View Full Version : What can cause a false positive for oxycontin? Need advice!

needtonkow
11-10-2006, 07:57 PM
A relative of mine was given a court ordered a 12 panel urine drug test. As a condition of his monitired bond realse why he is awaiting his trail.

The only drug he was taken were his prescribed medicines:
Hydrocodone 7.5
Fexofenidine (Allegra)
Lipitor
And over the counter Vitamins including:
B-100
B Muilviatimine Complex
Menís one a Day Multivitamin
Anti-Stress Multivitamin

The person given the drug test said he tested positive for Opinant form the hydrocodone but also test positive for Oxycontin. Which he has never taken in his life.

They refused to give him another test and put him in jail. The tester and the police officer freaked out and statred screaming at me becuase I politly asked the to please give him another test.

They threatend to put me in jail for disorderly because I asked them that. I was doing nothing wrong and be very nice and looking for help as I was shocked at what they said was in his system. He has never taken the stuff before in his life and we were being shacken down. The only people actibg disorderly wer the so called officals at the courts house. I am in shock and completely discussted by the injustice that happend to my realtive.

One of 3 things happend. 1. The tested lied. 2.) It was a bad test. or 3.) It was a false positive.

Does anyone know hhat could cause a false positive for oxycontin and how can we disprove them?:eek:

doomgames3
11-10-2006, 08:14 PM
A relative of mine was given a court ordered a 12 panel urine drug test. As a condition of his monitired bond realse why he is awaiting his trail.

The only drug he was taken were his prescribed medicines:
Hydrocodone 7.5
Fexofenidine (Allegra)
Lipitor
And over the counter Vitamins including:
B-100
B Muilviatimine Complex
Menís one a Day Multivitamin
Anti-Stress Multivitamin

The person given the drug test said he tested positive for Opinant form the hydrocodone but also test positive for Oxycontin. Which he has never taken in his life.

They refused to give him another test and put him in jail. The tester and the police officer freaked out and statred screaming at me becuase I politly asked the to please give him another test.

They threatend to put me in jail for disorderly because I asked them that. I was doing nothing wrong and be very nice and looking for help as I was shocked at what they said was in his system. He has never taken the stuff before in his life and we were being shacken down. The only people actibg disorderly wer the so called officals at the courts house. I am in shock and completely discussted by the injustice that happend to my realtive.

One of 3 things happend. 1. The tested lied. 2.) It was a bad test. or 3.) It was a false positive.

Does anyone know hhat could cause a false positive for oxycontin and how can we disprove them?:eek:

the generic of oycontin is oxycodone, which is similiar to hydrocodone. hydrocone is the generic of vicodin. both are pain killers. see the similarity even in the spellings? did the people adminstering the drug test know which prescribed medications he was taking?

Jillian
11-10-2006, 08:29 PM
I agree with the above post, if those were his prescribed medicines then you need to call his dr who gave him those prescriptions and he can help you out with this

mrschris
11-10-2006, 09:12 PM
uhmm...hydrocodone and oxycontin are nearly the same thing...i believe there's like a different arrangement in the atomic setup which makes them different...but the test would NOT be able to decipher oxycodone from hydrocodone because in essence they are all the same...vicodine, endocet, percocet, etc.

i'm sorry he's going through this but whatever they told you is bogus. they should have KNOWN he would test postive for oxycontin because he's taking hydrocodone.

a note from any doctor should be able to let them know. i'm sorry you're going through this.

needtonkow
11-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Yes they did. He had to furinsh his prescriptions prior to testing. I asked her if the loratab would possibly show up as an oxycontin and she said no. She told me that oxycontin is a opiant but it has a specific test and that he tested positive for oxycontin imparticularly. Which is impossible.

I do not understand how that could happen. He has never taken it before.

Thanks for the reply. :)

mel2020
11-11-2006, 06:59 AM
What, specifically did he eat or drink in the 8 hours prior tothis testing? Since oxycontin is a opioid, coming from the poppy seed, it could be something he ate...

HOPE4FUTURE
11-11-2006, 07:11 AM
Mel is exactly right if it is an opiate. Let me explain this story. Some inmates where I worked all tested positive on a urine drop. They complained to me with one saying he doesn't even use aspirin. I tole them a story about how I had tested positive once when I had to be tested while working for an investigation company. I all led becak to me eating those sausage rooled in dough that I was buying out of a vending machine. They had poppy seeds in them. I told the inmate this story and sure enough, they had poppy seeds in the buns they were serving in food service that day. They were all food service workers. He took it to the Wardens attention and the drug charges were all thrown out and the poppy seed buns were taken off the menu. Hope this helps!

mel2020
11-11-2006, 05:56 PM
I cheked on it...it IS an opioid. But, thanks for the first hand story. I've heard of this happening before, too.

mrschris
11-11-2006, 06:17 PM
i've never even heard of a test specifically for oxycontin.

Marina1027
11-11-2006, 06:59 PM
How long is his hair? I remember an old episode of 21 Jumpstreet (yeah, I know, that isn't reality) where one of the female officers (played by Holly Robinson) tested positive on a pee test and the only way to prove it was cold medication was to do a test on her hair. (Her's was quite long at the time and the script said it would show 6 months of history) ANYWAY...if his hair could be tested it would prove he wasn't taking anything illegal. Of course...this theory is based on a tv episode I watched in 1987...take it for what it's worth.

tiptoesbabygyrl
11-11-2006, 07:22 PM
As a RN I cannot see how they were able to differiantiate between the hydrocodone he was taking and oxycontin these are both opiates which are similiar. I have done drug testing including hair tests for years and I have never heard of a specific test for oxycontin. My best advise is get his dr involved any md worth his weight should be able to cast a doubt on this test as these 2 drugs are similiar in chemical make-up and what they break down into . Stay positive

Onelove250
11-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Both oxycontin and hydrocodone or codeine they all show up up as an opiate in a drug test. They cannot tell the difference between them. There is no specific drug test for oxycontin. Good luck!

mel2020
11-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Oxycodone is a pure agonist opioid whose principal therapeutic action is analgesia. Other members of the class known as opioid agonists include substances such as morphine, hydromorphone, fentanyl, codeine, and hydrocodone.

Oxycodone hydrochloride is extensively metabolized to noroxycodone, oxymorphone, and their glucuronides.

Approximately 85% of an oral dose [of hydrocordone hydrochloride] appears in the urine within 24 hours of administration, most as the glucuronide conjugate, with small amounts of other conjugates and unchanged drug.

***from http://www.rxlist.com

If you can get me what kind of test they are using (manufacturer, urine, hair, etc.), I can tell you for sure whether or not they can distinguish the two. I'll be able to pull up the inserts for the particular kit, and read the scientific mumbo-jumbo, and let ya know if its at all possible. Yes, I'm a science nerd! :p

downtownchicago
11-13-2006, 08:14 PM
I think the drug test CAN distinguish between oxycodone and hydrocodone, but it has to be the right test.

Check out this statement:

"If a donor is positive for opiates and confirmed by GC/MS to contain hydrocodone and the donor's doctor or pharmacist produces a prescription for codeine, oxycodone or some opate drug other than hydrocodone, then the MRO must report the drug screen as positive for opiates."

http://www.usis.com/commercialservices/download/Information%20on%20Screening%20with%20Instant%20Pr oducts.pdf

needtonkow, I think you should find out exactly what tests were administered.