View Full Version : how far will one stamp go? (How many pages will it cover..)

WaitN4Tez
08-09-2006, 01:58 PM
I usually write my man 4 or 5 pages. I don't know if I should put one stamp or two on there. I never asked the post office because I haven't had time or no one was in there. How many pages max can you send on one stamp? I use the smaller envelopes too.

TheGeneralsWife
08-09-2006, 02:35 PM
One stamp covers 7 pages no matter the envelope size

suni_baby
08-09-2006, 02:38 PM
I found out from the postal website http://postcalc.usps.gov/Estimatedweights.htm (http://postcalc.usps.gov/Estimatedweights.htm) that you can send six sheets of plain white paper (which is 1 ounce) for one stamp. Each additional ounce costs more but not the .39 I think that at 2 ounces its .60 (not for sure) but yet you still need the 2 stamps to get it up to that even though its over it. Unless you use the penny stamps :ha: Hope that helps. Oh it doesn't matter the size of the envelope, it depends on the weight.

4ever2gether
08-09-2006, 02:41 PM
One stamp covers 7 pages no matter the envelope size

Not necessarily! One stamp may cover up to only 4 pages depending on paper quality/thickness/weight. For example, if you're typing letters and using quality printing paper, you might only get up to 4 pages in an envelope and use one stamp.

Your best bet is to sometime have the post office weigh envelopes with varying number of pages to be sure.

MrsBenji
08-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Yeap, it all varies, but 1 once is one stamp and each additional ounce is 24 cents. Different weight of envelopes and paper contribute. Six is usually safe for average papers, but if it's heavier or thinner, it'll go further.

Jenn

whereis2015
08-09-2006, 07:26 PM
go to the dollar store...buy a tablet... 5 subject. 3 subject or 1 subject it does not matter...
i know for a FACT that u can send 6 pages for one stamp...it is something i do EVERY DAY AND NIGHT.

some companies make paper thicker than others but the difference is soooo small....
6-7 pages .....one stamp covers it!...

so WRITE AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

neworleans85
08-10-2006, 04:00 PM
i know occassionally my mail man will remind me that i can't stuff so many papers into one envelope with one stamp!!! so i think you can usually eyeball it. if it looks packed (which may mean 7 sheets of notebook paper or 4 sheets of printer paper) then you know you might need to add some of those stamps worth a couple cents. i don't think you should ever have to use 2 of the 39 cents stamps if you're sending a regular size envelope. you should ask your mail person, they should be able to help.

MrsBenji
08-10-2006, 04:08 PM
i know occassionally my mail man will remind me that i can't stuff so many papers into one envelope with one stamp!!! so i think you can usually eyeball it. if it looks packed (which may mean 7 sheets of notebook paper or 4 sheets of printer paper) then you know you might need to add some of those stamps worth a couple cents. i don't think you should ever have to use 2 of the 39 cents stamps if you're sending a regular size envelope. you should ask your mail person, they should be able to help.

It's all based on weight, so if you put 12 pages in one normal envelope (Yeap-it fits!!), then you need enough to cover 2 ounces, which is the initial 39 cents and the additional 24 for the second ounce.

Jenn

JodysweetMelisa
08-10-2006, 04:20 PM
What about 4by6 pictures added too? Is there a site that will tell you exact postage with different combanations your putting in envelope. Such as 4 notebook sheets and two pics or four pics and two pieces of paper and so on...those home postage scales arnt cheapo either.:rolleyes:

MrsBenji
08-10-2006, 04:49 PM
You get a good feel for what is what after a long while, but all PO's have a scale in the lobby so you can check. I doubt there's a website out there, just because there are far too many combinations. And if in doubt, always add the extra 24 cents because that saves it from being returned for more postage...

Jenn

michelewifff1l
08-11-2006, 05:04 AM
usualy i send 4 notebook sheets of papper and 3 photos ( 4 x 6 ) in a regualer sixed envelop and it makes it just fine with one stamp. but if i send over that amount of pages usualy i just have it checked at the post office or just add another stamp if i dont have time to go there, just so i know it will make it there okay.

Michele ~from Bama~

michelewifff1l
08-11-2006, 05:05 AM
gahlee. sorry for all the typos, it's early and im tryin to type in the dark so my little ones dont wake up before 6 AM hahahaha
Michele~from Bama~

PenpalCT
08-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Its .39 for the first ounce and each additional is .24 :) Right now I'm printing Jesse's letter, its 16 typed pages, plus 2 pictures so I'm using 3 stamps (all .39)

Writing, lined paper is thinner and lighter

dancingflame41
08-11-2006, 09:19 PM
That's why I get my mail stamped with the meter machine at the ups store. lol.

RiverstotheSea
08-11-2006, 11:43 PM
After reading this thread, with all due respect, I am glad I do not have to use the American mail system. It sounds far too complicated! Down here in New Zealand we only have to use how much it weighs, etc. to determine the cost if it is a parcel - not an envelope.

For a letter it is 45 for standard national post, 90 for Fast Post (Overnight delivery anywhere in NZ) and for the letters I send to my pen pals - all international letters - it is always $2.00 for however much I can fit into the envelope! (All New Zealand currency of course!)

The only time that I have to be careful on how thick the envelope is, or how much I can fit into it is for the receiving end; when it arrives at the prison, it needs to be under the specified amount for their rules, etc. but otherwise it's basically as much as you can fit.

Just my two cents.

- Ben.

Jillian
08-12-2006, 01:50 AM
That sounds less complicated Ben.. so you are very lucky you dont have to guesstimate on anything ..

kintml2u
08-12-2006, 04:42 AM
Years ago, I was tired of guessing, tired of having a piece here and there returned...so I went out to Office Depot and picked up a postal scale. You can get them cheap, under 20 bucks. Instead of having to guess or get things returned...you plop everything on the scale and you get an idea of how much of each type you can inclose. I believe I get about 7 to 8 4x6. 8 is pushing it...but can work with no other content! :D

WaitN4Tez
08-13-2006, 02:47 AM
Thanks for the help you guys! I don't know what I'd do without everyone on this site!!!

raeannii
08-13-2006, 09:59 AM
On occasion when I'm at the post office I'll weigh my mail and it always asks for extra postage. I send them anyway without and he always gets them. I've never had anything returned or send to him requesting additional postage.

HuGzz 'N StUff
08-13-2006, 10:09 AM
I know that 5 24 lb sheets of typing paper will go in a Business Envelope with a few stickers on it for .39 after that I have to add the .24 cent stamp. You can't just add a few .01 cent stamps.

My Post Office doesn't have a scale in the lobby, that might have something to do with it being in the middle of BFE.

Happy Writing!!!