View Full Version : County Jails in NY? Post Info & Q's

southerngirl
04-17-2005, 06:11 PM
My friend is trying to call me from the Nassau County Correctional Center NY. Can anyone tell me what I need to do so I can receive phone calls from him?

davesgirl4eva
04-17-2005, 06:13 PM
You have to make sure you can accept collect calls on your line and then once your number is approved from his counselor he should be able to get through. MCI will put a block on your line until payment history is verified thru your local phone company.

Hope this helps.

My friend is trying to call me from the Nassau County Correctional Center NY. Can anyone tell me what I need to do so I can receive phone calls from him?

southerngirl
04-17-2005, 06:23 PM
But is there any way I can get him my home number all he has is my cell number. He called my cell and left a message saying he needed the number. I dont know how to contact him.

Manzanita
04-17-2005, 07:05 PM
I am not sure MCI works for County Jails...I have been trying to figure this out myself, I hope someone here can add more info for you.

Try calling the jail and ask them ...I cannot seem to find the number.

Nassau County Jail
100 Carmen Avenue
East Meadow, NY 11554

nicksgirl
04-17-2005, 07:15 PM
When my bf was in Nassau County the service was Correctional Billing Services. From what I remember, you can use both land and cell phones. I'll see if I can find the number for the jail as well as CBS for you.

niqueke
04-17-2005, 09:13 PM

niqueke
04-17-2005, 09:26 PM
When my man was in NCF it was not Mci It was Att the calls were ten minutes long and they were $5.80 each call. If you want to get in touch with him you need to write him and include your telephone number if you call the jail they will give you his number and address the way they want it on his mail. Visits at NCF are tricky he gets 3 one hour visits for the week between the hours of 12-3 and 4-7 the line usually starts one hour prior and it get long
They wont allow your cell phone as a phone number he can call so write soon
good luck

southerngirl
04-17-2005, 09:50 PM
Do you have any idea what time they can use the phone so I could know about what time he might call?

southerngirl
04-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Thanks to all of you for your help I really appreciate it!!!! This is all really confusing it's nice to know there are people like you willing to help. Thanks Alot

niqueke
04-18-2005, 03:55 AM
The phones open at 10am and are turned off at 10:30pm

Manzanita
04-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Correctional Billing Services

what is this Number?

What is the number for Nassau County Jail? anyone know?

laflor
04-18-2005, 05:40 PM
The Boost phone works here and also you can buy those $5.00 calling cards give him the number from the back of the card and he can use it. Trust me they have a way of calling with these calling cards, my friends husband just came out of there a few weeks ago and this is how he called her, these facilities use another phone company not MCI.

Jomali
04-18-2005, 05:57 PM
I can help with this one CBS is 18008446591. you can use land or cell phone. NCCC 5165724200.

Manzanita
04-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Jomali, so cool!

You are all very helpful....so glad to see this :)

southerngirl
04-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Do you know if they can use phone cards or just call collect. Can they call cell phones or just land lines? He called my cell but when I answer its just a recording saying thst someone was trying to contact me from the NCF and it was a message from him. Just scared he thinks I dont want to talk to him.

Jomali
04-18-2005, 09:53 PM
I tried to send Angel a calling card while he was in Nassau because I thought it would be cheaper for us to talk. He never recieved the card. They took it out of his letter. So don't do that. I am in South Carolina I had him call my Cell Phone for 10 minutes it was almost 15.00 a phone call. 13.75 on a land phone. I noticed Southern Girl thinking maybe you are in the South? It was an easy set up as long as the phone is in your name. Good luck to you.

southerngirl
04-19-2005, 02:35 PM
The last time he tried to call me on my cell I answered and it was a recording I couldnt talk to him. Maybe he will be able to call my house. I live in Tennessee the CBS sent me a email saying the calls would be 4.95 + .89 per min. I guess its so high because I live so far away. Is Angel still in Nassau? Thank you for all your help I appreciate it. Amy

Jomali
04-19-2005, 05:57 PM
No they moved him downstate exactly 3 weeks ago. I wish they would hurry up and move him again so I can go visit him. I would go downstate for visit but I am scared I will waist all that money flying up there and he want be there any longer. How long has your man been at nassau? I actually didn't have to do anything to my Land line to get it set up for calls. He called me 3 times a day for a month I racked a phone bill of 400.00 I did not realize how expensive the calls were going to be. When he was here in Greenville County the calls were 1.75 for 10minutes so I thought well maybe the calls will be like 5.00, I was wrong. Lesson Much learned. Now we talk once or twice a week. As much as I love to here his spanish lingo I found writing letter is the cheapest way to go. So hopefully he will be able to call your home soon.

southerngirl
04-20-2005, 04:54 PM
He has been at Nassau for about a month. I don't know how long he is going to be there or if their going to move him. I really don't know anything because I haven't talked to him. I sent a letter on Friday, I hope he got it. Maybe he can write back soon. We live almost the same distance from NY how long does it usually take to get the letters? Thanks again its nice to have someone to talk to... I hope you can go and visit Angel soon!!

Tammy1
05-10-2005, 10:55 AM
I am curious if anyone's loved one started out being incarcerated in the Albany County Jail in Albany, NY?? If so, please contact me as soon as you can. My hubby is starting out there.

LeaAnn
05-10-2005, 08:16 PM
My pen pal started out in Albany County Jail. What do you need to know?

ulster05
05-23-2005, 10:19 AM
IS there anyone who is involved in the county jails instead of the prisons? I am also curious if anyone is involved in probation in Ulster County? I am new to this forum and I am just trying to see where to egin.

Thanks

haswtch
05-23-2005, 11:12 AM
What might you want to know? I have a (a-hem) passing familiarity with Golden Hill and some of the cast of characters surrounding. Good to see ya, welcome to PTO!
BTW, gotta love that spiffy NEW jail, eh?

Momma Ann
05-23-2005, 01:05 PM
What might you want to know? I have a (a-hem) passing familiarity with Golden Hill and some of the cast of characters surrounding. Good to see ya, welcome to PTO!

Tammy1
05-23-2005, 05:34 PM
My husband is in the Albany County Jail in Albany, NY.

Tammy1
05-26-2005, 09:06 PM
Hi,

I know that most of your loved ones are in NYS Prisons. My husband is currently in a county jail. I was able to visit him today for the first time, but we were separated by a huge glass as he is not classified yet and is not in the general population yet. What does that mean??

Eventually we will be able to have "contact" visits at a table facing each other. What exactly are we allowed to do? I was told we cannot touch. My kids cannot touch their father at all. So why do they call them contact visits then?

He is in Albany County Jail. If anyone has dealt with this county jail in NY, please e mail me and tell me anything you know about how visits work, how property can be left...

Thanks

PhillyGurLL
05-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Welcome to PTO! Sorry I do not know anything about that jail! If he is not in general population yet, that means he is still getting booked....I don't know exactly what they do, but I guess it's paperwork and fingerprints and all that stuff.....It took my husband 3 weeks to get into general population, and where he was at, he couldn't have any visits until he was in general population, so you are lucky! Even if it's behind a glass, at least you get to see him! Good LUck! Like I said, i don't know anything about that jail...but when My husband was in county in Philadelphia, all we could do was kiss at the beginning with a hug and kiss at the end with a hug......When he went to Riker's, we were able to kiss more :) ...I am so glad he is in State now! We can do all kinds of things now!

ulster05
05-31-2005, 02:31 PM
Yeh From what i heard they are trying to make it more like a state facility. Actually, I was curious as to how conditional releases work? My guy has 2 more months, but they gave him a form for a conditional and its been over the 60 day mark and he hasn't heard. I know he has NEVER been in any trouble and there is NO reason I know that they wouldn't give it to him. He was saying he heard that it involves house arrest and stuff? I honestly haven't a clue, so any info you may have would be great.
Thanks

ulster05
05-31-2005, 02:36 PM
I am not familiar with albany county, but I can tell you about Ulster county and I am sure there are some similarities. We get 2 one hour visits a week and we sit at a bench which is seperated up to about chest level by a divider. You can hug and kiss hello, but that's it. I have seen inmates holding there babies and stuff, so I guess thats allowed too. I know there that we can't send them anything but money orders which have to go through the mail. General pop is when they put him with other inmates and he gets the same priveldges. I am unsure of the setup like I said, but I know at Ulster County they have tiers they are seperated on and then mods, which is one giant modular home. All of which I am assuming is general pop but the mods.
I hope some of this helps you out.
:)

Hi,

I know that most of your loved ones are in NYS Prisons. My husband is currently in a county jail. I was able to visit him today for the first time, but we were separated by a huge glass as he is not classified yet and is not in the general population yet. What does that mean??

Eventually we will be able to have "contact" visits at a table facing each other. What exactly are we allowed to do? I was told we cannot touch. My kids cannot touch their father at all. So why do they call them contact visits then?

He is in Albany County Jail. If anyone has dealt with this county jail in NY, please e mail me and tell me anything you know about how visits work, how property can be left...

Thanks

oceana
07-18-2005, 06:01 PM
My husband will be back at Nassau County Jail in a few days. What are the mailroom rules for adult personal photos/magazines? I wanted to send some risque pictures.
Oceana

RoRiveter17
08-05-2005, 01:59 PM
My boyfriend is in Nasau County Jail and I am trying to see if anyone has a loved one there. I've visited in the past. I'm just trying to find someone that can share info with.

Thanks,
Stay Strong

Sugarbearslady
08-05-2005, 05:44 PM
I Haven't Been At The County Jail Since 90, And I Know That Things Are Definetly Different Since They Expanded The Place... Not A Nice Place To Be... I Can Tell You That..

Manzanita
08-10-2005, 05:55 PM
you will find some info here, this is for Country Jails Welcome :)

RoRiveter17
08-11-2005, 07:40 PM
Hey Everybody!

My boyfriend has been in Nassau County for over 8 months. Within the next few weeks he will be moving somewhere for at least 7-14 months. I live outside Philadelphia and drive to see him as much as possible. With him moving soon he and I both scared. They are talking about him moving to Downstate but now after looking at some of the other posts I am even worried. I see the love and support on the PTO site especially the New York sisterhood, you all have. I need to pop on here just to feel okay for another day. That there are others out there facing what I'm facing. I would love to get to know you all!

Karen :)

haswtch
08-11-2005, 09:03 PM
You will find that any prison is better than county jail. And you will find out that it is bad, but not quite as scary as we are all led to believe. Welcome to PTO, hang in there, the first part is in some ways the worst part.

rottn
08-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Wecome to PTO.

nimuay
08-11-2005, 11:09 PM
Ro - He may well go to Downstate, but it's unlikely he'll stay there. Downstate is generally just until they have a bed for them in the place the DOC thinks they should go. It's a dreary place, with an ever-shifting population, but as Has said, it's better than jail, and will only be his residence for a couple of weeks. From there, they can ship him anywhere in the state, depending on his crime, sentence and any programs the DOC thinks he needs.

Good Luck.

seansgram
08-12-2005, 01:13 AM
Welcome to PTO

rywill
08-12-2005, 06:57 AM
Welcome Ro~. I am glad you found us, and hope that you can get as much help and support as you need.

chinikfb
08-12-2005, 07:05 AM
Peace.....Welcome to PTO...as stated by Haswth...Downstate is a reception commu ity and where he'll stay until a space secured. I am in Philly and my friend is in NY. You are absolutely correct in your assessment of the NY crew...join us. We have made plans for several g2gs...perhaps you can join us....and one of the crew members, rywill, is spearheading a book club. We are BADDDD women..not to mentioned that we have an awesome leader, MrsG. Again, welcome! Blessings...

Ken'sWife
08-12-2005, 08:24 AM
Hello and welcome to PTO!

Manzanita
08-12-2005, 07:32 PM
HI, Welcome to PTO :)

BTru2Me
08-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Hey Ro!welcome!I'm biased of course,but I'd say we here in NY are the "BEST"!!!But PTO in general is a wonderful place to find support,understanding & knowledge!Keep your chin up!!Stay strong for you & for him!All will be ok!Take Care,B

mlynnm
08-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Welcome to PTO! :wave:

Wife C
08-17-2005, 08:54 AM
Welcome to PTO.:)

RoRiveter17
08-22-2005, 12:35 AM
I am sooooooo embarrassed. I just figured out how to look at my old posts just for fun and to say a kind of then and now (Even thought I've only been a member for like 2 weeks). I had no idea that anyone responded and feel like a big jerk for not knowing about all of your warm welcomes! So sorry but am just learning the ins and the outs of PTO. Thank you so much. PTO and your support has meant a great deal to me. Thanks for reminding me I'm not lost in the shuffle. :D :D :D

Manzanita
08-22-2005, 05:29 PM
don't sweat it, it takes time getting used to how things work around here, happy to see you posting again :)

JRBM
11-28-2005, 04:24 PM
Hello all. My husband was in NCCF for 2 years and now is in Otisville. The phones have changed since we were there. They are still expensive though! Be carefull of the sargent ( id give her name but im not sure if i am allowed) in the visiting room she is wicked!!! There are a couple more people you ned to be aware of as well i had a case against them as well.... PM me if you need any info...

LuvenMyBabyBoy
12-11-2005, 06:44 PM
My Baby Boy Is At The County Jail. The Thing Is That I Was Thinking About Sending Some Pictures. I Was Wondering What Kind Of Pictures Should I Send. I Dont Want Them To Be Too Ordinary But I Dont Know How Risky I Can Go. Any Ideas?

Manzanita
12-11-2005, 07:53 PM
I moved this one here, good luck :)

OfficerFriendly
12-13-2005, 10:52 PM
NO nudity -- zip, zero, nada!

CO

artie313
12-22-2005, 10:22 PM
My son calls me from county. I use correctional billing, its pretty good you might want to give them a call... 1-800-844-6591

OfficerFriendly
12-23-2005, 07:03 AM
NY State inmates are only allowed to use collect calls through MCI.

The CO

lonely7phoenix
12-25-2005, 11:32 AM
It always feels so weird talking on here, knowing that people are going through what I am. I appreciate everyone putting up with my "slow" questions. um, I want to go visit my boyfriend. What do I do? I have absolutely no idea what to do. I know what the visiting hours are and I know where the building is, but is there anything else I need to know? If someone could just run things past me it would help alot, if only to help my nerves. Hes in a county jail in new york if thats helpful. Thanks again, michelle.

Manzanita
12-25-2005, 11:35 AM
NY State inmates are only allowed to use collect calls through MCI.

The CO

For County Jails the calls are not from MCI. Correctional Billing is used for County Jails
1-800-844-6591

outlawsdeb
12-25-2005, 02:55 PM
I was in Franklin County and it was OK as far as jails go. The CO's were Ok but then again you had a few that were trying to show that they are the "Man"...the jerks. The food was OK but monotonous......I left the dorm only when I had to because the guys there all had to show their "helicopters" as you walked down the hall....ewwwww
so in 4 months I think I left 4 times.......that was enough!!! The calls home were kind of expensive, nothing compared to MCI.

dougswife
12-25-2005, 03:17 PM
this is service through evercom

For County Jails the calls are not from MCI. Correctional Billing is used for County Jails
1-800-844-6591