View Full Version : Companies that Hire Parolees

denverswife
01-25-2006, 09:53 AM
Finding work is one of the hardest things for the guys that want to do good. I thought we could start a list of places that they at least have a chance at getting hired, and maybe one for places that DONT hire them, so they won't bother and get rejected.

In Redding there is a day labor place callled Labor Ready that will hire and pay every day, too. Most temp agencys will hire parolees.

Walmart WILL NOT hire.

On the other side, Sears won't. Company wide policy.

Barbara
01-25-2006, 09:09 PM
If Sears won't maybe everyone should think twice before shopping there. If that is their rule I will not be going there anymore. Love Barb

kristinam79
01-25-2006, 09:36 PM
they have Labor ready here in Orange county, I heard they hire felons. I know Costco does too because the parole agent tried to get my husband to apply there but he had already gotten a job. I think the parole agents have contacts at certain places and they send guys over that they feel they can recommend.

NuBeginning
01-26-2006, 01:30 AM
Finding work is one of the hardest things for the guys that want to do good. I thought we could start a list of places that they at least have a chance at getting hired, and maybe one for places that DONT hire them, so they won't bother and get rejected.

Hey I made this into a sticky... thanks, it's a great idea. I'm still working on gathering information for this forum so if you have any other ideas just PM me. I just need to make sure the info we have here doesn't duplicate or cross some of the other stickies in the CA forum.

Any and all ideas are welcome!

Cubana
02-04-2006, 05:12 PM
home depot hires felons.

Cubana
02-04-2006, 05:20 PM
scroll own to where it says Companies who hire ex-felons

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=companies+who+hire+felons&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3Df 5a4d5a5e4f36d87%26clickedItemRank%3D8%26userQuery% 3Dcompanies%2Bwho%2Bhire%2Bfelons%26clickedItemURN %3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.changelives.org%252Fjobl inks.html%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPTop%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.changelives.org%2Fjobl inks.html

Barbara
02-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Companies That Hire Ex-Felons:
Compton Unified School District (http://www.compton.k12.ca.us/humanresources.htm)
Getty Museum (http://www.getty.edu/about/opportunities/jobs.html)
LAUSD (http://www.lausd.k12.ca.us/lausd/offices/personnel/class/select/home.htm)
Pacific Park (http://www.pacpark.com/employment.asp)
PV Jobs (http://www.pvjobs.org/)
Thomas Staffing Services (http://www.thomas-staffing.com/)
Time Warner Cable (http://www.timewarnercable.com/corporate/aboutus/careers)
Volt Jobs (http://www.jobs.volt.com/)
White Memorial Medical Center (http://www.healthcaresource.com/whitememorial)

1Sharonty
02-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Hello,
Here in San Diego, National Steel hires felons as well. I really somewhere I can talk to that will offer a job to someone who is trying to get out. Any ideas?
Thanks

denverswife
02-11-2006, 09:15 AM
That's a tough one Sharon4Troy. Your best bet is a privately owned company, landscaping, roofers, construction. Somewhere that you can actually talk to the person who owns the place. I've known people who had great luck at AA or Alanon meetings. People there have a much higher likelyhood of giving him a chance, having been down themselves.

California Sunshine
02-18-2006, 02:23 AM
Labor Ready

Longs drugstore (may vary depending on location)

Round Table Pizza (may vary depending on location)

txtowerman
03-21-2006, 03:37 PM
According to my brother the parole board expects him to have a job waiting if he gets out. Any comments. He is at avenal state prison california. they are also saying lifetime parole without leaving the state. EVER! Can they do that?
And how do you get hired without any contact?

cali_girl
05-08-2006, 04:12 PM
scroll own to where it says Companies who hire ex-felons

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=companies+who+hire+felons&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3Df 5a4d5a5e4f36d87%26clickedItemRank%3D8%26userQuery% 3Dcompanies%2Bwho%2Bhire%2Bfelons%26clickedItemURN %3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.changelives.org%252Fjobl inks.html%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DNSCPTop%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.changelives.org%2Fjobl inks.html

This is a good site I was just looking through it. I wish that I could find something like that is Northern Cali

BlessedLady35
05-08-2006, 08:18 PM
I am also looking for places in the San Fransisco bay area that will hire ex-felons.

trishalish
05-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Check your local Goodwill Industries. I manage a Goodwill store, and our maintenece manager was a parolee. He started out as a driver. That is what goodwill is about..helping people with barriers to employment! It's our mission statement. It isnt the highest paying job, but full time has benefits. Well worth looking into! :)

RyluvsJen
08-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Hello, ladies! I am finding a wealth of information here. My main question is what types of job will my future husband be kept from working? He was released 12/31/2005 and is on parole. He may get an release from it as early as January.

He is currently doing sales for an electrical warehouse out of our area and doing quite well. He will be moving back to to our home in or around January. He really wants to be a nurse, but what restrictions do our Shasta County hospitals have for that?

We have talked about all of the different options he has, and I don't want him to feel limited because of his felon status. We plan to apply to have it expunged as soon as we can.

I know this is a silly question, but is there a list or something out there that let's you know what types of industries you CAN work in? I want to keep him out of heavy labor at all costs. I would rather he go to college for life then to have him do heavy labor.

And I am not saying he is too good to do it, so please, no one take offense. I just want more for him, you know?

Any advice or tips would be so appreciated.

Thank you! Jennifer

Ted's mom
08-12-2006, 12:53 PM
I would check with the licencing board for nursing. THey do have restrictions about felons gettting licenses for nursing. Good Luck

questioning
08-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Just out of curiosity are convicted Felons allowed to work for a fire dept./ agency? Or not because it is part of government? I know a lot of inmates go to fire camp but once they are out if they had the other job requirements can they get hired? What about other government jobs??

Cubana
08-14-2006, 10:27 PM
the Department of Forrestry does hire them after fire camp, but I'm not really sure about frire department.

Jerrysmom
08-18-2006, 10:28 PM
most of the contractors in the oil fields in kern county will hire parolees.
hard work-hot in the summer-cold in the winter
but good pay.
they want a drivers licence and some one who is reliable and wants to work alot.

Reddingmom
08-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Wow!! Suddenly people from Shasta County!! There are so few good paying jobs here it is hard for a felon to get a job. As far as nursing goes the hospitals in Shasta County have strict guidelines that prevent felons. You can't even do the hospital part of your schooling as a nursing student from Shasta College if you are a felon. California Department of Forestry (CDF) will hire you but for seasonal only if you know what you are doing but you cannot promote so it is basically a dead end job. Oh yeah, also you can't even get an EMT (emergency medical techinician) card if you are a convicted felon so that right there would preclude you from any city firefighting jobs.

Fortunately my son has a choice of a couple of jobs waiting for him when he gets out next summer. One through freinds of his and a couple through friends of mine.

Good luck,
Reddingmom
Shasta County

momof1angel
08-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Would anyone know where I can look for places that will hire felons in the Santa Clara county

c's baby
08-24-2006, 11:06 AM
If Sears won't maybe everyone should think twice before shopping there. If that is their rule I will not be going there anymore. Love Barb

Ok, so Sears doesn't hire felons. They are connected with Orchard Supply Hardware and Kmart?

momof1angel
08-25-2006, 01:17 PM
How do you look up jobs that hire..I need to know what places will hire in santa clara county or is it all the same

susan 619
09-10-2006, 03:42 PM
does any know any employment opportunites in san diego california.??

yourownliz
02-06-2007, 04:24 AM
Does anyone know of a parolee going through the EDD to get a job? On their website it mentioned something about ex-offender employment services.

united
02-06-2007, 10:30 AM
I need job offers in L.A. county for my man - who can help or has advice?

MikesSis
02-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Does anyone know of a parolee going through the EDD to get a job? On their website it mentioned something about ex-offender employment services.

I would guess that EDD would be a good resource. I think my husband went there when he first got out and registered through Cal-Jobs. They have employment "counselors" and such that should be able to help. Some Parole departments are helpful too, while others are not helpful at all.

This is a great thread.

queencamote
03-07-2007, 02:22 AM
my sister-in-law works for the EDD and yes they will help ex-felons find work. Actually in most cities they have a bulliten board dedicated to just that.

queencamote
03-07-2007, 02:24 AM
if anyone has more information on what and where ex-felons who have been trained through the fire camp can find work in the field after their release please let me know.

Shari
03-07-2007, 09:51 AM
I would be interested in the same info as queencamote so I can pass that on to a friend of mine who is in fire camp right now.

cadustin
03-09-2007, 06:17 PM
There is a company in Frenso that hires excons too. It is called Electronic Recyclers. I know a lot of the moving companies will hire them as movers. Not as drivers, but at least it is a foot in the door.

Carnival31
03-23-2007, 02:57 AM
My man is an Iron worker (union)...they make bank! Also, he can get sent to a job within a couple days, if not next day. Having a criminal background does not affect work in this field.

Also, Labor Ready in Orange County (Santa Ana) is a good place to go for temp work (some even leading into more permanent positions)

PT ROSE
03-23-2007, 01:28 PM
My man is an Iron worker (union)...they make bank! Also, he can get sent to a job within a couple days, if not next day. Having a criminal background does not affect work in this field.

Also, Labor Ready in Orange County (Santa Ana) is a good place to go for temp work (some even leading into more permanent positions)

Carnival, How would they go about getting work as an Iron Worker? Any info would be appreciated!
Thanks! :D

ati2d
03-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Does the type and/or the level of the crime that someone commited make a difference in getting hired? Some people mentiond "felons" vs "parolees".
How does one fill out an application with out the employer just denying you without knowing the details of the crime, but only the catagory of the crime? Can you add a note explaining the circumstances as a "pre-emptive strike"? Does/would that help? :confused:

ChickfrmNh
03-24-2007, 03:11 AM
I'm in the city of Riverside, Riverside County. Does anyone know any places that would hire out here? Some type of construction or something would be great! Well anything would be good. Suggestions anyone?

cadustin
03-24-2007, 07:26 PM
The type of crime will make a difference. BUT it is against the law to tell someone they are not being hired because they have a felony. There are exceptions to this rule though! I know some companies cannot hire an ex con no matter what the crime. In most cases though, it will depend on the crime vs the job. A Pharmacy is not going to hire a drug dealer... and they can say no for that reason. A bank can say no to an imbezzler, etc...

PS... a felon and a parolee are the same thing.

Does the type and/or the level of the crime that someone commited make a difference in getting hired? Some people mentiond "felons" vs "parolees".
How does one fill out an application with out the employer just denying you without knowing the details of the crime, but only the catagory of the crime? Can you add a note explaining the circumstances as a "pre-emptive strike"? Does/would that help? :confused:

JMK
03-24-2007, 08:12 PM
I just heard that Starbucks will hire people with a criminal record. It might vary by location and/or what the convictions were for, but my mom just met someone with a felony conviction who works at a Starbucks.

ati2d
03-25-2007, 09:40 PM

PS... a felon and a parolee are the same thing.
Oh.....I didn't know....I thought a felon was someone who was convicted of a felony. I didn't know that all parolees have been convicted of of felony.

monet420
06-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Here is the link to NASSCO (http://www.nassco.com/) in San Diego,
They do hire felons

Maggie12
06-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Oh.....I didn't know....I thought a felon was someone who was convicted of a felony. I didn't know that all parolees have been convicted of of felony.

well cadustin is not exactly right....in order to be on parole you have had to serve time in prison. the only people sentenced to time in state prison are those convicted of felonies. therefore, anyone on parole is also a felon. once you are off of parole, you are still a felon.

however, you can also be convicted of a felony and sentenced to county jail, depending upon the crime. in that case, you would not be a parolee. those released from county jail are on probation. but, you would still be a felon. parolees and felons are a little different.

Charlie'sGirl
06-15-2007, 03:32 PM
im lookin in Stanislaus County or Central Valley area

JLS
06-15-2007, 07:33 PM
By definition, anyone convicted of a felony must be sentenced to prison, and every felony, currently, requires a period of parole following release from incarceration. All parolees have been convicted of a felony and all felons have been on parole.

Maggie12
06-15-2007, 09:21 PM
By definition, anyone convicted of a felony must be sentenced to prison, and every felony, currently, requires a period of parole following release from incarceration. All parolees have been convicted of a felony and all felons have been on parole.

This is just not true JLS. a lot of people convicted of felonies dont go to prison. their sentences get diverted into county jail time plus probation, basically a suspended sentence with the threat that if you are unsuccessful on probation, your status can be revoked and you can be sent to prison. I know many many many people (myself included) who have felonies and have never done a day in state prison. Spend a week in county jail and youll meet many too.

JiniGurl
06-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Hello, ladies! I am finding a wealth of information here. My main question is what types of job will my future husband be kept from working? He was released 12/31/2005 and is on parole. He may get an release from it as early as January.

He is currently doing sales for an electrical warehouse out of our area and doing quite well. He will be moving back to to our home in or around January. He really wants to be a nurse, but what restrictions do our Shasta County hospitals have for that?

We have talked about all of the different options he has, and I don't want him to feel limited because of his felon status. We plan to apply to have it expunged as soon as we can.

I know this is a silly question, but is there a list or something out there that let's you know what types of industries you CAN work in? I want to keep him out of heavy labor at all costs. I would rather he go to college for life then to have him do heavy labor.

And I am not saying he is too good to do it, so please, no one take offense. I just want more for him, you know?

Any advice or tips would be so appreciated.

Thank you! Jennifer

Dear Jennifer,

I have a son in prison that needs to acquire a job prior to his release if they even release him...I'm up in the Shasta/Tehama area. Do you know what companies via your future husband hire felons? I have approximately 6 months to work on it.

I would appreciate it.:help:

peanut_n_jam
06-21-2007, 03:56 PM
i was looking on craigslist and it seems that taxi companies pay good money for dispatchers, and they said no background checks required and minimal qualifiactions needed for computer. i know it sounds kinda cruddy, but its a start!

norcalprincess
08-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Im not to sure of this but my boyfrind has to take a class when he paroles and they said that once he has completed the corse, they place him in a job. Its like a job placement that his parole officer signed him up for.

Charlie'sGirl
08-30-2007, 02:51 PM
my husband wants to do the iron worker (union) thing but we live in modesto cali, central cali and he doesnt know where to go abouts getting into that, do you have any pointers for us, in helping him get into the union? i would very much appriciate it

Marta

missingCrowNCCF
04-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Ok, so Sears doesn't hire felons. They are connected with Orchard Supply Hardware and Kmart?

kmart hires i know this for a fact at least in Southern California my man worked ther until he got loccd up

PT ROSE
04-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Coronado Stone (http://www.coronado.com)in Fontana, San Bernardino County, hires Felons/Parolees straight out of prison or on parole already. I've talked to them, they said no problem. They are a felon friendly company.

Corporate Office:
Coronado Stone Products
(800) 847-8663
11191 Calabash Avenue
Fontana, CA 92337

Nancbee4
05-03-2008, 10:52 PM
He would have to find a nursing program first. You might check at Shasta College and see if they even have a nursing program. Usually such programs are extremely competitive and you must complete many prerequisits first. (Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology, etc.) There is no reason you can't call the college and talk to somebody and get all the info though. Good luck.

mslisaleon
05-06-2008, 01:50 PM
We are seeking individuals who have been discriminated against during an interview or on an application if so please email me. Email removed per PTO Policy, please PM member. We might be able to get you some help. We are also seeking individual citizens and employers who would be interested in participating in our Ban the Box Campaign and people who would be interested in starting a chapter in their own counties. People this is big. Foundations are welcome to inquire.

Drewslady149
05-27-2008, 01:38 AM
kmart hires i know this for a fact at least in Southern California my man worked ther until he got loccd up

That must be somthing new because I have a misdomener (sp?) and they woulnd't hire me even when I went in and talked to the HR lady...she said she would because I had alot of experience (worked at Target for 3 years) but I came up red flaged on her computer...but hey maybe I wasn't "Bad" enough....they only want felons not misdomerners LOL

1strike
05-27-2008, 09:52 AM
no one hires felons, i have 2 felonies and have been clean and sober for over 10 months.i have applyed for over 100 jobs and only had 1 interveiw at wallfart and they turn me down.the only future for a felon is in prison.they dont want us to have a good future out here.my felonys are non vilolent crimmil threats and vandelism, i never even got prison for it, they gave me a strike and probation.i cant find a job any where, it sucks because i want to do good and have a good future for myself, but no one will give me a chance to earn a paycheck.

Charlie'sGirl
06-18-2008, 12:46 PM
i know that westaff staffing agency hires parolees, my husband got jobs there before he got violated, and they said that when he gets out to have him go back there.
marta

G.Leyva
06-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Most temp agencies will hire a felon as long as you have been out for a year

Charlie'sGirl
06-18-2008, 02:57 PM
that is true but some work with you, my husband was out for about a month and he got hired with westaff the moment he applied, the next day he started working. i think it just depends ont he agency.

Most temp agencies will hire a felon as long as you have been out for a year

BigShoulders
06-20-2008, 02:15 AM
My sister had 2 felony convictions and several misdemeanor bad check convictions in the late 80's when she applied for a job with Manpower temps. She was honest with them, told them that she'd only gotten out of prison 2 weeks earlier after doing her full and complete sentence. They put her to work the day after she completed her testing and interview, working for General Electric. She worked at GE for the next 5 years, bouncing between 3 departments, with no time out of work between those assignments. This was in NY state, the capitol region, but it was steady work. One of the positions was even in a section that employees needed to be bonded. The agency was able to bond her through the federal government for a year.

There are companies out there that will give you a break but they are rare. You need to be honest with them and give them 150% of your best work.

1strike
06-20-2008, 12:35 PM
i went to man power right when i got out of jail, i was in there for 3 hours taking tests and tons of paper work.i told them i had 2 felonios vandelism and crimmel threats,they said they will call me when a job is avalable.they have not called me once:hmm:, that was 11 months ago.i called them back about 10 times asking if they have a job for me yet, they said will call you when one pops up.:angry:

monet420
06-20-2008, 12:41 PM
1strick~ I Am So Sorry You Are Having A Problem Finding A Job. Where In Cali Do You Live Maybe I Can Give You Some Referrals My Husband Has Been Out About 7 Months And Has Had 2 Jobs Since He Has Been Home And Offered Several Other Ones. Maybe I Could Help You..

1strike
06-20-2008, 03:08 PM
1strick~ I Am So Sorry You Are Having A Problem Finding A Job. Where In Cali Do You Live Maybe I Can Give You Some Referrals My Husband Has Been Out About 7 Months And Has Had 2 Jobs Since He Has Been Home And Offered Several Other Ones. Maybe I Could Help You..i live in temecula ca. and i dont have a car and the bus system sucks up here.those are the 2 resons why its taking years to find a job.if i had a car i would of had a job the first week out of jail.i cant find any thing with in 2 miles of my house, i will be walking to work if i ever find a job.thanks for trying to help, all the places that hire felons are far away from temecula thats why im still job less.

Tricksie2645
08-25-2008, 11:18 AM
My son is looking for something in the Sacramento area. Most of the temp places now do background checks. Even the taxi companies seem to not want to hire anyone with a felony...any suggestions?

Albee Damned
08-25-2008, 12:33 PM
St. Vincent's will pay best because they have the Catholic Church (and their money) behind them. All of these companies will hire felons/ex-felons. That is part of their mission. They also might help with housing issues.

From what I hear St. Vincent's actually pays pretty well, especially for someone that just got out and is trying to get back on their feet. Even if it is only temporary, something is better than nothing. Most importantly, they can be used as a reference down the road.

As far as taxi companies, to drive a cab you need a chauffeur's license, which you will not be able to get unless your felony has been expunged. You might be able to get one with a Certificate of Rehabilitation (CoR), I'm not sure. If you've been to prison, you cannot get your felony expunged, just the Certificate. But this is why it is important to take anything you can when you get out, because this will help with expungement/CoR down the road. Also, I'm pretty sure that you can still dispatch for the cab company without expungement/CoR.

As for temp agencies, you should be honest with them. Some of their clients require background checks, others don't. That is why they are doing them these days, at the clients' requests. The agencies will usually help you find work if you're honest with them, they really don't care, they just want to know where they can and can't send you. They don't want to look bad to their clients by sending someone that will fail the background check.

I know a guy with 3 separate felonies, all drug-related. He currently works at Goodwill, but actually just got hired for a janitorial position that pays better. He had decent jobs even with one and two felonies, in fact, he was working for MinuteMaid (Coca-Cola) when he picked up his 2nd felony (for meth) and they just told him to "keep his nose clean" when he told them about it. He just got out of county lockup and was living in a halfway house when he got the job at Goodwill. He has only been out of the halfway house for about 6 weeks now. He says there is another guy that just did 8 years for dealing that they just hired. The place is a revolving door and they are desperate for anyone they can get. If you are loyal and work hard, you can become one of their valued "longer-term" employees in about 6 months!

The key is to just fill out those applications, it's a numbers game. Applying at the right places is very important, too. Don't waste your time with a company you know doesn't hire ex-offenders, at least not right when you get out. If you fill out enough applications at the right places, you'll find something. It might not be the best to start, but it is a start. Good Luck!

Tricksie2645
08-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks, I didn't know about St Vincent de Paul. He had heard that Coke hired, but wasn't sure about it. He's currently trying to get at least some temp or part-time work. His resume shows no work for the last 5 years or so, and that makes it a little harder if they just go by that. He'll keep looking.

Albee Damned
08-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks, I didn't know about St Vincent de Paul. He had heard that Coke hired, but wasn't sure about it. He's currently trying to get at least some temp or part-time work. His resume shows no work for the last 5 years or so, and that makes it a little harder if they just go by that. He'll keep looking.

He needs to find something, anything, soon just to get a new work history going. He can look for something better while he works at something that is "not so great". Also, one good thing about temp work is that he might work for one company for a few months, then another for a few, etc., and build up references quickly. I'm sure he'll do fine.

DianaLovesGreg
09-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Homeboy Industries In Chinatown.. Los Angeles Ca..
Almost By The Los Angeles County Mens Central Jail..

Father Greg And The Homeboys Are The Best!!

K~Z's Babygirl
11-28-2008, 08:37 PM
okay, thanks for all of your help! but....what about the inmates filing for SSI or Disability while still in there?

mrs.crishon
04-24-2010, 04:08 AM
Im with you on that. If they think that they are that high and mighty I won't either. I use to work for them about ten years ago.If Sears won't maybe everyone should think twice before shopping there. If that is their rule I will not be going there anymore. Love Barb

sunmoon728
04-26-2010, 12:27 AM
labor ready hires. they have them in the LA area.

jackdaniel361
11-08-2010, 10:45 PM
It's hard to help my dad out while I'm deployed overseas, but the internet has proven to be an indispensable tool in my ongoing efforts to help get my dad back on his feet. I found this website with a decent list of companies known to hire felons and ex-convicts. I hope someone finds this useful. Don't give up! There are still good people willing to give second chances! Good luck to all of you in your efforts.

Since I'm new to the site I'm not allowed to post the website address yet.
Search Google for "list of companies that hire felons" and click on the "ranker.com" website link

Or just type in the 3 w's before this:
ranker.com/list/list-of-companies-that-hire-felons/business-and-company-info

Shari
11-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Thank you very much for that list. It looks like it will help a lot of people.

2sleepy
11-10-2010, 11:11 AM
I know for a fact that in spite of Walmart saying they hire felons, they don't! In fact they use a private company to do a background check and will deny employment to a person because someone with the same name has a felony.

Costco does hire felons, so does Lowe's. A friend of my son's was turned down for a crappy pizza delivery job at Pizza Hut because of his record (all non-violent) they actually did a criminal background check on him. Most oil refineries will hire felons who have been out of prison for awhile without re-offending, and most of the oil refineries also use contractors who will hire felons.

I think there should be a law against using criminal history against someone applying for a job unless the information is verified, employers pay a few dollars to companies to do background checks, and all they do is copy online court data and jail bookings, and the results include cases that were dismissed or never even filed on. Most of the time the applicant isn't even told of the results, they are just denied the job for 'some other reason'

There is a movement to 'ban the box' (the box on applications asking if you have criminal convictions) Read about it here: http://www.thedefendersonline.com/2010/09/07/the-%E2%80%9Cban-the-box%E2%80%9D-movement-scores-victories/

and if you live in California (I don't) contact your local city council, county board of supervisors and your state legislators and encourage them to enact a 'ban the box' law and hopefully more ex-offenders will be able to find jobs!

Shari
11-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Very true about Walmart. That is exactly what happen to my guy. The store he was applying for he worked at before he went in, when he got out they wanted very much to hire him back. They did the drug screening and he was straight forward with them and told them exactly why he was in and all that. They told him not to worry it would be ok then a few weeks later he gets a letter from them saying that he did not get the job, not even a phone call to explain why.

I agree that there should not be that box on the app., but I can understand why the pizza delivery one did the background check. They need to know that the person they are sending out there to other people homes does not have any serious dangerous background like rape or something like that. But a non-violent offense should not stop them from hiring someone.

2sleepy
11-10-2010, 03:29 PM
I agree that there should not be that box on the app., but I can understand why the pizza delivery one did the background check. They need to know that the person they are sending out there to other people homes does not have any serious dangerous background like rape or something like that. But a non-violent offense should not stop them from hiring someone.
I think all this 'background screening' does is give people a false sense of security, it does nothing to protect the public from the millions of people out there who are doing stuff as bad or worse than people with a felony conviction the only difference is that they haven't been caught.

Shari
11-10-2010, 06:51 PM
I agree with you on that.

Kikeslady
12-16-2010, 10:57 AM
A lot of good information, However, I too am seeking to help my babe in finding a job in the Sacramento area....There is a Labor Ready just down the street. Any other ideas would help here in my area.

Shari
12-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Try Safeway I was once told by someone who worked there that they do hire people on parole. I do not know this for a fact that is just what I was told.

gabe's girl 1999
12-20-2010, 02:48 AM
that is true but some work with you, my husband was out for about a month and he got hired with westaff the moment he applied, the next day he started working. i think it just depends ont he agency. You are in modesto? My husbend is getting out in 48 days and he wants to find a job any other places out this way I live out here in Modesto.:)

Godz_gurl15
12-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Has anyone heard about any jobs in the Stockton area? My fiance did construction and flooring before he went in.

Shari
12-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Have him check out Labor Ready the get calls from a lot of construction companies that need workers and they do not check backgrounds. It is a good way for him to get his foot in the door with these companies and if they like him maybe they will hire him on full time.

Godz_gurl15
12-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Have him check out Labor Ready the get calls from a lot of construction companies that need workers and they do not check backgrounds. It is a good way for him to get his foot in the door with these companies and if they like him maybe they will hire him on full time.
Thank you so much! :p

2sleepy
12-28-2010, 12:51 AM
A friend of my son's had a horrible time getting a job, mainly because he had been bouncing in and out of prison for so long that he never had a 'real job' for any significant length of time. I tried to help him find a job for a couple of months..nothing. He couldn't even get a job delivering pizzas. Then I told him to post an ad in craigslist stating that he was a non-violent ex offender who would do accept any honest work. He got several jobs helping people move and doing yard maintenance and stuff, and one thing led to another and he got a really good job working in an upholstery company and has been there for almost a year. Sometimes you just have to be creative in your approach..

Godz_gurl15
12-29-2010, 02:59 PM
A friend of my son's had a horrible time getting a job, mainly because he had been bouncing in and out of prison for so long that he never had a 'real job' for any significant length of time. I tried to help him find a job for a couple of months..nothing. He couldn't even get a job delivering pizzas. Then I told him to post an ad in craigslist stating that he was a non-violent ex offender who would do accept any honest work. He got several jobs helping people move and doing yard maintenance and stuff, and one thing led to another and he got a really good job working in an upholstery company and has been there for almost a year. Sometimes you just have to be creative in your approach..
Thanks so much! That's a great idea!:p

DonFromWI
01-27-2011, 09:58 AM

I know some people that go to Labor Ready and they told me over the last year they have been performing drug screens and/or background checks for some of the companies that use them. They told me it really depends on the company, and that they use different "tiers" of background checks based on what the client requests.

I was also told if you don't pass a drug test, you are fired from Labor Ready, so if you are going to be "dirty", turn down the job and wait for something that doesn't require the drug screen. Additionally, the background checks are client-specific and if you don't qualify based on your record, that doesn't mean they won't send you out to another client that doesn't want the check or is less picky on the results.

The majority of the companies that are requesting the background checks and drug screens are their national accounts, which usually are bigger companies. Although this information comes mostly from the Madison, WI Labor Ready office, I would bet that this is a nationwide policy they have adopted.

Sorry for the bad news!:(

DonFromWI

Shari
01-27-2011, 01:29 PM
You are correct, it is a new policy that they have. I have spoke to a office in VT and they told me the same thing. I use to work for Labor Ready and I said that we never checked anyone and the manager told me it was something new. The funny thing is I had actually asked corporate this question last year and they told me that they are not doing it, but this manager told me that it really just started nation wide the begining of this month. That is a shame cause I know when I worked there we had a lot of homeless people that we would send out and they were clean and great workers but their background was not that great. I acutally know a few of them that were able to get back on their feet cause of Labor Ready and getting hired on full time by the people we sent them out to. With these new checks it is going to be harder. I also remember times when we were short workers I would go with the manager to the local soup kitchen to recuit workers I guess that is going to be harder to do now also.