View Full Version : Worried (son just went in to Naval Brig Miramar)

proud mom
11-13-2005, 08:23 AM
my son arrived there 3 days ago, a phone call from him the 1st day, to tell us he was there and safe. we have not heard from him since. is there a waiting period? can i call to check on him? will they send us a 'book of rules' why hasnt he called again? when can we see him? i know i am full of questions. i have read through some of the forums and must tell you all. this is a godsend. thanks for being here, proud mom

mrsdragoness
11-13-2005, 08:45 AM
Hello and Welcome to PTO! I just moved this to the Texas Forum.. the members there will answer your questions ;)

good luck

mrsd

LAT
11-13-2005, 08:51 AM
Mom,

Welcome to PTO. You are lucky that you got a phone from him on the first day. You will not likely have another phone call for a long time. In Texas they are allowed one phone call every 90 days - if approved.

These next few weeks will probably be the hardest for your son. Even though you may not hear from him, keep writing him and encouraging him because knowing that someone cares about them is sometimes the only thing that keeps these guys going

jojacks
11-13-2005, 09:03 AM
Where is your son that he was allowed a phone call the first day?

BB's Mom
11-13-2005, 11:39 AM
What type of unit did he go to? My son called on his second day at Glossbrenner. He did call a second time, because nobody was home the first time. We have received many letters. He told us he would not be able to call often, so we should get use to writing and receiving letters. We were able to see him his first weekend in, since he put us down on his visitors list. Let me know if I can answer anymore questions, just PM .

proud mom
11-13-2005, 11:49 AM
he is at the brigg in miramar,ca

Silva
11-13-2005, 01:54 PM
California? Let me just go get Mrs D again....

mrsdragoness
11-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Is he in a California prison or a Military prison??? Once we have that information, I"ll move this to the right forum ;)

FriscoLady
11-13-2005, 02:08 PM
Proud Mom

Welcome to the PTO Family and to the military forums!

Patti

proud mom
11-13-2005, 06:47 PM
he is in military prison

proud mom
11-13-2005, 06:58 PM
i am not sure what is meant by a forum, and where are they. does anyone have experience with the naval brigg at mirimar ca

BB's Mom
12-02-2005, 05:15 PM
I don't have experience with the naval brigg at Miramar. As to your question regarding a forum, it a page here on Prision Talk that hooks up people with the same type of questions and from the same area in the the US. I hope you get your answers. Keep strong and know that there are many of us in similar situations.

luvssks
12-14-2005, 04:26 PM
I was in Miramar myself, relesed in March. You have to have money to put onto your phone account. If you don't have money, you won't be able to use the phone. Phone cards are not authorized. Also, once someone sends you money, it takes a while for the money to get put into your acct (when I was there, they processed money on to the phones only once a week or maybe even longer than that...I hardly had money so I don't recall clearly). Last but not least, he also has to turn in a phone roster, and then they will give him an acct number for his phone use. It takes a few days for the roster to get put thru and for you to get an acct number. The first call on the first day the prisoner makes while being inprocessed so famiies don't worry. Also, if he is considered a suicide risk (I was for the first 24 hours) you don't get to do anything. AND...there are only certain times of the day that the phone can be used and only for a certain amount of minutes...and sometimes there can be a line of prisoners waiting for the phones, especially now that it's getting closer to the holidays. Hope this is helpful.

Lillybee
12-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Welcome and dont' panic. You will find your way around here.

hunter2318
01-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Hey there, I can tell you the little bit I know about Miramar since I am kinda learning as I go as well. My fiance just went in around November and yea basically he has to put you on his call list as well as a mailing list. Any calls they need money sent to them in order to make phone calls. Its like $15.00 a phone call. They can generally only call at night during the week on weekends I am not too sure if there is much of a time restriction. They are allowed visitors but again you have to be on his visitation list. Visits are every Saturday & Sunday from 1-3pm...if you live outside of California they are sometimes good about granting special visitation at night from like 6-8pm. When my fiance was taken into custody he called his mom who then called me,....he took almost a month before he could call me. They are slow when it comes to getting stuff approved and what not. Let me know if you have any questions and I will share with you as much as I have learned over the last 2-3mos.

Take Care.

Jen

pancurium
02-11-2006, 05:07 AM
my son arrived there 3 days ago, a phone call from him the 1st day, to tell us he was there and safe. we have not heard from him since. is there a waiting period? can i call to check on him? will they send us a 'book of rules' why hasnt he called again? when can we see him? i know i am full of questions. i have read through some of the forums and must tell you all. this is a godsend. thanks for being here, proud mom

In 1989 I faced 297 years, 7 months in a naval prison for drug charges and 2 escapes from the Jacksonville NAS Brig. After court martial I faced 57 years 7 months and did 16 months on that.
I lost my phone calls for 2 weeks for falling asleep during the day in my cell. The system is very harsh and any discipline problems are dealt with severely. Phone calls are used as leverage and they have to be earned and they are easily lost. Civilians don't know how bad it can be in a military prison. It is very harsh and parole doesn't happen. Your son must be a model prisoner or you wont hear much from him. Be strong and be there for him when he gets home. Your son will be a different person than who he was when he went in. Depending on how long he stays there, he may never be the same and jail will never again be a deterent for him to stay out of trouble. The civilians cannot do to a man what the military can and he will leave hardened.
I've been there and walked out. I feel for you both. Good luck to both of you.

proud mom
02-14-2006, 10:59 PM
I have now been to Mirimar twice to visit him. You have all had right on for advice. he will be in for 3 yrs, [or 2.5] ha ha, he seems to be making it day by day. he was put there out of vengence from a youg woman, we have all true proof it was all not true but none of us who were there and including my son were not allowed to testify. everyone says they had to let him testify, w e l l they didnt. yes our attounys say we have better than average for an apeal, but he still sits in prison, Inocent. MY son, me and my family went into this with the belief in truth and justice would prevail.... Not that nieve anymore. we have contacted our congressmen who look and listen and become outradged that a trial could have taken place this bad and so full of blatent errors, but then all say, well I can't get involved right now on such a sensitive case, because it would be political suiside, I am about to believe there are no answers . anyway. we try to keep him in phone money to call, cause thats all he has with reality right now, please pray for us, and thanks for listening, Proud Mom

Mikels_mom
02-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Does any one have any information on Fort Lewis Correctional Facilty located in Washington State. That is where my son is and he gets to call once a week, usually on sunday but he does not talk much never has, but every time I ask how are things he ALWAYS says that things are "FINE" no problems. I hope that is true but does anyone have any information about the place. They have a great website but of course they are going to make it look good.

discoball
02-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Welcome, I found this link and maybe it will be helpful if you havent already seen this one..
http://www.lewis.army.mil/mpbde/704th_mp_bn/serv11.htm

I think he is probably doing ok, just needs some time to adjust to the lack of freedom, etc.. he wouldnt want to worry you anymore than necessary and since probably not much is going on there for him, he might not have much to tell.

Pirate4life
07-12-2006, 01:32 PM
proud Mom--
Im new to this site. But my husband has been in Miramar for 1 year 35 days. He has 1yr 3 months left. When he first went in I was calling raising hell (not exactly the best idea I had)...however...they got me straight to his counselor and he was able to explain SOME things to me. I only speak to my husband 2 amonth because it is so expensive. But we write alll the time. he is able to tell me about his work and some of the shit that they are doing to him. I dont know your sons circumstances but all I can say is if he has to be in a military prison thats the best one to be at. Why do i say this? After speaking to my husbands military attorney, he has told me some of the rules and regulations of the OTHER prisons and Im lucky my husband is where he is.

If you ever want someone to talk to about Miramar Im here...Most people there know me by now...not by choice lol. Im loud and I make my point to them...and my husband hasnt suffered once from it. Hes actually very proud, and his counselor has told him that he wishes other wives were as vocal as I was because Im making sure they are taking care of my husband. My husband is innocent (yes I know its said by alot of people) but we have a polygraph test to PROVE hes innocent....and were working on his appeal right now. He too is in there because of a vindictive woman.

Again if you want someone to talk to feel free to ask ok?

Oh and HELLO Im new here...sorry not much of an intro from me. I just need to find someone else who understands my situation. None of my friends do and Ive become somewhat of a recluse....refusing to associate with jsut about anyone anymore. We have 2 beautiful children who dont understand what is happening. They think that daddy is still at work. Im to afraid to tell them the truth.

txsfmhstn
07-13-2006, 01:24 AM
Hello and welcome to PTO :)

rachael619
09-06-2006, 04:51 PM
dose any one know the name of the xo or co at the brig at miramar san diego and mailing address???

kateybug4u
05-11-2009, 05:09 PM
dose any one know the name of the xo or co at the brig at miramar san diego and mailing address???

Naval Consolidated Brig Miramar

46141 Miramar Way, Suite 1P.O. Box 452135San Diego, California 92145-2135
Commanding Officer - CDR Tim Leonard
Executive Officer - CDR Erik Spitzer

merilove
02-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Hello, my name is Patrice and my fiance was sentenced to Brig Miramar in Nov2009. He has been able to call and we communicate mostly by mail. However Pirate4life, you mentioned you were put in contact with your husband's counselor. How do I get in touch with my fiance's counselor to check up on him and how he is and how he is being cared for?

It seems a lot of men at Miramar are there because of crazy, vindictive women as is my fiance's case as well... it just sucks because we just had a baby the month before his sentencing so I'm having a hard time trying to find a balance. His family has been really supportive but I just find it hard when I can't talk to him like before.

I have had luck geting over the picture limit rule by using shutterfly to make photobooks for him. I put the first three months of our daughters life in there so he doesn't miss out on any memories. They called him to the mail room and gave him 2 options... open the package and mail it home ( they thought it was full of regular pictures) or send it right back (either way he had to pay for the postage). He opted to open it and when they saw it was a book told him it would have to get approved but did allow him to look through it. The next day it was brought to his cell and he was told he could keep it. He has it on his desk. So I am going to mail him a photobook every couple of months. I just make sure to add cations to the photos and basically write out a story on the pages... just in case they can't say it an album because I turned it into a story.

Anyhow, any info anyone has would be greatly appreciated... any in's and out's of Miramar or ANYTHING! Thank you all for sharing your stories and advice.

proud Mom--
Im new to this site. But my husband has been in Miramar for 1 year 35 days. He has 1yr 3 months left. When he first went in I was calling raising hell (not exactly the best idea I had)...however...they got me straight to his counselor and he was able to explain SOME things to me. I only speak to my husband 2 amonth because it is so expensive. But we write alll the time. he is able to tell me about his work and some of the shit that they are doing to him. I dont know your sons circumstances but all I can say is if he has to be in a military prison thats the best one to be at. Why do i say this? After speaking to my husbands military attorney, he has told me some of the rules and regulations of the OTHER prisons and Im lucky my husband is where he is.

If you ever want someone to talk to about Miramar Im here...Most people there know me by now...not by choice lol. Im loud and I make my point to them...and my husband hasnt suffered once from it. Hes actually very proud, and his counselor has told him that he wishes other wives were as vocal as I was because Im making sure they are taking care of my husband. My husband is innocent (yes I know its said by alot of people) but we have a polygraph test to PROVE hes innocent....and were working on his appeal right now. He too is in there because of a vindictive woman.

Again if you want someone to talk to feel free to ask ok?

Oh and HELLO Im new here...sorry not much of an intro from me. I just need to find someone else who understands my situation. None of my friends do and Ive become somewhat of a recluse....refusing to associate with jsut about anyone anymore. We have 2 beautiful children who dont understand what is happening. They think that daddy is still at work. Im to afraid to tell them the truth.

Superman#1
05-01-2011, 06:50 PM
I recently got out of miramar a couple of months ago. Ma'am all i can say is that your son couldnt be in safer hands. If he follows the rules his time there will be a breeze. I encourage you to put money on his account if you can ( even though what they charge is criminal) and continue to write letters. Life there is very simple. The gaurds there are just like what you would meet in normal society..you know..a few winners and aloooot of assholes. If you're there for more than 6 months they give you a job at the brig. I was there for a year so I had alot..a cook, janitor crew, dish washer, and paint crew *siiiighhhhhh* f*ck my life. Anyways hope everything goes well and you're in my prayers.

P.S
If any of your family is in the B3 area of the brig then theres a good chance I know them.

Superman#1
05-01-2011, 06:52 PM
I recently got out of miramar a couple of months ago. Ma'am all i can say is that your son couldnt be in safer hands. If he follows the rules his time there will be a breeze. I encourage you to put money on his account if you can ( even though what they charge is criminal) and continue to write letters. Life there is very simple. The gaurds there are just like what you would meet in normal society..you know..a few winners and aloooot of assholes. If you're there for more than 6 months they give you a job at the brig. I was there for a year so I had alot..a cook, janitor crew, dish washer, and paint crew *siiiighhhhhh* f*ck my life. Anyways hope everything goes well and you're in my prayers

Floridafriend
02-11-2012, 01:27 AM
I have now been to Mirimar twice to visit him. You have all had right on for advice. he will be in for 3 yrs, [or 2.5] ha ha, he seems to be making it day by day. he was put there out of vengence from a youg woman, we have all true proof it was all not true but none of us who were there and including my son were not allowed to testify. everyone says they had to let him testify, w e l l they didnt. yes our attounys say we have better than average for an apeal, but he still sits in prison, Inocent. MY son, me and my family went into this with the belief in truth and justice would prevail.... Not that nieve anymore. we have contacted our congressmen who look and listen and become outradged that a trial could have taken place this bad and so full of blatent errors, but then all say, well I can't get involved right now on such a sensitive case, because it would be political suiside, I am about to believe there are no answers . anyway. we try to keep him in phone money to call, cause thats all he has with reality right now, please pray for us, and thanks for listening, Proud Mom

I am sorry to hear of this. I have never been in prison but I was in the military and want to help with prison reform. I am happy to help in any way I can with any unjust situations such as yours. Please feel free to email me privately. Maybe if several people get involved something can be done. God bless. Your son is lucky to have a good Mom.

forgetmyname
05-01-2012, 12:06 AM
paint crew

Man... Three other guys, myself, and one "guard" put over 100 gallons of paint on that place back in '07. I can't believe it needed to be done again. I thought for sure I played it on thick enough to last a decade. That's disappointing. :(

MommaBugh56
10-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Hi,
My son has been there (Mirimar Naval Brig) since Thursday Oct.25th, 2012 and I would like to know if and how I can contact him, phone calls, mail etc. I haven't really figured out how to get around this site yet so any information would be deeply appreciated!

Thank you,
Sincerely,
R. Olson

MommaBugh56
10-30-2012, 03:58 PM

Hello Proud Mom,
I also have the same questions as you. My son was sent there Thursday 25th, 2012. I can't find anything I'm looking for! I can't even find a phone number of anyone I can call with my questions! It's so frustrating! Please let me know if you have any info, I would deeply appreciate it! I don't feel that he deserves to even be there but on top of it, they don't even help to give families peace of mind!

Subie24
11-07-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm not familiar with Miramar but you can probably get the address by googling it. Then write to your son. If you can, send him a postal money order so he can set up an account to call you. He won't be able to call until he gets that. Does he have an attorney? Either one assigned by the navy or a private attorney with experience in military issues....good luck. Feel free to pm me if you want to chat. We are in a similar situation....hence being here

Kate_Miramar
11-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Prisoners Name
PO Box 452136
San Diego, CA 92145

My fiance is there, this information is accurate! They read all mail, you can send cards/letters/projects from kids, as long as there are no rhinestones or anything on it. They can only recieve money orders for the Supply account and their phone account. This is kind of a long process to get money transferred so send it as soon as they get low. Any other questions, just ask! Thanks!

ps. I've been to miramar 5 times to visit now and it isn't too bad!