View Full Version : New bill introduced for conjugal visits in the Michigan prison system!

billswife8
02-01-2006, 10:08 AM
NewsFlash Home | More Michigan News

Bill would sallow married inmates conjugal visits
2/1/2006, 5:46 a.m. ET
The Associated Press

DETROIT, Mich. (AP) Michigan has never allowed prison inmates conjugal visits with their spouses.

But a bill introduced in the state House on Tuesday would change that.

Such visits would keep families intact and deter negative expressions of sexual frustration, Rep. LaMar Lemmons III, D-Detroit, told the Detroit Free Press for a Wednesday story. Lemmons sponsored the bill and said he has 18 co-sponsors.

Advertisement

At least five states California, Mississippi, New Mexico, New York and Washington allow limited conjugal visits for select inmates.

Leo LaLonde, spokesman for the Michigan Department of Corrections, said there aren't enough resources to support such a policy in the state.

"We'd have to supply rooms and staffing and we don't want to divert resources so felons can have sex," he said. "You go to prison and you lose certain rights and privileges, and having sex is one of those rights."

Ryan'sWife
02-01-2006, 04:51 PM
Where can we write reguarding this bill?
I say we flood them with letters supporting the bill. If they're worried about how much money it will cost someone should suggest the idea of us paying them for the room. I would defantly pay! It's worth if I got to make love to my hubsand. Please let me know when you find out any more information on this topic. Thank you.

Ryan'sWife
02-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Okay I did my own little search and here's what I came up with.

HB5622 - http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(1ay0p4nasofrof3bcg5jz3qa)/mileg.aspx?page=BillStatus&objectname=2006-HB-5622&queryid=12589423

I wrote to the senator of the area I live in. If you would like to write to your senator about this bill then go to this web site and put in your information and all the contact info should come up. If you can't figure it out or have problem then send me a message and I'll do it for you.
http://www.senate.michigan.gov/SenatorInfo/find-your-senator.htm

billswife8
02-01-2006, 05:39 PM
I just found that information also! Thanks for sharing! We really need to get this bill passed just as bad as we need to get the Good Time bill passed! I agree with you about paying for the room! I would be more than happy to do it also! Lets flood them with letters supporting this bill!!!

Ryan'sWife
02-01-2006, 05:43 PM
I just sent an email to my senator and I plan on giving her a call maybe tomorrow.

deb
02-01-2006, 05:45 PM
It says it was referred to the Committee on Judiciary. Does anyone know who's on this committee???? I'm thinking these are the people we need to be calling, e-mailing and writing to in mass numbers............

Deb

billswife8
02-01-2006, 08:19 PM
I agree because it looks like the bill has alot of co-sponsors but I want to know who we need to bombard!

dmpdbd
02-01-2006, 10:29 PM
I hate to tell you ladies this, but this is a House Bill and has gone to the House Judiciary Committee which is the same committee who we are having no luck with on House Bills 5129, 5130 and 5131 for good time. If we think the Chairman of this committee is going to put this new one for conjugal visits on the agenda, we are dreaming. However, go to the following thread for all the names and addresses of the Committee Members if you want to try writing. Maybe some day our voices will be heard.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151382

dmpdbd
02-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Another thought on this latest Bill for conjugal visits. We must pick our battles and not be divided. The likelihood of getting anything good on the House Judicairy Committee Agenda is remote to begin with, but I personally would rather see us put all our energy into restoring good time instead of getting conjugal visits now. We can have all the "conjugals" we want if we can only get our guys home earlier with restored good time. (Sorry for you ladies with lifers, but first things first.) It is up to you on which bills you wish to flood the House Judiciary Committee with letters, but I would like to see us stand united on the restoration of good time and leave conjugal visits for another time. :thumbsup:

KMJoyner
02-02-2006, 05:59 PM
dmpdbd - I do not agree with your opinion. What you feel is most important may not be important to others. You are asking those who's loved ones have life, or recently sentanced to a large amount of time, to not support things that may be important to them because "first things first". These family members may think the bill for conjugal visits to be more important than that of restoration of good time. I feel like, support is support and sending letters or calling the Judicairy Committee on any matter improving daily life for any of Michigan inmates is equally important.

I will be supporting the bill for conjugal visits to the fullest extent!

StormyNites
02-02-2006, 06:43 PM
dmpdbd - I do not agree with your opinion. What you feel is most important may not be important to others. You are asking those who's loved ones have life, or recently sentanced to a large amount of time, to not support things that may be important to them because "first things first". These family members may think the bill for conjugal visits to be more important than that of restoration of good time. I feel like, support is support and sending letters or calling the Judicairy Committee on any matter improving daily life for any of Michigan inmates is equally important.

I will be supporting the bill for conjugal visits to the fullest extent!

I totally agree. Both are equally important to me, I'd love to see him home, as well as have *nice visits* If any bill came about that I thought was important to me or other's I'd support it!!, but we all have our own opinion if what's important that's what makes us unique!

deb
02-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Many people's loved ones already have good time if they've been in since before it was eliminated and the loved ones with lifer's need this as well.... I say push for whatever is positive and important.... The thing is to push in mass numbers and not be silent...

Deb

MissingMarty
02-03-2006, 05:14 AM
Although I think it's a good idea, I hate to be negative, but I really don't think it'll pass. The general public for the most part doesn't have a very high opinion of prisoners and I'm sure would not support any bill that they think is a benefit, rather than affection, love and sex being a basic human need. And I think that the reps who support the bill will take some heat from the public in general if their voting record comes back that they backed the bill. Good idea, but I just don't think it'll pass.

Lions Heart
02-03-2006, 11:52 AM
I know that it would be a major incentive for my guy to keep his act together. Not that he has a problem in that area anyway but I know if he got conjugal visits he would bend over backwards to stay out of trouble. LOL I might like it if he could bend over backwards. LOL

dmpdbd
02-03-2006, 03:32 PM
I am sorry if I was misunderstood. I do think conjugal visits are very important, but knowing the track record of the House Judiciary Committee, I think we must put our power behind one issue and then on to the next. The good time bill was introduced prior to the one on conjugal visits and, unless we want it to die in the 2005/2006 session, we have to push for the oldest introduced bill to be on the agenda before the new ones. That is half the problem with the House Judiciary Committee, and especially its Chairman, they gloss over any bill they don't like, bury it and move on to some of the most inane bills - the majority of which increase time and penalties. Look up the committee's record sometime and you will see what I mean. Personally, I would love to have conjugal visits, but let me tell you, I don't want the media getting the public up in arms over something like this when we might be able to get them on our side with the elimination of TIS and the restoration of good time.

Ryan'sWife
02-03-2006, 09:51 PM
sorry to be blunt but if you're for TIS so much then why don't you go post in the TIS fourm and not this one. This fourm is for conjugal NOT TIS. My husband won't get TIS until after his ERD anyway so TIS doesn't really mean that much to us...but if we could have a conjugal where we could make love and hold eachother and actually be alone for a while that would mean the world to us. I'm sure there are a lot of other people who feel the same way I do.
so please...take your negative feedback elsewhere.

Ryan'sWife
02-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Here is another person to write to.http://www.housedems.com/reps/3/welcome/

StormyNites
02-04-2006, 07:24 PM
I'd love to have a *nice visit* with my husband, like i said before, I'd pay for it all if they would let me!!

thawkins2922
02-04-2006, 09:39 PM
I would support having good time back then conjugal visits! Having your husband home sooner is more important than being allowed to have sex in a room at the prison with a guard near by. That is my opinion though.

KMJoyner
02-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Everyone has their own opinions and everything holds a different value to each person. I though would love to spend a little "quality time" with my husband and would love for him to come home earlier. I will be supporting both - matter of fact, all bills that support our loved ones

witchlinblue
02-05-2006, 03:07 AM
Wwwwooowww, talk about getting my attention, Ive been hoping for this for so long that I forgot to even hope for it anymore.
Conjugal visits are very important for a married couple, they arent just about sex !!! They are about a married relationship. My husband has now lost his good time and though I support bringing it back and will contribute to that if I can, my heart is in whatever it takes to keep us from losing our marriage and to have personal quality time is very important. We have had a lot of problems and for us to be able to just be alone together would mean the world to both of us and our marriage. My problem is I dont have a local politician to write too (he is in and from MI and Im in Canada and Canadian) and would like the list of all of who I should write, phone, email, whatever it takes. Im half clueless when it comes to understanding the process so I will follow everyones lead here. Just tell me what to do and I will do it. Personally it makes me sick that that article on the original post goes on about sex being taken away is part of the punishment. Couples are married in the eyes of the law and part of that marriage is making love and the wifes and husbands left on the outside are punished too, their marriages are punished. Its not just about sex, its about a marriage and personal bonding time with your spouse. Conjugal visits are not just about sex.
We should seriously look into the reasons why they are allowed in some other states and put together a very good statement backing up this bill to add to our letters. A petition might also be good. There are many many married prisoners in Michigan and we have quite a few of their spouses here on PTO. We can also take petitions with us to prisons and see if there are people there waiting to go in for visits that will sign it. I bet it wouldnt be hard to get quite a few hundred signatures.

witchlinblue
02-05-2006, 03:15 AM
Here is a nice reference regarding the purpose of these visits that may give some ideas on backing up this bill:
http://www.drc.state.oh.us/web/Articles/article76.htm

also

http://www.fcnetwork.org/reading/conjugal.html

dmpdbd
02-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Ryan's Wife - if you have followed any of my posts you would know that I have been posting constantly in the TIS forum.....all the judiciary committee members addresses, emails and fax numbers, a copy of my first letter to use as an example, etc. Conjugals or no conjugals, one thing we must all realize is that if TIS is passed it will help with overcrowding and some of the other conditions our loved ones are experiencing since TIS became effective. And, for your information and anybody else who would care to know, my guy would not benefit from TIS either by getting out sooner - only from an improvement of conditions on the inside. Furthermore, I am not bashing the conjugal bill.............enough said..............however, please note that if I was bashing, I would not have posted in this forum who you should write to if you wish to support the bill at the present time.

Witchlinblue - to support the conjugal visit bill you would write to the same house judiciary committee members we have been writing to for good time.

StacysWar030
02-05-2006, 11:17 AM
What they fail to realize is, conjugal visits just aren't about the "sex" inmates can have. It's about the closeness, the comfort. Kids can go to these. They are really called "FAMILY" visits. What they also fail to realize, is it's natural for humans to have the urge to "cohabitate." It sure would calm ALOT of men & women locked up down!! It only makes sense to have them. And YES we would need to pay for them!

Stacy

P.S. I'm moved this to the legislative forum as it is a bill that has now been intorduced!

DENIMBLUE
02-05-2006, 01:41 PM
...maybe they brought in the conjugal visit bill to lead people away from the other bills already introduced? ...you just never know with these peoples...:twocents:

Ryan'sWife
02-05-2006, 03:13 PM
dmpdbd - I wasn't trying to agrue with you. I was just saying that it seemed like you just come into this fourm and post all about TIS. It seemed like you were basiclly telling us to forget about conjugal visit and focus on something you think is more important. Well conjugal visits are important to me...and I'm all for TIS too...but this fourm is for conjugal so I would appreiate if we stuck to that topic in this fourm. I didn't come in here for TIS information.
Okay that's all I have to say. End of discussion.

witchlinblue
02-05-2006, 03:55 PM
dmpdbd - I also notice you are not married, perhaps the priorities for us married folk and our spouses may be a little different as far as priority. In my opinion conditions will be better when a prisoner must have no tickets for a period of time and work to make sure he gets permission granted. Studies have shown that it improves moral.
StacysWar030 - you are so very right, its not about sex its about family and marriage. But the politicians who will apposed this will use the 'sex' word like its a dirty word. Its up to the families and the spouses to tell them exactly what you have posted.

dmpdbd
02-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Witchlinblue - being married has nothing to do with having or wanting to have a rich loving relationship - sexual or otherwise. Sex was very much a wonderful part of our "living together" relationship before he went in and will be again when he comes home. If conjugal visits are approved, we may just very well discuss making our relationship "legal" in the eyes of the MDOC so that we can have alone time. Maybe one thing that makes me look at this a little differently is that where he is at right now our visits are good and relaxed. Would I want to be alone with him - darn tootin! I've given you the link to get the addresses you need to push for the passage of this bill, so go for it. As Ryan'sWife said - end of discussion.

vonsay
02-07-2006, 08:31 PM
I totally agree with dmpdbd, Im not being negative or anything but I really cant see them passing any bill on conjugal visits. And think about this, say they do pass that bill first? you know the others will be completely disregarded. The biggest argument with the conjugal visits will be the spread of disease. They will say that we on the outside could pass something to our husbands that can cause an complete epidemic in prison or vice versa. And being tested wont be a good argument either because there are too many silent diseases that dont show up with a test. Not to mention the money spent on monitoring the rooms etc etc. It would be very nice to have such visits but it is a loooong shot.

I would concentrate my energy on passing the good time bills. I may be a little biased because my Fiance isnt serving a very long sentence but I'm as horny as the rest of you if not more! lol! Do you guys really think they care about the sex life of prisoners? And most people on the outside look at us as being stupid because we stand by their side so they dont care about our sexual health either. They figure we should just "move one" and forget our men.

I say concentrate of getting the good time bills passed first. If that doesnt work, or even if it does, then concentrate on the conjugal visits.
We need to stand united and not scatter our energies. Who agrees?

Ryan'sWife
02-08-2006, 04:26 PM
I don't 100% agree. I think TIS is important yes, but instead of totally forgetting about conjugal why can you support both?

Okay I'm done. I really don't like the way this topic is moving onto a different subject when it shouldn't be. You guys don't care about the feelings of people who's husbands can't get TIS at all or not until after their ERD. You want us to be more focused on something that means a lot to you ....but what about means a lot to us?

Okay sorry if I sound rude or anything like that I guess I just assumed there would be a lot of you supportive of this topic and just as excited as I am...but I guess I was wrong. I have never found the support I've been looking for on here.
So I'm deleting my account. Good luck to you all.

-Jessica

vckyhutch
02-08-2006, 04:39 PM
are there any states that allow conjugal visits??? Not that i could go through with one...i think about the episode of Desperate Housewives everytime i think of a conjugal visit

witchlinblue
02-09-2006, 02:17 AM
Ryanswife, hold on, I am supporting you and support conjugal visits completely and I plan to do whatever it will take to get my voice heard to support this. That is what this thread is about so lets get on with talking about it. Dont you go anywhere Ryanswife, together we are stronger so if you feel as strongly as I do lets start talking about what to do about getting our voice heard. The other topic will continue in another thread PLEASE !!

Vckyhutch, I posted two links above in another post and the second one will fill you in on the other states.

klove
02-10-2006, 06:11 AM
Ladies, I see a lot of disagreement and devision amongs you regarding these two bills. Why can't everyone support both bills and give them both 100%. TIS would not benefit my husband but I support the bill 100% as I do the conjucal bill:twocents:

witchlinblue
02-10-2006, 11:54 AM
I dont see that as a problem however people are going to do what they feel is in their heart that is why they call American 'Free'. That is why staff strives to keep forum organized so you can freely find that information.
If someone does or doesnt support the bill you feel passionate about fine, you have to respect that others have different priorities. If our supporting this bill is a threat to the life of the bill you support, that is just part of life and take your arguement somewhere else, it has already been expressed enough in this thread. Maybe we feel just as strong or stronger than your passion but if you arent interested in this bill please do not post here just to get us to stop supporting a bill. So this thread is not about any other bill, it is not about recruiting supporters for another bill and it is not a thread to voice opinions that ignore what another member has said in this thread a number of times. It is about conjugal visits and please keep it on topic because in case you havent noticed your insistance on speaking about another topic and insisting they support another bill has actually run off a long term member. And that is unexcectable. This thread is not to be an arguement, it is a place for those interested to take about a bill they support.
THIS THREAD IS ABOUT THE CONJUGAL VISITS !!!!

StacysWar030
02-11-2006, 10:33 AM
STOP!!

This thread is about Conjugal Visits. NOT TIS! This thread is for discussion of Conjugals & who to write to in support of conjugals. Please stay on topic!

We are ALL adults here. We can support MORE then one bill at a time. For all those writing about TIS, can also write about conjugals.

This is NOT a Forum of me, me, me! This is a forum about US, US, US!!!! All these bills are to help current inmates/loved ones & FUTURE inmates/loved ones! Please keep that in mind when posting!

I am in support of this bill. Regardless of the fact that it will NOT benefit my situation one bit. Why? He will be home before it ever passes! Same with TIS! Will not benefit me one bit. However, I SUPPORT ALL!

Now, let's get back to the intent of this thread, and STOP the arguing. We are here to support one another. Arguing only divides us! Let's NOT be divided. We need to stand as ONE on ALL issues or we get no where. :thumbsup:

Thank you all for understanding ;)

mrsdragoness
02-13-2006, 08:18 AM
Truthfully I'm amazed that this bill was even introduced, especially with all the adding bunks and budget crunches. HOWEVER, I have sent in my letters in support of the bill... the fact that its even on the thoughts of some of our legislatures is a positive thing for us!!

DENIMBLUE
02-13-2006, 06:10 PM
JEFF GERRITT: Allowing conjugal visits for prisoners would be pro-family (Detroit Free Press)

February 13, 2006

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060213/OPINION02/602130308/1070/OPINION

StacysWar030
02-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the post Denim. It is quite an interesting debate. I'd really like to see it passed :) I am in agreeance with the whole keeping the family ties stronger. This road would have been MUCH easier for my husband and I that's for sure!

Stacy

vonsay
02-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Geesh! sorry I put in my two cents here! Maybe I was wrong for putting in my comment in the wrong forum. But overall the WHOLE SITE is about us coming together. Ryans wife, sweetie if you are that angry and you are giving up and actually leaving the site because of something that someone said. Just how strong are you going to be in the long run? How can you fight for what you feel strongly about if you are going to just give up? Dont leave the site please :) I will be more concientous for now on about such things as posting in the wrong forum.

Think about this, dont we all support the things that are important to us? Isnt that the reason why we have this site at all? Of course some feel more strongly about some things then others!

I will support BOTH bills at the same time if it will help in any way. I wasnt saying that I am opposed to the bill, I would LOVE to bond with my Fiance! Just point me in the right direction. We are all very frustrated and we dont need to divide ourselves.

deb
02-13-2006, 08:55 PM
:thumbsup: Kudos to Jeff Gerritt having the gumption to do this article! It figues Granholm would be against it...

Deb

StormyNites
02-14-2006, 06:26 AM
I sent him a Thank You email today, I was really impressed!!! Come on ladies, show him your support as well!!

mrsdragoness
02-14-2006, 07:24 AM
We can always depend on Jeff Gerritt to be supportive!! Kudos to him!

witchlinblue
02-14-2006, 10:26 AM
YAH!!!! Jeff Gerritt !!!

StormyNites
02-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the note. As you might guess, most of the feedback I got on this column was negative so it was good to get yours. Jeff G.

Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 7:25 AM
To: Gerritt, Jeff
Subject: Thank You for having the courage to write this article.

Dear Mr. Gerritt,

I just wanted to take the time to say, thank you for writing this article. I am an inmates wife, we too were married at Macomb in 2005. We have been together for almost 6 years. I really do believe that this bill is more than just sex, it's also family bonding time as well. I'm not sure it will pass, let alone be enacted by the MDOC, but I truly appreciate you taking the time to represent people like me in your column. I'm glad you took a stand, and wrote about this issue. Once again, thank you.

Sincerely yours,

queenwdg
02-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the note. As you might guess, most of the feedback I got on this column was negative so it was good to get yours. Jeff G.

Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 7:25 AM
To: Gerritt, Jeff
Subject: Thank You for having the courage to write this article.

Dear Mr. Gerritt,

I just wanted to take the time to say, thank you for writing this article. I am an inmates wife, we too were married at Macomb in 2005. We have been together for almost 6 years. I really do believe that this bill is more than just sex, it's also family bonding time as well. I'm not sure it will pass, let alone be enacted by the MDOC, but I truly appreciate you taking the time to represent people like me in your column. I'm glad you took a stand, and wrote about this issue. Once again, thank you.

Sincerely yours,

We can send letters of support for this bill to the same committe for the GOOD TIME CREDITS, RIGHT??:confused:

dmpdbd
02-14-2006, 11:10 PM
Yes - Same Committee............

Erics_TaraLee
03-01-2006, 12:34 AM
OK I would love to write for both. Both are important and if we write on both maybe one will make it why choose? I am drafting letter up write now for both and going to send them to the reps and senators in my area and the commitee. I am also having friends do the same thing.

witchlinblue
03-02-2006, 10:00 PM
I also got a response from Mr. Gerritt and I invited him to view this thread and check out the Michigan forum. He had apparently tried to find the this thread but couldnt so he knows where it is now. So socks up families of loved ones. Lets get this train rolling !!!

Ryan'sWife
03-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Great! I really hope Mr. Gerritt reads our posts. We really need someone fighting for us for this bill. And I respect him so much for all that he is doing. He is more appreciated then he knows. Here are my reasons for why I feel the bill should be passed.
First of all....there wouldn't be as much people getting in trouble. They would have a way to release some frustration built up in them and that would solve a lot of problems (especially homosexuality).
Also, why should we the family have to suffer? Not being able to have alone time with our husbands along with the seperation and other things that come with having a loved one in prison is enough stress on us. If you made the inmates earn the privilege to have conjucal visits then it would give them a reason to stay out of trouble.
If the cost of the trailers and sheets, etc. is an issue then charge the families or the inmates. I know I'm not alone when I say that I'd pay whatever it takes to be able to have some quality time with my husband.
So please, Mr. Gerritt if you are reading this, please keeping fighting to get this bill passed for us. It would make a world of difference for the families. I know it would lift tons of stress off my shoulders and the state will see positive feedback from it.
Thank you,
Jessica

witchlinblue
03-03-2006, 10:58 PM
I totally agree Jessica, I have no problem paying a fee for sheets, cleaning etc. I also think its a great way to help give a married inmate incentive to behave.
Here in Canada we have these visits and they are called family visits. The government believes in the family and that is the backbone of why they have them. Of course that doesnt do me much good since my husband is in Michigan. Its about time they do something that is positive towards rehabilitation instead of taking it all away. Family is important to keeping an inmate on the straight and narrow. I have serious respect for the journalists and the politicians who recognize this.

witchlinblue
03-03-2006, 11:02 PM
FYI this is why the Canadian government has family visits:

'The Private Family Visit (PFV) was established by the Correctional Service of Canada to encourage offenders to develop and maintain family and community ties in preparation for their return to the community and to lessen the negative impact of incarceration on family relationships. The PFV is more than a conjugal visit as it seeks to enhance the inmate's capacity to pursue his/her correctional plan.' (Source, see below)
Now this makes total sense and not only that is a humane and benificial way to treat an inmate and their families.

Correctional Services Canada - Private Family Visits (http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/pblct/visit/index_e.shtml)

lsmith04
03-25-2006, 10:42 AM
To show your support on this bill write or call the rep below he is in charge of setting dates for bills to be heard. Just let him know u want to show your support on bill # 5622

VanRegenmorter (http://house.michigan.gov/rep.asp?DIST=074)
William (http://house.michigan.gov/rep.asp?DIST=074)
R
517-373-8900
wmvanreg@house.mi.gov (wmvanreg@house.mi.gov)