View Full Version : Question about how much time he'll serve of his sentence

Mosesmom
11-08-2008, 07:53 PM
My son has just been sentenced to 10 yrs in Iowa. Don't know what to do. He is only 19 and first time in prison. Does anyone know how long in Iowa 10 years really means?

tarclay
11-09-2008, 10:43 AM
my brother was sentenced to 10 years, but he did get the min/man of 18 months. His probation officer said that even WITHOUT a min/mandatory sentence, a 10 year prison sentence would be about 18 months WITH good behavior.

dcforjm
11-09-2008, 01:07 PM
That is what we were told also wtih a 10 yr sentence. Mine is suppose to go up for parole hearing in J anuary but not sure what will happen since its only been one year that he has been in. We just hope and pray that we may get lucky and he gets to come home soon.

Di

tarclay
11-09-2008, 02:45 PM
And I guess I never expect the best thing to happen with the prison system... I expect the worst and thank our lucky stars if he gets out early. :)

starr_poet
11-21-2008, 03:19 PM
so maybe a 5 year would be 9? i was told mi Papi will go up for parole in 8 months.. I HOPE so!!!!!!

tarclay
11-22-2008, 06:53 PM
I would guess so... as long as there isn't a minimum/mandatory sentence... also he would have to make sure that he doesn't get into any trouble when he is in there.

mjlenz
12-05-2008, 07:34 PM
It makes a big difference on what the crime was. My wife is in for vehicular homicide (10 yrs) and some of the women are doing close to 4 years and then there are people that get paroled from the hole. From what I've seen with the parole board I wouldn't bet on anything. I have heard some absolute horror stories about the board.

JOSHZWiFEE09
12-05-2008, 07:47 PM
WELL YA'LL ARE LUCKY. WE GOT 4 YEARS AND WERE SERViN EVERY MiNUTE OF iT.

mjlenz
12-05-2008, 07:59 PM
You're right I've got a buddy in Missouri doing 50 and he's been there 29 years now. They don't get good time on a 50 in Missouri. In Iowa he would have probably been paroled 13 years ago. Hoping for the best for him next September.

st.mitch
12-09-2008, 07:27 PM
severity of crime definitely makes a difference. was the ten year sentence a plea bargain stemming from a much larger sentence? was the crime against a person or was it a property? when i served time, sentences were cut in half upon entering IMCC. Then any time served in jail was deducted. After that, if you walked a straight line, every month served was rewarded with three days of "good time". Now, the sentence remains ten years, but every day served with no trouble is rewarded with one day of good time. I believe there is still an additional three days a month taken off of the sentence also. This way, when an inmate screws up bad they can take a lot more good time away and the real problem child can now serve their entire sentence rather than still get out after serving only half. In 1996 I received a ten year sentence and served nearly three years even though i had only minor reports for rule violations. During that time I witnessed total maniacs come in, get wrote up every day, get paroled and then come back six months later... I called that life on the installment plan. Not sure if I will be able to find this thread again, my email is st.mitch@hotmail.com if you have more questions. Hope all works out for the better!! LOOK FOR THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST welcome to the IDOC

TJ'sLady
12-13-2008, 11:10 AM
depending on the crime he'll most likely do 18mos however bsince the iowa prisons are so over crowed 10 yr sentences (if their non-violent) most likely qualify for a "reconsideration" meaning he'll pretty much get his numbert and come home a month later. last year they were givin out reconsiderations right and left!

mjlenz
12-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Tjslady,
You must not have read st.mitch or my replies. If you think that everyone gets out in 18 mo. doing a 10 yr you are sadly mistaken. My wife has been in for 21 mo. on a 10 yr, never been in trouble before and hasn't ever been wrote up while being locked up and she hasn't even got to see the parole board and probably won't for another year. st.mitch said it right though, there are people that are constantly in trouble while being locked up and are paroled quicker than others that walk a straight line only to return 6 mo. later. I've seen people get paroled from the hole. Welcome to the IDOC is right, you'll soon find it is one of the worst jokes you've ever seen in your entire life.

dcforjm
01-01-2009, 08:53 AM
My husband was denied on his first time at parole last month and we kind of expected that. Now I am just trying to find out if he canget a staff initiated parole hearing before a year goes by or not. The parole board told me that he could where as his counselor told him no he could not. But his counselor does not seem to be very helpful in any matters. Now today found out part of his appeal was denied but yet they said they were preserve part of it for future appeal. Not sure what that means now.

Di

Grettashouse
01-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Good luck to you all...no matter the time; it always feels like a lifetime.

mjlenz
01-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Good luck to you all...no matter the time; it always feels like a lifetime.

You are right about that!

TJ'sLady
03-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Tjslady,
You must not have read st.mitch or my replies. If you think that everyone gets out in 18 mo. doing a 10 yr you are sadly mistaken. My wife has been in for 21 mo. on a 10 yr, never been in trouble before and hasn't ever been wrote up while being locked up and she hasn't even got to see the parole board and probably won't for another year. st.mitch said it right though, there are people that are constantly in trouble while being locked up and are paroled quicker than others that walk a straight line only to return 6 mo. later. I've seen people get paroled from the hole. Welcome to the IDOC is right, you'll soon find it is one of the worst jokes you've ever seen in your entire life.

Like I said LAST YEAR they were giving out reconsiderations right and left, I only know this because I was in Mitchellville myself. I did not say that EVERYONE got one, yet a lot of people were getting reconsiderations while I was there. I'm sorry that your wife has done more than 18 mos but from my experience majority of 10 yr sentences get out within 18 mos. depending on the offense. I never once said that EVERYONE sentenced to 10 yrs gets 18 mos or a reconsideration so you must have misread my post.

Remotehope
05-06-2009, 09:52 PM
My hubby is in on a 10 year.. He's been in for 8 months and was just up for parole. He was denied and the reasons they gave were his classes weren't over, which he has 7 left, 3 weeks. The second reason was they had to check on something from his past, which was 20 years ago..... I say give it up already.

I thought I read somewhere that the parole board was not supposed to be able to look at past crimes.

I know when he was sentenced his attorney told us that a 10 year sentence meant 4 years 199 days, that's total discharge when done. He also said it was like 1.5 days for every day served. I have heard that 18 months is pretty common but not for everyone. When my hubby came up for parole I actually researched the parole website and people who were paroled and people who were denied trying to get a sense of what would happen. No luck...... They just don't make much sense at all!

Benny's Wife
06-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Here is an earned credit calculator go to
iowapublicdefender com/tools/earned_credit2 html

this will let you know how long till your discharge date. It is possible to get parole before the discharge date so long as the person finishes whatever treatment they were suppose to take.

Benny's Wife
06-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Here is another good page about earned time in Iowa
www iowapublicdefender com/outlines/FUN%20WITH%20NUMBERS pdf