View Full Version : Stevens Correctional Facility; Welch, WV

justvicki
03-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Stevens Correctional Facility
795 Virginia Avenue
Welch, WV 24801
304-436-5424

332 Level 2 and 3 Beds

In August 2001, McDowell County's Economic Development Authority (E.D.A.) purchased the former Stevens Clinic Hospital. The purpose of this purchase was to renovate the structure for use as a medium security correctional center. The McDowell County Commission operates this center as well as the the Welch Facility (former McDowell County Jail) as the only privately owned correctional center in the state of West Virginia. The Welch facility was constructed in 1976. Between 1990 and 1996 the Federal Court System operated the Welch facility, upgrading it to federal standards. The Stevens Facility was also built in compliance with Federal and State standards.

Staff:

Warden: George Janice
Deputy Warden/Programs: Dennis Dingus
Acting Associate Warden of Security: Pat Belfiore
Associate Warden of Operations: Delmer Winebarger
Contract Monitor: Vacant

KennysBabyGirlW
05-18-2006, 05:41 PM
This is so nice to be able to get on here and find the information I need. Thank you so much for doing what you all do. :)

KennysBabyGirlW
05-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Stevens Correctional Center
795 Virginia Avenue
Welch, WV 24801

justvicki
05-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Great info. Thanks!

tegosbabe4
08-03-2006, 01:06 PM
can anyone give me any info on visits?i am trying to go visit next weekend and i need better info.i am driving five hours and dont have time for any mishaps.i need to no everything.

chintath
08-16-2006, 02:32 PM
I tried calling that number to find if my penpal had been moved and it wasn't the right one. Unfortunately when we were transfered, my cell went dead. Does anyone know the number I could call to see if he's still there?

The Vine locator doesn't have him listed and I haven't heard from him in weeks and I fear the worst.

justvicki
12-06-2006, 06:36 PM
Check out the pics of Stevens Correctional! I attached them to the very first posting in this thread.

Daveswife
08-13-2007, 02:28 PM
I am told that Stevens is now being changed to a level 4 facility.
Not sure how they think they'll keep 4's there, but hey...

justvicki
08-13-2007, 02:54 PM
When I was at MCCC in 1999-2001, there were level 4's on the road crew! Go figure! :)

KennysBabyGirlW
08-13-2007, 05:26 PM
If that's the case, Kenny is already a 3, soon to be a 2. What will that mean for him?

justvicki
08-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Well, no matter where they are housed, we're still dealing with the WVDOC, so it's hard to say. :) However, IF they are going to move level 2's to make room for level 4's I would say as a 2 he has a fair shot at Pruntytown and then on to work release. Just remember that's a big IF though.

Daveswife
08-15-2007, 11:32 AM
They have already shipped most of the 2's out to Mt. Olive. Hubby was just made a 2 yesterday. They'll have to decide if he'll be an inside or outside 2 to see whether he can do work release.
He also talked to a CO the other day and asked her if she was going to stay when it went 4. She said yes, so I would assume it's true.
Hubby was just turned down for Pruntytown. They have to go through an acceptance conference to get in there. No that he's a 2 they will do another one.
Who knows how WV thinks. Ugg! I wish he could get Ptown, he'd be within an hour and a half instead of 4 each way. I can dream right? LOL

kjk2gether
08-15-2007, 03:09 PM
The 2's went to Mt. Olive? WOW I didn't know they could go there. I learn something new all the time.

justvicki
08-15-2007, 06:45 PM
At one time all the facilities in WV housed defined security levels:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210095

But, with the overcrowding the way it has been for the last 5-7 years, they don't follow the guidelines anymore and you will find 2's at Mt. Olive, but normally they won't stay there long.

Daveswife
10-08-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm glad I didn't try to visit Sun. All the visitors were turned away for some kind of water problem. I'd have been MAD after I drove 4 hrs.
As it is...Sat's visit was wonderful. Ms. Tate is the sweetest woman. She's so encouraging about his chance for parole now that he made D building.
She told me that she really likes hubby. She said she's asked him why he's in prison cause he doesn't act like he should be there. I told her...he saves it for when he gets home. LOL.

He should start work tomorrow. He's watched all his movies and taken the little tests about them.

justvicki
10-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Good news! Hopefully Mrs. T is right and he'll be home in January!