View Full Version : Wallens Ridge State Prison

peapie32
10-11-2006, 09:05 AM
Hi All! I've noticed that there isn't much about Wallens Ridge here in western VA out here, so I'd like to post some info given to me by my son who is currently serving time there.

If you do a search on Wallens Ridge, you're going to find a lot of bad scary stuff. However, there is nothing recent. It all dates back to 1999-2000 when the facility first opened. Yeah, back then it was pretty ugly. Now though, my son has had no hard time by guards or other inmates thus far. He said, yeah it could be hard time, but it is up to the inmate if they want to do hard time or easy time. They choose their destiny.
Wallens Ridge is part supermax, and part not.
There are educational programs for GED and college, and finanical assistance for those programs to those 25 and under.
There are also "good behavior" incentives. There are 4 different levels, and every number of months an individual has gone without incident, they are moved up. Each level giving the person more freedom (i.e.: being out of the cell longer). The top level is after 18 months of good behavior, and he is still looking into the privledges for that.
Visitation is either contact or behind glass. It depends on how busy they are that day. I would definately recommend early if you want contact!
They are allowed to purchase TV's and radios (although they are outrageously priced!) And they can have cable (it is limited, but they get like ESPN and a couple other cable channels).That's all I have right now. But I am going to continue posting new info on Wallens Ridge as I find out. I hope this will be helpful to anybody who has a loved one over there.

--peapie32:)

dwfighterva
10-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Thanks Peapie!!! We are working on info guides for each of the prisons so I will be putting all this info in them once we get them up and running!

This is the kind of information we need!! Thanks!!!

dw

peapie32
10-11-2006, 08:21 PM
You're very welcome dw. I hope other people can add to this as well.

peapie32
10-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Hi All! Just adding an update to my ongoing list of what life is like for those over in Wallens Ridge.

We just got a letter in the mail from my son with an order form for a holiday package. He is allowed to order $75 worth of food (that will be delivered to him in December) that he isn't able to get through the regular commissary. We send the order form to the American Commissary Supply company, and make sure the money is in his account by a certain date. He can order things like chips and salsa, meatballs, cookies, hershey's chocolates, Chicken of the Sea products and much more. It is a nice bonus for the inmates, and allows the family's to get a Christmas present for their loved ones.

ceehatch
10-15-2006, 01:04 AM
peapie... This is something that you do, you do not put the money in his account for it. You place the order, pay for it and they send it to him. Here is the link to do the order online : American Commissary Supply (http://www.acs-us.com/)

They allow you to do this twice a year. Once around Easter and the 2nd around Christmas. Take care!

peapie32
10-15-2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks ceehatch! I must have mis-read the form. Good thing you told me before I put the money in his account!!!!!!! :) This is all new to me. Thanks!

ceehatch
10-15-2006, 02:49 PM
No problem.... that's what we are here for :D

peapie32
10-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Just a little update to my ongoing thing here.

Education In Wallens Ridge:

My son told us this week that there is a GED program in which he has enrolled. They do get paid for taking the course. Unfortunately some guys stretch it out for 6 months to a year, so there is a waiting list.
Once they have completed their GED, they can enroll for college courses through Big Stone Gap Community College. There is financial assistance available to 25 years of age or younger.
There are also other programs within the prison that they can take for anger management, drug addictions, etc...
There are jobs available, however the only one you can get without a GED is in the kitchen. I will have to update this later with the types of jobs available to them.That's it for right now. As always, if anyone has a correction or anything to add to this, please do.

ceehatch
10-18-2006, 11:23 PM
Thank you peapie so much! This is very helpful info... Take care :)

peapie32
10-20-2006, 12:18 PM
I completely forgot (and probably because I had too much info swirling around in my head) to mention the documentary hosted by the RIHD called "Up the Ridge" that was in Richmond back on October 7th.

Did anyone out here go to it? What did they think? Personally, based on what I've heard from my son and based on the fact that it was done back in 1999 I don't think it is that bad anymore. I know that unjustices like they spoke about still happen everyday, but as far as that facility goes...

I actually wasn't quite sure what to make of it. And not exactly sure what to do. There are just so many issues regarding prison reform. Right now, we are starting with supporting the SB-105 bill (even though it wouldn't immediately affect my son) and going from there.

peapie32
11-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Hi all! I have an update on visitation at Wallens Ridge. We went and visited my son this weekend. Yay!! It was so good to see him!! :D Anyways..

Visitation:

On both Saturday and Sunday, it starts at 9am.
You cannot wear the colors green, orange or maroon, since those are the colors they wear.
You can bring up to $20 per person in quarters, nickels or dimes. They do have a change machine there, but they told me that it doesn't always work.
They do pat you down, but it's right there in the lobby. Not like at some places where they have a separate room they take you to.
Up to 5 people can visit at one time.
They give you a stamp on your hand that can only be seen with an ultra-violet light that you have to show the guard in the visitation room when you enter and exit.
In the visitation room, there are 2 rows of steel tables: you on one side, them on the other. There is a partition in the middle with a 4 inch ledge on it. You can hug and stuff when they come in, and when you leave, that's the only contact allowed.
When you pass him food or drinks, it has to be put on the ledge of the partition first, then he can take it. You cannot hand anything directly to him.
There are 2 drink machines, and 2 food machines. One has like chips, candy, etc.. The other one had pizza, burritos, cheesburgers, stuff like that. There is a microwave, plates, sporks, napkins, and condiments on a table next to the vending machines.
It appears they only fill the machines once a week, so the prime pickings on food is first thing Saturday morning.
You are guaranteed an hour. If they are busy you can visit with him behind glass, or end the visit. If they are not busy, then you can sit at the table all day if you want. We got the boot Saturday, but not Sunday.
I recommend staying at the Super 8 Hotel in Norton, about 20 minutes away from the facility. It is cheap, nice, and there is a Super Wal-Mart 5 minutes up the road! :thumbsup:Overall, this was a great visit. Much better than other facilities we've been to. The guards are very nice, and treat both families and inmates with respect. The guards did go to one inmate while we were there to tell him that he couldn't eat the food that was directly handed to him (not put on partition), the guard was very nice, and bent down and whispered to the guy as to not cause embarrassment. Same when they told us we had to go behind glass or leave, the guard came up to my son and said "Hey buddy, do you want to go behind the glass?". Funny story, when we were in the front putting our shoes on, I whispered to my husband that it was much nicer than Mecklenburg, and the guards overheard me and laughed and said "Well, thank you!". And, on the second day, they gave my 4 year old a stamp on each hand! I feel very comfortable and not like I did something wrong, as I have felt before. Plus my son is doing great and nobody is causing him any grief! Great visit all around!!!!!

ceehatch
11-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Glad you had such a great visit. :D... Thanks for all the info., it will definitely be of asset to others.

jakebeau1
07-15-2013, 10:05 AM
Well its July 2013 and my son age 27 just got transferred there. What are things like now? Does anyone still have family there? Thanks you

doobug79
07-16-2013, 06:41 AM
Well its July 2013 and my son age 27 just got transferred there. What are things like now? Does anyone still have family there? Thanks you

my husband has been there for 3 1/2 years now. do you know what building your son is in?

jakebeau1
07-16-2013, 03:00 PM
my husband has been there for 3 1/2 years now. do you know what building your son is in?

Not yet he got there Friday night hes in segregation waiting to be transferred to a building. Hes my son 27 has 25 and we don't know what he will be able to do there. There is many unknowns so I dont know what privledges hell have if any. he is in shackles when he leaves the room so hes getting use to that. Most all family live in Cali so visiting will come much latter. I am wondering if the Chaplin is ever available Thanks for your help

doobug79
07-17-2013, 06:34 AM
Not yet he got there Friday night hes in segregation waiting to be transferred to a building. Hes my son 27 has 25 and we don't know what he will be able to do there. There is many unknowns so I dont know what privledges hell have if any. he is in shackles when he leaves the room so hes getting use to that. Most all family live in Cali so visiting will come much latter. I am wondering if the Chaplin is ever available Thanks for your help

Me and the Chaplin do not get along for personal reasons. Its a small area and I know him from years ago off the street so personally I steer clear of him to keep myself outta trouble. I can't remember how long they hold in seg before the boys are released to gen pop. where its a level 5 they are not allowed "regular" clothes, they basically have scrubs they wear. burgundy in the pods, green at visit. If he falls in with the right crowd it shouldn't take a lot for him to get a job. there are allowed to have state issued MP3 players and download songs (pay per song or album) to them. they are in the process of getting rechaageable batteries for the mp3 players. if he keeps his nose clean he may be able to get in the privlidge pod with is C-4. there he will have access to a microwave, otherwise not. right now they are doing a fall "package" with 125.00 spending limit. some of the items are not normally offered on their coms. let me know if you want the particulars and i'll give you the web sites to get it all set up. hope that helps.

Grad0507
07-19-2013, 07:04 AM
I completely forgot (and probably because I had too much info swirling around in my head) to mention the documentary hosted by the RIHD called "Up the Ridge" that was in Richmond back on October 7th.

Did anyone out here go to it? What did they think? Personally, based on what I've heard from my son and based on the fact that it was done back in 1999 I don't think it is that bad anymore. I know that unjustices like they spoke about still happen everyday, but as far as that facility goes...

I actually wasn't quite sure what to make of it. And not exactly sure what to do. There are just so many issues regarding prison reform. Right now, we are starting with supporting the SB-105 bill (even though it wouldn't immediately affect my son) and going from there.

What does that have to do with prison? SB 105 seems to relate to the blind and disabled.

jakebeau1
07-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Me and the Chaplin do not get along for personal reasons. Its a small area and I know him from years ago off the street so personally I steer clear of him to keep myself outta trouble. I can't remember how long they hold in seg before the boys are released to gen pop. where its a level 5 they are not allowed "regular" clothes, they basically have scrubs they wear. burgundy in the pods, green at visit. If he falls in with the right crowd it shouldn't take a lot for him to get a job. there are allowed to have state issued MP3 players and download songs (pay per song or album) to them. they are in the process of getting rechaageable batteries for the mp3 players. if he keeps his nose clean he may be able to get in the privlidge pod with is C-4. there he will have access to a microwave, otherwise not. right now they are doing a fall "package" with 125.00 spending limit. some of the items are not normally offered on their coms. let me know if you want the particulars and i'll give you the web sites to get it all set up. hope that helps.

Thanks for the help. Yes i would love the information on fall package. How are the visits ? I wont be coming anytime soon but just wondering. Do you know if family who are in prison in another state can write? He has a brother in Oregon. Anyway thanks for the info I spoke with him couple nights ago in Sug and he was just trying to get TP. Im trying to get a local number also for cheaper calls. Again thanks

jakebeau1
07-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Thanks you information I have passed on as much as I can when he called
I would like info on the fall packages. Thanks again:D

Onedaycloser13
07-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Here is the website, the website is here (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.accesscatalog.com%2Fshop%2Fin dex.html%3FProgramID%3D67&ei=n0PsUd6vL9Xl4AOq54HYCQ&usg=AFQjCNGio6yQI-09Xj_f3dhQDk7szSk3lA). There is a `$125 limit and it is food items that they cannot get usually on commissary. Since the beginning was July 1st more than likely it will be closing soon, so if you are going to order I would do it soon.

doobug79
09-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the help. Yes i would love the information on fall package. How are the visits ? I wont be coming anytime soon but just wondering. Do you know if family who are in prison in another state can write? He has a brother in Oregon. Anyway thanks for the info I spoke with him couple nights ago in Sug and he was just trying to get TP. Im trying to get a local number also for cheaper calls. Again thanks

sorry its been a while... sadly no.. inmate to inmate letters, even family, are not allowed at all in VA :(

Grad0507
02-11-2014, 07:15 PM
sorry its been a while... sadly no.. inmate to inmate letters, even family, are not allowed at all in VA :(

That's such a retarded rule.

Grad0507
02-11-2014, 07:54 PM
if he keeps his nose clean he may be able to get in the privlidge pod with is C-4.

What can you tell me about pod A-5? Just a typical pod?