View Full Version : Alderson (FPC) Federal Prison Camp - West Virginia

miss upset
12-05-2003, 06:52 PM
Could anyone give me any information about Alderson fpc? Such as : how many can visit at one time? how long can you visit at one time? Please if anyone can answer these questions or can give me any other type of info that we need to know about the place please, please contact me asap. we have not had our first visit but have millions of questions and thoughts. Thanks

justvicki
12-06-2003, 12:34 AM
Miss Upset,

I was at Alderson for 16 months and came home this past February. I think I can answer your questions for you. Before you can visit, all visitors have to be approved and placed on the inmate's visitation list. You are automatically on the list if you (or any other adult visitors) are listed in the inmate's PSI. If you are not in the PSI, you have to complete an application form, and they will do a background check and notify the inmate if you are approved. This can take several weeks depending on the counselor.

Each inmate can have 3 adults and an unlimited number of children under 16 visit at one time. The regular visitation hours are from 8a - 8p Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and from 8a - 3p on Mondays. Visits are rarely terminated early because of overcrowding at Alderson. They have a very nice visitation center with a special room for kids filled with toys and activities. If the weather is nice you can go outside and sit on the covered patio or tables and swings. They have vending machines and a good assortment of soda, sandwiches, pizza, chips, candy and other snacks. If you can bring rolls of quarters with you because sometimes the change machines are out. During the holdiays (Christmas to New Year's) the visitation hours are extended. Weekdays are from 8a-3p everyday, and regular visitation hours Friday-Sunday. If you plan to visit on Christmas Day, you are able to attend church services with your loved one, but you have to be there before 12 noon and inform the officers on duty that you will be attending church.

If you have an other questions or need more information, please send me a private message and I will be glad to help you. Oh, and by the way, there is also a Hospitality House near the camp where you can stay for free or for a small donation.

Vicki

stillmommysgirl
04-24-2004, 02:30 AM
Hi I am new here and my mother is being sent to Alderson. Please tell me all you can as far as the treatment and the work they make u do. Shes a very unhealthy person.

justvicki
04-24-2004, 07:51 AM
Let's see if I can give you some general information.

Alderson is not a bad place to be if you have to do time. The compound looks exactly like a college campus. In fact, when it opened in 1927, it was modeled after one in Maryland. I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you see the surroundings. There are no fences, no barbed wire, and no locked doors.

You are not allowed to bring anything with you as far as clothing is concerned. You will be dressed out when you get to receiving and discharge (R&D) and then sent to laundry for the rest of your clothing, shoes and linen. The women in R&D aren't usually difficult, and usually the process goes smoothly. They will do a visual search, and you will have to squat and cough; try to prepare yourself for that if you have never experienced it before.

You can have your wedding ring, a religious necklace, and I think a pair of small hoop earrings. That's it as far as jewlery is concerned. Nothing except pictures (no Polaroids) can be sent to you by your loved ones. They used to allow your friends and family to send you magazine, and paperback books, but they were in the process of changing that policy when I left, so I am not sure where that stands.

All new commits are housed in Building A on the upper compound. It is commonly referred to as the "Range". It is a two story brick building that is less than 5 years old, and is divided into four sections; Range 1, Range 2, Range 3, and Range 4. There are 124 women in each range, and all new commits start off in Range 1. You will be placed in a "cube" where there is a bunk bed, two lockers, two under the bed lockers and a roommate. Each range has three TV rooms. microwaves, vending machines (snacks and pop), washers and dryers (if you don't want the laundry to do your clothes) and two large shower rooms. They even have a hair room where you can use blow dryers, curling irons and hair dryers. Range 1 and 2 are downstairs and Range 3 and 4 are upstairs.

Bring money with you, either cash or a money order. Are you a self surrender or are you going thru Oklahoma? Your funds will be placed on an account for you and you will be issued a Debitek card. After that all your money has to be sent to a lock box in Marietta, Ga and they will be electronically transferred to your account. You will use this card in the vending machines, the washers and dryers and for commissary.

Let's talk a little bit about the phones. You are allowed 300 minutes a month for telephone calls. Last year they increased those minutes to 400 for the months of November and December. You can either prepay your telephone calls, and they will cost about $2.50 for a 15 minute call anywhere in the United States or call collect and it will cost $8.00 to $10.00 per 15 minute call. You are able to transfer funds from your commissary account to your telephone account for prepaid calls.

You will spend two weeks in A & O (Admission and Orientation) learning the ins and outs of Alderson. The staff member who conducts these sessions is Darlene Johnson. She is a very nice person, but she is straight up, so don't be late for A & O. She will telll you about it in a heat beat and she will give you extra duty. So be early for A & O. It normally does not last all day, and you will have some free time during the day. After you complete A & O and are medically cleared, you will be placed in a job. Everyone works at Alderson. Usually everyone starts out in CDR (Central Dining Room). It's hard work and normally you can transfer to another position after 90 days. The food was very good when I was there. I do know there has been a change in CDR supervisors, so I'm not sure what you will find. We had a beverage bar, soup bar, salad bar, and hot bar in addition to the main line.

The personnel in Health Services has changed since I left, but you must be medically cleared to remain at Alderson as it is a work camp and everyone
has to work. Not all jobs are strenuous, and for the most part you are placed in a position with your physical limitiations in mind.

For the most part the staff and officers are pretty cool. Just do not try to put anything over on them; be where you are supposed to be when you are supposed to be, doing what you are supposed to be doing. NEVER make one of them look for you, and you will be fine, and NEVER screw up count.

There are anywhere from 900-1100 women at Alderson, but the compound is large and all of them are never in one place at one time, so it's not so noticeable. Once you complete A & O, and are working you will be moved out of Range 1 into one of the other ranges because you are no longer a new commit. When I was there you were eligible to move to a cottage after three months of clear conduct (it used to be a six months and a year). Cottages house 60 - 80 women and are much less noisey and chaotic. They are older buildings, mostly on the lower compound, and are exactly like college dorm buildings. There is a new warden there, she is a female and from NC, but she arrived after I left and I do not know much about her.

There is a lot to do to stay busy there in addition to your job. If you do not have your GED you will have to go to class. That's mandatory. I was a teacher's aide when I was at Alderson. There are also business classes and some college classes available. They also have a cosmetolgy class that takes 18 months to complete, and the inmates are able to have their hair cut, permed, and dyed. They even offer facials, manicures, and pedicures. There is no cost to the inmates; you just have to purchase your perms and dyes from commissary. There is a rec center, law and reading library, volleyball team, softball team, tennis court, craft classes, and you are allowed to be on the compound from 6 am - 10 pm except during count. The chaplain there is an incredible woman by the name of Rev. Elizabeth Walker, and there are many, many types of all denominational services offered. Some of the choirs will blow you away! So much talent.

I hope I am not overwhelming you with all of this information. If West Virginia is a long way from home for you, but if your family is able to visit there is a hospitality house where they are able to stay free of charge, and visiting is great at Alderson. It's all contact, they have a children's center, you are able to eat from the vending machines, walk outside and sit at picnic tables.

If you have any other questions, or need anything, please feel free to PM me.

triplel
04-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Thanks, guysgal, that was incredibly informative! and right on with my sister's experiences so far.

I have a few updates to guysgal's post that I can share since my sister is there right now (She surrendered in early April so I know some details but learning the rest as time goes on.)
Magazines and paperback books can still be sent by family and friends - that hasn't been changed yet. Money is now being sent to a lockbox in Des Moines, Iowa (not Marietta, GA). Phone calls are 3.00 per fifteen minutes.

My sister's job was cleaning until she got re-assigned. My sister says she's really busy - she's working and taking all kinds of classes, parenting, crafts, walking. She does a LOT of walking, I don't know if that's by choice or if it's because the facility is sprawled out (probably some of both.) She repeatedly tells me it's not too bad and that I should stop worrying so much about her.

Stillmommysgirl - It seems I might be a few steps ahead of you in this process so if there is ever anything I can help with, don't hesitate to ask. If I know anything that can help you I will gladly share.

stillmommysgirl
04-24-2004, 10:30 PM
Thank you very much. You both have helped me so much. I guess the only thing I worry about is her health and the "working" part. She has so many asthma attacks it scares me. What will they do with her if she cannot perform the job she is assigned?? Again thank you both for helping me through this.

stillmommysgirl
04-24-2004, 10:38 PM
One more question. She is on medicine for her health. Will they give her medicines like she is supposed to have them?

cjjack
04-24-2004, 11:15 PM
It was my understanding that Alderson is now accepting money in Marrietta now instead of Des Moines. I believe this changed recently. I made a phone call a few weeks ago to Alderson for someone about sending money and they told me the address was in Marietta.
Also, I believe you can have up to 5 adult visitors. I will check and verify this.

justvicki
04-24-2004, 11:29 PM
stillmommysgirl,

Your mom should bring a list of her medications with her. When she is booked at R&D (Receiving and Discharge) she will either see someone from Health Services there, or be sent to Health Services before she goes to her housing unit. When I was at Alderson, inmates were allowed to keep all non-narcotic medications with them, including inhalers. Injections of any kind, pain medication, allergy meds, any kind of sedative had to be dispensed at Health Services by medical staff.

Again, Alderson is a work camp. All inmates are assigned a job once they have been medically cleared. Jobs are supposed to assigned according to an inmate's physical limitations. It was my experience while I was there, if an inmate cannot be medically cleared ,to do even the most menial task, they were transferred to a medical facility. You might want to double check this with PTO members cjjack, grayghost, or jackdaniels. :)

stillmommysgirl
04-24-2004, 11:49 PM
OK That makes me feel much better. She has to turn herself in on May 10th. I will be driving her there. its going to be rough leaving her because I have always taken care ofr you. Im gonna miss her greatly. But shes only doing 4 months so maybe time will go by fast. I told her what you all have said about the prison camp and she wanted me to thank you for making her more at ease before she goes.

stillmommysgirl
05-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Hi do you know of anyone that is at Alderson riht now that might would be a good friend to my mother. Shes a loving christian lady who lvoes her family. She is scared to death of going. Shes 53 . If you know of anyone that would be her friend please let me know. Its almost time for her to leave and its getting harder and harder to comprehand shes really leaving. She will only be gone 4 months so hopefully it will go fast. She self surrenders on May 10th (some mothers day :(

triplel
05-06-2004, 05:13 PM
My sister is there now. I'll PM you with more info.

triplel
05-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Here's a list of items my sister was told was allowed in during self surrender.
cash/ money order
a religious medal or cross and chain (valued at no more than $100)
a pair of earrings (valued at no more than $100)
wedding band
eyeglasses
legal documents (not all legal documents, though, not sure which ones are allowed, it's probably best to ask)
medications (again, not all will necessarily go in with you)
picture ID (to be kept on file during stay)

Photos, books (including bible) can/should be sent via mail - not taken in at self surrender.

The mailing address is
Name
Reg #
Federal Prison Camp
Box A, Range 1
Alderson, WV 24910

I guess all new commits start in Range 1, when they move you will need to change the address accordingly.

Be sure all mail has recipients name, number and a return address on it.
Photos can be sent, no Polaroids.
Soft cover books and magazines can be sent. I was told they need to be wrapped in brown paper or envelope (no boxes!) and should be labeled on the package as "Reading Material" or "Books/Magazines Enclosed".
Hard back books must be sent directly from the distributor/publisher. ( I haven't done this yet, so I don't know all the rules)
A calendar can be sent, wrapped in brown paper or envelope and labeled "Institution Approved".
There is a maximum number of items a person can receive in one day or have in their possession (5 books, 2 magazines, etc). I'm not sure if this varies.

You can't mail stamps or stamped envelopes. For you creative types or those with kids/grandkids, incoming mail can't have stickers, glue, glitter, or tape. Keep it to paper and writing instruments (cut-outs, crayons, markers, pens are ok, not sure about paint).

I hope this helps.

stillmommysgirl
05-11-2004, 05:18 AM
The day finally came when I had to drive my own mother to the gates of Alderson. It was a 4 and 1/2 hour drive for us and she cried the whole way. I feel so bad. I cant even imagine what shes feeling right now. I just miss her so much and cant wait til the day shes free again. Even though this was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, thanks alot to those that made it a bit easier for us both.

stillmommysgirl
05-13-2004, 05:38 AM
Today is the 4th day mom has been at Alderson. She told me that they only gave her half of her meds. Even though I gave them the DR's prescription for her. I called them and they said that the medical staff would see shes taken care of, then I told them that they havent gave her meds that she needs. The guy just got smart with me and said "THERE EVALUATING HER! IF THEY THINK SHE DONT NEED IT SHE WONT GET IT" . Why are they like that. She said everyone was good to her and she has a friend but I cant help worry about her. She said she has to walk a long way to even call me. She couldnt even walk at home because she has astma really bad. She will have to take a couple steps then stop. Thank God for her friend because she says she holds right on to her when shes walking. She called me the day after she was in and told us she was fine and not to worry, so I felt sooooo much better. Then yesterday when she called she was crying saying she just wants to come home. She ripped my heart out. I sent her 150.00 This is only day 4 and shes only got 40 bucks left. How expensive are the things in there? ! wow! And all she bought was her necessities and phone time. Anyway Im just worried so bad. I cant seem to take care of things here at home for worrying so much. I am very depressed. Anyone got advise?

Bonnie
05-15-2004, 11:03 PM
Stillmommysgirl,

I sat here and red all the posts from day one, and I hurt so bad inside for you. I can't even begin to imagine the pain you feel inside for your mom. It has to be so hard for her, but you have to give her the strength from inside YOU to make it the four months. She has to see YOUR strength and draw from that! She is very fragile now, so all the letters you can send her, and thinking of you cards, and miss you cards will make the biggest impact on her, and let her know she is NOT forgotten and you are thinking of her every minute of the day.

She should have more money than that, but phone calls do get expensive, and everything she can do without she needs to. I don't know how different fed prisons are from state prisons but the things my husband buys at Huttonsville aren't that expensive, so I don't know where on earth 110 dollars would go.

I will keep you guys in my prayers. My heart is really hurting for her. And for you.
If you ever need me, I am just a PM away. Use it anytime you want. I have broad shoulders and two good ears, and AM here for you any time!

stillmommysgirl
05-17-2004, 03:36 AM
Thanks so much for all of you that are helping me get through this. Mom actually looked good. It tore my heart into when I left and she was crying and begging me to stay though. I stayed til visiting hours were over Sat and Sunday. I plan on going back next weekend. Its hard on my pocketbook though. Its 4 hours from here to there. Shes worth it though. Its sad to see some of the ladies in there serving 10 or 20 years. I feel so bad for them. Moms release date is August 28th. So shes not in for long its just so unreal her even being there. Shes a good church lady. Never has a harmful word to say about anyone. She loves alot of her new friends there and they help her alot walking up and down the hill. She got a van pass to ride the bus to lunch. She just dont eat their food that much. We sent her more money. She has bought a t-shirt, different foods, stamps and envelopes. Shes also done laundry with her money. Thank God she doesnt smoke or we wouldnt be able to keep her up in money. They dont have air in there building that shes in and someone with asthma that can be deadly. She is going to buy a fan and see if that helps her some. She said sometimes she wakes up where its so hot haveing a hard time breathing. I mean I know this isnt the Holiday Inn or anything but you would think that they would at least have air for these ladies, not only my mother. This place is just a place to bring money in. They have to pay to breath there. Where does the federal taxes go? They make a killing from these ladies!

Bonnie
05-17-2004, 12:23 PM
I will be here to help you as much as you need. I am the WV State Coordinator for the Jeff Dicks Medical Coalition, so if your mom has trouble getting medical treatment or something she really needs for her asthma, or whatever, just contact me, and I will do everything in my power to see she gets the attention she deserves and needs. I am here too if you need me. You take care, and God's speed in bringing her home again.

You're in my prayers!

stillmommysgirl
05-18-2004, 01:50 PM
Thank you. She said they are evaluationg her. I just dont see how a doctor that has taken care of someone for eyars and years and knows of her chronic lung desease can be wrong. They still havent given her breathing pills but they did however give her inhaler. It helps her alot though. MAybe they know what there doing. I called them the other day and asked them why mom didnt have all her meds, which I think I put that in another post but anyway they went to mom and asked her why I was told she didnt have her meds. Mom begged me not to say anything else. She is afraid they will do or say something to her. She said shes gonna try to tough it out. God I cant wait til 4 months is up and she get s to come home. I worry so much about her. My heart tears into everytime I think of her. Thank God shes got some people there that do care for her though.

BillnDenise
05-18-2004, 07:08 PM
Stillmommysgirl....I may be late, but welcome to the WV forum...I'm Denise and my Sweetie is in FCI Beckley...we both live here in WV...My heart goes out to you and your family...you came to the right place for support and friendship...

Hugs,

stillmommysgirl
05-19-2004, 11:20 PM
Thank you very much. I agree this place has been wonderful as far as support goes. I had some to help me accept the fact shes going to go to prison. Then I had some to tell me what to expect as I take her for her surrender. Now I have onlgoing support from online friends thats helping me make it through her 4 months at Alderson. Mom is actually doing better then I had expected her to do. I still worry about her and cry alot. At least I know shes got friends there thats helping her so her health wont get any worse. Im praying she stays strong until August 28. Her release date was Sept 9th but they said something about her getting 10 % taken away (yesssssss) so now she gets out August 28th. Thank God! And thanks to everyone that is helping me get through this. Its only been 2 weeks and I got a ways to go yet but I feel a little better knowing shes coping.

kintml2u
05-22-2004, 06:16 AM
"A late"

Welcome to PTO!

You are in very capable hands here with guysgal!

You also might want to check out the Federal Prison Forum on PTO. You can find it at the following link!
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=186

triplel
05-24-2004, 08:03 PM
I had my first visit with my sister, YAY! It was so great to see her. And I feel comfortable taking her kids to see her - we're going back in a month. It's too far to drive to go back any sooner.

Stillmommysgirl - thanks so much for sharing your visiting experiences with me. It really helped to know what to expect. I hope each day keeps getting better for you and your family.

stillmommysgirl
05-25-2004, 10:18 AM
Triplel,
I hope you had a wonderful visit. The hardest part is leaving. I actually think at one time this past weekend you was sitting behind me and my mom. We were in the lobby where you check in at. There were some people setting behind us and if it was you, you introduced yourfamily to someone. I heard someone say "this is my sister (her name)" then not long after that you all walked outside. I was gonna say something but I was afraid it wasnt you. I didnt even get a good look at what they looked like becuase I was back to back with you , if in fact it was you. I regret not asking now but Im sure we will meet up again. I been going every week but not this weekend because the traffic is going to be too bad. But im going back the week after. Hope to see ya there.

kintml2u
10-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Here is a link that will lead to more threads here on PTO that mention "Alderson"

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=721199

David
04-16-2005, 02:04 AM
Could anyone give me any information about Alderson fpc? Such as : how many can visit at one time? how long can you visit at one time? Please if anyone can answer these questions or can give me any other type of info that we need to know about the place please, please contact me asap. we have not had our first visit but have millions of questions and thoughts. Thanks
I wonder if this person (with one post) knew that this thread would be the most viewed thread on PTO today. (April 15, 2005) Of course, I suppose we have to give Martha Stewart credit for going to prison post thread facto, but still... ;)

Hope things have gone well for you and yours, Miss upset.

Also, thanks to all who have shared Alderson Federal Prison Camp information @ PTO.

sampson
01-17-2006, 08:05 PM
:thumbsup: Have female friend mid-twenties in county jail,Charlotte,North Carolina.She is praying to be assigned to Alderson.She would like to know if there is computer access and if they have limits?? Thanks for your help..Sampson

Atalie
01-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Sampson, welcome to PTO.

sampson
01-21-2006, 09:05 PM
Hello to everyone,and all the information on this web site has been very helpful.My question is:Could anyone give me any updated information on how to prepare yourself for first time in Alderson..She is a mid-twenties female scared to death..Examples like job assignments and bunking facilities.Also do you have computer accessibility?? My many thanks to this and all prison web sites. Thanks Sampson:thumbsup:

linjw0727
01-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Hello, I have not been on here for a few months. I was reading your post. I have a sister at Alderson. She has about 18 more months left. I have been there several times to visit. The post that I have read are really true. It is a very comfortable surrounding. The only problem is with the medical staff. But I guess we all wish our loved ones were taken better care of. My sister was sent to Texas to a hostipal there for four months. They tool care of things there and then sent her back. She was glad to come back there. I have met a few of the girls and everyone is just as nice as they can be. My sister takes a lot of classes. She works also. That is a working camp. try not to worry to much, The girls there look after each other and always they all are feeling the same way. they made the mistakes and now they want to feel better by paying for the crime. I thnk you said that your mother would be in for 4 months. That will go by so quick. I know it seems long now but each day gets a little easier. My sister have been in for over a year and has over a year left. We learn to accept it and give her all the support she needs. Try not to worry to much. My sister is 52 and her son will be graduation from highschool the month she returns. We try go make goals and time seems to go by faster. I'll say a prayer for you and your mom

selah7
02-23-2006, 01:33 AM
This has been updated with current information as of December 2005/January 2006

FPC Alderson

History
Opened in 1927, houses female offenders

Security Level
minimum/female

Population
As of February 2006 the FCI inmate populations was 1108. Weekly figures are available on BOP's website at www.bop.gov/locations/weekly_report.jsp (http://www.bop.gov/locations/weekly_report.jsp)

Education
The institution offers GED, ESL, adult education and correspondence courses.

Vocational/Apprenticeship
Vocational training for cosmetology, horticulture, library assistant. Additionally there are masonry, HVAC, electric and plumbing programs.

Library
Both the law library and leisure library are open Monday through Friday from 9:30 am to 8:45 p.m. The library is open Saturday and Sunday from 12:30 pm to 8:45 pm. There are electric typewriters reserved for the preparation of legal documents. Additionally there are several other typewriters available for all other typing. A copier is also available. Copies are charged to an inmates debit card and were $.15/copy as of 12/01/05. Inmates can obtain books from the Alderson public library via an inter-library loan program.

UNICOR
They are currently trying to start a call center. As of 12/01/05 UNICOR was not operational, however, you may get put on a waiting list and begin training for the call center.

Counseling/Rehab services
The institution offers a residential drug and alcohol treatment program, a drug education program, and alcoholics anonymous and narcotics anonymous groups. The psychology department is staffed by full time psychologists.

Health Services
The institution is staffed by a physician, 5-6 physicians assistants, a nurse, dentist and a pharmacist. Outpatient care is provided. Local hospitals are approximately 20 minutes away. The pill line is available for morning, afternoon and evening dossages, seven days a week. Sick call sign up is from 6:30 to 7 a.m. four days a week. At least one physician assistant is on duty or on call 24hours/7 days per week. There is a $2 fee for sick call unless it is a chronic care issue.

Housing
There are two buildings (A and B) that house inmates. Each building has four separate ranges (about 120 women per range). Inmates are housed in two man cells. The television viewing rooms are open daily from 6 am to 11 pm Sunday through Thursday, 6 am to 2 am Friday and Saturday.

Smoking Areas
Inmates are permitted to smoke in designated areas but they are phasing this out in the Spring of 2006

Fitness/Recreation
The recreation department offers a fitness area (treadmill, stair stepper, bicycles, elliptical, videos: aerobic, yoga, fitness), musical instruments, and a wellness program. The hobby craft center offers leather craft, drawing, beading, crochet, ceramics and clay.

Religious Services
The institution is staffed by one full time chaplain, Chaplain Elizabeth Walker and one volunteer service officer, Christy Ford. Additionally there are contract and volunteer staff to provide services for various religious groups.

SHOWERS/RESTROOM
The restrooms are completely private. The showers are individual stalls. There are no bathtubs. Shower shoes are a must though.

Telephone Policy
Inmates have 300 minutes per month. During November and December the minutes are increased to 400 minutes. Calls may be deducted from inmates commissary account or collect calls may be made. There are 8 - 10 telephones in each range (housing unit). Telephones are operational from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm.

These calls cost about $2.50 for a 15 minute call anywhere in the United States if pre-paid or call collect and it will cost $8.00 to $10.00 per 15 minute call. It is always cheaper to add funds from the commissary account to the telephone account and pre-pay the calls.

Inmate mail
INMATE NAME
REGISTER NUMBER and Building and Range (Building “A” or “B” and Range “1, 2, 3, or 4”)
FPC Alderson
PO Box A
Alderson, WV 24910

All SOFT cover books and magazines should be wrapped in brown paper or envelope (no boxes!) and should ALWAYS be labeled on the package as "BOP Approved Reading Material" or "Books/Magazines Enclosed". Hard back books must be sent directly from the distributor/publisher. Please make sure that included in the address is the Inmate Reg # along with Federal Prison Camp - Alderson. (See BOP Program Statement 5266.10, Incoming Publications: PROCEDURES § 540.71)

A calendar can be sent, wrapped in brown paper or envelope and labeled "Institution Approved/Calendar".
Photos can be sent, no Polaroids - no more than 25 total in inmate's possession. We were told that NEW soft cover books and magazines can be sent. There is a maximum number of items a person can have in their possession (5 books, 2 magazines, 25 pictures, etc).

You can't mail stamps or stamped envelopes. Nothing stapled or pasted. NO food or music of any sort is allowed. I cannot receive tapes or CD's either. For you creative types or those with kids: incoming mail can't have stickers, glue, paint, glitter, or tape. Also, make sure that cards do not have any glitter, tape or glued parts - just simple store bought cards are fine.

Always include your return address and it might be a good idea to write on the back across the flap of the envelope "contents:..." and a list of what you are sending (ie. letter, 2 pages; 3 pictures; etc.) so inmate will know if anything's been removed.

At FPC Alderson there is absolutely no access to the internet and generally no access to a computer. Thus no e-mail.

Visiting Hours
Most of this info can be found on www.bop.gov (http://www.bop.gov/) or call 304-445-2901 with questions.
Inmates are limited to 20 visitors on their visiting list. Immediate family members are usually approved promptly because they are generally on inmate’s PSI. If not automatically approved, then each visitor must complete an application for review and approval BEFORE being added to visiting list. Inmate will need to send visitor an application. The application must be sent back to the counselor NOT the inmate. BOP will do a background check and will then notify the inmate if you are approved or not. This can take several weeks depending on the counselor. If you have a prior arrest record that does not automatically mean you can not visit, this will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. An inmate can have 4 adult visitors at a time, more may be allowed with prior approval through staff. You can have up to 6 children with those adults at a time.

Visiting Hours are Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Thursday – 8:15am – 3:15pm
Friday – 2:15pm – 9:30pm.

Visitor's are permitted to wear shorts (no shorter than 4" above the knee). No miniskirts, halter tops, see-through clothing, sleeveless or anything considered to be revealing. Sandals are allowed, however, house/shower shoes/flipflops are not allowed. This dress code applies to adults and children. It is best to always carry an extra set of conservative clothing in the car - in case a CO states that someone is dressed inappropriately - so that you can hurry and change before coming into the facility.

Visitors may bring the following items 1 clear plastic purse/bag, 1 lipstick, 1 facial compact, 1 comb or brush, 2 packs unopened cigarettes, 1 cigarette lighter, 3 packs matches, 2 cans/ pouches tobacco, money (change and dollar bills). Also allowed to bring INFANT baby items including diaper bag, baby carrier, food, bottles, unopened formula, lotion, powder, blanket, change of clothes, ointment, wipes, toy.

Visitors may bring prescription medicines for their use (to be left at officer station while visiting). This is right out of the handbook. This list is not all inclusive, it does not address items that are part of an individual's person such as jewelry, eye glasses, billfold, etc for which all are authorized.

Visitors need driver's license, state ID card or two forms of ID with full name and signature to be allowed to visit. Visitor must also know their license plate number, make, year and color of car driving. Also, make sure that you have current registration and insurance – as some facilities require this.

Visitors may not leave anything or exchange items with inmate. This includes letters. You cannot bring anything to show inmate at all!

Inmates are authorized to wear institution issued pants, shirt and shoes. A commissary purchased t-shirt (not sleeve-less) or sweatshirt may be worn. Inmates may take the following to the visiting room: commissary card, jewelry (will be inventoried when you enter and when you leave), picture stubs.

Cameras are prohibited as are cell phones or any electronic devices. Inmates can purchase pictures via commissary prior to visit.

Visits are seldom terminated early because of overcrowding at Alderson. They have a very nice visitation center with a special room for kids filled with toys and activities. If the weather is nice you can go outside and sit on the covered patio or tables and swings. It is an all contact visit. Spouses can kiss and hug for 3 seconds upon arrival and upon departure. Adults can also embrace for 3 seconds upon arrival and departure. Children can sit on parents laps as long as they are not creating a disturbance or spectacle. There is a fenced in area outside with picnic tables. There is also swings for the kids.

They have vending machines and a good assortment of soda, sandwiches, pizza, chips, candy and other snacks. It is best to bring rolls of quarters with you because sometimes the change machines are out. Although one and five dollar bills are taken by the vending machines - they run out of change quickly.

During the holidays (Christmas to New Year's) the visitation hours are extended. Weekdays are from 8a-3p everyday, and regular visitation hours Friday-Sunday.

Alderson Hospitality House
The Alderson Hospitality House is a ministry for the friends and relatives of the women inmates housed at FPC, Alderson, WV. It is a religious run hospitality house in Alderson where people can stay when they come to visit. The phone number there is 304.445.2980. It is best to call two weeks ahead of time if you want to stay there.

If West Virginia is a long way from home for you, but if your family is able to visit they are able to stay free of charge or offer a small donation if they would like.

Alderson Hospitality House
203 High St
PO Box 579
Alderson WV 24910
Phone: 304-445-2980

Alderson Hospitality House provides housing, meals, transportation, information, and support to families and friends of women inmates at Alderson Federal Prison Camp. And they absolutely allow children and they are wonderful with them.

Additional Hotels
There is a motel right outside the gates at Alderson. It's called the Riverview and the number is 304-445-2550

Commissary
The commissary is open for regular sales Monday through Thursday. Shopping days are assigned by an inmates register number. Each person is permitted to shop on their designated shopping day. BOP policy currently sets a monthly commissary spending limit of $290. Funds may NOT be sent directly to the prison.

Deposit Fund History
In 1930 the Department of Justice authorized and established a Commissary at each Federal institution. The Commissary was created to provide a bank type account for inmate monies and for the procurement of articles not regularly issued as part of the institution administration. The purpose of individual inmate Commissary accounts is to allow the Bureau of Prisons to maintain inmates' monies while they are incarcerated. Family, friends, or other sources may deposit funds into these accounts.
Funds may be sent to Federal inmates via the United States Postal Service (http://www.bop.gov/inmate_programs/money.jsp#USPS) or via the Western Union Quick Collect Program (http://www.bop.gov/inmate_programs/money.jsp#Quick_Collect). In either case, the inmate must physically be housed at a Federal Bureau of Prisons' facility before funds can be received and posted. If the inmate is not physically in a Federal Bureau of Prisons' facility, the funds cannot be posted and will be returned or rejected.
U.S. Postal Service
Inmates' families and friends choosing to send inmates funds through the mail must send those funds to the following address and in accordance with the directions provided below:
Federal Bureau of Prisons
Insert Valid Committed Inmate Name
Insert Inmate Eight Digit Register Number
Post Office Box 474701
Des Moines, Iowa 50947-0001
The deposit must be in the form of a money order made out to the inmate's full committed name and complete eight digit register number. The Bureau of Prisons will return funds that do not have valid inmate information to the sender provided the envelope has an adequate return address. Personal checks and cash can not be accepted for deposit.
The sender's name and return address must appear on the upper left hand corner of the envelope to ensure that the funds can be returned to the sender in the event that they can not be posted to the inmate's account. The deposit envelope must not contain any items intended for delivery to the inmate. The Bureau of Prisons shall dispose of all items included with the funds.
In the event funds have been mailed but have not been received in the inmate's account and adequate time has passed for mail service to Des Moines, Iowa, the sender must initiate a tracer with the entity who sold them the money order to resolve any issues.
Western Union Quick Collect Program
Inmates' families and friends may also send inmates funds through Western Union's Quick Collect Program. All funds sent via Western Union's Quick Collect will be posted to the inmate's account within two to four hours, when those funds are sent between 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. EST (seven days per week, including holidays). Funds received after 9:00 pm EST will be posted by 7:00 am EST the following morning. Funds sent to an inmate through the Quick Collect Program may be sent via one of the following ways:
1) At an agent location with cash: The inmate's family or friends must complete a Quick Collect Form. Click here (http://www.bop.gov/inmate_programs/qc_form_amended.pdf) to view a sample Quick Collect Form. To find the nearest agent, they may call 1-800-325-6000 or go to www.westernunion.com (http://www.bop.gov/disclaimer.jsp?url=www.westernunion.com).
2) By phone using a credit/debit card: The inmate's family or friends may simply call 1-800-634-3422 and press option 2.
3) ONLINE using a credit/debit card: The inmate's family and friends may go to www.westernunion.com (http://www.bop.gov/disclaimer.jsp?url=www.westernunion.com) and select "Quick Collect".
For each Western Union Quick Collect transaction, the following information must be provided:
1) Valid Inmate Eight Digit Register Number
2) Committed Inmate Name
3) Code City: FBOP
4) State code: DC
Please note that the inmate's committed name and eight digit register number must be entered correctly. If the sender does not provide the correct information, the transaction cannot be completed. The Code City is always FBOP and the State Code is always DC.
Each transaction is accepted or rejected at the point of sale. The sender has the sole responsibility of sending the funds to the correct inmate. If an incorrect register number and/or name are used and accepted and posted to that inmate, funds may not be returned.
Any questions or concerns regarding Western Union transfers should be directed to Western Union by the sender (general public). Questions or concerns should not be directed to the Federal Bureau of Prisons.
For additional information concerning inmate Commissary account deposit procedures, please see the Bureau of Prisons Trust Fund/Warehouse/Laundry Manual (PS 4500.04) or 28 CFR Parts 506 and 540. For information concerning a specific deposit, please contact Federal Bureau of Prisons' staff at 202-307-2712 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. ET.
Commissary Card
Each inmate is given an identification card which is also their commissary card. This card is utilized when inmate makes purchases at the commissary as well as debitek to be used for the washer/dryer, copier, and vending machines.

Spending Limits
There is a spending limit set by the BOP (max $290). Stamps and telephone credits are excluded from the monthly spending. There is a limit on the number of stamps you can purchase or accumulate. Overspending or signing for a withdrawal of funds when there is insufficient funds may result in disciplinary action.

A maximum of $40 can be placed on the card for debitek. There are no refunds and the vending machines do malfunction, thus use at your own risk. Lost/stolen or broken cards can be replaced for $5.

Alderson has a great commissary compared to other prisons. Available items include tennis shoes, umbrella, sweats, sweatshirt, t-shirts, hat, scarf, gloves, personal care items, food, small transistor radios, watches, craft materials including yarn, and writing materials.

Shopping when arriving:
Suggestion: Inmates should try to bring no more than $300 at self-surrender if they have resistution. This will protect you if you have FRP (restitution). Generally the first or second day of arrival, the inmate is often allowed a trip to the commissary to buy a variety of things to get them started, until their next designated shopping day.

FOR INMATE PREPARATION - Notes from various members of PTO support group
Self Surrendering
List of items allowed in during self surrender.
· cash/ money order (to be posted to your account)
· a religious medal or cross and chain (valued at no more than $100)
· a pair of earrings (they aren’t allowing big hoops anymore) (valued at no more than $100)
· wedding band (gold or silver – no jewels)
· eyeglasses (2 pairs allowed – one pair may be prescription sunglasses)
· legal documents (call ahead to see what is allowed)
· medications (again, not all will necessarily go in with you, call first)
- picture ID (to be kept on file during stay)
- Soft cover Bible is usually permitted

Photos, soft cover books (including bible) can/should be sent via mail - not taken in at self surrender, in case R&D decide to not allow it.

What I can expect when arriving:
Survival - Staying below the radar:
1. Don't complain. there are women there doing big time and they don't want to hear your complaints
2. The food is fair; like a cheap cafeteria (there is always salad)
3. It helps to be quiet for the first few weeks and watch and listen.

Your experience in prison will be what you make it. You can bemoan your fate all the time or you can use the time to reflect and work on whatever issues you feel you need to work on. You are already there and nothing will probably change that. Prison is not a fun place to be, but a positive attitude goes a long way.

Things to watch out for: groups formed for a particular reason, gossip and pettiness, relationships with other women based on favors/protection, gay sexuality (will land you in segregation (the hole)), contraband, drugs.

It has been stated often that violence is extremely rare in camps. If you stay away from the troublemakers you'll be just fine. No one will come up to you and just beat you up. No way. Most women just want to do their time. And if you do fight you will be shipped to a higher level institution. Alderson absolutely has a zero tolerance policy for violence. If you fight you get shipped. Period. If you have a history of violence you would probably not be designated to a camp. Most of the time there are just verbal arguments. Don't worry about being attacked while you are there. That is really the least of your worries. Just be respectful to others and you will find that most of the ladies are very kind.

For the most part the staff and officers are pretty cool; you respect them and generally they will respect you. Just do not try to put anything over on them; be where you are supposed to be when you are supposed to be, doing what you are supposed to be doing. NEVER make one of them look for you, and you will be fine, and NEVER screw up count. Remember to be courteous to your roommates. Clean up after yourself and do your share of the cleaning. The CO's do room inspections. Just be neat and you won't have any problems.

First 2 weeks - what it might be like:
There are anywhere 1000-1200 women at Alderson, but the compound is large and all of them are seldom in one place at one time, so it's not so noticeable. It opened in 1927, and it was modeled after a college campus in Maryland. I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you see the surroundings. There are no big fences, no barbed wire, and no locked doors.

You are not allowed to bring anything with you as far as clothing is concerned. The first thing that will do is go to R&D (receiving and discharge). This will probably take awhile. They will dress you out in a uniform. You're picture will be taken and you will meet with someone from medical to discuss any health issues that you have or any medication that you are taking. Usually whatever prescription medication you are taking they will let you keep on taking it as long as its non-narcotic. You will fill out some paperwork and they will assign you to a unit. Each place has different lay-out as far as the units go. Yes, you will be stripped searched. No cavity searches; they will do a visual search, and you will have to squat and cough; try to prepare yourself for that if you have never experienced it before.. Don't take it personal, the CO's have to do it. You will also be issued bedding, towels, and some general hygiene (soap, shampoo, tooth powder) to take with you to your unit. The next morning you will go to laundry to be issued your uniforms. They give you 3 pants, 3 shirts, 2 t-shirts, 5 underwear and 5 pairs of socks. You will also be issued black steel toed shoes (unless you have a medical restriction against steel-toes). Tennis shoes and boots are for sale at the commissary as well as extra underwear, socks, and real bras. The women in R&D aren't usually difficult, and usually the process goes smoothly.

All new commits are housed in Building A, Range 3 on the upper compound. It is a two story brick building that is less than 7 years old, and is divided into four sections; Range 1, Range 2, Range 3, and Range 4. There are about 140 women in each range, and all new commits start off in Range 3. You will be placed in the "bus stop" or in a "cube" where there is a bunk bed, two lockers, two under the bed lockers and a roommate. Each range has three TV rooms. microwaves, vending machines (snacks and pop), washers and dryers (if you don't want the laundry to do your clothes) and two large shower rooms. They even have a hair room where you can use blow dryers, curling irons and hair dryers. Range 1 and 2 are downstairs and Range 3 and 4 are upstairs.
You will spend two weeks in A & O (Admission and Orientation) learning the ins and outs of Alderson. The staff member who conducts these sessions is Darlene Johnson. She is a very nice person, but she is straight up, so don't be late for A & O. She will telll you about it in a heart beat and she will give you extra duty. So be early for A & O. It normally does not last all day, and you will have some free time during the day. After you complete A & O and are medically cleared, you will be placed in a job. Everyone works at Alderson. Usually everyone starts out in CDR (Central Dining Room). It's hard work and normally you can transfer to another position after 90 days.

Once you complete A & O, and are working you will be moved out of Range 3 into one of the other ranges because you are no longer a new commit. There are now two buildings – A building and B building. Each building has a Range 1, Range 2, Range 3 and Range 4. If you are eligible for the drug program you will end up in the B Building at some point.

Jobs
A little more detail on jobs: there are many places to work, including the kitchen, recreation, chapel, health services, landscape, education, and facilities. If you have a college degree you might want to go to education and ask about a job as a GED tutor. They can always use good tutors and it is so rewarding!! As far as how long it takes to get a job, it varies. Until you are "employed" you will probably be told by an officer to work in the unit with the orderlies cleaning. Your status will be "new commit" until you get a job. Alderson will let you actively seek a job instead of waiting to be assigned by the staff. Try landscape, education, facilities, recreation, the health services or the garage. (Don't worry, if you cannot find one - they'll give you one - - it's just better for you if you find it). Just staying in your room doing nothing is not allowed. You are required to work unless you have a medical condition that would prevent that. Usually ladies that cannot work due to their health end up going to Carswell.

Education and Recreation:
Alderson has several educational programs and recreation activities. If you don't have a GED you will be required to attend classes. There are also business classes and some college classes available. They also have the cosmetology program. This is a great program and it benefits everyone. Those being trained offer their services to inmates for hair cuts, perms, and hair dyed. They even offer facials and manicures. There is no cost to the inmates other than the cost of the perms or dyes which are purchased at commissary.

The cosmetology, course is taught by outside contractors, and classes are 5 days a week, M-F from 12 - 8 p.m. At the end of the 18 month course the inmates are tested on site, and if they pass they are licensed cosmetologists in West Virginia. Since so many states have reciprocity for cosmetologists, the inmate usually only has to apply for their license in their home state, and doesn't have to test again.

Worship/Recreation
There is a rec center, law and reading library, volleyball team, softball team, craft classes, and you are allowed to be on the compound from 6:30 am - 10 pm except during count. The chaplain is a very nice woman by the name of Rev. Elizabeth Walker, and there are many, many types of all denominational services offered. Some of the choirs will blow you away! So much talent.

Schedule (average day for inmate)
Every day is pretty much the same. Wake up at 6 a.m. and take a shower. Go to breakfast at 7 and then report to job detail by 7:30 or 8:00 for roll call. Worked until 11 a.m. Work site will release you for lunch at designated time (between 10:45 – 12:00). Lunch lasts until 12:30. Work until 3:45 in the afternoon. At 4 p.m is stand up count. After count clears the units are released for dinner. You have free time up until 10 p.m. count. After that count clears you can go watch television but are not allowed outside. Lights out at 11:00pm.

The weekends are a little different as there is brunch instead of lunch. There is also a 10:00 a.m. count on Saturday, Sunday and holidays. If you don't work your time is pretty much free. There is a stand up 4:00 count EVERY DAY. (DON’T EVER SCREW UP THEIR COUNT!!!)

[I](This information was compiled from first hand experience as well as quotes/notations by other PTO members - this is for the sole purpose of aiding those headed to Alderson as well as those amazing family/friends/loved-ones graciously supporting those in Alderson!!!:clap: )

princesshnlr
07-13-2006, 03:21 PM
As of July 06 they are able to send e-mail. You have to be added to an approved mailing list. And no attachments.

starduster906
07-20-2006, 07:46 AM
How do I go about getting on this e-mail list and how does it work?!?!

My mom is in alderson, and it would be sooooo great if I could e-mail her!!

bouyasgurl
03-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Hello are you in prison now ... Im lookin for my Aunt ...

bouyasgurl
03-12-2007, 09:26 AM
stillmommysgirl,

Your mom should bring a list of her medications with her. When she is booked at R&D (Receiving and Discharge) she will either see someone from Health Services there, or be sent to Health Services before she goes to her housing unit. When I was at Alderson, inmates were allowed to keep all non-narcotic medications with them, including inhalers. Injections of any kind, pain medication, allergy meds, any kind of sedative had to be dispensed at Health Services by medical staff.

Again, Alderson is a work camp. All inmates are assigned a job once they have been medically cleared. Jobs are supposed to assigned according to an inmate's physical limitations. It was my experience while I was there, if an inmate cannot be medically cleared ,to do even the most menial task, they were transferred to a medical facility. You might want to double check this with PTO members cjjack, grayghost, or jackdaniels. :)
Hello are you in Alderson Now... Im looking for my Aunt , Her name is Audrey Mcgirt... I just recently seen her this past weekend... I haven't seen her in 6 yrs, but now I can't keep in touch with her ... I lost her adress ... Please help me !!!!

AllYouNeedIsLuv
03-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Hi, I am very new to this site! My mother and stepfather are both going to FPC's and we just found out that my mom is going to Alderson. We are very sad because it is 14 hours away from our home. Does anyone else have to deal with such a long distance? We have so many questions and this site has answered most of them and has really been comforting actually. My mom had a few questions like... Do they in fact have email there? Can you wear contacts? And what type of stuff does the facility provide besides clothing? Ie. Toiletries, vitamins etc...? Thank you!

ceynn81
07-05-2007, 10:31 PM
I recently received my ss letter and I also will be going to Alderson. It is a 12 hour drive for my family.. so yeah its not exactly close for my family either and I have already prepared myself for few visits since it is so far away.

FriscoLady
07-07-2007, 01:31 AM
Hello are you in Alderson Now... Im looking for my Aunt , Her name is Audrey Mcgirt... I just recently seen her this past weekend... I haven't seen her in 6 yrs, but now I can't keep in touch with her ... I lost her adress ... Please help me !!!!

Hi, no none of us here are in prison currently.

However, if your Aunt is a Alderson you can get her address & register no. anytime on the Bureau of Prisons (BOP) website.

Here is the addy though:

INMATE NAME & REGISTER NUMBER
FPC ALDERSON
FEDERAL PRISON CAMP
GLEN RAY RD. BOX A
ALDERSON, WV 24910

This is the link to the BOP website:

http://www.bop.gov/

Patti

Ilene
07-07-2007, 11:19 AM
I Just Came From Alderson And It Is Not A Good Place Either. My Daughter Is Still There And She Has Some Serious Medical Issues And They Are Taking There Time About Helping Her. We Have Contacted Our Senator And Are Trying To Enlist Her Help But That Is Slow Too. They Do Have E Mail And That Helps A Lot. They Do Provide You With Clothes. There Is Two Hills To Climb. The Ranges Are On Top Of Hill And Everything Else Is At The Bottom. There Food Is Not Good And Most Of It Is Out Dated Some By Two Or Three Years. I Lost 35 Pounds While I Was There Which Was Good For Me. If You Have Any More Questions Just Ask. Thanks Ilene

ackykaky
08-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Miss Upset,

I was at Alderson for 16 months and came home this past February. I think I can answer your questions for you. Before you can visit, all visitors have to be approved and placed on the inmate's visitation list. You are automatically on the list if you (or any other adult visitors) are listed in the inmate's PSI. If you are not in the PSI, you have to complete an application form, and they will do a background check and notify the inmate if you are approved. This can take several weeks depending on the counselor.

Each inmate can have 3 adults and an unlimited number of children under 16 visit at one time. The regular visitation hours are from 8a - 8p Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and from 8a - 3p on Mondays. Visits are rarely terminated early because of overcrowding at Alderson. They have a very nice visitation center with a special room for kids filled with toys and activities. If the weather is nice you can go outside and sit on the covered patio or tables and swings. They have vending machines and a good assortment of soda, sandwiches, pizza, chips, candy and other snacks. If you can bring rolls of quarters with you because sometimes the change machines are out. During the holdiays (Christmas to New Year's) the visitation hours are extended. Weekdays are from 8a-3p everyday, and regular visitation hours Friday-Sunday. If you plan to visit on Christmas Day, you are able to attend church services with your loved one, but you have to be there before 12 noon and inform the officers on duty that you will be attending church.

If you have an other questions or need more information, please send me a private message and I will be glad to help you. Oh, and by the way, there is also a Hospitality House near the camp where you can stay for free or for a small donation.

Vicki

What is the PSI???:confused:

Zelda50
08-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Presentence Investigation Report. It's also sometimes called a "PSR."

NicoleW2714
12-31-2007, 08:45 AM
I self surrender on Jan7 08, do they have a gym? What is the normal work schedule so that you will have free time to workout or participate in any other activities?

Thanks

morphine123
04-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Just an fyi on the earrings...do NOT bring hoops. Just small metal studs is best. They are getting very picky.

dawn1969
11-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the detailed info. It helps a lot. I don't know if you still read this since the post was so old, but if so, thanks again. I self-surrender to Alderson January 5 for a 50 month sentence. I have been approved for RDAP so hopefully won't serve all of that. My kids are 16 and 18, it will be hard for them, and the stress on my marriage has been difficult.

I am a lawyer - charge was bank fraud. In today's mortgage climate, harsh sentences are being handed out for mortgage fraud issues. Any advice particular to being a lawyer on the inside?

Also - the two questions I can't seem to get answered are can I wear contacts and can I mail myself 5 softbound books prior to surrenduring so they are there when I get there? If I don't have something to read I think I will go crazy.

Thanks for your help and anyone else who might be able to answer these questions. I truly appreciate this forum b/c without it, I would be going in blind and nothing would be scarier than that.

DebAP
11-18-2008, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the detailed info. It helps a lot. I don't know if you still read this since the post was so old, but if so, thanks again. I self-surrender to Alderson January 5 for a 50 month sentence. I have been approved for RDAP so hopefully won't serve all of that. My kids are 16 and 18, it will be hard for them, and the stress on my marriage has been difficult.

I am a lawyer - charge was bank fraud. In today's mortgage climate, harsh sentences are being handed out for mortgage fraud issues. Any advice particular to being a lawyer on the inside?

Also - the two questions I can't seem to get answered are can I wear contacts and can I mail myself 5 softbound books prior to surrenduring so they are there when I get there? If I don't have something to read I think I will go crazy.

Thanks for your help and anyone else who might be able to answer these questions. I truly appreciate this forum b/c without it, I would be going in blind and nothing would be scarier than that.

Dawn-
Yes you can wear contacts - but there's no guarantee commissary may or maynot carry your solution or cleaning products. Bring your glasses too.
You can mail your books - but if they get their before you do they'll be returned. When you get to Alderson - look up Sharon Wolford. Or if you PM me and give me your real name and I'll get the information to Sharon!
Let me know if I can help answer any other questions!
Deb

melanie79
11-19-2008, 11:32 PM
What was the time frame for your sentencing date to your surrender date? I was sentenced friday th 14th but have not yet received a surrender date Thanks for the detailed info. It helps a lot. I don't know if you still read this since the post was so old, but if so, thanks again. I self-surrender to Alderson January 5 for a 50 month sentence. I have been approved for RDAP so hopefully won't serve all of that. My kids are 16 and 18, it will be hard for them, and the stress on my marriage has been difficult.

bratsfather
08-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Hello i'm new here . I daughter is in the camp . She slipped on some water and broke her wrist . She had a bandage on it . She called crying saying it's broken and they won't fix it . Too late . They took her to the doctor . The doc had to brake it and put pins in it . Now she has scars and the doc said it will never be right again . Any help ? Thanks , brats father .

bratsfather
08-31-2009, 05:07 PM
I Just Came From Alderson And It Is Not A Good Place Either. My Daughter Is Still There And She Has Some Serious Medical Issues And They Are Taking There Time About Helping Her. We Have Contacted Our Senator And Are Trying To Enlist Her Help But That Is Slow Too. They Do Have E Mail And That Helps A Lot. They Do Provide You With Clothes. There Is Two Hills To Climb. The Ranges Are On Top Of Hill And Everything Else Is At The Bottom. There Food Is Not Good And Most Of It Is Out Dated Some By Two Or Three Years. I Lost 35 Pounds While I Was There Which Was Good For Me. If You Have Any More Questions Just Ask. Thanks Ilene

Hello . My daughter is in there . She said there is little or no help .
Thanks , brats father .

bratsfather
09-05-2009, 06:49 PM
thanks for ? help

bratsfather
09-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Sorry , i see your having trouble with your health .

bratsfather
09-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Hello . Talked to my daughter today . She said they can't use the computers to look up this forum and talk to anyone , is that right ?

mimmis1
09-18-2009, 09:51 AM
i am pretty sure they cannot access the internet just send emails to those on thier approved list

bratsfather
09-18-2009, 11:19 PM
i am pretty sure they cannot access the internet just send emails to those on thier approved list

If there in there what good is it if they don't know were talking and thinking about them ?
Thanks

bigdaddya1969
10-19-2009, 10:34 AM
thanks my wife is in county jail waiting they seem to think she will go to this prison
or the one in lexington

sandidb1001
11-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Hi, I am new to prison talk and have just recently been sentenced to 42 months at Alderson. I do not have a surrender date yet. Any information or additional insight will be appreciated. I have 4 small children ages 5 - 12 and this is going to be devastating for them. I am trying to qualify for the RDAP program and would appreciate it if anyone can give me some insight on how to do that before I surrender. It seems it would be better if that was approved upfront. I am currently working with a drug addiction psychiatrist who is working on detoxing me and am in drug and family therapy besides. So far my children are handling it as well as can be expected, but it gets a little worse as time goes on. Everytime I go out they think I am not coming back. If anyone can give me ides on helping my children thru this I would appreciate it. Also just to make things a little worse, when I get out my husband will be going to fpc lewisburg for 63 months. He will get some time off as he has already been approved for RDAP, but at a minimum my children will be without one of their parents for 5-6 years and this is absolutely terrifying.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions appreciated.

sassylatina
11-28-2009, 10:29 AM
I was sentenced on November 12 and was told I would be self surrendering on January 4th. So it will be just around 6 - 7 weeks. I still haven't received a letter from the BOP which will tell me exactly where I will be going and from what I've read here sometimes the date the BOP gives u is different from what the Judge tells ya. So it's really a craps toss and we are at the mercy of the BOP. Best of luck to you and your family.

What was the time frame for your sentencing date to your surrender date? I was sentenced friday th 14th but have not yet received a surrender date

joeymags
12-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi, hope all is well when you get there.. As for me, I spent 13 years as a federal prosoner, released 10 years ago... My advise to you is to have the children visit, phone calls and write.. You will find out that the best way of doing time is to work 7 days per week, get into a 7 day workout program with running & walking.. Your children should be fine, they adapt fine as long as the outside family keeps up the morals and proper up bringing.. Although it seems like a long time to do, what you have, it will pass. It depends on you, how you program.. Just live your life inside as if your a POW and do not kiss ass to the guards.. Be civil, and not over friendly, because "if" something happens negative in there and your known as being friendly with the guards, you will be labled a snitch, even if your not.. You will make a few, and I mean very few friends in there that will transend into the free world when you leave and they leave.. Most inmate are only out for themselves, at least in male prisons. Please remember these few things, do not show too much kindness, because some minorities take that as your weekness and play you, you will figure who to be good with in time. Do not be overly firendly with the staff, you will be labled a snitch. Write your kids everyday, you have the time. In male BOP, most of the wives or girlfirends leaves the relationship within 18 months, I can not say what it is for females incarcerated, so mail, phone and visit alot. Your time will pass and you will be out, it will go slow at times and fast at times, it is up to you.. The final thought, these are 1996 statistics, 86% of all federal inmates cooperated on their present case, so do not talk about things you did that you did not get caught for. And do not talk about hooking up with prisoners to give thm jobs or favors when you get out. You went to prison alone, you did your time alone and you will get out alone. Good luck.. Joe

sunshinesmiles
12-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Hi, I am new to prison talk and have just recently been sentenced to 42 months at Alderson. I do not have a surrender date yet. Any information or additional insight will be appreciated. I have 4 small children ages 5 - 12 and this is going to be devastating for them. I am trying to qualify for the RDAP program and would appreciate it if anyone can give me some insight on how to do that before I surrender. It seems it would be better if that was approved upfront. I am currently working with a drug addiction psychiatrist who is working on detoxing me and am in drug and family therapy besides. So far my children are handling it as well as can be expected, but it gets a little worse as time goes on. Everytime I go out they think I am not coming back. If anyone can give me ides on helping my children thru this I would appreciate it. Also just to make things a little worse, when I get out my husband will be going to fpc lewisburg for 63 months. He will get some time off as he has already been approved for RDAP, but at a minimum my children will be without one of their parents for 5-6 years and this is absolutely terrifying.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions appreciated.

Hello
My mom has been sentenced to 2 years at Alderson and will self surrender early next year. I am so nervous for her, and I will miss her dearly. she is my best friend. she is such a good person with a good heart who just made a mistake. i just want u to know there are good people (like my mom) who will be there and i hope you two can meet up and get through it together.

sunshinesmiles
12-12-2009, 02:40 PM
How do I go about getting on this e-mail list and how does it work?!?!

My mom is in alderson, and it would be sooooo great if I could e-mail her!!

hi
my mom is going to Alderson early next year for two years. could you tell me if the bathrooms or showers are private or are they both just out in the open?

Thanks

crazyoldmac
01-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Hello
My mom has been sentenced to 2 years at Alderson and will self surrender early next year. I am so nervous for her, and I will miss her dearly. she is my best friend. she is such a good person with a good heart who just made a mistake. i just want u to know there are good people (like my mom) who will be there and i hope you two can meet up and get through it together.

Hi, just wanted to know when your mother has to report. I was sentenced today 1/5/10. If you PM me I would like for you to have her look me up when I get there. I also made a mistake and never been in trouble before.

Thanks

HeavenlyBella
01-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Hi.. I was sentenced on Jan 8th, 2010.. and I am supposed to self report on March 8th.. I have never been in trouble ever! I am petrified! I am going in not knowing one thing about prison.. other then reading these forums.. and watching t.v. I am a mother of 2 and have been married going on 18 yrs.. I am 35 yrs old.. I am only supposed to be serving 5 months.

LAURA87
06-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Dawn-
Yes you can wear contacts - but there's no guarantee commissary may or maynot carry your solution or cleaning products. Bring your glasses too.
You can mail your books - but if they get their before you do they'll be returned. When you get to Alderson - look up Sharon Wolford. Or if you PM me and give me your real name and I'll get the information to Sharon!
Let me know if I can help answer any other questions!
Deb

I just received my designation to Alderson and was given a number to call with any questions I had. My big concern is my contacts. I was told absolutely no contacts are allowed. Only 2 pairs of glasses. I never wear glasses because they make me dizzy. Is there any chance I was told wrong?

dekatboss
06-10-2010, 07:46 PM
I have a friend there and I can surely ask her??

bev090910
10-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Unicor call center will be closing November 5th this year. They will not be replacing it, the jobs will be disbursed through landscaping, Kitchen and other facilities. Its a shame, it takes away good paying jobs for a lot of women who get no outside assistance.

karijean
11-11-2010, 09:00 AM
I will be coming to Alderson prison in about 6 months and I smoke will I still be able to smoke there? Dont think I will be able to handle not smoking please let me know asap:confused:

karijean
11-11-2010, 03:05 PM
I have to turn myself in 3 months after my twins are born my name is Kari Jean Apfelbeck. my twins are due Jan 10 but are most likely going to be early but I'm hoping I go full term of coarse. I have a lot of questions about the prison and activities that they offer one of my top questions is WILL I BE ABLE TO SMOKE???? the rest have been pretty much answered by this site. but they said something about smoking will phase out in 2006 wish they would update this site because its 2010 and I'd like to know the current stats of the prison I will soon be going to :(

bev090910
11-11-2010, 04:01 PM
There is no smoking...period. Of course the officers smoke in front of the inmates, but you can't. I just came home 2 months ago from two years at Alderson. I would be happy to help you with info.

PINKSGIRL
01-09-2011, 01:26 PM
I will be coming to Alderson prison in about 6 months and I smoke will I still be able to smoke there? Dont think I will be able to handle not smoking please let me know asap:confused:

unfortuneately, you will not be able to smoke. I was a smoker before I went in and honestly it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

PINKSGIRL
01-09-2011, 01:30 PM
There is no smoking...period. Of course the officers smoke in front of the inmates, but you can't. I just came home 2 months ago from two years at Alderson. I would be happy to help you with info.

just wanted to say congrats to you! I left in march to go to the mint program and came home in July. If u don't mind me asking what range were you in?

PINKSGIRL
01-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Unicor call center will be closing November 5th this year. They will not be replacing it, the jobs will be disbursed through landscaping, Kitchen and other facilities. Its a shame, it takes away good paying jobs for a lot of women who get no outside assistance.

I definitely agree with you about unicor. My bunkie was 54 years old and was working there for 4 years. She was lucky enough to get a jop in the paint shop that she loves. Other than that I feel for the elders who will wind up with jobs in cdr if they are unable to be placed elsewhere. the only good thing about me working in cdr is that I was pregnant and knew half of the cooks & servers so they looked out for me a lot, even in between lunch & dinner.

bev090910
01-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Lived in B4 most of the time. When I lost my callcenter job in May I became a dog trainer and lived in A2 from May to September 2010.

karijean
02-25-2011, 10:07 AM
is there anyone who has currently got home from Alderson I have to go in june 2011 and would like some info about how it is now not in 2009????

Dr. B
02-27-2011, 02:52 AM
Hi;
I left Alderson April 2010 - somethings have changed since I left but somethings are still the same. In a thread in one other forum a women who left a few months ago answered some questions, if you search the threads I am sure that you will find it. Having said that, Alderson is a low level facility, thus you have no wire, fence etc. It is molded for a college campus and it looks like one. You walk a lot, from the ranges (where you live) to the dinning hall, classes. work etc. When you arrive you will go to R & D (are you self surrenderer?) where you receive your laundry (clothes, bedding, etc); you will be placed in A-1, this is for all new inmates. You will on the "bus stop" an area with approximately 12 plus bunk beds, all out in the open. You will receive orientation while you are in A-1, after orientation (approx. 2 weeks) you will be assigned a range - if you stay in A-1, you will probably go to a "cube" (a space with no doors - bunk bed for you and your "bunkie", two lockers and a bind for under the bed (one for each of you). If you are assigned to another range then you go again to the "bus stop" until you are assigned a cube (you will be looking on the "call out" daily to see when you will be assigned a cube.
The "call out" is a document that comes out daily (except Sat. and Sun.) and tells each inmate about the appointments/assignments that they have for the next day. At any rate, less details, since Alderson is a low level facility, the women usually are on their "best behavior" because they do not want to transfered. It is a working facility, and thus you must have a job. If you can not find a job (you will be told how to go to the different work sites and place an application) you will be assigned a job (usually in the dinning hall/kitchen).
You work a shift daily and when your shift is over, you can attend classes, (if you do not have a high school diploma - YOU MUST TAKE GED CLASSES), exercise, read or watch TV. It is a lot like being in the "free" world, except you live with a lot of women in an open space, thus no privacy. You have individual shower/bathroom stalls, so you are allowed some privacy there.

Now for the "up" side, this will be an opportunity for you to "DO YOU". I used my time to get closer to GOD (there is a great chapel and the Sat. and Sun. services are very uplifting); I read a lot, I got into Christian Fiction and I really enjoyed it. Some of the women took knitting and crochet classes, others took exercise classes, other joined the choir and/or dance teams, we all learn to do something with our time - so that "you are just doing time and the time is not doing you". I learned to not worry about people nor things at home, than I had no control over; I found ways to communicate with my love ones that allowed me and them to learn to appreciate the little things, and most of all I learned to be very grateful for everything. The only regret I have, is that I did not take the different classes that would have given me a license (medical billing, cosmetology, etc), because when you leave you will be a felon, so it would great to have a license to have your own business. Other than that, I found that my time went by fast, I made some great friends (also met some people I would never like to see again) and I learned that GOD never puts you in a situation that he/she will not bring you out of. You will be fine, other specific things, like what can you bring, etc., can be found on the BOP website. If you have a specific question, feel free to direct mail and I will answer asap. Go with GOD and know all is in divine order.:thumbsup:

bev090910
02-27-2011, 06:51 AM
I came home in September 2010. I agree with everything Dr. B said. You cannot let it "do you". Keep busy, I worked at the callcenter before it closed and worked as a dog trainer. It took me a minute to learn that everything outside was out of my hands. That was the hardest part other than being away from my family. I learned to crochet and have made beautiful blankets for presents. I cherish every little thing now, and there is not a lot that can upset me. I am stronger than I have ever been. I took yoga, excercise classes and came home pretty fit. I exhausted myself every day. Have faith, if you have any questions I will be happy to answer.

Bev

Marla&Phyllis
03-04-2011, 12:21 AM
I just received my designation to Alderson and was given a number to call with any questions I had. My big concern is my contacts. I was told absolutely no contacts are allowed. Only 2 pairs of glasses. I never wear glasses because they make me dizzy. Is there any chance I was told wrong?

While this is too late for Laura, it might help someone else. The current Alderson handbook says that you can only wear contacts if your eye condition prohibits wearing glasses. So, if you're like Laura and your eye condition might qualify you for contacts, bring a letter from your eye doctor detailing why glasses just won't do.

Marla&Phyllis
03-04-2011, 12:23 AM

It's smoke-free for inmates. I hope you've been trying to quit.

Marla&Phyllis
03-04-2011, 12:27 AM

I'm reporting 3/15 and worried about how they will handle my disabilities. At home I use a combination of electric scooter, bariatric rollator, and hiking sticks -- plus use temperpedic bed to keep from cramping due to advanced fibromyalgia. The judge sentenced me to time in prison, not physical torture.

sjanet96
09-15-2011, 09:01 PM
do anyone know if tamara barkly(case manager) or don williams(unit manager) still at alderson w.v.

sjanet96
09-17-2011, 01:38 PM
:thumbsup:do anyone know if tamara barkly(case manager) or don williams(unit manager) still at alderson w.v.

waitingpatienty
10-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Hi I recently just got back from doing at year there in Alderson. I used to get visit all of the time. You can have up to 4 adults and any amount of children at one time. You can visit as many days as you want to. Visit are Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Mondays .....Friday ar 11-6 and every other day is 8-3. You can stay the entire time and the visit areas are very casual, just a bunch of rooms and people just hang around and visit with their families. Bring lots of change to feed your inmate, they will love to eat real food during visit. Ask me anything you want and I will try to help you out.

waitingpatienty
10-10-2011, 10:02 AM
do anyone know if tamara barkly(case manager) or don williams(unit manager) still at alderson w.v.

they are not, i just got home form there

kittywill
10-01-2012, 12:13 PM
How do I private message you on here? Im new on here

MiniMoose
10-02-2012, 05:07 AM
To send a private message (PM), click on the user name, then select the send private message option.

lookingforhelp3
05-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Hello. I need any & all info on Alderson & any info about how to get transfered. I really need to help my sister plz!!

Diesel4875
05-18-2013, 12:55 PM
In order to request transfer there must be a serious reason. For most transfers you have to have completed 18 months of your sentence. I was at Alderson and all ill say is that transfers were mainly for medical reasons, and prisons have to have room for you (even if you are trying to transfer for non-medical issues). Alderson is one of the better facilities if your healthy but medical treatment was not up to par - they had just got a new medical director right before I left. I know it's a tough time, but hang in there.