View Full Version : Anyone else have someone in St. Cloud

rumplestiltskin
07-28-2003, 04:56 PM
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone else currently has a loved one in the St. Cloud Correctional institution. My brother got there on Thursday, July 24, 2003 and I was wondering what the prison was like. How are they treated? What are their routines? Does anyone know the cost of items in prison and how much money an inmate may need?
Any info. at all would be most appreciated.

jimmy123
07-28-2003, 05:10 PM
If he is in St cloud, the chances of him being there are slim. St cloud is more of a reception and evaluation center. It is an old prison and it looks like one would precieve a prison to look like. Stone walls, towers etc. Its ugly. My guess is that he is treated ok as long as he doesnt act up. Aks him what he needs to get by with to make his life a bit easier and send him that amount with a few extra bucks for munchies etc. Most level 3 offendes (most are) go to Fairbaiult after their assesment at St Cloud. Good luck to you and keep us advised. Jimmy

jimmy123
07-28-2003, 05:11 PM
What I meant was the chances of him being there for any length of time. My mistake. DUH LOL

rumplestiltskin
07-28-2003, 06:49 PM
Thanks so much for your response. May I ask how do I know what level of offender my brother is, and do they have different prisons for the different levels? Also, if they transfer him again to another prison will they let us know when and where. Nobody has heard from him since he left the county jail on July 24th.

jimmy123
07-28-2003, 06:54 PM
They will evaluate him while at St Cloud and at that time determine what level he will be classified as. They will not let you know where they send him after that. He will have to contact you and advise you of that. You can check the MN DOC website. There it will tell you how they classify prisoners. I do not have the addy but just type in Minnesota Correctional Facilities in the search engine and it will take you there. If he left county on the 24th, my guess is that you will have a letter from him early this week assuming that he wrote. Jimmy

Daviewmaster
08-05-2003, 11:56 AM
My husband was in reception status at St Cloud for a month and was not allowed to order canteen (which includes envelopes...) during that time. So don't expect much in the way of letters, unless he has been able to "barter" for them...at least for awhile. The schedule varies, but on reception they spend a good deal of time in their rooms. My husband was able to pull some strings and our visiting form was processed and approved within the first 8 days...no small feat, from what I understand, so we were able to visit almost immediately. To find your brothers? most current whereabouts, type into the search engine "inmate locator" and Minnesota DOC should be like the 3rd that comes up. Click on it and type in either his OID#, or his full name, and it should bring up some info on him...whatever is currently available. In addition, there is a link for writing to DOC records which was very helpful...they were able to give me some additional information concerning his release date and custody level. All of the MN DOC facilities are linked to that site as well, so you can get hours, driving directions, phone #'s, even his case worker's name from there. What County jail did he come out of? I hope the info I gave was helpful...remember..."inmate locator"...that's the ticket. And don't worry...it will all be okay.

rumplestiltskin
08-05-2003, 01:06 PM
Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply. I have received several phone calls from him which has helped me tremendously. Although, last nights call was a tear jerker. He was so down. He did finally get to order from the canteen but he said it will be still another 10 days before he will receive his order. He has not met his case worker yet and he is still in an area he calls E house. His rec times are never the same so we never know when to expect a call so I am afraid to leave the house for fear I will miss him. He cannot call his wife yet as she is still waiting to get their phone situation straightened out. He is in a solitare cell and only out for his meals and I guess his orientation times. He said he may get moved several times yet so not to send a newspaper subscription yet. Do you know if he means that he will get moved within the same prison but just to a different area? I have not sent my application in yet for visiting because I didn't know if I should yet and when I do will they notify me that it has been approved? My brother came from Itasca County. Thanks again for your response.

Daviewmaster
09-04-2003, 10:38 AM
This is the deal-almost everyone (females excluded) who is committed to the commissioner of corrections in Minnesota has to PASS THRU the St. Cloud facility. Here they are initially processed, spend at least their first 30 days in orientation status, and are then classified and reclassified--classified first within the St. Cloud facility, and then eventually within the Minnesota Correctional system. So he MAY move around within St. Cloud a bit after the 30 days orientation has lapsed, but since St. Cloud is classified as a level 5 facility (closed custody) but also has the "initial intake" distinction, he will PROBABLY NOT stay there. I would almost guarantee not, knowing how the system at St. Cloud is meant to run. Not that they are jerks or unfair--but they have a certain place in the sytem, and it is basically that they are a "first stop" in the classification process.

Daviewmaster
09-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Sorry--I didn't see your other question until I had already posted. When you send in your visiting form, they will tell HIM when you have been approved so that HE can inform YOU. You will never be able to call up and see who is on his visiting list, even if you are only asking about you--that info SHOULD be privilaged. As far as the phone situation, he will eventually be able to buy phone time, if someone (the wife with the phone issues?) wants to send $--then it doesn't matter if she can't accept collect calls--she will only need to accept a pre-paid call. Hope this helps!!

REG_WALKER86
12-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone else currently has a loved one in the St. Cloud Correctional institution. My brother got there on Thursday, July 24, 2003 and I was wondering what the prison was like. How are they treated? What are their routines? Does anyone know the cost of items in prison and how much money an inmate may need?
Any info. at all would be most appreciated.

WELL LET ME START BY SAYING IM REG_WALKER AND WELL I HAVE A BROTHER IN RUSH CITY PISON AND I HAVE A COUSIN IN ST CLOUD AND WELL SHIT COSTS ALOT IF THEY NEED DEOEERANT AND EVERYTHING:angry: BUT USUALLY I SEN MY BRO $50 EVRY 2 WEEKS AND IT LAST FOR HIM TO MAKE CALLS AND SO ON BUT IF YOU WANNA KNOW MORE HIT ME UP AT MY E MAIL No Personal email address please.

hoping4freedom
12-22-2005, 05:37 PM
My dh is being transferred to St. Cloud soon......am praying that they will delay it until after the weekend so we can have a visit for X-mas, but since all has gone against us for the last 5 months, I won't hold my breath.

Would appreciate any info on St. Cloud that anyone can give........and Merry X-mas! :)

hollypop19
06-30-2011, 09:00 AM
im scared shitless for him and need to know if its scary there, like will he get beat up or killed? im only 20 and not sure how to deal with it. hes only going for a year but im still scared can someone let me know pelease