View Full Version : Bullock Correctional Facility - General Information including Visitation

Blueyez94
03-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Bullock Correctional Facility

Prison Physical Address:
104 Bullock Drive
Union Springs, Al. 36089

Prison Mailing Address:
PO Box 5107
Union Springs, AL 36089-5107

Prison Main Number: (334) 738-5625

Warden: Kenneth Jones

Visitation Hours: Saturdays and Sundays from 8am - 12:40pm (visits every 2 weeks, one Saturday/one Sunday, based upon last name.) Please see the visitation schedule sticky.

Visitation Notes: You can not be on state property until 7:45am. Around 7:30am, cars start lining up across from the facility. At 7:45am cars can park at the facility, you will go to the gate and stand in line till 8:00am or alittle after. They will usually buzz in 5 people at a time. Once you are in, you sign in, get change (can not bring in loose change), get searched then go to the visitation area.

Visitation Rules: The same as all Alabama prison facilities.
No Shorts, sweat pants, strapless/spaghetti string tops, tank tops.
No tight fitting/form fitting clothing.
No short skirts, dresses with high splits, or wrap around skirts.
Slips must be worn under dresses and skirts.
Underwear must be worn. (they do check)
No caps or hats.
No Sunglasses.
No wigs/hair pieces.
No flip flops
No Jewelry (not even wedding bands)
$20.00 in paper money can be taken in for use in the vending machines (they will get change for you) or you can bring the changed rolled. NO loose change is allowed.
MUST have photo ID - drivers license, ID Card, military ID, etc.

For people with babies, you are allowed 2 bottles, 4 diapers, and baby wipes. You can not bring in the car seat.

Children 5 years old and under can wear shorts.

DO NOT take anything in with you besides money for the vending machines, photo ID, and car keys.

A kiss and a hug at the beginning and at the end of each visit is allowed. You can hold hands during the visit.

Smoking IS NOT allowed.

Photos (Polaroid) has to be purchased beforehand by the inmate.

Type of prison: State prison

Security level of prison: Medium

Number of Prisoners: 1128

Opened in: April 1987

Death Row: No

Hours of daily lockdown: None except during sleeping hours.

Other Housing Info: Bullock does have a honor/faith dorm as well as a mental health dorm. Bullock has 20 single cells which are primarily used for inmates under mental health observation and for administrative and/or disciplinary seg. purposes.

Other info: Programs include Intermediate and Intensive mental health, SAP (substance abuse program), adult basic education programs, and daily religious programs.

Smoking is allowed outdoors during non-lockdown hours.

Phones are shut off at 10:30pm Monday thru Friday. Saturday they are shut off at 12:30am (sometimes later), and on Sunday at 11pm.

Rules for mail:There is no limit on pages in a letter an inmate can receive or send out. There are no limits as to how much mail an inmate can send or receive.

Photos are ok as long as they are not Polaroids and they are not sexually explicit (no nudity).

Stamps - you can send up to 2 books of stamps at one time.

Mail should be addressed as such:

Inmate Name, AIS number
c/o BCF Dorm and bed number
PO Box 5107
Union Springs, Al. 36089

Goods that can be sent in thru the mail: Inmates can receive quarterly packages. The list must be obtained from the inmate and must be approved before any packages can be received. People who send packages must be on the inmates fund list. Packages can be sent in March, June, September, and December. The packages for March and September are usually hygine packages (soap, shampoo, socks, etc.). The packages for June and December are food packages and have to be ordered thru American Commisionary Supply.

Books may be sent in from a publisher/business (Amazon.con, Barnes and Nobles, etc.) They may receive no more than 2 books per month.

How to send money to a inmate in this prison: You may send a money order to inmates at Bullock. Best to probably send separately rather than with any letters. These may be postal money orders. Check with the facility to see if a type of money order is on their approved list. The inmate must have a funds list and the sender has to be on that list, or the money order will be returned. The funds list is separate from the visitation list. People on the funds list must be approved, just as the people on the visitation list. When filling out the money order make sure to include his AIS number.

You may now also send funds to ADOC inmates via Western Union online, and funds are generally on their books within a matter of hours. How to do this:

1. Go to http://www.westernunion.com/ and set up an account.

2. Look for the "How To" section, then "Send an Inmate Payment Online".

3. When it asks you for the account number, enter the AIS number and inmate's last name like this with no spaces: 123456SMITH

4. (I would suggest putting your inmate's first & last name on the next ("optional") line to just to be safe!)

ADOC web page for Bullock:
http://www.doc.state.al.us/facility.asp?id=2

(updated 14 March 2008)

lisainengland
10-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi I thought it would be good to have some updated information on Bullock Correctional. So if you have any info on visitation, dress codes etc, post it here and I will merge it into a Sticky. Thanks Lisa :D

josie231
06-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Hi I thought it would be good to have some updated information on Bullock Correctional. So if you have any info on visitation, dress codes etc, post it here and I will merge it into a Sticky. Thanks Lisa :D

I called today to get info on visitation and was to to call back on Tuesday and ask for Ms. E. Johnson.

pepper24
07-07-2012, 08:50 AM
As far as I know, not much, if anything has changed. I've been visiting for the last 3 years, and it's the same it's always been. No white clothing, no solid light yellow or light pink shirts, no flip-flops (but sandals are ok), no shorts, skinny jeans, jogging/track pants, only wedding bands, no other jewelry of any kind. You're still only allowed hugs & kisses at beginning & end of visit (though depending on which CO's are in there, you may be able to sneak a couple during visit :) ). If only one person is visiting, you're allowed $20 to take in (which I didn't know on my 1st visit b/c Easterling had no $ restrictions). I was hastled about the $ that visit b/c I had more than $20, so they made me buy pictures. It was either that, or take the extra back to my car & wait in line again to be checked. Ridiculous. The past 2 visits they had CO's waiting outside the bathroom area & if you went in there for any reason, they re-checked you upon re-entering the visitation yard. That's something new, I guess? Hope this has been helpful! :)

josie231
07-11-2012, 09:42 PM
As far as I know, not much, if anything has changed. I've been visiting for the last 3 years, and it's the same it's always been. No white clothing, no solid light yellow or light pink shirts, no flip-flops (but sandals are ok), no shorts, skinny jeans, jogging/track pants, only wedding bands, no other jewelry of any kind. You're still only allowed hugs & kisses at beginning & end of visit (though depending on which CO's are in there, you may be able to sneak a couple during visit :) ). If only one person is visiting, you're allowed $20 to take in (which I didn't know on my 1st visit b/c Easterling had no $ restrictions). I was hastled about the $ that visit b/c I had more than $20, so they made me buy pictures. It was either that, or take the extra back to my car & wait in line again to be checked. Ridiculous. The past 2 visits they had CO's waiting outside the bathroom area & if you went in there for any reason, they re-checked you upon re-entering the visitation yard. That's something new, I guess? Hope this has been helpful! :)

Thank you so much for the update! I'm planning to visit my son in August along with 3 other relatives. We haven't seem him in person since November. How much money should we take? I've really been worried about him in this heat - don't know how they stand it. Thanks again for your response.

pepper24
07-13-2012, 09:28 PM
If there are several of you visiting, I know you're allowed more than $20, I just don't know how much, exactly. Each of you could take a ziploc bag with up to $20 in it & see if they'll let it slide. Yes, the heat is HORRIBLE...in their dorms & at visitation. At Easterling, they had an actual visitation building with central heating & air. It was a nice set up (as prisons go). At Bullock, though, visits are held in they gymnasium, so NO air conditioning whatsoever. It's absolutely miserable in there. I'm skipping the next few visits b/c the heat is just so unbearable. Good luck with getting to see your son next month! If you have any other questions about Bullock, feel free to ask! :)

josie231
08-13-2012, 07:32 AM
I visited with my son yesterday at Bullock Correctional Facility. It was my first time to visit him there. They did not allow visitors on the property until 7:30 am. Then, we were allowed to drive up to the facility and park. There were not many visitors initially, and we waited to be called in groups of 5. Alabama photo IDs were required and a CO used a little digital gadget to take prints of both our left and right index fingers. It is my understanding that this will replace the requirement for photo ID. However, I would be interested to hear from others who visit next weekend whether this happens or if the fingerprints are just an additional measure to confirm the visitor's ID. Either way, it's fine with me. I never felt disrespected or unsafe, and had a good visit with my son for the first time in nearly a year.