View Full Version : What Sets Off a Metal Detector Besides the Obvious Things?

Isweoriswenot
11-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Okay I have heard of people setting off metal detectors for having underwire in their bras in some prisons while in other prisons they can get through a metal detector with underwire bras and wearing little copper buttons on jeans without setting off metal detectors?

So my question is does it depend on the sensitivity of the machines or how they program them at certain facilities?

My man might be getting transferred to another facility and I have heard the machines can be different at different facilities.

Al'swife2012
11-11-2008, 06:14 PM
yea i heard about some underwire bras, but it never happened to me. But the buttons on my jacket set it off. The office ran the handheld metal detecor across me so it wasnt a big deal.
I know metal in some shoes mostly boots like timbs and boots with heels(stilettos),most of the time i wear sneakers, if i wear boots they are easy to put back on, dont want a hassle, i want to go str8 through. I only have to take off my belt and jewelry.
Just be mindful of the things you wear, limit the extra accessories. As far as the sensitvity of the machines, i dont think there is to much of a difference.The best way to know will be your first time going.

light at end
11-11-2008, 07:54 PM
You really never know how sensitive the dectors will be. Sometimes my bracelets set them off and sometimes they don't. Just limit the metal as much as possible and have a change of clothes and a bra w/o a underwire in your car just in case.

Princess737
11-11-2008, 08:03 PM
I've noticed it seems to be set higher around the holidays- jewelry I'll have worn through dozens of times SUDDENLY sets it off- it's weird. I'll wear the SAME outfit I've worn before with no problems, right down to the shoes and jewelry and suddenly go off. I swear sometimes they just wanna keep you on your toes and switch it up! lol

patswife4-ever
11-11-2008, 10:18 PM
It is so unpredictible every time you go. I have gone to visit at least 3 or 4 times with my (prescription) glasses on my head and NEVER had a problem. The last time I went through, my glasses set it off!!!

24jf
11-12-2008, 07:56 AM
I was actually told when setting up a special visit to see my boyfriend that the sensitivity depends on the CO who turns on the metal detector on any given morning and what mood they are in :eek:

I wore an underwire bra and necklace on both days I visited and no problems. Men with belts were setting it off... some shoes were setting it off. In both cases the handheld scanner was brought out until the exact cause was pinpointed and then they were left through.

CosmoKK
11-12-2008, 04:50 PM
What I think is odd, is I will go through the metal detector at the airport with no problems. A few hours later, same outfit, same jewelry, the prison detector will go off. Odd to me that the prison is set higher than the airport.

his#1 bball fan
11-12-2008, 06:55 PM
At my husband's prison even the back little hooks of our bra's sets the darn machine off :eek::eek: So if you're big busted you gotta find one with a narrow back strap I guess :rolleyes: And we definetely CANNOT wear underwire in them...it sets the machine every time! If you make the machine beep they will not let you thru and make you go back and change.

Big Sis #1
11-17-2008, 03:45 PM
The sensitivity level on the detectors is adjustable.
Other things that might set the detector off: belt buckles, any metal placed in your body from surgery (like knee or hip replacements).

Marseille
11-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Hairpins will set it off! They have made me take hairpins out before but they give them back and let me put them back in my hair as soon as the search was done. Also those little metal fasteners on the insides of dress pants. I've worn an underwire bra every time and never had a problem. Heavy gauge piercings will set it off. I've never been told to change... if you set off the walk-through machine they do a wand, if you set off the wand you have the option of either changing your clothes or having a pat-search by the same-sex CO. They also do random pat searches but they are not at all intrusive.

or-mtwt
12-01-2008, 07:17 PM
here any type of high heal shoe that is not a wedge heal will set it off but then they turned up the power on them when we lost a officer at one of the prisons... they are so high here even the CO's have to take off their boots to get though.

Isweoriswenot
12-07-2008, 09:21 AM
I've been off of PTO for a minute, but I know of the machines going off when people have designer jeans on with the metal logos on the back (apple bottoms, baby phat,etc) so I was just curious and I had seen people with bobby pins like a poster said that will set the detector off, but then at other places it didn't even beep.

penpal915
12-12-2008, 01:18 AM
When my brother was in Fed a few years back, the damned metal detector kept going off even after I'd removed everything that could have possibly set it off; I was wearing a sports bra, tennis shoes, no belt, keys were in the little tray, yoga-style pants with no buckles or buttons, etc. The guard asked me if I'd ever had surgery or if I had any implants of any kind. The only thing she and I determined it could be is my IUD, which is the Para-Gard IUD. It has copper wrapped around the arms of the device. She let me through, since there was no way I could take that out! Those detectors must have been uber-sensitive!

Angelsdelight
12-12-2008, 05:04 AM
What about piercings, Do they set them off ?? For when i eventually get out there i was gonna buy bioplast jewelry for all of them, its like silicone , because i don't think i could put up with taking every thing out & putting it all back in

PTO-92958
12-12-2008, 12:45 PM
I had a candy in my pocket once...a Werther's Original...the foil wrapper set it off.
I couldn't figure out what it was that was beeping til the officer said "Are you sure you have nothing in your pockets?". Oops. :p

sabina
12-12-2008, 01:25 PM
I have body piercing jewelry and it does not set the dector off but an underwire bra will.

rvlm
12-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Any long metal object,no matter how thin, is more likely to set off a metal detector than a small concentrated piece of metal.

PTO-79211
12-12-2008, 06:53 PM
I know that I have seen some women who's bra's do set off the metal detector not because they have the underwire in them...but because on the strapes they have a little piece of metal that holds it together. Also...sometimes the latches on the backs of the bra's will set it off...its very unnerving :rolleyes: