View Full Version : Discussion about first-time drug charges going to prison

Pages : [1] 2

HopeFaithNLove
10-02-2006, 02:58 AM
I think someone should start a petition on first-time drug charges going to prison. I think that some people get into more trouble than they could have expected.

They should be given an automatic chance on probation with some type of class that has to be taken as well, instead of being thrown in prison for 2-10 years or more!

If you agree please post here. If you know anything about trying to change the law in US please let me know!

I am in Texas!

xinmate
10-02-2006, 03:29 AM
I sold 2 oz of POT in pennsylvaina and was given 18-60 months in a max state prison.... 2 oz = $300 worth of pot ....1st offence ever in my life ...so do i thing there needs to be a change the answer is hells YES...
but where do we start ?????

HopeFaithNLove
10-02-2006, 03:31 AM
Hopefully someone else will come along that can tell us where to start!

stlcru
10-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Do you think a first time offender that gets caught with crack in a school zone should be given probation?

june5
10-03-2006, 01:20 AM
I said yes on the poll, but then I realized "prison". So my "yes" vote is for jail, not prison.

HopeFaithNLove
10-03-2006, 05:00 AM
I think the whole school zone thing is ridiculous anyway. If someone is soliciting drugs to children then yes, they should get a harsher punishment. And I am not saying that I believe in drugs in any way; however, the school zone thing is STUPID. Just because someone is in a school zone does not mean that they are dealing drugs to kids. The school zones are so large that in some counties pretty much the whole city is a school zone.

You also have people that get caught with drugs in THEIR OWN HOUSE that aren't even selling these drugs, be it marijuana or whatever that live across the street from a school or down the street from a school.

I don't think that first-time offenders should go to prison. Not at all. The government should be getting HELP for these people. Not locking them up in prison away from their families. The only people that actually are being punished by this is the offender's families. I think that if you commit a NONAGGRIVATED or VIOLENT crime, such as dealing drugs or doing drugs that instead of throwing you in prison for a HUGE amount of time that you should be given probation. Give the person a chance to realize on their own that what they have done is wrong. Give the person the chance to see how much trouble they could have actually gotten into. Tell them that this time you are given probation, next time you are given 10 years in prison, and I bet you 80% of the people do not get involved in this kind of trouble again. And that is 80% less space taken up in the prisons by drug offenders. And that is 80% more people that can support their families. That is 80% less families on welfare. The prisons are overcrowded as it is. The government is spending God knows how much money on feeding and housing these prisoners, when they could be given a chance to do right, but instead are being thrown in prison, taken away from their families, and leaving a HUGE mess of bills for women and children. It's just not right.

That's my opinion on it. But of course, the beauty of America is that we have freedom of speech.

If you don't like it, I'm sorry! But that's how I feel.

jsjamor
10-03-2006, 08:15 PM
I agree, my husband has a clean record, not even a traffic ticket. He was set up dropping off 2 oz of cocaine and was sentenced to 3 years mand. but luckly he only has to serve 85% of his time so he should be home in 2008. I think they should do probation or house arrest or maybe a few months in county jail and then probation but for first time offenders to send them off to state prison for 2 or more years is crazy. I looked all over the place to see if I could get it reduced but wasn't very successful. Florida prision sucks!

HopeFaithNLove
10-03-2006, 10:59 PM
For some reason it wont let me edit it???? Anyway, it's supposed to be NONVIOLENT not VIOLENT!

june5
10-04-2006, 01:29 PM
The thing is, when we are talking about first-time drug offenses, that includes alot of things. There is a big difference between selling pot or selling crack, posession vs. operating a meth lab, etc. They all should not be punished the same, IMHO.

christina marie
10-04-2006, 06:28 PM
I was just given a plea yesterday to my first time drug offense, 15 years on a class x, which means I have to serve 7 years. I was asking for 15 on a class 1, but no luck. I too think that is much, but I have no control now. I have 3 kids, 14, 7, and 2. They are the ones who are going to pay. I wish I knew of a way to get this lowered, afterall it is my first offense.

HopeFaithNLove
10-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Manufacturing is much different. I actually have a friend that has a friend that was caught manufacturing meth in Brownwood, Tx. Funny thing is he got probation... the system is so messed up. It's all about money. If you or your family have money you can get out of just about any mess you find yourself in.

Another situation, someone who was charged with the same as my husband, only 10x more of the drug... they came from a wealthy family. So their parents paid $10,000 up front in fines and they got 10 years probation and didn't even have to serve the full 10. I'm pretty sure it was 10, if not it was 5. And my husband wasted $5000 on a lawyer and got 10 years in prison... that doesn't add up. It's wrong and it is inhumane. Period!

stlcru
10-05-2006, 04:52 AM
I dont agree. I was sentenced to prison my first offense, and if i wasnt I prob wouldnt have learned a lesson from probation. I think people that sell drugs know exactly what they are getting themselves into when they do the crime. Now I can understand someone that gets caught with a pound of marijuana, but what about 8 ounces of crack, i dont think that is for personal use. Maybe not prison but some jail time for sure. And thats my opinion, even after I was sentenced on a first time offense.

stlcru
10-05-2006, 04:59 AM
And a petition for first time drug offenders to recieve probation? Thats a waste of paper and ink, they would never pass that law no matter how many signed it. You want a petition that is a pass to sell drugs until you get caught once, almost everybody would deal drugs until they got caught.

stlcru
10-05-2006, 05:00 AM
That just doesnt make sense.

HopeFaithNLove
10-05-2006, 05:33 AM
People need rehabilitation. But, I'm sure it would never pass... that's not really my point though. Even by getting a law passed it doesn't help my family any. I just think the laws are way to harsh.

Violent people need to be taken away from society to be rehabilitated. Nonviolent people are able to rehabilitate on the outside. They are not a threat to society.

stlcru
10-05-2006, 05:39 AM
I agree with people need rehabilitation, and that some people that are first time offenders can change their ways. I just dont agree with automatic probation for a first time offense. And I think that the sentences are to harsh also.

stlcru
10-05-2006, 05:45 AM
Violent people need to be taken away from society to be rehabilitated. Nonviolent people are able to rehabilitate on the outside. They are not a threat to society.

Not all non-violent people can be rehabilitated outside of prison. And I think that people that sell drugs qualify as a "threat to society", maybe not for physical violence, but the drugs that they sell do cause harm.Just my opinion.

HopeFaithNLove
10-05-2006, 05:45 AM
Maybe I am being stubborn headed. I tend to be stubborn quite often. I honestly can't speak for every situation. But I think that the legal system is totally screwed up. It just makes me sick that in order for someone to get to avoid prison is by having money. It's BS. My husband has been one of the best dads. I didn't have my dad growing up. And I was so thankful that my kids weren't gonna have to go through the same as me. But now they will. They are 3 and 1 and I am going to have to look them in their eyes everyday and tell them that Daddy won't be home for a long time... mommy doesn't know when he gets to come home.... they are so young they can't understand that shit. It's gonna be hard enough on me while he's gone, and having to see my children hurt and miss their daddy is gonna make it even harder.

I do know that everything happens for a reason. This whole thing is just really hard to accept.

My husband is a good man. We are all human and we make mistakes and I don't think it's fair that his cost our whole family so much. It's just inconcievable. Who would have ever thought we'd be where we are today. Any person that knows my husband will tell you he is a good man. He has given the last dime in his pocket to his family, mother, dad, sisters... even his close friends. He would do anything to help anyone and it just eats me up that this is happening.

He on the other hand, is handling this thing so great. He is very positive and says that something good will come from it. He said that we can both be damn sure our kids won't ever be in this situation because they will know about what happened with him. They will be aware of what happens when you do things you shouldn't. They will learn from his mistake and won't have to make the same mistake that he did. He is a damn good father. And we are going to do everything so that the kids can bond with him. It's gonna be tough because I'm gonna be broke as you know what. Hopefully he'll get sent somewhere close.

Anyway,
I gotta get going....

stlcru
10-05-2006, 05:53 AM
Yeah I agree with what your saying. Some really good people get sent to prison, that dont belong there, and thats very upsetting. It seems like the judges just dont care, and thats because most of them dont. Another file, another number, just lock him/her up. Its a horrible thing. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for you and your family. I will keep your family in my prayers.

HopeFaithNLove
10-05-2006, 05:58 AM
Some people are gonna think to themselves blah blah blah... that's your husband and of course you are gonna say he doesn't deserve it. But honestly, because of all the stress waiting for court, after it being put off over and over and over again.... we had not been getting along very well. This kind of thing is very stressful... the wondering and the what if's are the worst.

Even if I hated him or we weren't even together and just had kids, I wouldn't think he deserves it. He's a good guy and an amazing dad.

We need to find a kick ass lawyer that wants to help good, honest people who find themselves in a mess that would stand up for them whether they have money or not.

I hate money. Money is EVIL. But, the world wouldn't go round if we didn't have it. If everyone had tons of money, who would be standing behind the counter and convenience stores???

june5
10-05-2006, 10:35 AM
I dont agree. I was sentenced to prison my first offense, and if i wasnt I prob wouldnt have learned a lesson from probation. I think people that sell drugs know exactly what they are getting themselves into when they do the crime. Now I can understand someone that gets caught with a pound of marijuana, but what about 8 ounces of crack, i dont think that is for personal use. Maybe not prison but some jail time for sure. And thats my opinion, even after I was sentenced on a first time offense.

I don't want to insult anybody here or their family members. But I was kind of thinking the same thing.

There is a difference between the types of dealers and drugs that there are. But the business of selling drugs is a violent one. There is a reason why drug dealers carry guns. Just because a person may not have been convicted of a violent crime, doesn't mean that the person isn't violent. It's an incredibily violent business.

Aside from that, I have a problem with no jail time for any felony, only because I have never seen anybody take plain probation seriously, for anything, I'm not just talking about drug offenders. Even if it's 30 days in jail, I think it is a good thing, if a person has never been in jail before, that might have a better effect on them than just probation.

robertegarrett
10-20-2006, 01:53 PM
If you think the politicians are vaguely interested in reforming drug sentencing, just look at the long at sad history of HR 3072, currently pending before Congress, which would re-institute federal parole for most first-time drug offenders. It has languished for years, and the Republ. head of the House Judic. Committee will not even let it come to a floor vote. November Coalition, amonst others, has circulated petitions in support, but it all falls on deaf ears. So the moral is, if you need money, rob them, but dont DARE sell them drugs.

candida6969
10-23-2006, 07:04 AM
I AGREE WITH YOU. I have never been in trouble until last Dec. There was 4 of us that went to Georgia, we caught with 8 packs of cold pills. (they were still in packs) I only bought one pack. I went to court Oct 21 and they want to give me 10 yrs split 2. Sience this I changed my whole life around. I have worked and even started to college. I had to drop out of college. But on first time offenders I think these people sould have a second chance.

jimbo111
10-23-2006, 08:31 AM
I agree, my husband has a clean record, not even a traffic ticket. He was set up dropping off 2 oz of cocaine and was sentenced to 3 years mand. but luckly he only has to serve 85% of his time so he should be home in 2008. I think they should do probation or house arrest or maybe a few months in county jail and then probation but for first time offenders to send them off to state prison for 2 or more years is crazy. I looked all over the place to see if I could get it reduced but wasn't very successful. Florida prision sucks!

I agree, first timers should get a break. Get probation, community service and some kind of drug treatment. Now, the question arises, What happens if all the above doesn't change anything and he gets caught again with drugs? I would think if the government gives that kind of chance the first time around they would throw the book at the second time around.

--

june5
10-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Jimbo for president! lol.

I can vote for first time probation, if the second time is a guaranteed prison term.

june5
10-23-2006, 08:17 PM
I agree, first timers should get a break. Get probation, community service and some kind of drug treatment. Now, the question arises, What happens if all the above doesn't change anything and he gets caught again with drugs? I would think if the government gives that kind of chance the first time around they would throw the book at the second time around.

--

Wait...are you saying that 2nd timers SHOULD get the book thrown at them after getting a break the first time?

It's hard to answer the question of what should happen to first timers, because the obvious issue is OK, but what will then happen the 2nd time?

headed2thebig1
10-23-2006, 09:03 PM
i was offered a plea last month from the feds of up to 20 years for it was my first offence on any thing other than a speeding ticket... i thank the system Sucks

jimbo111
10-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Wait...are you saying that 2nd timers SHOULD get the book thrown at them after getting a break the first time?

It's hard to answer the question of what should happen to first timers, because the obvious issue is OK, but what will then happen the 2nd time?

Well, the government doesn't give unless it gets something in return.

What the government wants in return is no more drug arrests.

Frankly, it makes sense. As it is now first timers are doing jail time. As the topic of this thread. First time offender should get probation depending on there role in the drug trade. That chance of probation should act as a wake-up call. If they blow that chance, they know the outcome. How many chances should they get? One should be enough. What's the sense in giving one break only to get another. When does it stop?

--

nmh777
10-24-2006, 12:07 AM
I believe our guidlines should be lower for drug offenses. I don't think it is right that there are sex offenders who get less prison time than some drug offenders.

june5
10-24-2006, 01:00 AM
I believe our guidlines should be lower for drug offenses..

What do you think the guidelines should be?

jimbo111
10-24-2006, 06:58 AM
I believe our guidlines should be lower for drug offenses. I don't think it is right that there are sex offenders who get less prison time than some drug offenders.

If sex offenders are getting less time. All the government will do is make the sex offender laws stronger. They won't lower the drug laws. So when arguing your case, comparing to other crimes won't solve the problem. instead of sex offender use stick-up man or robber and the same results. The government won't lower one. They will raise the other.

BabyBooWV
10-24-2006, 11:55 AM
My man was 19 when he caught his case. It was his first time getting in trouble at all. He had graduated high school and had numerous schloarships to go to big universities for track and football. He made some dumb choices and got caught up in the drug game. They locked him up for 87 months straight off the cuff. I think it is outragous. Something needs to be done.

Valentina
10-28-2006, 11:20 PM
No one should go to prison or jail for a 1st time drug offense, espeically a small amount.

jimbo111
10-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Of the 28 that voted "No" what do you think should happen if they are given the chance of no jail time the first time and they get arrested again for drugs?

--

optimistic
11-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Interesting thread with some interesting opinions.

I think first time low-level drug offenders should not be put in prison. Right now we offer no rehabilitation and no real probation. I look at probation and it's basically going to report and drop if requested and claim you're looking for work. Make these folks get jobs, and if you don't have a job, can't find a job, hit the highway and pick-up the trash or clean the inner city. Get strict with folks so that they realize and establish a sense of responsibility. You come to work at 7am you work til 3pm and then you go to class for something from 5pm to 9pm. You miss work or a class, then you've broken the rules and you go to jail. Unfortunately, if those were the rules, most folks would rather go to jail.

As for if they are caught the second time, you go to jail cuz there is no helping you right now. You probably need to sit down and think for a minute.

***Sidenote - money means nothing in convictions. We had PLENTY of money and still he has a crazy LONG sentence for drugs.

apt_frog
11-02-2006, 12:21 AM
I think a maybe should be added to the poll. If they are caught with small amounts of powders for personal use they should forego the felony charges. But if they have onuces and bricks that is when prison time should begin.

SlimsButterfly
11-04-2006, 10:42 PM
I definately think that something need to be done about the drug laws, my fiance was a first time offender who also got hit with a harsh sentence.

AriesMom
11-05-2006, 07:37 PM
I think that minimum mandatory laws need to be eliminated. They have taken away the judges ability to judge and given all the power to the DA's who only want to see conviction. Convictions = money. That's why they offer so many plea bargains..saves the court time and money and they still get their conviction money.

My daughter was a drug user and was set up. By allowing a deal to happen in her apt, she gets same charge as the dealer..7 years..her first time, he's been caught dealing before. The informer who set up..scott free and still doing drugs. How is this helping fight the drug war? It is all about the money.

big mama 69
11-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Are we talking about getting caught with a lil bit of dope that's being used for one's own personal pleasure,or are we talking about getting caught with an amount that makes it perfectly clear that the intent was to sell?

SlimsButterfly
11-06-2006, 09:42 PM
I think that minimum mandatory laws need to be eliminated. They have taken away the judges ability to judge and given all the power to the DA's who only want to see conviction. Convictions = money. That's why they offer so many plea bargains..saves the court time and money and they still get their conviction money.

My daughter was a drug user and was set up. By allowing a deal to happen in her apt, she gets same charge as the dealer..7 years..her first time, he's been caught dealing before. The informer who set up..scott free and still doing drugs. How is this helping fight the drug war? It is all about the money.

I completely agree with you AriesMom, it is all about the money, it has nothing to do with fighting the war against drugs, especially when they use a persons addiction to their advantage and use them as informants, how are you fightring the war on drugs when you are basically allowing people (their informants) to use drugs as long as it benefits them and helps them get a conviction

mikesbabydoll
11-07-2006, 08:10 PM
I have a lot to say on this subject. First, there are a lot fo things that could change what I think should happen. My boyfirend was just caught with a good amount of cocaine and got a mandatory sentence of 8 to 10 years on his first offense. The way that cops went about it was worng. They had an snitch sell to him a total of 10 times each time asking for more. This was over a year period. So basically they got him so bad that they thought he would snitch , but he did not. So now my 26 year old boyfriend will be in jail possibly until he is 36 years old. This I disagree with. I do see first time offenders like him caught with a good amount being in jail for possibly a year or 2, but 10 years is carzy. The judge even said that he had not choice in the matter, and he did not even want to give him that much time, but his hands were tied. What was the point of going through the 2 year court process then? Oh, I almost for got that he got a manatory fine of $269,785.61. How crazy is that? He will be dead and still owe the state money.

AriesMom
11-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Yup..sadly that is the game they play. Whatever happened to entrapment? And the snitches go free and continue to use and sell drugs. There is an organization trying to fight mandatory minimums called families against man/min..check them out and become active..they are trying to fight these crazy laws. www.famm.org (http://www.famm.org) The laws are outdated and the only way to see change is to join and advocate.

Putting our loved ones in prison for years does nothing to help rehabilitate them. It is overcrowding the prisons with first time offenders that could be in treatment for a whole lot less than what prisons cost taxpayers daily.

mommy721
11-22-2006, 05:48 PM
My husband was arrested 20 months ago on federal drug charges and was given 121 months for his first offense!It does not seem possible or fair that child molesters and even murderers get off w/ lighter sentences. Something needs to be done about these ridiculous drug laws that are in effect. He has a 16 month old little boy at home that he has never gotten to spend a more than a couple hours with. I am just praying that he gets some time knocked off somehow. Anyone w/ any suggestions please let s know b/c we a desperate!:(

RalphsWife
11-23-2006, 11:50 PM
My husband got 20 years in state jail for 2oz cocaine, that was not even in his possession. It was in the hotel room that he parked infront of. He didn't even have a key it was his friends room that he was staying with they had to go to the front desk and request a key. His name wasn't even on the registar or anything. This was his first offence of any kind. They said that his intend was to distribute. It wasn't even his.

Eternal Friend
11-25-2006, 12:38 AM
I agree that first time drug offenses are very harsh and very long compared to other crimes. Mine was caught in 3 controlled buys of narcotics. Like one or two pills at a time. He got 2 to 20 years with his parole date set for 2008 which would be 2 years served. I think they should be offered rehab and community service the first time. If they do it a second time then it would be understable that they are more harsh on them. It wasn't like he was selling to kids it was his lifelong friend all 3 times. They acted like he was some big dope dealer and charged him with the most time they could. He was just selling it to support his own habit. If they offered rehab it could have maybe changed things. Then the rat is still on the streets doing drugs and getting more people in trouble just to get enough money to get high again. How is that justice?

I do think though that the methadone clinics that are in place could go about things differently as well. I have had personal experience of a pill addict that turned to the methadone treatment center for rehab. Well lets just say something that should have taken 6 months has turned into 2 years. That is not rehabilitation. It is an addiction to government controlled drugs. They get about $100 per week per person. It seems they are out to make money on the addicts they are supposed to be cleaning up. What ever happened to detoxing and NA meetings? What is your take on the matter?

mommy721
11-26-2006, 03:57 PM
I totally agree!

HopeFaithNLove
11-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Hi guys. I haven't been on prisontalk in a while because I have been very busy raising my 2 kids by myself. Anyway, the whole reason I started this post was because of my kid's dad got 10 years... anyway, we were together at the time but have since split up because I found out that he had been cheating on me. I hate him so much for that! But thats how he's always been. He says he is going to change... but I can't trust that.

Anyway, the point of this post is to tell you all that I am no longer with this man, am actually pretty pissed off about the whole cheating thing, and am really ticked that I got left with all of his mess... BUT I still believe that he should not have gotten the amount of time that he got for what he was charged with.

So, I will work to pass a law to make it different for other people. Like I said before, he is a good person... regardless of the fact that he cheated on me... because I did things to him to that I shouldn't have... he is a GOOD person and should not be in prison.

So... I'm gonna look up the Republican Head of House Judic. Commitee and try to get the ball rolling... It's ridiculous how much trouble 1st time offenders get into... that's the way I feel... of course, this post was to find out how other people feel and try to get a law passed... so IM me or email me! I'll keep updates on what I've gotten done... if anything!

foreverhisgirl
02-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Here's a way to get started....together as one!Other things that you can do:

Share the petition successfully with friends, neighbors and your entire community. Download a hard copy of the Petition for Relief from Drug War Injustice, ask others to help gather signatures of support.
Attend community events and set up a table where you can lay out Relief Petitions, or put copies on a clipboard and walk around getting signatures.
Call your local public radio and offer to do an interview. Share a summary of the Relief Petition's request with listeners, ask them to visit and sign on as a supporter of early release.
Call a community meeting and explain to those who attend what the Petition for Relief from Drug War Injustice is, and how they can help.

mia_101
03-01-2007, 02:17 AM
Aside from that, I have a problem with no jail time for any felony, only because I have never seen anybody take plain probation seriously, for anything, I'm not just talking about drug offenders. Even if it's 30 days in jail, I think it is a good thing, if a person has never been in jail before, that might have a better effect on them than just probation.

I don't agree. My father is a criminal attorney, and I have listened to many stories over the years. The stress of the trial, knowing how close you are to prison, the enormous fines and community service, checking in with the PO, having UA's...this makes an impression on many, many people.

The most recent one he told me was of a woman caught up in drugs, ended up selling to afford her habit....he got her ten years probation and she cleaned up 100%. And remains so years after probation is over.

The prisons are clogged with drug offenders hurting no one but themselves. And you and I are paying to house them. You and I are paying welfare for their children. I'd rather pay for rehab and have them do their community service and walk the line on probation.

utcrush72
03-01-2007, 04:58 AM
I totally agree with hopefaithnlove, there should rehabilitation, not prison time. That's why the recidivism rate is so high, duh!

angelcherished
03-29-2007, 09:08 PM
they have a law here in maryland for rehab before jail...but my husband got 15yr. w/ 7 1/2 sus. for his first drug offense... the judge denied his evaluation even though he admitted in court he had a problem.

Rainbozz
04-19-2007, 10:06 AM
I think that each drug case should be looked at on an individual basis,and certain factors taken into consideration,before deciding on punishment.
As far as 1st time small amount possession shouldn't go to prison,if that is all they are guilty of but meth manufacturers, i beleive they know from the very beginning,that what they are doing is creating a drug with intent to sell it,to any and every body with anything of value and don't care whose lives they destroy,all they care about is their pockets lined with gold,
but like i said,really i don't think for the most part,that they should be given a long sentence,for a 1st time offense,and have a nonviolent background,i think drug screens,and classes,etc.helps more all the way around.

Mummum
05-18-2007, 12:02 PM
I don't believe prison is the answer for first time offenders or the mandatory sentencing. My daughter let a person stay with her who was selling drugs. When a very violent search was made of her house, this person was caught with the drugs on him. Her personal property was destroyed, her children terrified and no futher drugs were found. He recieved 5 years probation for implicating my daughter and she got 41 months. Two months into his probation he was caught with over $10,000 in cash, 2 guns and all kinds of drugs including crack.
Where is the fairness in that? I know she was doing wrong by letting someone into her home who was selling drugs but to give the drug dealer a better deal is hard to swallow. I sat in the courtroom as she told the judge about how she benifited from this person's drug money. Her cable bill was paid for 1 month. She didn't even see one tranaction. The police even admitted that she was never seen selling or buying any type of drug. Yet she recieved the stiffer sentence. Where is the JUSTCE in that? The day she was sentenced the judge had to ask the Federal Marsalls if she could hug her sons as she had had no physical contact with them in over 10 months.

How is this helping society? My grandsons have their mother taken away for almost 4 years. Society is burdened with housing her and providing support for her sons. Who is this helping?

midlandbrown
05-18-2007, 01:32 PM
I think that each drug case should be looked at on an individual basis,and certain factors taken into consideration,before deciding on punishment.
As far as 1st time small amount possession shouldn't go to prison,if that is all they are guilty of but meth manufacturers, i beleive they know from the very beginning,that what they are doing is creating a drug with intent to sell it,to any and every body with anything of value and don't care whose lives they destroy,all they care about is their pockets lined with gold,
but like i said,really i don't think for the most part,that they should be given a long sentence,for a 1st time offense,and have a nonviolent background,i think drug screens,and classes,etc.helps more all the way around.
My 22 year old son was giving Federal time for a first time nonvolent drug offense while the person that got him hooked on Meth is still out there.
He couldnt give up names where they could.
Bad as this sounds my son is so thankful because like he said he would be dead by now.
He also went to rehab for 45 days and said that he wishes that he could stay there because it helped him so much

waynenletha
05-18-2007, 02:32 PM
My husband was renting a building to a man to store personal items(what he told us)but then the law comes and locks my husband up for operating a meth lab.He is now serving time on a 20 do 12 sentence and I have 10 yrs. probation and a 3500.00 fine.All of this because the building was on our property.I was never arrested and booked on any charges but was indicted by the grand jury and that was the first time I have ever been in trouble.My husband had never been in trouble for drugs before he had 1 DUI about 20 yrs ago.The guy renting the building was out on parole for meth charges when this happened(we were unaware of that fact until this happened).In my opinion the courts are very harsh,unjust and unfair in doling out sentences.In situations like this it is very hard to believe in and respect our judicial system.I'm all for rehabilitation and helping a person to do better and learn from their mistakes but how do you justify putting a person in prison for that many years and exactly what is he suppose to rehabilitate from?Trusting another person?

waiting4luis
05-20-2007, 06:34 AM
Here in Cali we have something called prop 36 ...... its for 1st and 2nd (sometimes 3rd) drug offenders ..... I am not a in no way a legal expert, I only know about this from my husband's and my friends' experiences ..... prop 36 is available to 1st and 2nd time drug offenders when there were no other felonies commited at the same time. As long as they are only being charged with posession, not posession with intent to sell, instead of jail time they are orderd to attend drug classes (I think on a weekly basis) for 1 year and I believe they are put on probation for 3yrs (could only be 1yr, I dont remeber). NO JAIL/PRIOSN TIME ....... I think it is a wonderful thing ....... rehabilitation is the key.

I am not sure what it is called, but our lawyer told me that there is something else for 1st time drug offenders with out prior offences (not sure if priors applies to prior drug offences or any sort of criminal record). This option offers offenders 1year of drug classes as well as 1year of probation. Once your fines have been paid, classes completed and probation is finished, that drug offence is expunged ..... it's like it never happened.

I thought it was this way in every state ...... you guys should really push it in your states ...... I was reading that in Cali, 85% of the prison population are drug offeners - thats with prop 36 in action ....... Imagine with out ......

mlg_0720
05-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Does this only apply to the state of Caifornia or all state my hubby is a first time offender doing 12 years

Here in Cali we have something called prop 36 ...... its for 1st and 2nd (sometimes 3rd) drug offenders ..... I am not a in no way a legal expert, I only know about this from my husband's and my friends' experiences ..... prop 36 is available to 1st and 2nd time drug offenders when there were no other felonies commited at the same time. As long as they are only being charged with posession, not posession with intent to sell, instead of jail time they are orderd to attend drug classes (I think on a weekly basis) for 1 year and I believe they are put on probation for 3yrs (could only be 1yr, I dont remeber). NO JAIL/PRIOSN TIME ....... I think it is a wonderful thing ....... rehabilitation is the key.

I am not sure what it is called, but our lawyer told me that there is something else for 1st time drug offenders with out prior offences (not sure if priors applies to prior drug offences or any sort of criminal record). This option offers offenders 1year of drug classes as well as 1year of probation. Once your fines have been paid, classes completed and probation is finished, that drug offence is expunged ..... it's like it never happened.

I thought it was this way in every state ...... you guys should really push it in your states ...... I was reading that in Cali, 85% of the prison population are drug offeners - thats with prop 36 in action ....... Imagine with out ......

waiting4luis
05-21-2007, 12:25 AM
Does this only apply to the state of Caifornia or all state my hubby is a first time offender doing 12 years
I was under the impression it was the same for each state, but from what I have read in this thread, it seems like California is one of very few, if not the only state. Doesnt make much sence, considering the great results we have gotten.

krummy
05-24-2007, 12:00 PM
This is a really touchy subject. I have to agree with both sides. Even though my wife is in for a drug related offense I do not totaly agree with just letting someone off even first time with just probation. I do however think this mandatory sentencing and the lengths of sentencing be handed down is rediculous. I think if we could find someone to help take this to the politicians and present it; it would be easier to convince them of just lowering the minimums for first time offenses instead of dropping time all together. I just wish we had someone that could tell us where to begin and point us in the right direction.

sixpack6t9
06-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Here in Oregon the law (Chapter 475) in the Oregon Revised Statutes is worded so that, at least in practice, manufacturing, distribution and simple possession of any controlled substance are one and the same.

For instance, if you were to possess 10.5 grams of meth, you will face a manufacturing charge, because the line is drawn for possession at 10 grams. Although you didn't have chemicals, paraphernelia or any mixtures or extractions in your possession, it is simply possession of over the limit of 10 grams that allows them to charge and convict you of manufacturing. Deceiving isn't it?

Also, if you were to possess, say, 1 gram of meth, but put half of that in another bag or container for later, you could easily be charged and convicted of distribution for consideration especially if you had your rent money with you at the time you were busted.

There are several legal maneuvers that aid in playing musical convictions with these three particular crimes.

Possession, Distribution and Manufacturing are used almost interchangeably in Oregon, so that when you look at an Oregonian's criminal record and see a "manufacturing" conviction, you may really be looking at a possession, and not the more dangerous manufacturing, (i.e running a lab, or cooking meth).

But in Oregon you can never tell by looking. So landlords deny applicants housing thinking that they had been busted for running a meth lab in someone's house. The landlord's reaction is understandable, he's protecting his asset--it's the LAW that should be clarified so that this and other mistakes don't happen. Having a little dope for your own personal use is a long way from turning your house into a potential bomb, where people can get hurt in an explosion, or by the chemical residue that is left.

jahunt69
06-11-2007, 06:17 AM
I voted no. I feel that if first time offenders are going to have to do jail or prison time it should be determined by the weight of drugs they were caught with and the class of drug. That said I also think that sentences should not exceed 5 years for any first time drug offence, this includes probatin time. And for anyone who has done time you know that time in a county jail is widely considered hard time, therefore I feel that any first time offender being required to serve time in a county jail serve no less then four months (120 days) and no more then one year (365 days). After which they should be released on probation that requires drug testing, and some kind of support program, and possibly rehab depending on the circumstances. I say this because like it or not, admit it or not more then half of the people out there selling drugs are themselves addicted and using. The money they make from a drug sell generally ends up going to buy more drugs for their personal use. It's a vicious cycle, but it is a fact.

DaveMoff
06-11-2007, 11:40 AM
I don't believe drug possession, on a first offense, should be a felony. I'm talking about simple personal possession--having a reasonable amount in your pocket (and I don't care where you're standing while you have it) or on your coffee table while minding your own business. If someone is transporting a van load of drugs or selling them to kids, clearly the intent is entirely different and the offense is very different.

Fact is that most people who are caught for the first time "holding" are addicts. This is someone with an illness, who has most likely not harmed anyone (yet). Give that person the tools needed to get and stay clean if s/he wants them, along with a period of supervision. Community service might work wonders--the first thing any addict needs is a way to stay busy and find something to think about other than the addiction.

That's giving someone a "second chance". If they fail to take it, I'd have to say that a harsher "lesson" is in order. Some of us do have thick skulls and it takes a pretty solid rap to get through them. And of course some people simply cannot or will not sort themselves out. But that's a matter for another thread.

sixpack6t9
06-18-2007, 09:05 AM
I would use caution with considering everyone who possesses drugs "addicts". First of all, as NA/AA proclaims, an addict "has found that their lives have become unmanageable", and those that this refers to have indeed lost control of themselves, and are more likely than not, the ones who are robbing, thieving and pilaging for their addictions---these people need rather firm assistance.

However, there is another class of "users". According to the Bureau of Justice statistics. 70%, that's seventy percent, of drug users were employed full time prior to their convictions for possession. That means to me, that 70% of drug those drug "possessers" were managing to pay taxes, support themselves and avoided stealing everything that wasn't nailed down to supply their drugs. Does that fit the idea of what "addiction" is? NO.

While I fully agree that anyone who can't control themselves and their "drug of choice" should stay away from all drugs, I feel there should be way more lieniency for working people, not engaged in criminal activities, who choose to include some drug in their private activities.

The law, however, does not differentiate between the two, but it could be imagined that the reason these people end up in court more often is simply that they have an ability to PAY fines, fees and other costs, and they are not hiding in the shadows looking for something to steal---they are at work, paying taxes, and adding to their 401K.

As long as we allow our government to lump people together based on their illegal actions, rather than their character and contributions to society or whether or not they adversely affected anyone else, we will see harmless people persecuted right along with the rest...but AA/NA considers these folks "functioning addicts", which defies their own definition of "addict". Think about that. They had to come up with a new terminology to justify including these people in their program.

and yes, there are some people (functioning addicts?) who have not abandoned common sense and self-control, despite what the spin-junkies claim.

I've always believed that people are responsible for their own actions, and that by blaming drugs for our choices rather than owning our mistakes, we are placing blame where it doesn't belong and creating a "teflon society" where accountability never sticks (at least in our own minds)...and then allowing the courts to decide everyone's fate.

We need to take back and maintain control over our own lives. Then there would be no such thing as "addiction" as commonly defined.

DaveMoff
06-18-2007, 02:00 PM
An excellent point, and I stand corrected. If I look back to my late teen (25 or so years ago), there were a couple of occasions when I was technically in possession of marijuana (and yes, I did inhale--on two occasions). The stuff didn't appeal to me and I've never gone near it since.

So you're right--a drug "user" is very different from a drug addict.

By the way, I also think you're correct on another important point: what someone does in their own home, without injury or inconvenience to others, is no one else's business. Few would question the right of someone who has finished a day of work to put his or her feet back up and have a couple of beers or glasses of wine. Replace the alcohol with "certain substances" and an innocent activity becomes a felony.

solonely27203
06-28-2007, 06:48 PM
What about this....my fiance was charged with trafficking by sitting the backseat of someones car that had 10 oz of coke and 1 lb of meth in the drivers possession. he was sentenced with 5 1/2/ min and 7 max. his ex-bunk mate was serving a 3 yr sentence for MANSLAUGHTER!!! So lets all 'accidently' kill someone and get a slap on the wrist!!!! I pulled this guys DOC record and he has assault after assault charge, b and e, larceny charges out the ass and my fiance had NEVER had so much as a traffic ticket. BTW, I live in NC, they pick and choose who does what and who goes where!!!

sixpack6t9
07-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Whether it's the commies, gays, felons, republicans, homeless people or the tweaks, society must have a demon to take their anger out on.

Every page in the history book of society has a "bad guy" and his victims on it. Our villain makes us feel better about ourselves, because we see ourselves a "better than" somebody, at least. The misadventures that make up the lives of our demons shed some sunshine on our own, uneventful existences, and satisfies our need to hate something or somebody.

A lot of folks will argue with this idea, and it may very well be true that some people do not need to look down on others to feel important themselves. These people are the saints among us, and they are few and far between. But on some level, everyone sets themselves apart from the current demon. This is called "morality". More simply put, the group who thinks that their way of thinking is proper, while those who tend to deviate from what the moral majority thinks is appropriate become the "anti-social" group.

(those who go against our societal correctness"

The masses of people who do need to hate, do so in sufficient quantities that the rest of us can focus our attentions elsewhere, perhaps on something important like freedom or justice.

Speaking of 'justice', we all know that felons, people who have been convicted of a felony offense, have forever been an easy target. They are the unwanted ones, the ones who have violated each and every one of us, even though our lives have never truly touched each other. So why must we do everything in out power to make their existence as miserable as possible? No. We are only protecting us from them, them who seek to disrupt our dreamy little vision of ourselves and our pro-social correctness.

Again, we need to look at ourselves. Our perceptions of ourselves, as the "pro-social" group, the proper, righteous group would be in serious conflict with reality if we had to admit that felons are people just like us---Just like US? we can't allow that, our fragile egos would be crushed....

If this all sounds quite ridiculous to you, then welcome to reality! Since I believe that diversity is not a crime, I'll concede that this can be either my reality, or yours---whichever you prefer.

At any rate, the point I make here is that hate takes all forms, even those masked cloaked in saint-hood and positive thinking patterns. Hate breeds within the idea of one who thinks they are 'right', at the expense of any other point of view.

There can be no equality in elitism, no compassion in selfishness, and no forgiveness in hatred.

To cast out our demons, we must cast out our perceptions of who we think we are, and replace them with who we want to be.

wgcf_sucks
07-18-2007, 08:04 PM
i believe first time drug offenders should go through a special program or probation that focuses on educational awarement and continuing adult education.

HopeFaithNLove
07-19-2007, 01:22 AM
I haven't been on this post in a while. Considering I started it, I figured I would add in my two cents which I did a while back. My husband, well soon to be anyway, has been incarcerated for about 9 months now. I miss him dearly. I still don't think that he shouldn't have been given as much time as he did, if any at all, for the situation he was in. God had his hands in on this one. He has changed into an amazing man, one that I can and will spend the rest of my life with regardless of where he is. I love the man he has become and look forward to our lives together. Everything happens for a reason, and we are both at peace with his sentencing!! In the beginning I felt sorry for myself but God has changed me as well. God bless all of the loved ones that are left behind! He has blessed our family in a way unimaginable. I still think something SHOULD be done to stop the crazy sentencing though; there is much blessing to be given but you've got to get it through Him!!!

ladywpaint
07-19-2007, 11:29 AM
I live in Texas, I think people with first time drug charges should go to rehab. and, an education or training program to help them get off drugs and learn a trade so they can make an honest living. Many of the people on drugs have not finished high school. The chances of getting a good job is slim at best. If they learn a trade, mechanic, truck driver, large machine operator, bulldozer etc. they have a lot better chance of making a successful rehab. from drugs with education and training. Texas has a bad habit of letting people slip through cracks when it comes to education and then we have family members without education and a government that doesn't care.

kennysgirl22
07-21-2007, 11:36 AM
My boyfriend was sentenced to 5 years on first time drug charges. It is tough being away from him and I know even tougher for him being in jail. I agree 100% that first time drug offenders should not be put in jail Prisons are overcrowded as it is. Save the spaces for violent offenders.

sixpack6t9
07-25-2007, 06:38 AM
I think that minimum mandatory laws need to be eliminated. They have taken away the judges ability to judge and given all the power to the DA's who only want to see convictions...My daughter was a drug user and was set up. By allowing a deal to happen in her apt, she gets same charge as the dealer..7 years..her first time, he's been caught dealing before. The informer who set up..scott free and still doing drugs.

IMO, the worst thing about mandatory minimums is that the DA's become the judge, and in a plea deal, the jury and executioner also. Not only does the judge lose his ability to make the punishment fit the crime, the DA is better positioned to use his arsenal of weapons to put the people he dislikes away for a long time. I've seen a DA who "stacked" several charges on the co-defendant, and then made the CHOICE to prosecute him under mandatory minimum laws--the plea "bargain" was for 245 months total, running everything consecutively! Then, he turned around and in the same case, the defendant was not charged under mandatory minimum laws, and no stacking of offenses. The plea bargain was for 66 months, running several counts concurrently.

The difference was not in the criminal histories or actions of the defendants---the difference was that the co-defendant had filed a complaint against some other DA in that office, several years ago, over his treatment by the DA in that case, regarding some political differences.

It is clear that there is more than one way to prosecute any case---the lenient way, the neutral "by the book" way, or the silent vendetta way. The end result is that the judge is helpless to make the sentence just. DA's are political public officials, chosen to get convictions, they are not supposed to be neutral...but they are supposed to be in the pursuit of justice, in every case.

As long as we replace neutral, fair judges with vengeful DA's with a score to settle, or who think anyone who is black, poor, female or doesn't belong to their racquetball club is "less than human" we will suffer the consequences.

It is no accident that the poor and ethnic suffer more than their fair share of injustices---they have no political clout, no money to retain high-powered counsel, are less educated or simply scared to death.

The point is, sentencing varies widely, influenced by anything BUT equal justice under the law. A non-violent drug user, or who sells to ADULT friends is very different from the "Al Capone-like" figures the prosecution makes everyone out to be. There are probably people in your neighborhood who have been quietly selling a little bit to their associates for decades, unbeknownst to you. Then there are the gun-packing. cold-blooded killers that would murder for $10, pimping your children and stealing your tires off the family sedan---

Al Capone might have gone free if he had turned into an informant---while "joe anybody" rots in prison because he had nobody valuable to tell on...

And it is the DA who makes that choice. To fry, or not to fry, that is the question. And it's all up to the District Attorney and the grand jury.

You wanna make real changes to this system, all you have to do is make it transparent, open up it's operations for all to see and evaluate for fairness.

Keep it honest...that's all.

DaveMoff
07-25-2007, 12:15 PM
"Sentencing guidelines" also encourage the common tactic used by prosecutors in the form of "stacking" charges on an alleged offender. One will, say, be charged with three different offenses, two of which carry sentences of 5-10 years in prison, and one of which carries 30 days and two years' probation. His/her public defender will then be offered a "deal" in which he/she pleads guilty to the smallest charge and the other two are dismissed--never mind the merits of the case!

The usual result of course is a guilty plea. So the prosecutor gets what he wants, the public defender gets an easy check, and the defenday gets screwed.

Valerie
08-16-2007, 09:58 PM
Sometimes yes and sometimes no, It all depends on the situation.

Sh0r3ty
08-20-2007, 01:02 PM
well i didn't read all the posts in here, but i do not think that giving first time offenders prison, maybe 3-5 months in county jail then thats okay, to let them see what they did is wrong you know. if you just give them probation, then they had no time to think about what they did and such. and they can just be roaming the streets and doing the same thing again, at least that way they can think about what they did. another thing, if people just wanna be putting them in rehab, or some kind of program like that, its not up to someone to decide weather they should be put there or not, because if someone doesn't wanna change their ways than they are not gonna do it. but at least by giving them a lil time in county than they can think about what they did and what it lead to and then if they wanna stick with the same crap, than maybe then they should get more time the next time it happens again. thats just my opinion, peace out!

ChicosgrrlinCO
08-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Manufacturing is much different. I actually have a friend that has a friend that was caught manufacturing meth in Brownwood, Tx. Funny thing is he got probation... the system is so messed up. It's all about money. If you or your family have money you can get out of just about any mess you find yourself in.

Another situation, someone who was charged with the same as my husband, only 10x more of the drug... they came from a wealthy family. So their parents paid $10,000 up front in fines and they got 10 years probation and didn't even have to serve the full 10. I'm pretty sure it was 10, if not it was 5. And my husband wasted $5000 on a lawyer and got 10 years in prison... that doesn't add up. It's wrong and it is inhumane. Period!

In this society, you are guilty until prove innocent (not the other way around like the Constitution reads). Take a look at what they do with celebrities, for instance. I could get a felony just for having a little bit of personal stash pot on me during a cross-country road trip and all that would have to happen is get caught with it in the wrong state. Why is alcohol legal and pot is not?:hmm: I don't get it, either!

Black's Grl
10-02-2007, 10:43 AM
I also believe if it's a person first time. They should be given a second chance. Unless it is murder.

ilovedavid
10-06-2007, 11:15 AM
My husband and I are going thru this right now. He has never been in trouble with the law before, not even a traffic ticket. Now he's facing a minimum of 20 years to life for possession of over 140 grams of meth. I read somewhere in the beginning of this thread that someone wouldn't have larned their lesson had they not gone to prison. My husband has only been in jail since Sept. 11 of this year and has already learned his lesson. Not only has he lost his freedom, but his 4 beautiful kids, who I believe to be the rason behind him learning his lesson. He made a mistake, and now we are all going to be paying for it for a very long time, especially my kids.

midlandbrown
10-06-2007, 02:22 PM
My husband and I are going thru this right now. He has never been in trouble with the law before, not even a traffic ticket. Now he's facing a minimum of 20 years to life for possession of over 140 grams of meth. I read somewhere in the beginning of this thread that someone wouldn't have larned their lesson had they not gone to prison. My husband has only been in jail since Sept. 11 of this year and has already learned his lesson. Not only has he lost his freedom, but his 4 beautiful kids, who I believe to be the rason behind him learning his lesson. He made a mistake, and now we are all going to be paying for it for a very long time, especially my kids. So so sad;that is alot of Meth tho and the laws are really hard we just have to fight and hope that one day we will be heard.
My son came home Monday from prison i missed him so much.
He said going to prison did nothing for him that Rehab had already done and that it is a waste of tax money to house guys that can be helped other ways.
I can only pray for you and feel your pain.
Keep me posted on how things go

gigi29
10-07-2007, 01:05 AM
I agree completely with you. It is so stupid to throw these people in prison and disrupt their families, for non-violent offenses. What motivation is there for them to get/stay sober if the system tears their life apart??? My husband is in prison for a forged prescription. I'm sorry, but BFD! He didn't harm anyone except himself!

:angry: :angry: :angry:

HopeFromAbove
10-14-2007, 09:50 PM
I am not sure if any of you have ever heard of the organization calld FAMM.
They have a web site- FAMM stands for Families Against Mandatory Minimums.
They lobby congress and state legislators about reducing the crazy mandatory minimums in place for drug charges. Check out their web site for more info.

Logan1492
10-15-2007, 01:31 AM
I am not sure if any of you have ever heard of the organization calld FAMM.
They have a web site- FAMM stands for Families Against Mandatory Minimums.
They lobby congress and state legislators about reducing the crazy mandatory minimums in place for drug charges. Check out their web site for more info.

This is their website (http://www.famm.org/):

http://www.famm.org/

ChicosgrrlinCO
10-15-2007, 10:04 AM
I agree completely with you. It is so stupid to throw these people in prison and disrupt their families, for non-violent offenses. What motivation is there for them to get/stay sober if the system tears their life apart??? My husband is in prison for a forged prescription. I'm sorry, but BFD! He didn't harm anyone except himself!

:angry: :angry: :angry:

The medical lobby is the biggest political action committee in this country (oil is up there of course!) and it's the lobbiests & PAC committee which buy out our politicians (we're no better than what the media calls "corrupt govts."):blah: You bet I stocked up on meds when I went to Mexico last March - so was everyone getting off the cruise ships. Thank goodness Customs didn't catch me with it or otherwise, I could be in the same boat your husband is in.:eek:

mz.tjenkins
10-15-2007, 11:16 PM
it's wrong to that to people, that's what my man is facing. and it's breaking our family apart. our son is gonna be born next week and he wont even be able to see him much less be there.

HopeFaithNLove
10-27-2007, 03:35 AM
It gets better! Hang in there.

reggie42
12-06-2007, 09:57 PM
I think someone should start a petition on first-time drug charges going to prison. I think that some people get into more trouble than they could have expected.

They should be given an automatic chance on probation with some type of class that has to be taken as well, instead of being thrown in prison for 2-10 years or more!

If you agree please post here. If you know anything about trying to change the law in US please let me know!

I am in Texas!AMEN!!!:thumbsup:

PCGS70
12-07-2007, 09:48 AM
My girl is an addict. She sold crack to support her habbit. Nothing could keep her away from crack. Not church. Not rehab. Not AA/NA. Not love and support. Not jail. Not family. Nothing. After she was arrested she was happy that she was going to be locked up and away from drugs. Ha! Illegal Drugs are in prison. They are very expensive but they are available.

ohs2gmu
02-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Do you think a first time offender that gets caught with crack in a school zone should be given probation?

My house is within the certain school zone & that isn't something we can control. My mom was lucky to have her school zone charges dropped.. she had oxycontins & a small measure of cocaine. There is an entire forest and 2 soccer fields between my house and the school.... it's not like the little kids are even in sight of my house.

Lsvtec
03-31-2008, 11:23 PM
mine is being sentenced 10 years with a 1 year review for being caught with 8000 pills.. first offense.. what are the chances of him really getting out in a year?? his lawyer says he will get out in a year if he does good in prison.. enrolls in all the programs and does not get in trouble,etc.. we've paid almost 30 grand for his lawyer that told him hes gona be released next year instead of getting 10 years.. i hope the lawyer isnt jacking us around and i really hope he will get out next year! any thoughts?

greeneyedlady19
04-01-2008, 01:52 AM
My husbands lawyer told us my husband would be up for parole the first time in 2002. He was sentenced in 95. And did not have his 1st parole hearing until 2004.

Lsvtec
04-01-2008, 12:04 PM
that's sad to hear. all the hope the lawyer feeds you thinking you will be out like he says then end up sitting out for a couple more years I know some lawyers are screwy I've been screwed out of 20 grand already from a previous laywer that told us he could only in his best power get him 10 years! omg I can't belive it. he sounded so cocky before we hired him! blah blah yeah I can get him off with probly probation blah blah.. yeah right! 10 years!? im sure we could have gotten that result with a public defender on a first offense! I guess he is now probly out enjoying the 20 grand he didn't work for.well we dropped that douche and hired a better one this time (another 15 grand spent) he got it down to 1 year.. we're going off this ones word. and he better be out in 1 year or im just going to explode! *sigh* so much money spent already I guess all the money in the world won't do any better. anyways just thought id release some steam out. I feel a little better now. anyone been in this situation before could probly understand my frustrations and finanial frustrations hehe =/

lilithinwaiting
04-01-2008, 10:40 PM
A child rapist or some nut job who slaughters several innocent people will get less time that any drug offense.. Something is wrong with that picture.

Jayzwife
04-03-2008, 05:19 PM
My husband is only guilty of being stupid he didn't use nor sell drugs. His is involvement is because his sibling didn't want to take the fall by himself. And now our lives have been disrupted due to someone else.

sonrie2007
04-05-2008, 06:11 PM
WOW, everybody sounds much like our problem :( he get 15 years for 3 kilos and we were supposed to be "HAPPY" since he could get 15 to life :blah: He is not a bad person, and I think thats a lot of time, besides we would be deported to Mexico.... Now he has more than 2 years inside and this august would be 2 time in parole.... What do you think? What can we expect??
The parole lawyer said that when she cant won the first time, she win second :D ja, and later she would said that if she doesnt won second she can win 3rth....
I really dont know what to expect, if this is his first time, and he is in a county jail, he would be deported to Mexico, he has a "good" parole packet and never have problemes inside, Im worry, we have a 3yr old boy who most of his life only spend two hours every 3 weeks in there, becouse the rules inside for the kids are also very stupid.
I am happy to find more people that feels just like me, but sincerely, you think second would be the one????
I hope I go thru all this with all you, becouse right now Im really getting crazy and a little hopeless....
please write back :)

snoops_girl
04-09-2008, 10:27 PM
hi, me and my husband was busted with a meth lab in 2005, and let me tell you it is not a fun thing.. some people say that us on drugs know what we are in for, well that may be true but the drug takes control and you loose all track of what is true and what is false.. i never dreamed we'd be in as much trouble as we were.. i did 48days and county and 4months away from my kids and let me tell ya that was my wake up call.. they wanted to give us life in prison for our 1st time and never being in trouble.. we did not buy or way out of it.. we did EVERYTHING they asked of us regardless of how stupid it seemed.. In april of 07 we got 5yrs probation with a 15yr. back up. we have now been clean two yrs.. it has'nt all been easy but is well worth at it when i look at my kids.. i feel if your an adult and know what your putting in your body then they should leave you alone, but when you start giving it to kids than yes send their butts up... that is just my opion...

strugglingwife
05-11-2008, 06:54 PM
yes,i agree there should be an alternative to prison for first time non-violent offenders. My husband was sentenced to 5 yrs.10 months on a conspiracy charge and was never even caught with drugs.Three people arrested prior gave his name and the feds came and got him. We didn't have $ for a lawyer because he was not dealing drugs, he was and addict. Also, he will do his time with no time off for good behavior because there is no parole for federal prisoners. The indictment on my husband was from 2001 and they arrested him in 2006,they told him they were sorry it took so long to come for him. The sad part is he had gotten off of drugs in 2004 and started a prison ministry. I have 2 small boys who miss there father who had rehabilitated himself. I'm not saying he should not have been punished but i think house arrest would have been more fair. Federal judges do not have the authority to use their discretion when sentencing,they go by guidelines and that is where the problem lies.The judge said he was sympathetic to my husbands case after recieving several letters from several pastors and even the probation officer who handled my husbands case while he was on house arrest waiting on his court date. The only way the system can change is with enough people contacting their state representatives and making enough noise to be heard, which is what i am trying to do.Sign petitions, write your congress men .

ricklee
05-12-2008, 11:17 PM
i agree with you all, a addict don't need prison time,they need medical help for their addition.having them sit in prison to rot doesn't help them at all.what do you expect from our state and goverment system.

boricuasgirl
05-15-2008, 09:45 PM
My man is in prison for meth. It hurts me everyday to not have him with me. There isn't a day or night that goes by without thinking of him. I wish gas prices would drop so I could see him as often as I did in the past.

BUT, we have a daughter and I would KILL the SOB that ever tried to sell her any type of drug. I feel awful for my man but the drugs he sold could have gotten to YOUR KIDS or someone who you know. Drugs don't only destroy the life of the person who sells them and gets caught it destroys the young kids/teenagers who consume them.

I think that if my man had the balls to go hustle then he needs to use those same balls to pay for his crime. He knew it was illegal to do it.

Kana84
06-03-2008, 10:50 PM
This is a pretty long thread so I've just skimmed it, but I just wanted to say that most the arguements for or against probation for first time drug offenders are based on the false assumption that harsher sentences deter people from doing or dealing drugs. That is simply not the case, as drug use and availability have remained relatively stable regardless of continually harsher sentences.

Singapore for example has a mandatory death penalty for drug possession. Do you think thats stopped people from dealing it there? From 2001 to 2002 the number of drug abusers rose 16 percent.

So really what does sending drug users and dealers to prison really do but overcrowd our prisons, send non-violent offenders to schools that teach them how to become better criminals, expose them to more violence, alienate them, and make them more angry and bitter at the world when they come out.

My L.A.E.L.L.
06-03-2008, 10:56 PM
my mans in prison for meth also. sometimes i think its not far- other times i think it saved his life to be forced into soberity....he was getting way too caught up- and life was scary. really scary. i wish he had more of a rehabilitation type program though. its just like i tell him- "being sober inside is awesome- but theres a hell of a lot more oppertunities outside to get stuff- and its going to be harder" i ask him if he thinks he can handle it out here without treatment first...he thinks he can. and i'll only support him. but believe me- if i even begin to see the warning signs again- i'll drop him off at a treatment center- its not okay to hurt everyone around you by being selfish and doing drugs/selling drugs. I LEARNED MY LESSON. im clean. ive made a life choice. but i did it on my own because i WANTED to....not "i did it on my own because i got locked up" i just hope he WANTS to be sober like he says. id feel a whole lot better about this is first time drug offenders got treatment instead of prison though.

My L.A.E.L.L.
06-03-2008, 11:08 PM
i feel that i must add- he had been a meth addict for over 10 years. so sometimes i worry that without treatment- this is just going to be a break and then he'll start right back up again when he gets out-i mean- thats what an addict would do-right?

my <3 hurts
06-06-2008, 09:14 PM
I agree 100%. My son is serving a four year sentence for drug trafficking. He's a nonviolent, first time offender. His addiction controlled him to a degree, but he did work to support his kids & hide how bad his problem was from his wife & family. He sold to his friends to support his habit. Don't get me wrong, he broke the law & deserves to be punished. But four years away from his kids & family. Not to mention trying to find employment, adjusting back to a family life after being gone so long. Addiction is a sickness, so how does locking someone up change that fact. Jail time & treatment makes more sense & is cheaper for the tax payers! He could be home supporting his family & getting help with his addiction which led him to be an offender in the first place.

kuruptsoul
06-13-2008, 04:46 AM
Hmm my wife was sentenced 10 months for selling 1 1/2 oz of pot over a 3 month period by the same wired person. And that was over 2 years ago and now paying 2 1/2 years or so later. we have 2 daughters, and i work 2nd shift, animals locked up in the house 8-12 hours a day unless i can get some one to stop by. its all messed up... longest 5 days away from some one in my life... I do feel a bit better knowing were not the only ones that have gotten fucked over, but yet it is B.S. They knew she is a house wife with children/ family, that doesn't do much but cook and clean take care of the kids, cook breakfast and dinner.... Yeah a big threat to society..... I mean wtf???? And yet it all comes down to a meth addict(narc)that fucked us over so she could keep tweaking........

iforresti
06-19-2008, 03:19 PM
I turn myself in 7 days for a 57 month sentance for 1st time anything let alone felony charge.. I knew what I was doing, and the risk I was taking, I did think they would be easier on me since this is my anything. So no I don't think they should go to prison, We should get a chance at some kind of reform..

adeliz1982
06-19-2008, 05:18 PM
:( Well to start off let me say that my husband which i love and adore with all my heart is in prison for intent to distribute. i honestly think he does deserve to be there for doing something illegal. but i also believe that they should give him a couple of breaks on time he will be serving, when its there first non violent felony. i also beleive prison has saved him from the coke addict he was behind every ones back, if not right now i dont know were he would be. his got 1 yr 4 months left which beleive me when i say it seems eternal. i think that prison will help him be a better human, husband and father when his out. god works in mysterious ways and i think that god listened to my prayers, when i asked him to save my husband and my marriage, to help my husband be the man i married. i asked god to do what ever it took, no matter how hard it was as long as i could deal with it and ofcourse my husband could deal with it, and guess what, this happened. i beleive in my heart that this is for a better future when he is finally free. the only thing that makes me very sad is the fact that he is a resident alien and will be deported. and ofcourse that right now i am raising 2 boys (5 and 6) all alone with out a father figure.

edenkd
06-19-2008, 10:58 PM
My father is serving 56 years on a first offense non-violent drug crime.... its ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

noboundries
06-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Yes! especially the Crack vs Cocain Law, it is soooo discriminatory!

There are different organizations that you can hook up with to make help make a change. Some will atlease give you a link to other organizations that are more specific to your intrest. Check out The Sentencing Project, Human Rights Watch ....good luck. Contact me if you want some more info

I am in Texas!

missingmybaby1
07-11-2008, 12:11 PM

I am in Texas!
I'm in Texas as well and it is insane and alot of other states from what I'm seeing have the same stories,they are horrific! I might be a statistic myself...We all need to get togethor on this one! I wish we had more knowledge..They need help not prison!

midlandbrown
07-11-2008, 01:44 PM
My son came home after 2 years in Oct from Federal Prison and had never been in trouble before that and im with anyone that wants to get on board with a Petition and i had found a web site last year to print off and you can too
www.november.org
It is the November Coalition

missingmyhubby2
09-18-2008, 12:05 AM
:mad:i agree with u hun i think they should be able to get something but not prison time. my husband was a 1st time offender and he got 14 yrs in fci low in beaumont tx and we r from alabama. he will not get out till one week after my son's 21st birthday and our daughter will be 19 and they r only 11 n 8 rite now... i mean this is bull crapi understand that selling drugs is a crime but peoeple get out here n drink n drive n kill some1 n only get wat??? maybe 1 or 2 in prison or not even that???? do they not understand that our kids are the that are getting punished as well??? my kids have changed so much since their dad has been gone they went from good kids to demons i love my kids with all my heart n soul but something has got to give.......:mad::angry:

gj07
09-24-2008, 08:57 PM
I think the school zone is a rotten deal since school zone does not mean just a school or school yard, but can be many things such as a field where school kids practice, a school administrative building, a church that might have a school activity occasionally, etc. Just about any area can be called within a school zone. This is just a law to be used by the prosecuring attorney whenever he wants to add more time.

Hisangelwings84
09-25-2008, 01:27 PM
no they should have to
be charged

BabysluvnPrison
09-30-2008, 06:41 PM
ok for the Oregon voters... they want was to vote on adding drug and property crimes to measure 11, what they aren't telling us is that if this passes then we are also authorizing the building of 3 more prisons in the state of Oregon and 4,000- 6,000 more Oregonians going to prison. I have spoken to several people about this matter and the best action is to get everyone to vote "NO" on this matter. It seems like the Oregon government won't stop until they have all Oregonians in prison somehow.

Just thought this would be the best place to put this since prisons effect all of us on this forum

midlandbrown
10-01-2008, 12:35 PM
My son is home after serving two years as a first time non violent drug offender and is doing really good.He has been home one year already.
He said prison wasnt what helped him it was drug rehab that he was in for 45 days after he was bustted that helped him so by the time he went to prison he was already clean
Things have got to change in our drug laws

jdhbabygirl
10-06-2008, 02:45 AM
:angry: I'M SO UPSET W/ OUR SYSTEM IT'S CRAZY TO SEND US AWAY TO PRISON FOR OUR FIRST OFFENSE, MY HUSBAND WAS SENTENCED TO 10 YRS. AT AGE 18 FOR A SMALL DRUG CHARGE, CRAZY I KNOW...

jdhbabygirl
10-06-2008, 02:46 AM
[quote=jdhbabygirl;4039972]:angry: I'M SO UPSET W/ OUR SYSTEM IT'S CRAZY TO SEND US AWAY TO PRISON FOR OUR FIRST OFFENSE, MY HUSBAND WAS SENTENCED TO 10 YRS. AT AGE 18 FOR A SMALL DRUG CHARGE, CRAZY I KNOW...

adbaby
10-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Im in Texas too but my man is in Arkansas Pen. First time drug charge and not for any hard drugs... I think that he should have gotten probation but I guess they think that if they go to prison that they will change their ways. After going to prison it's hard for anyone to do anything positive with their lives because noone wants to hire a person with a record now days. anyways I hope that everything works out.. All we can do is pray for the best.

bow-hunter
10-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Let me vent my feelings on the "drug war". I am 30yrs old, was attending 2 colleges, own a small business, and worked as a realtor. A very good friend of mine was caught selling drugs. I told him that I would help his wife and kids until he got out of prison. I gave her money on several occasions to help her out. I called just about every day to check on her. One day she came to me and said that she needed to talk to me about something. She said that the guy her husband was dealing with was looking for someone to help move a kilo of cocaine, and she asked if I could help her. My first response was "HELL NO". She brought the subject up many times and I always rejected the proposition. One day she asked me to come over,I went, she pulled her pockets out and showed me $2 and a little change and began crying,saying "I cant feed the kids,I can't buy them school clothes, I can't pay the bills,etc. She said that the guy promised her $2000 if she could find someone to move a kilo. She told me that through her husband, she could move it fast and just needed my help. I agreed to help but made my feelings wel known to her that I didn't approve but gave my word to help. I borrowed the money,picked her up and went to meet the guy. I get thrown on the ground with guns in my face and arrested for posession with intent to distribute 500grms or more. I never asked to be involved, I was never looking for drugs.I was talked into something that I wanted no part of. Through the discovery information I learned that she was working as a cs for the FBI. She set me up so her husband would get a reduced sentence.He didn't.She was paid a very small amount of money and my life is over. After I made bond and talked with my family I was so ashamed that I sat on the foot of the bed with a pistol in my mouth praying to God to forgive me for what I was about to do. I think by the faith of God my fiance called and talked to me and changed my mindset. I was in the process of starting a big brother-big sister organization, less than 10 months away from a Bachelors degree, had already started a very succesfull SCUBA club, me and my fiance were planning on trying to get pregnant in the winter and getting married in the early spring.Now all is lost. All of this not for the so called "war on drugs" but to ad another number to a FBI agents record. The FED's say that they didn't record any conversations prior to the agreement, how convienent for them huh?Those conversations plainly show my objection to the situation as well as her saying "I can sell it,I just need the money and a way to get there". What do you think about the "war on drugs" now? I am a first time offende and am looking at 5-40yrs.........5-40yrs!!!!!!!!!!! As far as I am concerned the US government and every three letter organization can KISS MY ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaveMoff
10-28-2008, 02:05 PM
I thank you, bow-hunter--you have provided food for thought and a very good point that is often ignored in discussions of this sort. Why, if drugs are such a "menace to society", are those charged with enforcing the laws against them forced to CREATE criminals as opposed to arresting those who are supposedly destroying the moral fabric of society? Could it be that there isn't a monster under the bed after all?

Perhaps the pro "war on drugs" people could weigh in on this. Is a potential sentence of 5-40 years an appropriate response to what is, at worst, a case of poor judgment? For the record, I find this sort of thing utterly ridiculous.

Stick around, bow-hunter....you'll find fellowship and support here. Above all, you will find that you are far from alone.

pamela_c
11-08-2008, 11:27 AM
It makes so much more sense to me for our government to legalize marijuana. That would allow them to tax it and control it. That would eliminate so many problems.
My son has told me that he saw something in rehab where Obama was stating that same thing. I can only hope that our government finally stops letting the pharmaceutical companies paying so much to lobbyists to keep it illegal.
I believe that our federal sentencing structure is nothing short of ridiculous.
My future SIL had never been in trouble in his life and got talked into
helping an uncle and cousins with a large marijuana grow. Conspiracy
to manufacture is a 10 year sentence for first time offenders. He has accepted responsibility for his part and cooperated by answering questions, so there will be some downward departure. My daughter and I ended up in the middle of this when they got busted. Fortunately, we aren't looking at any charges. But, I did have to make a statement. There are 5 lives ruined for something that shouldn't even be illegal, IMO.
During the last couple of months, while looking for information and answers, I have been horrified by some of the stories that I have came across in how the feds operate. They look at the end result they want and then do anything to get there, making great deals with the bad guys to often end up with the decent person getting screwed.
Between my experience through the last couple of months with my SIL and the last 6 months with Immigration with my husband....and many other government agencies along the way.........I have completely lost faith in the US governmment to be able to do the right thing. I worry where the US headed and what chance my kids have for a future with the route things are headed.
Sign as many online petitions that you can. If everybody gets involved, we can make a change.

dianna4444
11-19-2008, 07:50 AM
http://www.fedcure.org/information/F...rWriting.shtml (http://www.fedcure.org/information/FedCURE100kLetterWriting.shtml) write sentencing commission to help our loved ones come home sooner from federal prisons, this is a bill that needs to be passed offers, less time and possibility of parole, we are stronger in numbers thanks

gj07
11-28-2008, 04:08 PM
I have just recently become a part of this drug war problem. For years I had no pity on people that used drugs, after all I and my family did not use drugs so why have pity on someone who did. Then it hits your family and you find out that a really great person has been using and is in deep trouble from it. The solution is alternate to prison facilities that work much like a boot camp with training in refraining from drugs use. We have some really great facilities that cost just a very small amount in comparison to prison.
Why are these not being used. In my case, I am seeing a law enforcement group that prefer prison due to the big story it gives them of cleaning the streets of drugs, even though they know that the person will go to prison and most likely return again to the streets. I know we have some great law enforcement people who devote their lives to trying to do the right thing and I have always supported them, but now I am seeing there are some that are thinking of their career progression and how great this will look for them. In my case, I am still haunted by the young female detective who could not wipe the smile from her face or the giggles from her voice as she sat at the sentencing while hearts were breaking for others. I wish I could just tell her that smiling at a sentencing is like smiling at a funeral. All that was on her mind though was how her career would be helped. How sad that we have to experience this ourselves before we begin looking at the problem.
I have prayed so hard for a different outcome. I Just try to think now that maybe God needs people like us that have come from a very law abiding family to having a family member involved. Maybe we are the ones that can get someone to listen. We all need to try. We need to learn all we can about drugs, we need to join all the organizations that are trying to change this situation, and we need to write everyone we can think of that might can make a difference. This is my opinion. I am open to any suggestions though.

gj07
12-08-2008, 09:28 PM
They have alternates to prison for non-violent drug offenders which is almost 2 years of very stringent training. Those that do not comply with the program as they should can then be tried for their original charges. This is very inexpensive compared to prison for the taxpayers and has a very high success rate. Why does law enforcement prefer prison--all I can figure is that it does not make such a dramatic ending for them and thus not as beneficial in their career. If they can lock someone up in prison they can say they are cleaning up the streets of drugs. All they are doing is locking them away with violent offenders. When they are released with no help in combating their habit they are back on the streets and many have now learned to be violent criminals. They can then be arrested again and someone can then say how they are doing so much to clean up the streets. If this cycle can not be broken, it just keeps getting worse. We are the ones that need to convince those in charge that this is wrong. Those on drugs need help. We need to do all we can to convince those that are making our laws that this is wrong.

mlg_0720
12-09-2008, 04:10 PM
what is the program called and do all prisons offer it. my hubby is in Englewood Colorado has served 2yrs 3mos now on his 12 year sentenced

he is a first time offender NON VIOLENT

gj07
12-11-2008, 12:17 PM
There are alternates to prison that run from 18-24 months for non-violent first time drug offenders. This is a very intense program which include drug rehab. There success rate is high. A person can attend the program and if the school feels they have not been a success with the program will send them back to face their charges. So there is really nothing to loose while saving the higher expense of prison. Why prison instead? The only reason I can figure out is that law enforcement will not get the recognition they will get from a big prison sentence.

I know someone said they did not think anyone went to prison for their first criminal offense. Yes, they do, with no weapons, no manufacturing, etc. Also, on school zone. This is not necessarily a school zone as most of us think of a school zone. It covers a broad range and can even be a church in some cases.

gj07
12-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Someone asked what the Alternate to Prison program are called. That is what they are called. There is a chain in Texas that are called Cenikor. There is one in Fort Worth, one in Houston, and one in Deer Park; also one in Baton Rouge, LA. The admissions dept number is 1-888-236-4567. I was told there is also a simular program in Colorado. They are very low cost. The people attending must work there way through the program. They are not paid wages, but are given all they need. This is one way they keep the cost so low. I was told by someone that it is like a long boot camp. They do have a better success rate than prison and also are a lot cheaper. So why does law enforcement prefer prison?? It just does not make sense to me.

dawg in gray
12-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Dear Bow-Hunter,
My son has a similar story, except he is serving 12 years for being nice! It all started when one of his best friends calls him out of the blue and asks him to do a favor for him. My son, who is the nicest guy there is, goes visit his friend, who tells him that he wants to purchase some cocaine from this guy he knows has some for sale, but he is unable to go purchase it himself because he owes him money from a previous purchase. The "friend" tells him that he will drive him to his house and give him the money to purchase the cocaine. All he had to do was knock on the door, hand him the money, take the drugs, and bring it back to him in the vehicle. My son had never been in any trouble before and did not do drugs himself. He thought he was helping a friend out, so he agreed to do it. Everything went off OK, until one day months later he was pulled over for a burnt headlight on his car. The officer took his license, then proceeded to tell him that he had an outstanding warrant for possession of cocaine and distribution with the intent to sell schedule II narcotics. He was in shock because he knew he never did or sold any drugs in his life. He didn't even remember that "five minute favor" he did for his friend. When taken to the police station, he was told about the whole "scam" that the cops in our area do to "get the bad guys off the streets". His so-called-friend was previously arrested and the cops make deals with these guys by telling them if they give them 5 names of their friends that they would get off of their charges. The cops were in on the whole plan and wired the guy so the whole thing was on tape. I can't believe that our government works with the criminals to send innocent "friends" to jail for 12 years and lets the guilty off scott free! What kind of system are we running??

gj07
12-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Yes, Drawing in Gray I believe was your name, We just don't think these things happen in our society until it hits us. I wrote DA, sheriff, everyone I could think of to try and get them to use the alternate to prison. This would have gotten him out of the state he was in and with family that could help him to stay on the right track. I even reminded them that 25 percent of the people that go to prison for the first time for non-violent crime will return someday for a violent crime. My biggest fear is that he will be released right back into the same state, no family, no money, and right back around the same people that the problem started with. It seems they don't even care--just that big arrest and give them all the time we can. All of us need to tell our stories to the government. Maybe some day we can get a better system.

iceprincessx3
12-19-2008, 09:58 PM
No. My boyfriend was arrested and charged with possession and distribution of cocaine in the second degree. In New Jersey, second degree crimes carry a prison sentence of 5-10 years.

This is my boyfriend's first felony, and first drug charge. He has been an addict for four years, and it was due to his addiction that he was selling drugs.

He has been in County Jail for three months, where he has been placed into a Drug Rehabilitation program where he attends NA and AA meetings, group discussions, one on one time with a counselor, as well as other educational classes such as computer class. This program has helped him in so many ways. We are hoping and praying that he will not be sentenced to prison, but rather some sort of a program that will help him, such as Drug Court.

For some, I agree that rehab programs or prison will not work. This is because usually the person does not want help, or does not want to be sober. After serving their sentence, or finishing their program, they are released and go back to being an abuser and committing crimes. Some individuals, on the other hand, want and need the help and are completely well behaved, law abiding citizens when they are clean and sober. Sadly, sometimes these individuals are thrown in prisons and jails where they don't receive the help they need.

Daywalker
12-22-2008, 04:48 AM
I think it depends on the drug and the nature of the offense. If you're smoking pot, in your own home, and you're not dealing, then I don't think you should be going to jail at all, as long as you are maintaining your responsibilities.

If you're cooking meth in my neighborhood, I want you gone somewhere, because I don't wish for you to blow up 1/2 the block with your foolishness. I also don't wish to be shot, stabbed or assaulted by any of the "traffic" that you are bringing around.

If you are selling or providing ANYTHING to minors, I think you should go to prison. And your first rehab in there is to deal with why on earth you thought it would be ok to hurt someone's children.

My apartment complex now has a zero tolerance drug policy. If you're caught with street drugs on the property, you're out - no recourse, and no questions asked. Frankly, it's one of the things that makes my complex one of the safer ones in Oklahoma City. But I think that most drug use should be looked at the same way as alcohol is looked at. If you want to drink, that's a victimless crime. If you drive drunk, and you decide to use my car and my body to wreck your car, it's no longer victimless, and you should get prison time.

ILoveMyLana
12-25-2008, 10:11 PM
I don't want to insult anybody here or their family members. But I was kind of thinking the same thing.

There is a difference between the types of dealers and drugs that there are. But the business of selling drugs is a violent one. There is a reason why drug dealers carry guns. Just because a person may not have been convicted of a violent crime, doesn't mean that the person isn't violent. It's an incredibily violent business.

This is not meant to sound racist but you must not have been around to many drug dealers. I have known many many many of them and like 2 owned guns and they had nothing to do with the drugs they just liked to shoot guns. Now all those people where white. In bad areas I know black drug dealers almost always have guns. It's an odd thing. I guess cause black people are alot faster to pull a gun on one another then white people are it's just a fact. White people tend to kill each other over love (like spouses) or other things while black people tend to kill each other over drug money. I'm not saying it never happens with whites but just watch that show the first 48...most are black if it's over drugs. I guess it's cause with whites alot of times the drug of cchoice to sell is weed while blacks tend to sell crack...of course there are blacks that sell weed and whites that sell coke and probably a few that sell crack but that's just my opinion on what I have seen in my life

StormyLove2
12-26-2008, 09:02 AM
yes

tanyat702
01-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Yes

bb451
03-29-2009, 06:43 PM
5 years, 10 years 20 years?!? For drug offenses?!? How could anyone defend this madness?
I'm against prison, jail, probation or any other sanction on an individial's freedom unless they are a clear danger to others. If you give the authorities any "exceptions" to that rule they will not use the power reasonably. You are all well aware of that by now.

For those that need help with addictions - good luck to you. I mean that sincerely. I just hope you can find help somewhere other than the DOC.

iceprincessx3
03-29-2009, 08:37 PM
My fiance got lucky, knock on wood. He had one prior offense where he was caught with 1 bag of marijuana. He was placed on PTI and forced to pay a $800 fine. This was when he was 18 years old.

Now, at 22 years old.. he was set up by an undercover who wanted to purchase cocaine. He gave her crushed up Excedrin 3 times, and on the last time he gave her actual Cocaine.. They charged him with Distribution of CDS near a school zone.. He sat in county jail for about 6 months while he was being sentenced and then was allowed to participate in the Drug Court program.

Drug Court is a program for those who are drug addicts and have non violent charges that mostly result of their addictions. The program will keep the individuals from serving the prison time they most likely would have been serving otherwise and place them on a very intensive and strict probation. They are court ordered to complete inpatient rehab, intensive outpatient rehab, go to 12 step meetings, and report to their probation officer weekly. They are randomly drug tested and also report to court from weekly to monthly. The program has different phases. As the individual shows progress, they are moved through the phases and as a result are given more freedom. The program lasts a minimum of 18 months and can last up to 5 years. The main point of this program is that if they violate, they can be sent back to prison.

My fiance is currently on Phase I of the program. He was told if he violates, he must serve a 3 year sentence with 1 year parole ineligibility. I am very pleased with everything about the program and think it should be more widely implemented. I know that here in New Jersey, there is a Drug Court in every county and thousands have successfully graduated from the program. I'm not sure how common it is in other states though.

golinda1
04-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Son got 6 years in federal prison but it was his second offense. If he would not be in prison he would be dead by now and I would be visiting his grave and not him in prison. It has been very hard but he is alive.

I do think the drug laws suck, my daughter got arrestes a few months ago, first charge for her and they told us she could do 2 to 10. I am so scared for her.
I think they should do something else for addicts beside lock them up and throw away the key.

kel1313
04-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Wow, sounds like what happened to my husband in Jackson County. He was set up in a school zone by an undercover and being a first time offender got 2 years TDCJ. The lead detective sat in during the Grand Jury hearing when my husband's lawyer wasn't admitted. He proceeded to make remarks to jury members and ultimately got two indictments out of them. Congratulations to the detective for being chosen Law Enforcement Officer of the Year 2008. Something needs to be done, with the economy as bad as it is there is going to be a surge in first time offenders. Not bad people, they are just trying to put food on the table.

ivecnub4
04-19-2009, 08:34 PM
the feds dont believe in drug re-hab. they just wanna lock everyone up, non violent, first time, victim less. most people are never even caught with drugs like myself. just heresay or someone who did have drugs in their possesion trying to avoid a long sentence. in the federal system CONSPIRACY IS A PROSECUTERS DREAM. the govt. really needs to re-evaluate theses sentencing guidelines and start helping abusers instead of giving them lenghty prison sentenences. what a waste of tax payers money.

Claire Gale
04-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Addicts are very ill and need medical treatment for their illness. Not some f-up'd system that can't find it's butthole from a hole in the ground. So, what does an addict look like? An addict looks like me and you and everyone else. Now, I think that most dealers are addicts trying to make more money to use more drugs. An addict would sell thier mother's soul if they could get some drugs in exchange. That's what addiction is...an illness that need treatment. The only other option if they don't receive proper treatment is institutions and/or death.

Now, I know my addict and your addict behind all the b.s. drug facade are some of the most beautiful people on earth. Most are not violent! However, some states choose to incarcerate these clinically sick individuals at the cost of family member's, taxpayer's and most importantly the addict's detriment. I believe we have some backward's thinkers running the justice system and it is very sad to experience this igornance first hand.

Russian Icon
04-29-2009, 02:46 AM
I think it comes down to the amount of drugs involved. If someone get's busted for pot for personal use no they shouldn't go to prison for there first drug arrest. However if there first drug arrest they get caught with 3 tons of pot then that's a different story.

Most of the inmates i have done time with are drug offenders and it was with small amounts.

person88
06-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Really though, what harm is 3 tons of pot going to do? It doesn't matter if it is for personal use or sale. Pot is less harmful than tobacco and alcohol, why should it be prosecuted at all?

Only in the last century could a person go to jail for their personal choice of what they put in their body. Oh yeah there was possibly another time too.....the Inquisitions in Europe. Interesting how we emulate that type of intolerance, bigotry, and irrationality in this modern age.

person88
06-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Of course rehab would be better than prison, but honestly people shouldn't be forced into something they don't believe in. Once the insanity called drug prohibition comes to an end, the only time a person should be forced into rehab is if they harmed another person under the influence......the same as what we do with alcohol crimes. So if some coked up man assaults some innocent people on the road, he could be forced into rehab just like if a drunk man did the same thing. But that's the furthest we can go.

DaveMoff
06-01-2009, 11:00 PM
All societies find scapegoats, some more obvious than others. Many societies have burned witches. The United States once demonized communists, and we all know well the long history of mistreatment of the mentally ill (hardly a practice that has come to an end). At the moment, our "witches" appear to be "sex offenders" (used to be "child molesters" until John Walsh and co. convinced the rank and file that the two are synonymous) and drug users/sellers/addicts. Historically, different racial and ethnic groups have been targeted for abuse. Someone else will come along during the lifetimes of most of us, and the sad thing is, a fair number of us will fall for it.

At various times during the 20th Century, marijuana was said to be a major cause of insanity and the distribution of it was said to be part of a communist plot, depending on which scapegoats were in vogue at the time. Some of you may know that masturbation was once believed to cause insanity--which leaves one wondering if there is a sane person on the face of the earth.

The process of scapegoating is by and large a refusal to take responsibility for one's own faults, instead attempting to transfer them onto another person or group. Hence Rush Limbaugh's rants against drug addicts even after he was proven to be one. Hence the moral tirades of various bluenoses who turn out to be involved in the same-sex relationships they claim to abhor.

If anyone tells you that the way to improve society is to harass someone who is not harming anyone else--keep your eyes on the person who's telling you, because he's probably the dangerous one.

sixpack6t9
06-04-2009, 07:24 AM
I don't believe "addiction" is clinical, I believe it's mathematical...Crime is the best paying job in our country---not for the criminals, but for law enforcement, the courts, jails, prisons, transport services, prison industries, food services, phone service providers, various device manufacturers (like tasers, GPS bracelets, etc...), treatment centers and counselors, parole-probation officers and support, file clerks and other support personnel, construction and other service contractors, child services, legislators...the list is almost endless of those who benefit from crime.

Literally millions of people count on CRIME to put the bread on their table in one way or another.

I've read articles where entire towns and communities would be laid to waste if their local gulag was to be closed down. of course, the most powerful union in the country, the one our law enforcement, corrections and supervision personnel all belong to, has rallied many times against prison closures, because of all of the 'good' people who would be out of a job.

Each inmate, probationer or criminally accused, supports a stunning number of people in the lifestyle they have become accustomed to as they make their inevitable transition from freedom to incarceration...

Then, there are huge state and federal grants for everyone involved in the 'justice' system, on top of our tax dollars---we are really paying to incarcerate ourselves!

If anyone should get gutsy and do the math, you will understand that CRIME DOES PAY, as long as you are working FOR, not AGAINST the system. Here, you must be part of the problem in order to reap the rewards of human misery.

IMO, THE WORD "INCHOATE" SHOULD BE WIPED FROM THE TEXT OF ALL LAWS, along with the phrase "victimless crime"... and the words "prison" and "profit" should never appear in the same sentence.

When it is no longer profitable to hate, we will stop the hate.

When fear is not profitable, there will be no fear mongering.

When ignorance is not bliss, we will open our eyes to the truth.

and that's my opinion...

Eupfhoria
06-17-2009, 05:29 PM
I am also soon to be going to prison for a sentence of 4-6, for 1 count of delivery of cocaine (3 grams) and 1 count of conspiracy to deliver marijuana.

This is my first of offense of any kind.

Not much else to say, as just a quick browse of this thread shows that I am by no means alone, and everything has already been said.

gabella22
07-05-2009, 05:09 PM
My fiance has a first time non violent drug felony offense. He's just barely 20 yrs old and got a 15 yr sentence to prison. I in no way think this is fair, when he was waiting to get sentenced he checked into rehab on his own. He did a great job there, he continued meetings after he graduated and I could already tell how much better he was trying to get. We knew he was looking at prison time and just knowing that scared the hell out of him and we really thought that rehab could help him out and having his counselor at court supporting him. His counselor knew he didn't belong in prison. Well court didn't go the way we wanted (15 yr sentence) he's in the county jail right now, he's been there almost 2 months, he's got another 2 months there before he gets transferred to diagnostics. I wasn't expecting all that to happen at his court date, I figured since this was his first time offense that he could get off with drug court, boot camp or RPF. It just really doesn't seem fair that they throw a young man like him into prison for his first offense.
The laws messed up.

rockstara
07-06-2009, 01:23 PM
I suppose my fiance and I are really really really blessed. Reading all of these posts....I can't complain not one single bit. I do believe in second chances...I've done things in my life that could have sent me to jail....but I've never gone and learned my lesson from a "warning" so to speak....but I've decided to comment on this because I guess I'm confused on why people are getting so much time on drug charges. Some with the same amount, even though in different states, are getting the book thrown at them for very small amounts. My fiances first offense he was busted with just about every drug under the sun including a loaded gun and got 180 days of county time. Second time got busted with selling drugs again, same drugs not small amounts and got 4 years with half time and a strike(for gang affliation)....some I'm reading are being hit with ten or more years....God bless you all....my prayers are with you....him and I are very blessed that he's not serving a long sentence with him not being a first time offender....

artis1234
07-13-2009, 04:35 PM
i agree my husband got 2yr since for 1-4 oz and del

DD's Girl
07-14-2009, 08:16 PM
My husband is facing 10-15 years for a first time Federal Drug Charge with only 50 grams of crack and a gun just in the house. So it sucks to be us, Julie Stewart of FAMM was in Congress today speaking about the Mandatory Min so maybe one day they will get rid of them again and he'll be home earlier.

DD's Girl
07-14-2009, 08:19 PM
I agree because until this happended to us in March I paid no attention. I thought the "justice" system was just and we found out real quick that it wasn't.

I have just recently become a part of this drug war problem. For years I had no pity on people that used drugs, after all I and my family did not use drugs so why have pity on someone who did. Then it hits your family and you find out that a really great person has been using and is in deep trouble from it. The solution is alternate to prison facilities that work much like a boot camp with training in refraining from drugs use. We have some really great facilities that cost just a very small amount in comparison to prison.
Why are these not being used. In my case, I am seeing a law enforcement group that prefer prison due to the big story it gives them of cleaning the streets of drugs, even though they know that the person will go to prison and most likely return again to the streets. I know we have some great law enforcement people who devote their lives to trying to do the right thing and I have always supported them, but now I am seeing there are some that are thinking of their career progression and how great this will look for them. In my case, I am still haunted by the young female detective who could not wipe the smile from her face or the giggles from her voice as she sat at the sentencing while hearts were breaking for others. I wish I could just tell her that smiling at a sentencing is like smiling at a funeral. All that was on her mind though was how her career would be helped. How sad that we have to experience this ourselves before we begin looking at the problem.
I have prayed so hard for a different outcome. I Just try to think now that maybe God needs people like us that have come from a very law abiding family to having a family member involved. Maybe we are the ones that can get someone to listen. We all need to try. We need to learn all we can about drugs, we need to join all the organizations that are trying to change this situation, and we need to write everyone we can think of that might can make a difference. This is my opinion. I am open to any suggestions though.

DD's Girl
07-14-2009, 08:25 PM
I know exactly how you feel, the same thing happend to my man. His "friend" got in trouble and said his name and 5 others. Said my Husband sold him drugs and with no evidence he was charged with the drugs. Then he said he had a gun at the time and it was one at the house so they charged him with that too. In the end his "friend" got off and he got 10-15 on a Manadatory Min Sentence.

Dear Bow-Hunter,
My son has a similar story, except he is serving 12 years for being nice! It all started when one of his best friends calls him out of the blue and asks him to do a favor for him. My son, who is the nicest guy there is, goes visit his friend, who tells him that he wants to purchase some cocaine from this guy he knows has some for sale, but he is unable to go purchase it himself because he owes him money from a previous purchase. The "friend" tells him that he will drive him to his house and give him the money to purchase the cocaine. All he had to do was knock on the door, hand him the money, take the drugs, and bring it back to him in the vehicle. My son had never been in any trouble before and did not do drugs himself. He thought he was helping a friend out, so he agreed to do it. Everything went off OK, until one day months later he was pulled over for a burnt headlight on his car. The officer took his license, then proceeded to tell him that he had an outstanding warrant for possession of cocaine and distribution with the intent to sell schedule II narcotics. He was in shock because he knew he never did or sold any drugs in his life. He didn't even remember that "five minute favor" he did for his friend. When taken to the police station, he was told about the whole "scam" that the cops in our area do to "get the bad guys off the streets". His so-called-friend was previously arrested and the cops make deals with these guys by telling them if they give them 5 names of their friends that they would get off of their charges. The cops were in on the whole plan and wired the guy so the whole thing was on tape. I can't believe that our government works with the criminals to send innocent "friends" to jail for 12 years and lets the guilty off scott free! What kind of system are we running??

lilbit2000
07-19-2009, 10:18 PM

I am in Texas!

I agree! myv daughter got 12 yr! back in 2004 no priors and son in law 19 no priors but the roommate/owner of property got 6 yrs with many priors!!! and they say that they treat everyone fairly!!!! what is fair in the judicial system! She is in Bryan Tx. FPC (origianly from Independence, Mo.

MrsCetina
07-20-2009, 12:32 AM

I agree.

MrsCetina
07-20-2009, 12:40 AM

You are so right about this.

SeanRay4514
08-02-2009, 09:31 AM
In Georgia I had 3 Possesion charges, 2 for meth and the 3rd had 2 counts of poss. of opiates. The first got me 5 years probation, the 2nd got me 10 years probation and the 3rd got me 2 years in prison. The laws for possesion in Georgia are not that strict on possesion. sales and manufacturing are different

jasmine29
08-09-2009, 10:35 PM
It's a tricky subject. My boyfriend's locked up for exactly the question of this thread- first time felony drug offense. Do I think his offense was pretty low-grade in the grand scheme of things... yes. Do I support what he did... no. Do I miss him like crazy and just want my baby back.... EVERY DAY! But at the same time, he said he's glad this happened because it's making him want to live a straight life and never regress to this stuff. His exact quote was "I needed this." If that's going to help our future, can't argue with it!

bcvkenn
08-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Hi, Im new to this site.My son is in SC. He just went up for parole wed. And was denied. He has been in the system for 3 years now. He was sentenced to 10yrs.I believe each case should be judged seperate.True if you have money you can get out of it .He became involved with a married woman who had 3 children. She had a bad drug problem before they meet.During a 3yr. Relationship my son started making meth to keep her happy.She kept him from his family during this time so it was a real shock to us when we learned about his arrest.He had his own business, nice truck,ect...and lost it all. They both were arrested and charged with same charges.We are on disability and live on limited income so we couldnt pay for a lawyer. While they were in county she got word to him she was pregnant with twins.This sent him over the edge. He took blame for everything plead guilty thinking this would help her. He got 10yrs.after he was sentenced her family got her a lawyer and her charges were reduced to common law conspiracy. They both were charged with manufactoring meth, waste violation, 1st. Offense. She got 12 months probation and he got 10 yrs. Oh by the way she had her tubes tied 13 yrs ago. So no I dont think the way sentencing is handed down is fair.He had a public defender who didnt try to help him if anything he hurt his case by telling the judge that he had 3 children and a wife! The kids ages9 to 18 didnt even live with her due to her drug problem before my son meet her.Well shes out free and still doing drugs and has been payed out of trouble 2 more times now. Our son has 2 more yrs. Before he comes back up for parole again and the sad thing is his dad has a bad heart problem and I worry he may not get out in time to be with him. Sorry I went on and on . My nerves are so bad and I have no where to go it seems.So thank you for listening to me!

kaylaindia
08-28-2009, 09:05 AM
so sorry to hear that, keep ur head up everything will work out

hbragdoll
09-28-2009, 10:44 PM
This drug issue can range from a wide varity. I wonder how many people are dealinig with legal issues or prision due to legal drugs such as alcohol or the addictions these new drugs are creating that comes from our wonderful doctors. Its truely out of hand and so many are suffering from legal addictions and than jail or prision is the solution due to our wonderful goverment, i think its just a money game. Everyone gets profit but the one becoming addicted and the families...God have Mercy on this Society. Marajauna is the least harmful or addicting drug there is out in this world today. But they havent figured out how to make money off of it other than keeping it illegal.

hbragdoll
09-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Plus, why not use the money they spend in housing these people and put it into rehabs and councling. Trying to get into rehab if you have no ins or money is insaine. And these Doctors should start being more responsible for there actions of what there creating. Only if ur in hollywood does it ever get any attention.

eb2009
09-29-2009, 11:28 PM
Hopefully someone else will come along that can tell us where to start!
look up the national criminal justice commission act of 2009. also senator jim webb of virginia

luvmyjack
10-05-2009, 01:29 AM
The scary part of this whole drug war, is that NOTHING has changed in 10 years! I was in FPC Bryan TX til 2000 and it was crazy then.Ive kept up with the war and it has stayed the same. They hand down these harsh sentences and throw people and their lives away......literally! I can only imagine the pain that thousands of people and their families are going through each day,its depressing. I highly doubt it will ever change.:(

robbie72956
11-03-2009, 01:32 AM
I sold some of my personal pain pills That i had in my cabnet that was when dr's changed my script. Have a self surrender date of nov.30th. For a 4 yr. sentance at arkansas RCF. 1st time with no other charges. I'm on disability with many bad health issues.But this is going to cause my family to lose everything for my disability check pay's most of the bill's.
This is going to punish my wife and kids and just is not right. as for the poll they are other way's to punish us rather then put us in prison.

joshdudley
11-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Putting aside the fact I'm opposed to prohibitions on people putting stuff into their body if they so choose I'd say I'm opposed to imprisonment of dealers and users.

Certainly putting users in jail for just using the drug (if they steal from people or are otherwise engaged in criminal activity they should be getting long, long sentences) is farcical and putting someone in jail for taking advantage of an ecomomic opportunity such as the one drug dealing has come to be in a society which prohibits its use is just plain stupid.

Every dealer you lock up will just be replaced by another dealer.

joshdudley
11-03-2009, 03:57 PM
I sold some of my personal pain pills That i had in my cabnet that was when dr's changed my script. Have a self surrender date of nov.30th. For a 4 yr. sentance at arkansas RCF. 1st time with no other charges. I'm on disability with many bad health issues.But this is going to cause my family to lose everything for my disability check pay's most of the bill's.
This is going to punish my wife and kids and just is not right. as for the poll they are other way's to punish us rather then put us in prison.

I empathise, if those pills were purchased by you from your own money you should be free to sell them. If you're selling pills paid for by the taxpayer I think you should go to prison but not for selling the pills, for fraud.

The drug war is a distraction, here, in the UK, an academic who recently opposed the government's decision to upgrade cannabis from being a Class C (equivalent of Schedule V in the US) to being a Class B (equivalent of Schedule II) lost his job.

TexasAngel25
11-18-2009, 12:45 PM
I believe that people make the wrong choices that at the time may seem like the right ones. I dont think it is right to judge them for that. Our economy has gotten so bad that people are doing whatever they can to make ends meet. Im not saying thats the right way but they think it is at the time. What about those people who keep doing it for the fun of it just for the thrill. How come they get chance after chance. They will never learn but then you have those who know they messed up and want to change locked up for ten-twenty years. thats not right.

hbragdoll
11-19-2009, 01:04 PM
If addicts got the proper help or at least a chance to overcome there addiction, than the Jails and Courts would be empty. Set them up to fail.

22 year old in Drug Court, revoked bond missed two drug test, and was admitted to ICU on her court date due to trying to overdose on tynol pms, im not sure which is the worst. Finding her dead, or in prision, she didnt harm anyone other than being a threat to herself, she didnt rob or hold up a store or bank, she didnt molest, rape or murder. She is in jail for being an addict, and gentic mental illness. Would getting her into a dual rehab help her. Should Drug Courts put more into Intervention than using bars as the answer. It hurts, you question yourself as a parent, could I have done more. She wanted to stay clean, when she was up she glowed, when she is down, its a cruel world to battle life or death. What do you do?

MOTHER OF HIM
11-24-2009, 06:20 AM
hbragdoll your so right ! get help for addicts this is a sick ness....but little to no help for addicts. just lock them up in prison if we would fix the problem or even care of this sick-ness... it would save the prisons millions a week save our youth, give them hope and maybe a life they need help, support and love... but no we just lock them in a prison some for many yrs no rehab no hope in a loney prison.. and this is what will help our love ones ? we take mothers, fathers, kids away from a family who loves them. o this all makes me so sick with hurt "
A VERY LOST AND HURT MOM, WHO HAS LOST HER SON FOR MANY YRS TO A SICKNESS
GOD BLESS

MOTHER OF HIM
11-24-2009, 06:40 AM
you are so right about this.

your so right on this the DA is the one who has the power and it's the DA's job to put you in prison. The judge only hands down the time... With very little power in his court room...

angelbaby72
11-28-2009, 07:28 PM
I totally think that somebody who is in trouble for drugs should bew able to get probation,house arrest,fines,drug court and such instead of automatically being thrown in prison.My dad got busted on 2 controlled buys,totallying 4.12 grams of crack,and he was given 27 months.This on top of being 62 years old,having terminal illnesses,copd and emphyzema which is in end stage.I could see if somebody was trafficing hundreds of ounces or pounds,or was a repeat offender,but not somebody who hasn't been in much trouble.

robbie72956
12-22-2009, 07:52 PM
i am the wife of a man who never was in trouble his whole life and he sold some pills and is now doing time at texerkana ark for his first offense which should have never happen and on top of that when he gets out he will have twenty years probation on a first offense tell me the justice system works

Onaicult
12-24-2009, 07:56 PM
my man has a year sentence first time offense for POSS of less than a gram of a controlled substance. They just ruined his life w/ a felony, and while he's been in, that county finally got w/ the program and made it a misdemeanor, but do they care about the people currently in jail? no. BS!!

gg12
02-07-2010, 12:01 PM
i definitly have to agree with the filing for a petition against putting people in prison for !st time drug charges. I am a victim of my loved one being incarcerated for 1st time charges and they gave him 4 yrs. that for someone who never even did jail time before its just not right thats my personal opinion

cyclegrrrl
02-13-2010, 08:20 PM
The drug sentences are out of control. It's a situation set up where those who are heavily involved and thus are to assist the govt in catching others get lighter sentences than those who were just transporting money to deal. In my case, the least involved - even those with a first offense - got harder sentences than the repeat offender drug king pins because they didn't have valuable information to give to the govt. It's a very f-d up system, where the least dangerous and dirty can and do serve much more harsh sentences than the masterminds.

Laxx
03-08-2010, 01:09 AM
I have to serve a 2 year sentence suspended after 6 months in June for "possession" of less than 4 oz. of weed. First time offense, kinda sucks if you ask me. They threw a lot of felonies at me and misdemeanors, ended up coping a plea and receiving 2 misdemeanors. This was in CT, if I was in New York it would have been an infraction, maybe a misdemeanor but no jail time.

switt52002
05-22-2010, 11:45 PM
i have to say that first time drug offenders should be given probation.I am faceing 5 to 6 years for my first time ever doin any thing wrong.i dont have a record either but they plan on settin an example with me and my husband.he is lookin at 10 years.

John'sBaby
05-23-2010, 04:04 PM
My husband is serving a 9 yr sentence at 80%. This is not the first time he has gotten in trouble but I agree that he needs rehab. I tried to push for it but his attorney said that the judge and da would not go for it. So we took the deal, he is doing great. 200 pounds, tons of muscle from exercise. He is looking at this in a positive light.

John'sBaby
06-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Well we are now looking into getting him into rehab. The salvation army said they would approach the courts with his acceptance once he is accepted and see if they will go for it. He has already been sentenced in one county and is awaiting sentencing in the other county but all we can do is try for this and pray that God does what is his will in our lives.

misscecilia
06-25-2010, 05:40 PM
I voted no. Only the dealers should be in prison, in my opinion. Addiction is a sickness, not a crime.

I also think it's none of the government's business what a person chooses to do to their body. Smoke marijuana every day, shoot up heroin, smoke crack--how are any of those worse than smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol? It all screws up your body and mind.

jberraenmdyy
06-26-2010, 06:20 PM
My man is in jail on a drug charge. Its a delivery charge- $20- pills. The judge sentenced him to 1-5 and hes done 46 days so we still have the reconsideration that he could get out on but Im not holding my breath. Hes never been in trouble- never even had a speeding ticket so I think to throw him in jail over that is awfully harsh. In my town, there was a drug bust and 60 some people were arrested for drugs. On the day he was sentenced, there were 9 people there on drug related charges- 7 went to jail and 2 got home confinement. Drugs are obviously a problem but I dont throwing the people in jail is really solving the problem. They should be sent to rehab to get help for their problem.

John'sBaby
07-02-2010, 11:00 PM
I voted no. Only the dealers should be in prison, in my opinion. Addiction is a sickness, not a crime.

I also think it's none of the government's business what a person chooses to do to their body. Smoke marijuana every day, shoot up heroin, smoke crack--how are any of those worse than smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol? It all screws up your body and mind.

what about the ones that sell them to support their habit? Should they go to prison too? You have to realize that you never know what you would be willing to do until you have been in that situation.

worriednnc
08-10-2010, 09:03 PM
My husband was sentenced to mandatory 70-84 months on his first offense in NC. They treat pain pills the same as heroin here which is just flat out ridiculous considering they go by weight and most of a pain pill is Tylenol. He has absolutely no chance as it stands now of getting out any earlier than his minimum of 70 months. It is CRAZY!

Berae
09-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Look, I have sympathy for people who have had "the book" thrown at them. But seriously, I don't care how trite or unfair the laws in your state are, those are the laws on the books and this ridiculous war on drugs have caused millions of people to suffer because they think it wont happen to them. If you are going to risk breaking the law you need to be aware of the possible repercussions, period. If your state has draconian drug laws, maybe you should consider either moving or here's a thought... don't break those laws. But you cannot in hindsight bitch and complain when you get caught, It makes you sound ignorant.

09-17-2010, 10:18 PM
YOU TAKE A THUG AND GIVE HIM A BADGE AND A GUN AND YOU HAVE YOUR AVERAGE COP

Look, this war on drugs is the full destruction of humanity. I will never slave down and lick their boot and adjust my life to these pricks. I am a nonviolent drug offender, one that never touched heroin or crack or meth, and feel I have gotten so much out of my use of psychedelics that it is just that important to me. I am a martyr for the cause. And I am being sent to a med/max federal on my first ever felony for to me was absolutely mostly personal use. Pretty much any drug can be used therapeutically, for the right purposes. Hell, there weren't even labeled drug addicts until the DEA came in and started labeling everybody as it. Now, the "drug addict" is the boogie monster. It is the law that is fucking everybody up. The law created the dodgy drug market, money laundering, racketeering, and death.

LOOK, YOU ALL NEED TO STOP BEING PUSSIES AND SPREAD THE WORD. I DO IT FAITHFULLY. I LIVE BY IT. Nothing is ever going to change if you allow the law to run your life, or run your human race to hell. We as humans should be free, free to choice, free to thought. The white man came in and ruined everything. I mean, this ties into everything. I hold things precious to me, and my experiences through life have done so much for me I would never take them back (experiences of psychedelics). My music is directly influenced, and so is my personality. I am here to tell you these people are all a fucking joke. If these people DID NOT like sentencing people to death, then they wouldn't do it. If they say otherwise, they are absolute fucking liars. I know it. Its a two sided thing. They as much despise the people coming to court, as much as I despise the people running the court. They say its their job, they say this and that, they are so full of fucking shit. I am not saying it on this ONE occasion, I am saying it through every occasion. Others too. And I do not mind sharing my experiences if you want to try and challenge me.

IT IS NOT JUST THE DRUG LAWS, WE ARE IN TOTAL ENSLAVEMENT. Until humans learn everybody is equal and everybody starts working together, we are all doomed to stay enslaved. We are all doomed to be judge or be judged. I do not need anybody in my life JUDGING me, I am absolutely happy with myself, everybody else is happy with me too EXCEPT the court. As long as all you people want to suck the laws dick, there will be people like me who were advanced in school, who are told they are the best guitarist theyve ever seen live, people like me will all DIE from the law. I DO NOT FEEL BAD ABOUT ANYTHING IVE DONE, I NEVER WILL. THE COURT IS THE ONE WHO SHOULD FEEL BAD ABOUT IT. ITS NO WONDER WHY PEOPLE FLIP AND GO OVERBOARD. THE LAW CREATED IT. THIS IS NOT MY OPINION, EVERYBODY I KNOW YOUNG OR OLD SEES THIS.

everybody needs to learn equality of human life, and how there is absolutely no such thing as a gateway drug. The courts and the law and the media have influenced you in ways that can be undone, but most likely nobody will look into it or have any feel or belief of anything because they are comfortable with themselves and are not the person in the situation. All they can say with their snobbie little smear is say "well then obey the law!". If the law is unjust, spreading that kind of word does nothing but help their situation.

gj07
09-20-2010, 12:46 AM
I hope everyone that is unhappy about these drug laws will write or call their senators and ask that they be a co-sponsor on S714 that is in the Senate right now. This is a bill to review the complete justice system and decide what changes need to be made. National Call in day was last week, but still make the call if you haven't yet. Yes, some people are seeing that changes need to be made and this is a start in the right direction. There is more information about this under Legislation and Laws on this Prison Talk Online board. This has passed the House and only needs to pass the Senate, but need a few more senators to get on board. People don't let this bill die--let your senators know how you feel.

Allama
09-29-2010, 09:05 AM
I think blind adherence to the laws is ignorant.
How many laws have been changed because people were brave enough to stand up and say enough? Cruel, unjust, and just plain silly laws that do more harm than good.
Drug laws as they stand now fall into that category.
I don't think most people are using/selling drugs because they 'think it (getting caught) won't happen to them'. Some people are selling because they don't have any other options, and some people are using because they can't stop. It's not all about trying to get one over on the police.
I think it's absolutely ridiculous that the government can dictate what chemicals I put in my body. It's no ones business. No one should be allowed to be punished for drug use. Not prison, not jail, and not even mandated rehabilitation, if there is no crime other than the drug use itself.
The war on drug creates more problems than it solves. Nothing is being solved by throwing these people in jail. Nothing. Right now it's a lucrative business the same way alcohol was during prohibition. You don't see people shooting each other over beer any more do they? Because it's not restricted and those that want to drink can go get it when they want to.
Drug's are a victimless crime until the justice system gets involved. I hate that whole stupid argument about how drug addicts ruin their families life, so they are the victims. So do adulterers, and liars, and people that are just assholes. My step mom has ruined our family but she didn't need a substance to do it. Should she be arrested for creating discord in the family? No! and neither should a drug addict. Help should offered by the family and the government should not be involved in that.

missy10
12-12-2010, 07:35 AM
I think the whole school zone thing is ridiculous anyway. If someone is soliciting drugs to children then yes, they should get a harsher punishment. And I am not saying that I believe in drugs in any way; however, the school zone thing is STUPID. Just because someone is in a school zone does not mean that they are dealing drugs to kids. The school zones are so large that in some counties pretty much the whole city is a school zone.

You also have people that get caught with drugs in THEIR OWN HOUSE that aren't even selling these drugs, be it marijuana or whatever that live across the street from a school or down the street from a school.

I don't think that first-time offenders should go to prison. Not at all. The government should be getting HELP for these people. Not locking them up in prison away from their families. The only people that actually are being punished by this is the offender's families. I think that if you commit a NONAGGRIVATED or VIOLENT crime, such as dealing drugs or doing drugs that instead of throwing you in prison for a HUGE amount of time that you should be given probation. Give the person a chance to realize on their own that what they have done is wrong. Give the person the chance to see how much trouble they could have actually gotten into. Tell them that this time you are given probation, next time you are given 10 years in prison, and I bet you 80% of the people do not get involved in this kind of trouble again. And that is 80% less space taken up in the prisons by drug offenders. And that is 80% more people that can support their families. That is 80% less families on welfare. The prisons are overcrowded as it is. The government is spending God knows how much money on feeding and housing these prisoners, when they could be given a chance to do right, but instead are being thrown in prison, taken away from their families, and leaving a HUGE mess of bills for women and children. It's just not right.

That's my opinion on it. But of course, the beauty of America is that we have freedom of speech.

That is so true, they should be helping the first time offenders! Help them rehabilitate with a real job so they dont do things they normally wouldnt do to get by! My man is a first time offender period.. no prior charges whatsoever, caught dealing crack/cocaine.... less than 8 grams ... He just got 16 years. Its so stupid... They take away the breadwinner and leaves his family to depend on the welfare system. They could just as easily have helped the man become more goal oriented....

sirhada
02-07-2011, 01:50 PM
My husband was sentenced to mandatory 70-84 months on his first offense in NC. They treat pain pills the same as heroin here which is just flat out ridiculous considering they go by weight and most of a pain pill is Tylenol. He has absolutely no chance as it stands now of getting out any earlier than his minimum of 70 months. It is CRAZY!
My son was set up for similar offense.The prosecutor said she didn't care how well he was doing in treatment, its time for punishment. We now have a justice industry, this is how they make money. I'm willing to bet he will have a fine that will be impossible for a unemployable convicted felon to pay, so they will get to lock him back up every so often just to keep him in the system.

bumblebee37
02-07-2011, 02:30 PM
My son was sentenced to 15 years + so many months so many years ago that I hate counting anymore. He had been in trouble as a juvenile but nothing that other kids hadn't done. You know what got my son so many years for those drug charges? It was election year and he was made an example of to pump up the votes.
I would never compare someone else crime to him but do you know what people receive these days for what he did? At the most 5 years and parole- I even saw not long ago where someone got supervised probation.
Geez, my blood pressure is pumping and I set broke again from trying to fight the court systems. :mad:
bb

sirhada
02-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Man,I thought I was reading my story. The man that was sheriff here for 20yrs is a friend of mine. He was the first one I contacted when I found out what happened,his first words were"oh God, its an election year up there". My son said the news people jumped out when the police did. The funniest thing is that they really don't want to stop drugs, otherwise they wouldn't have left my son out selling drugs for 4 months while they " built a case". How many kids took their 1st pill and started down the same road he's on? Do they follow drunks around til they commit vehicular homicide? They were the only ones buying enough to put him in that category.

MIMER
02-10-2011, 12:38 AM
I sold 2 oz of POT in pennsylvaina and was given 18-60 months in a max state prison.... 2 oz = $300 worth of pot ....1st offence ever in my life ...so do i thing there needs to be a change the answer is hells YES...
but where do we start ?????

Pot should be legal. That is stupid. I am sorry. The system likes to make money of off people and hurt families for stupid things like pot. MJ almost became legal in CA this year. We barely lost the vote. Oh and by the way, I have never even smoked a cigarette in my life. I just think that small violations that lead to state prison are stupid. If you were a movie star or celebrity, you wouldn't have gone to prison. You would have had millions of dollars of defense money to hire Cochran style attorneys.

Clumsy<3<3<3
03-25-2011, 11:17 AM
i vote no i don't think they should b thrown to prison if is there first attempt i think they should just get probation..

FLYBYNIGHT
04-05-2011, 11:23 AM
I agree, my husband has a clean record, not even a traffic ticket. He was set up dropping off 2 oz of cocaine and was sentenced to 3 years mand. but luckly he only has to serve 85% of his time so he should be home in 2008. I think they should do probation or house arrest or maybe a few months in county jail and then probation but for first time offenders to send them off to state prison for 2 or more years is crazy. I looked all over the place to see if I could get it reduced but wasn't very successful. Florida prision sucks! good god whats wrong with the system Cocaine ruins peoples lives in a bad way for some retarded reason the Gov sees Marijuana as the most dangerous drug, Hmmm food for thought the human body hangs on to THC for up to 30 days the Body gets rid of cocaine in 7 days at most so with that in mind which drug do you think is more toxic.there is enough documented research on POT to make it legal to prescribe in 14 states even our president of the USA knows that the federal laws on marijuana need to be revised its unfortunate that he was set up indeed never the less the is a serious in justice in the current system 2oz of coke 3years min 100 lbs of pot 5 years min 100lbs sounds like alot however it is a seed bearing plant with medicinal purposes. If you think I am wrong please research for your self

God help us all

firsttimer2011
04-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Well I'm a first time offender who was doing a friend a favor and got caught up in the middle of a drug bust my good friend turned me over because he was a four time looser, he got 12 months in the county and I got handed a sentence of 70 to 87 months in federal prison, what kind of justice is that? what makes him better than me? and I didn't mention the fact he was on parole for a drug charge at the time this happened. Wheres the justice? There is none its just us against them...

MrsCetina
09-24-2011, 12:04 AM
I would use caution with considering everyone who possesses drugs "addicts". First of all, as NA/AA proclaims, an addict "has found that their lives have become unmanageable", and those that this refers to have indeed lost control of themselves, and are more likely than not, the ones who are robbing, thieving and pilaging for their addictions---these people need rather firm assistance.

However, there is another class of "users". According to the Bureau of Justice statistics. 70%, that's seventy percent, of drug users were employed full time prior to their convictions for possession. That means to me, that 70% of drug those drug "possessers" were managing to pay taxes, support themselves and avoided stealing everything that wasn't nailed down to supply their drugs. Does that fit the idea of what "addiction" is? NO.

While I fully agree that anyone who can't control themselves and their "drug of choice" should stay away from all drugs, I feel there should be way more lieniency for working people, not engaged in criminal activities, who choose to include some drug in their private activities.

The law, however, does not differentiate between the two, but it could be imagined that the reason these people end up in court more often is simply that they have an ability to PAY fines, fees and other costs, and they are not hiding in the shadows looking for something to steal---they are at work, paying taxes, and adding to their 401K.

As long as we allow our government to lump people together based on their illegal actions, rather than their character and contributions to society or whether or not they adversely affected anyone else, we will see harmless people persecuted right along with the rest...but AA/NA considers these folks "functioning addicts", which defies their own definition of "addict". Think about that. They had to come up with a new terminology to justify including these people in their program.

and yes, there are some people (functioning addicts?) who have not abandoned common sense and self-control, despite what the spin-junkies claim.

I've always believed that people are responsible for their own actions, and that by blaming drugs for our choices rather than owning our mistakes, we are placing blame where it doesn't belong and creating a "teflon society" where accountability never sticks (at least in our own minds)...and then allowing the courts to decide everyone's fate.

We need to take back and maintain control over our own lives. Then there would be no such thing as "addiction" as commonly defined.

I agree with you

MrsCetina
09-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Whether it's the commies, gays, felons, republicans, homeless people or the tweaks, society must have a demon to take their anger out on.

Every page in the history book of society has a "bad guy" and his victims on it. Our villain makes us feel better about ourselves, because we see ourselves a "better than" somebody, at least. The misadventures that make up the lives of our demons shed some sunshine on our own, uneventful existences, and satisfies our need to hate something or somebody.

A lot of folks will argue with this idea, and it may very well be true that some people do not need to look down on others to feel important themselves. These people are the saints among us, and they are few and far between. But on some level, everyone sets themselves apart from the current demon. This is called "morality". More simply put, the group who thinks that their way of thinking is proper, while those who tend to deviate from what the moral majority thinks is appropriate become the "anti-social" group.

(those who go against our societal correctness"

The masses of people who do need to hate, do so in sufficient quantities that the rest of us can focus our attentions elsewhere, perhaps on something important like freedom or justice.

Speaking of 'justice', we all know that felons, people who have been convicted of a felony offense, have forever been an easy target. They are the unwanted ones, the ones who have violated each and every one of us, even though our lives have never truly touched each other. So why must we do everything in out power to make their existence as miserable as possible? No. We are only protecting us from them, them who seek to disrupt our dreamy little vision of ourselves and our pro-social correctness.

Again, we need to look at ourselves. Our perceptions of ourselves, as the "pro-social" group, the proper, righteous group would be in serious conflict with reality if we had to admit that felons are people just like us---Just like US? we can't allow that, our fragile egos would be crushed....

If this all sounds quite ridiculous to you, then welcome to reality! Since I believe that diversity is not a crime, I'll concede that this can be either my reality, or yours---whichever you prefer.

At any rate, the point I make here is that hate takes all forms, even those masked cloaked in saint-hood and positive thinking patterns. Hate breeds within the idea of one who thinks they are 'right', at the expense of any other point of view.

There can be no equality in elitism, no compassion in selfishness, and no forgiveness in hatred.

To cast out our demons, we must cast out our perceptions of who we think we are, and replace them with who we want to be.

Great post.thank you

AlwaysHisBonnie
09-27-2011, 12:24 PM
My husband is currently in jail awaiting trial for his first time drug charges. He has a lonng criminal history, but almost all got dismissed or dropped. Has only one felony b/e charge and some worthless checks charges convictions. Hoping the judge takes it easy on him...but i heard he was REALLY strict :(

Mrs. Blessed 11
09-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Sorry to hear that but my baby was just sentenced the other day same thing it all depends on the drug and the weight.... And if he had any priors they look at those to as you not learning his lesson...

TUTR15T35A
10-01-2011, 04:17 AM
my husband just got charged with class x over 5000 grams of marijuana. I did hire a lawyer. I am hoping for the best am not sure what the police report says yet but what is the usual sentence if convicted. am not talking about the 6-30 am saying what they actually offer you. he only has one other felony in his record one gram of cocaine.... am scared that they will give him a long time. we have only been married 2 years. any information will help.

will_be_waiting
10-31-2011, 05:06 PM
my husband just got charged with class x over 5000 grams of marijuana. I did hire a lawyer. I am hoping for the best am not sure what the police report says yet but what is the usual sentence if convicted. am not talking about the 6-30 am saying what they actually offer you. he only has one other felony in his record one gram of cocaine.... am scared that they will give him a long time. we have only been married 2 years. any information will help.

Welcome to PTO TUTR15T35A :wave:. Sorry to hear that you are having to go thru this but you have found the right place for help and support :grouphug:. Im not an attorney and I wont sugar coat anything for ya but a class x offense in IL well, falls pretty short of first degree murder and yes, does carry the mandatory of 6-30. Its good that you have hired an attorney as that is the best source of help/advice at this time.

I do know that if he goes to trial and loses, its hands down 6-30. Its hard to negotiate any sentence reductions with prosecutors on a class x and if they do offer a sentence reduction to say a class 1 felony then he could look at 4-15 oppose to the 6-30.
You mentioned he has a prev charge so that may hurt his chances. Again, im not an attorney and this is not any legal advice, its just what i am familiar with. Def talk with your attorney as he will be the only one to tell you how many years of the 6-30 your husband would be facing since an attorney would know all facts of the case.

I wish you the best of luck and your husband the least of sentecing! Stay strong :)

Mrs. Layne
12-06-2011, 02:02 PM

I am in Texas!
I am in North Carolina and my husband is locked up in Georgia for a non-violent Drug crime, He is a first time offender but they gave him four years. I agree with this petition. Your better of murdering someone and getting a lesser sentence. What is goin on with todays justice system .

freshtbaby
12-08-2011, 06:35 AM
My bf case is similar, non-violent drug charges. Had previous drug charges that were dismissed. He was sentenced 3-10. Hoping he will only have to do 4-5 more months, this is the longest time hes had to do.

mg113
12-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Ky made some changes in the laws here this year ..............and they changed some of the felony charges to misdeamenors and will just give citations to non violent misdeamenor offenses
http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/New-law-means-no-jail-time-before-trial-for-some-suspects-123423539.html

JasonJames
12-15-2011, 04:08 PM
As a first time drug offender and first time felon, it was a HORRIBLE idea to send me to prison. Why would they want to send me to a drug/crime education school like that?

A few months in jail was definitely enough.

guachita2
12-15-2011, 04:33 PM
My bf got charged with heroin. They found it while he was crossing the Mexican border. I wonder if it helps that its his first time?

lindaland13
01-10-2012, 01:58 PM
My son is 24. When he was 22 his best friend came into our home and asked him for some hydrocodone that I had a prescription for. My son gave him some and the "best friend" was wired. My son was picked up a couple of months later in a drug run on Trafficking charges. In Florida they go by the weight. The hydrocodone was the lowest dose and it was the largest pill. He was not a user, he was not a seller, he is definitely not a trafficker. He had a public defender. Actually it took 2 years for him to be sentenced and he went through 2 state attorneys (the first one was fired), 2 public defenders (the first one quit) and 2 judges (the first one retired). He was sentenced by the 2nd judge who had been in office for 1 month and was sentenced to 7 years. His first offense. We still do not know the logic behind any of this. There is a change in the drug laws here which is trying to get through, but of course, we have no clue as to how long it will take, but if it gets through there are a lot of people who will have a chance to get out of prison. My son will now be known as a trafficker. If they are going to arrest people on trafficking this way - they should be in an age-restricted community. At the end of the month there is more drug (prescription pills) trading going on than in the town. Everyone is put into one category no matter what the circumstances are and no matter what type of pills. As some of you have said, this is a big business. The bail bondsmen get their cut, the city gets their cut, the state gets their cut. I'm not even going to start about the attorneys. Then the amount of money spent on phone calls, canteens, some extra clothes, etc., etc. In the meantime, families are destroyed, lives are destroyed. It has to change!!

lindaland13
01-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Look, I have sympathy for people who have had "the book" thrown at them. But seriously, I don't care how trite or unfair the laws in your state are, those are the laws on the books and this ridiculous war on drugs have caused millions of people to suffer because they think it wont happen to them. If you are going to risk breaking the law you need to be aware of the possible repercussions, period. If your state has draconian drug laws, maybe you should consider either moving or here's a thought... don't break those laws. But you cannot in hindsight bitch and complain when you get caught, It makes you sound ignorant.

Unfortunately, a lot of us are "ignorant". If we have never been in trouble before or had anything to do with felony charges, and we have always trusted the judicial system, how do we know what to do? How many people look up the law before they do something? The laws are not the same in every state. How do we know that? If we are not a dealer, or a trafficker, or a user, how are we suppose to know that giving a friend some medicine we have that works for a legitimate condition they have, will put us in prison (for a long time)? Why is giving someone a pill that has more non-drug medicine than prescription drug in it the same as someone selling 100x that amount of the prescription drug, receiving a lesser charge because the pill is smaller and doesn't weigh as much? So now they are back on the street and have learned the weight differential. Why is the person giving some medicine to one friend considered a trafficker while someone on the street daily is only considered a seller and gets less time? Unfortunately, for a lot, the ignorance only goes away after the damage has been done.

BadGrlGoneGood
01-11-2012, 08:46 AM
I believe we need to decriminalize drugs in general. I don't think first timers should get jail or prison time and I don't believe in probation either. Probation is a setup to go to prison. We need to take a look at other countries with lower drug abuse rates and lower crime rates and see what it is that they are doing that we are not. Locking people away does not solve the "problem," on either end - drugs will continue to be sold and abused regardless as to whether or not the individual seller or user is in jail, and the individual in jail will not benefit or rehabilitate by going to jail. It's a lose-lose situation. I don't think people should blindly obey the law either just because it's on the books.

skyline_pigeon
01-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Gotta love the mandatory sentencing. Not.

Someone with no criminal history...and I mean none, not so much as a speeding ticket...(and they are in their 40's), a job with the federal government where they a) had to be drug free to get the job and b) had to remain drug free to keep the job, property owner, small business owner, growing some marijuana on their own private fenced property (no fewer than 4 fences had to be crossed to get to it...all posted no trespassing) is sentenced to the 5-year mitigated minimum sentence.

So now this person who was actually a productive member of society, who contributed quite a bit in the way of taxes and was a consumer helping out other businesses is gone. As a result of an illegal tresspass by an off duty border patrol agent...but who cares, the person was evil because they grew some pot.

Any guesses what this person is learning in prison?

nicksjellybean
01-17-2012, 07:42 PM
I agree about the great injustice of the "justice system"... How can a judge and jury (in my husbands case) put him behind bars for 12 YEARS for supposed CONSPIRACY to traffic marijuana??? Go figure. Nothing on him, not a thing, and thats what he got. First time being caught with mar. on you I believe gets you 5 years... yet you can throw someone away for 12 on conspiracy. What is going on????

loulabell
01-18-2012, 10:46 AM
So I have been reading through the posts on this thread and have come to this conclusion. (let me just ad before I begin that my husband was sentenced to 5 years on a cultivation charge for what they said was 10 marajuana plants. I myself do not use it and never will and after this do not want it anywhere around me.) That being said, I think that the ignorance here is in the law itself not so much the individuals that are breaking the so called law. The punishment for a first time drug offence is rediculus if you ask me. How many of these first time offenders do you think really new exactly what they were doing? Think about it if they did they would not of got caught however now that the state has put them in jail they are prevy to all the secrets and know how of how to do it better the next go round. Grantit some may get out and never do it again, some will. Some are using these drugs to self medicate for an underlined medical condition and instead of prison what they really need is some kind of rehabilitation that will work one on one with them to find out what makes them want to use drugs and fix the problem. It is not that they are bad people. Come on, how many of you use your cell phone while driving even though that may be against the law in your state. You still do it knowing you could get caught and get introuble. The laws on first time drug offences need to change. We are paying good money for first time offenders to be in prison when we don't have to. There are other much better options for this. Why do we put them in a cell and leave them to thier vices? That is not helping anything. The prisons are overcrowed enough as it is and we are the ones paying to house them there. Come on people who are the real ignorant ones here? I don't know about yall but I think this is all just crazy expecially after reading some of yalls posts and the circumstances in which some of these individuals are spending years in prison for. Something has got to change.

xlabel
02-04-2012, 02:59 PM
My son is 24. When he was 22 his best friend came into our home and asked him for some hydrocodone that I had a prescription for. My son gave him some and the "best friend" was wired. My son was picked up a couple of months later in a drug run on Trafficking charges. In Florida they go by the weight. The hydrocodone was the lowest dose and it was the largest pill. He was not a user, he was not a seller, he is definitely not a trafficker. He had a public defender. Actually it took 2 years for him to be sentenced and he went through 2 state attorneys (the first one was fired), 2 public defenders (the first one quit) and 2 judges (the first one retired). He was sentenced by the 2nd judge who had been in office for 1 month and was sentenced to 7 years. His first offense. We still do not know the logic behind any of this. There is a change in the drug laws here which is trying to get through, but of course, we have no clue as to how long it will take, but if it gets through there are a lot of people who will have a chance to get out of prison. My son will now be known as a trafficker. If they are going to arrest people on trafficking this way - they should be in an age-restricted community. At the end of the month there is more drug (prescription pills) trading going on than in the town. Everyone is put into one category no matter what the circumstances are and no matter what type of pills. As some of you have said, this is a big business. The bail bondsmen get their cut, the city gets their cut, the state gets their cut. I'm not even going to start about the attorneys. Then the amount of money spent on phone calls, canteens, some extra clothes, etc., etc. In the meantime, families are destroyed, lives are destroyed. It has to change!!

You are so right, that right there ought to strike FL's crazy drug laws unconstitutional. If they ever set up informants and sent them to the senior citizen parks they's be dragging them out by the truckload. Thing is they don't want old people in prison cause their medical care is so expensive.

They've already shut down 6 or 7 FL prisons because of the budget and FL constituionally must have a balanced budget. There are some cases in the higher courts that are trying to undo FL's draconian pill laws, hopefully they'll help your son. Good luck.

mamarocks
02-06-2012, 02:18 AM
Its all a money making game and believe me the more people that they can lock up and make felons are more people that lose their right to vote, to be able to tell the truth on a job app....The rich people like Lindsey Lohan and Charlie Sheen never see time, and they've been getting high for years in front of his kids!! He is WINNING!
Locking someone up does not solve the problem...and believe me I know...Mike Huckabee was the only one that tried to do anything about getting people rehab and he's the only one that stood up for people. He was the best Govenor that Ark ever had. Start a petition to the white house and have people sign a letter that we are sick of them ruining lives over a lil dope....rapist get off with less time than a person caught with dope...and molesters can never be rehabilitated and they know that and they still let them walk the streets with their balls intact...Its a crazy world!

xlabel
02-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Crime is actually dropping nationwide lately, but drugs are around and plentiful as ever. They can't use that line anymore, Drugs = Crime. Now they're on a crusade to save lives, 7 people a day die from pill overdose in FL they claim. They're gonna throw the book at you in the name of saving your life and put you in jail we're you can be stabbed and killed over a pair of sneakers or a bag of chips, makes a lot of sense doesn't it?

ReinaDeCarlos
02-07-2012, 10:52 AM
My man hasn't been sentenced yet but he got caught with a ton of shit. We have a 5 year old and a 5 month old. It's his first ever offence too. We're not rich so we can't pay a judge off but man oh man he's facing time. Serious serious time. Damn.

unsneakycindy
02-16-2012, 07:01 PM

I am in Texas!

This was MY SON'S FIRST OFFENSE, FIRST TIME ARRESTED, FIRST TIME IN JAIL AND FIRST TIME IN PRISON!!! NO CRIMINAL RECORD... My son died of a heroin overdose in prison after serving only 1 yr and 3 months of his 13 yr sentence! He had robbed some pharmacies for Oxycontin and Zanax!!! Not for money, but to feed his sick addiction! No one was physically touched by him.

I had always heard that a drug addicts either die or go to prison... I HAD NEVER HEARD.... And your loved one could die of an overdose of ILLEGAL DRUGS IN PRISON!!! The worst place to put a sick drug addicts, is in prisons where there are Illegal Drugs available! Where is the Zero Tolerance??? So how many inmates die from illegal drug overdoses in prison???

The Arizona DOC accepts no responsibility for my son's death! And they blame only the visitors for bringing these illegal drugs into the prison, but we know that is NOT the only way they get in!!! Their attitude is that my son's precious life was only considered as collateral damage!??? His fault!? Really??? No one really cares about 'inmates'!

My son's death WAS PREVENTABLE had there been some alternate program available to help him and other sick drug addicts! Now his 4 yr old son can't understand where his daddy is and why he can't even visit his daddy anymore!!! His wife of over 10 yrs is now a widow! We are all BROKEN!!! His dad cries everyday, my 2 sons miss their brother... and I have no more joy left in me!

The laws must be changed!!! Although my beloved son is dead, I want to help change the laws, as no parent should ever have to bury their child, adult or not!!! This was a life changing horror for us. I gave the DOC my son alive and paying his debt to society and they gave me back his body! This is so morally wrong!!! :angry:

Where is the Zero Tolorance against Illegal Drugs getting into our prisons? Do they have an active drug testing program for the hired staff (civilian and officers)? I never hear of visitors being arrested... and if that was the only way these illegal drugs get in (like the DOC says) you NEVER hear anything about their arrests.

I don't know where to start in changing any laws, but I am willing to do what I can to help other sons, daughters, dads, mothers, brothers and sisters!

If I can help you in ANYWAY... please contact me!!! I am in Arizona.

**AZ Prisons are not Safe for Drug Addicts!**
**STOP Illegal Drugs in Prison!**

Andreah
02-20-2012, 10:38 PM
This was MY SON'S FIRST OFFENSE, FIRST TIME ARRESTED, FIRST TIME IN JAIL AND FIRST TIME IN PRISON!!! NO CRIMINAL RECORD... My son died of a heroin overdose in prison after serving only 1 yr and 3 months of his 13 yr sentence! He had robbed some pharmacies for Oxycontin and Zanax!!! Not for money, but to feed his sick addiction! No one was physically touched by him.

I had always heard that a drug addicts either die or go to prison... I HAD NEVER HEARD.... And your loved one could die of an overdose of ILLEGAL DRUGS IN PRISON!!! The worst place to put a sick drug addicts, is in prisons where there are Illegal Drugs available! Where is the Zero Tolerance??? So how many inmates die from illegal drug overdoses in prison???

The Arizona DOC accepts no responsibility for my son's death! And they blame only the visitors for bringing these illegal drugs into the prison, but we know that is NOT the only way they get in!!! Their attitude is that my son's precious life was only considered as collateral damage!??? His fault!? Really??? No one really cares about 'inmates'!

My son's death WAS PREVENTABLE had there been some alternate program available to help him and other sick drug addicts! Now his 4 yr old son can't understand where his daddy is and why he can't even visit his daddy anymore!!! His wife of over 10 yrs is now a widow! We are all BROKEN!!! His dad cries everyday, my 2 sons miss their brother... and I have no more joy left in me!

The laws must be changed!!! Although my beloved son is dead, I want to help change the laws, as no parent should ever have to bury their child, adult or not!!! This was a life changing horror for us. I gave the DOC my son alive and paying his debt to society and they gave me back his body! This is so morally wrong!!! :angry:

Where is the Zero Tolorance against Illegal Drugs getting into our prisons? Do they have an active drug testing program for the hired staff (civilian and officers)? I never hear of visitors being arrested... and if that was the only way these illegal drugs get in (like the DOC says) you NEVER hear anything about their arrests.

I don't know where to start in changing any laws, but I am willing to do what I can to help other sons, daughters, dads, mothers, brothers and sisters!

If I can help you in ANYWAY... please contact me!!! I am in Arizona.

**AZ Prisons are not Safe for Drug Addicts!**
**STOP Illegal Drugs in Prison!**

I agree 110% instead of putting someone in prison for a mental sickness that they feel the need to self medicate for. GET THEM HELP.. The system failed ur son.. he needed rehab an detox.. like most to all men and women in prison for drug addiction.. I would feel much better knowing my tax dollars are going to get a sick person the help they need...if there was something I could do to get these laws changed I would..

misscp2
02-21-2012, 02:15 PM
I agree with the first time drug offenders given another chance. Could've been worse

SchweiksGirl
02-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Please go to "www.petitionsite.com" KEYWORD: nonviolent federal parole and sign please!!!

SchweiksGirl
02-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Go to "www.petitionsite.com" KEYWORD: Nonviolent federal offenders and sign the petition!!
We have to start somewhere. It needs 10,000 signatures and is no where near that. Please help support it.

loving-him
03-28-2012, 08:17 AM
Go to "www.petitionsite.com" KEYWORD: Nonviolent federal offenders and sign the petition!!
We have to start somewhere. It needs 10,000 signatures and is no where near that. Please help support it.

I just signed =) thanks for bringing this to my attention,, I just posted on fb & sent out text

Powerd2004
04-01-2012, 08:13 PM
My bf got 24 years for manufacturing and intent to deliver meth. He just got caught up in the wrong thing and went into a downward spiral for 9 months. :-(

SandyACL
04-23-2012, 03:07 AM
Yup, I didn't vote basically because it's not just whether it's your first time. If the first time was heavy enough, prison may be a lawful way (say, instead of a death penalty).

But yeah there are definitely alternatives. Besides, prison is not the best place for rehabilitation. When you put someone in jail, it shouldn't be just to purely punish the person but to convert the person to something useful. We have to get to the root of this to solve the actual problem. Otherwise these drug offenders will likely just keep re-offending. And drug prices are just gonna keep soaring high in the black market making drugs stuff even more lucrative.

SusanWayward
05-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Hi all -

I really appreciate the feeling behind the starting of this thread. But I do want to say, starting online petitions is one of the least effective ways to get our elected officials to sit up and take notice.

You must start contacting your people in Congress, and your State & local elected officials. Write letters to them, make phone calls and maybe join with others in your LOCAL area to get state laws changed and on a national level, there are organizations like the Drug Policy Alliance (google that I'm not sure I can put a link to it) you can donate and also get involved in campaigns with them.

Other organizations:

NORML
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
NADCP (organization that supports the use of Drug Courts instead of jails)
Moms United To End the War On Drugs

To the mom here who lost her son to a heroin overdose: I am so sorry for your loss. Yours is a case where maybe a Drug Court would have gotten your son into treatment and prevented your family's tragedy. I hope you are able to tell your story to the right people and perhaps bring about some change - it is sadly too late for your own family but perhaps you can find peace in helping to bring about change for the next family - and please, get a GOOD lawyer, too if you do not already have one.

LadeeInWaiting
05-31-2012, 04:08 PM
I think for a sometimes jail/prison can be a wake up call. But I think think that is rare. Most addicts and drug users need treatment, counseling and other resources to help them. I think prison /jail should only be an option when other option fail.

kathijo1230
10-13-2012, 05:03 PM
My 46 year old husband got set up with pills. His luck the only person he ever sold to was trying to turn people to get his own sentence reduced. He is a first time offender and non violent and was sentenced to a mandatory 25 years just yesterday. After everything we've been through, he wouldn't give someone even an aspirin for a headache. But they will give him no second chance and now I am going to be a single mom with 2 little girls that he used to provide for. This war on drugs completely sucks when it comes to situations like ours. With the judge's hands tied, it put all the power in the prosecutor's hands. This is not justice.

BiteMeArizona
10-28-2012, 11:43 AM

I am in Texas!

I AGREE!!! My dad is serving a 6.6 year sentence in Arizona for a first time drug offense having totaled 1.8grams of Methamphetamine...yep about $180.00 street value! WTF??? Drug Courts?? Why does Arizona even have them? It's funny he has been there for a bit over 4 years and he has received a GED even though he graduated High School and college, but has yet to see a drug class during is time spent at ADC?? Is it just me or is something wrong here? :poke: I just can't wait until this is all over

BiteMeArizona
10-28-2012, 11:43 AM
I AGREE!!! My dad is serving a 6.6 year sentence in Arizona for a first time drug offense having totaled 1.8grams of Methamphetamine...yep about $180.00 street value! WTF??? Drug Courts?? Why does Arizona even have them? It's funny he has been there for a bit over 4 years and he has received a GED even though he graduated High School and college, but has yet to see a drug class during is time spent at ADC?? Is it just me or is something wrong here? :poke: I just can't wait until this is all over

Change.org we should start a petition!!!

BiteMeArizona
10-28-2012, 11:55 AM

Dangerous Drugs in a school zone is a different topic. I don't think any of us agree with that. I myself am thinking of drug users that get caught for the first time with a sizable amount to be considered "personal use".( And if they get accused of selling there also needs to be evidence..not just the word of a 2X convicted criminal or word form a COP without proof...just saying!) Forgive me this is just a touchy subject for me. Truth is anybody, from any lifestyle at anytime can become addicted to a drug. And I feel drug laws need to protect everyone!y

Tyler's Momma
10-28-2012, 12:38 PM

I am in Texas!

So, has a petition been started?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using PrisonTalk

johndee'swifey
10-28-2012, 09:20 PM
My hubby was sentenced to 10 years in 2005 for drugs and it is federal time :( the fed guidelines suck!!! Not fair at all to 1st time offenders

guero
10-30-2012, 11:30 AM
What is 85% of 46 months can someeone help me and i agree that first time offence for drug charges should b given a second chance on probation but i guess the goverment dont care they see us as criminals and treat us like murderers when i have been the nicest guy u canmeet and prison wont help no one in any way if any thing it imakes people worse i think

Rhebee
11-04-2012, 04:31 PM
My boyfriends in jail for dealing, he was on bail the first time but because he got caught a second time the judge wouldnt re-bail. :(

Jeanie88
01-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Does anyone know if there has been a petition started yet on this subject please.. if so Please snd me the link Thanks !!

LoveBhndBars
01-02-2013, 09:17 AM
my boyfriend was sentenced to 5 years for aiding and abetting heroin distribution, 1000 ft from a university. it was his first time getting caught. luckily, he will only do a little under 3 years, and will be out this may. he told me about a kid (19 years old) doing a 25 year sentence for dealing, first time offense. i understand that it's completely wrong to deal drugs, but that's a life sentence pretty much for a 19 year old kid. He'll be 44 when he gets out. i thank god that my boyfriend wasn't 'on top of the game' at the time he was caught, and that he won't do as harsh a sentense, i just can't see taking that much of someone's life for a first timer. it's just sad, and 5 years (with 6 years probation, which is federal, he has state probation too, which god knows how long that will be) for AIDING AND ABETTING, i just don't understand. i'm thankful everyday that he got the time he did, and that he will be able to go back to a normal life once out, it just makes me angry...

Jeanie88
01-02-2013, 10:02 AM
My Boyfriend got 30 Years for 1st time offense, Wasn't even caught with anything on himself or his property, He was sentenced on hear say of Co-Defendants.. He was accused of havin a Meth lab and sellin it .. He'll be bout 75 years old when he is released if his 2nd appeal don't do anything for him..

zman080808
01-02-2013, 03:37 PM
If one was a first time offender, what would be the charges for getting caught with 30 grams of ecstasy? with like 5 bags

02-13-2013, 07:11 PM
First time offenders are tossed into prison for several reasons, but the main one is...MONEY.

Yes, money. It greases the wheels. Think about it---inmates, parolees, probationers, case workers, social workers, CO's, cops, judges, public pretenders, psychologists, "drug rehabilitation counselors" (separate issue entirely)....all these people involved directly with the system want to keep their employment.

Let's face it--crime is BIG business. And to keep that business big...you need MONEY.

DaveMoff
02-13-2013, 09:32 PM
I quite agree. Think about how many people get their job security from a steady supply of "drug offenders"?

JustYeah
02-17-2013, 11:41 PM
I have a friend who was caught with about an ounce of pot at age 17 and was given a 90 day sentence. 17! For pot! I've tried it and have done it less than 5 times in my life. Most kids I knew in school at least tried it and obviously every highschool and college has it's pothead clique. Many of them still go on to lead productive lives. My ex smoked up until age 33 and only quit because his dealer got busted and I think he only got 2 years and it wasn't just pot he was dealing. He gave someone else up to save his own ass. But this guy gets jail at 17 only because he was unlucky enough to get caught buying it..really?

Now, more than a decade later, he's been in and out of jail but never another drug charge because he got smarter about it. I kinda wonder if he wasn't treated like a scumbag or a hardened criminal for doing what most kids/adults have done, would his life had even been different?

I°20west
04-07-2013, 12:18 PM
If one was a first time offender, what would be the charges for getting caught with 30 grams of ecstasy? with like 5 bags

Possession w/int

I°20west
04-07-2013, 12:32 PM
First time offenders are tossed into prison for several reasons, but the main one is...MONEY.

Yes, money. It greases the wheels. Think about it---inmates, parolees, probationers, case workers, social workers, CO's, cops, judges, public pretenders, psychologists, "drug rehabilitation counselors" (separate issue entirely)....all these people involved directly with the system want to keep their employment.

Let's face it--crime is BIG business. And to keep that business big...you need MONEY.

ABSOLUTELY!!!! The privatizing of prisons! A lot governors are sellibg the states prison to private companies under a twenty year contract to keep the prisons 90% full! And since the state is still housing the violent offenders....the private owned prisons get the non violent offenders(drug offenders)! And to meet the quota of the contract,,, first offenders receive prison time and every body else gets the bill!!!

sharonrn
04-08-2013, 05:50 PM
What is 85% of 46 months can someeone help me and i agree that first time offence for drug charges should b given a second chance on probation but i guess the goverment dont care they see us as criminals and treat us like murderers when i have been the nicest guy u canmeet and prison wont help no one in any way if any thing it imakes people worse i think
85percent of 46 months is 39 months

tunnel light
04-23-2013, 04:47 PM
Hello,

On Friday, April 12th, 2013 my son, Lance Forsberg (33) was sentenced to three years in Morgantown Federal Prison. On Monday, April 22nd, 2013 my husband, Dennis Forsberg (59) was sentenced to three years in prison (most likely Michigan). I am in a state of complete shock, disappoint, sadness at our Federal Court system regarding Medical Marijuana.

Michigan citizens passed the law in 2010. By 2012 Michigan had dispensaries with many care givers desiring to grow outside of their own home. Thus, my husband as a business man had a old empty warehouse. So, he talked to local police, local officials, local schools officials, three lawyers. They all assured him it was ok to rent, so he drafted legal papers and got a tax ID. Because of our transparency the Federal DEA raided this warehouse with six growers and only a few hundred plants divided among them all. As my husband had a lawyer draft legal papers, it is those legal papers the Federal DEA have used to call him a "Drug Leader" and what the Prosecutor used to have him sentenced. She was after ten plus years, but the Judge gave three after many months of fear.

It is still surreal to us, my son was arrested with his father due to the fact he is a certified plant expert and the growers were having issues with bugs, growth, etc so the DEA Agents had him in pictures coming and going with plants from the building.

We have never been in trouble with the law before. Hard working, large family, my husband and I married 37 years, grandchildren, daily worship of Christ and he is ill with blood clot issues. Yet, he is going to prison for three years.

Truly, as of now suicide seems a better option for my husband and me at his side rather than him going to prison. We just can not wrap our minds around the fact we attempted and searched to be legal state wise and then were arrested federal wise.

Three years for lack of knowledge about Federal Law and trusting State Law seems very steep to us. Truly, panic attacks are what we live in daily.

Not sure I can do this, face the next three years with my husband and a son in separate prison, when truly we have always attempted to follow all the laws of the land. My son also has a three year old daughter who will not understand why her daddy is gone.

How, why, what purpose does it serve the Federal Agency to place them in prison? I am frightened.

WHAT TRULY MAKES IT COMPLETELY HARD TO ACCEPT IS IN THE FORTY YEARS MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE BEEN TOGETHER WE HAVE NEVER ONCE SMOKED OR USED MARIJUANA, MEDICAL OR NOT. HE IS GOING TO PRISON FOR MEDICAL MARIJUANA AND WE HAVE NEVER USED, SMOKED OR GROWN IT.

SusanWayward
04-26-2013, 08:52 PM
My heart goes out to you, please stay strong for yourself and for your family.

As terrible as it is, you can get through this. Now is the time for you to lean on God and let His Spirit guide you.

And just know, if it helps any, there are many others who realize the injustice and more who are working to try to change things.

Peace, love and light.

sidewalker
04-29-2013, 08:13 AM
tunnel light
I too am very very sorry.It seems so so wrong that he was permitted by the city, etc and then the feds step in. Im in CA and they do this here as well. It was my understanding that medical marijuana was not supposed to be a priority for feds. Guess its too easy to go after them.

Suicide is a permanent fix for a temporary situation.

Please consider calling this hotline
SUICIDE UNITED STATES
National Suicide & Crisis Hotlines
1-800-SUICIDE
784-2433

ken's EMT
05-11-2013, 08:36 PM
Hello,

On Friday, April 12th, 2013 my son, Lance Forsberg (33) was sentenced to three years in Morgantown Federal Prison. On Monday, April 22nd, 2013 my husband, Dennis Forsberg (59) was sentenced to three years in prison (most likely Michigan). I am in a state of complete shock, disappoint, sadness at our Federal Court system regarding Medical Marijuana.

Michigan citizens passed the law in 2010. By 2012 Michigan had dispensaries with many care givers desiring to grow outside of their own home. Thus, my husband as a business man had a old empty warehouse. So, he talked to local police, local officials, local schools officials, three lawyers. They all assured him it was ok to rent, so he drafted legal papers and got a tax ID. Because of our transparency the Federal DEA raided this warehouse with six growers and only a few hundred plants divided among them all. As my husband had a lawyer draft legal papers, it is those legal papers the Federal DEA have used to call him a "Drug Leader" and what the Prosecutor used to have him sentenced. She was after ten plus years, but the Judge gave three after many months of fear.

It is still surreal to us, my son was arrested with his father due to the fact he is a certified plant expert and the growers were having issues with bugs, growth, etc so the DEA Agents had him in pictures coming and going with plants from the building.

We have never been in trouble with the law before. Hard working, large family, my husband and I married 37 years, grandchildren, daily worship of Christ and he is ill with blood clot issues. Yet, he is going to prison for three years.

Truly, as of now suicide seems a better option for my husband and me at his side rather than him going to prison. We just can not wrap our minds around the fact we attempted and searched to be legal state wise and then were arrested federal wise.

Three years for lack of knowledge about Federal Law and trusting State Law seems very steep to us. Truly, panic attacks are what we live in daily.

Not sure I can do this, face the next three years with my husband and a son in separate prison, when truly we have always attempted to follow all the laws of the land. My son also has a three year old daughter who will not understand why her daddy is gone.

How, why, what purpose does it serve the Federal Agency to place them in prison? I am frightened.

WHAT TRULY MAKES IT COMPLETELY HARD TO ACCEPT IS IN THE FORTY YEARS MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE BEEN TOGETHER WE HAVE NEVER ONCE SMOKED OR USED MARIJUANA, MEDICAL OR NOT. HE IS GOING TO PRISON FOR MEDICAL MARIJUANA AND WE HAVE NEVER USED, SMOKED OR GROWN IT.
my heart goes out to you dearly please spend this time to get things in order so that you won,t feel super stressd when they are not home. Who will cut your grass, fix or repair things for you , get towing service for your vehicle , talk about everything make sure you get power of attorney papers, talk about financial subjects, I am talking from experience just try to stay strong

stephanie4985
05-19-2013, 03:38 PM
I am facing 10 years i n prison on a first offense. I have never even been arrested I have a six and four year old and work as a nursing assistant and they basically offered be a 78month plea I don't think this :s right and even my lawyer tells me take plea my children will be 14 and 12 when I get out hows that fair to anyone I never hurt anyone and I was caught with drugs in my car that didn't belong to me

SusanWayward
06-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Quote: Originally Posted by stlcru
Do you think a first time offender that gets caught with crack in a school zone should be given probation?Dangerous Drugs in a school zone is a different topic. I don't think any of us agree with that.

School zone charges are bullshit in most cases. If you live in an urban area, almost anywhere you go is a "school zone". An arrestee will be charged with possessing or distributing in a school zone whether or not he INTENDED to be anywhere near a school.

It is mostly a means for the prosecutor to be able to stack charges that carry mandatory minimums so that they can carry a "big stick" in plea negotiations.

It borders on slander in my opinion - make every defendant sound like some perverted candy-man who wants to corrupt little children.

I know a person who got hit with a school zone charge after being set up by an undercover officer who purchased from him inside the place where he worked NOTHING to do with being on school property but there was a school a block away, sooooo....

Another person who was in the parking lot of his apartment complex, searched by a cop who was patrolling the area (actually this person should have refused the search, but) - there was a day care a block and a half away and even though the arrest took place at night when the day care was closed and no children about....school zone charge.

Don't buy into the BS, those laws are not about protecting children, they are about maintaining the 98% guilty plea rate for prosecutors.

aprilheem03
07-01-2013, 11:39 AM
I think if this is your 1st offense you should at least be given a 2nd chance , my boyfriend got sentenced a 5-10 years for a drug case that was less then 5oz on top the philadelphia police put a gun on him that they found down the street after doing a random search on the block an now he have to complete the whole 5yrs because they took away pre release!!

BreezyLuvzTrip
07-03-2013, 05:24 AM
Change.org we should start a petition!!!
I Hate AZ they have classified ONLY methamphetamines a dangerous drug, so my husband for selling less than a ball is looking at 6.5 years! I'm pregnant with our first son and he won't even be here... Six fucking years for a drug less dangerous then heroin! Child molesters get less time than that!!!!! F this state!!!!!!!!:blah: