View Full Version : Mississippi State Parole Board - and Eligibility Information

PTO-29412
09-25-2006, 01:26 AM
State of Mississippi Parole Board:
http://www.mpb.state.ms.us/ (http://www.mpb.state.ms.us/)

Depending on an inmate’s sentence, some inmates are eligible to serve part of their sentence on parole. Although an inmate may be eligible for parole, it is not a guarantee that the inmate will be granted parole.

A list of all inmates eligible for parole is generated by the Mississippi Department of Corrections and sent to the Mississippi Parole Board. The cases of the inmates on the list are reviewed by the Parole Board and a decision is made to grant or deny a parole hearing.

At a parole hearing, the inmate’s file is reviewed, including any rule violations during incarceration.

Listed below are the three main recent laws that affect the current inmate population:

Parole Eligible/Earned Release
- Crimes committed before June 30, 1995
- offenders were required to serve 25% of their sentence
- eligible for parole after 25% of time served
- offender can “flat time” after serving only 50% of their sentence
(offender is eligible for release)
- Sex offenders, habitual offenders or offenders with life sentences are not eligible

Truth in Sentencing
- Crimes committed from July 1, 1995 – December 31, 1999
- every offender must serve 85% of their sentence in incarceration
- remaining 15% of sentence served on in Community Services under ERS supervision

First Time Nonviolent Offenders Eligibility (Senate Bill 3028)
- Crimes committed from January 1, 2000 - current
- passed by the legislature March 12, 2001
- non-violent first time offenders must serve 25% of their sentence in incarceration, then eligible for parole consideration

Example reasons that contribute to parole denial include:

Serious nature of offense
Number of offenses committed
Psychological and/or psychiatric history
Recent/pending disciplinary action
Community opposition
Insufficient time served
Prior misdemeanor or felony conviction (s)
Police and/or juvenile record
History of drug or alcohol abuse

Fox
10-31-2006, 09:00 PM
My love has been locked up for the last 4 years for homicide and has a life sentence with parole. Everytime he comes up for parole, it always comes back as denied and it seems as if the parole board always use the same answer for why his parole was denied. I have copies of all the paper work from when he went up in front of the parole board. These last three years we have been together, he has gotten his GED, completed several trades, do you think its a chance that he will make parole when he comes up in June? He has NO write ups and I'm constantly on his case about staying out of trouble so he can come home. What do you think his chances are?

PTO-29412
10-31-2006, 09:53 PM
You must improve on what he was denied on.

If it was no community support - then got pastors, lawyers, friends, family to write recommendation letters.

Not served enough time - you cannot do much about

The letters are a good thinkg to do regardless - as that will help him. His chances varys - also depends on if he has anyone writing the parole board from a victims point of view - which if they write and show objection to his release then he would likely be denied.

sweetazalea
01-05-2007, 05:25 PM
what happens when you have 2 felonys, only one current, one old, how does parole work?

PTO-29412
01-05-2007, 05:59 PM
depends on the conviction and time served.

sweetazalea
01-05-2007, 10:56 PM
He was sentenced in 04 for shoplifting, violated probation, 3 year sentence with credit for time served, and has 269 days according to MDOC inwhich he is getting credit. With the first felony it was for selling drugs, its 13 years old, and he was released, no time served, 2 years probation ended in 97. both charges are for nonviolets, does he have to serve more time since he has 2 felonys? Thanks

PTO-29412
01-08-2007, 09:26 PM
He should be eligible for Parole - however it is much harder to receive if he has 2 felony's as well as violating probation.

The parole board looks at all prior charges - and the State of Mississippi now looks at selling drugs as a violent crime.

Hope this information helps some , I would also suggest calling the Parole board and asking them for information.

sweetazalea
01-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks, what is the time ERS and Parole? Thanks for the suggestions

PTO-29412
01-09-2007, 11:23 PM
ERS - Earned Release Supervision - is good time earned through working specifically classified jobs you earn that over time.

Parole is where a committee decides your release depending upon what you have completed and done while in prison

sweetazalea
01-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks

Mrs.Sterdivant
01-15-2007, 10:47 PM
My Fiancee has a probation violation which is had to back up 10 years. On top of that, he has a new charge for selling drugs which was his first felony charge. His first charge was in 1998 and his second in 2006. Can he be eligible for parole after so long and what can advice can you give me to help him get into a regional facility or satellite......please help!!!!

angieandbryan
05-21-2007, 12:45 AM
My boyfriend has been in prison for 4 years in the past. He is now serving 10 more years. 5 for attempted grand larceny, and 5 for jail escape. He is at SMCI and is serving 30/30. What are the chances of him getting parole? What if he sucesfully completes the drug rehab in there, will that be of help for him getting paroled?

PTO-29412
05-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Unfortunately with a Jail Escape charge he does not have a good chance of getting Paroled out of prison, he also will not be eligible for A custody, and many of the other early release options because of that charge.

AllLockedUp
06-24-2007, 04:30 PM
My fiance is serving 16 yrs for Possession of firearm by a convicted felon and attempting to sell same firearm. All of which he is guilty. They also charged him with burglary, of which he is not. In the end he did a plea agreement with them. He had been out of prison for 12 yrs. when this all came about. Kept a job and provided for his family throughout that 12 yrs. Got into no trouble. He has been in for two yrs now with no write ups or problems. When would he be eliglble for parole?

granny2
06-24-2007, 09:22 PM
jonathon,
can you post any pictures of parchman??
unit 29 k is where he is, but any pictures will do!!
I just would like to see some of the surroundings that he sees.
Do you know how many prisoners are in 29 k?

sweetazalea
06-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Dear All locked up,
It was my experience that because of his previous felony he might had to serve 85% of his current sentence. My b/f had this problem. Good luck

PTO-29412
06-25-2007, 03:40 PM
To answer the first questions:

He will receive a parole date on his time sheet - you must go by that:

Granny - I will post pictures of Parchman soon!

AllLockedUp
06-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks sweet. Thanks Jonathon. Now, how do I go about getting a copy of his time sheet?

Mrs.Glamma
06-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks sweet. Thanks Jonathon. Now, how do I go about getting a copy of his time sheet?

Ask him to send it to you
You can't get it.

Mrs.Glamma
10-06-2007, 04:54 PM
A gentleman who has been incarcerated for for a little over thirteen years would like to know if it is possible to petition the Parole Board for consideration any earlier than his eligibility in 3 1/2 years.

Does anyone know?

PTO-29412
10-08-2007, 08:29 PM
Nope

Mrs.Glamma
10-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Short and sweet. I KNEW the answer, but I PROMISED I would ask.
Thank you.

liroje
11-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Hello Jonathan,

I'm fairly new to PT and the whole system. Can you explain tome the difference between custody levels, for example Custody level A, B and Open C?

Thanks

Mrs.Glamma
11-14-2007, 01:20 AM
Good morning, Well I am not Jonathan but I have the infor you requested. :) It can be found on the MDOC website under Inmate information/Inmate Handbook. The FAQ section is great as well.

All my best.

1. “MOA”- Minimum Out custody shall only be assigned to offenders who have all of the following Characteristics:

a. No requirements for medium, close or maximum custody.
b. No assaultive RVR's within the past twelve months.
c. No RVR’s of any type in the past six months, including RVR’s heard by Area Hearing Officers.
d. No escape from a county jail or institution in the last five years. Escapes over five years old may be considered on a case by case basis. Breach of trust and absconding supervision will be considered on a case by case basis. The Classification Hearing Officer will closely investigate circumstances surrounding the escape, breach of trust or absconding supervision to determine if the offender is a potential escape risk.
e. Demonstrated positive change in behavior if previously in a more restrictive custody, and have good, stable, Institutional work record for the past twelve months.
f. No sex offenses past or present. No violent offenses for CWC placement, Mobile Work Crew or work crews outside the institution. Offenders with violent offenses may be considered for county jail support workers or Community Pre-release Programs if otherwise eligible for that program.
g. Sentences of up to 7 years may be considered for CWC Placement. Offenders convicted of sale of controlled substance must be within 24 months of their earliest release date. Offenders must be within 12 months of their discharge date for placement consideration in a community Pre-release program.
h. Only non-violent, in state, category 1 or 2 detainers will be considered. No out-of-state, federal, or in-state violent detainers. No unstable out-of-state transient status.

2. “MORA” - Minimum Out Restricted custody shall only be assigned to offenders who have all of the following characteristics:

a. No requirements for medium, close or maximum custody.
b. No assaultive RVR within the past 12 months
c. No RVR’s of any type in the past 6 months, including RVR’s heard by Area Hearing officers.
d. No escape from a county jail or institution in the last 5 years. Escapes over 5 years old may be considered on a case by case basis. Breach of trust and absconding supervision will be considered on a case by case basis. The Classification Hearing Officer will closely investigate circumstances surrounding the escape, breach of trust or absconding supervision to determine if the offender is a potential escape risk. Offenders who have documented escape from community based programs, i.e., ERS and ISP, within the past 12 months may be considered for Minimum Out Restricted which requires direct supervision by a MDOC work Supervisor at all times. Supervisors will be responsible for the direct supervision of this category offender and will be required to sign documentation for the hearing officer acknowledging responsibility.
e. Demonstrated positive change in behavior if previously in a more restrictive custody, and have good, stable, institutional work record for the past 12 months.
f. Sexual offenses may be considered on a case by case basis.
g. Must be within 72 months of earliest release date.
h. Only non-violent , in state, category 1 or 2 detainers will be considered. No out-of –state, federal, or in-state violent detainers. No unstable out-of-state transient status.

3. “MOB” - Medium out Custody shall be assigned to offenders with one or more of the following characteristics:

a. No assaultive RVR within the past 6 months
b. One non-assaultive RVR within the past 12 months. No more than 3 RVR’s of any type in the past 24 months (different dates).
c. If an escape from an institution or community program, he can be reviewed after 12 months in close/ maximum custody.
d. Demonstrated positive change in behavior if in close custody before assignment to medium custody. Good work record for the past 12 months.

4. “MORB” - Medium Out Restricted custody shall be assigned to offenders
who have the following characteristics:

a. No requirements for close or maximum custody.
b. One assaultive RVR without a weapon within the past 12 months.
c. Two or more non-assaultive RVR’s within the past 12 months. No more than 4 RVR’s of any type in the past 12 months (different dates).
d. If an escape from an institution or community program, he can be reviewed after 12 months in close/ maximum custody.
e. Demonstrated positive changes in behavior if in close custody before assignment to medium custody and has a good work record for the past 12 months.

5. “C” - Close custody shall be assigned to offenders with one or more of the following characteristics:

a. Two or more assaultive RVR’s within the past 12 months.
b. Inciting or engaging in a major disturbance or riot.
c. Five or more RVR’s within the past 12 months (different dates).
d. Escape returnee on initial assignment upon re-entry. Eligible for reclassification consideration to medium out restricted custody after 12 months.
e. Following release from maximum custody.
f. Current violent offense and 1 more adult disciplinary convictions within the past 12 months.
g. All offenders while in Reception and Admission Center are automatically classified “C” custody offenders and housed in maximum security units during the initial classification process and until all information data is collected and evaluated for initial assignment.
h. An offender with a long-term and/ or several heinous crimes may be placed in “C” custody housing for a period of adjustment that may be extended.

6. “D” - Maximum custody shall be assigned to offenders who meet the following classification characteristics:

a. Constitutes a threat to the physical safety of other offenders or staff.
b. Constitutes a threat to the order and security of the institution or as evidenced by repeated serious disciplinary violations.
c. Constitutes a threat to the physical safety of other offenders or staff due to having been identified as a member of a threat group.
d. Fails to comply with the agency’s grooming policy.
e. Constitutes a threat to the integrity of an investigation.
f. Is a current escape risk.
g. Pre-hearing detention or in lieu of pre-hearing detention to preserve immediate security of management of the institution.

7. “CP” - County Prisoner or Death Row status requires the highest level of custody supervision available. Offenders in this status are precluded from assignment to a principal custody designation.

newrelease
11-27-2007, 12:44 AM
wow-how in the world can you get life and then alreadycome up for parole???My son got convicted of aggrevated assult at 18 years of age firsttime of ever being before a judge in his life-got sentenced to 20 years and has served over six years and never once came up for parole! need some info on how it can be doneplease! wouldbuy all of his timeif i knew how to do that!!

Bfrq
02-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Is there such a thing in Mississippi as "Shock Probation", can only find info for Ohio on it, seems the term has been changed to "Judicial Release". Anybody got any information on this kind of release, or have a web addy I could go to? Appreciate any info. Thanks.

patticake
02-23-2008, 09:31 PM
newrelease, your story is mine exactly except we've been here 2 yrs longer. I want to know too.

ahannah1561
03-31-2008, 01:16 PM
I have a question on this subject, I am from Illinois and Mississippi is just diffrent. what is the diffrence between ERS and Parol? when you come up for ERS do you got to go infront of the parol board?

ahannah1561
03-31-2008, 01:23 PM
ok i found my own answer to my own question, now i got another one. i got his time sheet the other day. he is trustee satus he gets 30 for 30 and he gets met time. he is up to like 71 days there. also gots 355 days from county so the way he writes it he has 13mths till he can get out on ERS. can he go to the parol board before that time or does he even have to go to the board?

JohnG77777
04-02-2008, 08:23 AM
If he is eligible for ERS, it will be granted if all requirements are met for the outside world - it will start with an audit of his record to make sure he is eligible (make sure you understand these requirements - I think they are on the MDOC website somewhere). Then, he must meet housing requirements which I believe include moving in with a responsible person and having a telephone with no buzzes and whistles such as call-forwarding. It must be a phone that plug into the wall - not a cell phone. He must live in MS for the entire time on ERS and cannot cross the state line - there are curfew hours and if they call, he better be there. He will lose the 30-30 while on ERS and serve the remaining time in MS. Good Luck! JG

ahannah1561
04-09-2008, 12:37 PM
thanks john, now let me ask you this. yesterday he got classified to MOB and has 13pts and 8 months rvr free. he works in the library and goes to night school, are there any other programs availible that can bring him home sooner. what about going back to the judge who ruled his case and asking for a reduced sentence? he has done over 1/2 his senence (without any earned time) he has gotten his GED and drug and achohol classes.

PTO-29412
04-09-2008, 02:59 PM
I would suggest asking for a sentence reduction, but I would say your best bet his him hitting A custody and trying for Parole under the new law that just passed

kgriffin
05-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Dear Jonathan,

I would like to know what my husband chances of getting parole. He has 1 possession of a firearm charge and 2 simple possession to cocaine. He was sentenced to 13 years. He has served 2 years already. He is A restricted, currently attending Drug and Alcohol and has been RVR free for 2 years. Furthermore, do you know what method of selecting the inmates the parole board is going by. The new law requires nonviolent offenders to do 1/4 of their time so 1/4 of 13 will be 3 years and a couple of months and if that's the case in August of this year he will have done 4 years and some odd months with his trusty time. So what do you think we need to do about getting him to go before the parole board?

PTO-29412
05-03-2008, 08:02 PM
I do not know the method of selction, I believe it is automated.

As for his eligibility, it sounds as if he is on the right track. He needs to enter all the programs that he can, and stay on the right track.

If he stays at A custody his chances are improved.

savebrettjones
06-12-2008, 09:27 AM
where can I find the new law that passed on the 85%. Does anyone have the name or number for that law. I think it passed just recently. Thanks

judykay
06-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Mississippi senate bill 2136 is the new law that passed on April 9, 2008.

savebrettjones
06-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks, that's what I thought. I'm confused though. I am supporting a boy at Walnut Grove (not Jones, another inmate) who took a 4-1/2 year plea deal for 2 counts of armed robbery. He was I believe 14 or 15 years old at the time. Anyway, he says that his case manager told him a couple of weeks ago that he is eligible under the new law for early release (85% law). His release date is 7-17-09 and he is now saying she told him he could be released in December, 08 (about 6 months early). He had no information, not even the Bill name or number but did say his case manager told him it applied to him.

I'm wondering, how can it? Isn't armed robbery considered a violent offense. His parents are of no help and are indifferent to him being released early. I told him I would try to find something out, but I feel that truthfully, how can it apply to him? Could he have been classified as non-violent somehow during the plea or sentencing? He was defended by the Farese Law Firm, TN- which I know has quite a reputation. Can anyone help me with this? Did they somehow get him a non-violent offender status during the plea? Do you think I would need to contact the firm?

mgriner
04-16-2009, 09:34 AM
I understand that the Gov. of Mississippi just signed a new law about the first time non-violent offenders being eligible for parole after serving 25% of sentence. I have been trying to find this law but have been unable to get a number for it. Does anyone have this information? Would appreciate a copy of this law.

msearp99
04-16-2009, 11:07 PM
i am not aware of a signed bill recently meeting this criteria
These are a few of the recently signed bills.:

SB2039
- Removes the cap on meritorious earned time.
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2009/pdf/history/SB/SB2039.xml

SB2880
- Intensive supervision; remove 1-year limitation on placement and the restriction on placing certain drug offenders in the program.
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2009/pdf/history/SB/SB2880.xml

the link to search for those bills whether alive or not is:
in the HOUSE Of REP
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2009/pdf/h_cmte.xml
in the SENATE
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2009/pdf/s_cmte.xml

GO to "corrections" at each link.

Also there are current ER( early release) paroles being allowed only if suggested by the Parole Board from MDOC recommendation. the indication was under 1k inmates , if I remember correctly.

Search the archives here and for ER and those threads can be located.

Hope this helps.

I understand that the Gov. of Mississippi just signed a new law about the first time non-violent offenders being eligible for parole after serving 25% of sentence. I have been trying to find this law but have been unable to get a number for it. Does anyone have this information? Would appreciate a copy of this law.

maddogg10
05-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Based on these two Bills would my fiance be eligible for early release. She is serving a 5yr sentence for Mfg. of Meth; convicted December 2008. She is presently at BCRCF for Long Term A/D program. She has been assigned work at Delta State awaiting her program that starts in September 2009. Her parole date is March 2010.

Can she be approved for early release and placed on house arrest until
parole date? I imagine this would have to be approved by parole committee via MDOC. Am I correct or incorrect? maddogg10:angry:

maddogg10
05-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks again for info, although, per Bill # 2039, and #2880 considered in 2009 were signed by Governor Haly Barbour. I believe both of these bills pertain to non-violent crimes. #2880 refers to certain drug related crimes. Mfg. of meth was considered violent but is now non-violent. Also Jonathen, a crime of this nature falls into a category for only doing 25% of sentence. This is when parole hearing would take place. A long term A/D program has been court ordered but will not start until September 2009, in which program was missed May 2009. Is there a possibility for ERS or ISP if parole board were to hear a case prior to completing 25%? The crime was committed Nov. 2008 in which incarceration began. MET time and good behavior, no RVR's, during time spent prior to A/D I hope would warrent a early hearing by parole committee. Is this the case? Also one other question, would prior felony convictions with no incarceration hinder ERS or ISP possibilities. There was no mention in these two bills, #2039, #2880, as a hinderence for ERS or ISP by parole board via MDOC. This crime was introduced as a first time offence.

Thanks again for your info, but does your info apply to #2039 and #2880 which were passed in 2009? Regards. maddogg10 :angry:

ps: Would having an attorney submit a request to parole committee and/or MDOC for possible ERS or ISP?

msearp99
05-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Welcome----
I am confused with your question of :but does your info apply to #2039 and #2880 which were passed in 2009?'

what is 'Your info"....?

Thanks...

Thanks again for info, although, per Bill # 2039, and #2880 considered in 2009 were signed by Governor Haly Barbour. I believe both of these bills pertain to non-violent crimes. #2880 refers to certain drug related crimes. Mfg. of meth was considered violent but is now non-violent. Also Jonathen, a crime of this nature falls into a category for only doing 25% of sentence. This is when parole hearing would take place. A long term A/D program has been court ordered but will not start until September 2009, in which program was missed May 2009. Is there a possibility for ERS or ISP if parole board were to hear a case prior to completing 25%? The crime was committed Nov. 2008 in which incarceration began. MET time and good behavior, no RVR's, during time spent prior to A/D I hope would warrent a early hearing by parole committee. Is this the case? Also one other question, would prior felony convictions with no incarceration hinder ERS or ISP possibilities. There was no mention in these two bills, #2039, #2880, as a hinderence for ERS or ISP by parole board via MDOC. This crime was introduced as a first time offence.

Thanks again for your info, but does your info apply to #2039 and #2880 which were passed in 2009? Regards. maddogg10 :angry:

ps: Would having an attorney submit a request to parole committee and/or MDOC for possible ERS or ISP?

msearp99
05-07-2009, 11:27 AM
also, to help you clarify if your loved one is eligible for ERS or other possible parole options, you can call or write Stephanie Skipper of MDOC-

Phone # 601-354-7716

email is : sskipper@mdoc.state.ms.us

maddogg10
05-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Hey Jonathan,

My fiance has been placed on the docket for early release and be placed on house arrest(ISP). She is still waiting for approval from a certain committee with decision. Approval or not should be soon. The date for release is June 13, 2009.

I have a few questions. Will her release be granted when she is still awaiting A/D program to start in September? Will approval be denied if A/D is court ordered?

Per this info, if denied would a letter form me or my attorney be helpful in putting her on ISP on the June date? Regarding letter after non-approval could we suggest doing A/D outside at a state funded certified center? This would also be long term A/D program.

Final question, who would the letter go to at CMCF, head of House Arrest Committee? This letter would not mention the court ordered issue or parole date set. If denied it would only include a request base on her MET( good behavior, no RVR's).

I pray each day that she is approved.

Thanks for a reply.

Regards,

maddogg10:angry:

You must improve on what he was denied on.

If it was no community support - then got pastors, lawyers, friends, family to write recommendation letters.

Not served enough time - you cannot do much about

The letters are a good thinkg to do regardless - as that will help him. His chances varys - also depends on if he has anyone writing the parole board from a victims point of view - which if they write and show objection to his release then he would likely be denied.

craziesmo
05-14-2009, 01:06 PM
I have a question for Jonathon. My friend was incarcerated in dec. 08. She went in on a dui-death charge. What are the possibilities for her on parole? She recieved 7 years and is recieving 30/30 as of now. Thank you for any helpful info. Also is there anything that I can do to help get her Paroled?

PTO-29412
05-14-2009, 04:29 PM
First Question.

It all depends on the judges orders. If she is ordered to complete A&D then she may have to stay untill that is completed.

I cannot answer this questions, as there is really no way of knowing the outcome

PTO-29412
05-14-2009, 04:31 PM
I have a question for Jonathon. My friend was incarcerated in dec. 08. She went in on a dui-death charge. What are the possibilities for her on parole? She recieved 7 years and is recieving 30/30 as of now. Thank you for any helpful info. Also is there anything that I can do to help get her Paroled?

It is a 50/50 chance.

She needs to show remorse for her crimes. They will take all incarceration history into account. RVR's, etc.

about 3 months before the Parole hearing you should have Recommendation letters sent on her behalf. You, family, community leaders, pastors, lawyers, doctors, anyone you know with a respected position in the community.

THis increases the chance of Parole.

msearp99
05-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Your friend should request a "SENTENCE COMPUTATION SHEET".
This will show dates, parole dates and/or ERS dates ( if applicable.)

Good luck!

papatom
05-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Hey Jonathan,

My fiance has been placed on the docket for early release and be placed on house arrest(ISP). She is still waiting for approval from a certain committee with decision. Approval or not should be soon. The date for release is June 13, 2009.

I have a few questions. Will her release be granted when she is still awaiting A/D program to start in September? Will approval be denied if A/D is court ordered?

Per this info, if denied would a letter form me or my attorney be helpful in putting her on ISP on the June date? Regarding letter after non-approval could we suggest doing A/D outside at a state funded certified center? This would also be long term A/D program.

Final question, who would the letter go to at CMCF, head of House Arrest Committee? This letter would not mention the court ordered issue or parole date set. If denied it would only include a request base on her MET( good behavior, no RVR's).

I pray each day that she is approved.

Thanks for a reply.

Regards,

maddogg10:angry:
The court order A/D can b a tricky thing. Does the court order say attend or complete? If it just states attend, I've seen inmates go 2 or 3 weeks and be shipped out. It is possible to do your A/D treatment on the outside, while on ISP or parole.

tracey46
06-01-2009, 01:53 AM
Hi I'm really confused my boyfriend was convicted for the sale of marijuana and was sentenced to 15 years with 8 suspended in which he has to serve 7 years with 5 on parole how long will he have to serve in prison. He began serving his sentence Sept. 19, 2008. :confused:

PTO-29412
06-01-2009, 04:11 AM
He will have to serve 7 years.

He can get time knocked off that 7 years depending if he works, has good behavior, and participates in programs.

tracey46
06-01-2009, 08:34 AM
He will have to serve 7 years.

He can get time knocked off that 7 years depending if he works, has good behavior, and participates in programs.

Thanks for the info it was really helpful:)

enoughgrace
06-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Does the 25% law apply here Jonathan? He will have to serve 7 years.

enoughgrace
07-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Just found out my friend has a parole date on paper? Two years exactly from his arrest date? That would be 25%. What's up with that Jonathan? I did not think it applied to him? I know they do not have to parole him, but I find that date very odd. What do you think?He should be eligible for Parole - however it is much harder to receive if he has 2 felony's as well as violating probation.

The parole board looks at all prior charges - and the State of Mississippi now looks at selling drugs as a violent crime.

Hope this information helps some , I would also suggest calling the Parole board and asking them for information.

PTO-29412
07-23-2009, 01:42 PM
That is eligible date - not a gurantee of any release. So that isn't 25%

skittles-69
08-21-2009, 01:28 AM
Hey johnathan this question is for you. My husband went to jail in 2004 sentence to 12 years on a manslaughter charge. He is in green and white now and he has visitation every weekend. He is receiving 30/30 trusty law and getting met time. He hasnt had any rvrs or had anything bad happen to him since he been there. Is it possible to give me an idea of when he is coming home? Do he quailfy for ers?

tammy1216
08-23-2009, 11:04 AM
hello johnathan..my husband was sentenced to 15yrs for a sex crime he did not do..he is in black and white..so how does a person that has commited murder get to be in green and white and get to be eligable for the trusty law and the 30/30 program when my husband cannot get that..i know the system is very messed up but you would think that murder would be the worst crime but not these days..they reward the ones that are bad while they are in prison and not the ones that arent...so why are sex offenders not allowed to get the trusty law or te 30/30 program....

skittles-69
08-29-2009, 07:09 PM
hello johnathan..my husband was sentenced to 15yrs for a sex crime he did not do..he is in black and white..so how does a person that has commited murder get to be in green and white and get to be eligable for the trusty law and the 30/30 program when my husband cannot get that..i know the system is very messed up but you would think that murder would be the worst crime but not these days..they reward the ones that are bad while they are in prison and not the ones that arent...so why are sex offenders not allowed to get the trusty law or te 30/30 program....

to tammy well for one it depends on what type of sex crime it is........... My husband is in jail on manslaughter, and yes it is a violent crime as well as any sex crime! He is in green and white because it is close to his time to be released and plus the judge sentenced him 20 years suspended 8 and 12 to serve! But to top it a crime is a crime no matter who does it or how its done! But the colors only mean what you were rated as when you entered the system! They take in consideration what you in for, rvrs, medical history, & etc.

PTO-29412
09-03-2009, 04:38 AM
Hey johnathan this question is for you. My husband went to jail in 2004 sentence to 12 years on a manslaughter charge. He is in green and white now and he has visitation every weekend. He is receiving 30/30 trusty law and getting met time. He hasnt had any rvrs or had anything bad happen to him since he been there. Is it possible to give me an idea of when he is coming home? Do he quailfy for ers?
He should be eligible for ERS - however due to current changes in laws I am not as familar with the time lines as I once was.

He should have received a time sheet which will list all possible release dates on it.

PTO-29412
09-03-2009, 04:42 AM

Tammy - what I say might appear to be mean, but please bear with me.

First of all, if he is in prison - he is guilty - AT LEAST IN THE EYES of the system. He may be innocently convicted, which does happen alot. But the system doesn't look at that. If they did, everyone would claim innocently convicted.

While manslaughter may technically be murder to some, it is a different degree, and many times involuntary, or accidental.

ANY type of sex crime is punished to the fullest extent.

You may want to check out the Loving a Sex Offender forum (LASO) here on PTO so that you may ask these types of questions and learn alot more regarding SO's.

jean2Lr
09-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Johnathan,
My husband went before parole board August 19th. They said we would get the answer in 5 to 10 working days. We still haven't heard a word. Talk about nerve wracking!! Have you ever heard of it taking this long?? Do you think it is a good or a bad sign?:confused:

PTO-29412
09-22-2009, 03:26 AM
You can call the Parole Board and get an answer by now.

jean2Lr
09-22-2009, 06:44 AM
Called last week and they said there was nothing in the computer yet.

yonderbunch
09-23-2009, 08:25 PM
How Long does the A/D program last?

PTO-29412
09-24-2009, 02:21 AM
6 months to 1 year

ckrizman
11-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Jonathan, I'm hoping you can help me out. In 2002, my husband was sentenced to 10 years for a felony charge. Nine of those years were suspended and he served one year. In 2009, he was found guilty of violating his probation, so he was sentenced to his original 10 years with credit for time served. Because he had served one year already, he was left with a term of 9 years. However, the year that he served in 2002 doesn't apply toward the 25% calculation of his parole eligibility date. Any suggestions as to why it doesn't? Can the records department totally discount the year that he has already served when figuring his parole eligibility date? This doesn't make sense to me.

PTO-29412
11-03-2009, 04:43 AM
Probably because the 25% wasn't in affect at that time. They can do that, and there is always a list of reasons why - it could possibly be because of the nature of his charge, that certain laws weren't in effect at that time.

Have you received a time sheet from him yet?

ckrizman
11-03-2009, 04:20 PM
I don't think he has received his time sheet yet. Do you know where I can find resources that explain parole calculation in MS to me? I cannot trust the records department on this issue because I've been told something different every time I call, so I would like to research it myself.

Thanks for the quick reply!

PTO-29412
11-05-2009, 01:30 AM
unfortunately I don't you may want to try contacting your family attorneyq

ckrizman
11-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Jonathan,

Got another question for ya! :) According to all available information I have (state codes, inmate handbook, MDOC website, and crime/punishment chart), my husband qualifies for ISP and/or placement at a restitution center. His case worker is still adament that he does not qualify. She finally ran out of excuses that I rebutted with the legal statutes, so she actually told me that MDOC has their own set of policies and procedures that are not available to the public. Do you know anything about this? I think this lady is talking out of her...anyway, I found a chapter in MS code (25-61-1) that says all policies, standard operating procedures, and forms are available to the public as long as access to this information doesn't compromise the safety of MDOC staff or offenders. What do you think? How can I get her to look at his case? She won't even examine it because she doesn't like his charge and has told me that she thinks he ought to spend the next 9 years in prison. Nice caseworker, huh!

enoughgrace
11-15-2009, 12:54 AM
Hi. I did the same thing with my friend's classification. The woman that classified him was equally as adamant that he should be black and white. But his points and lack of violent sentencing statues qualified him for green and white. A lot hangs on green and white and it was important. I came here repeatedly and Jonathan was here a lot more then. He just kept on redirecting me. I kept politely asking the questions but it was not until an old caseworker left and a new one came on that he was reclassified just like that. And now he can progress through the system more quickly If there is such a thing). So, just keep it up. Keep being polite though. That works better than anything else. And keep asking who your are speaking with and then ask for someone else next time until you find someone who will help you. And then just pray and have a little faith. The combination seems to work. Good luck. Grace.I don't think he has received his time sheet yet. Do you know where I can find resources that explain parole calculation in MS to me? I cannot trust the records department on this issue because I've been told something different every time I call, so I would like to research it myself.

Thanks for the quick reply!

PTO-29412
11-15-2009, 09:12 AM
If you cannot get answers there, work your way up the food chain - Head Case Worker over the prison, Warden's office, Superintendent's office, Commisioner's office.

Tell them all that you told me -

Now - consider this - does he have RVR's that you aren't aware of - any discilinary actions you aren't aware of - gang activities you aren't aware of. If any of those answers are yes - he might NOT be available. And you need to know this before calling.

However call, explain your story, have all the information at your finger tips, be polite, ask for names of who you are talking to, that way you can tell the next person I talked to Miss Adams in Classification and they have a trail to follow.

You may spend 5 hours on the phone before you get an answer, but you will eventually get an answer.

The Commisioner's office is always extremly polite and helpful when I have called on any issues, and they always are able to look into the matter and get back to me, or have it dealt with quickly.

ckrizman
11-15-2009, 10:55 AM
I am polite to these people every time I talk to them, but it gets harder and harder to remain that way! Unfortunately, there is only one case worker where my husband is located, and I'm not getting anywhere with her. I've considered going to the warden, but my husband is afraid they will label him as a troublemaker and move him to Parchman if I do that. Last week, I contacted Commissioner Epps via e-mail regarding ISP, and he referred my case to the ISP supervisor, Ms. Jones. I have yet to hear from her, though.

As far as RVRs, gang-related activities, and other disciplinary actions...he has no dicipline problems whatsoever, nor has he since he's been locked up. I've called to make sure of that.

I guess I'll just keep calling. They can't ignore me forever!

Thanks for the reply!

JohnG77777
11-16-2009, 03:04 PM
You are right where you need to be with getting your info... I would let exactly one week go by and if no word, I would send a follow-up email to Comm Epps... he will not play around with this person if he has to tell her twice to get you the requested info! You will get a very fast response! Good Luck! JohnG

ckrizman
11-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks John. We all need some encouragement at this point or else we wouldn't be here! :)

msearp99
11-16-2009, 10:21 PM
i agree w/ John - there have been occasions we've sent email 4 or 5 times to get a reply regarding matters at CMCF. Its their job to answer inquires from the public, granted they are bound by policy in some things they can NOT discuss. We find we get a reply quicker and to the point if we ask "when this matter will be handled and by whom"......

PTO-29412
11-16-2009, 11:02 PM
I second what John said - Epps doesn't play when it comes to helping families

PTO-29412
11-16-2009, 11:03 PM
ALSO - when re-contacting him, reply using the email from him, so he sees for his records he already gave the other person time to respond.

ckrizman
11-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Has anyone heard of such a thing called a hardship parole? If so, can anyone tell me anything about it?

PTO-29412
11-24-2009, 12:58 AM
I have, and it is next to impossible to get, and only for certain crimes. I don't know of any other information - I would suggest contacting the Parole Board

doodler10
01-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Inmate is on Draft to go to satilite. How can I find out where he will be sent?

jean2Lr
01-08-2010, 11:28 AM
calll Chris Epps office. They can tell you

lawdog
01-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Is there a way for the family of an inmate to get any information on what was considered by the parole board, such as, was there any community opposition and if so from whom, was there any opposition from the victim, etc?

ckrizman
01-14-2010, 08:28 PM
From what I've read, when an inmate is denied parole, he will be given the reason in writing from the parole board. I don't know if the inmate must request it or if it is automatically given to the inmate, but the inmate can find out what the general reason for denial is if he wants to. I don't think this information will be forwarded to the family, however...only the inmate.

In addition, the parole board won't go into great detail about the reason for denial. For example, if the inmate is denied due to community opposition, the parole board will only cite "community opposition" as the reason for denail and will probably not tell who exactly opposed the inmate's parole (such as the victim, etc.).

jean2Lr
01-15-2010, 10:46 AM
I wonder if an attorney can get the information as to EXACTALY why a persons parole was denied? I nkow for a fact that some EX's use the parole board as as way to get back at their spouse after a divorce. This is wrong that someone can write them and say anything true or not to get a persons parole put off. The prisoner should be able to respond to accusations people write to parole board. Johnathan? can a lawyer see the master file?

Mattsdad2250
01-25-2011, 09:31 AM
My son was on parole from Mississippi and commited a crime in Texas. He was just parolled from Texas after 31/2 years now Mississippi is bringing him back. Two questions. 1. he had a 10 year suspended sentence in Mississippi will he get all that time or will it be judges decision? Second his crime in Texas is not considered agrravated here but is in Miississippi. Can they use that to make him inelgibile for parole? We are shocked that Texas released him on Parole and Mississippi 10 days later had him oicked up on a 2008 warrant for parole violation. They say he did not report and that he was a fugitive but we know that 3 different people, parole office, DA in dallas and our lawyer told them in 2007. We are devasted as he did well in prison and completed an intense 6 month drug program.

scorpian
01-28-2011, 12:54 AM
Just from my experience and from what I've heard/seen MS is good at "holding" warrants and waiting outside the prison for the persons release only to say "gotcha" can they legally do this? I've heard of it being done several times and it sucks.

PTO-29412
02-03-2011, 04:04 AM
I know it is hard - but on Parole you are not allowed to leave the state.

Should you leave the state, and commit or be accused/convicted of a crime - that is an automatic out.

He would be listed as a fugitive for leaving the state lines.

Best of luck to your family in this ordeal

Mattsdad2250
02-07-2011, 02:30 PM
He was paroled to Texas and was their legally.

bundykong
02-21-2011, 04:19 PM
When does the State Parole Board meet about pardon requests? Does the State Parole Board issue recommendations to Legislature about granting pardon or does it always go to governor? This is for an individual that finished his sentence many years ago. Any help is appreciated.

Mrs.Lynn
07-19-2011, 01:17 AM
Hey I have like 2 questions my man is in for 10 years on a felon carrying a concealed weapon charge, he said that the parole hearing now has it set up to where if your in for 10 years they cut the 10 years down to 2 1/2 years. He had said back in May that he goes up for parole in November or December. The other day he said he goes up for his parole October 26th. He has been locked up since December of 2009. Now my question is Do you think he will be coming home?? And also is he talking about he is coming home on parole or is it a parole hearing that he is talking about that is coming up October 26th???? Please help I'm so confused. Thank you.

Mrs.Lynn
07-19-2011, 01:19 AM
The reason they switched it from November or December to October 26th is because he put in good time. (I left that out sorry)

Baboo27
11-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Hi all. My friend will be out on ERS next year. She doesn't have any family that she would want to live with, and I would like her to live with me. I don't have a criminal record and I live in a decent area. Will they allow her to live with a non-family member or must you be family? Thank you.

LordHelp
11-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Hi all. My friend will be out on ERS next year. She doesn't have any family that she would want to live with, and I would like her to live with me. I don't have a criminal record and I live in a decent area. Will they allow her to live with a non-family member or must you be family? Thank you.
Baboo,
It ultimately is the decision of the parole board, but I believe it does not need to be a family member. You and your home will be checked out. No alcohol, no weapons of any kind are allowed. Others may have more info on this.

lmcv
06-23-2012, 12:21 AM
My ex husband is incarcerated in Mississippi but is a resident in another state we have since reconciled and upon his parole and interstate compact transfer he wants to parole out at my residence I have been told he cant do that because we are no longer married and I have been told he can. Depends on who I am talking to at the time I guess. I thought as long as you were a resident of the recieving state he could parole out at any address and didnt have to be a family member. I have been so consumed with this I cant think straight does anyone have any other info that may be helpful, running out of time he is coming up for review and time to fill out paperwork for the interstate compact. Thanks

KOAS'girl
07-01-2012, 04:10 PM
My man got 20 years for a drive by and has done 7. He is eligible for 30/30 time in Sept. Will he ever be.eligible for parole

aer197614
07-05-2012, 12:12 AM
I'm assuming drive by - he has a murder charge ? Manslaughter ? Neither is eligible for parole in MS

KOAS'girl
07-06-2012, 06:55 PM
No one was injured in the shooting

aer197614
07-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Look on MDOC Website. That wil let you know what charges are or are not eligible for parole

WillzGirl2012
04-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Ok so I am new here, not sure if thread still gets looked at but I have a couple of questions. My fiance was sentenced April 1st for a non violent charge, his original charge would have been considered a violent one. But he took a plea deal, which changed his original cause number charge. When he was arrested and indited for his original he did almost a year to the date of his arrest. When he was sentenced the deal he got 10 years/5 suspended/5 to serve she did not say it was mandatory. And he would get time served for the year. While I have been doing research trying to come up with a round about how much time he would do, in the inmate handbook it states: the inmate
must have been in jail on the cause number(s) for which the inmate is currently incarcerated.
So does this mean since the cause number changed that he really want get the 1 year timed served calculated into his time??? And he pretty much is going in with 5 years and no time served on the new cause number with his plea? This just really gets to me, because we are glad he is going in with the non violent charge, but its like the year he did was a waste and isnt gonna help to get him home sooner..

I also have another question...

If the one year is calculated in, "i heard" they will give him 30/30 on the time he already served? Is this true or just hear say?

Which brings me to another question (last one, i promise) ...

With his charge the lawyer said he will get 30/30 and also good time for trusty and time off for earning certificates and so on. He would be eligible for parole (from what I read) and he falls in all the requirements for parole after doing 25% which if they do calculate the 1 year leaves him 4 years left, so he would have to only do 1 year to be eligible for parole.. when he gets to rankin county, would they consider putting him on ISP during his processing in and send him home during the processing or does he actually have to do some time first before he can be considered for ISP? Because when you read the ISP you have 15 months left on his sentence to be eligible and he would be eligible for parole after only a year.. you know what I mean? Basically Im trying to see if there would be any chance of him coming home way sooner then later. Considering we have a 2 month baby, and he was the bread winner and did nothing but work and come home. He has no priors, and we honestly thought the judge was going to suspend his time and give him probation since that's what the other person in the case got. And we were shocked when she gave him the time.

Sorry so long, and I am sure you probably want be able to answer all my questions, but any incite would be great! :) Thanks!