View Full Version : Fire Camp Info for CCC Susanville

malogrrl
01-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Hi I got a call from my man last night. He tells me that he will be moved to a 2 yard. I believe his counselor told him that he will be going for training. Does anyone know if Yard 2 is for inmates that are waiting to get into fire camp, that have been approve? He claims that if everything is well he should be home within 9 months:p. Once they are done with training do they get transfer out or do they continue to stay at CCC? Sorry for all of this questions but when he calls it all happens so fast that we do not have time to get into much details:rolleyes:

momuvjosh
01-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Malogrrl, The way I understand it is that they first take a physical, then they wait to get moved to Arnold yard and that is where the training takes place. After that is done they then wait for a placement into a fire camp. Im not completely certain that this is correct info so I hope someone can clear it up for both of us. My son took the physical but seems he has a blood pressure problem. As soon as he gets 3 good readings he will be moved to training area. He doesnt call me enough so I dont know if this has happened yet. He is only 21 so I cant imagine his b/p is too high. Hopefully this helped a little. Im so happy we got our own spot on pto for Susanville!! Thanks LeBeau! and PTO!
Laura

malogrrl
01-06-2006, 02:17 PM
thanks for the info. How is your son's health. How long did it take him to find out if he qualify for the program. My fiance has been there since 09/2005. I wonder how much longer does he have to wait.

PT ROSE
01-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Arnold Unit is where my son was when he did the training.
He needs a gate pass before they do anything.. He will KNOW if he passes everything, they tell them right away. I think they have to pass the written test with a 70. tell him to take notes and pay attention to the video..
After they pass EVERYTHING, then they wait for an opening at a camp. The physical part of the test is very hard.

momuvjosh
01-06-2006, 03:50 PM
My son got there in August, took the physical in November and would probably already be training except for the b/p thing. Pt Rose, was the training just a few weeks? My son heard the physical fitness test is the hardest part. Also do they stay in Arnold unit after finishing the training or do they go back to another yard while they wait for a camp opening? Josh has always been healthy and in good shape so I hope this b/p thing was just a fluke. Maybe nerves or something. There seems to be more firecamps in N. Ca than I realized. Thanks for the info.
Laura

PT ROSE
01-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Laura, Steve got to CCC January 20, 2005. he went to Fire Camp July 7, 2005..The gate pass takes a while to get, they have to get that before they start training. Yes, I think the training is a couple of weeks, after he passed all the tests it took a month to get into a Fire Camp... He did stay in Arnold Unit till they transferred him. I wish they would have sent Steve to Jamestown so he could be closer to home.. We are in Southern California. My first visit was October 22 AND 23, We are planning another visit the first weekend in June.
Steve was told he had high blood pressure too, but it was fine when he re-tested.

Louise

momuvjosh
01-06-2006, 05:29 PM
I just posted but then I lost my connection so I hope Im not posting the same info twice. LOL My son called just a little while ago! I was thinking about him a lot today and he called. He passed the physical. He got 3 good b/p readings. He now has to pass the physical fitness test and then goes to Arnold unit for training. Is the pft the gate pass? I think Im understanding it all better now. PT ROSE, I just dont understand why they send some boys so far from their families. I thought Jamestown was for S. Ca inmates. Its just not right. Well I had to share my news.
Laura

malogrrl
01-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Thanks I will let him know to take notes and to pay attention to the video. Once they are in fire camp does it mean that they will be release at an earlier date or not. Sorry for all the questions but this is the only way to find out.

PT ROSE
01-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks I will let him know to take notes and to pay attention to the video. Once they are in fire camp does it mean that they will be release at an earlier date or not. Sorry for all the questions but this is the only way to find out.

If he was sentenced at 50%, he will do 35% once he gets into a fire camp.
If he was sentenced at 85%, he will still do 85% once he gets into a fire camp.

PT ROSE
01-06-2006, 08:07 PM
I just posted but then I lost my connection so I hope Im not posting the same info twice. LOL My son called just a little while ago! I was thinking about him a lot today and he called. He passed the physical. He got 3 good b/p readings. He now has to pass the physical fitness test and then goes to Arnold unit for training. Is the pft the gate pass? I think Im understanding it all better now. PT ROSE, I just dont understand why they send some boys so far from their families. I thought Jamestown was for S. Ca inmates. Its just not right. Well I had to share my news.
Laura

Laura, the pft is physical fitness training. I'm glad he passed the physical! :D they send them to the first place where there is an opening, the DOC does not care if they are far from their families..
I will be praying for Josh to pass all the tests..:p

momuvjosh
01-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Thank you PTROSE, He started pft on Monday. He seems to think he can do it. I think he was running before the weather got too bad. Im so glad that its finally moving along now. Did you read about the chicken pox on Arnold? Thats awful for adults to go through. Thanks again for all the info. I think Im obsessed with needing to know!!
Laura

malogrrl
01-11-2006, 05:38 PM
What chicken pox? Do you know if it got around to other yards? From what I heard it is dangerous (hight risk) for adults. Also if they had it at a young age they may get it for a second time as an adult. Lets keep out prayers going for all of them.

momuvjosh
01-11-2006, 09:05 PM
malogrrl, I read about it on the thread How many Have Loved ones at CCC? I worry about secondary infections from chicken pox. Especially when you hear about staph infections and stuff. Hopefully they got it under control and are giving the guys the treatment they need.

BlessedLady35
02-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Hi momuvjosh,

Sounds like your son and my husband were in the training at the same time. My husband is supposed to be going to the camp next door to CCC tomorrow. Has your son found out where he is going?

ROXYSMAN
02-02-2006, 01:07 AM
Glad your guys are heading the right direction. I would like to throw this out there for folks in the future that may wonder how this whole fiire camp process works. I have been at Susies house three times ,so I am very familiar with it. The first step is PFT, physical training, which is an all day job. Running, sit-ups, pullups, then more running and on and on. There really is no set time for when you graduate, it all depends on your fitness level and when you can pass the final test. You have to get on a waiting list that can be very long. Then, depending on the number of graduates each week, new names are pulled from the list. The list is broken down racially so that everyone gets a fair shot. While in PFT you stay on either Cascade or Sierra yard, if and when you do graduate you will then be moved to Arnold Unit, after a gate pass is issued, which is pretty much automatic because if you weren't eligible for one they wouldn't put you through the training. Then you do two weeks of FFT, fire fighting training, one week in classroom, the other outside the walls learning to cut line, sharpen tools, hike your butt off, etc. etc. Then graduation day -woohoo!!! Then you wait in Arnold Unit for your name to come up for a camp opening. It usually doesn't take too long. Then early one morning you catch the bus to whever it is you are going and the time you have left looks alot easier to handle. Do know that these guys have worked hard to have the opportunity of some freedom, but come fire season they WILL be bustin tail and you'll be surprised when you find out proud they feel to be doing it. Most people don't even know how many inmates are out there every year, in the midst of huge wildfires, doing most of the work for 1$ an hour. Tell them you appreciate it. Best of luck to all.

momuvjosh
02-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the info Roxysman. BlessedLady35, My son passed the pft's a few weeks ago and now is waiting to transfer to Arnold for the fft. He said they usually get transferred on Thursdays and Fridays. I didnt ask him how he felt about living with one group of guys and then having to move and get to know another group. I wonder how long it takes after training to get to camp. Please let me know how the transfer went for your husband and what the transfer was like. Thanks, Laura

BlessedLady35
02-04-2006, 08:33 PM
My husband never webt to Arnold unit because they had a Chicken pox Outbreak over there. He did the FFT...Fire Fighter training from Sierra yard and then he was transferred to antelope next door. the process after the PFT happened much quicker than we thought. my husband had been waiting since July so we just thought it would continue to be long. However, because of the Chicken pox situation CCC had not been processing anyone out to the camps for a few months and they were behind...so they decided to speed up the process and handle it this way. Hopeful that will be the case with your son. I think it was like a total of 3 weeks after PFT for my husband. He went to camp this past thursday. He said it is very quiet over there only about 100 guys versus the thousands at CCC. He called me when I was asleep and I had been praying and worrying all day if he had gotten transferred or not so when he called I was a little delirious and did not have alot to say. I do remember him saying that they have a salad bar I think. he had just gotten there that day...so I am sure he has not seen everything. i think he was a little in shock also. He said he glad to be in a better enviroment but it is still goign to take some getting use to. He said he would call in a few days probaly tomorrow or monday...

momuvjosh
02-05-2006, 02:38 PM
My son didnt tell me about the chicken pox although I had read it on here. I wonder if they are transferring to Arnold yard now? Also I wonder if they still get quarterlys at camp. I sent a package on Friday so I hope it finds him if he is moved over to Arnold yard. He is supposed to call today.
Laura

BlessedLady35
02-05-2006, 03:06 PM
I will ask my husband when he calls,if he knows if they are transfering toArnold yard yet..Yes you can still get the quarterlys at camp. However, when I talked to my husband last night and asked himif he was ready for me to order his box,, he said to wait because they have limited room for storage over at the camp. If he is moved to Arnold yard there should not be a problem with the box getting to him. For some reason I think that Arnold unit is still closed...they also have a flu outbreak there. let me know if you have any other questions