View Full Version : McConnell Prison Unit - Beeville, Texas

tmcintosh
07-14-2003, 02:35 PM
My husband left this morning on the chain headed for the McConnell Unit. He will first stop at the Robertson Unit and then to McConnell. I know it's located down by Corpus Christ which is 395.19 miles - 6 hours, 39 minutes away from home. Does anyone know the ropes at McConnell? When he gets there, how long is it before he's allowed a visit? Just curious and can't believe he is that far away from me now. Just another test of our love I guess. I will keep on keeping on! Thanks, Terri

Trulykath
07-14-2003, 10:21 PM
Terri,

I don't know much about McConnell.....I will keep your hubs in my thoughts and prayers.....you take care of you, and let us know when you get ready to visit. You should qualify for special visits with the distance, and we can give you pointers on what to wear, etc.

Stay strong,
kath

majdi
07-15-2003, 08:38 AM
the mcconnell unit sucks! it's old and dirty looking. it's out there with both garza units. beeville is ok tho. good bbq! i don't think your hubby will like it there. i've been there many times while my cousin was housed there for around 4 yrs before being move to another unit. he went to the connally unit in kenedy which was no better (it's the same unit where the texas 7 escaped from). it wasn't a bad drive for me coming from houston. it was about 2 and a half hours drive staight down 59 south. he's been to 7 different units during the last 13 yrs . . .

tmcintosh
07-15-2003, 07:31 PM
Dangit, for some reason, I had a feeling that it was an old prison. Micheal has been in for 12 years and has traveled around alot! For 5 years he has was in New Boston - Telford Unit and then the past 4 in Iowa Park - Allred. I am curious to know who makes the decision on where to send people? He currently has an extorsion case against him (posted on one of the threads here).

denvermommy
08-08-2003, 01:11 AM
I'M TRYING TO FIND MY SONS DAD HES IN BEEVILLE GARZA WEST WHAT THAT MEAN ?

majdi
08-08-2003, 08:14 AM
GARZA WEST (NH)

ID - Transfer Facility

Unit Address/Phone:
HC 02 Box 995, Beeville, Texas 78102 / (361) 358-9890 (**095)

Unit Location:
4 miles east of Hwy 181 South on Hwy 202 in Bee County

Senior Warden:
Orlando Perez

Regional Director:
Robert Treon, Region IV

Date Unit Established/On Line:
May 1994

Total Employees*:

Security Employees*:
Non-Security Employees*:

Windham/Education Employees*:
Contract Medical Employees*:

Offender Population*/Gender:
2,060 / Male

Maximum Capacity*:

Custody Levels Housed:
G1 G4 (Intake)

Approximate Acreage:
271 (Co-located with Garza East)

Agricultural Operations:
Regional Pest Control, Texas Gleaning Food Bank Program

Industrial Operations:
None

Facility Operations:
Southwest Region Operations & Maintenance Headquarters, Unit Maintenance

Transportation/Supply Operations:
Mechanical Shop, Southwest Region Motor Pool, Freight Dispatch Office

Additional Operations:
Offender Intake/Receiving, Southwest Region Offender Transportation

Medical Capabilities:
Ambulatory medical, dental and mental health services. Managed by UTMB.

Educational Programs:
Literacy/GED/Reading, CHANGES/Pre-Release, Project RIO

Additional Programs:
Substance Abuse Education and Support Groups, Spiritual Growth Programs

Community Work Projects:
Services provided to city agencies.

Volunteer Programs:
Chaplaincy, Education, Substance Abuse

ranae
11-02-2003, 10:42 AM
My husband is at the McConnell Unit.Watch what you wear to the visits those people are tripping.I wore a nice dress past the knees the sleaves were only about 2 inches long it was not revealing in any way but they said I could not wear a sleaveless dress, then one time I wore a sweater they said it had small holes that you could see through,Please.Then just last weekend had on a short jacket had a shirt on tucked in, but Jacket was to short. I can't stand that place. They mess with me I know because I'm white my Husband is black. They tried to give me a hard time about us kissing before and after the visit. That was the last straw I went to the Warden I am a tax payer and I will not be talked down to,I will be treated with respect when I go to visit. After my talk with the Warden I had no more trouble from that Officer a few times I went it took them over an hour to get him out to the visit.They try and push your buttons but know you have rights and don't let them get away with it.

majdi
11-03-2003, 07:34 AM
My brother is still at the Dalhart Unit, but my cousin has been transferred to the Darrington Unit which is about 30 miles south of downtown Houston. Having been built in 1917, Darrington is the second oldesst prison in the system.

CenTexLyn
11-03-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by majdi
Having been built in 1917, Darrington is the second oldesst prison in the system.

Not exactly accurate. Both the Huntsville Unit and Jester Unit date to the middle 1800's. Back then, Jester was not known as Jester. Also, much the same as Eastham (also online during 1917), the bulk of the construction at Darrington does not date to 1917. Standard telephone pole construction...

To tmcintosh, McConnell isn't an old unit, per se. It is actually one of the newer facilities in the State, having been built during the construction onslaught of the early 1990's. It is what is referred to by the agency as a Michael-type or 2250 facility, although expansion has since increased the capacity of the Michael-type facilities.

Amelia
11-03-2003, 12:15 PM
what is a michael type facility?????

CenTexLyn
11-03-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Amelia
what is a michael type facility?????

The Michael Unit was the first unit built of the 2250-bed design approved by the Court in Ruiz. It went online in the fall of 1987. For those that were working with the agency at the time, they became known as a Michael-type and were also referred to as 2250 units. Some inmates around at the time got to where they called them by some of the same names, and even into the late 90's, there were still family and offenders that knew that style of unit as a Michael-type. There were also some less favorable names given by security staff because of the potential for problems that the design could contribute to.

I really don't know why a unit name never stuck in discussing the 1000-bed facilities...but we always just referred to them as 1000-bed units.

majdi
11-03-2003, 02:07 PM
thanks for the correction, centexlyn!

MissOne
11-04-2003, 04:42 PM
This guy whom i have grown to care for alot is housed in McConnell Unit. He should have me on his list by December and I plan to go visit no later than January. If any of you ladies live in Dallas and would like to carpool please PM me. I am willing to take my car if you can help with the driving and gas.

MissOne
11-04-2003, 04:42 PM
I have a pen pal in the MIcheals Unit also. Same offer applies.