View Full Version : Central Mississippi Correctional Facility - CMCF - Discussion Comments & Questions

c_paul
08-07-2003, 08:09 PM
My sister is pregnant and in CMCF.

She has a 7 year sentence.

She has asked me to find information on "Catholic Daughters Born Free", I think it might be a place for her to go instead of prison.

If anyone has information about any program that may help. please let me know

Pslm139
04-22-2005, 06:00 PM
I want to figure out as much as I can ahead of time to be help my loved one be prepared, and - of course - to make the best of it.

How often is "Canteen" at CMCF? (If she can buy things like OJ and tuna, she might get some extra needed nutrients.)

Also, are you given a blanket? Is it cold?

What kind of work is there to do?

What about medicine? You said medical care is horrible. She takes medicine for allergies (get nauseous and ill otherwise), and for major depression. Would it help if she brings a letter from her physician?

Roughly how long will it take for her to be processed (and be told her address, and write home with such information)?

Thank you all for this forum!!

LITTLE DIXIE
04-23-2005, 07:01 AM
I would like to speek with you .You can e-mail me or send me a private message. I know the medical care is a joke. My mother was bipolar and she had to have her meds everyday.They would not give them to her like they should have.She would get it 2 times a week if she was lucky.

took5
06-21-2005, 08:45 AM
The men's 720 unit at CMCF is a special needs housing unit for those who have certain illnesses or disabilities. It's a great big joke too. All too often serious medical problems are ignored or improperly treated. The answer almost always given when reporting a problem as an emergency is "Fill out a sick call form." It will be a minimum of two days later when you see medical personnel. Most of the time the inmates end up treating themselves, which is dangerous. Epileptic inmates are ignored or accused of faking seizures. Often some very sick inmates are sent to the building when they should be in the infirmary. It can be really bad sometimes when they cannot control bodily functions or are bleeding. The other inmates end up cleaning up the messes without gloves or proper chemicals. They have serious problems with outbreaks of Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcal Aureus(MRSA) infections which can be deadly and are easily transmitted. Most of the time the inmates are told that they have been bitten by a spider instead of being told the truth which prevents them from taking care not to spread the infection. The boils are usually self-treated and then improperly cleaned which can lead to further infection and transmission through contact with various fixtures such as sinks, showers, and toilets which all inmates use. The fixtures are not properly cleaned. But nobody ever finds a brown recluse or black widow. I do not understand why the spider is always blamed. Why not tell the truth and encourage proper hygiene and cleaning habits? All they have succeeded in doing is creating a system chock full of arachnophobes.
I could go on ad infinitum regarding the practices in this particular unit. It is out of frustration that I write this. I lost a lot of good acquaintances while I was there, and I left behind several more that I hope fare better than the others.
Thanks for taking time to read this. Feel free to ask me anything you like about this subject.

took5

marthajean
06-21-2005, 11:40 PM
Yes ,it is always blamed on the spider. MRSA is at a lot of facilitys.Any time it is mentioned to someone ,no one has any answers. I have been told this a lot inthe past 3 years, the very same thing you are saying. PM first chance you get.

I-Care
06-22-2005, 08:08 AM
My Cousin "saw" the spider that bit her at CMCF and one lady "saved" the one that bit her. I do not doubt AT ALL that MSRA is occurring there but I just thought you all may want to know that there are also brown lacrose spiders there. Which of course they deny as well. 720 is a real joke. Are you all aware that Dr. Blackston who was MDOC medical director is now over CMS Medical at CMCF?? He is a "self designated Doctor". What is that?? Thanks and keep me posted on anything about CMCF please. They have my love one. She was a trauma RN nurse before going there so many things that she sees and how the medical conditions are really upset her. I know of several love ones who would have died if the other inmates did not help them. Anyone with specific medical issues with MDOC please PM me.

"I-Care"

LITTLE DIXIE
06-23-2005, 09:24 AM
It is crazy that they allow this to spread. What will happen when a CO or someone else gets sick.They must not even care about their health.

took5
06-23-2005, 11:03 AM
It is crazy that they allow this to spread. What will happen when a CO or someone else gets sick.They must not even care about their health.
Thanks for your input. If a CO got it, the right one anyway, then they might address the problem. Wait. Nah. They still wouldn't do anything. They'd probably tell them to "Fill out a sick call form and wait a few days" like they tell the inmates. What I think might help (that's a BIG might) would be for an outbreak to occur among visitors.

took5

PTO-29412
06-23-2005, 05:57 PM
Although I understand all of your concerns, you need to realize, that 75% of the complaints recevied are not valid medical concerns. I was a trustee inmate in Parchmans medical unit. However the ACLU has sued MDOC and the medical provider, maybe this will help things.

LITTLE DIXIE
06-24-2005, 09:41 AM
:angry: LOL:angry: Thanks for your input. If a CO got it, the right one anyway, then they might address the problem. Wait. Nah. They still wouldn't do anything. They'd probably tell them to "Fill out a sick call form and wait a few days" like they tell the inmates. What I think might help (that's a BIG might) would be for an outbreak to occur among visitors.

took5

took5
06-24-2005, 11:17 PM
Although I understand all of your concerns, you need to realize, that 75% of the complaints recevied are not valid medical concerns. I was a trustee inmate in Parchmans medical unit. However the ACLU has sued MDOC and the medical provider, maybe this will help things.
Dude, I believe 75% is maybe just a little bit too high of a number. Sure,people do fake stuff sometimes, but I come from a family of medical people, and I can tell the difference. Very few of them have no problem, but lots of them don't know how to explain the problem correctly. I'm sure the number of fakers at Parchman is higher than other places, but I doubt it's 75% even there. I'm quite sure you did not take a count personally of bogus claims versus true ones and do the math to arrive at a 75% non-valid claim ratio. That sounds like the product of inmate talk, something an officer told you, something a nurse told you, or maybe a seemingly-knowledgeable writ writer told you that. It doesn't sound even remotely realistic. If you can refer me to a document from a reliable source that I can view about the Mississippi system, not the United States or the entire world, that validates your claim, I would appreciate that information and will gladly admit you are right. Until then you aren't going to get me to admit that 75% of seizures, 75% of very large oozing skin boils, or even 75% of toothaches are bogus. If you did any time at all you should be very well aware that most inmates don't even want to fill out a sick call when they really are sick. They know they're going to have to sit in that clinic all day and their account will shrink by $6.00.

took5

PTO-29412
06-27-2005, 12:08 AM
Actually the information is not from anyone but myself, I spent over 2 years of my life in the MDOC system and while there I was classified to work in the hospital unit. While in Unit 42 at Parchman Mississippi my main job was reading sick calls that came in. Most of the ones that came in were fake. And not even realistic medical complaints. When they came in all they did was try to have A)Sex in the bathrooms, or B) Sleep in a airconditioned building. YES Unit 42 was airconditioned FREEZING COLD. I personally was in the room for a majority of the exams by the nurse and doctors. The doctors at MSP are not able to exam a inmate without a nurse, guard, and inmate worker present. Although I do not agree that paying $6.00 is a resonable price, I think it should be free. You can fake seizures, you can fake toothaches. Although I do not agree with the policy of waiting to long to see someone. I do know from a medical stand point you can make yourself sick with anything with the power of your mind. You can also get a psychiatirst to admit that to you. Most of these individuals were shooting for that Medical Class 3 so they did not have to work. How do I know this? Because that is the first thing they ask, when "sick" Doc, Can I get medical class 3 with this? So although I do not know you or your expierience with MDOC, I do know about Parchman from MY expierience. And the expierience of over 400 inmates who I work with through another Mississippi Prison Reform Group, Mississippi CURE. Everyone has a different aspect and opinion of MDOC, we need to learn to accept others with the ones we have. Thanks for your post to PTO!

Dude, I believe 75% is maybe just a little bit too high of a number. Sure,people do fake stuff sometimes, but I come from a family of medical people, and I can tell the difference. Very few of them have no problem, but lots of them don't know how to explain the problem correctly. I'm sure the number of fakers at Parchman is higher than other places, but I doubt it's 75% even there. I'm quite sure you did not take a count personally of bogus claims versus true ones and do the math to arrive at a 75% non-valid claim ratio. That sounds like the product of inmate talk, something an officer told you, something a nurse told you, or maybe a seemingly-knowledgeable writ writer told you that. It doesn't sound even remotely realistic. If you can refer me to a document from a reliable source that I can view about the Mississippi system, not the United States or the entire world, that validates your claim, I would appreciate that information and will gladly admit you are right. Until then you aren't going to get me to admit that 75% of seizures, 75% of very large oozing skin boils, or even 75% of toothaches are bogus. If you did any time at all you should be very well aware that most inmates don't even want to fill out a sick call when they really are sick. They know they're going to have to sit in that clinic all day and their account will shrink by $6.00.

took5

PTO-29412
06-27-2005, 12:13 AM
If you did any time at all you should be very well aware that most inmates don't even want to fill out a sick call when they really are sick. They know they're going to have to sit in that clinic all day and their account will shrink by $6.00.

took5
This is very true, however the only way to get anything done or to get better is to go to the doctor. As I said before I do not think they should charge inmates for medical care. But realisticly if you were in the free world you would also wait hours to see a doctor, and then you would pay 10 times that to see him. As I said before. MDOC is being sued due to the medical problem, and MDOC will not win, and the $6.00 will not be a legitimate complaint. Also if the medical probem is legitimate then they will get proper attention. I always did.

PTO-29412
06-27-2005, 12:20 AM
Also, I was bitten by a spider while at CMCF, during 2002. I did see it and took the spider to the guard who then took me to 720. Make neck then swelled up to the size of a football. LOL all I have left now is a big scar, I showed my "battle Wounds" to I-Care and Martha Jean lol

LITTLE DIXIE
06-27-2005, 08:15 AM
I don't know about the fake sick calls.But,I do know that if 720 can look @ a person and know in there heart that the inmate is sick then it is 720's job to help them.My mother was pale and coughing up blood clots.they can't bring her back to us but, they could have saved her life. 720 is a BIG JOKE...These inmates are counting on 720 to help them, not overlook them because there are some fakers out their.

LITTLE DIXIE
06-27-2005, 08:18 AM
And about the spiders I don't even have that may spiders around my house and if I did I would call in Pest Control.A bite can lead to all kinds of problems.

marthajean
06-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Yes , I have seen Jonathans war wounds. I also know what Took 5 and Little Dixie are saying. And yes MDOC is being sued. There is a lot to be done.

PTO-29412
06-27-2005, 06:34 PM
I cannot agree with you more. I would call pest control also. That is why it is so important for all of the families to band together and go after what we know is right. If MDOC won't do it then we have to do it. I cannot remember the exact words, but in the Decleration of Independance, the writers say it is our duty as Americans, that if we see an injustice it is our duty to fix it. So lets get to fixen folks!

And about the spiders I don't even have that may spiders around my house and if I did I would call in Pest Control.A bite can lead to all kinds of problems.

I-Care
06-28-2005, 06:33 AM
You know I keep having a thought that goes through my mind over and over. I really have not had a clear answer to this one. It was "told" to me that if you are not working and receiving a salary of SOME KIND that MDOC is not suppose to charge for the sick call's. I do NOT know this to be true but SURE would like to know if that is "fact or fiction". Has anyone else heard of this or know how to see if this is true. IF SO...We could fight this charge. ANY IDEAS??

"I-Care"

Mrs.Glamma
06-28-2005, 05:48 PM
I know My Honey has been charged $6 at Rankin,Parchman and SMCI. It came out of his canteen funds. It was rough for him when his BP was out of wack and then all those darn staph infections. The staph is system related and I think unfair that the inmates are charged for treatment for it.

I-Care
06-28-2005, 07:58 PM
ALSO an FYI. If your Loved One has to go back to the clinic ( I can only speak for CMCF, that is the only one I know first hand about) and it is stated on the medical records that it is for a "follow up" they are not suppose to be billed the 6 dollars either. Example, follow up from a spider bite. BUT the appointment MUST say a FOLLOW UP!! I know my Cousin has NOT been billed for "follow up" visits. Some say they have but I am not sure that the orders stated "folow up". These are some things we need to try and check on in the next few months and get clarified. Does anyone know who or how we can check on rather a Loved One can be billed for medical services if they are not paid a salary and also if they are suppose to be charged for "follow up" appointments. I believe Diabetes fits into this catagory.

"I-Care"

Amy
06-28-2005, 08:36 PM
I don't know about the diabetes thing, but I do think I remember my husband saying that follow ups were not billable.

southurnbelle2
08-24-2005, 09:22 PM
hi my man is in building 2 do u know anything about it

angellamckean
01-31-2006, 12:56 PM
I am a former CMCF inmate. I was released March 1, 2005. I have been there and seen the things first hand and how that prison works. That prison needs to be shut down. It is filthy, has several of the buildings deemed "condemned", however, inmates are still being housed in those buildings. The sewage backs up into the living area in one of the buildings on "the Big Yard". I think it was "B" building if I remember correctly.
I also gave birth to my daughter while I was in prison there. The doctor prescribed me medications at the hospital that I was never given upon my return from the hospital. I was never given anything for pain after my delivery once I got back to the prison. i was never given so much as a tylenol even though the Dr at the hospital prescribed pain medication for me. I never did recieve anything. Since i had given birth just 21 days after I arrived there, I was still a "yellow bird". That means no visitation, phone calls only on the weekends, limited canteen. I didn't see my daughter again until I was classified almost 4 months later.
There is no point in even trying to get the male officers not to watch you take your showers. they stand in the guard tower just staring at you the whole time you are in the shower, which happens to be right in front of the guard tower. We also are not provided with any shower curtains, so these men get to see us totally naked for however long we are showering. it is just totally inhumane and humiliating to say the least.
Anyone wanting any info on that place can ask me and I can tell them just about anything thay want to know. I was there for a year.

Angella:angry:

parchman wife
02-01-2006, 08:36 AM
My girlfriend is in CMCF, and is miserable. She's beautiful, and has trouble with the male guards also. And the female ones. She says "we're better than they are", and I think that's true. We're alike, both had drug problems, etc., just she ended up in prison and me not (yet). We're honest, though, and don't f**k with people just for the fun of it.

onyx
02-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Patients are not supposed to be billed a "sick call charge" if the visit is a "follow up" visit (requested by the doctor or nurse) or if the problem is truly not resolved.

The sick call fee is also "waived" for true emergencies, and for chronic care visits (diabetes, hypertension, seizure clinic). It is also waived for mental health requests. The money from the sick call charges or "co-pay" does not go to the MDOC or to the company that provides the medical care (Correctional Medical Services).

for more information on "co-pay" and other health policies you can go the MDOC web site and click on "Medical Division" and then to the FAQ.

Hope this helps.

PTO-29412
02-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the update!

I-Care
02-08-2006, 05:05 AM
This is true but so any people's orders do not say "follow up visit" so they are being charged. My Cousin at CMCF knows what should be a "follow up visit" and makes sure the orders say this and she has never been billed for her follow up visits.

onyx
02-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks Baileyjojo for providing an objective view on the CMCF Medical issue(s).

1) yes there are lots of "spider bites" but this is a misperception that is primarily reinforced by the inmates. Many (if not nearly all) of the so-called "spider bites" are actually staph infections. If anyone has a boil or pus draining they DO need to see the medical staff right away. Staph is not just a problem in a prison, it is found in day care centers, ALL hospitals (especially the intensive care units), and is becoming common in the "free world."

2) the inmate should not be charged a fee for this type of emergency. If the nurse or doctor marks a sick call charge for someone that has a true staph infection, the inmate should submit an ARP or grievance and it should be credited with inmate banking. it may take a while to get straightened out but they should not be charged for an abscess or this kind of infection.

3) there was a post earlier suggesting that the doctors at the facility are not qualified or not properly licensed. I assure you this is NOT true. All of the doctors currently working at CMCF are Board Certified in their area of specialty and have unrestricted medical licenses. This is required by the NCCHC and the MDOC.

4) yes, people do fake medical problems, especially seizure troubles. they do it so they don't have to work, or primarily because they want a "bottom bunk." every patient should be viewed by the medical staff as legitimate until PROVEN otherwise.

5) the aclu is not suing the medical providers at Parchman, just the MDOC. the medical staff were initially included in the lawsuit but were dropped out of the suit almost immediately after it was filed because there were no grounds to support a claim against the medical care.

6) If you were to get the honest opinion of all the inmates housed at CMCF and/or 720, I think MOST (much more than 75%, by the way) would say that the medical care is good overall. There are always going to be some who are dissatisfied. Also, If you were dissatisfied with the present medical care I have some bad news for you: it is probably going to become much worse in the future. why? because the MDOC is firing the present medical staff to replace them with others of their own choosing. it is rumored that the same people who are in charge of the medical care at walnut grove prison and hinds county jail will be given the medical contract for all of the mdoc.

just one person's opinion, but hopefully factual.

I-Care
02-08-2006, 03:49 PM
I disagree about the medical care at CMCF. BUT that is why we live in America. We can disagree. Onyx, who wrote that about medical care at CMCF? How many loved ones would you like to talk to about the horrible, deplorable medical treatment at CMCF? How many families of deceased loved ones with no explanations thus far as to WHY their loved ones died. Some for no apparent reasons known to the families. There ARE spider bites that medical says is staph BUT when you have killed the spider that bit you and taken it to sick call with you to show what bit you and are told that spider bites are rare and it is a staph?? COME ON NOW!! Also some of these loved ones are RN's and I personally believe THEM!! At one time the medical director at CMCF was a "self designated doctor" someone tell me what that is please?? As far as I know he is still over medical at CMCF. Who ever wrote this and I am not sure if it is Onyx, does not know the actual facts. They may have expierenced some "faking" I am sure, but daily many are going undiagnosed and improperly treated. See all they have to provide is "reasonable medical care" or something like that. When a loved one dies at CMCF and rhigamortis has already set in by the time they get this person to the hospital ( one of our own PTO members can vouch for this, it happened to her Mother) I think they have serious problems. Speak to University and see what condition many are in by the time they arrive there and what they think of the medical care at CMCF. Nope.. Sorry..This is NOT FACTUAL!!! Speak to those who are inside or have come out of there or those who LOST loved ones while inside CMCF.

"I-Care"

PTO-29412
02-08-2006, 07:34 PM
1) yes there are lots of "spider bites" but this is a misperception that is primarily reinforced by the inmates. Many (if not nearly all) of the so-called "spider bites" are actually staph infections. If anyone has a boil or pus draining they DO need to see the medical staff right away. Staph is not just a problem in a prison, it is found in day care centers, ALL hospitals (especially the intensive care units), and is becoming common in the "free world."

I will agree with you that some of these boils/bites are staph infections, however from being someone who was incarcerated at CMCF, I do have to say that I believe a majority of these bites/infections are from spiders or other "insects".

IF the prison would spray for these spiders, clean (or give proper cleaning supplies to the inmates), and give the inmates more than cold water and a mop to clean with, maybe some of those problems would go down.

2) the inmate should not be charged a fee for this type of emergency. If the nurse or doctor marks a sick call charge for someone that has a true staph infection, the inmate should submit an ARP or grievance and it should be credited with inmate banking. it may take a while to get straightened out but they should not be charged for an abscess or this kind of infection.

I have documented proof that this is NOT being done by MDOC, also when many inmates are writting ARP's, they are being dismissed without investigation, which we are working on getting more documented proof of!

3) there was a post earlier suggesting that the doctors at the facility are not qualified or not properly licensed. I assure you this is NOT true. All of the doctors currently working at CMCF are Board Certified in their area of specialty and have unrestricted medical licenses. This is required by the NCCHC and the MDOC.

This has been verified by several individuals, as well as licensing agencies in Mississippi. MDOC has one individual who has never taken the medical board examinations, however they are seeing inmates as a doctor.

4) yes, people do fake medical problems, especially seizure troubles. they do it so they don't have to work, or primarily because they want a "bottom bunk." every patient should be viewed by the medical staff as legitimate until PROVEN otherwise.

VERY GOOD POINT!!! You are so right, that is like having a gold brick in prison, if you have a bottom bunk profile, or a lay in slip, or a snackbag slip, then you are living it up! I think one of the problems, is that in some MDOC facilities, we are not getting medical staff that are legitimate or care about making sure these people have a legit complaint, or illness

5) the aclu is not suing the medical providers at Parchman, just the MDOC. the medical staff were initially included in the lawsuit but were dropped out of the suit almost immediately after it was filed because there were no grounds to support a claim against the medical care.

I called and talked to my contact at the ACLU, she told me that they are preparing to sue the Medical Provider for MDOC, I had misunderstood this fact and stated that wrongly. I do know however that MANY lawsuits are currently against having the medical provdier in other states due to the quality of care given.

6) If you were to get the honest opinion of all the inmates housed at CMCF and/or 720, I think MOST (much more than 75%, by the way) would say that the medical care is good overall. There are always going to be some who are dissatisfied. Also, If you were dissatisfied with the present medical care I have some bad news for you: it is probably going to become much worse in the future. why? because the MDOC is firing the present medical staff to replace them with others of their own choosing. it is rumored that the same people who are in charge of the medical care at walnut grove prison and hinds county jail will be given the medical contract for all of the mdoc.

just one person's opinion, but hopefully factual

I receive around 20-30 letters from inmates in the MDOC per month. Almost half of these are begging me for help in getting them adequate medical care. Documenting deaths, mistreatment, etc. The medical ward at CMCF may not be as bad as Parchman, or other areas. But it isn't the best it can be either.

One of the reasons alot of people are content with the way things are in life, is because they do not know that their is something better available, or expected.

I have a small dog, and I can honestly say from my personal, hands on, expierience with MDOC, my DOG receives better care by a veternarian than inmates do in the Mississippi Department of Corrections by medical staff.

Shouldn't humans receive better care than animals?

parchman wife
02-09-2006, 04:51 AM
Onxy wrote ..........

A very nice piece of p.r. Sounds good on paper, but you can still die waiting in the holding cell.

onyx
02-09-2006, 05:14 PM
not trying to give anyone "p.r." or spin. however, I think many are misunderstanding about the "spider bite" issue. No doubt there are spiders and other insects, and people inside and outside of corrections get bitten by them. sometimes they cause an infection, and sometimes they don't. MOST of the boils and absecesses in the prison system are NOT spider bites, but they do need the proper medical attention, which is to be drained and dressed and antibiotics. whether it started as a spider bite or mosquito bite doesnt really matter. getting rid of every singel spider would be great but wouldnt fix the problem of staph infections, which IS a very serious one for all prisons and jails.

I am curious about a term somebody used referring to "self designated doctors"? I am gonna stick by my prior statement there are no doctors (working at cmcf at least) without a medical license. I kinda wonder about where that particular idea got started. If someone has the name of a doctor who is supposedly not licensed that can be researched pretty easily.

I know that the sick call charges are a problem for lots of people. the ARP process is poor too. I don't really know what to suggest about the arp's. It seems this was ignored for a long time and hopefully now will get better. maybe the mdoc thought if you ignore the arps then they will simply go away? they cant though because they are mandated by a federal judge to follow the process. as for sick calls, I personally think 6 dollrs is too much for a sick call but it should be maybe a dollar just so people won't fill out 20 sick calls in one day . . .

I don't know of anyone dying in the holding cell at cmcf waiting to see the doctor or the nurse. I cant speak for parchman or smci. I guess it could happen, just as people could die waiting in a hospital ER, or on the housing zone. If someone has a heart attack on their rack and dies, I don't think that is automatically the fault of the medical people. if someone fills out a sick call for a serious medical problem, or comes to the ER and gets brushed off, and THEN dies or gets very sick, yes that is a very very big problem. I have no doubt the aclu would be very excited about this if it does happen. and by the way, Bailleyjojo is absolutely correct that the aclu is suing (or has sued) the medical company (CMS) in many other states. CMS will be out july 1 anyway but know one seems to know who will be taking over.

there are lots of varied issues here and didn't mean to get people riled up -at least about all of them at once!!!! probably any one of these we could go back and forth all day, and that's cool. bailyjojo if you want to pm me with some of the complaints sometime I'd be glad to find out what I can . . .

Amy
02-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Onyx, I have enjoyed reading your thoughts here and while we all may not agree, it is always good for people to see the other side of an issue. I don't think anyone was extremely riled up. We just have a vocal bunch here. There's nothing wrong with having a lively discussion.

parchman wife
02-10-2006, 07:48 AM
This is very high on my list of touchy subjects. My husband is older than I am, in his late 50's. The reason the subject is so touchy is because I'm afraid for him.

We've seen first-hand the indifference with which medical problems are treated. I have a friend who's husband is the same age as mine, and he told her the story about the 40ish yr old inmate with chest pains dying in the holding cell only a couple of weeks ago. Of course, I have no way to verify this story, and if its true, I'm sure the paperwork won't reflect it. My friend and I, and our husbands all know that it could easily be true, and could easily have been either one of them.

I don't care to hear a comparison to someone dying in the emergency room of chest pains, because it isn't the same thing. I don't really have any right to judge any of the staff at the prisons, either, because until it was my own husband, I had the same indifference. I hate that, but its the truth.

Its a horrible feeling to know that if anything goes wrong for my husband, or a close friend who is in CMCF, that MDOC will possibly administer health care at the same speed that they do everything else. If those punks in the gangs decide to jump on him, they'll take 30 minutes to call someone to break it up. And if he has chest pains, he might have to wait hours in a holding cell before they decide if its emergent enough to treat.

PTO-29412
02-10-2006, 09:43 AM
I agree with Amy above, I have enjoyed hearing your side of all of this ONYX!

And their is one point I aggreed whole heartedly with you on, and let me be the first to say, that from working in the medical units as a inmates. I saw MANY talented staff, doctors, and nurses who care deeply about their work, and making sure alot of the patients/inmates that came in sick, left better.

However, on the other hand, their were other staff, who didn't give a rats behind, and looked at the job as "I am working with animals, so I will treat them that way. This is a easy job" NOT ALL WERE LIKE THIS, but some were. However it is probably that way in a majority of clinics in the country, we just don't care, or see the attitudes?!?

I will also agree that the sick calls are outrageous. ONYX, I have a mother I write with on a regular basis about the medical care her son gets, and he has diabetes. EVERYTIME that he goes to sick call, he is charged $6.00 for being seen. ALthough sometimes it is them calling him to check his blood sugar etc. This is not happening at CMCF, this is at SMCI, and another lady at MSP.

I will agree with you on something here. CMCF and 720 are the BEST medical units out of the three state Pennitentarys. I will wholeheartedly agree on that fact.

However, I feel in a whole, that CMS & MDOC do not work together to ensure the best treatment for the inmates. And I feel MDOC prohibits CMS from doing alot of things that they feel they need to do in order to help these individuals.

P.S. ONYX, do not get discouraged from posting due to some (me included) smart and long come backs! You are one of the first people to come and give us this other side of the picture! THANK YOU for coming to PTO, and we hope to learn MUCH from you!

I know that the sick call charges are a problem for lots of people. the ARP process is poor too. I don't really know what to suggest about the arp's. It seems this was ignored for a long time and hopefully now will get better. maybe the mdoc thought if you ignore the arps then they will simply go away? they cant though because they are mandated by a federal judge to follow the process. as for sick calls, I personally think 6 dollrs is too much for a sick call but it should be maybe a dollar just so people won't fill out 20 sick calls in one day . . .

I don't know of anyone dying in the holding cell at cmcf waiting to see the doctor or the nurse. I cant speak for parchman or smci. I guess it could happen, just as people could die waiting in a hospital ER, or on the housing zone. If someone has a heart attack on their rack and dies, I don't think that is automatically the fault of the medical people. if someone fills out a sick call for a serious medical problem, or comes to the ER and gets brushed off, and THEN dies or gets very sick, yes that is a very very big problem. I have no doubt the aclu would be very excited about this if it does happen. and by the way, Bailleyjojo is absolutely correct that the aclu is suing (or has sued) the medical company (CMS) in many other states. CMS will be out july 1 anyway but know one seems to know who will be taking over.

onyx
02-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Thanks, and don't worry, I have pretty thick skin . . . lets keep it going!!

PTO-29412
02-12-2006, 12:13 PM
:D sounds good to me! What is our next topic of debate folks?!?

onyx
02-13-2006, 12:25 PM
by the way, the medical provider (Correctional Medical services) and the MDOC have had a bit of a rocky relationship. I think a lot people look at the two as one entity, but CMS hires its own employees, has its own chain of command, and sometimes what is a priority for CMS is not a priority for MDOC, and vice versa.

CMS medical staff are basically contract employees. they work for CMS and not for MDOC. Also remember that there are five private prisons scattered across the state and all of those have separate medical vendors, or at least someone who has contracted with the private prison to provide care. The mdoc constantly shifts the inmates around from prison to prison, thus it is often difficult to provide "continuity" of medical care.

many of the medical staff (doctors, nurses, dentists, mental health workers) were employees of UMC before the CMS contract started in 2003. If they were around before 1998 when UMC took over the contract, they were probably MDOC employees. MDOC and UMC "split" in 2003 over $ and other issues, like most divorces, the big issue was money . . .

PTO-29412
02-13-2006, 06:02 PM
I never realized that, very intresting

onyx
02-15-2006, 08:05 AM
generally, the security staff have been supportive of the medical people. this includes the lieutenants, sargeants, captains, wardens, and supt. seems the people downtown have the biggest issues with the medical staff. there will be a new contract july 1, and expect to have a new group in charge. this is not really a good thing, but that is just my OPINION, though it seems to be shared by a lot of folks. There are also some pretty good people that are being "run off."

PTO-29412
02-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Is this MDOC's way of weeding out and putting in new? I have always had the impression that CMS and MDOC didn't like one another, and seems like MDOC is trying to get someone in their that will subcomb to their every whim.

I agree this is not a good thing, and having known several of he medical staff at Parchman, and worked with them, I know that do not fit into the "Mold" but are exceptional medical leaders!

onyx
02-17-2006, 09:16 AM
in a word, yes.

I-Care
02-18-2006, 07:50 AM
I do not know what is best for MDOC with medical but I KNOW something needs to happen to IMPROVE the health care of our Loved One's. I know that CMS has some good people working for them. I also know they have some who could care less if a Loved One is really sick or is lying. They get so many without real complaints. I understand that. From a personal expierence I do not think CMS has been so great at CMCF. Not in our opinion of things that have gone on with my Loved One. However, change is not always for the better either. It can ALWAYS GET WORSE!! Sorry Onyx but I work real closely with the Ladies at CMCF and if you can find ONE Loved One who believes that the care is decent I would like to meet them.
"I-Care"

onyx
02-20-2006, 09:59 AM
You make some good points. things were not so great when CMS came in in 2003, but I do think they have gotten better. it is very very difficult to implement major changes in a short time, especially without the support of MDOC. There are many people who have literally had their lives saved by the medical folks there, but it is easy to focus just on the people that are unhappy.

PTO-29412
02-20-2006, 03:37 PM
I will agree with you on this ONYX, I do know for a fact things were 110% worse in 2001-2003, and I know some changes have been implemented.

I think we are all blaming CMS, when we in fact should be blaming MDOC because they are NOT allowing CMS to do the job they were hired to do.

I-Care
02-21-2006, 03:22 AM
I am not looking to place "blame". I am praying for "medical treatment" for our Loved One's. Let's not forget why we are here. We are their "voice from the Wilderness". Just because things may be better since 2001-2003 does not mean that their medical needs are being met. Onynx, I really believe that you care and I would like to see many more like you who "cares". I must add that concentrating on "unhappy" undividuals is not the page we are on at all. Their are many sick Loves One's who are not receiving proper medial care that they need. Rather it is MDOC or whom ever that needs to improve in order for this to happen.
"I-Care"

onyx
02-21-2006, 04:09 PM
thanks. I am not trying to take up for cms, they are just a company that was hired by the MDOC. I do think they have done some good things, primarily, to bring in some good people that (mostly!) seem to know what they are doing. they also seem to have weeded out some of the people that dont care, don't know what their doing, or have a bad attitude. there is still a ways to go.

I am mainly worried that MDOC is tossing out this company (like it tossed out the previous one, and will eventually toss out the one thats coming in) simply because they are trying to be cheap and only wnat to keep their political cronys happy and rich. that is why you will always always see only the sickest people at cmcf and parchman.

believe it or not, the medical people that I know at cmcf are not therre because they cant work anywhere else, or have criminal records themselves, or any other such silly gossip. they work there because they are like anyone else, they want to do their job right and be paid for it, and be treated farly by their bosses, and not get hassled. most of them really do care and really do want to do the right thing. unfortunately, anyone that is critical of the system or mdoc risks losing their job, or WORSE (yes, there are rumors of security "finding" contraband on people, or their cars).

centurybell
05-07-2006, 09:23 PM
If you have the name of anyone who helped at CMCF would you pass it on
you can reach me at *removed e-mail address per PTO policy*
also if anyone is entering the system for the first time and i can help with information please feel free to write , i have been dealing with the system many years
the problem would much easier if i could find someone who has dealt with CMCF and had a positive out come ,this is a paperwork error that is causing my son to be in pc

praying_pixie
08-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Can you write an inmate while they are in processing? If so does anyone know how you address it?

I-Care
08-20-2006, 06:26 AM
I am assuming that they are at CMCF for processing right?? I would call CMCF and ask what the correct address is to use to write to my loved one. Do you have their MDOC number yet? If not explain that to the person you speak with and maybe they can help or you can got to the MDOC website and do an "inmate search" and see if their MDOC number has been assigned. CMCF phone number is:
(601) 932-2880

onyx
08-24-2006, 12:35 PM
i hear that mdoc fired the only doctor delivering babies at cmcf and now they will just send the women to the ER-also, some other doctors got fired?

I-Care
08-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Onyx,
Are the women not given ANY prenatal care at all?? What is the name of the new company that took over? I see Dr. Blackston is now with a hopsital in Jackson, University I think I read.
What is your opinion of the new medical company. Feel free to PM me that response.

THANKS
"I-Care"

onyx
08-26-2006, 02:18 PM
imho, the new company, wexford, is basically crooked as they can be.

I-Care
08-27-2006, 04:58 AM
Yes, I did a Google search on them and LOTS of lawsuits. OH MY!!
Thanks...

onyx
08-27-2006, 04:00 PM
they are only in it for the short term. theyr contract is for 91 million for three years, I dout they will be there that long.

lostlynn
08-08-2007, 06:46 PM
:angry: can anyone tell me how a drug charge is considered a violent crime? my fiancee' was sent to cmcf according to my calender, 58 days, but he was told cmcf only goes by business days. is this true also? everytime i try and talk to someone up there, i run into a brickwall and it's beginning to hurt. can someone help me understand this? this is my first time going through this. i've had uncles and aunts in prisons, but it wasn't the same. we've known each other for 8 yrs. and couldn't be together at that time. he got in trouble before we managed to get together just a year ago. we both knew we were made for each other. he got 2 yrs. for his original charge of producing. it was pieces of a lab in a box. now he's been classified and they put him in b-out or b custody with supervision. please help me.

I-Care
08-09-2007, 05:19 AM
"lostlynn".. Were his drug charges in any way revolving around a "weapon" of any kind? Also CMCF does not determine the offenders "days" by business days. They work the same as all MDOC facilities.

Mrs.Glamma
08-09-2007, 06:34 AM
Felony drug charges in the state of Mississippi are considered a violent offense (producing and sales can potentially cause harm to others).

As for the time question I am lost. Is he just there from county on way to permanent facility? If so he can be there until a bed opens in another facility, usually 4-8 weeks.

They have specific days they move them.

B custody is medium custody

lostlynn
08-09-2007, 05:01 PM
praying pixie the address is cmcf, inmates name and i.d. # p.o. box 88550 pearl,ms 39288. in left bottom corner of envelope, you'll put cmcf or cmcf2, bldg, zone, and possibly bed #, if not in cmcf 2 then you'll put cmcf, bldg r-n-c. good luck on writing place.

lostlynn
08-09-2007, 06:50 PM
dam311 thank you for replying to some of my questions and for introducing me to PTO. i'm just learning about everything, so please be patient with me. i've got alot of questions but don't know where to begin.he asked for a transfer to harrison county, but we don't know if he got it. he has a little over a year to finish out his time. i was told that could take anywhere's from 3 weeks to a year. is this true? if it is, then he could be up there for the remainder of his sentence. his original sentence is 2 yrs. he was house arrest for 3 mths. before he got caught with dirty urine(THC). he's been up there for 58 days now and it seems like years since he's been gone.if anyone ncan give me possibly some good news to look forward to, fill free to e-mail me. god bless ya.

Mrs.Glamma
08-09-2007, 08:28 PM
dam311 thank you for replying to some of my questions and for introducing me to PTO. i'm just learning about everything, so please be patient with me. i've got alot of questions but don't know where to begin.he asked for a transfer to harrison county, but we don't know if he got it. he has a little over a year to finish out his time. i was told that could take anywhere's from 3 weeks to a year. is this true? if it is, then he could be up there for the remainder of his sentence. his original sentence is 2 yrs. he was house arrest for 3 mths. before he got caught with dirty urine(THC). he's been up there for 58 days now and it seems like years since he's been gone.if anyone ncan give me possibly some good news to look forward to, fill free to e-mail me. god bless ya.

He likely will not remain at CMCF the entire time. Most guys there are there for classification, medical or in transit to another facility.

PTO-29412
08-10-2007, 08:48 AM
He will remain at CMCF untill he gets classified and bed space opens at another facilty. Many inmates from private prisons are being moved to state prisons to make room for inmates coming in from California.

So this may take some extra time for him to get transferred. DAM311 is correct on what she said regarding Drugs being a Violent Crime.

The only reason he will stay at CMCF is if he has any type of medical problems.

If he got violated with dirty urine. He could be awaiting open space to go into lock down. They take dirty urine a drugs very seriously. He will likely in this case serve is full sentece in the DOC.

Welcome to PTO, if I can help at all let me know

lostlynn
08-10-2007, 02:49 PM
he was in lockdown for 3 weeks before they moved him to a bed in cmcf2. they say it's still part of r/c but he's in bldg.c,zone b. he's been in there now for almost 5 weeks. is it possible they could move him sooner and to harrison like he requested?

PTO-29412
08-10-2007, 04:02 PM
He will not be moved to Harrison unless he gets A custody. It will take 6-8 weeks in R/C before he gets his custody and unit assignment

Scobra
08-10-2007, 08:04 PM
My niece at CMCF informed me that they've rec'd new canteen sheets. The prices have gone way up!!. Some items have doubled & tripled. The prices were high enough to begin with:angry:

Mrs.Glamma
08-10-2007, 11:46 PM
My niece at CMCF informed me that they've rec'd new canteen sheets. The prices have gone way up!!. Some items have doubled & tripled. The prices were high enough to begin with:angry:

I think I had posted that this was happening a while back. Guys at SMCI were NOT happy campers when they got their list a couple of months ago. I am still hearing about the coffee price!

he was in lockdown for 3 weeks before they moved him to a bed in cmcf2. they say it's still part of r/c but he's in bldg.c,zone b. he's been in there now for almost 5 weeks. is it possible they could move him sooner and to harrison like he requested?

Lostlynn, Everyone going to R&C is on lockdown when they first arrive. Once he has completed the classification process and they determine which facility he is going to they then need have bed available for him before transport. My loved one was in R&C for 6 weeks before going to MSP.
If nothing else, you will learn patience on this journey. He will be moved when they move him.

As Jonathan stated he will not go to a county work center since he has been classified B custody. He will be up for re-classification in a year.

Hang in there.

lostlynn
08-11-2007, 12:23 PM
has anyone heard anything about some inmates getting beat at cmcf on wed. or thurs. because an inmate escaped from r/c and made it to jackson? he got caught at the hospital. he went for injuries due to the razor wire.my fiancee' was one of them that got beat. the lt. used a mop handle and was hitting the inmates on the head, in the ribs, and the back. i'd like to know what can be done about this. i know about the suits and if anyone knows the name of a good lawyer, let me know. who else do i need to contact about this besides the warden?

Mrs.Glamma
08-11-2007, 01:03 PM
has anyone heard anything about some inmates getting beat at cmcf on wed. or thurs. because an inmate escaped from r/c and made it to jackson? he got caught at the hospital. he went for injuries due to the razor wire.my fiancee' was one of them that got beat. the lt. used a mop handle and was hitting the inmates on the head, in the ribs, and the back. i'd like to know what can be done about this. i know about the suits and if anyone knows the name of a good lawyer, let me know. who else do i need to contact about this besides the warden?

I was only told there is a lot of tension and a lot going on. He never ever says what over the phone or in mail as the phones there are monitored.

I am sorry to hear what happened to your guy.

I-Care
08-12-2007, 07:28 AM
Very sorry to hear this happened to your love one. I have not heard of anything like this going on at CMCF and hate to hear it. However if they send ALL ill inmates to CMCF eventually there has to be problems. That is how they are currently doing things. I also think if you transfer any where you have to go through CMCF but not real sure about that. I know someone being transferred and they sent him to CMCF Friday and he will go on to the next facility this week. Maybe it was because of a weekend coming, not sure.

I pray for safety for all our love ones..

lostlynn
08-12-2007, 02:22 PM
i keep hearing the ill ones go to cmcf. my guy's not sick. he went from harrison county to cmcf to msp then back to cmcf. he's now been at cmcf 2 mths. his p.o. really messed him up. told him 30 days. now he won't straighten out his mess. my guy said guys coming in after him has already been shipped somewhere else. they're shipped off between 7 to 10 days after they arrive at cmcf. we don't understand why he's still at cmcf. please help

Mrs.Glamma
08-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Lostlynn, as was said earlier male inmates go to CMCF for receiving and classification or for medical or while waiting transit to another location (transfers).

It sounds to me like he is in transit if he already went to Parchman. It is a matter of them deciding where he is going and a bed to open up. There are a lot of movement issues due to incidents at MSP. There is nothing the PO can do.

lostlynn
08-12-2007, 07:02 PM
can anyone tell me if the super of the work centers can immediatly have someone transfered if their life is in jeopardy?

Mrs.Glamma
08-12-2007, 08:51 PM
can anyone tell me if the super of the work centers can immediatly have someone transfered if their life is in jeopardy?

B Custody is not eligible for Work Centers.
If he feels his life is in danger, he needs to ask for Protective Custody.
I am really sorry you are going through such a rough time.

I-Care
08-13-2007, 07:56 AM
Prices have gone up on new canteen sheet. WAY more than expected. Some items are in larger containers ( tuna for example)and they have more of a variety ( some new things have been added). I was told something about the little packets of mayo like we get at a hamburger joint being 20 cents a packet. I have not seen a copy of the new sheets yet but sure would like too.

"lostlynn".. I agree with Dam 311 if there is ever a need he must ask for PC custody ASAP. There is a lot going on and shuffling around of inmates currently and all are going through CMCF so there has to be a backlog and the process has to be slow going. Sending prayers that he will soon be located where he needs to be ( remembering he can only be in certain places with his custody level).

Kelly05
08-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Hi Everyone!
My boyfriend just got transferd to CMCF to wait on an opening at the WGCF! i went to the MDOC website and it says that his location is at CMCF and unit CMCF 2 can anyone tell me about that?! And does anyone kow how long it takes to get outta CMCF?

PTO-29412
08-29-2007, 02:42 PM
CMCF 2 is the receiving and classification unit. Everyone goes through this unit first.

He will be there likely 4-6 weeks, sometimes less, sometimes more depending on assignments etc. and availability.

Kelly05
08-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks!;)

Bfrq
01-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Seems this thread hasn't been posted on in a while, but my son was just sent to Rankin for classification, he's an insulin dependant diabetic and some of the stuff I've read here is scaring me bad. He was in Leflore County Jail until this past Thursday and the medical care he got there was pathetic. No matter what he told them or what I tried to tell them made any difference. We had so hoped that by going to Rankin he would at least get proper medical care. Proper treatment of his condition is extremely important and it seems from his treatment there and reading about the medical treatment of Rankin he's just plain screwed! Right now all he's getting is one shot a day. No sliding scale, no glucose testing. He won't see a doctor until Monday, maybe! This is WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

I-Care
01-26-2008, 01:39 PM
I imagine he will stay at CMCF due to "Medical".. I have a friend whose son is there and she went through about the same. I will send you a PM message and maybe we can hook you up with her because she is VERY HELPFUL.....

I-Care
02-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Can someone explain how the "emergency" visits work. I think they are called "emergency visits" at CMCF. I know you have 2 per year but if you have one is it in open area visiting like a usual visit or behind a glass if they are B custody and how long can that visit be for ( 3 hours or how long)?? If you asked for one of these who do you go through, Mrs. Bingham??

Thanks ahead of time for any one who knows these answers. I have a family member asking me to find out this info..

Mrs.Glamma
02-23-2008, 09:12 PM
I-Care, you may mean "Special Visits?" Inmates are allowed 2 "special" visits which are actually held on facility visit days just like regualr visits but on the units "off" visit days.i.e. rather than going on the 2nd or 4th sat. you could go on the 3rd. Approval goes through the warden's office for the area the inmate is in. I don't know about "emergency visits."
I would call the assistant warden for the area or the visitation officer who will pass to Assist warden.

I-Care
02-24-2008, 02:37 AM
Glamma... Yes, I was wrong, they are called special visits...THANKS!!I will pass on the info to my family...

Bless Ya...

callback
03-01-2008, 12:12 AM
This is very true, however the only way to get anything done or to get better is to go to the doctor. As I said before I do not think they should charge inmates for medical care. But realisticly if you were in the free world you would also wait hours to see a doctor, and then you would pay 10 times that to see him. As I said before. MDOC is being sued due to the medical problem, and MDOC will not win, and the $6.00 will not be a legitimate complaint. Also if the medical probem is legitimate then they will get proper attention. I always did.

It is my understanding that the $6 is not usually charged for necessary medical care. Of course, we all have different definitions of what "necessary" means.

callback
03-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Hi Everyone!
My boyfriend just got transferd to CMCF to wait on an opening at the WGCF! i went to the MDOC website and it says that his location is at CMCF and unit CMCF 2 can anyone tell me about that?! And does anyone kow how long it takes to get outta CMCF?

Just so that you know, if he is waiting for a transfer to WGCF he may very well be at CMCF 1 (R & C unit) instead of CMCF 2 (Quick Bed). Youthful offenders are often housed at R & C instead of Quick Bed, due to the ability to segregate them in cells instead of leaving them in open bay.

I-Care
03-01-2008, 03:16 AM
"Call back".. It is my understanding all visits are 6 dollars UNLESS your next visits are classsified as "Follow Up"... Good example is diabetes. If you go once and have follow up appt's they are not suppose to be charging for follow up's. I hear from some that they do but my love one has been at CMCF for 6 years and as I understand it she has never been charged for a follow up. She knows to ask that be put on the slip though for the next visit.

Also I undertand they are beginning to seperate the "youthful" offenders on the women's side too. I was glad to hear that.

callback
03-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Also I undertand they are beginning to seperate the "youthful" offenders on the women's side too. I was glad to hear that.

Now THAT is news to me. Do you know where they are housing "youthful" female offenders?

meloo38
03-01-2008, 10:57 PM
I-Care, I can tell you my fiance has diabetes and high bp and it is my understanding that he gets charged EVERY time he goes. He gets charged to go just to get a refill on his meds. AND on top of that, they will only see him for one thing at a time, so if he has several things that need to be tended to, he has to submit a separate request for each one. He has to determine which one is most important, etc. AND he has been out of his bp meds for close to a month before and had to put in repeated requests to be seen for a refill. It is VERY frustrating!!

It is my understanding all visits are 6 dollars UNLESS your next visits are classsified as "Follow Up"... Good example is diabetes. If you go once and have follow up appt's they are not suppose to be charging for follow up's. I hear from some that they do but my love one has been at CMCF for 6 years and as I understand it she has never been charged for a follow up. She knows to ask that be put on the slip though for the next visit.

onyx
03-02-2008, 07:38 AM
According to MDOC policy, the inmate is not supposed to be charged when submitting a sick call request for:
a) any truly urgent or emergency request
b) medication refill
c) chronic care visit
d) followup visit for a problem that has been addressed by medical.

Now, just stating on the sick call that the problem is a "followup" because you have diabetes or another medical problem does not mean that the patient will be charged for the sick call request. I think the terminology the MDOC uses is "inmate initiated sick call."

In other words, if you have diabetes and you submit a sick call because you want medical treatment for a headache, then you will probably be charged $6. If you have diabetes and you have a headache because your blood sugar is 600 and you are dehydrated, you should not be charged a sick call.

There is a mechanism for the inmates to challenge any sick call charge that they feel is not levied appropriately. Sometimes the decision to charge the sick call fee is left to the nurse and thus it is not always the right decision.

hope this helps. this is the way it is SUPPOSED to work and granted may not be the way it works all the time.

I-Care
03-02-2008, 08:33 AM
Oh thanks "onyx".. VERY WELL EXPLAINED!!!
TREMENDOUS HELP!!

meloo38
03-02-2008, 12:32 PM
By the way, I spoke to my sweetie this morning and asked him about it, he said he is not being charged for followups or anything that has to do with his diabetes or high bp. However, he is still struggling to see the doctor when requested. Most recently he submitted a request, saw the nurse, was told he would come back to see the dr, when he went back, he only got to see the nurse again. Also, they had put him on Niacin tabs, we have no idea why, and his blood sugar has not been below 300 since he started taking them. He told me today that he is not going to take them anymore, he stopped on Friday and his bs was down to 167 on Saturday. He has a request in to see the dr. So we will see how it all works out. Thanks Onyx for that excellent info!!

edsis
04-09-2008, 08:30 PM
I am very upset at the medical attention or lack of medical attention my brother is getting. His foot went numb and all they say is fill out a sick call slip and now it has spread to his leg. He no longer has feeling in his leg. I have called the chief of medical I dont know how much it will help if at all but I feel so helpless. If anyone has any suggestions for me to help my brother please tell me I'm new at this.

Mrs.Glamma
04-09-2008, 08:48 PM
I am very upset at the medical attention or lack of medical attention my brother is getting. His foot went numb and all they say is fill out a sick call slip and now it has spread to his leg. He no longer has feeling in his leg. I have called the chief of medical I dont know how much it will help if at all but I feel so helpless. If anyone has any suggestions for me to help my brother please tell me I'm new at this.

If you did not actually talk to Dr. Liddell, email her. She will reply and she will look into the matter.
Keeping your brother in prayers.
All my best.

doodler10
09-19-2009, 08:40 PM
I have a question?
My friend arrived at MDOC CMCF. He has been classified but he is still there. He has medical problems. A colostomy, Kidney Stones and a drain tube from a ruptured abscess. The drain tube came out on its own. Should have been removed . He did not long after he got there. He did not have the money for the co-pay ( at that time) so he did not get to see the Doctor. He has lost a lot of weight. He is supposed to eat slow and eat many small meals a day. Today is the first day that he was able to get a snack. They had to put him on a diet tray before giving a snack..... He has seen the nurse several times but not the doctor. The Nurse stated that he needs to see the doctor but he saw the nurse again. I am worried about infection. He just barley gets the supplies to change the bag. No seals and no wipes. Any information reguarding who I need to talk to would be appreciated.

PTO-29412
09-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Call the main MDOC # (601) 359-5600

Ask to speak to the Medical Director's Office.

They will be able to assist, you - you should have all his information ready and in front of you to discuss with them

Nadadoc
10-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Calling the MDOC Medical Director is one idea and you will get attention there, however that request is then sent as a memo to the facility and often gets set aside depending on who gets it. At CMCF you need to call the main number (601)-932-2880 and choose extension 6245. Barring this, ask to be transferred to the Health Services Administrator (HSA). This person works directly for the MDOC Medical Director and his job is to follow up on family complaints and concerns and compliance in the Medical Service which is managed by a vendor. I hope this is helpful.
ps...you also noted the inmate was not seen as he did not have the co-pay. As long as an inmate places a sick call, they must be seen in clinic. If it is a non chronic issue they will be charged but it goes to the inmate account. If there is nothing in the account it will sit there until a depositt has been made and the $6 will be deducted. As any other healthcare service, the CMCF Medical Service cannot refuse to see a patient. That does not mean there may not be some other issue regarding MDOC.

I have a question?
My friend arrived at MDOC CMCF. He has been classified but he is still there. He has medical problems. A colostomy, Kidney Stones and a drain tube from a ruptured abscess. The drain tube came out on its own. Should have been removed . He did not long after he got there. He did not have the money for the co-pay ( at that time) so he did not get to see the Doctor. He has lost a lot of weight. He is supposed to eat slow and eat many small meals a day. Today is the first day that he was able to get a snack. They had to put him on a diet tray before giving a snack..... He has seen the nurse several times but not the doctor. The Nurse stated that he needs to see the doctor but he saw the nurse again. I am worried about infection. He just barley gets the supplies to change the bag. No seals and no wipes. Any information reguarding who I need to talk to would be appreciated.