View Full Version : Early release letter - please read

prisonreform22
11-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Hello everyone,

Thanks for being patient with me this week. I just wanted to get back and check my stats before sending this letter.

Please feel free to revise this letter to fit your own needs. Just remember to put your mailing address at the top, and your name at the bottom. If you are not a registered voter or a SC resident, just sign it concerned citizen....or something similar.

If you don't have time to address each letter to different legislators, just take out the address block and say Dear SC Legislator: But don't forget to address the envelopes to as many different legislators as you can....especially those on the House Ways and Means Committee and the Senate Finance Committee....

Important......also, do not forget to send one to the Governor and the State Treasurer. For those who are just now reading about this, look for my post under the other post about the early release bill. I have an attachment with the web links on who to write to.

The next budget control board meeting is December 9. I suggest we write as much as we can, and then challenge other friends, family members, churches...whoever can write and pick 10 friends to get to help....similar to a chain letter. I think this is a good start. You never know until you try!!! Hope this letter helps to get this process started!!!

Let's get to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

inmatemama
11-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Thank You sooo much for taking the time and effort to print this up for us.
Now, I HOPE and PRAY that everyone who honestly wants to help our loved ones come home, will put forth the effort to write these letters...It can only help!
You don't know how much I appreciate this! Thank you so very much, for your part, "Prison Reform"!!
Now, let's get to it, everyone! Our loved one's could possibly come home sooner, if we do this! Let's show them what PTO is all about!

prisonreform22
11-25-2008, 04:53 PM
For those of you just reading this post, I am attaching my letter again. I wanted to post again to remind everyone out there to send letters on behalf of your loved ones. Since they are not able to be with us for the Holiday, I am going to work on their behalf, and I am asking other family members to also help while we are sitting around watching TV and stuffing ourselves. There is strength in numbers, so I challenge all of you out there to ask friends and family members to write or even help you address and stamp envelopes over the Holiday weekend. Every little bit helps.

Also, I wanted to mention that I am turning my letter into an opinion letter for the state newspaper. I don't know if they will print it, but you never know, so if any of you want to do the same with your local newspapers, please feel free to use whatever you want from this letter....or you may want to draft one from scratch. Regardless, I think it is worth a try!!

I wish everyone a Blessed Thanksgiving!!

inmatemama
11-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Prison Reform,
I have revised your "sample" letter, and have already sent mine off...
I also printed out a copy of your "sample", and have given it to a few relatives, and people I know that care, and they too, will draw up their own version of your attatchment...
Thank you sooo much "Prison Reform", and Happy Thanksgiving!
I just wish my Husband could be home with me today! But at least we're working on it! I visited with him this morning... Maybe if we all pitch in, some of our Loved Ones, could be sitting at our dinner tables with us, for Thanksgiving, next year!
Please Help!

jbrown76
12-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Just wanted to update everyone that I also sent in this letter to several of our gov't leaders, including the Governor, himself. I had my family members and some of my classmates do the same over the past week or so (I'm a law student).

Well, my family members have all rec'd very generic responses for our representatives stating that they appreciated the opinion and "will keep those thoughts in mind" when making future decisions.

I on the other hand, received an email (I had listed my school email address on the letter) from a policy director in the Gov's office asking that I call me as soon as possible to discuss further my views on this issue.

I called immediately, but was transferred to voice mail. He did call me back this afternoon and we chatted for about 15 minutes. While the phone call was very pleasant and I was allowed to express my concern over prison overcrowding and underfunding, he seemed a bit put out when I expressed my displeasure at the Governor's off-handed remark that he wasn't likely to support the plan.

I did ask if the language of Ozmint's proposal will be available for public review anytime soon. His comment was that the "proposal" wasn't so much as a proposal as much as a "suggestion" that may or may not ever become legislation. I reminded him quickly that ALL legislation starts as a "suggestion" and deserved a thorough reading and full consideration.

I hope others out there are still sending this letter! :)

chi-fil
12-05-2008, 01:06 PM
I've mailed about 10-12 letters to various Senators, Members of the House, the Governor...etc. Will continue to mail.

kw1111
12-16-2008, 11:39 AM
hey ya'll...just wanted to let ya'll know that I sent about 10 of these letters out 3-4 weeks ago and today, someone from the governor's office called to tell me that they'd received my letter about the early release issue and they made sure to let me know that our Governor was not in support of this, however they are also aware that this is one way to make a large reduction in the doc budget deficit. The person i spoke with suggested that we send more of these letters to those who are responsible for the budget issues for the D.O.C. ......just thought ya'll might want to hear this!

jbrown76
12-16-2008, 12:05 PM
I don't want to get anyone's hopes up or anything, but my husband called me today to let me know that he had the inmate coordinator post the link to this letter a couple of weeks ago when I sent out my letters. Seems that several of the CO's took the initiative to add their SUPPORT to this measure as it benefits THEM when there is less overcrowding, riots, etc. There are several inmates in my husband's unit who are very short timers for non-violent crimes who everyone knows would be better off serving our their sentences in the probation system.

Anyway, the word around there today is that papers are already being circulated among prison management for the outline of an early release time line that will be effective immediately upon approval. I know it's prison gossip even it if it coming from the COs, but there have been other updates with his institution that everyone denied, but the COs admitted and it ended up coming true, so maybe we're on to something...

Keep the pressure on these people -- change can't happen without a voice!:cool: