View Full Version : Billy Moore Prison Unit-Overton, Texas

sierrasunsettx
12-12-2005, 08:55 PM
My daughters father is currently at this unit. I would like some more info about it. Guards attitudes, size, easy to get to, if you know someone there? Ive heard good things so far from him but would like some other opinions. :)

Nail Pounder
12-14-2005, 04:49 PM
I was at the Billy Moore Unit in Overton for 18 months from Nov. 2000- June 2002. I think it's about 25 miles southeast of Tyler on the Smith-Rusk County line. It's a privately-operated pre-release facility. I think MTC (MAnagement Training Corp.) still operates it. About 500 prisoners. The food portions were the smallest of any unit I had been on in TDCJ (imagine a small TV dinner and you get the picture). I thought the guards for the most part ranged from incompetent morons to hardass wannabes. There's not really much of anything to do there except watch TV and go out for rec. When I was there they were always having problems with the water system. One time it was off for two days. Very noisy dayrooms, even by TDCJ standards. Lots of illegal aliens who are waiting for deportation after completing their sentences.
On the plus side, the entire unit has central A/C and by the time you get there you're on the downside of your sentence close to going home. Some prisoners like it there, I really didn't.

Mama2Jasmine
12-17-2005, 10:23 PM
I have a friend (girl) that used to work out there, she said it is a pretty good place, she said you get your good and bad out there, just like anywhere. I live real close to it(about 10 mins away). It seems really nice. I haven't ever heard of any problems from there.

Nail Pounder
12-20-2005, 01:09 AM
I had lots of problems with the mailroom (the MR supervisor was also the GIO) and it's just so boring there--nothing to do. Oh, and the mattresses absolutely suck, even worse than TDCJ mattresses. No, there aren't many problems there as far as the prisoners go. They're all getting close to getting out, so they behave for the most part.

SHANE'SKITTYKAT
01-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Sierra, my husband is currently at that B. Moore unit. He has been there since April 05 and comes home 3/06 :) Sorry had to add that in there..lol.. He actually said that was the best place he has been out of the 4 units he has been at. This was the 1st unit that he has a cell instead of being in a gym so at least he only has to share a toilet with one person instead of 60 or more and has a little privacy... That unit is ran by CCA (Correction corporation of America) I have not had any bad experiances with any of the CO's being rude to me on visitation ( I go every weekend). My husband said that there are good CO's and and bad ones there just like at all the other units.. He is in the church band there and goes to Rec everychance he gets..That and watching TV is really the only thing to do unless he gets in a class, my husband took a electric class there to make time pass. Nailpounder is right the big upside my husband said was the A/C during the summer but he did say that it was the coldest unit he has been on in the winter. He bought some thermals for the first time so it must get cold there because he is really hot natured... It is a small unit... 500 men and it is really easy to find... looks like your in Austin but from Dallas you just go 20 east past Tyler... Exit # 582 OVERTON and turn right then make a left on the second rd (there will be a sign saying overton > and it is not even 1/4 a mile once you make the right) You stay on that road for about 8-9 miles and the unit is on the left hand side of the road. Good luck... Oh and if the day rooms are as loud as the visitation room gets then Nail pounder is right about them being loud.. My husband said that they have head phones to listen to the TV so that might cut back on some of the noise (not sure if they had them when Nailpounder was there... Kat

TxMom3
02-06-2006, 10:33 PM
My son has been at BMCC for about 5 months. It is no longer a pre-release facility. It is one of a VERY few air conditioned units. They are in 2 man cells that my son says are fairly big and have real toliets (not stainless steel). Each cell has a door that they are allowed to close for "bathroom privacy" He says the food stinks so he buys alot from commissary. It is minimum security. If you have been to Tennesse Colony, the procedure for visiting is SO much different. When you park, there is no one that searches your car, etc. You walk in and give the receptionist your ID and license plate number. They give you your paperwork and come out to "wand" you. You go through 2 doors to gain entrance to the visitation room. There are probably 18 tables. I have never had to wait because of too many visitors. There will be a guard sitting at a table to check you in and another guard who lets the inmate in the visiting room. You pick an empty table and wait for your loved one. It usually doesn't take long unless they are having count. I have never seen anything but contact visits. There are coke & candy machines inside. Your loved one can go to the machines with you to pick out what they want but cannot handle the money. I usually go on Sundays and there is hardly anything left in the machines. One thing that is really different at BMCC than other units is that the inmates are allowed to leave to go to the bathroom and return without the visit being terminated. You get 2 hours on either Sat or Sun and they come around to tell you you have 10 minutes left. They have always been nice to me but of course, I'm in the free world. My son says some are really nice and others are on a real power trip. But overall it is fairly easygoing. They have a nice rec yard with horseshoes (plastic, of course!) football field, track, handball, free weights, basketball, volleyball. My son gets 2 two hour recs a day. They also have satellite tv. When HBO does their free preview weekends, the guys get to watch movies. The benches in the dayroom have headphone plug-ins so they can hear the tv. The one real down side is that they don't have hardly any self improvement programs. My son took an electrical class & blueprint reading. They don't have NA/AA or other programs like the bigger units. I have never had any problems sending books, magazines or writing materials. We've never had any trouble with the mail. I visited on Christmas Day with my mother (who is elderly & in bad health) and my daughter. The CO on duty allowed my daughter and me to split the visit to one hour for each of us and my mother the entire 2 hours. I was really surprised. It does get loud in there. One phone call every couple of months if they put in a request & get approved. 5 minutes on a speakerphone. As far as prisons go, it is probably about as good as it gets. AND it really is in the middle of nowhere. LOL
Hope this helps.

ironart1
01-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Anyone still at the Billy Moore Unit. My husband was recently transferred there. I want to know more about visitation. I am traveling from San Antonio, so my travel is more than 300 miles, so I will get 4 hours on Saturday...and maybe 4 hours on Sunday if the Warden approves. They will not search my car? All I need is my ID and license plate number? Cool. I do not have to wait to have a contact visit?

Just answer--please, anyone.

:confused:

TxMom3
02-07-2007, 09:49 AM
My son has been gone from BMCC for about 4 months now. The last visit I had with him there was the same as always. When you turn onto the road the unit property, there is no guard station. There is a guard that drives around the property in a little white truck. There is also a small covered gazebo you can sit at if for some reason you have others with you who cannot go in. Visitation is the same as other units in that you cannot bring in paper money (only your $20 in change in a ziploc). I would suggest bringing other coins (dime/nickels) in addition to quarters as the machines always seem to run out of change. If you are getting a 2 day visit, you should be able to bring in $20 each day. After parking, go into the building and there will be a guard behind glass on the left and chairs across from guard to sit if you need to. Behind the chairs is the visiting room and the wall behind the chairs is made up of large windows. You can see everyone in the visiting room. The bathrooms are straight down at the end of the hall. Just give the guard your drivers license and tell them your license plate number. They'll ask who you are there to see and their TDCJ #. After getting your paperwork, the guard will come out from behind the glass and "wand" you & ask the basic questions: Do you have any paper money, etc on you? I have never seen anything but contact visits. I suppose there may be someplace for non-contact visits but I have never seen that. They are fairly strict on the dress code. Several times I saw them send people out for wearing sleeveless shirts or dresses/skirts too short. I never took a chance. I always wore jeans/slacks and either a sweatshirt/t-shirt (no graphics) or a nice button down shirt (no see-thru). I never had a problem. At Christmas & Valentines, alot of the imates had items to give their loved ones (drawings mostly). The guards had the items at the check-in desk and we were allowed to take them when we left rather than the inmate mailing them home. If you are getting a 2 day visit, you will need somewhere to stay overnight. I am not aware of any Hospitality Houses around there. It is really in the middle of nowhere. You will most likely have to get a hotel room in Tyler as I think that is closer to the unit than Longview. Hope this helps.

cora lee
06-16-2010, 03:40 PM
:confused:My daughters father is currently at this unit. I would like some more info about it. Guards attitudes, size, easy to get to, if you know someone there? Ive heard good things so far from him but would like some other opinions. :)

if you find any info about billy moore unit i would like 2 hear it.my grandson just got moved there. he says it is the best unit he has been in. i have heard it is in the middle of no where. i am going to go see him in july. i called today to get my visit approved for 4 hrs. since i live out of state.

cora lee
06-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Anyone still at the Billy Moore Unit. My husband was recently transferred there. I want to know more about visitation. I am traveling from San Antonio, so my travel is more than 300 miles, so I will get 4 hours on Saturday...and maybe 4 hours on Sunday if the Warden approves. They will not search my car? All I need is my ID and license plate number? Cool. I do not have to wait to have a contact visit?

Just answer--please, anyone.

:confused:
hello my grandson just got moved to billy moore unit.i called today to set up my 4 hour pass for july. she told me to call back the monday before i come down there to see if it was approved. i live like 500 miles from there. will have to use my gps to find it. when he was at bradshaw i always got lost. i dont know if they have any motels around there. they say its in the middle of no where.

cassandra07
10-28-2010, 10:50 AM
do they have phones at this unit?? if i live 203 miles away (3hr 40min drive) do i get a long visit too? HELP

Lorraine
10-28-2010, 10:57 AM
You must live 300 miles from the unit to qualify for special visits. Sorry!