View Full Version : Middle River Regional Jail

dwfighterva
04-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Opened April, 2006 and covers Augusta County, Waynesboro and Staunton. Visits are non-contact through the glass. They can have 2 - 15 minute visits on their visiting day. Example - Saturday between 8:00am and 10:45am. Family can be on the visiting list plus one 'special friend'. This has to be done before you can visit. The same person cannot come back in for a second visit the same day.

You have to fill out a paper and show ID, go through a metal detector, then are taken into a large room with about 20 stations. You pick the seat to sit at and they come in the other side and find you. Glass is thick and some phones have lousy sound. Plus, with so many people talking and children yelling, it may be hard to hear. Get up and move to another seat.

Collect calls are handled by Inmate Telephone 1-814-949-3303 (www.inmatetelephone.com) (http://www.inmatetelephone.com%29). You can register online, see your calls almost immediately, and make payments online. Payments get credited to your account in about 15 minutes. You will get an email confirming it when it clears your account.

To get there, take exit 225 from I-81 and go west toward Route 11. Cross the tracks and turn right on Route 11. Right past Ingleside, at the traffic light, is a sign for Green Hill Industry and Technology Park, Technology Road, on your right. Turn right and follow it around to the left, past the juvenille center and into Middle River.

Daveswife
05-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Opened April, 2006 and covers Augusta County, Waynesboro and Staunton. Visits are non-contact through the glass. They can have 2 - 15 minute visits on their visiting day. Example - Saturday between 8:00am and 10:45am. Family can be on the visiting list plus one 'special friend'. This has to be done before you can visit. The same person cannot come back in for a second visit the same day.

You have to fill out a paper and show ID, go through a metal detector, then are taken into a large room with about 20 stations. You pick the seat to sit at and they come in the other side and find you. Glass is thick and some phones have lousy sound. Plus, with so many people talking and children yelling, it may be hard to hear. Get up and move to another seat.

Collect calls are handled by Inmate Telephone 1-814-949-3303 (www.inmatetelephone.com) (http://www.inmatetelephone.com%29). You can register online, see your calls almost immediately, and make payments online. Payments get credited to your account in about 15 minutes. You will get an email confirming it when it clears your account.

To get there, take exit 225 from I-81 and go west toward Route 11. Cross the tracks and turn right on Route 11. Right past Ingleside, at the traffic light, is a sign for Green Hill Industry and Technology Park, Technology Road, on your right. Turn right and follow it around to the left, past the juvenille center and into Middle River.

Well damn doesn't that sound fun. LOL

dwfighterva
05-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Well, figures as soon as I put in the address, they change it:

Middle River Regional Jail
Inmates Name
P. O. Box 2727
Staunton, VA 24402-2727

greent66
05-17-2006, 06:58 PM
How do i get info on an inmate? I have looked and called so many places to no avail...I am trying to find my son...went to visit him in the jail that he was sent to on May 8th and was told "hes not here"...my hubby has since been told that he's at new Middle River, I have called the number (540-643-2024) to find out if my son is there and they told me NO... H E L P

ceehatch
05-17-2006, 09:18 PM
The jail that he was at should know where he was sent to. Since you are family they should tell you. I would call back there and explain the situation. Good luck!

frontosa
06-04-2006, 12:37 PM
went to Middle River Regional Jail to see my Husband and was very disappointed with the shortness of time they gave us to talk. The claimed it was 15minutes but it felt like five. He wasn't sent their because he's a criminal. My Husband was sent their because the Judge got mad that he couldn't understand his questions. My husband is Bipolar and hasn't been taking his meds like he should for a year, so now he is in manic state. I feel that the judge should have sent him for a mental evaluation at a hospital instead of puting him in jail til his next trial date. The judge claimed he could get his medication in jail but I found out from the jail that they don't give out medication unless it is perscribed. My husband has been off of his medication for a year so he had no perscription. He got no help from the jail. so he still won't be ready to stand trial. Two weeks has been wasted making him sit in jail instead of a hospital. It makes know since to me. I thought jails was for people found guilty or charged with a hard crime. The judge shouldn't be allowed to put people in jail just because he feels like it. Now my husband has lost his job. The judicial system is questionable.:(

Daveswife
06-04-2006, 01:50 PM
went to Middle River Regional Jail to see my Husband and was very disappointed with the shortness of time they gave us to talk. The claimed it was 15minutes but it felt like five. He wasn't sent their because he's a criminal. My Husband was sent their because the Judge got mad that he couldn't understand his questions. My husband is Bipolar and hasn't been taking his meds like he should for a year, so now he is in manic state. I feel that the judge should have sent him for a mental evaluation at a hospital instead of puting him in jail til his next trial date. The judge claimed he could get his medication in jail but I found out from the jail that they don't give out medication unless it is perscribed. My husband has been off of his medication for a year so he had no perscription. He got no help from the jail. so he still won't be ready to stand trial. Two weeks has been wasted making him sit in jail instead of a hospital. It makes know since to me. I thought jails was for people found guilty or charged with a hard crime. The judge shouldn't be allowed to put people in jail just because he feels like it. Now my husband has lost his job. The judicial system is questionable.:(

I'm sorry it was such a bad experience for you. It can be tough at times, but don't let them break you down. Welcome to PTO and the VA forum!

frontosa
06-21-2006, 05:15 PM
What are the Middle River Regional Jail rules. Can you send your friend books or magizines? Personal hygene items? etc....

dwfighterva
06-21-2006, 08:06 PM
Magazine subcriptions have to be approved. You cannot send books directly to him, but you can donate some to the library since they don't really have one yet. He must buy everything from the commisary and it is expensive. They charge 41 cents for a 39 cent stamp, as an example.

dwfighterva
06-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Sorry, my information was wrong. You can send books as long as they are from a vendor and do not contain sex and violence. Magazines have to be approved and cannot have nudity, firearms, or violence. Like Soldier of Fortune is not allowed. Hope that helps.

frontosa
07-09-2006, 12:56 PM
I called Middle River Regional Jail to check when I could see my husband, and was told visitation was until 10:45am. I went to the jail thinking if I got their by 10:40am I would be able to see him,, but I was turned away and the guard said I had to be their by 10:30am. Why didn't they tell me that on the phone? I was so mad and upset that I cried. I thought it was pitiful how they acted about it. My husband has been in their for two months now because the Judge wanted him to have a mental evaluation to see if he was compitant to stand trial. The Judge originally put him their for two weeks, but now it has became two months and growing. He has lost his job, and now none of his kids has health insurance because of it. He has a daughter that just had a lung transplant, so now the hospital bill will probably cause a bankruptsy situation. I called Western State Hospital and talked with the doctor that is supose to do the testing and got know where. He gave me the impression he didn't care plus he told me he didn't know when he would get to the jail to do the testing. The doctor told me that it could be a month or more. A month has already passed since I had the conversation with the doctor and still know testing. His attorney Dana C from staunton doesn't seem concerned. I hate the lawyers that get paid no matter what kind of job they do for their clients. I think having to get an attorny is a high price way for them to run a scam and get by with it. Paying $190 dollars an hour for nothing is ridiculous. Doesn't any of the attornys have compassion, or do they just have greed?

dwfighterva
07-09-2006, 02:36 PM
I am sorry you have to go through this. Middle River is not very caring when it comes to inmates and their families. The way visiting works is you fill out the paper and show your ID. This takes a while and then the guy goes in the back for 15 minutes and comes out and calls names. You go in and find your loved one. They are VERY strict on the 15 minutes and kick you out so the next batch can come in.

As for the testing, I don't know what to tell you. Have you called the attorney and asked what is going on? Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

dw

frontosa
07-10-2006, 12:44 PM
I have called and called and called:angry:
I have to talk through glass when I visit my husband and the sad thing is he is not a violent person. You are right they are very uncarring and I guess thats why so many inmates are repeaters.They are not even treated as human.:mad:

dwfighterva
07-10-2006, 01:35 PM
I was told when the jail was designed, they would never have contact visits, no matter what. Even lawyers and ministers talk through the glass. The little rooms are the worst and you can't hear a thing with the air on.

Sad part is, when they first opened, they really treated inmates well. Only took 2 months for them to become jerks like all the others.

frontosa
07-19-2006, 03:23 PM
I would like a copy of the rules and regulations of middle river regional jail and what is their policy about visitation. I went this morning and I was their and fill out the nessisary paperwork by 8:30am. Their was about six people their to visit a loved one, but our forms was left untouched at the visitatiion desk untouched for 30 minutes. Why do they say visitation starts at 8:30am but they drag their feet until 9:00am? I went to the administration desk at 8:50 to inquire what the problem was since visitation was said to be at 8:30. She said with a surprised look "No one has been out their yet"? The guard showed at 9:00 claiming she forgot. I bet the guard won't forget to pick up their paycheck at the end of the week. I finally got back to see my husband at 9:15. I think their way of doing things needs an adjustment. I could see the delay if they was doing background checks but the filled out papers sat on the desk for 30 minutes before an attempt was made by the guard to come out. Who can I write to about this problem? I think we need to stand up for ourselves no matter what. Why does the guards feel the need to treat everyone like they are nothing? I am going to sit down and write a letter to the ediitor about this because it really disturbed me today. :angry:

dwfighterva
07-19-2006, 07:21 PM
I would like a copy of the rules and regulations of middle river regional jail and what is their policy about visitation.
Call there and ask one be mailed to you. 540-245-5420

Who can I write to about this problem?
Jack Lee is the Superintendent. Vernon Reynolds is the Asst. Supt. Write a letter and send copies to both of them.

Why does the guards feel the need to treat everyone like they are nothing?
Because they can.

I am going to sit down and write a letter to the ediitor about this because it really disturbed me today.
Do that! Also send a letter to the Jail Commission up there that oversees the jail. Get all your family to write as well. Stick to the facts and don't put emotion in as that clouds the issues. Good luck!!

Bigdadjr
07-19-2006, 07:45 PM
I'm new here, I live in Indiana and have a cousin in jail there, I haven't seen him in 30 years, and just found out that he was sentenced to life in prison last friday, I'm sure he will be moved somewhere else, but I'm having trouble finding out anything at all, news paper articles have been my only source of information, dose anyone know if I write to him and he has been moved, will they send any letters on to him? Do'es anyone know how the comissary thing works? how can I send him a little money?

dwfighterva
07-19-2006, 10:07 PM
I'm new here, I live in Indiana and have a cousin in jail there, I haven't seen him in 30 years, and just found out that he was sentenced to life in prison last friday, I'm sure he will be moved somewhere else, but I'm having trouble finding out anything at all, news paper articles have been my only source of information, dose anyone know if I write to him and he has been moved, will they send any letters on to him? Do'es anyone know how the comissary thing works? how can I send him a little money?

Welcome to PTO!! I am sorry about your cousin. If he was just sentenced and is at Middle River, he will eventually be taken into DOC and sent to a classification center. How soon depends on if they like him at Middle River or not. LOL! Sad, but true. If you want to send him money for commisary, you can find the address in the first couple posts of this thread since I know I put it in there. Get a money order from the post office or Western Union, send to the P. O. Box addressed to him and they will take it out and put it on his account. I do know that Middle River overcharges for everything. THey have to pay for that new jail one way or another.

Once he gets into DOC, you can mail it in, or go online and do JPay and it will get on their account quicker. Costs more though.

I am sure he will be glad to hear from you. Getting letters is a welcome surprise.

dw

missnUlikecrazy
08-17-2006, 10:43 AM
My boyfriend has been in there for maybe 2 weeks he was first at the Prince William ADC fro 2 yrs but now they won't tell us when he will be going to another facility on his Sentecing the judge said he would be heading to 2yrs in the State Pen. I don't know I feel so confused I wish i could see him but i moved to Georgia but i have plans of visiting him if anyone can tell their loved one to please tell him how much i miss him and love him...his name is JUAN and goes by Little Junior....I'd really appreciate it....

dwfighterva
08-17-2006, 08:54 PM
My boyfriend has been in there for maybe 2 weeks
he was first at the Prince William ADC for 2 yrs but now they won't
tell us when he will be going to another facility on his Sentecing the
judge said he would be heading to 2yrs in the State Pen.

I am sorry you are going through this. I want to help you but I have
questions for you first. He was in Prince William ADC for 2 years and
is now at Middle River? You can look up his court record here (http://wasdmz1.courts.state.va.us/CJISWeb/circuit.html)
if the county he was sentenced in is online.

Way it works is if over a year, they go into the DOC. There are three
classification and intake centers, depending on his level. He will be
there for up to 6 months and then be assigned to a more permanent
facility.

Please feel free to PM me, I will be glad to you help you all I can.

dw

thormcse
08-22-2006, 05:19 PM
What is the bull**it with the phones? I have to pay money to have to accecpt a collect call from my son. I fully agree with punishing criminals but this is punishing to tax paying law abiding citizens. It sucks. thank you

thormcse
08-23-2006, 05:57 PM
I replace the bull statement with dog do. I am sorry about that.

ceehatch
08-23-2006, 06:53 PM
I agree wholeheartedly that it 'bites'. Supposedly the new phone rates are suppose to save us money, but I don't think alot of people will agree with that. It not only puts more hardship on the families, but in some instances it takes away contact of inmate with their families (in the case where they can't afford the calls). Hopefully one of these days the state of Virginia will realize that inmates need the contact of their families in order for them to even want 'rehabilitation'. If you take away that, you take away their 'want' to do better, act better, and comply with their rules.

pinwheel
04-28-2007, 10:02 AM
My boyfriends mom is in MRRJ. Well, we decided to drive up there (we live 3&1/2 hours away) to see her. Well, we got there and we were turned away because she is in the infirmary. Is this typical to turn away family members of an inmate who is terminally ill?

dwfighterva
04-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Welcome pinwheel! I am sorry you are having to deal with MRRJ and his mom being ill. I would call up there and talk to whoever answers the phone and ask how you can get approved for a special visit. Explain you have to drive so far and that she is ill. Try to stay with a lower person and not work your way up the chain of command because the upper ones are real jerks. They should have a way of letting you come to see her. Call and ask. MRRJ loves to turn people away or make you adhere to the 15 minutes for a visit.

pinwheel
04-29-2007, 08:43 AM
thank you. i'll try.

kelpat
08-06-2007, 03:47 PM
how do i get my man a phone account so i can talk to him

dwfighterva
08-06-2007, 06:09 PM
He has to call you collect. If he is at Middle River, they have Inmate Telephone (ar at least they did a year ago). Call them and set up an account. Tell your boyfriend about it when you go see him, or write him a letter and tell him once you have it set up so he can call you.
Inmate Telephone 1-814-949-3303

ninjagrrl
10-06-2007, 06:39 PM
This is a letter my sister has asked me to post for her. She is currently an inamte at MRRJ and has been there 3 months.

Family members and friends of inmates being held at MRRJ whether from other counties or the local area, everyone needs to be aware that even though people from other counties are medically cleared (Tb shots, checked for lice, etc.) people from the local area are not medically cleared before entering the population of the jail. Therefore people are exposed to communical diseases that were already cleared from other counties. The jail apparently doesn't want to waste the money to keep the inmates safe by making sure they are healthy. After 9-5 there is usually a med-tech in the jail, no nurse or doctor. No one is on duty from 11pm to 5am. Also the inmates are expected to remain at their bunks for 18 hours daily. There isn't even enough room to sit up in our bunks. People are literally starting to go crazy in their minds. Why is it prisons have more freedom than jail? DOC pays MRRJ to house inamtes and still offer very few programs (the only rehabilition programs offered are once weekly AA or NA and the NA program is not available for the female inmates)

JM - a female inmate

My sister also wants everyone to know of recent changes at MRRJ.

Lockdown means by our bunks or in our cells. No television, microwave or telephone from 10pm to 9:30 am.(11.5 hours)
From 11am - 1:30pm (2.5 hours)
From 4:15 - 7:30 pm (3 hours 15 mins)

Lockdown total is 17 hours 15 minutes

Unlocked from 9:30am - 11am
1:30pm - 4:15 pm
7:30pm - 10 pm

Unlocked total 6 hours 45 mins

Clean at 8:30 am
inspect at 9:30 am

Clean at 12:30 pm
Inspect at 1:30 pm

Clean 6:30 pm
Inspect 7:30 pm

Clean 10:30 pm
Lockdown - lights out 11 pm

Alot of the time they are late to inspect so inamtes have even less time with telephone and microwave

Last meal is 4:30pm, no food again until 6:30 am - 14 hours no food. - portions not made larger to accomodate longer stretches between meals

A poem my sister wrote, she asked me to post

Fuck this jail
I'd like to see it fail

We're stuck by our beds
with so much running through our heads

No medical clearance upon arrival
Making it hard for our survival

The food we all hate
Taking little bites imagining something great

Outdoor rec only twice this week
Everyone's tempers at their peak

Going crazy in this little box
Wondering how to pick the locks

Fuck you, we can't wait till you fail

Female inamte - JM

ronslady
10-07-2007, 10:22 PM
go to www2.vipnet.org/cgi-bin/vadoc/doc.cgi all you have to know is his first and last name there are other options on that page to find him,no matter if they moved him

ronslady
10-07-2007, 10:45 PM
My sister also wants everyone to know of recent changes at MRRJ.

Lockdown means by our bunks or in our cells. No television, microwave or telephone from 10pm to 9:30 am.(11.5 hours)
From 11am - 1:30pm (2.5 hours)
From 4:15 - 7:30 pm (3 hours 15 mins)

Lockdown total is 17 hours 15 minutes

Unlocked from 9:30am - 11am
1:30pm - 4:15 pm
7:30pm - 10 pm

Unlocked total 6 hours 45 mins

Clean at 8:30 am
inspect at 9:30 am

Clean at 12:30 pm
Inspect at 1:30 pm

Clean 6:30 pm
Inspect 7:30 pm

Clean 10:30 pm
Lockdown - lights out 11 pm

Alot of the time they are late to inspect so inamtes have even less time with telephone and microwave

Last meal is 4:30pm, no food again until 6:30 am - 14 hours no food. - portions not made larger to accomodate longer stretches between meals

that pisses me off, they treat inmates like slaves there, what kind of jail doesn't have a website? makes no sence at all.

HisBaByJaaN
11-13-2007, 05:48 PM
My boyfreind got transfer to middle river recently and i am trying 2 talk to talk to him....but I want to ko hwo much does per call cost ?????? and do u have to be 18 to visit an inmate ????????

MzVirgo
11-14-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm not sure about the phone calls because some allow phone cards for the inmates and some require setting up the service through the inmate calling service with MCI. Yes you have to be 18 to visit an inmate unless you are emancipated and or a parent or guardian is at the visit with you.

ronslady
11-15-2007, 10:49 AM
My boyfreind got transfer to middle river recently and i am trying 2 talk to talk to him....but I want to ko hwo much does per call cost ?????? and do u have to be 18 to visit an inmate ????????

you have to go to inmatetelephone.com set up a account so he can call or call 814-949-3303. if you are under 18 you need a adult to come w/you

HisBaByJaaN
11-16-2007, 05:44 PM
THANKZ guyzz i already have an account.....but i jst wanted to kno how much per call cost.....well i m not 18 yet and i have been looking for a person who can take me to visit him.........it's been more than 4 months i havent seen him!!

ronslady
11-16-2007, 08:40 PM
THANKZ guyzz i already have an account.....but i jst wanted to kno how much per call cost.....well i m not 18 yet and i have been looking for a person who can take me to visit him.........it's been more than 4 months i havent seen him!!

where is he located, well if he's at the same place my hubby is in and you live in northen va then you got your self a ride. I haven't seen my fiance for about 3 going on 4mo. Also if you have a cell phone what you can do is change you number to the same area code that way it will be cheaper but its about $5 for 15 mins.

MzVirgo
11-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Also in that case if you do find someone who can take you I recommend getting a note from your parent or guardian and getting it notarized

akay2308
12-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Okay I just recently [like today] found out that my friend is incarcerated at MRRJ and I need to know if the address posted is the correct address and if I need his Inmate number. I'd like to write to him since I'm not aloud to answer his phone calls due to the fact that well I can't afford to pay for them.

dwfighterva
12-04-2007, 05:51 AM
Yes the information is correct for Middle River. You do not need to have his number, just address it right.

Inmates Name
P. O. Box 2727
Staunton, VA 24402-2727

Good luck! I am sure he will like hearing from you.

handshake
01-12-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure why it is that if I possess the identification necessary to prove to an inmate who I am upon arrival, and thereby help the inmate determine whether or not I may visit him, seeing as only one visit is necessary to do so, why can't an inmate be made aware of requests from the outside. It appears that only lawyers are given a free pass. Rehabilition, as far as I can reason, requires the stiffness of penalty combined with the support of those that an offender must work hard to prove themselves too. I don't blame my friend particularly for his now further incensed distrust of the criminal justice system. It took two months of choppy corespondence in order to arrange visitation, including an episode whereby which a visitation list submitted by this inmate, a friend of mine, was erased from the computers several days after its confirmation. I might have overlooked the mistake had not the action to cancel visitation been initialed by jail staff. Not allowing the standard 100 and something odd days to pass, for the eligibility of visitation renewal to clear, I called the offices and sent my friend a letter (questions in and outside) and cleared it, spending a very pleasant 15 minutes with him the following Monday.

I understand the security risks involved, even those beyond the physical. Some people just shouldn't see each other in cases like this. But what provisions can be made from those who politely ask for audience before someone less patient than I blows up in an officer's face for lack of conclusive answers?

TarheelBaby39
03-09-2008, 02:13 PM
:( I want to sent my boy some pictures in a card. Is there a limit as to how many I can send per letter? Also, can I send printable word search puzzle sheets?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!
Thanks,
-Scottie:thumbsup:

Annie464
03-10-2008, 12:38 PM
I believe you can only send 5 pictures at a time. My husband is at MRRJ and I tried sending him several pictures on one sheet of paper. They wouldn't let him have them. I told my husband not to worry about it, that I would resend them individually. I don't think there is a limit to how many they can keep. It differs from jail to jail. I know when my husband gets moved back to Loudoun County for court, the jail here will onlly let him keep a certain number of pictures. Ive had to pick them up and mail them back to my husband when he returns to MRRJ....crazy huh!?!

As far as word puzzles, Im not sure.

Good Luck

dwfighterva
03-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Word puzzles can go in. They can't be copied from a magazine, but they can be the ones you invent online and print out.

HisBaByJaaN
03-13-2008, 09:20 AM
where is he located, well if he's at the same place my hubby is in and you live in northen va then you got your self a ride. I haven't seen my fiance for about 3 going on 4mo. Also if you have a cell phone what you can do is change you number to the same area code that way it will be cheaper but its about $5 for 15 mins.

Yes i live in northern VA plz lemme kno if u can take me 2 visit him!! i ll be so thankful to u!!

HisBaByJaaN
03-13-2008, 09:21 AM
YESS I LIVE IN NORTHERN VA!! plzz lemme kno IF U CAN DO THIS 4 ME!! THANKZZ

DevilishAn6ell
03-27-2008, 08:37 AM
hi all, is there a main MRRJ website? Ive been tryin to find it but there doesnt seem to be any. and also i live liek 2.5 hours away and they charge me 10.33 for 15 minutes. is it like that with anyone else?

dwfighterva
03-27-2008, 11:10 PM
I don't believe there is a MRRJ website. In fact a Google search pulls up this very thread on PTO in the #1 spot. LOL!

fergie166
03-31-2008, 10:32 AM
[quote=dwfighterva]Sorry, my information was wrong. You can send books as long as they are from a vendor and do not contain sex and violence. Magazines have to be approved and cannot have nudity, firearms, or

Now, (March 2008) you cannot send books/magazines. I sent my son several books, from Amazon.com and they either returned them unopened or they have just disappeared, even though amazon shows them delivered.

They were mostly devotional/self help type of books and the only one that wasn't was the new Oprah book club book which is supposed to be a life changing book too.

They also do not get three meals (if you can call them meals) on weekends anymore. Just two.

Visitation is minimal.

My son was sent there from Prince William County. He hasn't been sentenced yet, has a court date in April but they sent him two days after he had court. He hasn't even been found guilty of anything yet, so it's rather odd to me how they do this.

We drive almost three hours each way to see him, wait sometimes nearly an hour, then it's usually not even 15 minutes we get to see him, then the three hour drive home.

In Prince William at least the visitation was twice a week for thirty minutes, often more.

There is no ability to get a court appointed attorney when he's that far away and none of it makes any sense, how they send him that far away without even being convicted yet, if he is.

DevilishAn6ell
03-31-2008, 02:26 PM
wish they could all stay in Prince William...my boyfriend got sent away due to overcrowding of the hispanics

dwfighterva
04-01-2008, 12:56 PM
[quote=dwfighterva]Sorry, my information was wrong. You can send books as long as they are from a vendor and do not contain sex and violence. Magazines have to be approved and cannot have nudity, firearms, or

Now, (March 2008) you cannot send books/magazines. I sent my son several books, from Amazon.com and they either returned them unopened or they have just disappeared, even though amazon shows them delivered.

They were mostly devotional/self help type of books and the only one that wasn't was the new Oprah book club book which is supposed to be a life changing book too.

They also do not get three meals (if you can call them meals) on weekends anymore. Just two.

Visitation is minimal.

My son was sent there from Prince William County. He hasn't been sentenced yet, has a court date in April but they sent him two days after he had court. He hasn't even been found guilty of anything yet, so it's rather odd to me how they do this.

We drive almost three hours each way to see him, wait sometimes nearly an hour, then it's usually not even 15 minutes we get to see him, then the three hour drive home.

In Prince William at least the visitation was twice a week for thirty minutes, often more.

There is no ability to get a court appointed attorney when he's that far away and none of it makes any sense, how they send him that far away without even being convicted yet, if he is.

Just shows they can change the rules any time they want. Usually books have to be approved ahead of time before they are sent in. That is really bad that Amazon shows they are delivered and they never showed up anywhere.

As for the visits, you can call ahead of time and ask for an extended visit since you have to drive so far. Don't hold your breath on it, but you can at least try. Also, you can request a special visit during the week (if you can go then) and that should give you a longer visit.

Are his charges in Prince William or Middle River?

fergie166
04-05-2008, 12:48 PM
His charges are in Prince William, we knew two days before the court date, no supeona was sent, his old attorney called and said he has to be in court on a probation violation. In court the name inside the document that told of the missing dates was not even close to his name and he pointed that out. My sons name was only at the top of the letter the body of the letter talked exclusively about a different man, mentioning his name multiple times. When we brought this up, the judge said, he was looking him up that day and giving him until April 18, to prove this. Well he knew my sons name and he knew the name in the letter he was looking at was NOT my sons name. His probation officer was in the court room but they didn't ask her any questions, just handcuffs and he was gone. The next morning he was sent to Middle River Regional Jail. So there is no conviction and it's such a mess and I've finally saved enough to pay an attorney but since he got the money he isn't taking phone calls and we haven't heard a word and the April date is fast approaching. I just didn't think this is how the judicial system worked.

[quote=fergie166]

Just shows they can change the rules any time they want. Usually books have to be approved ahead of time before they are sent in. That is really bad that Amazon shows they are delivered and they never showed up anywhere.

As for the visits, you can call ahead of time and ask for an extended visit since you have to drive so far. Don't hold your breath on it, but you can at least try. Also, you can request a special visit during the week (if you can go then) and that should give you a longer visit.

Are his charges in Prince William or Middle River?

dwfighterva
04-05-2008, 11:09 PM
I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. Our justice system is not just or fair. Keep on the lawyer. I would go to his office and sit and wait since it is coming soon. Ask him what you expects to do for your son? Meanwhile, gather all information you can to show that was not your son. I don't know exactly what but if they say he wasn't somewhere one day, you show he was. Good luck with this. I know how frustrating it can be. (((Hugs)))

MissingU2Long
04-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Is it normal for the inmates not to have hot water? Isn't that unsanitary and bacteria is just waiting to grow!

dwfighterva
04-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Why doesn't this surprise me? Hot water is not needed to kill bacteria if he uses an anti-bacterial soap. I am sorry you have to deal with that.

loccdawg
01-05-2009, 07:21 PM
my friend is locked up in mrrj, he has been there since Sept,08 and is waiting on a pre sentencing report to come back . he turned down a plea bargain of 1 1/2 years so its hard to tell how much time he will get now . anyway the question i have is .. how much time do you actually pull ? is there good time were you only pull like 50-60 % of your sentence

dwfighterva
01-11-2009, 03:12 PM
The only good time you can get off is 4.5 days for each 30 served. Hopefully he will get less than the year and a half they offered him. If it is less than a year sentence, he will stay at MRRJ the entire time.

loccdawg
01-11-2009, 08:10 PM
The only good time you can get off is 4.5 days for each 30 served. Hopefully he will get less than the year and a half they offered him. If it is less than a year sentence, he will stay at MRRJ the entire time.

is it normal to get a lower sentence after turning down a plea bargain? he has been in trouble before 13 lbs of marijuana back in 1990 . the charge he has now is B&E AND GL ,seems to me they would hang his ass out to dry for turning the plea bargain down

harasubam
01-13-2009, 05:46 AM
careful they may remember who you are and that you questioned them and give you a hwrd time at every visit. or even if they know who you visit make it hard on them in there

dwfighterva
01-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Usually if you turn down a plea bargain it is because you think you can get a better chance with a jury. Yes, many times if found guilty the judge does give them more time than the plea that was offered. I hope this is not the case but you really won't know until you run the process and see what happens. Good luck with the courts up there!

tictoctictoc
01-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Typically, the defendant would get a longer sentence after turning down a plea and then getting convicted by a jury. Was the plea for a lesser charge? If so, and the original charge carries a mandatory minimum, he would have to pull the minimum if found guilty by the jury (which would have no control over sentencing if there is a mandatory minimum requirement). That's why, in some cases, it's better to take a plea on lesser charges than to face the original charges. OF COURSE, if he's innocent, then he probably shouldn't consider the plea anyway. :confused:

is it normal to get a lower sentence after turning down a plea bargain? he has been in trouble before 13 lbs of marijuana back in 1990 . the charge he has now is B&E AND GL ,seems to me they would hang his ass out to dry for turning the plea bargain down

ronslady
01-28-2009, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=tictoctictoc;4335496]Typically, the defendant would get a longer sentence after turning down a plea and then getting convicted by a jury. Was the plea for a lesser charge? If so, and the original charge carries a mandatory minimum, he would have to pull the minimum if found guilty by the jury (which would have no control over sentencing if there is a mandatory minimum requirement). That's why, in some cases, it's better to take a plea on lesser charges than to face the original charges. OF COURSE, if he's innocent, then he probably shouldn't consider the plea anyway. :confused:[/

QUOTE]
you-right-about-that,that-what-happen-in-my-case-he-took-the-plea-and-the-suspend-most-of-his-time.and-made-him-do-his-mandatory-time.

lizhume
01-27-2010, 08:26 AM
My sweetie is at MRRJ. I swear I've become an expert on that place. I've never had a big problem with the place. The phone calls are with ITI (aka offenderconnect.com) just like Loudoun County ADC. I use a tracfone with a Staunton area code for calls. The website gives good instructions for mail and visiting rules. I've never had an issue with either. The jail CAN NOT read an inmate's mail, ever. That breaks federal law. The jail will open and discard the envelope from a letter in front of an inmate, unless he needs the address. They do this to make sure there isn't any contraband. They can record phone calls and video tape you during visiting times. There is no smoking on the property. I suggest having a smoke before turning onto Technology Drive if you must.

If you are visiting from over 100 miles away, tell the guard. They are technically supposed to give you more visiting time. If you fly in from say, California, bring you plane ticket. Guards must give you more time and a plane ticket is perfect proof you came from way over 100 miles away.

I always suggest it's best to get to visiting right when it starts. You fill out a log in form, give it and your ID to the guard, he checks the computer, you walk through the detector, then sit and wait. The guard, once the rush comes to a lull, goes and rounds up the inmates who have visitors. When he comes back and they're ready, he'll announce it and the door will open. Sometimes you can pick your seat, sometimes the inmates are already there.

Trustees tend to get 30-45 minutes. The guards are more lax and nicer to the trustees since they've earned the trust for the bit of freedom.

Speaking of trustees. Does anyone know how much extra time they get off their sentence while a trustee? I know my sweetie must serve at least 86% of his time, but I also know trustee status earns extra time, along with good behavior. Anyone know the formula? I'm just curious.

dwfighterva
01-27-2010, 01:09 PM
My sympathies about being at Middle River. LOL! His time depends on if it is 100% jail time or if it is DOC time. If DOC then he has to do 85% with good time no matter where he does it. If it is jail time, then they have their own rules and it goes along with sentencing, etc. My guy was a trustee there but since he was DOC, it had no bearing on his good time at all.

lizhume
01-27-2010, 01:40 PM
My sweetie currently has a DOC Stay order. A lawyer friend once told me he would have to serve 86% of the time, but I think that was jail. He is in the DOC website and his release date was finally posted 2 weeks ago (the date is the 86% time served), but I know he has to get extra time off for his awesome behavior and trustee status. I just wondered if anyone knew the formula so I could at least guess when he'd be out. I would swear the DOC date is wrong.

I'd rather deal with Middle River instead of Loudoun County ADC. Middle River allows inmates to have coffee. :cool:

copeinginva
11-04-2010, 06:11 PM
My hubby is in MRRJ and they do not have any compassion for the inmates or the family. I was able to talk to him the day that they arrested him and I went that day and put money on his books so that he could call me the next day because they said they were transfering him to a pod that day I have not heard from him today at all and it is now 8:00. I am very upset because I want to know visitaion days, and the times that he can call me. Our children are wanting to talk to him and I guess that they just do not care about letting people call. I remember the last time he was in there only for a few days but he was in the maximum security pod where he was only aloud out of his cell for one hour a day that was to shower and use the phone. I wonder if that is what happened to him again and they just have not finished processing him. Does anyone know much about there system inside and how it works as far as that goes. Please let me know. He is now in there and has to serve a 10 year sentence with hopefully only actually pulling around 8 years. This really sucks not being able to talk to him when I want and see him. The worst thing of all was that he was wrongly convicted. He actually did not do the crime and the judge said this that there was no evidence to convict him, but in his opinion he does not see where the plantiff would lie. All of this is in the transcript. This really sucks. Someone please let me know about the system inside and when I should expect to hear from him. Thanks

Spreewell
06-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Hello! New here, just checking to see if anyone is still active on this thread? I have to turn myself in at mmrj in about 2 weeks and have a few questions that hopefully some of you can help me with. Also any advice from any former inmates us appreciated!! Thanks guys!