View Full Version : Formby TX State Jail in Plainview, Texas - need general info

his_bigsister
11-27-2005, 08:11 PM
I was just hoping to get some information about Formby. My brother was just moved there and will be there for about 10 months. I would really appreciate anything you all could tell me. :)

Thanks,
his_bigsister

sapphirediamond
11-28-2005, 11:31 PM
My fiancee is serving his time at Formby. It's OK. The guards are nice to me and if I have any questions they're willing to answer them for me. If you visit him you should get a contact visit. Take a lot of change so you can buy him food and drinks from the vending machine. My fiancee hasn't had any problems with the guards or other inmates.

his_bigsister
11-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Thank you so much for replying. And thanks for letting me know to bring lots of change I plan on visiting him soon.

mommatifferz
08-02-2006, 07:44 PM
my hubbys in formby unit still and i am lookin for someone that has aloved one in there...anyone?? please let me know thanks..Tifferz:o

vcross
08-28-2006, 02:53 AM
The Formby unit in Plainview, Tx is a fairly new unit and the visitation area is better than some of the ones that I have seen. The inmates are not as bored and are allowed to work outside in the vegetable gardens, at the Plainview Country Club and various other places in Plainview. The facility is located on the east side of Plainview, just directly south of the Wheeler uniton Hwy. 70. The inmates feel being transfered to Wheeler is a step-up. However, I felt a lot more comfortable visiting at the Formby Unit. All visitation at Formby is contact, which is not true at Wheeler. Any questions, please feel free to ask. I have been visiting at both units every Saturday or Sunday for almost a year now. Thanks'N'Regards, vcross

crossd73
09-16-2006, 09:29 AM
My 14 Month Old Will Finally Meet His Daddy. I Always Say Now Faith,Family,Friends.

JoshBabyGirl
10-10-2006, 07:21 AM
The Formby unit in Plainview, Tx is a fairly new unit and the visitation area is better than some of the ones that I have seen. The inmates are not as bored and are allowed to work outside in the vegetable gardens, at the Plainview Country Club and various other places in Plainview. The facility is located on the east side of Plainview, just directly south of the Wheeler uniton Hwy. 70. The inmates feel being transfered to Wheeler is a step-up. However, I felt a lot more comfortable visiting at the Formby Unit. All visitation at Formby is contact, which is not true at Wheeler. Any questions, please feel free to ask. I have been visiting at both units every Saturday or Sunday for almost a year now. Thanks'N'Regards, vcross
I was told all visits at Wheeler were contact visits. I was going to go try to see my man and take our new baby for him to meet but its over 500 miles from home and if not contact, not sure I want to make the trip with a newborn. Any info is appreciated
Thanks!

mommatifferz
10-17-2006, 03:01 PM
I go every chance i get to visit my hubby at formby and not all visits are contact. you have to be married or a mother to their children to get contact thats if they let you or approve you. Or unless your family then you get contact. other than that you have to get approved. its a tuff deal to get approved if you dont have any relationship. I wish ya luck cuz i only get contact cuz we have two kids together..Tifferz:D

crossd73
02-20-2007, 12:09 PM
:idea: I think about him everyday.I take things one day at a time.I want to go visit every weekend but that is not possible. The visits we have had are special. He is still in Plainview,TX., that is about 5 hours. I just care for that man. I have his now 19mth old boy. I never thought I would be in this type of siuation. I have learned alot. I know how I feel. God has a plan. I wish I could work my computer more,Ha-Ha.... I get stuck alot. I would reply more, really.Till next time. Rebecca and Dylan, I want to post photos,help...

Unseen Angel
03-16-2007, 01:37 PM
I have a loved one at Formby We are planning on getting married when he gets out. If we are engaged do we get contact visits or no?

Unseen Angel
03-16-2007, 01:38 PM
I have a loved on in Formby Unit. We are planning on getting married when he gets out. I love him so much. If we are engaged do we get contact visits or no?:o

ExTexmate
03-16-2007, 02:33 PM
No. You must be actually married for contact visits, unless you are at Dawson.

KARY22
03-16-2007, 08:42 PM
do you need to take proof of marriage to a jail facility??? how do they know you are married or can you just say you all are married even though you all are not? please let me know!

BabyBo$$
10-01-2008, 05:35 PM
my hubbys in formby unit still and i am lookin for someone that has aloved one in there...anyone?? please let me know thanks..Tifferz:o;) My fiancee is doing his time in formby unit also he has been there for about one month, i just got out of the county two days ago. i am all the way in houstone, and i miss him like crazy it is so different out here without him. some how when we were both locked down i still felt closer, now im free and i feel lonley i am praying i will be able to make it to the west asap to visit him i know we both need it

june13
10-15-2008, 11:08 AM
hi I live here in plainview my brother is in gatesville i am here for all of you if you need a friend

carol123
12-09-2008, 08:39 PM
My son was just transferred to Formby recently. I dont know a lot about the jail/prison system and could use some visitation info and if he will be able to call at all.

tkn2dalimit
12-10-2008, 10:22 AM
At Formby the visit is pretty laid back. I have actually been trying to get out to Plainview for awhile now. My husband started out at Formby and is now in Wheeler. Anywhoo...Visit is from 8-5, you have to be on his list (you can call the unit and find out if you are or not at 806-296-2448), take plenty of change for snacks or sodas, and sometimes they do pictures for $3.00.
Hope that helps. :)

carol123
12-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Are the inmates allowed phone calls at all?

tkn2dalimit
12-16-2008, 12:33 PM
I think the get one 15 minute call every 90 days. But they can only use if if someone is available to monitor it for them. Most don't even bother with it. Luckily the phones are supposed to be getting here soon. I just hope mine will get home before then. :p

sidney2u
01-05-2009, 01:21 AM
Just wondering how visitation works if you have a common law marriage...will I be able to have a contact visit? (He's at Formby) I don't know if I need to bring proof or what!?! It's almost 700 miles away so I don't want to get there and find out I forgot some little thing! Thanks for the help : )

sidney2u
01-05-2009, 01:32 AM
I meant to say it's almost 7 hours away- not 700 miles!

tkn2dalimit
01-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Hey Sidney... If he has listed you as his wife/common law wife then you will be able to have contact visits. Since you are here in Dallas you can have one special visit a month. I usually call by Wednesday and let them know. That gives you a 4 hour visit Saturday and Sunday. Plus you can visit any weekend for 2 hours for one day if you don't do the special. All you need is your Drivers License, and a bunch of quarters :p for the vending machines. They used to do pictures but they haven't in awhile now. They will search your car going in and out, and they will make you take off your shoes and do a pat search going in. My husband was in Formby but now he is in Wheeler next door, I have to say the COs in both places are really nice. You can call anytime during the day and ask if you are on his list already and if you tell them you are his wife you might ask if there is anything you need to take other than you DL. We were common law when he got there and I didn't have to take anything, but you just never know. :o
I hope that helps...:) FYI...it's more like a 5 to 5 1/2 hour drive, and it's 700 miles round trip. I think that's what you meant, but just in case. I make about 5 1/2 and I stop about 2 times for a stretch and gas.

sidney2u
01-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Thank you so much! That really helps me out!! Now all I need is to get a ride out there (my car just got hit so it's in the shop for awhile).

tkn2dalimit
01-06-2009, 02:20 PM
We just had a special visit this past weekend. I am trying to get out there again on the 24th or the 25th I am not sure just yet. Ususally I have to rent a car, and sometimes I carpool with others and we just split the expenses. Let me know if you are interested...right now it is just me and another lady. I do have one other girl who said she was interested in going too, but hasn't really said much since. The drive is long and costly, so any help is always appreciated.

sidney2u
01-06-2009, 11:14 PM
I am very interested in going! I could help out with gas costs....or if I get my back- I'm more than happy to drive! Would it all be done in one day or do you stay the night??

tkn2dalimit
01-07-2009, 08:32 AM
When it's a 2 hr visit I usually just go and come. There is no reason to spend another $80-$100 bucks on a room. I would leave around 2 or 3 in the morning to get there as early as possible that way we get back before it's too late. I will let you know what's up. But I really would like to go either the 24th or the 25th. I will keep you posted.

sidney2u
01-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Sounds good to me! Just keep me posted : ) thank you!!!

abrister
01-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Since you live in dallas you can get special visitation two 4 hr visit. 4 hrs sat and 4 hrs sun. you just have to call and set up a special visit.

vgangelen
02-15-2009, 11:04 PM
This comment was so very helpful to me!! I've not been yet to visit at Formby, and I've been trolling for exactly what you had written here. I'm worried about the common law title myself. I don't have any proof of it, but it would be SO nice to give my loved one a hug! It would suck to drive up there and find out I have to talk through the glass until I can convince the warden to let me have a contact. Anyway, thank you for helping the other person..and unknowingly me too! Y'all be careful.

watchtower
03-28-2009, 12:50 AM
my hubbys in formby unit still and i am lookin for someone that has aloved one in there...anyone?? please let me know thanks..Tifferz:o

my daughters father is there how can i contact.

tkn2dalimit
03-31-2009, 11:04 AM
The number to Formby is 806-296-2448. My husband was there for about a year, and he is now at Wheeler which just in front of it. Really I would say they are the same, but for TDC they are different units. One houses mostly trustees (Wheeler) the other doesn't so much. It's really pretty laid back at both these units and the COs are really nice and helpful. Any other info I can lend... feel free to ask... I will be more than happy to help with what I can.

Ashlaya
09-24-2009, 11:16 PM
The number to Formby is 806-296-2448. My husband was there for about a year, and he is now at Wheeler which just in front of it. Really I would say they are the same, but for TDC they are different units. One houses mostly trustees (Wheeler) the other doesn't so much. It's really pretty laid back at both these units and the COs are really nice and helpful. Any other info I can lend... feel free to ask... I will be more than happy to help with what I can.

Hey my husband just got move there so do i get visit both weekends it there a limit how many visiter per immate??

TxCowgirl
09-26-2009, 07:20 PM
My Husband is at wheeler also.He says it is really laid back.I sure hope so.His parole date was the 16th but they havent called him yet.I am praying for a yes.I havent gone to see him it is far from Dallas.But From what I have heard wheeler is okay but not sure about formby.:rolleyes:

serenity08
11-06-2009, 10:54 AM
My boyfriend just got moved to Formby and I havent been able to visit him becuase hes not past the 90 days. We share a 5 yr old daughter, and he put me down as common law wife, but of course its not legal and my last name is different than his so will I still be able to get a contact visit.

Maylee Princesa
11-09-2009, 04:27 PM
U kno actually u will be able to have a contact visit! I just got back from visiting my boyfriend, and he too had me as his common law wife, so at first we thought that maybe there was a possibility to get contact visits. But I called last week to to be sure bout all dat and i spoke to ms Tally the warden secretary... u kno u can call if ur driving more than 300 miles to visit, so ya'll can be able to have a 4hr visit each day instead of just 2... So I called to ask and the lady askd me if we had a kid together I told her no we didnt, so she said it wuznt going to be contact. So as long as ya'll have a kid together and he has u as his common law wife than u will be able to get a contact visit. So just call up there to be sure.

missubabe
12-07-2009, 08:43 PM
When I went to visit at Formby, everyone was very nice and it was a very pleasant experience. They were nice on the phone and in person and are willing to answer questions you have. To me, it seems like a nice laid back facility.

brandon m mom
06-10-2010, 05:51 PM
my son is there and has been for a wk now. I haven't heard from him. I'm going crazy. I live in Louisiana so i'm about 800miles from him. this is very hard for me. From what I have read it seems to be an ok place. How long do they have to be there before they can start sending letters?

shon67
06-10-2010, 07:51 PM
my son is there and has been for a wk now. I haven't heard from him. I'm going crazy. I live in Louisiana so i'm about 800miles from him. this is very hard for me. From what I have read it seems to be an ok place. How long do they have to be there before they can start sending letters?
as long as you have their information u can write now and even visit...

brandon m mom
06-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Can anyone tell me how safe it is in Formby.?Do you know if they are a lot of fights to breakout between the inmates?

brandon m mom
06-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Hey my husband just got move there so do i get visit both weekends it there a limit how many visiter per immate??

Two adults at a time and no swapping one adult so someone else can come in. Not sure how many minor children can be there, but they dont take the place of an adult.

brandon m mom
06-12-2010, 05:30 PM

My son is in there. He has only been there 2wks and I haven't heard from him and I feel like I'm going crazy. so empty inside. formby is 800 miles from me so its not easy for me to just go see him every wk end.

brandon m mom
06-13-2010, 09:24 PM
ok my son wrote a letter to his girlfriend. he said the guards yelled at him just because he sit by himself in the lunch room. uncalled for. he has depression and they want give him meds that i know off. have him on suicide watch i think. he is in a cell by himself and we had him on suicide watch before he was moved. I'm not so sure if the guard are as nice to the inmates as they are to use. They just but on a big front.

brandon m mom
06-15-2010, 05:05 PM
I was just hoping to get some information about Formby. My brother was just moved there and will be there for about 10 months. I would really appreciate anything you all could tell me. :)

Thanks,
his_bigsister

My son was just moved there about a wk or so ago. Visiting is on sat and sunday 8-4 maybe 5 not sure on that. They just moved him out of the intake cell and into the dorm. He said no airconditions and the guards are tough. The ppl i talk to on the phone all have been very helpful. 806-296-2448 is the number there, they will tell you pretty much what you need to know, but want tell you how he is doing. hope this helps

bonitaroxy
07-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Hello everyone my name is Roxy and i have my sweet guy in the Wheeler Unit. I noticed that there was not a thread on Wheeler Unit but i know that Formby and Wheeler work hand in hand? Is that right?

shon67
07-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Wheeler unit is in front of formby unit...it's a laid back prison and has visiting on sat and sun 8 to 5 pm..if you live over 300 miles away you can call to the wardens office and request a special 4 hour visit for sat and sun.......hopes this helps...

jobezee1
07-17-2010, 02:30 PM
I just came home from this unit (Formby) a few weeks ago. I can tell it used to just house state jail offenders ( now houses both state jail and ID) because it was basically just a warehouse. It's small (about 1000) and Wheeler across the street is even smaller. It was pretty laid back as far as the general conditions. Of course, there are some a** hole COs but this is prison and one can expect that at any unit. This was my second journey through TDC. I went to a regular ID unit the first go around that was MUCH rougher. This unit was a cakewalk compared to that.

JAM1
07-29-2010, 12:09 AM
Do you have to fill out a form and get approved before you go out there and visit? My husband has been in Formby for a week and a couple of days now and I have been thinking about the trip out

shon67
07-31-2010, 05:51 PM
Your hubby has to put your name on his visitors list and when u go they will ask u for your id...if he was in another unit then u should be able to visit with no problems..otherwise i think u may have to wait 30 days but u can always call up there to see if u are on his visitors for...they are really quick about that good luck i just left from visiting.......

MONICA WALLACE
08-28-2010, 12:47 PM
i was just hoping to get some information about formby. My brother was just moved there and will be there for about 10 months. I would really appreciate anything you all could tell me. :)

thanks,
his_bigsister
how can i find out if my son is there? I don't know how?

MONICA WALLACE
08-30-2010, 06:33 PM
How long do you have to wait before you get to visit. Do you get to call them or they call you

nanaoftwo
09-02-2010, 08:37 AM
My son is in Formby he was in Wheeler. We like Wheeler better because it's all contact visit and at Formby you get 3 contact and one window visit a month. And if your not family member then it's all window visit. My son says he likes it there better because it's kinda laid back has no problems with any one there. He's been hearing that something is going to happening there on Sept. 1 which was yesterday and I was wondering if any one has heard that too.

MONICA WALLACE
09-10-2010, 08:08 PM
My son is in formby so how long do you have to wait to see them? How long do they have to wait to write? How many people can go in and see him at once? How long has your son been there? I haven't got to see my son since aug the 25 and then they moved him and i haven't got to see him or talk to him and i haven't even got a letter yet. Well if you know any of these answers please write back thank you quinnon's mom!!!

shon67
09-11-2010, 09:40 AM
if u are on your sons visiting list there is no wait call up there give them his tdjc number and see if your on his list if you live more than 300 miles away you can get a special 4hr visit...so call, and if your son doesnt have a list then hurry up and write him so he can get his together and put you on it asap....

iluvcayleb
10-23-2010, 03:26 AM
if u are on your sons visiting list there is no wait call up there give them his tdjc number and see if your on his list if you live more than 300 miles away you can get a special 4hr visit...so call, and if your son doesnt have a list then hurry up and write him so he can get his together and put you on it asap....

i have a question my boyfriend was recently transfered to formby ive heard from him already and in november he will be able to get contact visits so i am planning on taking a trip down there we just recently had a son born on aug 16 however my boyfriend was not able to sign the birth certificate since he was away my son is now 2 months old and i would like to take him with me would he need to be on the birth certificate will they ask for it?

shon67
10-27-2010, 08:07 PM
they dont ask for any birth cert. so enjoy your visit they take pictures every weekend and the cost is $3.00 so bring enough so u can have one to leave and take home..

iluvcayleb
10-28-2010, 01:32 AM
they dont ask for any birth cert. so enjoy your visit they take pictures every weekend and the cost is $3.00 so bring enough so u can have one to leave and take home..

thank you so much for the info :)

lowridergirl505
04-20-2011, 02:31 AM
I need help please my fiancÚ is in formby and he won't get out till Sep9 will he get out sooner even though the judge said 9 months??