View Full Version : Parole Eligibility Date

Meowlvr
09-28-2003, 01:27 PM
I just got my brothers parole eligibility date off the 1-800 number. It is much sooner than I thought it would be. It seems so obvious, but what exactly does it mean? Does anyone actually walk out the door on that date. And how long do they usually stay at a transfer facility like Gurney? Should our family be sending in letters on his behalf to the parole board? Any advice would be helpful.

biscuitmom
09-28-2003, 02:04 PM
My son was at gurney for 30 days; I've known others to stay as few as 9 or as many as 40 days.

See this link for the parole process:
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/publications/parole/parole_in_tx/pit-rvw_prcsschrts.htm

The parole eligibility date isn't the date he'll be released. It's a 'trigger' for the review process to start. Some reviews start earlier than the eligibility date, some later - my son's started one month after his. You can call the parole status line - 512-406-5202 - to see if yours has started yet. You can send parole support anytime, probably no hurry tho - if he's just arrived at Gurney, you have plenty of time.

Once started, the review process usually takes 4-6 month. IF he makes parole, it still takes a while to get the certificate typed, etc. Some are given an FI (further investigation) with a date several months away.

lel
09-28-2003, 04:18 PM
What is a FI2? Further investigation second level?

kprofthestars
09-28-2003, 06:24 PM
Ok, his eligibility date was August 19th, what does this mean? He was still in county at that time

biscuitmom
09-28-2003, 06:52 PM
As far as I know, this is still good info:

An FI-1 decision grants parole approval for release of an offender anytime on or after the date he or she becomes eligible for parole release by law.

An FI-2 decision grants parole approval for release of an offender on or after a specified date established by the Board panel making the decision.

An FI-3 decision grants parole approval for release of an offender upon completion of a TDCJ Rehabilitation Program and not earlier than the specified date established by the Board panel making the decision.

An FI-4 decision grants parole approval with a Pre-release on or after a specified date established by the Board panel making the decision.

An FI-5 decision grants parole approval for release to an offender upon completion of the In-Prison Therapeutic Community Program (IPTC).

An FI-6R decision grants parole approval for release of an offender upon completion of a TDCJ Rehabilitation Program and not earlier than the date established by the Board panel making the decision

An FI-9R decision grants parole approval for release of an offender upon completion of a TDCJ Rehabilitation Program and not earlier than the specified date established by the Board panel making the decision.

An FI-18R decision grants parole approval for release of an offender upon completion of a TDCJ Rehabilitation Program and not earlier than the specified date established by the Board panel making the decision.

biscuitmom
09-28-2003, 06:57 PM
His review could have started while he was in county, my son's did (his eligibility date was 6/22, they started review 7/27, but he wasn't moved from county to tdc until 7/31). The only way to know for sure if they've started his review is to call & ask.

>>>>Ok, his eligibility date was August 19th, what does this mean? He was still in county at that time

kprofthestars
09-28-2003, 07:05 PM
Not the 800? But the other one? HIs charge is non agg. He had no priors. I know my brother in law went in and did 30 days in the transfer unit and then got released. The regular status line isnt open on Sunday is it? I know I know I ask a lot of questions lol Sorry. I just want to know so I can tell Jenny. She would be happy. I was glad of one thing, they did give him credit for his county time. I was afraid it would be "dead" time.

lin88jon
09-28-2003, 07:39 PM
I suggest that ya'll read the post "Notes from TIFA Meeting w/Parole Board Member." According to Paul Keil, a board member, they can now start reviewing an inmates file up to 4 months prior to their eligibility date. And, he says that the time for us to start sending letters is when we hear that the IPO has visited our loved one. Blessings!

biscuitmom
09-28-2003, 08:12 PM
Yes, they CAN start the review ahead of the eligibility date but legally they don't have to and remember this is TDC we're tallking about! The shortage seems to have triggered more timely, but not exactly early, reviews.

I was at the TIFA mtg and I've talked to Mr. Kiel twice about parole reviews in general. My impression is that he strives to be objective and he chooses his words v-e-r-y carefully.

kprofthestars
09-28-2003, 08:57 PM
I know this is a stupid question, but is kidnapping a violent offense? I would think it is. GEEZ! This isnt even MY son and Im worried about him. Maybe my " son in law" one day. I think I am mainly worried about jen. She has all but put her life on hold for this boy, and she has never even had the first date with him, but shes wanted him since she was 15 and now shes 18. GRRR Any advice moms?

Nicks Angel
09-29-2003, 08:38 PM
ok my husband just got paroled. i was on the phone constantly with Huntsville parole and the other people trying to figure this all out. the 800 gives you the expected date. after the review if the inmate makes parole then that is after the big interview and all there is an investigation to the home where they are going. then the paperwork is sent in and they have to wait for a reply with a release date. so after they are aproved they are released on a a fI 1 in aprox 6 to 8 weeks from the day of the vote, not the date of the thing on the recording. that is just a given estimated time to hope for i guess. a time that they are elligable. the state is slow and take their time. My husband was eligably before tdc even picked him up from county. he was arrested in Feb. Sentenced in March, and taken to tdc in may. He was elligible for parole the day after he was sentenced. He got parole and i am expecting the officer tommorrow to come to the house for the face to face. The way that i understand the fI1's and 2's and all is 1 is 45 days fI2 is 60 days and so on. that is the way they explained it to my husband too.

lin88jon
09-29-2003, 08:54 PM
biscuitmom,

I am quite sure that Kiel does choose his words very carefully. From what I am told, that points system assessment deal that he went over with us is nothing but something to stick in our faces in hopes that we will believe it. I am told that they don't use it! I don't believe anything that comes out of their mouths, but some do. Blessings,

RyansGirl
09-30-2003, 05:17 PM
My man is still waiting for the boards answer, is there anything more I can do whele we wait???

kprofthestars
09-30-2003, 06:51 PM
Ok y'all I am having major blonde moments. Please explain to me what an f1 and f2 are? Which catagory does non agg kidnapping fall into?

biscuitmom
10-01-2003, 08:02 AM
Perhaps you mean FI1 and FI2?
See my post above.

An FI-1 means they're released when the paperwork & preliminaries are done - no specified date.
An FI-2 includes a specified date on or after which they'll be released.

The agg kid charge has nothing to do with the parole category they're given.

CenTexLyn
10-01-2003, 11:36 AM
New kid on the block here...and a former longtime employee that worked through several revisions to the statutes.

Parole eligibility is simply a mathematical calculation that looks at sentence begin date and the statutory provisions that were in effect at the time the offense was committed. It is theoretically possible to have a PED that predates the actual date of sentencing.

PED is the earliest date by law that someone can be released.

Remember also that calculations cannot be performed for parole eligibility until the county has sent the information to the TDCJ State Ready system in Huntsville. Some counties are notoriously slow about getting that information transferred over...

As to the Static and Dynamic Risk assessments, they are marginally more reliable than the old "80" scores. They are still a work in progress, and the offense severity guidelines have been revised on several occasions. There really is nothing that can be done to increase the scores, and I have always had fundamental issues with the additive value assessed for Minimum In as opposed to Minimum Out status- it fails to account for the population that is either too newly received for MO consideration or who are only restricted from MO by policy. Back on track, the Risk Assessment Scoring was designed to give more flexibility instead of the Board members having to justify favorable votes when there was less than an 80 score.

kprofthestars
10-01-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by biscuitmom
[B

The agg kid charge has nothing to do with the parole category they're given. [/B]
You mean NON agg kidnapping. Sorry, anyways man this is so new to me I am lost. I know I am a pain in the ass but I just need to know as I'm sure do the rest of you! This is my daughter's boyfriend and she is putting her life on hold for him. I just want to know if shes going to be waiting a long time and if so I want her to move on with life. If not, then I think she should wait. She loves him I am at a loss y'all. And Jennifer if you read this, just know I Love you and want what is best for you!

biscuitmom
10-01-2003, 03:24 PM
CenTxLyn, amen on the MO issue...it's a double bogie for some offenses.
I've found some partial lists of the Offense Severity ratings - is there a full one online or can you tell me the # to call to get the ratings for the more uncommon ones?

CenTexLyn
10-01-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by biscuitmom
CenTxLyn, amen on the MO issue...it's a double bogie for some offenses.
I've found some partial lists of the Offense Severity ratings - is there a full one online or can you tell me the # to call to get the ratings for the more uncommon ones?

When the Board formalized the most recent revisions, they placed a full list on the BPP website. Seems to me the revision date was circa August 25. It printed out at 39 pages and was very similar to what SRT used when they did the initial research at the time of the new system being implemented.

For a short period of time, there was a two or three page list on the BPP website that contained the most common offenses. The most recent list should cover all offenses for which someone can be placed in a Texas prison (complete with NCIC codes if you had cause for that info).

biscuitmom
10-01-2003, 08:56 PM
I went back to the bpp site and sure nuff the full list is there now.
Thanks!

kprofthestars
10-02-2003, 09:23 AM
Ok wait........... I am confused. CenTexLyn you seem to understand all this stuff can you help me? if he had never been in trouble before, not even a traffic ticket, he had a full time job which he had had for quite awhile when he got locked up, I'm not sure if he finished school or not, and his offense severity rating is "H" I dont understand the scoring! Of course the rest has to do with him while in there, and I dont know anything about that other than from his letters. I dont think hes gotten into any trouble. would his score be favorable? maybe?

CenTexLyn
10-02-2003, 09:51 AM
kprofthestars...

Offenses are all given one of four rankings- low, medium, high, or H+. Those are based not on the specific facts of the case but rather the title of the offense itself.

The Risk Assessment Scoring (the Static and Dynamic values) are placed in a matrix with the offense severity rankings to get an expected voting range (the information most of y'all are probably familiar with is the 7-point matrix, but there were expected percentages that correspond to each of those values in the matrix).

As an example, a high offense severity ranking with a score in the low risk category on the Risk Assessment Scoring could rationally be expected to have favorable votes in 36-50% of similar cases.

The two areas that adversely impact on a lot of files are the Minimum In vs Minimum Out (G1 vs G2 under the new system of classification) and the additive points for age (goes back to the theories of aging out of criminal conduct, so the older an offender is the lower the additive value).

I know someone had posted the general scoring forms elsewhere, and I think I saw the matrix somewhere around here, although it may be on the BPP website (its early in the morning and the caffeine hasn't kicked in yet ;) )...hopefully that helps put some of the stuff into context.

kprofthestars
10-02-2003, 11:29 AM
Thanks. I guess it is too early LOL that or I am having MAJOR blonde moments OR BOTH! I didnt understand ANY of that. I will wait and read it again ;ater maybe it will make more sense then. I guess no matter what, the only thing we can actually do is is WAIT! They are only gonna let him out when THEY see fit no matter what anyways. we need to be thankful that he's not still charged with Capital Murder!
Thank you for your time to try and explain this to me. I'm thinking he is acutlly going to have favorable scoring, but that too just stands on the premise we just gotta wait!

angel84
01-09-2004, 04:16 AM
Thank you CenTexLyn for helping me locate this. I cried when I found that they considered my son's crime high risk. But it is better that I had that information as I work on his support letter.

As of Jan. 2004 there was a link to the file from this page:
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/new_parole_guidelines/new_parole_guidelines.html

It is a pdf file (meaning you need the free Adobe Reader to view it). The free veiwer is http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

The pdf file until they revise the website again is here:
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/new_parole_guidelines/Final%20NCIC%20Ranking%20_8-27-03_.pdf