View Full Version : Everything you will need to know about Shelton (Washington Correctional Center)

JJT
04-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Welcome to all the new ladies with guys in Shelton!! I am so glad you found PTO at the begining of this journey through the system.

With so many of you all at once, we are working on putting together an informational thread to answer all your questions.

Please remember this is a work in progress!!

JJT

JJT
04-14-2006, 08:56 PM
From the WA DOC web site: http://www.doc.wa.gov/

Washington Corrections Center
W. 2321 Dayton Airport Road
Post Office Box 900
Shelton, WA 98584
(360) 426-4433

Offender and DOC Number Locator (http://www.doc.wa.gov/offenderinfo/default.aspx)

The Washington Corrections Center (WCC) is comprised of three distinct programs. These programs consist of the Reception Center, the Training Center and the Intensive Management Unit. Additionally, the Statewide Transportation Unit is located at the facility.

Upon completion of the reception/diagnostic processes, offenders are classified and transferred to other facilities to serve their sentence. The Reception Center also serves as an in-transit facility for offenders being transferred from one facility to another.

What happens at the Reception Center?

Offenders arriving at the Reception Center are provided an orientation packet and are fingerprinted and photographed. They are then assigned to a unit and a Counselor. The Unit Sergeant provides a verbal overview of the unit rules and regulations.

Does an offender at the Reception Center have access to mail and telephones?

Offenders are allowed to place collect telephone calls by utilizing their Inmate Personal Identification Number (IPIN). Offenders are issued their IPIN within 72 hours of arrival at the Reception Center. Offenders can correspond with others while at the Reception Center and are encouraged to do so.

Correspondence to male offenders at the Reception Center should be addressed as follows:

Offender’s Name and DOC#
Washington Corrections Center – Reception Center
PO Box 900
Shelton, WA 98584

Correspondence to female offenders at the Reception Center should be addressed as follows:

Offender’s Name and DOC#
Washington Corrections Center for Women – Reception Unit
9601 Bujacich Road NW
Gig Harbor, WA 98335-8300

The telephone number of the Washington Corrections Center is (360) 426-4433. The telephone number of the Washington Corrections Center for Women is (253) 858-4200.

Are Reception Center offenders allowed to participate in the visit program?

Offenders housed at the Washington Corrections Center-Reception Center are allowed to receive approved no-contact visits unless they are “in transit” (awaiting transfer to another facility). Offenders housed at the Washington Corrections Center for Women-Reception Unit are allowed to receive approved contact visits. In order to become an approved visitor, the offender must send you the Visitor Application form to be completed, returned, and approved before a visit can be scheduled. The offender is responsible to convey the status of the application to you.

Screening and Testing

The Initial Classification process takes four to six weeks. During this time, the offender must comply with having a physical and dental examination and psychological evaluation if needed.

During the physical examination, offenders are screened for HIV, TB, Hepatitis A, Tetanus, and any other contagious diseases.

To assist classification and mental health staff in making recommendations regarding custody, placement, and programming, offenders are required to participate in a testing process. The tests are designed to obtain information and assess concerns in the areas of suicide, victimization, violence, psychiatric diagnosis and substance abuse.

How is it determined where offenders will be sent after reception?

Classification is the risk management tool by which offenders will be periodically assessed to monitor their progress, adjustment, behavior and programming throughout their incarceration. The goal of the classification system is to place the offender in the least restrictive custody level designation while providing for the safety of the public, staff, and offenders.

Communication with family, friends, and others is important to those who are incarcerated.

The current security rules (all calls are recorded, can be monitored, and must carry an announcement that it’s a call from a prisoner) are required per statue.

Can I call an offender?

No. See the section on emergency messages.

How are calls made and who pays the charges?

All calls from the regular offender telephones must currently be made collect. At the beginning of the call, there will be a prerecorded message stating that the call is from an offender who is confined at (the name of the facility) followed by an electronic announcement of the offender’s name.

How can an emergency message be relayed?

During normal business hours you should request to speak with the offender’s assigned Counselor or Correctional Unit Supervisor. After hours and on weekends or holidays, you should request to speak with the Shift Supervisor.

How do I get approval to visit an offender?

Before you can be placed on an offender’s visiting list, you must complete the approval process.

The offender is responsible to send you the visitor application. After filling out the application, it must be returned to the facility where the offender is housed. It takes an average of 3 to 6 weeks for an application to be processed and a criminal background check to be completed. If you are approved, you will be added to the visiting list and the offender will be notified.

An individual may be on the approved visiting list of only one offender at any one time unless an exception is granted by the facility Superintendent.

What identification is needed?

Visitors aged 16 and older must present a current piece of photo identification.

Will I be searched?

All visitors, their belongings, vehicles, and any container and/or bag that are brought onto the institution grounds could possibly be searched.

Is there a dress code for visitors?

Yes. Only clothing that is conservative, modest and meets the following standards is acceptable:

· All clothing must be clean and in good repair. All buttons or closures must be fastened to the degree necessary to maintain modesty.
· All visitors must wear socks, stockings, or pantyhose.
· Undergarments must be worn. Male visitors must wear boxer shorts, briefs or long underwear. Female visitors, as determined appropriate, must wear briefs, brassieres, and pantyhose, leotards, or nylons. Briefs must be worn with dresses or skirts.

Visitors should not wear clothing that is difficult to search (i.e., excessive pockets or padding, layering of one outer garment over another, etc.

The following clothing is not allowed:
· Items with holes, rips or tears;
· Low cut items exposing undergarments, cleavage or back;
· Sheer, transparent or mesh fabrics;
· Tight fitting clothing (which includes, but is not limited to, jeans, spandex, lycra or other stretch, rubberized or elasticized garments);
· Clothing that refers to obscenity, alcohol, drugs or sex in any form;
· Culottes, shorts, cutoffs, halter tops, tank tops, sleeveless blouses or shirts;
· Thongs or shower shoes, quilted snow or foul-weather style boots or shoes;
· Dresses/skirts with hemlines or slits higher than 3” above the center of the knee;
· Wrap around clothing with full length openings;
· Skirts that are so tight that they may prohibit search;
· Camouflage clothing;
· Bibbed attire (overalls, etc.);
· Money belts or belts with compartments;
· Excessive jewelry or non-searchable jewelry styles;· Headgear, wigs, or excessive hair ornaments unless
medically required (and written verification is provided) or part of a religious practice; or
· Any item considered to be a threat to the security and safety of offenders, visitors or staff.

How should mail be addressed?

To ensure delivery of your correspondence, you must include your return address and address the envelope as follows:

Offender Name and DOC Number
Name of the Institution and Housing Unit
Post Office Box or Street Address
City, State and Zip Code

Is mail inspected?

Yes. All incoming and outgoing mail will be inspected by facility staff. Mail is examined to prevent offenders from receiving or sending contraband or any other material that may compromise the safety and security of the facility.

Stamps, cash and personal checks may not be mailed to an inmate.

PERSONAL PROPERTY

How do offenders get personal property other than what is provided by the facility?

Offenders may acquire personal property only through the following sources:
· Store orders;
· Purchasing items directly from an approved vendor;
· Quarterly package received from family or friends; and
· Educational or religious programs.

Offenders in work release are allowed personal property that supports finding and maintaining employment.

OFFENDER TRUST ACCOUNT

Each offender has a non-interest bearing offender trust account where funds are deposited. Withdrawals may be made for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to:

· Postage;
· Recreation user fees;
· Education;
· Health care co-payments;
· Store purchases;
· Legal financial obligations as ordered by the county of conviction;
· Child support enforcement; and/or
· Debts

Offenders are not allowed to directly or indirectly transfer funds to another offender’s account or exchange funds or items of value with staff, other offenders, volunteers, or sponsors.

May I send money to an offender?

You may mail a money order only, to be deposited to an offender’s trust account. When doing so, you must include the offender’s full name and DOC number on the money order.

Postal money orders are recommended.

NOTE: Some institutions require that you be on the offender’s approved visiting list prior to sending a money order.

Please be sure to verify with the offender whether this applies to his/her facility.

Money sent into the prison for offender use is subject to mandatory deductions of 35 percent, as directed by the law (RCW 72.09.480), which include:

· Savings - 10 percent of the amount;
· Crime Victims Compensation - 5 percent; and
· Cost of Incarceration - 20 percent.

The 10 percent for savings is put into an account for the offender and is not accessible until his/her time of release, unless an emergent request is made by the offender and approved by Department management.

Crime victims' compensation is sent to the Department of Labor and Industries to assist victims of crime. This is not associated with the offender’s Judgment and Sentence.

Cost of incarceration is sent to Correctional Industries, Department of Corrections, to support the work programs designed to assist offenders with job opportunities.

Additionally, some or all of the following deductions may apply depending on each offender’s individual obligations and the balance remaining after the mandatory deductions are withheld:

· Twenty percent to legal financial obligations (LFOs);
· Fifteen percent to the Division of Child Services;
· One hundred percent to a non-LFO court order;
· Twenty percent to the offender’s Department of Corrections’ debt; and/or
· Twenty percent to the Prison Litigation Reform Act.

When are deposits credited to an offender’s trust account?

Funds are deposited to the offender’s trust account within three working days of the date on the mailroom receipt. After mandatory deductions and debt collection, the remaining funds are available to the offender.

HEALTH SERVICES

How does an offender make an appointment with health care staff?

When an offender arrives at a Department facility, an orientation is provided that describes the facility’s particular procedure for requesting to see health care staff. Usually, offenders who want medical or dental care must submit a written request (kite) which will be screened and prioritized. Appointments are scheduled by health care staff. Emergency medical care is provided as necessary.

FAMILY CONCERNS AND SUGGESTIONS

Who can I contact outside of the facility level?

You may direct inquiries and correspondence to the Department’s Correspondence Unit. Staff members in this unit are able to answer questions and/or direct you to an appropriate staff who can provide assistance:

Department of Corrections
Correspondence Unit
PO Box 41118
Olympia, WA 98504-1118
Phone: (360) 725-8201
Fax: (360) 664-4056
Internet Address: doccorrespondence@doc1.wa.gov

JJT
04-14-2006, 09:13 PM
Visits are behind glass. But there is a speaker so you don't have to hold a pesky phone. The visiting rooms are private.

Never arrive on property earlier than half an hour before visiting starts. Not even the parking lot.

What to wear?

Make sure you wear socks!!

No hooded shirts.

You can wear layers to Shelton (demin shirt over a t-shirt)

If you wear an underwire bra, just hug your self (covering the wire) while you go through the metal detector.

If you have to take off your shoes, make sure your pant legs are not dragging on the floor. It will set the alarm off. Either cuff up your pants or go through on tippy toes.

I always tell people to dress for a Sunday Church Potluck. Conservative.

Shelton has lockers so you can lock your coat and purse up.

You'll drive up to a little intercom box and you'll press the button. They ask you who your there to visit, then they tell you where to park.

Be sure to take the DOC number with you it makes things go faster, because you need to fill out a card.

There is no vending machines for Reception visiting at Shelton.

CJFX
06-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Please can some one tell me if there is a prison roster like they have for county jails, on line? Thank You, CJFX

kellil
06-25-2007, 11:36 AM
No washington doesnt have anything like but you can call Shelton directly during normal business hours. They are real helpful!

veviksgirl
08-29-2007, 10:15 AM
I am having the hardest time trying to find out hoe to send my boyfriend some books. The problem is that he wants a NA Basic Text and An AA Big Book along with some other regular books. Does anyone know How do I go about doing this. Do I need a special form or anything? Can I but some books from 2 different places and send them in? Please Help Soon He REALLY wants these!!:o

JustSteph
08-29-2007, 10:30 AM
veviksgirl-

DOC only accepts books from approved vendors.

Inmate books can NOT come directly from the family/friend. They can only come direct from a vendor.

You do not need any special forms. Inmates can recieve (I believe) up to three books per week. (depending on facility rules).

Amazon.com and Barnes&Noble are both approved vendors.

Amazon carries both of the books mentioned above also. I didn't check B&N cause I just prefer Amazon.

JCLW
08-30-2007, 02:10 AM
What Dougiez said is true for everywhere but Receiving in Shelton. If he is in population, he can receive books. But if he's in receiving, you'll need to wait to send things until he gets elsewhere.

tommy's_girl
08-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Inmates cannot receive books while still in receiving at Shelton. And the upper R units get contact visits in the visiting room where you can sit at a table together and play board games and such. Hold hands the whole time...

momofns
12-21-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm hoping I was able to sent books from amazon now that my son has been moved to another part of shelton. I ordered two for him to be sent. He is also now in an upper unit so when I'm approved, I guess it will not be behind glass now.

JCLW
12-22-2007, 01:20 AM
That will be nice for you, to be able to see your son again. Before you have anything sent to him, make sure he is able to receive it. My guy was in the upper R's but was not able to receive packages until he was transferred elsewhere. I had Amazon send him a Bible and he had to pay to have it sent to me. I guess he'll get it when he gets home in July.

momofns
12-22-2007, 02:04 PM
I guess if he does not get them, I'll get them to read and will keep sending him articles I have ran online, he's been getting those since he got there.

praying mom
01-01-2008, 02:35 PM
you can send articles to them from the paper or online? My son is also needing a bible but is in receiving. Also wondering since sometime he will be transferred out will he ever move up to the upper units or will he stay in receiving until time of transfer?

JJT
01-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Don't spend too much time sending stuff while he is still at Shelton. When they finally transfer out, they can't take anything with them.

Wait until he is at his final destination prison. Then send the bible. But remember that any books, including bibles, have to come from a publisher, or Amazon.com. You can't send him the bible.

Or he can request one from the Chaplan when he gets to where he is going.

He will stay in the R Units for his entire time at Shelton.

JJT

praying mom
01-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Thank you for your information. He is assuming he will probably go to Coyote Ridge if there is bed space. His release date is July 25th. He mentioned not to come and visit him until he was moved up to the upper units so we could have contact visits.....so you think he will stay in recieving during his time at Shelton? Also, I had a question about sending money.....can you send 9 dollar money orders for spendable account so nothing is taken out? I sent one fifty and 55% was taken out. Or are the 9 dollar money orders for postage only? Thank you so much for your replies.:)

krislovesbilly
02-19-2008, 07:20 PM
what are other aproved vendors for shelton for cloths

LaceyNRoyce
02-19-2008, 09:53 PM
I don't think Shelton Approves packages or items being sent in. My Fiance just left there and he wasn't able to have his own clothes sent it. Once he gets to his parent prison he can have clothes either sent in our ordered from magazines it depends on the institution.

PhilB
02-20-2008, 11:47 PM
Only the resident population at Shelton (WCC) can receive packages. New inmates in receiving units cannot get packages. When they get to their regular institution they can have packages, but only within that institutions local policies. So be sure to have him check the local policy on property before sending anything.

dakota421
02-22-2008, 12:21 AM
where do you find inmates mug shots?

JJT
02-22-2008, 01:00 AM
Only a few of the county jails have mug shots on the internet while the person is in their facility. I don't know of any state wide link to mug shots.

tomegirl223
08-15-2009, 12:38 AM
i found out that IMU and R 1-3 inmates in shelton can not have contact visits. my husband will be transferred there next week and im wondering how they determine who goes to what unit (1-7). is it possible for him to be in something other than R 1-3?

codasgirl04
09-01-2009, 01:10 PM
tome~ every inmate goes to the lower r's first which is what you described they stay there for a few days to a few weeks then get transferred to the upper r's, keep in mind it also takes a few weeks for your visit to get approved

MaryL0129
10-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Wow I thought the past 4 years of a long distance relationship with him...knowing the path he was headed down... was tough. Now that he's been in for 6 months and his head is clearing it's an even bigger roller coaster ride. I don't know if I'm a glutton for punishment but I know he is coming out of the fog now and needs support more than ever. So I'll just keep on praying and writing and taking his calls. We've got four and a half more years to figure it all out. Right now he needs to learn to forgive himself and love himself. I have found that reading "Desiderata" has been helping both of us through this. I just hope he walks towards me and not away from me when this is all over. Thanks for giving me a chance to ramble. I don't have anyone I can talk to about this. I guess it's not an "appropriate topic of conversation" in most polite circles. This site has helped me so much. I'm not alone anymore.

Resalicious
08-12-2010, 03:34 AM
my boyfriend will be heading over to Shelton next Tuesday. Thank you for posting the address for Shelton, but does anyone know if the DOC # is the same number that he utilized while at Pierce County, or does he get assigned a whole different number? i'd like to have a letter there waiting for him or arrive shortly after he does but wondered about the DOC #. Can someone help me with that? Thanks, Resalicious

PhilB
08-12-2010, 05:44 AM
County jail numbers are not used. DOC will issue a permanent ID number which he will have for life (even he is back in prison on a new charge years later it will be the same).

He will be given his number upon arrival and he can mail it to you or tell you over the phone. DOC numbers are required on letters ( written in after their name). It will also be available on the inmate locator (http://www.doc.wa.gov/offenderinfo/default.aspx) soon after his arrival to Shelton WCC (http://www.doc.wa.gov/facilities/prison/wcc/default.asp).

Resalicious
08-12-2010, 06:37 PM
THanks PhilB for your help. i was trying to be cute and have a letter arrive shortly after his arrival to Shelton, but good thing I didn't cause it would've gotten sent back. Is the inmate locator something I can access before he even calls or writes me to tell me his DOC number? SOrry for all the questiosn but I appreciate your help. Resalicious

PhilB
08-13-2010, 01:39 AM
The inmate locator can be used anytime. The problem with new arrivals is we have to wait for DOC to put him in the system so it will show up..

Resalicious
08-13-2010, 04:12 AM
Got it PhilB, you've been extremely helpful...thank you

bkzalley
08-25-2013, 11:36 PM
From the WA DOC web site:

Washington Corrections Center
W. 2321 Dayton Airport Road
Post Office Box 900
Shelton, WA 98584
(360) 426-4433

The Washington Corrections Center (WCC) is comprised of three distinct programs. These programs consist of the Reception Center, the Training Center and the Intensive Management Unit. Additionally, the Statewide Transportation Unit is located at the facility.

Upon completion of the reception/diagnostic processes, offenders are classified and transferred to other facilities to serve their sentence. The Reception Center also serves as an in-transit facility for offenders being transferred from one facility to another.

What happens at the Reception Center?

Offenders arriving at the Reception Center are provided an orientation packet and are fingerprinted and photographed. They are then assigned to a unit and a Counselor. The Unit Sergeant provides a verbal overview of the unit rules and regulations.

Does an offender at the Reception Center have access to mail and telephones?

Offenders are allowed to place collect telephone calls by utilizing their Inmate Personal Identification Number (IPIN). Offenders are issued their IPIN within 72 hours of arrival at the Reception Center. Offenders can correspond with others while at the Reception Center and are encouraged to do so.

Correspondence to male offenders at the Reception Center should be addressed as follows:

Offender’s Name and DOC#
Washington Corrections Center – Reception Center
PO Box 900
Shelton, WA 98584

Correspondence to female offenders at the Reception Center should be addressed as follows:

Offender’s Name and DOC#
Washington Corrections Center for Women – Reception Unit
9601 Bujacich Road NW
Gig Harbor, WA 98335-8300

The telephone number of the Washington Corrections Center is (360) 426-4433. The telephone number of the Washington Corrections Center for Women is (253) 858-4200.

Are Reception Center offenders allowed to participate in the visit program?

Offenders housed at the Washington Corrections Center-Reception Center are allowed to receive approved no-contact visits unless they are “in transit” (awaiting transfer to another facility). Offenders housed at the Washington Corrections Center for Women-Reception Unit are allowed to receive approved contact visits. In order to become an approved visitor, the offender must send you the Visitor Application form to be completed, returned, and approved before a visit can be scheduled. The offender is responsible to convey the status of the application to you.

Screening and Testing

The Initial Classification process takes four to six weeks. During this time, the offender must comply with having a physical and dental examination and psychological evaluation if needed.

During the physical examination, offenders are screened for HIV, TB, Hepatitis A, Tetanus, and any other contagious diseases.

To assist classification and mental health staff in making recommendations regarding custody, placement, and programming, offenders are required to participate in a testing process. The tests are designed to obtain information and assess concerns in the areas of suicide, victimization, violence, psychiatric diagnosis and substance abuse.

How is it determined where offenders will be sent after reception?

Classification is the risk management tool by which offenders will be periodically assessed to monitor their progress, adjustment, behavior and programming throughout their incarceration. The goal of the classification system is to place the offender in the least restrictive custody level designation while providing for the safety of the public, staff, and offenders.

Communication with family, friends, and others is important to those who are incarcerated.

The current security rules (all calls are recorded, can be monitored, and must carry an announcement that it’s a call from a prisoner) are required per statue.

Can I call an offender?

No. See the section on emergency messages.

How are calls made and who pays the charges?

All calls from the regular offender telephones must currently be made collect. At the beginning of the call, there will be a prerecorded message stating that the call is from an offender who is confined at (the name of the facility) followed by an electronic announcement of the offender’s name.

How can an emergency message be relayed?

During normal business hours you should request to speak with the offender’s assigned Counselor or Correctional Unit Supervisor. After hours and on weekends or holidays, you should request to speak with the Shift Supervisor.

How do I get approval to visit an offender?

Before you can be placed on an offender’s visiting list, you must complete the approval process.

The offender is responsible to send you the visitor application. After filling out the application, it must be returned to the facility where the offender is housed. It takes an average of 3 to 6 weeks for an application to be processed and a criminal background check to be completed. If you are approved, you will be added to the visiting list and the offender will be notified.

An individual may be on the approved visiting list of only one offender at any one time unless an exception is granted by the facility Superintendent.

What identification is needed?

Visitors aged 16 and older must present a current piece of photo identification.

Will I be searched?

All visitors, their belongings, vehicles, and any container and/or bag that are brought onto the institution grounds could possibly be searched.

Is there a dress code for visitors?

Yes. Only clothing that is conservative, modest and meets the following standards is acceptable:

· All clothing must be clean and in good repair. All buttons or closures must be fastened to the degree necessary to maintain modesty.
· All visitors must wear socks, stockings, or pantyhose.
· Undergarments must be worn. Male visitors must wear boxer shorts, briefs or long underwear. Female visitors, as determined appropriate, must wear briefs, brassieres, and pantyhose, leotards, or nylons. Briefs must be worn with dresses or skirts.

Visitors should not wear clothing that is difficult to search (i.e., excessive pockets or padding, layering of one outer garment over another, etc.

The following clothing is not allowed:
· Items with holes, rips or tears;
· Low cut items exposing undergarments, cleavage or back;
· Sheer, transparent or mesh fabrics;
· Tight fitting clothing (which includes, but is not limited to, jeans, spandex, lycra or other stretch, rubberized or elasticized garments);
· Clothing that refers to obscenity, alcohol, drugs or sex in any form;
· Culottes, shorts, cutoffs, halter tops, tank tops, sleeveless blouses or shirts;
· Thongs or shower shoes, quilted snow or foul-weather style boots or shoes;
· Dresses/skirts with hemlines or slits higher than 3” above the center of the knee;
· Wrap around clothing with full length openings;
· Skirts that are so tight that they may prohibit search;
· Camouflage clothing;
· Bibbed attire (overalls, etc.);
· Money belts or belts with compartments;
· Excessive jewelry or non-searchable jewelry styles;· Headgear, wigs, or excessive hair ornaments unless
medically required (and written verification is provided) or part of a religious practice; or
· Any item considered to be a threat to the security and safety of offenders, visitors or staff.

How should mail be addressed?

To ensure delivery of your correspondence, you must include your return address and address the envelope as follows:

Offender Name and DOC Number
Name of the Institution and Housing Unit
Post Office Box or Street Address
City, State and Zip Code

Is mail inspected?

Yes. All incoming and outgoing mail will be inspected by facility staff. Mail is examined to prevent offenders from receiving or sending contraband or any other material that may compromise the safety and security of the facility.

Stamps, cash and personal checks may not be mailed to an inmate.

PERSONAL PROPERTY

How do offenders get personal property other than what is provided by the facility?

Offenders may acquire personal property only through the following sources:
· Store orders;
· Purchasing items directly from an approved vendor;
· Quarterly package received from family or friends; and
· Educational or religious programs.

Offenders in work release are allowed personal property that supports finding and maintaining employment.

OFFENDER TRUST ACCOUNT

Each offender has a non-interest bearing offender trust account where funds are deposited. Withdrawals may be made for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to:

· Postage;
· Recreation user fees;
· Education;
· Health care co-payments;
· Store purchases;
· Legal financial obligations as ordered by the county of conviction;
· Child support enforcement; and/or
· Debts

Offenders are not allowed to directly or indirectly transfer funds to another offender’s account or exchange funds or items of value with staff, other offenders, volunteers, or sponsors.

May I send money to an offender?

You may mail a money order only, to be deposited to an offender’s trust account. When doing so, you must include the offender’s full name and DOC number on the money order.

Postal money orders are recommended.

NOTE: Some institutions require that you be on the offender’s approved visiting list prior to sending a money order.

Please be sure to verify with the offender whether this applies to his/her facility.

Money sent into the prison for offender use is subject to mandatory deductions of 35 percent, as directed by the law (RCW 72.09.480), which include:

· Savings - 10 percent of the amount;
· Crime Victims Compensation - 5 percent; and
· Cost of Incarceration - 20 percent.

The 10 percent for savings is put into an account for the offender and is not accessible until his/her time of release, unless an emergent request is made by the offender and approved by Department management.

Crime victims' compensation is sent to the Department of Labor and Industries to assist victims of crime. This is not associated with the offender’s Judgment and Sentence.

Cost of incarceration is sent to Correctional Industries, Department of Corrections, to support the work programs designed to assist offenders with job opportunities.

Additionally, some or all of the following deductions may apply depending on each offender’s individual obligations and the balance remaining after the mandatory deductions are withheld:

· Twenty percent to legal financial obligations (LFOs);
· Fifteen percent to the Division of Child Services;
· One hundred percent to a non-LFO court order;
· Twenty percent to the offender’s Department of Corrections’ debt; and/or
· Twenty percent to the Prison Litigation Reform Act.

When are deposits credited to an offender’s trust account?

Funds are deposited to the offender’s trust account within three working days of the date on the mailroom receipt. After mandatory deductions and debt collection, the remaining funds are available to the offender.

HEALTH SERVICES

How does an offender make an appointment with health care staff?

When an offender arrives at a Department facility, an orientation is provided that describes the facility’s particular procedure for requesting to see health care staff. Usually, offenders who want medical or dental care must submit a written request (kite) which will be screened and prioritized. Appointments are scheduled by health care staff. Emergency medical care is provided as necessary.

FAMILY CONCERNS AND SUGGESTIONS

Who can I contact outside of the facility level?

You may direct inquiries and correspondence to the Department’s Correspondence Unit. Staff members in this unit are able to answer questions and/or direct you to an appropriate staff who can provide assistance:

Department of Corrections
Correspondence Unit
PO Box 41118
Olympia, WA 98504-1118
Phone: (360) 725-8201
Fax: (360) 664-4056
Internet Address: doccorrespondence@doc1.wa.gov

Some of the information here is outdated, so please visit their site for correct information. You can find all of the prisons info on their site.

doc.wa.gov/ facilities/prison/wcc/ default.asp (remove spaces)