View Full Version : Fed Time Served from 85% to 65%

Goldy
06-25-2002, 02:37 PM
I heard some place that it was in legislation that the mandatory time served for people sentenced to federal may change from 85 to 65 percent. Is this true? Also, is it possible to be released straight to home detention for your last 6 months instead of going to a halfway house?

Thanks in Advance!!

GOLDY

BillnDenise
06-25-2002, 08:21 PM
I haven't heard anything like that. I'm hoping though because my BF is in federal.

soraya
06-26-2002, 05:19 AM
darrell is federal too!! if his appeal won't be accepted, he has 22 more years before he's up for parole. so I hope and pray he'll have to do 65%
where did you hear this?

Steve&kids
06-26-2002, 09:54 AM
Stephanie has to do 85% of her sentence.I also would like to know if the Feds will let her skip the halfway house and come home to dentention?Steve&kids

Goldy
06-26-2002, 10:46 AM
I want to say that it was a post from Fed-Ex that stated the reduction in time had been proposed and in front of legislation but I'm not for sure. As far as skipping the halfway house and just getting home detention I dont even know if it is possible but was hoping someone would have some information either way. They say they do they halfway house thing to get you reintroduced to society, re-eestablish family ties, etc. What better way to do that then to send the person to their home? But then again, I'm thinking logically, and we all now that has no plaace in the BOP.

Thanks

GOLDY

Steve&kids
06-26-2002, 04:28 PM
Logic, and prisons!MMMMmmmmm, I dont see the connection!!!!Steve&kids

Goldy
07-01-2002, 11:46 AM
has anyone been able to find anymore info on this?

Lis&Nif
08-14-2002, 03:26 PM
I searched through Legislature and proposed bills and could not find anything specifically about the %85-%65 change, but I did find proof that someone is trying. I haven't looked in a little while so I'm not sure what has happened since. My husband said he heard it on the news while incarcerated in RRJ, VA, but nothing other than that. This seriously needs to be done, it would also elleviate the overcrowding inside.

Goody's Girl
08-14-2002, 04:29 PM
I know that I spoke to my State Representative here in Florida, and know that it is on the table here, just not on paper yet because they don't want the public to know about it. I also heard from a reliable source that works with State Senator's here in Florida that the Feds going back to 65% is a done deal. But, would like confirmation of that. Seems to me that once the Feds do it, the states will have no choice but to follow their guidelines.

David
08-14-2002, 04:35 PM
They have been saying/talking about this since I first arrived in federal prison in 2000 but nothing has changed as of yet. In all honesty, it could be years before it up for a final decision with the sentencing commission, etc..

escamillo
09-06-2002, 08:40 PM
Please see the thread "To revive the Parole .." in the World Prison News Forum. A Representative from Hawai has placed a Bill on last July. It is complete and detailed, and would benefit many thousands of people serving 85%, by granting parole at 1/3 or 2/3. Let's pray and take all the actions necessary to support the proposal.

Un abrazo,
Andrés

kintml2u
09-16-2002, 05:39 AM
Oh geazzz...I didn't know it was here! Thak you Andres! I was looking elsewhere! A dead end! LOL

Thank You!

A'sgrl
09-16-2002, 01:09 PM
When I spoke with Adrian the other day he said that he also heard about the 85% going to 65% and he wanted me to check into it. My god, that would be so great if it happened then he wouldn't be missing out on all of the most important years of Justin's life!! I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed and keep praying for all of us!! If anyone finds anything new out please let me/us know and I'll do the same!! Thanks for the hopeful outlook!
-Stephanie and Justin

Daveswife
09-16-2002, 03:57 PM
I get the newsletter from Families against mandatory minimums. The last they know is that it's still 85%.

kintml2u
09-16-2002, 06:55 PM
Yes,
As far as I know, nothing else has changed. But we still need support for this thing if we want this change. So if you haven't sent a letter of support, now is a good time! I know I sound like I am trying to sell something! I am, more time for all our loved ones at home, where they belong!!! LOL As I mentioned in the other post pertaining to this, I am trying to gather eamil addys incase we have an "Action Alert" to get out.

oregonyellowros
09-20-2002, 11:08 PM
Hi everyone,

I got a wild hair and have emailed the DOJ and point blank asked them about this. I was told that it can take up to 20 days to get a response so if and when I ever hear anything I will let you know. I asked them if it was going to happen and if so when and will it be retroactive.

Keep your fingers crossed and don't forget to fight for the H.R. 5296 Diane is talking about. If we can't get them one way...we can go the other.

ThaNumbaOneStunna
09-21-2002, 12:34 PM
Hello,

Hopefully, this will help give some insight on a federal level what is happening in legistation with regards to sentence reduction for federal prisoners. You can go to the following link and research and read for yourselves. However the only bills that I found that were introduce with reguards to sentence reduction was: Post Conviction DNA Testing which applies mostly to Death Penalty Cases and Drug Sentence Reform Act 2001. These bills have only been INTRODUCED. They are not were close to being passed. So those of us with the political connections need to get on the phone and tap in to some of the old favors...old "friends" owe us. :)

AK http://www.senate.gov/legislative/index.html

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/index.html

merilee
10-15-2002, 08:56 PM
I have heard and read somewhere that with a mantatory sentence with the truth and sentencing, if imprisoned after that took effect that for non violent offenders it may be they serve 3/4 of the sentence. does any one know3 for sure. i am in wisconsin,

merilee
10-19-2002, 12:42 AM
Hi Everyone, I e-mailed the parole board to ask this question
about early release of my boyfriend sentence, b/c i heard so much about early release, i was told if he was sentenced under the new law, that he would serve his entire mantatory sentence of two yrs, he is in wisconsin and was sentenced for 5 dui's. does it matter state or federal prison b/c i don't know which it is. its Oshkosh in WI. any comments, i am real disappointed now, i and he thought he would be released sooner............................................ ................Merilee

kintml2u
10-19-2002, 11:59 AM
State and Federal sentences are quite different!

Is your husband serving time under the state system...or federal system?

Federal time....Mandatory Minimums....this is what was being fought against. When they ended parole...years ago...it ended all hope! It is mandatory for 85% of your sentence to be served!

State sentences vary...depending on the state.

lulu
10-19-2002, 12:47 PM
they in state were trying to get non viloent offender to sever 85% of there time, which i believe to be stupid, how ever, i ask someone that knews the law and they said there was no such law,, well, then how come half my dudes spend 85% beofre they can make parole??? feds i know does cause of the no parole thingy. lol i am really hoping that they bring it back.

kintml2u
10-19-2002, 03:46 PM
I would say most of those I have known to serve time in state prisons here in Maryland have nevr served 85% of their time. With the exception of mabey one or two...who just plainly refused to abide by any rules and regulations! Making them stay behind the walls for that time! I want to think the most time served on a sentence was mabey 2/3 time given. And thats at the high point, from my knowledge in those I have known here in the state. It is apparently not working well with the feds...why would states try to make that the set time served?! Its crazy!

bella
10-20-2002, 11:22 PM
In florida an inmate must serve a minimum of 85% of the sentence, they can serve 100% if they lose gain time. There is also no parole. Unfortunate but true state law here :(

cjsd777
01-14-2009, 07:09 PM
I searched through Legislature and proposed bills and could not find anything specifically about the %85-%65 change, but I did find proof that someone is trying. I haven't looked in a little while so I'm not sure what has happened since. My husband said he heard it on the news while incarcerated in RRJ, VA, but nothing other than that. This seriously needs to be done, it would also elleviate the overcrowding inside.
M y son is n prison, and he said someone said they had passed this law. But after reading all this from 2002... Was it ever passed

mariah034
01-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Their is a Bill sitting in the Judiciary Committee of The House of Represetatives. Call or write your Congressional Representative and urge hi/her to reintroduce and the vote for the Bill. The Bill is The "Good Time" Bill.

mariah034
01-16-2009, 07:23 PM
My loved one was just sentenced with the 85% December 16th, 2008 and I just called my congressmen and asked him to reinstate the "Good Time" Bill and vote for it. I support it all the way.

msearp99
01-22-2009, 01:38 PM
what is the bill #? where can it be found online? Thanks

tropicalnla
01-22-2009, 02:33 PM
This bill died in congress it was HR 7089 but will have to be resubmitted for the new session... You can also visit www.fedcure.org (http://www.fedcure.org) for more info :)