View Full Version : Can you accept collect calls with Vonage?

Two of Hearts
11-14-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm confused because I called Vonage to set up a landline and they said that I wouldn't be able to take collect calls. But I see some of you are using Vonage without a problem. I just set up a phone line with TimeWarner, but Vonage is WAY cheaper so I would switch if you tell me that you have no problems getting collect through it. What has your experience with it been?

PBE
11-14-2007, 11:28 AM
For Correctional calls you must set up your calls through GTL no matter which land line service provider you are using. That is the only way they will work.
Their website is www.correctionsgtl.com (http://www.correctionsgtl.com)

Two of Hearts
11-14-2007, 01:11 PM
I understand that but, asides from the prepay account with GTL, I need to set up an account with a separate phone service provider because I don't have a landline yet (only cell phone). I was wondering if Vonage allows you to accept the collect calls once you set up your account with GTL because, if it does (contrary to what the Vonage CSR said), I would pick their service over TimeWarner.

yaya'sbaby
11-14-2007, 01:47 PM
I think you are supposed to get the line first and than call gtl. That way you'll have a phone number to give to gtl. Is this what you mean?

Two of Hearts
11-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Yes, I have set up a phone line with TimeWarner which is getting set up on Saturday. But Vonage is cheaper, so if someone tells me they use Vonage as a phone service provider and have been able to receive collect calls, I will switch.

Wife C
11-14-2007, 04:01 PM
But didn't Vontage already tell you that you can not receive collect calls with their service? Them meant collect calls period not just correctional facility calls. You have to have a provider that will allow you to accept collect calls in general. Vontage doesn't permit the acceptance of collect calls.

PBE
11-14-2007, 04:18 PM
But didn't Vontage already tell you that you can not receive collect calls with their service? Them meant collect calls period not just correctional facility calls. You have to have a provider that will allow you to accept collect calls in general. Vontage doesn't permit the acceptance of collect calls.

That is not necessarily correct. Cable phone providers also do not allow collect calls at all, for example Optimum Online which I have.
They do not allow collect calls. BUT after I set up an account with GTL, GTL was able to circumvent the Optimum system that ordinarliy does not allow collect calls in order for me to receive my correctional collect calls. But if I were to try and call my house collect now from any location , the call would not go through( and it's true I already tried lol)

MrsChamp75
11-14-2007, 04:22 PM
I would like to know also if anyone uses Vonage to accept calls from GTL.... it is cheaper than Time Warner and those are the only two to choose from in my area...Thanks. I have Time Warer currently and it it outrageous.

Thumper81
11-14-2007, 04:33 PM
if i were you i would call GTL and see if Vonage has a contract with them for collect calls. Then set it up if they do bc techniquely they arent collect calls they are prepaid.

cherryblossoms
11-14-2007, 05:59 PM
This is the number to set up an account for prepaid account for GTL: 1-866-230-7761.

Two of Hearts
11-14-2007, 07:37 PM
That's what I meant!!! I'm sorry if it was hard to understand. Vonage did tell me that I couldn't receive collect calls through them, but then I saw people on the board saying they use Vonage and Optimum online so I got very confused.

So.. I guess I'll call GTL and ask what they can do.

THANK YOU! :thumbsup:

Anthony'sWife
11-14-2007, 07:46 PM
I Know That This Is A Lil Off Topic...but It Was Siad That Gtl Will And Can Circumvent Other Phone Systems To Allow The Calls To Go Thru...but They Cant Get Their Billing Statements In Order...wth...???????????????

And I Agree Contact Gtl...and Make Sure They Can Provide The Service Thru Vonage Before U Make The Switch...

mondababy
11-14-2007, 09:36 PM
I have Vonage and I set up an advance pay service with them...no problem. It is true that they circumvent other systems as long as you pay em!