View Full Version : Directions to Choice Moore Unit in Bonham-Texas Prison

mysticalbtrfly1
01-04-2007, 07:26 PM
My hubby was just moved to Choice Moore this week and I tried to do a mapquest to the prison but it cannot locate the address. If anyone could provide directions for me once I get to Bonham I would appreciate it.

Also, does anyone know of any hospitality houses in the area?

Rachel
01-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Here is a link to some directions:
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1561711&postcount=73

Hospitality House info here: Hospitality Houses (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81137)

Hope this gives you a good start!
Rach x

mysticalbtrfly1
01-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Thank you for your help, however, neither of these links give me directions or any hospitality houses in the area.

Maybe someone who goes there or has been there? Any help?

marietx
01-05-2007, 01:33 PM
I go to Choice Moore just about every weekend...where do you need directions from? Are you familiar with the Dallas area?

If you can get to just north of the McKinney area on I-75 (Central Expressway), you take the exit that says Bonham...it is Hwy 121 North. You take 121N (you'll be heading northeast). You take that for about 35 miles probably (there are milemarkers for Bonham so you'll know as you approach). You will then see a small sign for 311 spur...take a left there. Its just a short road that deadends into 56...take a left. You will soon come to FM 87...turn right...go over the railroad tracks and Choice Moore is the first prison you come to on the right. Park in the parking lot out front. There is a guard shack by the gate...you walk up there and they will wand you and make sure your clothes are appropriate. You are only allowed to take in your starter key (no keychain), your license, and a clear bag with change in it. No sunglasses or anything.

Let me know if you think of any other questions you have...I've really found Choice Moore to be pretty friendly. I hope you have a great visit!

txfan06
01-05-2007, 01:46 PM
[quote=mysticalbtrfly1]My hubby was just moved to Choice Moore this week and I tried to do a mapquest to the prison but it cannot locate the address. If anyone could provide directions for me once I get to Bonham I would appreciate it.

type this address into mapquest TDCJ-ID Moore Unit
1700 Fm 87
Bonham, tx 75418

Any way get on 75 go past hwy 380 (go around 3.8 miles past
hwy 380) take tx 121 N. which is exit 45 toward Bonham. Go around 25 miles. tx 121 N. then becomes TX-121 go about 6.8 miles Look for tx - 311 spur then Turn left onto tx -311 spur. Go about .4 mile and turn left onto Tx 56 go 1.8 miles and turn right onto fm 87 the unit is 1.5 miles down the road.

The phone number for the moore unit is 903-583-4464 and visititing hours are sat or sun from 8 t0 5 (2 hour visits as usual)

mysticalbtrfly1
01-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Thank you guys all very much. I was going to try mapquest but it seems everytime I use it, it gives me the weirdest directions that sometimes takes you way out of the way.

I will be coming from the waco area. I hate that feeling of having to learn all this stuff over. He was at Gurney in Tennessee Colony for the last 5 months and I learned where to go, where to stay, and now here I go again.

A couple more questions: do either of you guys know if there is a day center or hospitality house anywhere near there?

I will have a couple of people with me that are Not going to be visiting. Do they just stay in the car out in the parking lot or do they have somewhere special they have to be?

Thanks again for all your help, people like you guys make this whole experience just a little less irritable! :thumbsup:

marietx
01-05-2007, 02:41 PM
im honestly not sure about a hospitality house or anything. i know there is a walmart in bonham--shopping could kill some time. or if they head back to mckinney area (about 35 minutes) there are great restaurants, hotels, etc. there.

they will not be allowed to sit in the car in the prison parking lot...i know that much.

mysticalbtrfly1
01-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Just wanted to say thanks again for the directions. I found the place perfectly! Now, if I could just find someone to carpool with cause MAN that's a drive!

I saw my hubby on Saturdy. He got to C. Moore on Tuesday of last week and said so far it's horrible. He said they are way more strict with their rules and the guys freedom inside is even more limited than the last place he was.

However, for me, it was a lot simpler to get in and I didn't have to wait really at all. I was suprised at how many tables there were. Where he came from they only had like 25 spots for regular visitation (which usually meant waiting at least a couple of hours). The guards in visitation seemed a bit more lax as well.

marietx
01-07-2007, 09:05 PM
so glad you found it easily! the visiting room is pretty nice from what i've heard compared to other visiting rooms (this is the only one i've gone to so far)...all except for the vending machines always having issues! :)

i hope your guy settles in quickly and finds his niche. be sure to let me know if you have any other specific Choice Moore questions--i'd be happy to try to help!

joseph's mom
07-23-2007, 09:57 AM
hi to everyone, my son got send here to c.moore unit on 6-26-07. I know excately where it is. Just wanted to ask how have your experiences been when you visit. Thank you, Joseph's mom

marietx
07-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Hi Joseph's Mom--
I think you'll find the visiting room at Choice Moore pretty hospitable. Depends on what guard's are on duty, but they are generally friendly. Very strict about your shirt coming past your hips (can't show stomach when you raise your arms straight up) and not wearing flip flops (can wear open-toe sandals). Also make sure to take any food you get out of the vending machine up to the guard desk and open it there for them to look inside vs. taking it straight to your table.

bjackson
08-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Anyone from E.Texas going to C. Moore & want to share a ride?( Im in Center ,Shelby County ,Tx) My son is there ( Ive never been, dont know where it is) He got there about June 2007 , came from Gurney.Was only there a couple months,wonder if he will be moved again soon?Seem he only stays 2 months & they move him, is that normal?

marietx
08-02-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm not coming from east Texas, but from what I've seen, they are moved 2-3 times as they go through diagnostics and such when they first get into TDCJ. My guy hit Gurney along with another place before coming to Choice Moore. Choice Moore--they tend to stay two years. Its a transfer facility and that is all they CAN stay before being moved to their permanent unit. Hope that helps...

missing1/2me
04-21-2009, 11:24 AM
well guess we all have to start somewhere. My name is aumalia and I havent seen my husband in 7 months. I miss him but I am tring to work out some issues of my own out here he seem to forget that time is not as abundant here at home so he is very uw me i need to see him but am w/out transportation do u live in dallas?

MammaD
05-07-2009, 10:43 AM
mysticalbtrfly1, thanks for the information. I didn't have a clue where it is.