View Full Version : Holiday Prison Unit, Huntsville Texas

June
08-11-2002, 02:45 PM
Hi, my name June and my husband is Tommy who is as ofnow in Holliday Unit in Huntsville. He has been there for 3 weeks. He is out of dianostics. He has been in review for parole. We find out the answer to wheither he gets it or not. Can some one tell me if chances of getting parole the first time is good. This is the first time he has ever been in prison. Also can some explain what is a projective release date is. Thanks
June

Odiesmom
08-14-2002, 02:56 PM
June, you can call this number and find out the status of his parole, if it's anything like mine, you'll probably get a "still under review reply", but I just keep calling once a week in hopes that I'll get something definate. Hope this helps some, oh have his TDCJ Number on hand, that's the first thing the operator will ask for, and be prepared to be on hold for a little while. 1-512- 406- 5202

David
08-14-2002, 03:43 PM
June,
Him making parole on his first hearing probably has a lot to do with the charges he received as well as the amount of time he was sentenced to. How long has he been in? You mentioned he just got out of diagnostics so I am assuming that he just got into the system? Please share with us a few more details and myself and others will do our best to fill in as many blanks as possible, or point you in the right direction. :)
David

June
08-14-2002, 04:01 PM
Odiesmom thank you for the number. David, my husband went in on a probation violation. He hadnt reported for three months was why he got the violation. His charge for the probation was 3rd dwi. He was sentence for 4 years. All jail time he has ever done since 99 has counted. Which got a year taken off his max out date. When his max out date is December 6, 2005. Before he even left the county jail last month they had him in review on parole. I had call about 3 weeks ago about hte status of his parole and was told they would know by November if he made it. This is so new to us and we have heard so many stories. I have been told he won't make first parole, then I was told he would cause of the prison over crowding. So I really don't know what to think. So any help or information is greatly apprieciated. Thank you so much

Shortie
08-14-2002, 07:27 PM
to be honest the chances of him getting out are not favorable.. Hey you never know but that is just in my experiences.. YOu rarely get out on that review just a paper thing really... to set the real parole date hearings...

Odiesmom
08-14-2002, 08:25 PM
June, My ex- husbands cousin went to the Holliday unit a few months back on repeat DWI's his parole was denied and the reason they offered was it was repeat of the same offense (tho I can tell you it was WAY more than 3) just keep a positive attitude, and call that number once a week. I truly hope he makes it!! Carla (Odiesmom)

tifa_execdir
08-15-2002, 02:52 PM
Dear all:

From what the members of the TBPP (Texas Board of Pardons and Parole) tell our TIFA members, and from the experiences shared by TIFA members themselves, getting released early after multiple DWIs is pretty rare. Among other reasons, the advocates for victims of drunk driving (MADD, etc.) are very organized and vocal with their elected officials and the powers within TDCJ and TBPP.

In any individual case, the inmate has a much better chance of being paroled if he/she can show how he/she has taken actions to change for the better, such as requesting every self-improvement program available (even if it is backlogged with a long waiting list), faithfully completing every program offered/enrolled, and otherwise showing an acceptance of responsibility for past substance abuse issues and a willingness/determination to avoid substance abuse in the future.

When the time for review comes up, the inmate and family should each request a hearing (in person or by phone) with the voting members of the board. If the hearing is granted, this will be your opportunity to show what supports are in place to ensure that the inmate will not re-offend when he is released, and that the family will not enable the substance abuse behavior.

If you can't get a hearing, you can still have everyone who knows the inmate submit letters of support, discussing the relationship they have with the inmate, their knowledge of his character and his efforts to improve, and how they plan to help him once he is released.

Best wishes!

June
08-15-2002, 09:32 PM
I got a letter today from my husband. He said he went and seen the parole. He said that they asked for our home phone number and address. Tommy said they are suppose to call me. Is this a good sign and why would they be wanting to call me? He also said that he gave them his mother in law's address. So could someone please explain as to why they would want my home phone number and address?

Odiesmom
08-17-2002, 10:15 PM
I recieved the same info from my son almost 2 months ago, that they were suppose to contact me by phone or a visit....HASN'T HAPPENED YET...and he's within 2 wks of supposedly getting his answer, tho we've hit some snags 2 say the least........I have talked to a neighbor of mine whose son has been in & outta prison all is adult life( drugs) and every time he has made parole he has gone to her house...they have NEVER visited there prior to his release, just afterward by the P.O. , not to say they won't call/visit , just they didn't call her, and they haven't called or visited us, tho like I said we've hit some "JUDICIAL SCREWINGS" since then...My advice...don't count on ANY THING TEXAS LAW SAYS IT WILL DO!! Carla (ODIESMOM)

willow
08-21-2002, 07:00 PM
Hello everyone
I just found out that my husband was transferred to the Holliday Unit. I thought I'd seen a map to the units but now I can't remember where I saw it. I went to TIFA but it isn't there. Can someone direct me to a map source for this unit. Also can someone tell me what this unit is like. etc.
Many thanks
Willow

June
08-21-2002, 08:07 PM
Willow, I am going to see my husband at the holliday unit this saturday. I don't have a map but i can suggest to go to mapquest and they will give you directions straight to the front gate. As for as what it is like, my husband hasnt said anything bad yet. But when I get back from visitation i will post to let you know how the visitation went. If you need any information about Holiday let me know and i will see if I can find out for you this weekend.

Odiesmom
08-21-2002, 08:30 PM
Willow, I think this is the site you're looking for. Hope it helps! Odiesmom =0) Go to www.tdcj.state.tx.us/index.htm

willow
08-21-2002, 08:43 PM
June I emailed you. Thank you for the help. Odiesmom Thank you too. I knew it had to be somewhere.
Willoe

Shortie
08-27-2002, 07:16 PM
Glad to see the team work in here that is great...

BabyLu
08-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi, my name June and my husband is Tommy who is as ofnow in Holliday Unit in Huntsville. He has been there for 3 weeks. He is out of dianostics. He has been in review for parole. We find out the answer to wheither he gets it or not. Can some one tell me if chances of getting parole the first time is good. This is the first time he has ever been in prison. Also can some explain what is a projective release date is. Thanks
June
I don't know~depends on what his offense is.Could you give me the P O Box number for the Holliday unit~please and thank you

BabyLu
08-02-2009, 07:29 PM
I don't know~depends on what his offense is.Could you give me the P O Box number for the Holliday unit~please and thank you
Projected release date is what the state decided his release date is without him being paroled

piercedkitten83
08-04-2009, 07:08 PM
BabyLu - this topic is 7 years old, but I can give you the address for holliday Unit -

295 IH 45 North
Huntsville TX 77320-8443

karynhouston
10-07-2010, 09:42 AM
My son was transferred to the Holiday on Sept 15th 2010 and he is telling me by a letter that he is just finishing up his intake process and still may be moved. I have no idea about parole and what to do with that but he is saying I need to help him out with that, because he is going to be maybe paroled early. What do I do and how do I do it? Anything you can help me with would be great.
Thank YOU

MamaB58
10-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Hi Karyn, sorry I didnt see this post sooner. My son came up for parole about 4 mos after he entered into Holliday. Some people will actually hire a parole attorney to do the parole packet for them, and some do it themselves. A parole packet basically is a folder of information for the board to look at which includes such things as letters of reference from people that know him, such as family members, church members, teachers, employers, etc. A letter from someone who will let the board know they will be there to support him, financially, spiritually, and offer him a place to live. Also good are any letters of employment, copies of education, ged, dipolomas, etc., a few pictures, anything that will let the board see who he is instead of just his charge. He will also need to write his own letter. Follow this link to the Texas parole preparation forum which will give examples of parole packets. Any questions you have on this subject feel free to post in that forum and someone will be along shortly to help you out! Good luck!

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=594