View Full Version : Are these Tattoos Gang related?

onyx306
09-30-2003, 05:58 AM
A friend of mine just this past week got sent to a reception center here in Florida and when I look him up on DOCs site, I couldn't help but notice the listing of his tattoos, most of which were acquired while he was in county for a year and a half. I am just curious to know if any of them are gang related; he has one that says NAZI, 100% cracker , a clover and SNS.. So if anyone knows if those are any indication of a specific group or am I just crazy?

daisydeadpetals
09-30-2003, 07:01 AM
(i'm going to try to be as pollitically correct as i know how but i apologize if i offend anyone. the info that i will be stating came from my boyfriend who is half black)

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i do believe that your friend me be a white supremisist. "cracker" is a slang/derogative term for a white person. typically it would be a black person using that term. my boyfriend calls me that jokingly sometimes. "NAZI" should spek for itself, but "clover" and "SNS" i've never heard of. i don't think he's i a gang neccessarily but it definetly shows who he rides with and what "car" he's in while he's in prison. hope this helps.

flygirlaa2
09-30-2003, 07:13 AM
I think these are questions you need to ask your boyfriend. Here is one link to a clover tattoo, but only your boyfriend will know the meaning....

www.adl.org/hate_symbols/tattoo_aryan_brotherhood_clover.asp

jimmyzluv
09-30-2003, 07:23 AM
Florida DOC site has info on street gangs as well as prison gangs including the different tattoos associated with them. I didn't see any that matched your descriptions so they may not be gang related. However, from talking to a friend who is an ex-inmate they do sound like "political ink". My friend was in Arizona DOC and he recognized all of them.

onyx306
09-30-2003, 08:46 AM
Thanks everyone, I was just worried about this dude because he is an old friend. I figured he was just trying to fit in, my fiance has been in prison four years and he's never taken up with such people. I did find out what it means, the SnS is actually 2 S's with a lightning bolt, this is the same tattoo that Hitlers secret service had, same goes for the lightning bolt under the 100% cracker. So I suppose he decided to face his decades in prison as a member of a white suprimecy group...I am complete disagreence with his choice, but I doubt seriously if he would even listen to me at this point..Anyways, thank you guys!

KTC
09-30-2003, 10:11 PM
IM thinking hes with the white gangs like arronbrotherhood, or nazi low riders . But thats only some here in cali not sure about the rest. I mean whoever puts NAZI on him comon now, hes into something there or like my man when he went ot jail he started talking MOR about hitler and nazi's and white this and that, they put stuff in thier minds and try to get them to be in this gang or that gang. Your friends thing, but id suggest to him NOT being in a gang in prison, yea they might back u up at times, but u gotta retuen the favor and i think it gets ya in worse trouble. ktc

KTC
09-30-2003, 10:12 PM
** sorry thats the Aryan Brotherhood***, theres also mexican mafia which SOME whites go in also. ktc

KTC
09-30-2003, 10:25 PM
ONYX i forgot to add heres a website that gives alot of info. on gang tattoos and about flordia prisons and thier gangs,.

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/gangs/prison.html#ab

good info. ktc

onyx306
10-01-2003, 07:53 AM
Thanks KTC for the info and the link. I sat down last night and wrote a loonngg letter to my friend, I wasn't sure what all I could refer to about everything without the mailroom thinking something was up, so I tried to be discreet as possible...Something tells me he's too far gone though...

Margaret
10-03-2003, 10:12 PM
Hi everyone, hey, I've been wanting to ask too, does anyone know what a spider web tatoo means? I've heard a while back it means you killed someone, but it was supposed to be on your elbow.
I ask because when I checked the inmate locater of two of my penpals, it described their tatoos and they both had spider webs, however, not on the elbow, one on his foot and the other on his forearm.

I looked at this link you posted flygirl, and searched for spider weband it said it meant you wre racist and killed a 'minority'. But it also said some people just don't know any better and get it not realizing what it means. But, does it really mean that?

Are these guys both in a white supremist gang thing, have they both killed someone? or is this just coincidence they just got it and don't realize it has meaning?

Also the guy that had it on his foot had read that his foot used to be 'not tamin', but now is spider web. What does that mean??

I don't know. They are both in Iowa. I dont know what things are like over there. So far the only info I have is that they both seem normal with no real clues of any 'gang affiliation' type of stuff. They are also both 40. So wouldn't they be too old to be in a gang doing all that things anyway?

Of course they could be just representing their best behaviour and not telling me other things. I still am curious though. I want to know, did they kill someone? Are they racist? do they belong to a gang? If they ever did, were, they would neve tell me, I;m sure. I am only left to guess. What do you think?

Margaret
10-03-2003, 10:15 PM
Also, in addition to spider web, one has 13 flaming skulls on his wrist. Is that something too?

KTC
10-04-2003, 05:23 PM
Haha margaret your a trip girl, calm down. A tattoo is just that a TATTOO. It could possible mean they killed someone, is that gonna stop u from talking to them? It could also just be a design, i use to draw those all the time and for stuff and i never thought it meant racists or gang stuff. Never heard of that. Maybe he USE to be in a gang, or WAS racists, but maybe not no more.

Why dont u ask them yoursleves, they should be truthful, esp. if there 40. And i very much doubt thier still in a gang if there 40. I have 2 pen pals i write, pretty cool guys, and i asked them questions and they told me, yes they USE to be in gangs, and thats why thier in prison for one life term and the other 11 years. And i still wirte them cuz who cares, u can find those kinda people on the outside also. So if they are, or were, i dont see the big deal in them telling ya about it. But if they were in a gang, is or were racists, and did kill someone, does that change the way u think about them now? Would u stop writing them? I mean people arnt just in prison cuz they steal candy now, majority of people u talk to are gonna have some serious crime they commited and is paying for, esp. if there 40 and still in thier.

All i can say is ASK them and see what they say, dont get all paraniod, its no biggie, ALOT are and were in gangs, ALOT are or were racists ( its kinda hard not to be while in prison), and SOME did kill people, so i dont know what to tell ya. And about the whole skull flame thing, that sounds pretty tight, id like to see that, and no doesnt sound like anything bad, sounds like a cool tattoo. Take a chill pill, breath and dont worry, tattoos are art, not bad things, they mean stuff some of the time, if your curious, just ask, im sure they love to tell ya and would be suprised and happy u were interested in the first place.

BTW = ONYX your welcome:)

louise1120
10-04-2003, 06:20 PM
I think my brother is in a prison gang..Mexican mafia...moms told me he is now covered with tats!

giggles4ver
10-04-2003, 09:18 PM
I have heard that that the spider web tats are to show that you have served time in prison.

Jus' Mom
10-08-2003, 12:59 AM
This link shows pics of all kinds of tats and what they mean (not just gang)

http://www.gangtattoos.com/

Bethie_Boo
10-08-2003, 07:18 PM
ummm honey yea thats Aryan tattoos

SaraSmile
10-08-2003, 08:15 PM
My ex came out with a huge spider web in his right elbow...never knew what it meant.
Sara

Jus' Mom
10-12-2003, 04:57 PM
onyx306: he has one that says NAZI,
100% cracker , a clover and SNS.
Margaret: spider web tatoo means? Margaret: 13 flaming skulls on his wrist SaraSmile: huge spider web in his right elbow
Gang Tattoos: Signs of Belonging and the Transience of Signs http://www.shutitdown.net/gangtattoos/index.html Nothing symbolizes gang members' commitment to their gangs more forcefully than the gang tattoo. These symbols proclaim the individual's allegiance to the group in a way that is both permanent and deeply personal-being written on the body itself. -But while society has often imposed tattoos in order to identify the tattooed as criminals, many people have also embraced these stigmatizing marks. Being an outlaw can be a source of pride as well as shame. Gang members in particular take pride in branding themselves as outside of the boundaries of conventional society. It is significant, however, that tattoos were not imposed on these groups, but chosen by them as a means of self-identification and, often, a symbol of belonging.For gang members, however, tattoos are a way of both asserting membership in the gang and flaunting their lack of membership in straight society. For this reason, street gang members will often get tattoos on their hands and faces so as to permanently bar them from being a part of normal society. The larger and more prominent the tattoo, the harder it is to hide, the more impressive it is to other gang members. For this reason, two of the most widespread gang tattoos are often found on the most visible parts of the body: the hands and the face. For example, 18th Street gang member Sergio Ochoa tattooed the numbers "187" (the California Penal Code section which refers to murder) above his eye after being convicted of a 1990 killing of a rival gang member. A common tattoo among Hispanic gang members from many different gangs is the pachuco cross tattooed on the hand between the thumb and index finger. Alternatively, the same area is often embellished with three dots in a pyramid shape, a symbol that stands for "mi vida loca," "my crazy life." Southeast Asian gangsters have adopted the same tattoo of the three dots, defining its meaning as "To O Can Gica," or "I care for nothing." In Cuban prisons the same tattoo declares that the wearer's criminal aptitude is in larceny.
The most common tattoo among gangsters of all nationalities is one that denotes the gang that they are in. This is seen as the mark of lifelong membership. The gang ethos of "blood in, blood out"-the idea that the prospective member must kill someone as the price of admission to the gang and cannot leave except by dying himself-is embodied in the tattoo as a sign of permanent belonging to the gang. Indeed, in some gangs the gang tattoo must be earned by completing a serious mission or hit for the gang. Often gang tattoos will simply say the name of the gang that the wearer is in, usually in Old English lettering or script. Often the gang name will be slightly disguised by giving it an assigned number. For example, the Nortenos will often use 14, X4, XIV (all denoting the 14th letter of the alphabet, N) in their tattoos. Surenos affiliated with the Mexican Mafia (La eMe) use the number 13, X3, and XIII (for M, the 13th letter of the alphabet). The Vice Lords of Chicago are often recognizable by their tattoos of the number 312, which is the Chicago area code. The 18th Street gang of Los Angeles, not surprisingly, uses the number 18. (Incidentally, they will sometimes beat their prospective members for 18 seconds as a way to "jump them in.") -Gangs also find other ways to identify themselves without using their full gang names. The Nortenos use the Spanish word for "fourteen," "catorce." The Surenos (Sureno means "southerner," for Southern California) sometimes use the Aztec language, Nahuatl, in their tattoos. "Kan," for example, means "South," and "Kanpol" means "Southerner." They will also use Aztec numerology to denote the number 13. .
In addition to advertising gang membership, tattoos can tell other details about the bearer, including rank in the gang and number of "hits" or other services performed on the gang's behalf. Which side of the body the tattoo is on also carries significance. Tattoos can also tell more personal details about gang members' lives, such as memorials to deceased loved ones, the names and birthdates of their children, what country or region they are from, and how many of their loved ones have died while they were incarcerated. A common tattoo among gang members is a small teardrop below the eye. Although some take this symbol to mean that the bearer has killed someone, others use it to show that someone close to the bearer has died, especially if this occurred while the tattooed individual was incarcerated. Tattoos are also used to express gang members' often fatalist philosophy of life. One popular tattoo among Hispanic gangsters is a depiction of the smiling and crying comedy and tragedy masks, meaning, "play now and pay later," or "my happy life, my sad life." Clock faces are also found within the intricate artwork that can make up a gangster's tattoos. If the clock has no hands, it symbolizes doing time in prison. The hands can be on specific numbers to signify the gang alliance; for example, a Norteno might be emblazoned with a clock face with one hand on the one, and the other on the four to signify "14." Tombstones are also common. Many gang members will get one tombstone tattooed for each year that they are incarcerated. The tombstones are inscribed with the year of freedom that was lost. Tombstones with "R.I.P." and a date show the loss of a loved one. Often these tattoos are reserved for fellow gang members who were killed in gang related violence. A tattoo of a cell window through which one can see the sun or birds flying signify that the bearer is waiting to get out of prison. A similar Russian prison gang tattoo depicts birds flying in the sun rising over the ocean's horizon, meaning, "I was born free and should again be free." For gangs, the use of tattoos as a means of group identification can be a life or death matter. Nowhere is that more true than in the case of gangs within penal institutions, a world in which tattoos can be particularly important.Upon being sent to prison, many people who were not previously members of gangs quickly find that their survival "on the inside" depends on their membership in a prison gang. "Certain tattoos inspire fear and respect and give the wearer an abrasive edge," says Douglas Kent Hall in his book, Prison Tattoos. "In prison, that edge becomes reason enough for acquiring them. Inmates take risks for security. A few well-chosen motorcycle gang tattoos might make life in tough cellblocks a lot safer and easier. On the other hand, a convict caught wearing gang tattoos fraudulently may suffer serious disgraces and even get himself killed." Because of the high percentage of prisoners who are in gangs, much of the tattoo work done inside prisons should be considered gang tattoos.Street gangs often have factions inside of prisons, and in fact many street gangs, such as the Surenos, Nortenos, and Aryan Brotherhood, have their roots in prison gangs. But while street gangs allow for diversity, prison gangs tend to be race-based. Street gangs generally revolve around a specific neighborhood or turf, so their racial makeup reflects that of their neighborhood. Of course the neighborhoods in which they are based are often segregated, leading to same-race gangs, but the focus of the gang is not primarily racial. Gangs inside prisons, by contrast, are sharply divided along racial lines and are often race-based in nature, such as the Mexican Mafia, Aryan Warriors, and Black Guerrilla Family.As a result, whereas street gangs' tattoos are commonly neighborhood- or turf-affiliated, gang tattoos made in prison are often as race-based as the gangs they represent. -For example, many of the black prison gangs, such as the Black Guerrilla Family and its spin-off, 415, also known as the Kumi African Nation, use symbols of Africa-including pictures of the continent itself-in their tattoos. For example, a popular tattoo among members of the Kumi African Nation depicts a yero, or African Warrior, rising up out of an outline of the continent of Africa. In his left hand he holds a machine gun, and in his right he holds a flag bearing the numbers 415. These images reflect the African orientation of both the Black Guerrilla Family and the Kumi African Nation, which both encourage their members to learn Mau Mau history and words drawn from the Swahili language, which they use to communicate with each other in ways that will not be accessible to outsiders. Two of the strongest Hispanic prison gangs-The Mexican Mafia (La eMe), and MRU- Mi Raza Unida (My United People)-use a symbol drawn from the Mexican flag, the snake and eagle as their emblem, and will usually incorporate this into their tattoos. The founder of MRU, Ernest Mercado, was allegedly killed outside of prison by a member of the Mexican Mafia for adopting the same snake and eagle symbol that the Mexican Mafia used and believed they had exclusive rights to. Many Hispanic gangsters are also tattooed with Aztec imagery, such as the popular image of an Aztec warrior carrying an unconscious maiden. This reflects their vision of their heritage; by the same token, some members of the Mexican Mafia have actually learned the Aztec language, Nahuatl, as a means to communicate privately with one another. Within prisons, white gangs have a prominence that they do not enjoy on the outside. Because of their minority status within the penal system, many whites who would not otherwise consider gang membership or devote themselves to the "white race" feel compelled to join a gang for their own safety. Under those circumstances, visible identification as a member of the protecting gang in the form of a tattoo becomes an important way to guarantee personal safety. -The first white prison gangs emerged during the 1950s in the California prison system, a development that eventually led to the formation of the Aryan Brotherhood-one of the most famous and brutal prison gangs. (Figure 4 A common tattoo of the Aryan Brotherhood incorporates a shamrock, "666" (the "mark of the beast") and the letters "AB.") -Many white gangs use Irish, Viking and German symbolism in their tattoos, regardless of the gang members' actual pedigree. The Aryan Brotherhood's common tattoos feature shamrocks, Nazi emblems such as swastikas and "SS" lightning bolts, Viking heads, and the slogan "Sinn Fein," which in Gaelic means, "we stand alone." Tattoos in prison are done one of two ways. First is the freehand method. Using India ink or ink derived from "soot created by burning plastic eating utensils mixed with Prell shampoo and water," the tattoo is applied using a needle or piece of sharp wire in small dots. These tattoos are noticeably crude and can often appear childish. More ambitious prison practitioners are able to attain very professional-looking results using tattoo machines made out of, for example, a Walkman motor, a hollowed out pen, a guitar string or wire from a lighter, and a battery. These bits of everyday junk can be put together to create tattoos that are the equal of many high-quality commercial efforts. Teenagers who may have no idea of these symbols' original meaning are now wearing tattoos that were originally worn by gang members as badges of honor. -A case in point is the spider web tattooed on one's elbow. Among gang members, this tattoo was a code, readable by other gangsters in prison and on the outside, showing that the bearer had served serious time in the penitentiary. In some parts of the country the same tattoo meant that the wearer had killed a member of a minority group. In fact, James Burmeister was convicted in 1995 of killing a black couple, an act he committed solely because he wanted to wear the spider web tattoo that was popular among members of the Aryan Brotherhood. -But while this tattoo holds powerful and specific significance for gang members, to the middle class that has co-opted the symbol it has no meaning beyond the idea that it is simply "cool." Thus Robert Van Winkle (formerly famous as the rapper Vanilla Ice) and Lars Frederiksen of the band Rancid both sport spiderweb tattoos. In a 1996 episode of Melrose Place, one of the characters gets drunk before going to tattoo parlor and wakes up the next day with a huge spider web tattooed on his elbow.The spider web may be the most common prison tattoo to be assimilated by the middle class, but it is not the only one Thus Dody Lira, a highly tattooed but law-abiding 25-year-old from Dallas, Texas, is proud to have several tattoos that are in the same style as gang tattoos, "They have influenced me, by planting a symbolic badge that can be worn for everyone to see, for the rest of my life," he explained. Some agencies use a point system, giving various weights to different criteria for determining gang membership.. Other than an open verbal declaration of gang membership, the indicator that is given the highest point value-that is regarded as the most damning evidence of being a member-is a gang tattoo. -Thus the very things that make tattoos appealing as signifiers of gang membership-their visibility and permanence-are also the factors that make them appealing to law enforcement as a way of identifying and punishing gang members. Dr. Tolbert Wilkinson, a Texas-based doctor, works with one of these programs contends that they are highly effective. He sites a survey conducted by the Bandera Police Department, which found that 95 percent of former gang members who had submitted to having their gang tattoos removed "are now drug-free and employed. " Hate On Display: A Visual Database ofExtremist Symbols, Logos and Tattoos
http://www.adl.org/hate_symbols/default.asp

Symbol Type Prison Tattoo
Also Known As Spider Web Tattoo
Traditional Use/Origins N/A
Hate Group/Extremist Organization Racist Convicts
Extremist Meaning or Representation See below
Background/History The spider web design tattoo is often found on the arms or under the arms of racists who have spent time in jail. In some places, one apparently "earns" this tattoo by killing a minority. However, non-extremists may sometimes sport this tattoo as well, unaware of its other symbology, simply because they like the design
onyx306: he has one that says NAZI, 100% cracker , a clover and SNS Three Leaf Clover or Shamrock

Symbol Type Prison Tattoo
Also Known As Three Leaf Clover with "AB" (Aryan Brotherhood)
Traditional Use/Origins The three-leaf clover (or shamrock) symbolizes Irish heritage
Hate Group/Extremist Organization Aryan Brotherhood
Extremist Meaning or Representation Pride in Irish or Gaelic Roots, Aryan Pride
Background/History The Aryan Brotherhood (AB) is a white supremacist prison gang. The letters "AB" or the number "666" (representing Satan) can often be found written on the leaves of the clover.
Margaret: 13 flaming skulls on his wrist (are you sure they are flaming skulls? Could they be this? Skull and Crossbones

Symbol Type Neo-Nazi Symbol
Also Known As "Deathís Head" or Totenkopf
Traditional Use/Origins Symbol of the Nazi Schutzstaffel (SS)
Hate Group/Extremist Organization Neo-Nazis, Racist Skinheads
Extremist Meaning or Representation Shows allegiance to the white supremacist movement
Background/History The "Deathís Head" was the symbol of the SS-Totenkopfverbande (one of the original three branches of the SS, along with the Algemeine SS and the Waffen SS), whose purpose was to guard the concentration camps. Most of the original members of this organization were later transferred into and became the core of a Waffen SS division, the Deathís Head Division. The symbol is most often seen as a tattoo, which sometimes indicates that its wearer has murdered one of the movementís enemies (e.g., a Jew or other minority).

onyx306: he has one that says NAZI, SNS.
Brotherhood of Hate
Aryan Brotherhood originated in California's San Quentin Prison in the 1960s and has since spread to other prisons throughout the United States. Affiliated with the paramilitary hate group Aryan Nations, Aryan Brotherhood reportedly engages in extortion, drug operations and violence in correctional facilities; many members bear the identifying tattoo of a swastika and the Nazi SS lightning bolt

Tattoos and their Meaning http://www.convictsandcops.com/tattoo.htm
Clock faces without hands ......................Doing time
Tombstones with numbers on them.............The years they were inside
Tombstones with numbers and RIP................................Mourning the death of a friend
Spider or cobb webs on elbows or shoulders.......Doing time
Eight balls.....................Behind the eight ball or bad luck
One laughing face, one crying face.................Play now, pay later or my happy life, my sad life
SWP............................Supreme white power
Peckerwood......................................Wh ite pride ( males )
Featherwood...........................White pride ( females )
Viking themes.....................Common Caucasian tat
Granite block walls....................Time in Old Folsom Prison
100 % pure.......................Pure white or anglo
Cell window with sun or bird showing...........Waiting to get out
Face of female crying.....Has someone on the outside waiting
SUR............................................... ......Southerner
Norteano...................................Norther ner
Prison block wall with bricks falling ...Inside wanting to get out

Lightning Bolts - These symbols are frequently seen tattooed on racist skinheads. It is the symbol originally worn by Hitler's SS.
http://gbgm-umc.org/umw/anti-hate/symbolsofhate.html

ToughTimes
10-13-2003, 11:55 AM
Clock faces without hands............................................. .................Doing time

Tombstones with numbers on them.............................................. ..The years they were inside

Tombstones with numbers and RIP............................................... .Mourning the death of a friend

Spider or cobb webs on elbows or shoulders...................................Doing time

Eight balls............................................. ..........................................Behind the eight ball or bad luck

One laughing face, one crying face.............................................. ....Play now, pay later or my happy life, my sad life

SWP............................................... .................................................S upreme white power

Peckerwood........................................ .............................................White pride ( males )

Featherwood....................................... .............................................White pride ( females )

Viking themes............................................ ......................................Common Caucasian tat

Granite block walls............................................. ..............................Time in Old Folsom Prison

100 % pure.............................................. ..........................................Pure white or anglo

Cell window with sun or bird showing........................................... ....Waiting to get out

Face of female crying............................................ ............................Has someone on the outside waiting

SUR............................................... .................................................. ..Southerner

Norteano.......................................... .................................................. Northerner

Prison block wall with bricks falling outward.....................................Inside wanting to get out

ToughTimes
10-13-2003, 11:57 AM
whoops -- repeat post! Didn't go to second page of post before I posted this. Sorry guys!!

Tom Girl
10-16-2003, 01:35 PM
What about a cross on the whole elbow. It's an outline not filled in or anything?? I am worried he is turning into a hate machine in there.

Jus' Mom
10-18-2003, 07:25 AM
I've searched everywhere and can't find anything to do with a cross covering the elbow.

Txrppin1
10-29-2003, 10:15 PM
I have a Brother and he has been in and out of prison here in Texas. He has a tattoo of a spider web on his right elbow. I asked him today what did it mean. he told me that each line represented the years that he has been locked up, which is 13 years. he is no longer in the system and has been off parole since 2001.

jackdaniels
11-04-2003, 06:27 PM
Jus Mom, can you give me any more information about the cross? I.e. Celtic, gothic, Roman..?

jackdaniels
11-04-2003, 06:29 PM
Also, where is your son from, what system is he in, and sorry, but what is his race?

flygirlaa2
11-06-2003, 08:18 PM
Jack, there is tons and tons of info about arian and white type gang tattoos, but do you have any on say, black or muslim tattoos. Any info or links would be appreciated. Thanks.

blessed_be
12-18-2003, 04:01 PM
All this gang related racist stuff makes me want to vomit. It's so sad that we're still dealing with Nazis and white supremicists. I realize these guys feel they gotta be macho and protect themselves but HATING is not the way.
Women, how does it feel to love a man covered with Hitler / Nazi tattoos???
Or any other hating/racist tattoos? I'm sorry to say something so RUDE but I
have no idea how -any- woman could choose to love, respect, or trust a man flaunting such hatred.

kreepsgirl
12-18-2003, 04:39 PM
Definitley White Superemicist......

darkbluegirl
12-18-2003, 05:02 PM
I used to design tats in jail for the dudes in state and some of the girls too, a spider web is an indication of time, used to be, a fly in it could mark a kill but that isn't applicable anymore. Latin Kings have a crown, Some of the old irish gangs out of B town used to use the clover, but it could be anything, a lot of people have taken the old prison, gang tats and adapted them. Castles for instance, every tower was a year down. Sad/ and happy face used to be a gang tat, isn't so much now. Pistol and saber used to be African Nation, if some one has NAZT in there skin, well it doesn't have to be gang affiliated but it sure tells you where their head is at, no?

Travs_girl
12-19-2003, 12:35 PM
Blessed-Be...

I was in a relationship with a white supremacist. I couldn't handle it, and that's why I got out. At the beginning, it didn't bother me. He had a HUGE swazi on his chest/stomach and had "WHITE POWER" on the back of his upper arms. He had so many tats, I've lost track of the rest of them.

Anyway, his room was all decked out in Hitler adoring fashion. But it didn't stop there, he also idolized people like Timothy McVeigh and Benjamin Smith and a whole bunch of other extremists.

Like I said, at first it didn't bother me. We didn't really focus on it too much and I took it as a big learning opportunity for me. I read books with him (he was thrilled to be able to "educate" a white woman on all of this history and pride) and really listened to his beliefs and thoughts.

After we were comfortable with each other, I started questioning him more. There were lots of contradictions in his beliefs, because in all honesty, you CAN'T be a 100% devout supremecist and function in our society. Unless you live on a compound in N. Idaho, you're going to have to face and deal with minorities. Anyway, the more I started pressing him and questioning him about it, the more strained our relationship became. There were certain stories that I just couldn't bare to hear anymore, so we had to agree to disagree.

But it was a fatal flaw in our relationship. I don't believe two people with such opposite beliefs could ever have a life together. I was in love with him, and part of me still does love him. It was HARD when we broke up, but it was for the best. I refuse to raise my child(ren) as little Nazi soldiers, and he refused to have "rainbow coalition" kids, as he called it.

Sorry... I rambled... :)

Street_Fish
12-19-2003, 01:27 PM
I can't say for Florida, but here in CA those are all "White Pride" Tats. It doesn't mean he's racist. Just beacause he got some Ink work blasted on him shouldn't concern you, I just got out and it was a rare thing that a guy wouldn't get tatted back in there. Don't fret, he's just proud to be white. Be concerned if you see "Skin Head" "SWP" or a Swazi blasted on him anywhere.

blessed_be
12-19-2003, 06:55 PM
Heather,
Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so glad you gave up on the man. Skinhead BS has ---no place--- on this planet. I'm white, descended from Jews and it is so offensive and vile, I don't how on earth these men consider themselves to be good Christians. There is NOTHING CHRISTIAN about racism. Hate to be so rude again but I really do believe these Nazi/KKK/Aryan/White Power gentlemen need resocialization and full re-education. How will our children ever have peace on earth with our men hating like they do? It's a societal disgrace these people even have a voice to spread their hatred.

katewu
02-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Guys that survive til they're over 40 maybe still be active in the prison gangs, or they might just age out . Og's are pretty abundant here in SoCal, all ages, I can't always gauge the ages accurately.

I do see a lot of spider webs on the elbows, but have seen a few on the web of the neck also. Gang and prison culture has spread so anyone might have a tattoo because it's "cool", just have to ask the individual involved.

Chadschicken2
02-29-2008, 10:52 PM
they are def white supremacist tatts, all of which are symbols or themes of the group.

Kateeh
03-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Two questions:

Anyone familiar with a tattoo of a dragon symbolizing a gang?
Do you think it's weird for two guys-best friends-to get the same tat?

Chadschicken2
03-01-2008, 01:18 AM
There are many that use the dragons from several of the latin gangs, the asian gangs, and some of the african american gangs as well.

meeganv
03-01-2008, 06:56 AM
I agree, a tattoo is often just a tattoo. My man has a spiderweb on his elbow BEFORE going to prison...guess he just liked it!

That being said, since you asked...I can tell you that the clover is a common symbol used to identify loyalty to AB.

Nazi and cracker don't mean anything. I mean, they can identify his feelings or way of thinking, but don't necessarily mean or identify him as gang. The prison would make note of them though because of who he would potentially and likely affiliate himself with while in prison.

twixnstix
03-03-2008, 11:13 AM
ok so sorry but i didnt read everything that everyone already put... i appoligize if anyone has already mentioned these that i hadnt read. so lets break this down and i give my appoligies if i offend anyone, and these are just my assumptions...
nazi- meaning he is a skinhead, very rarely does anyone else get this tattooed on them because it could cause big problems down the road if they are not.
100% cracker- meaning he is all white, it is a derogatory comment for a white person
a clover- meaning more than likely he is of irish decent, which many skinheads who are irish have this as well
sns- im not sure exactly what this means, but my best guess is it has to do with a skinhead movement. im not sure what areas around you may start with an s but this is what i think it means. s(usually an area or group name of somesort) n(national) s(socialists), but like i said earlier, this is just my best guess, and i may be completly wrong.

as for being in a gang, if he and i mean IF he is a skinhead... some people belive skinheads are a gang, others just belive they are working people with good company (see SHARP meaning skinheads against racial prejuduice) which would kind of go against the whole nazi tattoo, so assume this person is not a SHARP, but no matter what they belong to, they, for the most part are considered a orginized movement and that scares the "stuff" out of the government... in the police and governments eyes, it would be considered a gang.

Chitownbyrd
03-26-2008, 11:00 PM
oops!

ok so sorry but i didnt read everything that everyone already put... i appoligize if anyone has already mentioned these that i hadnt read. so lets break this down and i give my appoligies if i offend anyone, and these are just my assumptions...
nazi- meaning he is a skinhead, very rarely does anyone else get this tattooed on them because it could cause big problems down the road if they are not.
100% cracker- meaning he is all white, it is a derogatory comment for a white person
a clover- meaning more than likely he is of irish decent, which many skinheads who are irish have this as well
sns- im not sure exactly what this means, but my best guess is it has to do with a skinhead movement. im not sure what areas around you may start with an s but this is what i think it means. s(usually an area or group name of somesort) n(national) s(socialists), but like i said earlier, this is just my best guess, and i may be completly wrong.

as for being in a gang, if he and i mean IF he is a skinhead... some people belive skinheads are a gang, others just belive they are working people with good company (see SHARP meaning skinheads against racial prejuduice) which would kind of go against the whole nazi tattoo, so assume this person is not a SHARP, but no matter what they belong to, they, for the most part are considered a orginized movement and that scares the "stuff" out of the government... in the police and governments eyes, it would be considered a gang.

marleen
03-27-2008, 12:15 AM
All this gang related racist stuff makes me want to vomit. It's so sad that we're still dealing with Nazis and white supremicists. I realize these guys feel they gotta be macho and protect themselves but HATING is not the way.
have no idea how -any- woman could choose to love, respect, or trust a man flaunting such hatred.OK first of all I know this was an old post but I just read it. I did not see black or white I saw RED! Second I am am considered white by society but I have African American heritage from one grandparent! I have dated white men and black men. Sorry folks but the black guys and their families were more raciest then the white men ever had time to be! I can tell you some of the black raciest tattoos like a big old black panther put me off just a little. Worse when I called and tried to get to know the women in these mens families they made raciest comments that I did not appreciate! I mean what the hell if we are all the same what does it matter if a white woman dates a black man? I really hate the stupid comment that many black women say "Why can't you white bitches find a white guy?" My answer is and was why can't you black women find a white man? Anyway there is way too much hate in both races. While we are all busy hating and judging the country is going to hell in a hand basket! Just some food for thought, Hope I did not offend anyone. But it is hard dealing with hate no matter what color you are!

boudica
03-27-2008, 07:27 AM
How more the spider is in the center of the web on the elbow how more he is involved with criminal activity... climbing spider is taking care that he going higher in rank in time (but there are people who just have this for fun)

A clover is a sign of a white gang most are nazi's if you have this one without permission you will have this skinned off of your skin, inside and outside prison they will personally remove it because of disrespecting the "gang" , if you are not related by a white people better dont set it in especially not in prison they will beat the person up and like said they really remove it

a dagger with 3 blood drips coming of is a sign of killed someone, can tell you if he has that on the left shoulderblade he will not be a pussy...

(and no im not funny)

Oly360
07-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Okay look. Im an ex-convict that has done most of my life in the state system. I have been out of the prisons for about 7 years now. The thing I want to say is inside, it's dog eat dog. Do or Die. I was involved with a certin group that happens to be labeled a security threat group. If your friend is involved with activities inside, it's probley a survival thing. The tats are part of that life. I have alot of tats on my body from those days. If you read about what tats mean on the internet or from somebody that dont carry them on there skin then you are probley getting a line of crap. If you really want to know, ask him. If he says he cant talk about it then dont push it. Just remeber that trust is mainly based on faith. So of the most caring people I know have swazis on them and I would trust them with my life. Prison politics and survival draws a deep line inside and you should really let it go. He has to deal with that stuff daily and if you are not part of that world then you are probley a person that he needs to escape that stress at least for a brief periode of time that he reads your letters or talks to you on the phone. Remember a man has to do what he has to do to survive in there. Hope I helped a little bit.

EddiesBaby
07-07-2009, 09:43 AM
have no idea how -any- woman could choose to love, respect, or trust a man flaunting such hatred.

Eddie does have a swastika on his chest, and no, I don't like it. But it is also his oldest tattoo and when he was a teen, he was a skin head. It's also his past and he doesn't flaunt it. He has mentioned several times that as soon as he gets out it's getting covered. It's not who he is anymore and he doesn't carry that hatred that he once did; he has friends of different races now.

I don't love him because of what he does or does not have on his skin. I love him for what he is inside of him.

IMURHUNI
07-07-2009, 11:16 AM
My pp (who's black) has tattoos, but it never crossed my mind that any of them may be gang related and he has never mentioned gangs. I did however have a look on the net and came up with this for you.

The Aryan Brotherhood's common tattoos feature shamrocks (3 leaf clovers with 666 written on them), the word Nazi or Nazi emblems such as swastikas and "SS" lightning bolts, Viking heads. The spider web tattooed on the elbow was a code, readable by other gangs, means that the bearer had served serious time in the penitentiary or in some parts of the country the same tattoo meant that the wearer had killed a member of a minority group.

waldron
11-21-2009, 11:11 AM
The positioning of the spider web tattoo is important, under your top arm means you killed a minority.

Seattle118
11-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Okay look. Im an ex-convict that has done most of my life in the state system. I have been out of the prisons for about 7 years now. The thing I want to say is inside, it's dog eat dog. Do or Die. I was involved with a certin group that happens to be labeled a security threat group. If your friend is involved with activities inside, it's probley a survival thing. The tats are part of that life. I have alot of tats on my body from those days. If you read about what tats mean on the internet or from somebody that dont carry them on there skin then you are probley getting a line of crap. If you really want to know, ask him. If he says he cant talk about it then dont push it. Just remeber that trust is mainly based on faith. So of the most caring people I know have swazis on them and I would trust them with my life. Prison politics and survival draws a deep line inside and you should really let it go. He has to deal with that stuff daily and if you are not part of that world then you are probley a person that he needs to escape that stress at least for a brief periode of time that he reads your letters or talks to you on the phone. Remember a man has to do what he has to do to survive in there. Hope I helped a little bit.

My pp shares a lot during visits and one day the conversation turned to tattoos. As he has been in 17 yrs already, He has tons. He left the gang and had the swastikas covered over with fresh ink. The lightening bolts he told me indicate the number of times you have stabbed someone. He has two. Clovers of course, AB, the other details are easy to find on prison tat website, etc. You would be surprised how many seemingly innocent tattoos aren't "just a tattoo", they have significance to those who run in that world.

The thing he made clear and I want to make clear and Oly made clear is that gang affiliation in prison is a survival thing. It is very firmly divided along racial boundaries... so as a white guy his only option were certain gangs. I know with every bone in my body from our conversation, both in person, phone and letter, that he in no way is a racist. They are just symbols to indicate which "team" he is on when it comes to prison groups. Of course, he doesn't even play that game anymore.

Reread Oly's post, he says it all.

goldroof
01-22-2010, 05:43 AM
A friend of mine just this past week got sent to a reception center here in Florida and when I look him up on DOCs site, I couldn't help but notice the listing of his tattoos, most of which were acquired while he was in county for a year and a half. I am just curious to know if any of them are gang related; he has one that says NAZI, 100% cracker , a clover and SNS.. So if anyone knows if those are any indication of a specific group or am I just crazy?

My Grandson is on a gang watch list. He has an SNS tatoo. His girlfriend;s initials are SNS. She is Puerto Rican. Unfortunately, someone passed him a reading list that had gang related books on it and he got caught. He has had no interest in White Supremacy. What can be done?

Seattle118
01-22-2010, 02:44 PM
My friend also wanted to have some gang tattoos removed when he got out so I got some info. I went to "Slave of the Needle" a popular and respected tattoo place here in Seattle.

The artist I talked to recommended laser removal, he said any other system currently used just doesn't work that well. Blink skin care in Seattle had a great brochure with before and after pics. Removals cost as little of $150 per treatment and a complete removal could take from 4 to 10 treatments, depending on tattoo size, type of ink, color of ink, etc.

The lazer breaks up the ink into smaller and smaller particles until they are so small that they can be flushed out to the body by its own systems. Here is the website for Blink (http://www.blinktattooremoval.com/experience.html). The before/after results are amazing!

Of course, this could only be done once he is out

neccomamma
01-22-2010, 05:28 PM
My husband has several "white supremacists" tats including MOB, SS bolts, SUR and clover leafs. He is listed as "possible" affiliation due to these tats but like several on here have said it is a survival thing in prison. Most of his friends on the outside are black, in fact I think he has only one white friend.

sweetgirlb
01-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Whether you "Agree" or not is hardly the issue.
Have you yet walked a mile in his shoes?
Until then, you are condemning a man for surviving :confused:

Thanks everyone, I was just worried about this dude because he is an old friend. I figured he was just trying to fit in, my fiance has been in prison four years and he's never taken up with such people. I did find out what it means, the SnS is actually 2 S's with a lightning bolt, this is the same tattoo that Hitlers secret service had, same goes for the lightning bolt under the 100% cracker. So I suppose he decided to face his decades in prison as a member of a white suprimecy group...I am complete disagreence with his choice, but I doubt seriously if he would even listen to me at this point..Anyways, thank you guys!

sweetgirlb
01-22-2010, 07:43 PM
It really irks me when people talk about racism they focus only on whites... i have met more racist people of color than I have white racists.

so try not to be too racist in your anti-racists statements.

Heather,
Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so glad you gave up on the man. Skinhead BS has ---no place--- on this planet. I'm white, descended from Jews and it is so offensive and vile, I don't how on earth these men consider themselves to be good Christians. There is NOTHING CHRISTIAN about racism. Hate to be so rude again but I really do believe these Nazi/KKK/Aryan/White Power gentlemen need resocialization and full re-education. How will our children ever have peace on earth with our men hating like they do? It's a societal disgrace these people even have a voice to spread their hatred.

sweetgirlb
01-23-2010, 10:02 AM
My man is white. He went to prison when he was still a boy. He has more than just survived there in the last 15 years, he was molded by his environment. He is covered in tattoos. Some are deemed gang related. Some are questionable and not exactly what I would call "art". I dont really care, because the man I know and love is not his tattoos. Just like the stone-cold hardening that has stolen his youthful appearance is not who he is.

I guess you are not so aware of the fact that whites are the smallest minority in a system that has created its own race war by using racial tension as a manipulative control device. IF it werent so, insititutions would be racially separate ( one prison all white, another all black, etc) and individuals would not be put into group of other races to be "broken" into the system.

You have no idea what its like to walk a mile in my man's shoes, so why are you expressing so much hatred? you are perpetuation the very thing you are trying to diminish by staying in fear of what you dont know.
He lives in a world that has nothing but hate and anger, and because of me, he has something else. Something much, much better ... love and hope.
Why are you here? To upset those of us who ride with lifers?
You sound like my gramma.

sweetgirlb
01-23-2010, 02:33 PM
OMG.. I've been getting upset at someone who hasnt been on here in over 6 YEARS!
I feel so ... duh!

Originally Posted by blessed_be:
Heather,
Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so glad you gave up on the man.....

sweetgirlb
01-23-2010, 02:46 PM
ok now I am trippin... because the tattoos I see most mentioned. lightening bolts and the cross with the three dots were what I saw on a LOT of middle schoolers when I was in middle school (in the 70s), and you cannot tell me these kids were in gangs.
So does the tattoo predispose one of becoming a gang member?
sometimes I think there is a lot of "reading into"h

Sauls esposa
01-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Does anyone know of any groups that would help someone lets just say ....not affiliated with certain people anymore, to help get tattoos removed My husband will be deportated after his release (8yrs) and fears for his life because of his tats......for good reason

Seattle118
01-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Does anyone know of any groups that would help someone lets just say ....not affiliated with certain people anymore, to help get tattoos removed My husband will be deportated after his release (8yrs) and fears for his life because of his tats......for good reason

See my post #48 a few posts back about tattoo removal, does he have time after release BEFORE he is deported to get them removed by Blink or other places?

Seattle118
01-24-2010, 04:38 PM
What is of GREATEST Concern to me is the spread of Hepatitis C through tattoo needles, etc. My pal says just sharing the INK can spread Hep C., though I haven't confirmed that via research yet.

My pal got the test and it showed a marker that said he had been exposed in some way, but he did not have it, nor could get it if he doesn't get anymore tattoos. Hep C is really the danger as far as lifethreatening consequences of getting tattoos in prison, in my opinion.

Seattle118
01-24-2010, 04:39 PM
OMG.. I've been getting upset at someone who hasnt been on here in over 6 YEARS!
I feel so ... duh!

HAHAHA - Sweetgirlb - we have ALL done that! Welcome to the club :)