View Full Version : "Detainers?" what does this mean?

RavenHart113
11-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Can anyone tell me what "Detainers?" is and what it means if there is a "y" beside it..its from the doc website on my boyfriends public info...He wants to know what it means..next to Detainers?"Y" "Escapes?" "N" He thinks its other charges and hes worried about it so any thoughts would be great!THANKS!!

xgot420issuesx
11-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Can anyone tell me what "Detainers?" is and what it means if there is a "y" beside it..its from the doc website on my boyfriends public info...He wants to know what it means..next to Detainers?"Y" "Escapes?" "N" He thinks its other charges and hes worried about it so any thoughts would be great!THANKS!!

A detainer is placed against a person who has fines or warrants for their arrest.
A "Y" would mean yes and "N" would mean no.
My husband has 2 detainers because of unpaid fines. So I have to have the fines taken care of before he is released if I don't, the county sheriffs will be waiting at the door of the prison for him to take him back to the county jail to await a hearing on it.
When a person has detainers, the DOC notifies whomever place it as to when he will be released. So there is no way to get around on. If it is for a fine however, as long as the fine is paid off or at least an arangement for payment has been made whoever issued the detainer, will lieft it and he can be released free. Or well on parole.
You husband can easiely find out who issued the detainers and for what, all he has to do is ask his counselor. They have to tell him.

xgot420issuesx
11-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Oh another thing, when my husband went to the county jail, they told him all about the detainers. When he was sent upstate, they informed him as well. He even got paperwork on it. I got a copy of one of the detainers just by calling the county jail and asking for it.

RavenHart113
11-14-2008, 02:55 PM
OH thanks soooo much...I will tell him...Its hard for him to even talk to his caseworker ,he had a review last month and they never came to see him! so he wrote the guy a letter but he has yet to hear from him..Again thank you!

ibby_08
01-27-2009, 12:24 AM
Hubby has a "Y" next to detainer. Called DA and they said he has a charge but the charge is a criminal summons. Does that mean that he will have to go back to jail or he will be released? The yes for detainer is confusing me :angry:

Mark2008
01-27-2009, 12:55 AM
A detainer is placed on a person to prevent them from being released to the outside at the conclusion of their sentence or parole.

Some people go from place to place, getting everything from felony charges to traffic tickets. They will skip court dates or whatever to avoid being caught. Well, once they are finally in custody, it is standard practice to check around and see what else the inmate has been up to. this is much easier in the computer age than it was years ago.

When an inmate has an outstanding ticket, or charge or court date or whatever, the agency involved places a "detainer" on him so that he won't "get away" and they can avoid spending time and money chasing him down again. At the conclusion of his current sentence, or business, he will be transported to the next place which placed a detainer on him, so that he can take care of business with them. I have known guys with 3 or 4 detainers, including INS, which is the end of the road (because they will ship you out the country once they get their hands on you).

Assuming the detainer is not for anything MAJOR (felony charge, ins, etc.), it actually works to the defendant's advantage, because he can take care of ALL of his outstanding business rather than someone coming to pick him again a few days or weeks later. Face it, you've already been busted, might as well get it all over at one time and move on with your life.

robby340
01-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Normally they will release you to where the detainer is at, not to the street. The good news is he should be able to get the detainer taken care of (and possibly have the time ran with what he has now) while he is still locked up.

Hubby has a "Y" next to detainer. Called DA and they said he has a charge but the charge is a criminal summons. Does that mean that he will have to go back to jail or he will be released? The yes for detainer is confusing me :angry:

hbaldwin11
08-08-2010, 05:30 PM
how do you find out where the detainer is from? there is a y next to detainers and i was wondering if there was a way to find out where it's from and if they will have to do more time or will it run with this time that they are already doing?

thugwife
08-08-2010, 06:17 PM
how do you find out where the detainer is from? there is a y next to detainers and i was wondering if there was a way to find out where it's from and if they will have to do more time or will it run with this time that they are already doing?

You will have to call the jail, NORMALLY they will tell you, it is public record. But sometimes they try to give you crap over it, if you're not married or family. If your man has a detainer, he will be picked up from that county upon his release from prison/jail. He will NOT get out first. They run a NCIS before anyone is released (at least here they do).

He will go to court to answer to whatever he was charged with, and its up to them if he does jail time, or probate it, or pay fines. He wont know nothing until he goes, HOWEVER you will be able to find out where and call there and find out the charges. The jail will probably NOT tell you the charges, even if they know. They will "likely" tell you where the county is he has a hold from.