View Full Version : V-Connect Pre Paid Phone

Marina1027
03-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Hi all...I have a question for those that get phone calls from Utah prisons. I use Qwest and have my collect calls billed through my phone bill but my in-laws have the prepaid version (both are through v-connect or value added communications)

My question is this...how many problems have you had getting calls with the prepaid system? My husband called me Saturday then tried for 3 hours to call his dad. Couldn't get a call out, so he called me again with no problem.

I need to call Value Added Communications but I thought I might gather some more info first.

Thanks!

Debsguy
05-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Did you get it working for you?

I got set up with V-Connect when my girlfriend was in Box Elder county jail. It's been working fine. I just added Utah DOC and hope it will work when she gets to make her first call, hopefully this week. I'll report back on it.

Marina1027
05-03-2008, 07:32 PM
So far my husband has not had any more problems with the pre-paid version. I'm still not giving up Qwest though.

FarFromOver
05-17-2008, 02:04 AM
VAC is horrible, especially if you get your call disconnected for any reason, they HATE to give credits and most of the time they will just tell you "TUFF SHIT". The only NICE thing with VAC is that if you setup a VAC account then your inmate will be able to call AS MUCH AS THEY WANT. I say that because inmates only get to make so many calls depending on their privilege level. For example an inmate on an (H) privilege level then they only get to make 1 call a month. If they are on an (I) level then it's 2 calls a month. If they are on a (N) level then it's 4 calls per week. ETC. Also during R&O when first entering in prison it's only 1 call per week. But if you have VAC then they can call as much as they want.

So other than that there really is no benefit to using VAC while incarcerated at Draper or Gunnison. Now the benefit at some other prisons is if you use VAC you can receive collect calls directly to your cell phone. But unfortunately at Draper and Gunnison, they will not approve cell phones on phone lists. BUT what you can still do is, you can forward your house phone to your cell phone that way whenever your inmate calls your house phone it will forward to your cell phone and you can then receive collect calls just like you would at your house.

Marina1027
05-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Now the benefit at some other prisons is if you use VAC you can receive collect calls directly to your cell phone. But unfortunately at Draper and Gunnison, they will not approve cell phones on phone lists. BUT what you can still do is, you can forward your house phone to your cell phone that way whenever your inmate calls your house phone it will forward to your cell phone and you can then receive collect calls just like you would at your house.

FYI If you get caught forwarding your home phone you will lose all calling privileges. Not worth the risk, IMO.

FarFromOver
05-19-2008, 12:00 PM
FYI If you get caught forwarding your home phone you will lose all calling privileges. Not worth the risk, IMO.

Nah that's not true. They monitored one of my calls one time where my wife was talking about how she was leaving work and that lead them to believe that the home phone was being forwarded. All they did was give me a write up. I'm sure that if it continued then someone else could come of it like loss of phone privileges, but honestly if you think about it theres really no way for them to know unless you guys are talking about it on the phone. My wife and I just never spoke of it on the phone again and we never had any problems after that. I just simply told her she had to watch what she had to say.

Marina1027
05-20-2008, 10:10 PM
I guess I take a different view. My husband is in prison because he couldn't follow the rules. I never bought that old saying..."it's only illegal if you get caught."

But that's just me.

cowgirlinutah
05-21-2008, 07:37 AM
I use to forward the calls from my home phone to my cell phone. I honestly didn't think it was a problem because I wasn't forwarding it to anyone else but me etc. Boy was I ever wrong. Most people just get a write up but it's up the "investigator" to decide. We were talking one time then he was going to call me back after the kids appointments etc. when he tried to call back he couldn't. He had someone call me to tell me something was up with the phone. So I started asking questions and called out there. I talked to the "investigator" they told me to talk to and he told me they took my number off his list for forwarding the calls to my cell phone. I asked the guy how long it would be like that and he said, "once it's off it's off for good" I know he can change it if he wants to but he won't. I figure he was mad because I called and knew about it the same day that it happened. We solved it all now but it's really really a pain. Sadly, they pick and choose at times what punishments go where. So my suggestion to everyone follow each and every rule to a tee and iff you need to be extra extra cautious. I have even heard of if situations where people have 2 phone lines in their home and when they are on the phone with their loved one and answer the other line if it rings having their phone priviledges cut off. So just be extra extra cautious.

FarFromOver
05-21-2008, 01:09 PM
I guess I take a different view. My husband is in prison because he couldn't follow the rules. I never bought that old saying..."it's only illegal if you get caught."

But that's just me.

Gotta try to beat the system somehow. Otherwise just roll over and let it f**k you over. If everyone just sits around and lets the system do whatever they want without trying to beat it either LEGALLY or ILLEGALLY then it will just keep doing whatever it wants. Just like paying $3.50 for a 30 min collect call, so for the amount of 6 collect phone calls costs the same amount that it costs for a local house phone that you can call as many people you want and talk as long as you want. So tell me there isn't something wrong with that picture. It's called PRICE GOUGING! People need to stop being so soft and start doing something about it.

But that's just me ;)

Marina1027
05-22-2008, 06:28 AM
DSMKilla...to each his own. The rules are there for a reason...usually because someone abused a privilege. Once upon a time you could order books and tapes from a bookstore and have them sent to the prison. Somebody bought tapes, took them home and filled them with drugs. Then they took the freshly re-sealed box back to the bookstore and asked them to send it in. They did, the dogs sniffed out the drugs and now we cannot send books in at all. If my husband wants the newest book he has to order it himself through the prison. It sucks. All because someone didn't think the rules applied to him.

There are better ways to fight the system. Oh, and my phone calls are more like $6.30 for 30 minutes. I don't like it but it's not a battle I'm likely to win either.

I'm not judging you or anyone else. I have to weigh the consequences of my actions and it's not worth the risk to me. I depend on my phone calls from my husband.

Personally, I think we need to get the "no cell phone" rule changed. I would like to give up my land line but I can't. It's an extra expense that I could do without. The rule was put in place a long time ago and it's technologically out of date. Any ideas on how to change this? That's how I want to fight the system. If the Federal prisons and state jails can call cell phones...why not the USP???

cowgirlinutah
05-22-2008, 08:40 AM
I think that eventually the system will change to accept cell phones, it's just taking it's own sweet time. Maybe if enough people write to the warden and ask them to review it, give him some good points. I mean if people set up an account with VAC (Vconnect) and have the calls go to the cell phone there shouldn't be a problem. In fact there are prepaid systems out there that work on the premise of giving you a land line number but it's automatically forwarded to your cell phone. Those ones are already beating the system so to speak but they cost a lot more. My personal opinion is that VAC is trying to slowly change all phones over to having to use their prepaid system. The reason I say that is my husband called me for over 3 years using the qwest bill. He called me one day and then the next day it said that we had to set up a VAC prepay account in order to get phone calls. When I called them I got the excuse that Qwest must have denied the 3rd party billing thing and I had to call Qwest to get it straightened out etc. Well to make a long story short, I did everything they told me I had to do, had a qwest person call VAC to confirm there are no restrictions on my account, all the fun stuff. In the end I was told by VAC that once the third party denial is on their in their records it cannot be removed. I actually kind of like the prepay deal because it helps us keep our phone calls under control. When they bill my home phone for them we sometimes have a tendancy to go overboard and then regret it when I get the next month bill for $800.

There is definately never going to be a perfect system out there... The problem is that someone will always find a way around stuff, get caught and mess it up for everyone. Sadly the whole world works that way..

Marina1027
05-23-2008, 07:02 AM
I think that eventually the system will change to accept cell phones, it's just taking it's own sweet time. Maybe if enough people write to the warden and ask them to review it, give him some good points. I mean if people set up an account with VAC (Vconnect) and have the calls go to the cell phone there shouldn't be a problem. In fact there are prepaid systems out there that work on the premise of giving you a land line number but it's automatically forwarded to your cell phone. Those ones are already beating the system so to speak but they cost a lot more. My personal opinion is that VAC is trying to slowly change all phones over to having to use their prepaid system. The reason I say that is my husband called me for over 3 years using the qwest bill. He called me one day and then the next day it said that we had to set up a VAC prepay account in order to get phone calls. When I called them I got the excuse that Qwest must have denied the 3rd party billing thing and I had to call Qwest to get it straightened out etc. Well to make a long story short, I did everything they told me I had to do, had a qwest person call VAC to confirm there are no restrictions on my account, all the fun stuff. In the end I was told by VAC that once the third party denial is on their in their records it cannot be removed. I actually kind of like the prepay deal because it helps us keep our phone calls under control. When they bill my home phone for them we sometimes have a tendancy to go overboard and then regret it when I get the next month bill for $800.

There is definately never going to be a perfect system out there... The problem is that someone will always find a way around stuff, get caught and mess it up for everyone. Sadly the whole world works that way..

That's interesting...a few months ago my long distance got shut off (boy was I pissed!) and I didn't know it until I didn't get my weekend phone call from DH. I got Qwest straightened out and I tested the collect calling by having my sister call me, worked great. Next Saturday still no phone call. I never did talk to a human at VAC but by the 3rd weekend everything was working fine. I guess it takes a little longer for VAC to get the message but they didn't force me to go prepaid (though I did consider it.)

FarFromOver
05-23-2008, 12:26 PM
DSMKilla...to each his own. The rules are there for a reason...usually because someone abused a privilege. Once upon a time you could order books and tapes from a bookstore and have them sent to the prison. Somebody bought tapes, took them home and filled them with drugs. Then they took the freshly re-sealed box back to the bookstore and asked them to send it in. They did, the dogs sniffed out the drugs and now we cannot send books in at all. If my husband wants the newest book he has to order it himself through the prison. It sucks. All because someone didn't think the rules applied to him.

There are better ways to fight the system. Oh, and my phone calls are more like $6.30 for 30 minutes. I don't like it but it's not a battle I'm likely to win either.

I'm not judging you or anyone else. I have to weigh the consequences of my actions and it's not worth the risk to me. I depend on my phone calls from my husband.

Personally, I think we need to get the "no cell phone" rule changed. I would like to give up my land line but I can't. It's an extra expense that I could do without. The rule was put in place a long time ago and it's technologically out of date. Any ideas on how to change this? That's how I want to fight the system. If the Federal prisons and state jails can call cell phones...why not the USP???

Yeah I agree and understand where your coming from :)

jm8181
01-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Is VConnect site still provides mentioned services as I went to Vconnect (vconnect.com). I found different services there altogether. Just thought to ask you to have more clarification.

FletchersDaddy
01-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Is VConnect site still provides mentioned services as I went to Vconnect (vconnect.com). I found different services there altogether. Just thought to ask you to have more clarification.

Go to myvconnect.com

Marina1027
01-08-2011, 11:00 AM
And now the USP does allow cell phones. Patience...sometimes it pays off. I'm getting rid of Qwest soon...I don't think I'll miss it.

tonyamalone
01-13-2011, 04:11 PM
My husband is in Utah State Prison and I use the prepaid account. Just recently they have allowed collect calls to cell phones. You have to set up a prepaid account this way. I like it as now I can talk to my husband whenever I want and I do not have to schedule my day around his phone calls.

Hi all...I have a question for those that get phone calls from Utah prisons. I use Qwest and have my collect calls billed through my phone bill but my in-laws have the prepaid version (both are through v-connect or value added communications)

My question is this...how many problems have you had getting calls with the prepaid system? My husband called me Saturday then tried for 3 hours to call his dad. Couldn't get a call out, so he called me again with no problem.

I need to call Value Added Communications but I thought I might gather some more info first.

Thanks!

SunshineWife
03-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Yes, i am so grateful that I have Vconnect set up and my husband can call my cellphone now. I have not had a home phone for more than 6 years and didnt want to get one. Now im just waiting for him to get out of A-West, so that he can get some more priveleges and i can go see him.

BMildenhall
12-09-2011, 02:57 PM

Thanks!

Qwest, now Century Link, was okay as far as calling collect to a Qwest land line at my home. The problem was with V-Connect. When I was an inmate at the Salt Lake County Jail, I could call collect to my home about 4 times. Then the phone service would not let me call collect anymore, they said I had to set up a V-Connect account, which in my opinion is illegal, that's extortion, and they should not be able to regulate the calls to an inmate's home if they have other means to pay for them. The system eventually "recycled" after about a 2-3 day hiatus when I couldn't make calls, but then I was allowed to make calls again until it times out and the same cycle repeated itself.

mjkc
12-13-2011, 02:00 PM
I haven't had any problems with it, but just started using them after my husband got transfered, other jails had phone cards or offender connect instead.

Vconnect worked faster than the other prepaids so far. My money was on there right away instead of taking a few days to update.

SunshineWife
12-14-2011, 09:47 PM
I have not had any major problems with Vconnect. I can place money on it every month and my husband can call whenever the phones are available. The thing i found is that the calls are cheaper if you have a local number to the facility he is being housed at. I have had to change my cell number as he has been moved around. Not to bad though.

wesidewife
04-23-2013, 11:33 PM
[quote=SunshineWife;6048038]Yes, i am so grateful that I have Vconnect set up and my husband can call my cellphone now. I have not had a home phone for more than 6 years and didnt want to get one. Now im just waiting for him to get out of A-West, so that he can get some more priveleges and i can go see him.[/quo

Salutations.. I was reading your post and I found it to be very interesting to know you can get prison calls to your cell phone? I need some help in that department.

Renee
04-23-2013, 11:42 PM
[quote=SunshineWife;6048038]Yes, i am so grateful that I have Vconnect set up and my husband can call my cellphone now. I have not had a home phone for more than 6 years and didnt want to get one. Now im just waiting for him to get out of A-West, so that he can get some more priveleges and i can go see him.[/quo

Salutations.. I was reading your post and I found it to be very interesting to know you can get prison calls to your cell phone? I need some help in that department.

wesidewife, every state (and every facility for that matter) is different. If your loved one is in a NY prison, he/she cannot call a cell. Please see the Sticky: No calls to Cell phones NYSDOCS (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518947) in the NEW YORK (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159) forums. Sorry!