God for that. And duh, would the BOP publish a list of facilities that have it already!? it's also good to hear that it is unlimited as opposed to phone calls, but i guess certain facilities can institute their own stipulations like intervals.

Leslieyosbe
03-08-2007, 05:16 PM
My husband is in Coleman FL, (Low) since august and we have been comunicating over the e-mail since that date...It is a blessing...specially when the 300 phone call minutes are finished!!

Ilene
03-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Alderson prison camp in Alderson W.V. has e mail. My daughter is there and the e mails are so nice. i can keep in touch with her. ait takes any where from one and a half to two hours and that is much faster than mail.

Ilene

mlg_0720
03-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Does Waseca Minnesota have the Trulinic email program does any know --hubby just got transferred there last week.

regs
04-06-2007, 08:30 PM
does anyone know if FCI Elkton will be getting email?

BarlowScout
04-20-2007, 03:03 PM
I want to know too! If anyone knows if FCI ELkton has e-mail that would be great! :thumbsup:

drd
04-20-2007, 10:28 PM
And the camp at Atwater, calif?

drd
04-21-2007, 11:57 AM
A little research indicates that the BOP likes TRULINCS cuz it gives them less snail mail to review. According to some govt reports, it was in 11 institutions in 2006, with plans to expand system wide.

The~Mad~Hatter
05-17-2007, 10:42 AM
A little research indicates that the BOP likes TRULINCS cuz it gives them less snail mail to review. According to some govt reports, it was in 11 institutions in 2006, with plans to expand system wide.

Great News!!!! :yay:

omg323
05-31-2007, 10:38 PM
:eek: ahh!! my trulincs msg that i received from an inmate and i have tried to 'accept' in twice now, it's not going through and i don't why. i've gone to my mail settings to make sure it works. could it be bc my email address is through aol? if anyone has any suggestions on what i can do so that my acceptance/subscription messages will go through or maybe what's wrong with my aol email account your help is more appreciated than you can imagine. thanks !!!!!:D

petnanny
06-03-2007, 01:26 PM
yes, it could definately be because you have an aol email address. if i were you, i would get a free yahoo email address and use that instead. i used one when i was emailing an inmate at coleman low, and it worked fine. aol email is known for blocking emails from unknown sources and sending them to the spam folder.

bellisq
06-03-2007, 06:04 PM
i get trulincs on Aol, no problem, As long as you use the reply button to answer other people's mail, it is exactly the same.

Bec1975
06-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Anyone know is Marianna Women's FPC has this yet? Thanks!

minmin
06-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Does anyone know if this is in NY yet?Or if it is on its way here?And will it be or is it available in every Prison?

veronisia94
06-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Im Looking For A Derrick Bowles Im New To This

mommaof5
07-03-2007, 02:29 PM
this would be great for families who have people that are on the inside that are somewhat computer savvy but there are some people who still have problems using the vcr!!

gapeachwifey
07-03-2007, 03:34 PM
I love it. It allows me and my husband to communicate daily and it's quicker than a letter if I need to tell him something important.

Buggy
07-19-2007, 04:38 AM
All these entries make valid points, but email DOES have it's benefits.

When my friend's father became seriously ill, and her family was all at the hospital, they called and asked me to email her. I emailed her immediately to let her know. Within hours, she got my email and called her brother's approved cell number while he was visiting her father at the hospital, and she spoke to her father. No money in the world could have been more important to her at that time, to speak to her father before he died.

I was able to help her thru after the funeral with mulitple emails daily, and yes I sent funds to help her pay for them, and still do. What ever it takes to help her get thru her "time" is fine with me.

Yes, there are a few who don't follow email rules, but only ONCE in over a year in email communication with her has someone else done something that affected the others' email privledges, and it only lasted a few days. I can live with that, and so can she.

I still email her daily, sometimes more than once. I and a few others are her link to the outside world. She keeps up with her family, she gives me recipes, "prison cheesecake" for example, we talked about american idol and who we thought should win, we talk about our children. I would have to sit here for hours writing a letter via "snail mail", and she DOES cherish hand-written letters from her Mother and others who don't have email at home; but she loves hearing about daily happenings in her loved ones' lives, and stays connected to them in ways she couldn't before emails.

She TREASURES emails dearly, as I'm sure thousands of incarcerated men and women across our great United States are now able to do. It makes a big difference to the inmate in your life.

minmin
07-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Is the TRULINCS for Federal only?Or is it for State as well?Is there someplace online I can go and find out more info??
Thanx

petnanny
07-20-2007, 05:52 PM
you can go to the website: www.inmatemessage.com (http://www.inmatemessage.com) to read all the f.a.q's. i believe it is only being used by the (B.O.P.) *federal* system, not the state.

SCMom
07-21-2007, 06:40 AM
Is there a list as to what prions offer this. I've searched the BOP site without any luck.

My opinion is that the thread lower down from this"sticiky" should be joined together. A good many people new to the federal prison system would not know what "trunlics" even mean, I would suggest combining them and deleting the first threads unless revelant. A big thanks to our moderators, etc. that work on this site!!! We all love you very much!:D ;)

bellisq
08-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Federal Prison Camp and Low Security Correctional Institution in
Coleman, Florida;
Federal Correctional Institution in Danbury, Connecticut;
United States Penitentiary, Federal Correctional Institution II, and
Federal Prison Camp Victorville;
Federal Correctional Institution Terminal Island;
Federal Prison Camp, Alderson;
Federal Detention Center, SeaTac;
Federal Medical Center, Carswell;
Hazelton Secure Female Facility;
Federal Correctional Institution, Morgantown
Federal Prison Camp in Montgomery, Alabama.

Know any others?

mlg_0720
08-13-2007, 12:29 PM
anyone heard yet if MINNESOTA will be getting it ? just visit hubby there over the weekend and he knows nothin of it or what it is.

LamontLover
08-28-2007, 06:14 PM
In the Name of Jesus, make it ALL OVER!!! :yay: :yay: :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Great News!!!! :yay:

sugar-cat
09-22-2007, 07:18 AM
he did send me the e-mail 2 approve so...i did...but we still cant e-mail eachother..:(
Does someone know why it dont work...he send it 2 me...2 times...and 2 times i approve...it's really working on my nerves.

HELP??????????????????

petnanny
09-22-2007, 10:31 AM
do you have an *aol* email account? sometimes there are technical difficulties using this email system. i would suggest getting a *yahoo* email, since it is more user friendly for the inmate emails.

sugar-cat
09-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Nope I use hotmail...i have yahoo also...but is it possible that i can switch the email 2 a other one?

petnanny
09-23-2007, 12:07 PM
yes, i believe so, but you must first inform him via telephone or letter, so that he can send you a new request to the new email address.

FBOPAlderson
09-23-2007, 12:47 PM
If you have a problem with accepting the Trulinks email have the inmate go to the office and they can see what the problem is. It can usually be fixed from their end

sugar-cat
09-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks...2 The Both Of U! :)

mzpeachez
09-24-2007, 02:42 PM
I was told it was $5 for 100 minutes. They are not charged if they log on and no email is there.

mzpeachez
09-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Sorry, responded to an older message

sugar-cat
09-27-2007, 01:17 AM
do you have an *aol* email account? sometimes there are technical difficulties using this email system. i would suggest getting a *yahoo* email, since it is more user friendly for the inmate emails.

YES IT FINALLY WORKS, WITH THE YAHOOACCOUNT IT WAS DONE IN 1 DAY!:D

petnanny
09-28-2007, 04:42 PM
YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAD A FEELING THAT THIS WOULD SOLVE YOUR EMAIL PROBLEM. I'M GLAD IT WORKED FOR YOU.

MomofJDnTB
10-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Has anyone heard if this is going to be expanded to all prisons? I would love to be involved in this. I am not a paper & pen writer but I do email.

waiting4her
10-15-2007, 10:48 AM
My wife transferred to the prison camp at Victorville, where they have the email program. She has been there a couple of months now and personally, this is a wonderful asset. I wrote a letter to her every day and talked to her for a few minutes every day, but email is better. Despite the delays between transmissions of a few hours, we can share information much more readily. As she gets nearer to her release date, this will aid us in her making the transition back into the community and the work force. There are many things that need improve within this system. While email access would not be my first choice to spend time and money, I'll take it and will make the best of it.

BigFellasGirl
10-22-2007, 01:16 PM
I've been informed that FCI - Milan will be getting email.

KenTax
11-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Is pensacola FPC on line with this program?

Christina48174
11-12-2007, 07:09 AM
Is there a list somewhere with the places that have it already?

BJ1950
11-12-2007, 10:13 AM
I was told they are talking about getting it at Seagoville FCI, Texas I hope this is true.

goingtojailaz
12-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Is there email at the camp at Latuna, NM?

spouseinmate
12-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Does anyone know if this is available at Atwater Camp? Also, has anyone used JPay to send emails to loved ones?

angelpoof
01-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Will it be offered to inmates that are inside for computer hacking crimes? ive been googling to see if I can find anything but havent ran across anything yet.. thanks

tonythetigress
01-25-2008, 02:02 PM
I think it would be a great idea I would love to be able to keep in touch with my bf by email

David
01-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Does anyone know if any more prisons have been added outside of what is listed on TRULINCS website?

waldron
02-03-2008, 07:56 AM
I email with my pal and waiting till 2moro to see if he was allowed to read some stuff i copied and pasted in email, one was jokes which i edited somewhat and another was a new item, also ive just sent an email using smileys so holding my breath to see if they let it all through to him

optimistic
02-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Hey All! I am wondering if Springfield will be getting Trulincs soon. Anyone have an idea? My sweetie has heard no talk of it. Is there a way to contact his facility and request they get it?

waldron
02-06-2008, 06:29 AM
Just to update you all here concerning emails to a federal prison, my pal phoned me last night and he did receive email i sent with copy and pasted articles

Ifoundhim
02-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Did your smilies go through? I thought they'd be considered an attachment.

missingmine247
02-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Here is a link to the company that created and installs the system in BOP facilities. There is a map that shows the locations that are using email and the locations that have scheduled installs.
http://www.a-t-g.com/

Ifoundhim
02-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Wow that's a great link. Thanks!

PTO-97580
02-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the great link.

Red's Girl SLC
02-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Looks like all the facilities have scheduled installs. Am I reading this right? thanks for the info!! Very exciting :)

Softlips
02-14-2008, 02:21 AM
Red's Girl,

The site listing the different states or facilities that have TRULINCS also list it by facility. Make sure you scan the complete "top" heading categories, as most facilities have the technical capabilities of checking anything from funds to commissary operations, but most facilities in the North Central Region of federal facilities do not have TRULINCS. Hope this helps you.

Shelsonme
02-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Great info! My loved one said that there were talks about getting email at his institution, and I was under the impression that eventually all federal institutions would have the option within the next few years. A much less expensive way to communicate!

stacie143
11-01-2008, 03:15 AM
SOMEONE OUT THERE IN THIS F'D ^ WORLD IS GOING THROUGH SOMETHING SIMILAR
TO WHAT I AM GOING THROUGH RIGHT NOW.
I WANT TO KNOW IF I CAN CONTACT MY MAN THROUGH THE INTERNET USING TRULINCS,
THANK U

STACIE143:confused:

Zelda50
11-01-2008, 04:46 PM
It depends on which institution he's in. Only some of them have TruLINCS. You'd have to give your guy your email address and then he initiates it from his end, if it's available there. He should know if it's available.

skipper1953
11-02-2008, 07:10 PM
They had it in Morgantown WV. It was expensive for my son as the charges began as soon as he began connecting to the message system, i.e. it cost him to even check to see whether he had messages. It was good though to be able to tell him something quickly, such as the time his wife had an accident and couldn't visit and we could let him know right away so he wouldn't worry.

HubbyInFMC
11-04-2008, 10:34 AM
My husband told me that the time he uses emailing comes off the 300 telephone minutes he gets. Is this true? He doesn't know how to type, so if it is, this would take a lot of precious time simply because he would take so long typing a message. Trulincs has been installed at FMC Devens. They don't have access yet.

bellisq
11-04-2008, 11:05 AM
no, the charge is separate.You can send him a mock-up of a keyboard on paper and he can practice to learn to type.

HubbyInFMC
11-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks for clearing that up. The keyboard is a great idea.:)

gunandrose
11-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Does anyone know if it is in State Prisons?

meddjay
06-19-2009, 12:30 AM
What is the email addy they are using for the prisons? I am on contact list but have not heard from him through email so maybe he forgot what my email addy was. I know it is THEIR first and last name, but what is after the @ sign? Is it something like Joe.Blow@BOP.gov? Anyone know?

bellisq
06-19-2009, 04:12 AM
Your friend will have to send you a permission email and you have to respond before you can regularly get emails. you'll have to write him via snail and remind him to put you on the list.

BUTTERCUP425
06-19-2009, 08:30 AM
What is the email addy they are using for the prisons? I am on contact list but have not heard from him through email so maybe he forgot what my email addy was. I know it is THEIR first and last name, but what is after the @ sign? Is it something like Joe.Blow@BOP.gov? Anyone know?

It is.... inmatenumber@inmatemessage.com

ex. 1234567890@inmatemessage.com

The initial email will be from "admin" and subject line will say - inmate - and their full name.

So if you have their inmate number you can enter that address is your contacts to be sure it won't go to your junk/bulk folder.

Here is the initial email I received...

This is a system generated message informing you that the above-named person is a federal prisoner who seeks to add you to his/her contact list for exchanging electronic messages. There is no message from the prisoner.

You have only the following options in response to this message.

* You may APPROVE this prisoner for message exchanges by clicking here and then clicking the Send button;

or

* You may REFUSE this specific prisoner's request for message exchanges by clicking here and then clicking the Send button; or

* You may REFUSE this and all future federal prisoners' requests for message exchanges by clicking here and then clicking the Send button.

Any additional response will not be delivered to the prisoner or the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

By approving this transaction, you consent to have Bureau of Prisons staff monitor the content of all electronic messages exchanged.

Once you have been approved by the Bureau of Prisons to correspond with the prisoner, the prisoner will be notified and must initiate messaging.

For additional information related to this program, please visit the

http://www.bop.gov/inmate_programs/trulincs_faq.jsp FAQ page.