View Full Version : Can a convicted felon travel out of the US or not

Our journey
01-23-2007, 05:59 PM
I had emailed the FLDOC to enquire if my fiance would be able to come to Canada to visit or live as I have heard so many different stories as to what can or cannot happen. I just got an email today from the DCA/Assistant Bureau Chief, Florida Interstate Compact and this was her response.
Offenders are not allowed to leave the United States.

I am floored!?!? Does this mean that someone who commits a crime in the United States, is subject to be a prisioner in thier own country, never to leave again. This cannot be as actors and rappers come for concerts and I know for a fact that several have charges (maybe not felonies)....does anyone know any more on this....I am feeling very sad and down about this. Thanks

goingcrazy70
01-23-2007, 06:36 PM
i think the answer they gave you is right, anyone who goes against the law has to pay for it and in consequence they lose their most preciate right, to be free! I am sorry to know that but i think you should start considering moving to the USA if you want to be with him.

Greengirl6773
01-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Is he discharging or would he be on parole? If he's on parole, I can see it.

Greengirl6773
01-23-2007, 07:04 PM
I just checked out the US Department of State and didn't see anything on the passport information or application about being a felon. http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html
It doesn't even ask on the application whether you've commited a crime.

Our journey
01-23-2007, 07:11 PM
This is what mean, a convicted felon can obtain a passport and as far as when I (personally) have travelled (no criminal history) I have not been hassled. I know its stricter post 9/11 but I just think it is sickening that a person would never be able to again leave the country. As well post 9/11 it is a process to get status in the US.....this is seriously depressing. I will move to the US I just wanted the option of him coming here to meet my family etc.

MomTo5
01-23-2007, 07:29 PM
There was a post about this not long ago that a convicted felon won't be allowed into Canada and they way I understood it, it wasn't a United States law but a Canadian law.

Our journey
01-23-2007, 07:33 PM
This is true.....legally Canada is not 'supposed' admit convicted felons but at this point it is not fully enforced. I was just REALLY hoping there would be some way around this. Looks like I am moving to the states. :(

Shawn's Girl
01-23-2007, 07:41 PM
That is great information, I have never looked into that but we had talked about traveling to Canada but I guess not now. I hope the best of luck to you but what about your family coming down to visit?

Our journey
01-23-2007, 07:45 PM
My family has not been supportive (save my sister) so my hope was that when they could meet him in person, it may help. Them coming to the US to meet him....doubt it. I have nothing against the states but its hard to get status there especially when applying married to a man who is incarcerated AND I have it pretty good here (outside of the cOLD) but what's a girl to do!?!?

honeyg
01-24-2007, 03:09 PM
I don't know about living in another country, that would be up to the country allowing the ex-inmate in. Some countries allow it, some don't. But paroled inmates can get approval to leave the country from the parole board. Again, you have to abide by the rules of the country you want to visit. Just because Canada is lax on enforcing the convicted felon law doesn't mean you should be the one to test it. Not worth your husband potentially losing his freedom again just so your family can meet him.

KayTee
01-24-2007, 03:13 PM
I can only speak for the UK and once someone is off parole etc and can get a passport again, then there are no restrictions for visits. Permanent living here, is another matter.

Marcheville
01-24-2007, 09:25 PM
As long as you are not on probation/parole...if you are "free" and have a felony tag you 1) absolutely can't be denied a passport and 2) Can travel abroad with zero difficulty.:rolleyes:

Sometimes, and I do not mean to sound negative or nasty, the misinformation posted at this site could be easily clarified (in this case, you could call someone at the state department for a "real answer").

:angry:

Foreign countries (like Canada) would not have access to an FBI CORI report so how are they going to know who committed what felonies in the USA? I have a friend who just got back from India and China (which requires a VISA) and he has two distinct drug related felony tags.

Now...whether a foreign country will allow you to "emigrate" to live there in the hopes of becoming a citizen of that country is an entirely different matter. But if you just plan on visiting for vacation or business...you're not going to get stopped or denied entry.

I'm not even sure you can be denied a passport as long as you are a US Citizen anymore than you could be denied a social security card or a state ID/drivers license.

I'm going to be down for a few months next month (for a single felony charge among a bunch of really petty misdemeanor BS). I do a lot of business overseas. The DA has my passport as a part of my bail agreement. However when I get out, I plan to take the woman and spend a couple of weeks in Aruba and then fly on to France and Scotland.

As long as I am not on probation/parole - this is not an issue (and even if I am, it is not an issue for me leaving America - entering a foreign country, it *might* be an issue upon return). When you go through US Customs on the way back, its not like they run your name through an FBI CORI check either.

Additionally, if on probation/parole, if you request to your PO why you need to leave the country, why would your PO deny the request as long as you are not someone giving them a hard time?

Marcheville

Marcheville
01-24-2007, 09:26 PM
I just checked out the US Department of State and didn't see anything on the passport information or application about being a felon.
It doesn't even ask on the application whether you've commited a crime.

Because it is not germane to the issuance of a passport. If you are a citizen and do not have pending charges against you (flight risk) you CAN'T be denied a US passport.

Marchevile

Mrs.Glamma
01-24-2007, 09:32 PM
As long as you are not on parole or probation, you can obtain a passport and travel. If on probation or parole your PO will be holding your passport if you currently have one so you cannot leave/flee.

Marcheville
01-24-2007, 09:33 PM
This is true.....legally Canada is not 'supposed' admit convicted felons but at this point it is not fully enforced. I was just REALLY hoping there would be some way around this. Looks like I am moving to the states. :(

Admit to visit or admit to live forever? Because I can tell you of plenty of convicted felons with federal tags who go to Montreal and party it up on St. Catherine's Street every 6-8 weeks for the weekend and then come back to the states. Just how will the Canuckian government know I am a convicted felon when I cross the border? There is nothing on a passport to identify such (this would be a gross violation of constitutional rights regarding discrimination - do we put race and religion on passports? Heck, No!!!).

My guess is your man will have zero issues visiting you in Canada for up to 30 days at a time then he will need to come back to the states for one day and he can go back to Canada again!

In fact, I will check for you.:thumbsup:

Marcheville

Marcheville
01-24-2007, 09:40 PM
My family has not been supportive (save my sister) so my hope was that when they could meet him in person, it may help. Them coming to the US to meet him....doubt it. I have nothing against the states but its hard to get status there especially when applying married to a man who is incarcerated AND I have it pretty good here (outside of the cOLD) but what's a girl to do!?!?

Your man is inadmissable in Canada to *LIVE* but he can visit for up to 90 days at a time - check with the Canuck embassy in DC.

The Canuck government is VERY strict on giving out permanent residence cards. See below -

Persons who are inadmissible to Canada

Members of Inadmissible Classes include those who have been convicted of MINOR OFFENCES (including shoplifting, theft, assault, dangerous driving, unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of illegal substances, etc.), or of INDICTABLE CRIMINAL OFFENCES (including assault with a deadly weapon, manslaughter, etc.). As well, those who have been convicted of DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED (DWI) are considered Members of an Inadmissible Class. Driving while under the influence of alcohol is regarded as an extremely serious offence in Canada.
Those who have received TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS (including parking/speeding tickets, etc.) and other minor violations (i.e. littering, etc.) most likely will NOT be prohibited from entering Canada. Similarly, those who have JUVENILE CONVICTIONS (convictions for crimes committed while under age 18) most likely will NOT be prohibited from entering Canada unless they could have been tried as an adult for their offences.

Our journey
01-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Being that I am marrying this man I HAVE done my best to do my homework and called the embassy, immigation etc and I was told by someone who worked there that he COULD be denied entry due to the felony conviction. Now I had wondered the same thing......how would they know? Do they have a database? And I knew for a fact that other convicted felons had indeed travelled from the states here to Canada, so I was very confused

I posted here with what I was told by what I believed to be a reliable source (the source) and I was looking here for more information due to my confusion with what I was told by officals and then that of others. I have even been pm'ed with confirmation that felons cannot travel...so I have back and fourth. I know he will be able to get a passport so as was said he/we should not have a problem.

Thank you all for your info as it has helped and at the moment I am hold with immigration and the embassy to once again here the RIGHT answer! This is a big relief to me and I thank for PTO and for the clarification it can bring.

jonnyfive
04-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Links to support what I am saying....
(PS... Change XXX to WWW)
Felons get passports, YES... Barring you are not a convicted drug trafficker who cross international borders to commit said crime.
xxx.travelinsurancereview.net/2010/04/20/international-laws-can-a-convicted-felon-travel-outside-the-us/

What Countries can a felon go to without denial..... Just read this... Canada is pretty much a no... They just suck... Sorry.

xxx.ehow.com/facts_7605484_foreign-felon-go-usa-passport.html

But once you get a passport, you can go pretty much anywhere without issues except for China, Japan, Australia, and Fiji(no vacations for a while!!!)
You CAN get access to those countries.. But lost of paperwork and pre-approval must be performed.

Canada can refuse misdemeanor offenses and DWI's......