View Full Version : Ellis Unit - Texas Prison Resource Thread

Kay
05-05-2007, 03:40 PM
General Information

Ellis Unit houses a maximum of 2,337 Male Offenders.

Custody Levels Housed

G1-G5, Administrative Segregation, Outside Trusty.

Kay
05-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Ellis Unit Contact Information

Ellis Unit
1697 FM 980
Huntsville TX 77343

Telephone

936-295-5756

Senior Warden

Eileen Kennedy

Regional Director

Robert Treon Region I

CI Division Deputy Director

Rodney Cooper

Kay
05-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Items You May Send to Ellis Unit

You are allowed to send letters and cards to offenders. Subscriptions to magazines and newspapers are also allowed. Books can be sent from a book store but not by you personally. If you are in doubt about what is acceptable in the way of books, magazines or anything else please call the unit mail room and ask them if what you want to send will be allowed. It is better to call and be sure than to spend money on something the offender might not be able to have. You may send envelopes and writing paper from an approved vendor but not from you personally. Something you might want to remember is that when you send envelopes the offender is required to put his name on each envelope when they are given to him. If you send 50 then he will be expected to stand there and write his name on all 50 of them. Most things that are printed from the Internet such as word searches and puzzles are allowed.

Items you may not send to Ellis Unit

You may not send any personal items, clothing, stamps, or stamped envelopes. Any time you are in doubt about what you want to mail please call the unit mail room and ask.

Kay
05-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Ellis Unit Visiting Information

Visits are allowed on Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 AM until 5:00 PM Most visits are for 2 hours and may be contact or non-contact depending on the offenders status.

If you must travel more than 300 miles you might qualify for a Special Visit. To arrange a special visit call the Wardens Office. Be sure and get the name of who you talk to (usually warden's secretary). They will arrange the visit if it is possible and ask you to call back for confirmation. Inmates are allowed ONLY one visit per weekend unless it is a special visit. It is always a good idea to call ahead before any visit to be sure that your friend or family member is still at that unit and is allowed visits.

Dress Code For Visitors

No revealing clothing is allowed, no shorts for men or women, Capri pants must come WELL below the knee. No sleeveless or low cut shirts or blouses are allowed. Clothing that is too tight or inappropriate in any way can prevent you from visiting. Some units do not allow children to wear shorts. If this is an issue for you please call ahead and ask about the dress code for children. Sandals are allowed at this time but many units are starting to disallow them so tennis shoes or the like are safest. Please be aware that if you violate the dress code your visit may not be allowed. Please be aware that the dress code is being changed as I write this. Some Units no longer allow Capri pants and some no longer allow sandals. If you are in doubt about what to wear please call the unit and check with them.

Rules For Visitation

When you enter the unit don't take anything in with you except your Drivers License, car keys, and $20.00 in quarters in a clear plastic bag. Your car may be searched as you enter and leave the unit. This policy varies at each unit. You may or may not be wand searched before entering the Ellis Unit. Some units have metal detectors that you walk through. Anyone visiting (including children) are subject to being searched. Please do not carry your cell phone in with you. This can cause your visits to be terminated permanently. If in doubt about anything call the unit for more information. Be aware that the address that the offender gives for you MUST match the address on your drivers license or ID. I have seen visitors turned away because the addresses didn't match.

Kay
05-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Hospitality Houses Near Ellis Unit

(936) 291-6196
912 10th Street
Huntsville, TX 77320

Agency Head: Bob Norris, Chaplain-Director

Area Served: Huntsville
Parent Organization:
Texas Baptist Prisoner Family Ministry Foundation
Provides overnight lodging, information
and referrals, gifts for children, religious ministry,
technical assistance, and family reunification support.

Kay
05-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Restauraunts/Fast Food Near Ellis Unit

This unit is located near I-45 and the following places are only a partial listing of what is available.
Burger King
Church's Chicken
Dairy Queen
Domino's Pizza
Long John Silvers
Sonic
Subway
Chili's
Denny's
IHOP
Most of these places are either on I-45 or very near it.

Kay
05-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Hotels/Motels Near Ellis Unit

This is only a partial Listing and there are many hotels/motels in the area.

Comfort Inn 1-800-228-5150
Econo Lodge 1-800-55ECONO
Gateway Inn 936-295-7595
Motel 6 1-800-4MOTEL6

Resort Area with Rooms and Cabins

Bethany Creek 1-800-537-6251

Huntsville State Park

There are 200 campsites and some have RV hook-ups. 936-295-5644

Kay
05-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Driving Directions To Ellis Unit

This Unit is located 12 miles North of Huntsville at 1697 FM 980 in Walker County.

Kay
05-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Things to Do Near Ellis Unit

The worlds tallest statue is located in Huntsville TX. It is a statue of of Sam Houston and is 67' tall and stands on a 10' sunset granite base.It was constructed 10-22-1994. You will want to be sure you have a camera when you visit.

Texas Prison Museum

This is a very interesting place to visit and I have personally visited it twice. It is located on Highway 75 South and from I-45 take exit 109 or 112.

Visitors Center at Sam Houston Statue

The center is open M-F 10 AM-5 PM. Sunday 11 AM-5 PM
On weekends from March-May it is open until 6:00 PM

The Walker County Fair, Rodeo,and BBQ cook-off is held annually in Huntsville. Downtown Huntsville has many shops and areas to enjoy. The Sam Houston University is located in Huntsville.

Kay
05-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Phone Calls At Ellis Unit

Offenders are allowed one phone call every 90 days if thier status allows. Calls are carried out on a speaker phone so the guards can listen in.

Kay
05-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Ellis Unit Parole Information

The Ellis Unit comes under the Huntsville Parole Board.
1300 11th Street Suite 520 PO Box 599
Huntsville TX 77342-0599

Telephone/Fax

936-291-2161
Fax 936-291-8367

IPO Information For Ellis Unit

Ellis Unit comes under the Central IPO region.
Regional Supervisor
Phillip Doughty
Huntsville IPO
1650 7th Street
Huntsville TX 77320
Phone: 936-291-4014
Fax: 936-291-8371

Kay
05-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Any Transportation Available to Ellis Unit

I wasn't able to find any public transportation to this unit

Kay
05-05-2007, 04:04 PM
FAQ

This unit was established in July 1965. It is located on Approximately 11,327 acres. Ellis and Estelle work in cooperation: Cotton Gin, Cow/Calf Operation, Egg Laying Operation, Farm Shop, Field Crops, Security Horses/Dogs, Unit Garden, Swine Farrowing, Nursery and Fnishing Operation. Manufacturing includes a Bus Repair Shop, Farm Shop, Garment Factory, Woodworking Shop, Texas International Hardwood and Veneer, Inc. Region I Maintenance Headquarters, Region I asbestos, Unit Maintenance. This Unit also serves as a In-Service Training Facility.