View Full Version : Everything you will need to know about Shelton (Washington Correctional Center)

JJT
04-15-2004, 11:17 AM
I thought I would take a minute or two and put together some basic information regarding the Classification Process at Washington Correction Center (WCC) in Shelton, WA. This is by no means meant to be the absolute on every situation, and I am sure I will forget some details.

The best place to start gathering information is the web site, www.doc.wa.gov (http://www.doc.wa.gov/). There is 76 page Inmate Friends and Family Guide that can be both confusing and helpful!!

This next bit is straight from the DOC web site:

The Reception Center receives all male felons from the county jails, with the exception of offenders sentenced to the death penalty. Upon completion of the reception/diagnostic processes, offenders are classified and transferred to other facilities to serve their sentence. The Reception Center also serves as an in-transit facility for offenders being transferred from one facility to another. Because of the transitional nature of Reception Center offenders, work programs are limited.

Upon arriving, your fellahs will probably be assigned to an R Unit (R for receiving). Each unit has their own visiting schedule and I am only familiar with R-4. In order to visit, the guys have to mail you a Visitation Form, and it has to be approved by the DOC. This whole process takes a couple of weeks.

Visiting days are Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Visiting hours depend on which unit your guy is assigned to. Visits are limited to ONE VISIT per weekend. Of course there are exceptions for out of state visitors, with prior approval from the Visiting Sergeant and they must be pre-approved, and you must show proof of residence and your hotel/motel bill. Most R Unit visits are behind glass.

As far as mail is concerned, please read the Visitors Guide for the do’s and don’ts. But if you feel like you just can’t wait for the first letter from your fellah to write, it is okay to call the Mail Room for his Unit number. If you are lucky enough to have Officer Barb answer the phone, she will run down the rules with you.

The average length your guy will be in Shelton depends on “bed availability” of the final destination prison, but it seems to be running about 3 months.

If I have left anything out or you have further questions, Please PM me and I will be happy to answer.

JJT

Blue Fish
04-15-2004, 11:51 AM
So while they are in reception, you can only visit once out of all 3 days? Is that only while in reception or afterwards also?
My husband and I are thinking of having him transfer up to WA to be closer to us, and I have a lot of details that I have to get answered. I was told to call the visiting Srgt. on Friday... I think his name was Srgt. Kelley?

JJT
04-15-2004, 01:27 PM
Sgt Kelley is very easy to get along with!! Just make the call and set up the arrangements.

Normally, visits for the R Units (receiving) is once a weekend, at Shelton. Each prison facility has their own schedule.

woodcutter99
04-15-2004, 05:34 PM
JJT,

Thanks for the info. My son was transferred to Shelton yesterday from Benton County.

The wife and I live in Walla Walla, so it's quite a drive over there, especially if we are only allowed to visit with him once per trip.

Just another case of the State, doing their best to "aid and assist the families", and help them to feel better about having a loved one locked away.

JJT
04-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Woodcutter... All guys make the trip to Shelton. Let's hope when he is re-assigned, they will send him back over the mountains!! Keep us posted as to where he will end up!

and call Sgt Kelley and make arrangements for 2 visits!!

agony
11-25-2004, 02:12 AM
Dear JJT,

Truly helpful and valuable information you share here.
I am VERY grateful for your kindness in making it much more efficient for people to learn about small things we would surely need but do not usualy seek in a Prison Guide. Please, please keep posting such specific, little facts that could only turn out to be very important :-)
I apologize should you find me demanding or spoiled but it is all because I would not even know where to start inquiring :-)

deep gratitude from

Me in Agony

agony
11-25-2004, 02:24 AM
I actually do not live in Seattle. I am only very often there through the trial and the motions and the sentencing.

I live in British Columbia, Canada. What would I, as an out-of-state visitor, need to know about visiting a close-custody inmate in Reception at Shelton? More importantly, could I visit the inmate as often as twice a weekend EVERY WEEKEND or just the first few weeks? Like in County Jail, out-of-state people get three special visits in every three months. If you have used all these in less than three months, then you'd have to wait until 90 days from the last special visit. Hence in county jail, out-of-state visitors obtain restricted special visits. But how about in Reception center? Would the twice-a-weekend privilage be in effect for as long as the inmate is still there? Or is it a stable privilage for out-of-state visitors? :-)

Thanks so much for the wonderful help.

JJT
11-25-2004, 09:39 AM
It is not a stable privilage for out-of-state visitors? IT is at the discretion of the Visiting Officer.

You would have to pre-arrange visiting twice in one weekend at reception. And no... they will not let you do it evey weekend that he is in reception.

Call the Visiting Seargent and get a double visit pre-approved. Then keep trying for the next weekend, then the next weekend. It doesn't hurt to keep asking, but be prepared for a flat NO after the first special visit.

I lived in Oregon when Fellah has in reception, and was able to get double visits two weekends in a row. But nothing after that. I was still able to go once a weekned, so I chose the session with the longer visiting hours.

Also, all reception visiting is done behind glass. But at least they have microphones so you don't have to hang onto the stupid phone.

JJT

agony
11-25-2004, 11:41 AM
Dear JJT.

Could you help me with the phone number I could call at Shelton, please? I hink you are correct that the best way to answer (and raise newly thought questions) by phone :-)

JJT
11-25-2004, 08:09 PM
Link to more information regarding Shelton (in the Prison Profile sub-forum)
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60276

Phone number: (360) 426-4433

MARYGONZALEZ
02-08-2005, 09:30 AM
I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTIONS AND LETTING ME KNOW WHERE I CAN GET OTHER HELPFUL INFORMATION. I DID TRY TO ACCESS THE VISITORS HANDBOOK BUT I KEPT RECIEVING AN ERROR MESSAGE. I CAUGHT MOST OF THE INFO, EXCEPT WHAT I NEED NOW IS THE DO'S AND DON'TS OF MAIL. I THINK I AM #1 ON THEIR LIST OF DON'TS BECAUSE MY BABY HAS ONLY RECIEVED 7 OF 30ish LETTERS. ONLY ONE OF THOSE HAVE RETURNED DUE TO INSUFFICIENT POSTAGE BUT NO MORE. IS THERE ANOTHER LOCATION FOR THEIR RULES??

JJT
02-08-2005, 10:14 AM
30-ish letters!! He is a lucky guy!!

Have you received any Mail Rejection notices? If not, then the mail could still be in the mailroom, on its way to your guy.

I am surprised though, Shelton is usually very good about getting the mail through. Mail that Shelton let through was rejected at AHCC.

The only mail information that I know of is what is in the Visitors Guide, and the DOC won't let it be copied and pasted. Go figure.

JJT

DKs_Heartbraker
04-01-2006, 05:04 PM
I have found the mail system at Shelton to be very sufficient. In the past 2+ weeks I have sent around 5 letters, only 1 of which was rejected (i got the rejection notice) and have recieved 3 letters as well. Compared to Pierce County Jail, I am pleased with WCC mail promptness!!!!!

Mikey's mom
04-02-2006, 11:40 PM
DKs_Heartbraker,
You'll find everything about WCC is better than Pierce County.
Shelton receiving was wonderful, the corrections officers actually treat you like a person.
I was so tired of being treated like dirt in PC. :angry:
My sister works for PC jail and told me to complain, but I was always afraid it would be taken out on my son. :( Since he's been with WCC (about a year now) I have had maybe two letters returned because I placed my coffee cup on them and the stains were unknown substance. Things are now a little better to handle since I don't have to visit at PC.
I don't get to visit much, but at least I'm not treated like dirt.

arf
04-03-2006, 12:30 PM
My son was in Shelton recently, for six weeks, while in transit to another facility. We live in Shelton and were able to visit him all three days, Friday, Saturday and Sunday with no special permission. He could have up to five visitors at a time, and sometimes people would wait outside for 1 or 2 to leave and then they would go in to see him, so it wasn't just 5 people per day, but 5 visitors at a time. I don't know if this is usual procedure, but the visiting room was usually almost empty. The guards were very nice and very helpful and the visiting room was real nice.

Just a note, though: the visiting schedule is changing, I think on April 14th..there will be visiting Friday-Monday on a temporary basis, but the hours are changing, too.

luvhimalways
05-31-2006, 10:46 AM
Hi, My husband is on his way to the R units and I need some info. Are phone calls allowed in reception and does anybody know the exact amount they are allowed to spend while in reception? Also do they shop once a month or is it every week? There is one more thing. I have some past felonies from CA that the conviction dates were over 10 years ago. I do have a Federal Felony conviction from 2003 that I recently discharged my probation on. IS this going to be a problem in getting approved? We do have a child together. ANY help would be appreciated.

JustLisa
06-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Hi, My husband is on his way to the R units and I need some info. Are phone calls allowed in reception and does anybody know the exact amount they are allowed to spend while in reception? Also do they shop once a month or is it every week? There is one more thing. I have some past felonies from CA that the conviction dates were over 10 years ago. I do have a Federal Felony conviction from 2003 that I recently discharged my probation on. IS this going to be a problem in getting approved? We do have a child together. ANY help would be appreciated.

Hello and welcome... Yes, he will get phone calls in reception. He will have to wait to get his pin number which takes a few days, sometimes the guys will borrow someone else's pin number, so if you get a collect call from some other name you don't know be warned, it could be him. They only get to call about once a day, as they are typically in their cells the majority of the time in reception.

I don't know the specific answer about the shopping, I THINK it's every week.. but someone else might know that answer better.

I do know that WA is pretty strict in regards to getting approved to visit if you have a previous felony. I have a friend whose husband was in and she had felonies, but she was done with supervision. It took her several appeals and phone calls and letters from her previous P.O. to be able to be approved for no-contact visits. I would be prepared in case that happens to you too.

Good luck...

c~r
06-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Okay I dont have any felonies but I do have misdemearners <dont know how to spell< So will those make me not able to visit? And for recieving when you visit is it behind window or actual contact visits? one more question sorry Do you have to be related to the inmate or is it ok for girlfriend/friend to visit?

JustLisa
06-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Okay I dont have any felonies but I do have misdemearners <dont know how to spell< So will those make me not able to visit? And for recieving when you visit is it behind window or actual contact visits? one more question sorry Do you have to be related to the inmate or is it ok for girlfriend/friend to visit?

I am not sure if the misdemeanors will make you not be able to visit or not.. The receiving visits are behind the glass..
You don't have to be related to visit..
No question is stupid so don't worry about that ..
Take care!

kellil
06-10-2006, 09:52 AM
It is fairly easy to get approved at shelton. It seems quicker, and more user friendly if you apply there. Although, sometimes the hard copy visitors list gets lost, it still is faster. It usually only takes a couple weeks there. Sometimes the main institutions take a lot longer.

kellil
06-10-2006, 09:53 AM
If they are there "in transit" you cant visit.

pkids98312
07-16-2006, 02:05 AM
my first visit was last weekend and i got to see him for 3 1/2 hrs. it has been 4 months since i got to see him. aside from him getting in trouble for talking to another visitor it was a nice visit. the guards were very nice and it was a contact visit even though he is still in recieving.

His Bandaid
11-09-2006, 10:07 PM
My man should be there anyday. How soon should I contact the facility to see if he's there. Hes going from county and he hasnt made a call the past 2 days, which is not normal, so I think he may have already gone up on the chain. So whats the best way to start all this visiting and mail info?

CJFX
06-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Please can some one tell me if there is a prison roster like they have for county jails, on line? Thank You, CJFX

GingerM edited in link:
Official DOC "Find an Offender" link: http://www.doc.wa.gov/offenderinfo/default.aspx

kellil
06-25-2007, 11:36 AM
No washington doesnt have anything like but you can call Shelton directly during normal business hours. They are real helpful!

cherokee82
07-29-2007, 03:25 AM
JJT: thanks for the info on shelton, my guy just got sent there 3 days ago from pierce county jail. The thing is, he is only going to be in for about 3 months, so if it takes that long for him to get a bed in another place, then he may be home before he gets to someplace else, another thing, we were hoping that our visits would be in person and not behind glass, we just wanted to touch each other, it has been so long. Do you know about work release? He is hoping he can get out to a forest camp to work, hopfully soon.
Thanks for the info.
cherokee82

hiyati
07-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Im scared, and new to the whole prison thing. How can i find out WHY he's there? And how long he'll be there?? He left RJC today, but didnt get to Shelton before the phones closed. Im so scared, please can somebody help? Can he call my cell? Or does it have to be a landline? Is it possible he's in there cause his jail was too full?? PLEASE HELP!!!

cherokee82
07-31-2007, 02:16 AM
Hello, Hiyati I am cherokee82, its going to be ok. take a deep breath and relax for just a minute ok. I know it's scary but he will be ok, my man just got sent to shelton a few days ago and this system is new to me also, if I give you my email address could you give me your guys name and I could ask my man to see if he is in the same unit as he is and maybe he can watch out for him and we could help each other out? my email is (edited per PTO Policy)Do you know what he was county for? lets start there and see what we can find out ok. But please just calm down, it will do you no good to make yourself sick with worry.
In the same boat in washington cherokee82

hiyati
07-31-2007, 01:53 PM
Okay- cherokee82 told me to calm down, the same advice that my mother has been telling me. Oddly, it seems more significant coming from you.
I stayed up all night reading everything on Shelton that was on this site. I found out alot of awesome information. So when they opened at 8AM i was ready with my list of questions. And you guys were right! They are SUPER nice!!! He WAS transferred to Shelton due to space in the jail system. Bizarre to me, but i guess thats how they do it. So i asked how i can write to him... HE'S ALREADY BEEN TRANSFERRED!!! He's in Monroe for the remainder of his sentance...21 days! Im psyched!!! I will stay on this blog site until he's back in my arms, cause you guys are so wonderful. THANK YOU!!!!

-Melissa

kellil
08-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Its going to be ok remember to BREATH!!!!! He will get home to you soon!!!! I am glad he got moved it makes it easier for him to access the phones etc.

veviksgirl
08-29-2007, 10:15 AM
I am having the hardest time trying to find out hoe to send my boyfriend some books. The problem is that he wants a NA Basic Text and An AA Big Book along with some other regular books. Does anyone know How do I go about doing this. Do I need a special form or anything? Can I but some books from 2 different places and send them in? Please Help Soon He REALLY wants these!!:o

JustSteph
08-29-2007, 10:30 AM
veviksgirl-

DOC only accepts books from approved vendors.

Inmate books can NOT come directly from the family/friend. They can only come direct from a vendor.

You do not need any special forms. Inmates can recieve (I believe) up to three books per week. (depending on facility rules).

Amazon.com and Barnes&Noble are both approved vendors.

Amazon carries both of the books mentioned above also. I didn't check B&N cause I just prefer Amazon.

JCLW
08-30-2007, 02:10 AM
What Dougiez said is true for everywhere but Receiving in Shelton. If he is in population, he can receive books. But if he's in receiving, you'll need to wait to send things until he gets elsewhere.

tommy's_girl
08-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Inmates cannot receive books while still in receiving at Shelton. And the upper R units get contact visits in the visiting room where you can sit at a table together and play board games and such. Hold hands the whole time...

tommy's_girl
08-30-2007, 07:24 PM
So, I was reading through these posts, and some of the information is inaccurate...

You can visit more than once per weekend, no special arrangements are needed.
And, the upper R's (R-5,6 &7) are contact visits!!! You can hug and kiss and hold hands. Have your man send you a visiting schedule. Otherwise, you can call the facility: (360) 426-4433 to find out more information. They are friendly there. I've visited in Lewis County and Thurston County, and at WSP in Walla Walla, and I must say that WCC in Shelton, has been the best so far.

kellil
08-30-2007, 08:54 PM
LOL! I agree with you on this one!

amandaleigh8607
09-07-2007, 10:37 PM
how do i get a hold of someones number so that I can write them? my ex is in shelton and I wanted to write him but I dont have his doc number so I cant. How do I got about getting that information?

Amanda Leigh

JCLW
09-08-2007, 12:46 AM
Welcome to PTO. Washington now has an Inmate Locator. Just click on the link below. All you need is his name or his DOC number. Good luck.
http://www.doc.wa.gov/

momofns
12-21-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm hoping I was able to sent books from amazon now that my son has been moved to another part of shelton. I ordered two for him to be sent. He is also now in an upper unit so when I'm approved, I guess it will not be behind glass now.

JCLW
12-22-2007, 01:20 AM
That will be nice for you, to be able to see your son again. Before you have anything sent to him, make sure he is able to receive it. My guy was in the upper R's but was not able to receive packages until he was transferred elsewhere. I had Amazon send him a Bible and he had to pay to have it sent to me. I guess he'll get it when he gets home in July.

momofns
12-22-2007, 02:04 PM
I guess if he does not get them, I'll get them to read and will keep sending him articles I have ran online, he's been getting those since he got there.

praying mom
01-01-2008, 02:35 PM
you can send articles to them from the paper or online? My son is also needing a bible but is in receiving. Also wondering since sometime he will be transferred out will he ever move up to the upper units or will he stay in receiving until time of transfer?

JJT
01-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Don't spend too much time sending stuff while he is still at Shelton. When they finally transfer out, they can't take anything with them.

Wait until he is at his final destination prison. Then send the bible. But remember that any books, including bibles, have to come from a publisher, or Amazon.com. You can't send him the bible.

Or he can request one from the Chaplan when he gets to where he is going.

He will stay in the R Units for his entire time at Shelton.

JJT

praying mom
01-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Thank you for your information. He is assuming he will probably go to Coyote Ridge if there is bed space. His release date is July 25th. He mentioned not to come and visit him until he was moved up to the upper units so we could have contact visits.....so you think he will stay in recieving during his time at Shelton? Also, I had a question about sending money.....can you send 9 dollar money orders for spendable account so nothing is taken out? I sent one fifty and 55% was taken out. Or are the 9 dollar money orders for postage only? Thank you so much for your replies.:)

momofns
01-14-2008, 01:59 PM
I no longer have to go to Shelton as my son has been transferred to Walla Walla. He thought he was going to be there three months, only there one and my visitation approval has not gone through yet. He was in R4.

praying mom
01-14-2008, 09:39 PM
I no longer have to go to Shelton as my son has been transferred to Walla Walla. He thought he was going to be there three months, only there one and my visitation approval has not gone through yet. He was in R4.

Wow, he was only there one month? I've got the same situation here my son has been in Shelton for 3weeks and my visitation approval has gone through yet either. I suppose when it does I will need to call to make sure he is still there....did his counselor tell him where or when he was going beforehand? I thought they were in Shelton for at least 2 months. This whole thing is depressing having a son in prison and you start to learn the ropes in one facility and then they are transferred. Im scared to death to as where he will be going. Its his first time in prison and for a non violent crime and his current cell mate is in there for first degree murder awaiting a life sentence! They should probably pair them up a little better in my opinion. My son says its cool and not to worry.....ha! I think my son is in R4 now to....I know he got moved to the upper level last week........standinging in the gap and praying (mostly for when he returns into society in 6 mos.....that will probably be even scarier!)
Praying mom

momofns
01-17-2008, 09:25 AM
My son has a longer sentence, he thinks that gets you placed sooner. He talked to my sister yesterday and told her his choices had been 1. Monroe, 2. Clallam Bay, 3. Walla Walla; he is at Walla Walla. I guess like I have read in many posts, maybe if they requested what they really want as last choice they might get it. All his family is on the west side of WA. I guess I'll adjust, if only I could see him.

krislovesbilly
02-19-2008, 07:20 PM
what are other aproved vendors for shelton for cloths

LaceyNRoyce
02-19-2008, 09:53 PM
I don't think Shelton Approves packages or items being sent in. My Fiance just left there and he wasn't able to have his own clothes sent it. Once he gets to his parent prison he can have clothes either sent in our ordered from magazines it depends on the institution.

PhilB
02-20-2008, 11:47 PM
Only the resident population at Shelton (WCC) can receive packages. New inmates in receiving units cannot get packages. When they get to their regular institution they can have packages, but only within that institutions local policies. So be sure to have him check the local policy on property before sending anything.

dakota421
02-22-2008, 12:21 AM
where do you find inmates mug shots?

JJT
02-22-2008, 01:00 AM
Only a few of the county jails have mug shots on the internet while the person is in their facility. I don't know of any state wide link to mug shots.

skandelous'wife
05-29-2008, 03:02 PM
does anyone know about how they are classifying in shelton now? My husband said his brother told him they changed it and he is getting ready to be sent out to shelton in about 3 weeks. There is a point system and we are trying to figure out if he is going to be closed custody or not! If anyone knows how their point systems working now days since it has changed id appreciate the information!!
Thanks!

codasgirl04
05-29-2008, 06:40 PM
skandelous wife- My fiance is at Shelton right now, he's been there since last week and being sent to another place very soon, within the first two weeks he had seen a counselor, your husband needs to put out a kite as soon as he gets there to talk to his counselor, they will then classify him once he sees his counselor until then he will remain in the lower r-units, they do go by the point system, it all depends on there prior convictions if any what there crime is. Mine was one point away from being classified medium and is maxed out, which means he is 23 hrs. in and one hour out, basically you won't know until he gets there what points he will be at, i think if i remember correctly it was like 40 points was maxed out or maybe or 35. I have a lot of info about Shelton since mine is still there so feel free to pm me or ask something on here

codasgirl04
05-30-2008, 12:57 PM
i meant to say he's been there since last month ooopppssss....

dragonfly 1
05-31-2008, 10:44 AM
My son was in Shelton, and had been evaluated and would have been gone in the third week if he hadn't been brought back to Skagit County to be charged with another crime. Even so, he was only back there three weeks, and has now been transferred to Walla Walla. He got there this past Thursday. That's the day they transfer prisoners.

skandelous'wife
06-03-2008, 03:08 AM
right I know all that, but the point system changed. Or at least that is what my brother-in-law said. I guess they are starting with more points or something but how many is the question. I forgot to ask him when he called the other day...

codasgirl04
11-23-2008, 03:20 PM
I figure this post should go here b/c there is new guests and people on here all the time and it can be overwhelming
this was my experience at shelton

he was in R-4 which is basically in lockdown
when they first get to shelton they will be in the lower r units, those are the non-contact visits ( behind glass) they should be there less then two weeks
there is about 10 phones outside and about double inside, please keep in mind that there is ALWAYS long lines waiting for the phones, so if he doesn't call the same time that he always does don't panic.
At anytime there can be up to 3 inmates in a cell. It is noisy in there, there are fights, alot of "politics" the guards let them out when they want to not when your man wants them to.
Make friends with the visiting guards, just b/c they work there they are not your enemy in fact they can help you out alot.
it can take over 4 weeks for your visitation to be approved and your children's application can take longer!
they can be there up to two months for him to be transferred, he will get a bag usually the night before he is transferred.
Shelton is a receiving prison, in the first couple of weeks it will be very hectic with testing, getting to know his counselor etc.
don't panic if he doesn't call you.
i hope this helps

jamesd1
05-23-2009, 01:51 AM
DO children have to be approved. I am approved and want to take our 3 year old Granddaugther. Anyone know

tomegirl223
08-15-2009, 12:38 AM
i found out that IMU and R 1-3 inmates in shelton can not have contact visits. my husband will be transferred there next week and im wondering how they determine who goes to what unit (1-7). is it possible for him to be in something other than R 1-3?

codasgirl04
09-01-2009, 01:10 PM
tome~ every inmate goes to the lower r's first which is what you described they stay there for a few days to a few weeks then get transferred to the upper r's, keep in mind it also takes a few weeks for your visit to get approved

Resalicious
08-12-2010, 03:34 AM
my boyfriend will be heading over to Shelton next Tuesday. Thank you for posting the address for Shelton, but does anyone know if the DOC # is the same number that he utilized while at Pierce County, or does he get assigned a whole different number? i'd like to have a letter there waiting for him or arrive shortly after he does but wondered about the DOC #. Can someone help me with that? Thanks, Resalicious

PhilB
08-12-2010, 05:44 AM
County jail numbers are not used. DOC will issue a permanent ID number which he will have for life (even he is back in prison on a new charge years later it will be the same).

He will be given his number upon arrival and he can mail it to you or tell you over the phone. DOC numbers are required on letters ( written in after their name). It will also be available on the inmate locator (http://www.doc.wa.gov/offenderinfo/default.aspx) soon after his arrival to Shelton WCC (http://www.doc.wa.gov/facilities/prison/wcc/default.asp).

Resalicious
08-12-2010, 06:37 PM
THanks PhilB for your help. i was trying to be cute and have a letter arrive shortly after his arrival to Shelton, but good thing I didn't cause it would've gotten sent back. Is the inmate locator something I can access before he even calls or writes me to tell me his DOC number? SOrry for all the questiosn but I appreciate your help. Resalicious

PhilB
08-13-2010, 01:39 AM
The inmate locator can be used anytime. The problem with new arrivals is we have to wait for DOC to put him in the system so it will show up..

Resalicious
08-13-2010, 04:12 AM
Got it PhilB, you've been extremely helpful...thank you

JessVolley18
09-26-2016, 12:51 AM
My husband is going to be going to Shelton this Tuesday the 27th and I was wondering if he is going to be able to receive letters while in receiving? He wasn't sure and I am really hoping that I'm going to be able to write to him during that time.

JessVolley18
09-26-2016, 01:03 AM
My husband is going to be transferred to Shelton from Pierce County Jail on Tuesday the 27th. Pierce County Jail is horrible with numerous things. I'm not happy that he is going to prison by any means but I am definitely glad that he will no longer be at Piece County Jail. It's so hard to get anything accomplished at that place. So I know how you were feeling. Yikes!!!

GingerM
09-26-2016, 07:30 AM
My husband is going to be going to Shelton this Tuesday the 27th and I was wondering if he is going to be able to receive letters while in receiving? He wasn't sure and I am really hoping that I'm going to be able to write to him during that time.

Once you have his ID# and as long as you use the correct address, you should be able to send him mail, and he should receive it, even while in receiving.

JessVolley18
09-26-2016, 10:15 AM
Can they get pictures in receiving also?

Once you have his ID# and as long as you use the correct address, you should be able to send him mail, and he should receive it, even while in receiving.

GingerM
09-26-2016, 06:09 PM
I believe so, although I haven't personally tried. You should be able to send a photograph to him as long as it meets all the other rules (thickness of envelope, number of sheets etc).

That said, bear in mind that anything you send to him in receiving, he will have to carry with him to wherever he ends up, so I wouldn't send too many things that he'll have to lug around with him (like books), or too many things he'll be emotionally attached to (like a LOT of pictures) or he'll have an awful time 'moving' to his home institution.

jen1220
09-26-2016, 06:38 PM
Can they get pictures in receiving also?

My boyfriend is currently at Shelton. I write to him every other day and send pictures, I've never had anything rejected. No perfume or lipstick kisses on the letters and no more than 10 pictures in an envelope.