View Full Version : Lee Arrendale State Prison Alto ,ga,

kimsmommy
04-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Does Anyone Out There Know Anything About Arrendale As Far As It Being A Rough And Roudy Place? My Daughter Just Got There A Couple A Days Ago.

IrishEyes
04-23-2007, 09:37 AM
KimsMommy- Arrendale, as any other prison in our system is what your daughter makes of it. Doing time is about three things, in my experience.

1. Recognize why you're there and do everything you can to correct your patterns of thoughts, actions and attitudes.
2. Take time to reflect on how to survive the experience.
3. Do what you're told, and trust few.

These three things will help your daughter during her prison time. The chaplain at Arrendale is a good friend of mine and will do what she can to help the ladies adapt. If your daughter is confrontational with other prisoners and staff, she'll have a hard time of things. If she goes to church, keeps her head down and her mouth shut, she'll be fine. If she continually fights, then there will be continual problems. My husband doesn't let people run over him, but doesn't start mess either. If/ when she is confronted by others, she should quietly, and with as much LOGIC as possible, use her brain to keep her from confrontations that could end up with fights, theft, or other situations. Good luck, keep us informed and if you ever need help, let us know.

Kristie

Sunshine's Mom
04-29-2007, 02:39 PM
kimsmommy,

i apologize that i've just now seen your post, as i don't get to the forums very often myself.

my 19 yr. old daughter has been at lee arrendale (AKA "alto") since july 2006.

while i do worry about her because she's both young & very immature, i feel she's doing fairly good. she spent 9 months at dekalb county jail before going thru metro & then to arrendale. she said she is treated much better at arrendale than she was in dekalb, as far as the way the guards, etc. talk to them. she's mentioned a few unpleasant incidents, but i think it's mainly her very immature way & prior emotional problems that leads her to think/feel the way she does sometimes.

she works in the kitchen at night & said she tries to stay out of the main congregation as much as possible because seems there's always a lot of "drama" going on. and i told her she needs to keep her mouth shut about her personal stuff & not get too close to anyone. but it's doubtful she's taken my advice to heart. she finally got into the GED program last month, as i had been totally upset over that, because the judge made it mandatory part of her sentence & they penny annyed around about not getting her started in classes, saying there was no room for her. i was afraid it might deter any chance of her possible PIC date of parole this november if she hadn't even started classes. so i'm glad to see they finally got her into class.

but overall, from what she tells me it is much better there than it was in the county jail.

it's doubly hard on me because i live out of state & i'm disabled & cannot drive the 8 hour one-way drive to visit & i've only seen her one time for a very brief 20 minutes since april/may 2005. thats a long long time to go without seeing your child, especially when they're as young as she is. :(
and i've had to cut her phone calls way down because they were costing me almost $20.00 for each 15 minutes.

but if i can offer you any advice/help, please stay in touch. it's nice to finally see someone here that has a loved one at the same facility as my daughter!

kathy121
05-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Hi, I sure hate they have your daughter so far away from you. Do they not try to transfer her closer to where she has family?

stillfree
05-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Hi there,

I saw your post, and I wish I'd seen it sooner. I served several months at Lee Arrendale, from May 2005 until December 2005 when I was transferred to the Transitional Center.

Of the three prisons that women are transferred to, Lee Arrendale was certainly the 'easiest'. It is typically for low to medium security inmates, but it's my understanding this may have changed since they opened up the other unit for pre-diagnostics and lockdown inmates.

However, Lee Arrendale is/was a very easy going institute. It's true, as Sunshine's Mom said, that the COs at Arrendale were nice than that of the other institutes. I think this is partially because most worked there when it was a mens' facility and have found women easier to deal with.

The advice that Irish Eyes gave is very true - it doesn't matter where someone does their time, because you are going to be in the same environment no matter where you do your time. The key is for her to focus on HERSELF and no one else. Keep your head down, find a way to keep busy. Stay out of drama. Use your gut instincts and trust few. I know its harsh, but it's true. I made very good friends in prison, but will admit I was taken advantage of a handful of times. It's easy to fall into someone's trap.

Also, as Irish Eyes said, the Chaplain at Arrendale is fantastic. I am not a religious person, but I belonged to several of her groups at the Transitional Center (before she transferred to Arrendale) simply because she was very uplifting and gave sound, real world advice. I would most definitely suggest your daughter seek guidance from her.

If you have any questions, want more information, need someone to talk to who's been there, whatever... please feel free to contact me. I know it can't be easy for you being in this situation. Good luck to you and your daugther.

Take care.